PDA

View Full Version : Grade Elway's first draft class

MVP-06
04-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I know that classes generally take three years to evaluate but I thought since the draft is almost here we could take a look back at last years class. What grade would you give EFX? I'm going with A- due to DROY and solid starter in Franklin and Carter got alot of time. Moore was disappointing for a 2nd rounder. Irving/Thomas TBD. At the three year mark im projecting A+ as I believe Moore/Thomas/Irving could develop into starters if healthy.

Round 1, 2nd Overall: Von Miller, LB Texas A&M

Round 2, 45th Overall: Rahim Moore, FS UCLA

Round 2, 46th Overall: Orlando Franklin, OL Miami (Fla.)

Round 3, 67th Overall: Nate Irving, LB North Carolina State

Round 4, 108th Overall: Quinton Carter, DB Oklahoma

Round 4, 129th Overall: Julius Thomas, TE Portland State

Round 6, 189th Overall: Mike Mohamed, LB California

Round 7, 204th Overall: Virgil Green, TE Nevada

Round 7, 247th Overall: Jeremy Beal, DE Oklahoma

broncosteven
04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
I give him a B for finding 2 starters, Moore doesn't knock my socks off but played a lot. the good thing is if Irving or Green get some playing time the grade could be a solid A.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Round 1, 2nd Overall: Von Miller, LB Texas A&M A+ -- Would have been hard to whiff.

Round 2, 45th Overall: Rahim Moore, FS UCLA C- -- Has the potential to be a good player, but he was not impressive other than laying that dude out in the pre-season.

Round 2, 46th Overall: Orlando Franklin, OL Miami (Fla.) B -- Big Boy Franklin is gonna be solid for us. Never an all-star, but just a good dude.

Round 3, 67th Overall: Nate Irving, LB North Carolina State I -- Don't know. Not enough P/T to make an assessment.

B+ -- I think Carter can be a solid starter in the NFL, at the very least a very good role player. I think he has a lot of potential ahead of him.

All of this is FAIL.

Mogulseeker
04-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Way to early to write off Green and Thomas.

Mohamed and Beal were 6th and 7th... did you expect perineal Pro Bolwers here?

Requiem
04-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Way to early to write off Green and Thomas.

Mohamed and Beal were 6th and 7th... did you expect perineal Pro Bolwers here?

Uh, no. I just think that they all are going to wash out of the NFL. :yayaya:

Jesterhole
04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
After 1 year, he hit the easy one, did decent with Franklin, and whiffed on everything else.

NFLBRONCO
04-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I figure we will be drafting 25-32 range next few years. Denver must hit at DT CB OL QB for longterm success. If we miss more then we hit. It will be ugly again. We have to draft better and cosistantly.

RunSilentRunDeep
04-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Less than 12 months after a draft in a lockout year there's only one option: IN-COM-PLETE.

NFLBRONCO
04-15-2012, 03:58 PM
After 1 year, he hit the easy one, did decent with Franklin, and whiffed on everything else.

Spot on

Cito Pelon
04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Von was a hit, but he has to develop into something more than a pass-rusher. Rahim was a miss. Franklin was a bigtime hit. Irving was a miss. Carter is serviceable. The rest of the picks probably won't have much of a career. The UDFA's Harris, Dell might.

Durango
04-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Miller is obviously an A or A+, but Mike Croel looked like a world beater his first year too, so I'm hoping Miller will continue to play at an elite level, but you just never know.

Franklin is an B+. Needed RT, got one, and a good one. Still needs work with PP, but that almost always seems the case with young O-linemen.

Moore is a work-in-progress, as are everyone else not named Miller. I think it will prove to be a great, not simply good, draft.

Lestat
04-15-2012, 04:15 PM
too early to grade, Von was a beast, people were calling for his head at first since he was assumed to be a better fit in a 3-4 by most fans.
Moore looked good early but then fell off the cliff, Franklin looks to be a serious fixture on the OL for years to come, Irving & Thomas haven't played enough, Green was insane value in the 7th considering he was seen as a top 3 round pick, Carter looks to be a starter for the next few years and the rest did as you might expect late rounders to do, make the team and do some special teams stuff.

you can't grade a draft until 3 years later because the development is about where it should be at that point and if you were a waste of a pick you're likely to get cut.

Cito Pelon
04-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Grade overall? C- for the draft picks, they only hit with Von and Franklin, and Miller was a no-brainer, either him or Dareus. I suppose they still could have f'd it up at #2, though, but it's hard to imagine how.

Moore, Irving, and the rest of them other than Carter I can't see them as anything more than backups. Carter is adequate. The UDFA's may end up having better careers than Rahim, Irving, Mohammed, Beal, Thomas, Green.

