PDA

View Full Version : Mario Fannin & Julius Thomas comments

TonyR
04-15-2012, 09:22 AM
All the focus in the Broncos’ backfield has been on Peyton Manning, but another player could be getting quite a bit of attention come September. One of my sources inside the team headquarters at Dove Valley tells me to keep an eye on Mario Fannin. The 2011 undrafted free agent ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the combine and weighs 235. He was the team’s best running back in camp last year until he suffered a season-ending ankle injury. The Broncos have high hopes for Fannin, and wouldn’t be surprised if he played a major role in 2012.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-4214.html

Broncos TE Julius Thomas recently had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his right ankle and is hopeful to be ready for training camp. The team is hopeful, too, as it has high hopes for the second-year tight end. A former basketball player, Thomas was the most athletic player in Denver’s training camp last year, according to one team insider. He missed almost all of his rookie season with the ankle injury and is third on the depth chart behind free-agent pickups Joel Dreessen and Jacob Tamme.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/story/permalink/32368

CEH
04-15-2012, 09:32 AM
All the focus in the Broncos’ backfield has been on Peyton Manning, but another player could be getting quite a bit of attention come September. One of my sources inside the team headquarters at Dove Valley tells me to keep an eye on Mario Fannin. The 2011 undrafted free agent ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at the combine and weighs 235. He was the team’s best running back in camp last year until he suffered a season-ending ankle injury. The Broncos have high hopes for Fannin, and wouldn’t be surprised if he played a major role in 2012.

Broncos TE Julius Thomas recently had surgery to repair torn ligaments in his right ankle and is hopeful to be ready for training camp. The team is hopeful, too, as it has high hopes for the second-year tight end. A former basketball player, Thomas was the most athletic player in Denver’s training camp last year, according to one team insider. He missed almost all of his rookie season with the ankle injury and is third on the depth chart behind free-agent pickups Joel Dreessen and Jacob Tamme.

I'm bummed Thomas' ankle wasn't addressed properly last year but he was the star of TC last year. I hope he's ready for TC this year. I can see Thomas as a monster down the middle of the field for Manning as well as RZ

Denver724
04-15-2012, 09:32 AM

There is a reason why Fannin wasn't drafted. I hope he proves everyone wrong and blows up. Having that size and speed is rare. Hopefully he puts it all together.

delany
04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Fannin would be a perfect candidate for the stretch play. He might have good top end speed but he doesn't have that elite first burst to the hole. A stretch running play would definately play to his strength.

I will put in an early nomination for him to win the Camp God (Adrian Madise award) of 2012.

Lestat
04-15-2012, 09:48 AM
give Fannin some stick em cause the boy puts the ball on the ground like it's his job.
physically gifted but he might need to carry the ball like Tiki Barber did later in his career.

this is the thing that always worries you as a fan. guys who just have that sick physical talent but can't put it together due to mental lapses or injury issues. Thomas' potential is insane if he can stay healthy and harness it. having Manning here can only help both guys.

i still want a top 3-4 round RB taken though.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Damn that's almost Bo Jackson like size and speed.

BowlenBall
04-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Smokescreens -- we're drafting a running back and a tight end in rounds 1 and 2 this year, for sure.

razorwire77
04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
If Fannin can stay healthy for camp, I think he's capable of beating out either Moreno or Ball for a roster spot. Ball and Fannin are superior special teams players to Moreno, which might be the difference. Knowshown better have the camp of his life.

TonyR
04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Smokescreens -- we're drafting a running back and a tight end in rounds 1 and 2 this year, for sure.

Possible, although I particularly doubt they would draft a TE after picking up two in FA. How many more can they have on the roster?

Bmore Manning
04-15-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't know much about Fanin, but AP had a case of funbleitus early on too and Arian Foster was a UDFA.. Just saying...

Requiem
04-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Whatever. Drafting Thomas who obviously had concerns that high was dumb and I could care less about Fannin. I have fourteen prospects with higher than a fifth round. Get one of them.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't know much about Fanin, but AP had a case of funbleitus early on too and Arian Foster was a UDFA.. Just saying...

