PDA

View Full Version : Oh look I found a mock where we draft Peter Konz

Chris
04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1_17-32.asp

Devon Still is still available here, but we remain unconvinced he's a good scheme/somatype fit after the Bannan signing, even with McBean being released. Peter Konz represents similar value and would constitute a huge upgrade over J.D. Walton. While I like this pick if the Broncos stand here, I actually find it a great argument for trading back if the option presents itself. There is so much good and comparable talent available here. - Scott Nelson, Drafttek Broncos Analyst

TonyR
04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
I think there is a very high probability that the DT's they have graded as worth #25 are gone when they pick and that they either pick another position or trade down. If they have Konz (or whoever) graded better than Still (or whoever) they should take Konz unless it's really close and you use need as a tiebreaker.

Chris
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
They also have a us taking Worthy with our second pick (though they insist it's unlikely they recommend trading up to get him in the 2nd). That would be epic.

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound2_49-64.asp

Shananahan
04-17-2012, 10:36 AM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103749

Chris
04-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Ha! I'm going to have to look at your whole draft now.

Kaylore
04-17-2012, 10:50 AM

:giggle: I was going to post that. I actually thought the OP was about the mock draft.

pricejj
04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3559008&postcount=21

1-#25- Peter Konz (C) - All-Pro Center
2-#57- Derek Wolfe (DT) - Best production from a DT in the draft. If not take Jared Crick (DT).
3-#87- Jonathan Stewart (RB) trade. If not, draft Cyrus Gray (RB)
4-#108- Marvin McNutt (WR) - Big target, great hands, decent speed.
4-#120- Ryan Lindley (QB) - Peyton Manning's backup...for now.
5-#137- Levi Adcock (OT) - May eventually start...protected Weeden at OSU.
6-#188- Coty Sensabaugh (CB) - Replace Thompson on the depth chart.

cmhargrove
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm all about getting the best O-line possible, and I certainly wouldn't be upset with Konz, but I just feel there will be a lot of "better players" available with the #25 pick. Why not pick a guy who could be a true pass blocking Right Tackle - that's worth a first round pick.

What's wrong with picking up another Center like Molk in rounds 3-4? He won the Rimington award this year for the nations best Center, and is bigger than Konz.

I won't bitch either way, but I would think there is "better value" than Konz at 25. He will be an excellent player, but if we really want him I hope we trade down.

campocorto
04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Generally, centers are good value picks in the late 1st round range and J.D. Walton has proven to be a liability so far.

Still, Peter Konz lacks the strength and athleticism to warrant a 1st round pick selection. 18 reps at 225? That's ****ing weak.

I like center picks, but I do not like Konz! He will be "K-u-n-t-z" to me if we draft him!

BroncoBen
04-17-2012, 01:01 PM
I guess the argument can be made that Konz is not only the top rated Center coming out in the draft, but I believe he can also play guard.

The knock on him is he is a little tall... 6'5" for a NFL Center.

#25 may be a little high to be drafting Konz.. he is more like a mid-round 2nd round pick.

Taco John
04-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I'd like to either draft Konz or trade down.

ZONA
04-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I liked how our draft turned out. There were a few guys we had that literally disappeared the pick right in front of us but we both were happy how it turned out. Never reached on anybody for need and felt we got great value on each of the picks. To be honest, I wouldn't be disappointed if our draft looked something like this. If a premier DT is not there at #25, just wait till later. Not a ton of difference down the line after that and it's a deep draft for DT's. Go with BPA at first (Konz could be that guy) and then you can combine BPA and need together. We both thought MLB was a huge weakness on this team and Kendricks is a stud. Followed that up with a great RB, which we need and then filled the depth in with those DT's.

1-25 (25): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
2-25 (57): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal
3-25 (89): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
4-25 (123): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida
5-02 (138): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas
7-25 (235): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Thomas Mayo, WR, California (PA)

lonestar
04-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Not sure why all the hate for JD.. second year man played all the snaps for those two years, but was surrounded with different guys BEadles, then kuper then not kuper, then someone else then ramerez on the other side lots of changes also finally with beadles most of last year..

and when kuper was there he was also helping out franklin a lot. IIRC kuper was coming back from an ankle surgery last year also the reason we had multiple players there before the season started..

Most great OLs take years to master..

NOw if you want to replace the kid with a VEterans like Saturday, Oh wait he is gone, it is a maybe,,

but imperiling Manning's career behind a rookie center lets hope ttha EFX are smarter than that..

ZONA
04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I guess the argument can be made that Konz is not only the top rated Center coming out in the draft, but I believe he can also play guard.

The knock on him is he is a little tall... 6'5" for a NFL Center.

#25 may be a little high to be drafting Konz.. he is more like a mid-round 2nd round pick.

