PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Colorado, GOODBYE!

Requiem
04-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Flying out of DIA tonight to head back to my old stomping grounds.

My first nine month experience in Colorado was a great one and I'm going to miss the place. The environment is top notch. The people are easy going. I've always been a worry wart, but the common phrase "No worries." was said by strangers and friends alike every day. My worries are starting to fade away, and coming out here gave me a big confidence boost. I had moved before (college), but never moved this far away to try and do new things. I was able to land a fun job, I have gotten in a lot better shape and met a lot of people and go to even go to my first Broncos game. I'd say that is a pretty good success.

Unfortunately, some family circumstances arose. Grandma was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer (metasized to her lymph nodes and spinal cord) and has ~ 6 to 12 months. This complicates things with my grandpa because she was his primary care giver. Looks like I'm going to help move him to his nursing home, and we are renting my grandma a house across the street from his VA friendly Nursing Home. Gonna move some goods down there for them, give 'em some support and do whatever they ask of me. I think I'm mainly going to be in charge of getting their house ready to sell. . . ugh. . . not that I mind doing the work, but selling a home they've lived in for 50 years kinda makes me sad.

With all their kids grown up and having families, there aren't a lot of people who have the flexibility to help, and now that I'm done with seasonal work, saved up a bankroll, I think it's in my best interest to be a man and take one for the team and cherish the time I have left with them.

I'll be back in Colorado, it's just a matter of when. I'm not sure if I met anyone from the OM at the tailgates, but I know I got to meet a lot of the Broncos Fan Community and I'm thankful for that.

Thanks to any Maner who gave me advice, helped me out or threw some good ideas my way on how to enjoy Colorado. Much love for my E-family.

Not sure, if I'll be on much over the next few weeks, but I will try and pop in around the draft.

Thank you guys for everything! COLORADO ROCKS. OM ROCKS!

I'll see ya when I see ya. :)

Rohirrim
04-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Sad news, Req. I hope everything works out for you. What you're doing for your grandparents is truly a great thing. Nothing more noble than an act from the heart. Best wishes on your journey.

bendog
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Good luck. Been there, done that. Don't hesitate to check in for moral support.

Meck77
04-17-2012, 09:04 AM
We'll leave the light on for you Req. Safe travels.

Greatspirits
04-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Good luck with your family endeavors! Hope you make it back to the state, I've traveled all over the country but have found Colorado a truly special place to live. I'm sure you'll keep in touch on the Mane.

crush17
04-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Good luck man, you are doing a great thing and you should be commended for it!

underrated29
04-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Dude, I didnt know you were in town. Id have gotten a drink with you

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Good luck and be strong!

Bronco Yoda
04-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Good Luck. Been there, done that too a couple times. Not an easy thing. Stay strong.

Boobs McGee
04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Later man, good luck with the family, and glad you got to live in one of the best places in the world!

We'll see you back someday!

Mogulseeker
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
When I see the Hobbs avatar, I can't help but think of Slap.

ghwk
04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Good Luck as well. As someone who has gone through this type of move twice in the last two years be forwarned, cleaning out a house of memories 50 years old is a very difficult process for your grandparents. We thought we could do it in a few days but it took weeks because it was really difficult for my parents to part with things that may have been in the family for generations and it is really common to get a good 10 minutes of decisoins out of them but then they get into denial pretty quickly or just can't deal with it and can't do it any more. It will take more patience on your part than you expect. Hang in there, it ain't easy.

Requiem
04-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks guys. Just wanted to let you know after getting cavity hole searched by TSA, I got in to South Dakota last night. Tough times for the family indeed, but the smiles on their faces when I came in made the whole wait coming back worthwhile. Will update when I can.

oubronco
04-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Good luck man. Better cherish all the time with loved ones while you can

Heyneck
04-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Best of luck Req. Hope everything turns for the best! Be strong and walk strong,... make the best of the situation and try to generate good and positive memories with your grandparents this last year. It's a tough moment but happiness can be had any day no matter the situation. Cherish the moments to the max!!! Your grandparents and family will never forget.

broncosteven
04-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Best wishes Req. Sounds like you know what's important in life.

