PDA

View Full Version : Projecting the Broncos draft

TonyR
04-14-2012, 03:05 PM
A year after leading the NFL in rushing due in no small part to quarterback Tim Tebow, the Denver Broncos will return to the more conventional way of moving the football by simply allowing Peyton Manning to do what he does best - attack defenses through the air.

Though the decision to sign the 36 year-old Manning coming off of three spinal surgeries is certainly a gamble, it is one that could pay off in spades. The future Hall of Famer comes to Denver seeking to capture the resurrection that current Vice President of Football Operations John Elway enjoyed during Super Bowl titles late in his playing career with the Broncos. In choosing a team willing to scrap the strategy that earned them a spot in the divisional playoffs last season, as well as one boasting an attacking defense well suited to playing with a lead, Manning may have put himself in position to do precisely that.

For history to look kindly on the Broncos' risky decision, however, Elway, general manager Brian Xanders and head coach John Fox must continue to fill holes in the Denver roster. Defensive tackle is an obvious area of concern, but so too is depth at running back and cornerback.

Five picks Elway and Co. should contemplate:

DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 27)
The Broncos' biggest need - literally and figuratively - is clearly at defensive tackle. The team 22nd in the league in run defense in 2011 and that ranking was enhanced by the Broncos' ability to control the clock with their own No. 1 rated running attack. Denver could see two new starters in the defensive interior in 2012 as Brodrick Bunkley signed a free agent contract with the New Orleans Saints and the team hasn't made re-signing Marcus Thomas a priority. As such, should Worthy still be on the board when the Broncos pick at No. 25, the powerful and explosive defender certainly would make a great deal of sense.

RB Chris Polk, Washington (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 61)
Despite leading the NFL in rushing last season, the Broncos need help at the position. Veteran Willis McGahee deserved Comeback Player of the Year consideration after rushing for 1,199 yards in 2011 - just 48 yards shy of his previous career high gained back in 2005 with the Buffalo Bills. Without the threat of Tebow, however, McGahee could sink back to the journeyman status that saw him earn just three starts in his two seasons with Baltimore prior to signing with the Broncos. Polk has as good of tape as any running back in the country not named Trent Richardson. He's the type of determined, physical runner that Fox has preferred over his career and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield capable of earning Manning's trust quickly. If Denver is comfortable with the heavy workload Polk had with the Huskies, he'd be a quality schematic fit in the second round (No. 57 overall).

WR Rishard Matthews, Nevada (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 89)
The Broncos already boast two intriguing big and athletic young receivers in Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas for Peyton Manning to work with but replacing slot receiver and punt returner Eddie Royal (who signed with the San Diego Chargers) could make a versatile playmaker like Matthews a surprise target in the middle rounds (like third round pick, No. 87 overall). The Broncos may have addressed this concern already by signing veterans Andre Caldwell and Jason Hill and are reportedly interested in reuniting Manning with free agent Brandon Stokley but Matthews, who stepped up his game for the Wolfpack in 2011 after Colin Kaepernick was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers, is not only a talented receiver but returned punts for touchdowns in each of his two seasons at Nevada, as well. Still not convinced that Matthews would make sense? Check out this video.

QB Russell Wilson, Wisconsin (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 115)
Prior to the series of neck surgeries that sidelined him for the entire 2011 season, Manning's remarkable string of 227 consecutive starts ranks as one of the more impressive accomplishments of any player in NFL history. With Bears' castoff Caleb Hanie and 2011 undrafted free agent Adam Weber as the only quarterbacks on the roster behind Manning, don't be surprised if the Broncos add another passer via the draft. Arizona State's Brock Osweiler visited with the Broncos and, as such, he's been often projected to land in Denver. However, considering the risk involved with Manning's health and advanced age, adding a player with Wilson's starting experience and composure makes sense as well. If still available when the Broncos are up with their first of two picks in the fourth round, the underrated Wilson might simply provide too much value to pass up at No. 108 overall.

CB Leonard Johnson, Iowa State (NFLDraftScout.com ranking: 136)
The Broncos got younger at cornerback by adding free agent Tracy Porter and releasing Andre Goodman to play opposite Champ Bailey, but with this remains a position of concern, especially considering that Bailey will be entering his 14th NFL season in 2012. Johnson may slip a bit on draft day after a disappointing showing at the Combine, but he plays with the physicality and competitiveness necessary to enjoy success behind the Broncos' extraordinary pass-rushing duo of Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. He'd make sense with the Broncos' second fourth round pick, No. 120 overall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18551177/projecting-the-draft-denver-broncos

Bronco Rob
04-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Kiper has us taking Michael Brockers, LaMichael James, and T.Y. Hilton.