. . . and it was more than fumbles that caused Foster to become an UDFA.

CEH
04-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Whatever. Drafting Thomas who obviously had concerns that high was dumb and I could care less about Fannin. I have fourteen prospects with higher than a fifth round. Get one of them.

Did Thomas have injuries concerns? I know he only played a year of college ball. Did you get to watch him live in practice last year dominating Champ Bailey? I did and to me he was a solid 4th round pick. This kid flashed potential last year before being injured. Odd are 4th round picks do crap in the NFL anyways. It's obvious he was a target of EFX.

Chris
04-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I've spent a lot of years hoping. I'm more interested in sure things these days.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Did Thomas have injuries concerns? I know he only played a year of college ball. Did you get to watch him live in practice last year dominating Champ Bailey? I did and to me he was a solid 4th round pick. This kid flashed potential last year before being injured. Odd are 4th round picks do crap in the NFL anyways. It's obvious he was a target of EFX.

I wasn't at camp and I was more turned off by the fact that this seemed like another Wesley Duke trying to be Antonio Gates experiment. Fourth round picks aren't a crapshoot if you scout hard and don't reach for ****. It's mind boggling to me that they felt he was the BPA when he was drafted last year.

BroncoMan4ever
04-15-2012, 10:36 AM
There is a reason why Fannin wasn't drafted. I hope he proves everyone wrong and blows up. Having that size and speed is rare. Hopefully he puts it all together.

Just like there were reasons Rod Smith was undrafted TD was a 6th, Sharpe a 7th. The draft is a joke in evaluating what a player can orr will do. Fannin has ability and I wouldn't bet against a guy with his measurables if he comes ready to work

broncswin
04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
^5I've spent a lot of years hoping. I'm more interested in sure things these days.

Couldn't have stated it better!!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Where were you guys when Richard Quinn was taking a $h!t on the field? He was a second round pick. Now people have their panties in a bunch because a 4th rounder has a couple of dings?

CEH
04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Where were you guys when Richard Quinn was taking a $h!t on the field? He was a second round pick. Now people have their panties in a bunch because a 4th rounder has a couple of dings?

Might end up replacing Moore with Quinn in your post which is bad talent evaluation
Thomas flashed nfl potential last year

Goobzilla
04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Waiting for the "Matt Willis to break out with Manning at the helm" article......

Lestat
04-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Possible, although I particularly doubt they would draft a TE after picking up two in FA. How many more can they have on the roster?

i think that it's highly likely a TE will get taken, the value of TE's this year is high in terms of quality players who will likely slide. Fleener is like the only 1st round guy. guys like Allen,Green,Egnew,Thompson & others will be there in the 2nd,3rd,4th and lower.

people keep talking about who we have already but it's Dreessen and Tamme. those are the locks. everyone else is competition and potential health or suspension issues. i'm are that TE isn't a huge need but Elway has shown that he sticks to his board over going for a need. he's not gonna draft the #30 ranked DT if the #6 TE is on the board.

Dreessen,Tamme,Thomas are your top 3. Thomas is dinged and wasn't able to stay healthy last season, Green is on the shelf for 4 games due to suspension and Ingram is a practice squad guy. that's 2 surefire TE's, 1 injury concern, 1 suspended guy and a camp fodder type who could become more. that's not the type of depth needed going into a full season.

razorwire77
04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
i think that it's highly likely a TE will get taken, the value of TE's this year is high in terms of quality players who will likely slide. Fleener is like the only 1st round guy. guys like Allen,Green,Egnew,Thompson & others will be there in the 32nd,3rd,4th and lower.

people keep talking about who we have already but it's Dreessen and Tamme. those are the locks. everyone else is competition and potential health or suspension issues. i'm are that TE isn't a huge need but Elway has shown that he sticks to his board over going for a need. he's not gonna draft the #30 ranked DT if the #6 TE is on the board.