Pick Six
04-18-2012, 10:15 AM
You have your priorities the way they should be, Req. Good luck with your family affairs...:sailaway:

Bronco Yoda
04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Good Luck as well. As someone who has gone through this type of move twice in the last two years be forwarned, cleaning out a house of memories 50 years old is a very difficult process for your grandparents. We thought we could do it in a few days but it took weeks because it was really difficult for my parents to part with things that may have been in the family for generations and it is really common to get a good 10 minutes of decisoins out of them but then they get into denial pretty quickly or just can't deal with it and can't do it any more. It will take more patience on your part than you expect. Hang in there, it ain't easy.

Exactly.

The better your inventory list the better for all concerned. Take pictures of things. Detailed communication & documentation is key.

One move I found it best to rent a large storage unit to separate items going to different people and places.

Plan on it taking much much longer to complete than you expect. You may also become the 'bad guy' at some point in the eyes of bickering family and friends. It will test you.

Requiem
04-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. Spent most of the day earlier getting some essentials and furniture at discount stores for their place now until I have time to coordinate getting things from back home. Grandpa moves into the nursing home tomorrow and he's not too happy about it, but the house for my grandma is right across the street so they will still be able to be together while she's going through treatment. It's a really odd atmosphere. I haven't seen my family in this much of a panic in a while, but I know being here is definitely helping.

I was surprised that my sister was here last night until I arrived to help out. I hadn't seen her in over 3 years, it would have been four this Thanksgiving. It was a real emotional time.

Babysitting them for the rest of the week until I can get back home to see my parents for a few days. Thinking of taking them out to Buffalo Wild Wings with my younger cousin tonight so they can get some fresh air and enjoy some good food. They love chicken! Haha. :D Baked some oatmeal raisin cookies for them (their favorite) and now they are napping as we speak.

It's Req's House Rules for the week!

Requiem
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Exactly.

The better your inventory list the better for all concerned. Take pictures of things. Detailed communication & documentation is key.

One move I found it best to rent a large storage unit to separate items going to different people and places.

Plan on it taking much much longer to complete than you expect. You may also become the 'bad guy' at some point in the eyes of bickering family and friends. It will test you.

Inventory is going to be so hard. These people are pack rats. I am pretty sure there is crap in the house from the Great Depression. When I go home this weekend, I'm going to get all the "memory filled" things that bring up good stuff. Pictures of grand kids (all their senior photos) and anything that was specially made or just for them. Already talked to them about some of the things they want up here, so I'm gonna definitely do that. Grandpa forgot his coin collection at home and says he wants to show me everything, so I have to go and get that. Hilarious!

As much as I wanna cry right now (so hard to see them like this), it's pretty great just to be here to help. I can't show weakness, because they need strength, so that's why I'm here. ^5

lonestar
04-18-2012, 11:57 AM
God Bless you and your family. As this will be a hard time for all..

Losing family is tough and it will make you a better person long term..

Enjoy what time you have left with them..

Requiem
04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
God Bless you and your family. As this will be a hard time for all..

Losing family is tough and it will make you a better person long term..

Enjoy what time you have left with them..

Thanks, lonestar. It's just depressing seeing someone fight a tough battle that isn't "winnable." My grandma has a lot of fight in her. She has taken her earliest radiation/chemo like a champ, but it's going to get harder. She's strong, but she needs more strength from the outside. Just gonna do what I can to make whatever time she has left the most enjoyable.

Gonna see if she wants me to plant some garden stuff for her in the backyard to make it remind her of home. This will be the first time in over 50 years she hasn't hand planted her garden. :(

Jay3
04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Great thing you're doing. You'll grow. Sorry for the sad part of the circumstances.

ant1999e
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Sorry to hear the news. I think what you're doing is admirable. It's definitely the right choice and you will be glad you spent this time with them. I'm sure your grandfather is proud of the choice you made. And I mean that sincerely. My grandmother has alzheimers and she has been living with us for two years now. It's a lot of work but the time we spend with her makes it all worth it.