But overall, that 2011 draft seems like a very bad class overall, so EFX got some nothings from a class of nobodies.

SoCalBronco
04-15-2012, 04:47 PM
B to B+

DBroncos4life
04-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Grade overall? C- for the draft picks, they only hit with Von and Franklin, and Miller was a no-brainer, either him or Dareus. I suppose they still could have f'd it up at #2, though, but it's hard to imagine how.

Moore, Irving, and the rest of them other than Carter I can't see them as anything more than backups. Carter is adequate. The UDFA's may end up having better careers than Rahim, Irving, Mohammed, Beal, Thomas, Green.

But overall, that 2011 draft seems like a very bad class overall, so EFX got some nothings from a class of nobodies.
A C- with the DROY? WTF???

pricejj
04-15-2012, 04:52 PM

my thoughts exactly

jutang
04-15-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd give Elway an A- to B+.
Miller has the potential to be one of the greats. I don't care if he went #2 and people say it obvious. How many of us were clamoring for a DT?
Out of the rest there look like 2 to 3 solid starters.

Seems like a a lot better than McD's or Shanny's drafts.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Carter was the best pick IMO. Hard to miss on Miller. Franklin seems like a good pick. 3 quality players that definitely improved the team as rookies. That alone makes it a really good draft.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-15-2012, 05:49 PM

This is amazing to me. Quinton Carter was instrumental in the playoff win, and was the best player in the secondary not named Bailey after Dawkins went down.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Jesterhole smokes crack, he knows not how to speak.

Mogulseeker
04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Uh, no. I just think that they all are going to wash out of the NFL. :yayaya:

Beal actually played some towards the end of the year. Not a star by any means, but I think we've already gotten more value from him then most 7th rounders.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Beal actually played some towards the end of the year. Not a star by any means, but I think we've already gotten more value from him then most 7th rounders.

I'm pretty sure that turd didn't see a single snap.

barryr
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I think after this season is when you can really judge that draft. You expect after 2 years, if players haven't shown much yet, they will year 2 if ever going to.

socalorado
04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I know that classes generally take three years to evaluate but I thought since the draft is almost here we could take a look back at last years class. What grade would you give EFX? I'm going with A- due to DROY and solid starter in Franklin and Carter got alot of time. Moore was disappointing for a 2nd rounder. Irving/Thomas TBD. At the three year mark im projecting A+ as I believe Moore/Thomas/Irving could develop into starters if healthy.

Grand slam
FAIL
Great pick
?who? Unknown
Solid pick. Looking like DENs starting SS.
The next Mr Glass?!?!
STeamer
Crap
Crap

Punisher
04-15-2012, 07:14 PM

He has one Pro Bowler the jury still out on Irving and Moore if they become solid starters I'll have to grade it an A

Broncoman13
04-15-2012, 08:13 PM

This is about how I see it. Von, Darreus, Peterson... Kind of hard to screw that one up, but Miller did earn DROY honors so have to give them credit for that. Moore looks like a slug... Can't tackle, knew that coming out... But can't seem to cover either, didn't expect that. Franklin is serviceable, but how many people still think he is better suited for OG? I give him a b-. Carter played well, but truly, he is "just a guy", average. But for a 4th round pick, I will gladly take an average starter! Everything else is just hopefuls. Broncos don't go out and give several mil to Tamme and Dreesen if they have any faith in Thomas and Green. I do have hope for Thomas still, but another Gates or Graham, probably not. But, if he can somehow become a 30 catch, 300 yard, 5 TD guy, then that is pretty good value in the 4th.

Br0nc0Buster
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
why is no one talking about Chris Harris?
I always consider UDFAs part of the "draft"

I also think Mark Dell could make an impact as well if he is healthy

A-/B+

It was a pretty damn good draft

We had 3 players I think make the football writer's all rookie team, more than anyone else I believe

Miller is a beast
Franklin played well for the most part and looks like a long term starter
Moore sucked but too early to give up on him
Carter was great value for a 4th, looks like he might have long term starter potential as well
Irving was essentially redshirted, cant judge him one way or the other
Thomas looked great in camp and then played through a bum ankle all year, was a project anyways when drafted
Harris was fantastic value, 2nd best corner on the team last year

If Moore becomes are starting safety and Irving can play this draft will of been epic

Jesterhole
04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Jesterhole smokes crack, he knows not how to speak.

I hope you don't wonder why people think you are such a gimp.

Hamrob
04-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I give him a B right now. I could see this draft turning into either an A or an F, depending on how these guys shake out in the next 2-3yrs. My 3 favorite guys:

Miller
Franklin
Beal (prediction: will be better than Ayers)

We'll see.