Dreessen,Tamme,Thomas are your top 3. Thomas is dinged and wasn't able to stay healthy last season, Green is on the shelf for 4 games due to suspension and Ingram is a practice squad guy. that's 2 surefire TE's, 1 injury concern, 1 suspended guy and a camp fodder type who could become more. that's not the type of depth needed going into a full season.

Egnew could be a real value pick if he drops.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Thomas flashed NFL potential with one whole catch. Woopty-do.

Cito Pelon
04-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Fannin was the best RB in TC last year????

elsid13
04-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Fannin was the best RB in TC last year????

Say a lot doesn't it.

g6matty
04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Lamar Miller McGahee NoShow Fannin!

Lestat
04-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Lamar Miller McGahee NoShow Fannin!
http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mc-i-approve-this-message.jpg

Bigdawg26
04-15-2012, 12:52 PM
I would rather David Wilson or Doug Martin before Lamar Miller.

Lestat
04-15-2012, 12:56 PM
i'd be happy with any of Wilson,Miller or Martin. they will all be good NFL RB's.
i honestly wouldn't be pissed if we found a way to get 2 of the 3.

Ray Finkle
04-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Tebow was the best RB in TC last year????

FYP...

Cito Pelon
04-15-2012, 01:40 PM
i think that it's highly likely a TE will get taken, the value of TE's this year is high in terms of quality players who will likely slide. Fleener is like the only 1st round guy. guys like Allen,Green,Egnew,Thompson & others will be there in the 2nd,3rd,4th and lower.

Looking at the still available FA TE's, maybe they will have to grab one rather than draft a TE considering all the other needs. Granted, Green and Thomas are questionable for the season start and long-term also, but maybe they should forgo drafting a TE this year and grab a vet TE for the year.

The TE FA's still available from NFL.com are Bo Scaife, Shockey, Justin Peele, Anthony Becht, Kleinsasser, Mike Sellers, Shiancoe, Reggie Kelley, Tory Humphrey, Dallas Clark, Stephen Spach, Kris Wilson.

I guess it wouldn't be surprising to see one of the FA's brought in. BTW, I see Dante Rosario was signed by the Chargers. Dang, our rivals are picking our roster apart, Brady Quinn, Royal, Rosario . . .

Lestat
04-15-2012, 04:01 PM
i'd much rather see them use a top 5 round pick on a TE than pick up a vet FA since we already have the two signed already. you developmental talents behind those to provide depth. Fox likes to keep 4 TE's on the roster, it's a major resource that Manning loves to use so it makes sense to load it up with as much talent as possible. plus we're only one injury away from that potential depth turning into a huge need much like with RB.
Looking at the still available FA TE's, maybe they will have to grab one rather than draft a TE considering all the other needs. Granted, Green and Thomas are questionable for the season start and long-term also, but maybe they should forgo drafting a TE this year and grab a vet TE for the year.

The TE FA's still available from NFL.com are Bo Scaife, Shockey, Justin Peele, Anthony Becht, Kleinsasser, Mike Sellers, Shiancoe, Reggie Kelley, Tory Humphrey, Dallas Clark, Stephen Spach, Kris Wilson.

I guess it wouldn't be surprising to see one of the FA's brought in. BTW, I see Dante Rosario was signed by the Chargers. Dang, our rivals are picking our roster apart, Brady Quinn, Royal, Rosario . . .

CEH
04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Thomas flashed NFL potential with one whole catch. Woopty-do.

Just so I'm clear with your evaluation. Do teams typically start rookies opening day that don't show NFL potential. Especially 4th round picks.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Just so I'm clear with your evaluation. Do teams typically start rookies opening day that don't show NFL potential. Especially 4th round picks.

Thomas sucks. Keep jerkin' that chicken though.

Requiem
04-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Well, unfortunately for you the Broncos love Miller.

CEH
04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Thomas sucks. Keep jerkin' that chicken though.