BroncoBeavis
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Serves as a good reminder to get out there and spend some time with those family members that might not have much time left.

Looks like you have your priorities in order. I think mine probably need some work.

Turd_Ferguson
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Welcome back to South Dakota, I'm guessing the plane you flew in on was probably about the size of a small SUV. Hope your Grandparent's move goes a well as it can.

ghwk
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear the news. I think what you're doing is admirable. It's definitely the right choice and you will be glad you spent this time with them. I'm sure your grandfather is proud of the choice you made. And I mean that sincerely. My grandmother has alzheimers and she has been living with us for two years now. It's a lot of work but the time we spend with her makes it all worth it.

Probably disagree with you on most stuff ant but bless you for taking in a parent with Alzheimers, that is a huge act of love and kindness.

ant1999e
04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Probably disagree with you on most stuff ant but bless you for taking in a parent with Alzheimers, that is a huge act of love and kindness.
Thanks. And we probably agree on more than you think.

Requiem
04-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Update: Grandma has multiple brain leisions and has refused radiation on them. 2 months most, doctor assumes one would be likely. Thanks for all the support guys.

enjolras
04-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Update: Grandma has multiple brain leisions and has refused radiation on them. 2 months most, doctor assumes one would be likely. Thanks for all the support guys.

Man.. that's tough stuff. We're all pulling for you man.

Miss I.
04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Req, I am really sorry to read all this. I know we dont' always agree, but leaving that all aside because in the end that stuff doesn't matter, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. 3 years ago when I left for England I'd just gone through losing my grandma. The loss was difficult to say the least, but it absolutely brought home how important family and friends are. We got each other through that and through many other things. Wishing you only the best through all of this and for your family.

Pick Six
04-24-2012, 09:15 AM
As sad as it is, you have time to prepare for the inevitable. My uncle had been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer for 3 years, before passing away last month. The mourning was still there, but it was much easier for his immediate family to return to their normal lives. A shocking death is much harder, psychologically...

ghwk
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
As sad as it is, you have time to prepare for the inevitable. My uncle had been diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer for 3 years, before passing away last month. The mourning was still there, but it was much easier for his immediate family to return to their normal lives. A shocking death is much harder, psychologically...

This is not meant as a comment to stir debate because it all sucks. I watched my father, who prided himself on his intellect, disappear into dementia for 5 years before passing away. Yes I had to let go of the person he used to be during that journey but watching that happen was awful as at some point you start hoping for thier passing to release them from a life I know he would have hated. Based on his statements when he was still "Dad" he would have preferred to die 2 years sooner than live the way he was living.

Jack1118son
04-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Best wishes Req. Sounds like you know what's important in life.

hear, hear!!!

I moved back in with my grandfather when I was 23-28 after my grandmother passed. Putting my life on hold in a lot of ways. Looking back, it might not have been the greatest decision for my future. However, the one thing I'm sure off, is the time my grandfather and I spent together were some of the greatest memories of my life. I don't regret one second of the time we were able to spend together. It's not a decision that everyone can make & live with. Not to say that those individuals decisions are wrong, it's just not something everyone can do. When I look back (34 now), I don't regret one second of that decision..even though some ramifications of placing my life on hold are still felt today. The time I was able to spend with my Grandfather, honestly was priceless and allowed me to have no regrets, in regards to my relationship with my Grandfather.
I wish you and your family all the best and I hope that you can find satisfaction in the decision that you unselfishly made. Best of luck!!

Requiem
04-24-2012, 10:28 AM
This Friday I'm moving up to sign a lease at a place in the F/M area again, but at least I have the funds and mobility to come back and be around during the next month. Spending a week with them was hard, and it took everything out of me. Apparently, now my 87 year old grandfather has pneumonia and will be going to the hospital in a few days. When it rains. . . it pours. *sigh*

I knew when I had a dream months when my grandparents evaporated from their home (grandpa evaporated from a chair and grandma her bed) when I walked in that things were about to change. . . goodness. I need strength right now.

Blueflame
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
You & your family will be in my prayers...