Most of the mocks I have seen he's gone in the 1st round.

Shananahan
04-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Thomas Mayo is a boom or bust pick, I think, but his potential was worth that final pick over some offensive lineman I looked at. Dude's 6'2" 200lbs, ran a 4.48 forty and carries a 40" vertical jump. More impressive than that, his stats for his final three years are ridiculous (albeit against weak competition).

<table align="left" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1&quot;" width="25%"><tbody><tr style="font-weight: bold;" align="right"><td align="center">Year</td> <td align="center">GP</td> <td align="center">REC</td> <td align="center">YDS</td> <td align="center">YPC</td> <td align="center">TD</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="center">2008</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td align="center">43</td> <td align="center">336</td> <td align="center">7.8</td> <td align="center">3</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="center">2009</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td align="center">72</td> <td align="center">1,368</td> <td align="center">19.0</td> <td align="center">11</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="center">2010</td> <td align="center">11</td> <td align="center">74</td> <td align="center">1,315</td> <td align="center">17.8</td> <td align="center">14</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="center">2011</td> <td align="center">13</td> <td align="center">79</td> <td align="center">1,359</td> <td align="center">17.2</td> <td align="center">16</td></tr></tbody></table>

ludo21
04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Im down with BPA, but not with Konz, im fine with Walton, he is growing up just fine into that center role.

pricejj
04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Generally, centers are good value picks in the late 1st round range and J.D. Walton has proven to be a liability so far.

Still, Peter Konz lacks the strength and athleticism to warrant a 1st round pick selection. 18 reps at 225? That's ****ing weak.

I like center picks, but I do not like Konz! He will be "K-u-n-t-z" to me if we draft him!

He actually lifted 23 at his Pro Day...

Peter Konz: 23
Maurkice Pouncey: 24
Nick Mangold: 25

Those are the best 3 Center prospects in the last several years. Literally no difference in bench press, and Konz is the most athletic of the three...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Those are the best 3 Center prospects in the last several years. Literally no difference in bench press, and Konz is the most athletic of the three...

Not to mention, he's got pretty long arms

BroncoInferno
04-17-2012, 01:37 PM
We aren't picking Konz.

pricejj
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Not to mention, he's got pretty long arms

Arm Length:
Peter Konz: 33"
Maurkice Pouncey: 32 1/2"
Nick Mangold: 31 7/8"
J.D. Walton: 33 3/8"

Chandler Jones (DE): 36"

Carmelo15
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
I liked how our draft turned out. There were a few guys we had that literally disappeared the pick right in front of us but we both were happy how it turned out. Never reached on anybody for need and felt we got great value on each of the picks. To be honest, I wouldn't be disappointed if our draft looked something like this. If a premier DT is not there at #25, just wait till later. Not a ton of difference down the line after that and it's a deep draft for DT's. Go with BPA at first (Konz could be that guy) and then you can combine BPA and need together. We both thought MLB was a huge weakness on this team and Kendricks is a stud. Followed that up with a great RB, which we need and then filled the depth in with those DT's.

1-25 (25): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
2-25 (57): Denver (Zona/Shanahany) - Mychal Kendricks, LB, Cal
3-25 (89): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Bernard Pierce, RB, Temple
4-25 (123): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida
5-02 (138): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Kheeston Randall, DT, Texas
7-25 (235): Denver (Zona/Shanahan) - Thomas Mayo, WR, California (PA)

You're draft wasn't bad at all. My favorite pick by far is Kendricks at 57. Getting him at 57 is money. He'd easily start MLB over Mays & Irving. I also like your day 3 picks. The only thing I would have changed if the board actually fell that way is you gotta take Fletcher Cox at 25. Then in the third I would have loved Brandon Washington to compete at LG and RT.

MVP-06
04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I actually like drafttek, it changes constantly. Last time they had us with Still. Pretty thorough site though.

campocorto
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Pro days are set up for players to succeed. He lifted 18 when it mattered most. It doesn't eliminate the red flag.

Plus, Konz has a history of ankle issues.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Pro days are set up for players to succeed. He lifted 18 when it mattered most. It doesn't eliminate the red flag.

Plus, Konz has a history of ankle issues.

Huh? Are you suggesting the bench at his proday was 180?

campocorto
04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Huh? Are you suggesting the bench at his proday was 180?

Could be.

Even if the bench was 225 at his Pro Day, I don't like the fact that Konz could only put up 18 reps when he was in a room full of amped up linemen trying outlift one another. He didn't rise up to the competition. He foiled under pressure. It's easy to perform your best when you are in your comfort zone in Madison, Wisconsin.

pricejj
04-17-2012, 03:04 PM

First, Konz had to put to bed the number 18, which haunted him since the combine. "There are tight ends and probably a running back or two that beat me," he said of his bench press reps. "It just burns through your pride." He worked with UW assistant strength coach Brian Bott and the results showed as Konz improved to 23 repetitions. "Brian Bott really helped me," Konz said. "He did a phenomenal job. That's a big leap from, what was it, a month ago until now?"