Fact is if you really knew how Thomas was playing coming out of TC you would have realize he started opening night and was injured in the first series of game two once again playing with the starters but your in depth analysis was limited to the stat sheets hence the typical messageboard comeback

Requiem
04-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Fact is if you really knew how Thomas was playing coming out of TC you would have realize he started opening night and was injured in the first series of game two once again playing with the starters but your in depth analysis was limited to the stat sheets hence the typical messageboard comeback

Julius Thomas sure had a lot of competition for that spot. Him being a starter means dick with me considering who we had at the position.

CEH
04-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Julius Thomas sure had a lot of competition for that spot. Him being a starter means dick with me considering who we had at the position.

It's not Thomas' job to bring in competition. Its his job to shine in TC and earn the time on the field. He did that and came out of TC as a starter but now you are telling me that starting in the NFL as a 4th round rookie means nothing (or "sucks" I believe is the term you used to describe his situation). Just making sure I understand your point of view.

Punisher
04-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Oh yea is see Fannin will be good use for the toss play in madden

s0phr0syne
05-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Per: Mario Fannin intrigues Broncos with speed, receiving ability at RB - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20712354/mario-fannin-intrigues-broncos-speed-receiving-ability-at)

Reporting that initial injury to Fannin was ACL tear. Some reports indicated that it was an ankle injury. Obviously, ACL tear can be especially debilitating for an RB. Lots of athletes seem to recover relatively smoothly these days, but it's not a given. Especially for a roster fringe RB, they have a lot more pressure put on them to "recover faster", and thus risk re-injury.

barryr
05-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Per: Mario Fannin intrigues Broncos with speed, receiving ability at RB - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20712354/mario-fannin-intrigues-broncos-speed-receiving-ability-at)

Reporting that initial injury to Fannin was ACL tear. Some reports indicated that it was an ankle injury. Obviously, ACL tear can be especially debilitating for an RB. Lots of athletes seem to recover relatively smoothly these days, but it's not a given. Especially for a roster fringe RB, they have a lot more pressure put on them to "recover faster", and thus risk re-injury.

Obviously if Fannin hasn't fixed the fumbling issue, forget how much he would play since he won't make the team if that problem isn't solved. It would be too bad too since rare to have his size and speed and he showed in college at least he can catch the ball. He would also benefit from other teams not knowing much about him and could surprise defenses with that size and speed.

Lestat
05-25-2012, 09:41 PM
gonna be tough for him to make the team unless he's fully recovered.
McGahee and Hillman are locks, then Moreno if healthy is #3 lock, that means it comes down to him & Ball.

Traveler
05-26-2012, 02:48 AM
McGahee and Hillman are locks, then Moreno if healthy is #3 lock, that means it comes down to him & Ball.

Healthy or not, Moreno won't be on the team IMO. He was slow before the injury. My guess is he gets cut or traded before the end of training camp.

Drek
05-26-2012, 03:19 AM

Moreno dicked up his ACL in December. No way he's close to 100% for the start of camp. If the FO uses their heads they'll PUP him. That lets Moreno get truly 100% healthy and at the same time gives us an extra player under control beyond the 53 man roster.

Then we roll with McGahee, Hillman, and the best two out of Fannin, Ball, Johnson, and any other UDFAs they've brought in. Chances are one of those guys gets hurt or is ineffective before we need to make the final call on Moreno. He's a lot better option than a street FA come about week 7 of the regular season.

2KBack
05-26-2012, 05:55 AM
Moreno dicked up his ACL in December. No way he's close to 100% for the start of camp. If the FO uses their heads they'll PUP him. That lets Moreno get truly 100% healthy and at the same time gives us an extra player under control beyond the 53 man roster.

Then we roll with McGahee, Hillman, and the best two out of Fannin, Ball, Johnson, and any other UDFAs they've brought in. Chances are one of those guys gets hurt or is ineffective before we need to make the final call on Moreno. He's a lot better option than a street FA come about week 7 of the regular season.

It was November, a quick turnaround for sure, but not miraculous

s0phr0syne
05-26-2012, 06:51 AM

I agree, stashing Moreno on PUP seems smarter than rushing him back, where he probably looks like $#!t, and risks re-injury.