:sunshine:

TonyR
04-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Kiper has us taking Michael Brockers, LaMichael James, and T.Y. Hilton.

It's funny, I post a thread about Tebow and everybody reads it and gets angry about it. I post a thread about football and everybody ignores it...

snowspot66
04-14-2012, 04:35 PM
It's funny, I post a thread about Tebow and everybody reads it and gets angry about it. I post a thread about football and everybody ignores it...

It's hard to have an opinion on college players when you don't care about college football in anyway. I just hope they (the front office) don't **** up.

Hamrob
04-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I'll take Worthy....but, I hope to craps we don't take those other guys. How about this:

**Round 1: Trade back to between 33-48, pick up another 2nd between 48-64.

Round 2: Take best DT available (Worthy, Wolf, Reyes or Thompson)
Round 2: Lamar Miller, or Doug Martin, or Harrison Smith
Round 2: Bobby Wagner, or Josh Robinson
Round 3: Brock Osweiler, Jamell Fleming, or Alameda Ta’Amu

Doggcow
04-14-2012, 04:40 PM
I'd love me some Chris Polk

Bronco Rob
04-14-2012, 04:48 PM

Sad

BUT

True...

peacepipe
04-14-2012, 05:12 PM
A year after leading the NFL in rushing due in no small part to quarterback Tim Tebow, the Denver Broncos will return to the more conventional way of moving the football by simply allowing Peyton Manning to do what he does best - attack defenses through the air.

Though the decision to sign the 36 year-old Manning coming off of three spinal surgeries is certainly a gamble, it is one that could pay off in spades. The future Hall of Famer comes to Denver seeking to capture the resurrection that current Vice President of Football Operations John Elway enjoyed during Super Bowl titles late in his playing career with the Broncos. In choosing a team willing to scrap the strategy that earned them a spot in the divisional playoffs last season, as well as one boasting an attacking defense well suited to playing with a lead, Manning may have put himself in position to do precisely that.

For history to look kindly on the Broncos' risky decision, however, Elway, general manager Brian Xanders and head coach John Fox must continue to fill holes in the Denver roster. Defensive tackle is an obvious area of concern, but so too is depth at running back and cornerback.

The Broncos' biggest need - literally and figuratively - is clearly at defensive tackle. The team 22nd in the league in run defense in 2011 and that ranking was enhanced by the Broncos' ability to control the clock with their own No. 1 rated running attack. Denver could see two new starters in the defensive interior in 2012 as Brodrick Bunkley signed a free agent contract with the New Orleans Saints and the team hasn't made re-signing Marcus Thomas a priority. As such, should Worthy still be on the board when the Broncos pick at No. 25, the powerful and explosive defender certainly would make a great deal of sense.

Despite leading the NFL in rushing last season, the Broncos need help at the position. Veteran Willis McGahee deserved Comeback Player of the Year consideration after rushing for 1,199 yards in 2011 - just 48 yards shy of his previous career high gained back in 2005 with the Buffalo Bills. Without the threat of Tebow, however, McGahee could sink back to the journeyman status that saw him earn just three starts in his two seasons with Baltimore prior to signing with the Broncos. Polk has as good of tape as any running back in the country not named Trent Richardson. He's the type of determined, physical runner that Fox has preferred over his career and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield capable of earning Manning's trust quickly. If Denver is comfortable with the heavy workload Polk had with the Huskies, he'd be a quality schematic fit in the second round (No. 57 overall).

The Broncos already boast two intriguing big and athletic young receivers in Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas for Peyton Manning to work with but replacing slot receiver and punt returner Eddie Royal (who signed with the San Diego Chargers) could make a versatile playmaker like Matthews a surprise target in the middle rounds (like third round pick, No. 87 overall). The Broncos may have addressed this concern already by signing veterans Andre Caldwell and Jason Hill and are reportedly interested in reuniting Manning with free agent Brandon Stokley but Matthews, who stepped up his game for the Wolfpack in 2011 after Colin Kaepernick was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers, is not only a talented receiver but returned punts for touchdowns in each of his two seasons at Nevada, as well. Still not convinced that Matthews would make sense? Check out this video.