"I've just never been that great on the bench," Konz said. "I'm not going to lie and say it was a bad day or anything, it wasn't a bad day. It's just once I really trained for it harder, Brian put me through some heavier reps. I got 17 (reps) at 250 pounds, so I knew I could come here today and beat it."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/uw-football-konz-finally-gets-to-show-off-for-nfl/article_43db2746-7eb2-11e1-b142-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1sL0UD3yu

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Could be.

Even if the bench was 225 at his Pro Day, I don't like the fact that Konz could only put up 18 reps when he was in a room full of amped up linemen trying outlift one another. He didn't rise up to the competition. He foiled under pressure. It's easy to perform your best when you are in your comfort zone in Madison, Wisconsin.

I question how much it matters at all

lonestar
04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
First, Konz had to put to bed the number 18, which haunted him since the combine. "There are tight ends and probably a running back or two that beat me," he said of his bench press reps. "It just burns through your pride." He worked with UW assistant strength coach Brian Bott and the results showed as Konz improved to 23 repetitions. "Brian Bott really helped me," Konz said. "He did a phenomenal job. That's a big leap from, what was it, a month ago until now?"

"I've just never been that great on the bench," Konz said. "I'm not going to lie and say it was a bad day or anything, it wasn't a bad day. It's just once I really trained for it harder, Brian put me through some heavier reps. I got 17 (reps) at 250 pounds, so I knew I could come here today and beat it."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/uw-football-konz-finally-gets-to-show-off-for-nfl/article_43db2746-7eb2-11e1-b142-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1sL0UD3yu

SOunds like a winner

BUT I still do not want a rookie OC in front of Manning..

Still hoping that teh broncos will break a 50 year plus streak and DRAFT a DT..

ZONA
04-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I question how much it matters at all

I agree. As long as you're not weak, which he is not. It's just hard to throw up alot of reps with long arms. Being athletic and knowing how to use timing and leverage is much more important then some bench reps. We've seen some of the strongest combine warriors flunk in the NFL.

broncocalijohn
04-18-2012, 12:26 AM
I am waiting on what Mile High Mojoe says in his Fantasy Mock Draft. Nothing is the truth until MHM has put his seal of awesomeness's approval.

Archer81
04-18-2012, 12:36 AM
SOunds like a winner

BUT I still do not want a rookie OC in front of Manning..

Still hoping that teh broncos will break a 50 year plus streak and DRAFT a DT..

1998 does seem like a long time ago...

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
04-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Not sure why all the hate for JD.. second year man played all the snaps for those two years, but was surrounded with different guys BEadles, then kuper then not kuper, then someone else then ramerez on the other side lots of changes also finally with beadles most of last year..

and when kuper was there he was also helping out franklin a lot. IIRC kuper was coming back from an ankle surgery last year also the reason we had multiple players there before the season started..

Most great OLs take years to master..

NOw if you want to replace the kid with a VEterans like Saturday, Oh wait he is gone, it is a maybe,,

but imperiling Manning's career behind a rookie center lets hope ttha EFX are smarter than that..

He gets pushed around and people get sick of seeing his guy constantly on our side of the LOS.

ozomulsion
04-18-2012, 03:20 PM
This guy doesn't put any value on this years crop of RBs, besides Richardson. Lamar Miller at 53? and Doug Martin at 47? Hmm Although he does like him some LaMicheal James.

lonestar
04-18-2012, 04:09 PM
He gets pushed around and people get sick of seeing his guy constantly on our side of the LOS.

so anyone that fits that criteria should be replaced? then they all go..

if that is the case then Clady who lead the team in holding calls and one of the NLF leaders should go..

As for JD he is always against the biggest DL type on the LOS giving away 10 to 60 pounds MOST centers are doing the same thing..

since the game plan last year was different than the game plan in 10 might want to give the guy the benefit of doubt.

Considering all the different guys that lined up next to him over those two years, it is almost impossible to get continutiy there..

The best OLs have 5 to 10 years playing togather.. adn unless your willing to expend a #1 pick on a rookie I doubt your going to improve the spot..

I'm guessing that John and JOhn thought about replacing him but then decided that he was better than giving BIG bucks to Saturday..

If and when they replace the guy then I'll buy into your paranoid rants..

Shananahan
04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
unless your willing to expend a #1 pick on a rookie I doubt your going to improve the spot..
Perhaps you missed the entire point of this thread.