CEH
05-26-2012, 08:12 AM
IMO
I think Knowshown will be traded in TC. He is Ronnie Hillman. Why do you need two 3rd down type back but Hillman has better wheels to make a big play. Knowshown when healthy had what 36 yards as his longest play from scrimmage. Hillman will pass that with a 50 yard play before week 4

Tombstone RJ
05-26-2012, 09:57 AM
I'd love for Fannin to get a legitimate shot and playing. As for Moreno, if the Broncos ship him off in a trade that would not upset me either. He's a good pass catching RB but if Fannin is bigger, faster, can stay healthy and is willing to block (and has no fumble issues, yes this is a lot of IFs) then why keep Moreno around?

McGahee, Fannin & Hillman at RB and then have Gronk at FB.

Drek
05-26-2012, 03:32 PM
It was November, a quick turnaround for sure, but not miraculous

He got it operated on in early December, his timetable to recovery starts after he was cut on.

And I'm sure he'll be physically able to go out during the later part of camp or pre-season and fight for a job. I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to have him do so.

Regardless of what anyone might think about Moreno, he's obviously better than a mid-season street FA. RBs get hurt all the damn time. So why not use the PUP to float an extra RB to mid-season? Its the smart play. If Moreno was in real contention for the #1 job or was viewed as an essential part of the offensive scheme then it might be worth rushing him. But if the intent is to use a McGahee/Hillman combo it makes no sense to have Moreno, Fannin, Ball, Johnson, and anyone else they might add battle for just two roster spots when they can float Moreno to mid-season at no real penalty.

If he doesn't get PUPed its either because the FO plans to cut him as soon as he can pass a physical regardless of play level, or if he's so completely healthy that PUP-ing him fails to pass the league's standard of proof.

lonestar
05-26-2012, 03:37 PM

IIRC Fannin tore his ACL maybe I'm thinking of someone else..

But if that is true, I'm guessing his source inside dove valley may not be all the great..

Pluss IIRC he was not drafted because his nick name was fumblerooski.. does not carry the ball well, lots of movement against his body, pretty loose with the rock..

lonestar
05-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Obviously if Fannin hasn't fixed the fumbling issue, forget how much he would play since he won't make the team if that problem isn't solved. It would be too bad too since rare to have his size and speed and he showed in college at least he can catch the ball. He would also benefit from other teams not knowing much about him and could surprise defenses with that size and speed.

Whoops did not see this and post above it before making my post..

Might I add as big as he is IIRC he has not proved he can pound the rock.. being heavy and short makes him a prime candidate for being able to get into smaller holes at teh LOS and his pounds should make him harder to bring down..

MAybe he never had to do that becasue of his speed..

Bigdawg26
05-26-2012, 08:16 PM
I actually like those two and hope for the best. I don't really see Thomas (although I hope he passes up Tamme) for the receiving tight end spot. Also, I really like Fannin's size and speed. I hope he can come in a be productive as the back-up powerback/tailback. But I will say Jeremiah Johnson was pretty good last year when he came in. I feel good about our depth at RB with McGahee, Hillman, Fannin, and Johnson. I really don't care to much for Ball (although he will probably make the team) and Moreno.

dizz
05-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Moreno ...The writing is on the wall

ZONA
05-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Fannin would be a perfect candidate for the stretch play. He might have good top end speed but he doesn't have that elite first burst to the hole. A stretch running play would definately play to his strength.

I will put in an early nomination for him to win the Camp God (Adrian Madise award) of 2012.

I don't know, if you run the 40 in 4.37 then you must have some kind of burst. It's not as if he's slow for the 1st 10 yards and then runs like a cheetah the last 30.

Shananahan
05-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Quickness and speed are two different things, though.

Bigdawg26
05-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Quickness and speed are two different things, though.

That is true. But I don't think Fannin needs alot of quickness if he becomes or is a one cut back.

Bigdawg26
05-27-2012, 06:56 AM
You can leave the quickness to Hillman.

Agamemnon
05-27-2012, 05:32 PM

Lack of production would be the reason. Make of that what you will.