I really couldn't say, at this point, that Elway is any better than McDumbass!

My fingers are crossed for this draft. I just hope that Elway doesn't get too cute and make reaches like McD did in 2009. He should stay at #25 if the right guy falls...Cox, Kirkpatrick, Kuechly, Coples, Upshaw, or Barron. But, if the value isn't there. (I mean, if a guy who is consistently rated in the top 20) Then, trade back, and get another 2nd round pick. Why? Because the difference between 25-32 is not a lot different than from 33-57. However, there is a lot of talent there. Therefore, you either get 2 guys who are valued higher than 25 & 58, or you get 3 guys who are valued between 25 & 58. If you reach, because of Manning or because you're trying to get cute...you will FU!

DBroncos4life
04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I give him a B right now. I could see this draft turning into either an A or an F, depending on how these guys shake out in the next 2-3yrs. My 3 favorite guys:

Miller
Franklin
Beal (prediction: will be better than Ayers)

We'll see.

I really couldn't say, at this point, that Elway is any better than McDumbass!

My fingers are crossed for this draft. I just hope that Elway doesn't get too cute and make reaches like McD did in 2009. He should stay at #25 if the right guy falls...Cox, Kirkpatrick, Kuechly, Coples, Upshaw, or Barron. But, if the value isn't there. (I mean, if a guy who is consistently rated in the top 20) Then, trade back, and get another 2nd round pick. Why? Because the difference between 25-32 is not a lot different than from 33-57. However, there is a lot of talent there. Therefore, you either get 2 guys who are valued higher than 25 & 58, or you get 3 guys who are valued between 25 & 58. If you reach, because of Manning or because you're trying to get cute...you will FU!
How? McD had like how many picks in the first two rounds and hit on one of them.

Play2win
04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
How? McD had like how many picks in the first two rounds and hit on one of them.

Ayers?

DBroncos4life
04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Ayers?

Thomas, Ayers is OK. Not sure he will ever be first round pick great though. He is getting better though. Hopefully he builds off how he finished last year and i will gladly change my mind.

Play2win
04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Thomas, Ayers is OK. Not sure he will ever be first round pick great though. He is getting better though. Hopefully he builds off how he finished last year and i will gladly change my mind.

I guess I'm just in disbelief that McD actually drafted DThomas. Its actually looking like a (real) good move.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I guess I'm just in disbelief that McD actually drafted DThomas. Its actually looking like a (real) good move.

Even he has questions, and could be a problem lol.

ZONA
04-15-2012, 09:43 PM
They always say you should not grade a draft for 3 years. I think trying to throw a 1st year grade on the draft is pretty silly actually. I think after 2 years you can safely see a trend to develop, if a guy is gonna be special, a solid starter, back up material or out of the league tomorrow.

Obviously Miller is a homerun and we don't need to wait on that grade. Still can improve but we saw the goods this year. I'll give the rest of the dudes another year. Sometimes it just takes guys a bit longer then others to get a feel for the NFL game.

Wes Mantooth
04-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Way too early for this poll. Wait until 2013 season has finished.

Play2win
04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Even he has questions, and could be a problem lol.

Yeah, no ****.

FireFly
04-16-2012, 03:58 AM
A+ There were some other players people were calling for at this spot, like Dareus, I'm glad we got Von

D I don't think he's going to start for us. Anything less is a fail.

B+ He's a starter. I'm not going to ask for more than that out of a 2nd round pick. I think he can be solid for us, even though you have admit he has a LOT of improving to do.

C+ I have HIGH hopes. I think he has a chance to start, if he doesn't he'll be a decent back up for a few years and hopefully contribute on special teams. Good solid value pick.

A- Why the high grade? This is the 4th round! This was a great snag at this point in the draft! You don't get very many stars in the 4th, picking up a solid starter is what you're hoping for here.

C+ Pretty much the same analysis as for Irving except that this was a roll of the dice rather than a good value pick imo, and I think that's an OK call at this point in the draft.

To get a good grade past here, all I want are solid back-ups, special team contributors and players that will provide strong competition.

D - I don't think he'll be in the NFL for much longer.

C- I think he could grab a roster spot, which isn't bad for a 7th round pick.

D - I don't think he'll be in the NFL for much longer.

Overall, C+
We got Von Miller!

But not a whole lot else. I think this is one draft that we can grade already, because Von is going to have a great career unless injuries get him, there's a couple of POTENTIAL starters and the rest I think will wash out of the NFL this season or next.

MVP-06
04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Way too early for this poll. Wait until 2013 season has finished.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read the first post, or just read the title.