Prior to the series of neck surgeries that sidelined him for the entire 2011 season, Manning's remarkable string of 227 consecutive starts ranks as one of the more impressive accomplishments of any player in NFL history. With Bears' castoff Caleb Hanie and 2011 undrafted free agent Adam Weber as the only quarterbacks on the roster behind Manning, don't be surprised if the Broncos add another passer via the draft. Arizona State's Brock Osweiler visited with the Broncos and, as such, he's been often projected to land in Denver. However, considering the risk involved with Manning's health and advanced age, adding a player with Wilson's starting experience and composure makes sense as well. If still available when the Broncos are up with their first of two picks in the fourth round, the underrated Wilson might simply provide too much value to pass up at No. 108 overall.

The Broncos got younger at cornerback by adding free agent Tracy Porter and releasing Andre Goodman to play opposite Champ Bailey, but with this remains a position of concern, especially considering that Bailey will be entering his 14th NFL season in 2012. Johnson may slip a bit on draft day after a disappointing showing at the Combine, but he plays with the physicality and competitiveness necessary to enjoy success behind the Broncos' extraordinary pass-rushing duo of Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. He'd make sense with the Broncos' second fourth round pick, No. 120 overall.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/18551177/projecting-the-draft-denver-broncos

I think denver will steer clear of russell wilson.
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/senior-bowl-dish-who-hurt-their-draft-stock-during-practices

After a great senior season in which he led Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl, Wilson did not fare as well at the Senior Bowl. It started off badly when he measured under 5-11, and then he struggled with accuracy throughout the week. He showed good mechanics to get rid of the ball quickly and a very strong arm to make every NFL throw without a problem. However, teams canít ignore his height and lack of consistency as a pocket passer. He likely wonít be drafted because his performance this week showed that he will be, at best, a backup quarterback in the NFL
remind you of anyone. anyway at 5' 101/2" he will be lucky to get drafted.

TheReverend
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I view all 5 of those guys as akin to flushing 5 picks down the toilet.

Terrible write up.

BroncoInferno
04-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Terrible write up.

I'm not a big Worthy fan either. Do you have any opinion on Derek Wolfe from Cincy, Rev? I think he is highly undervalued right now and would be a steal in the 2nd. His production is second to none, and his atheticism is highly underrated (4.94 40 and 7.26 3 cone drill at the combine, both among the best among DTs). His motor and technique are superb, and I see little bust potential with him even if his upside is a bit less than some of the other DTs.

snowspot66
04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
I think denver will steer clear of russell wilson.

Why? Don't you know that we desperately need another scrub QB to backup Manning in case he gets hurt again? If we don't have one and Manning goes down our season is doomed!

If I owned a team I think I'd fire any GM or coach that thought it was a good idea to draft a middle or late round quarterback.

This link:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

has a list of every second and third round quarterback from 1992 to 2010. The only great quarterback in the list is Drew Brees (taken 32nd which is now a 1st round pick). Matt Schaub could potentially get there. He's done very well for himself. Other notables, well, only other notables are Jake Plummer, Kordell Stewart, and Brian Griese. Andy Dalton isn't on the list obviously but he was taken 35th and might become something pretty decent some day.

A real inspiring list isn't it? There's not a lot of greatness to be found in the middle rounds or late rounds at QB. When there is it's usually pretty high in the round. Matt Schaub is really the only exception in a list of over 40 names. He was drafted in the end of the third round and has put up Pro Bowl numbers.

A bench warming quarterback doesn't even give you a special teams player. I'll take a Woodyard type player over a middle round QB any day of the week.

TheReverend
04-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm not a big Worthy fan either. Do you have any opinion on Derek Wolfe from Cincy, Rev? I think he is highly undervalued right now and would be a steal in the 2nd. His production is second to none, and his atheticism is highly underrated (4.94 40 and 7.26 3 cone drill at the combine, both among the best among DTs). His motor and technique are superb, and I see little bust potential with him even if his upside is a bit less than some of the other DTs.

I like him a lot. ...but probably not enough to use a 2nd on him. Lots of depth at need positions so I think we'll at least have the OPPORTUNITY to make great value selections at each round's pick.

Requiem
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Snow comes in with the aggressive argument. Five points.

BroncoInferno
04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
I like him a lot. ...but probably not enough to use a 2nd on him. Lots of depth at need positions so I think we'll at least have the OPPORTUNITY to make great value selections at each round's pick.

Yeah, I understand the value aspect and that most pundits have Wolfe going in the 3rd round area. I just think he is being highly undervalued based on his production, technique, and underrated athleticism. I'd take him over Worthy or Poe for sure. I like Still, but his injury history concerns me. Reyes is intriguing, but Wolfe out performed him in the same league (Big East). To me, he's a prospect everyone is sleeping on because they are chasing after "upside."

Baba Booey
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd love the draft that IAOFM projected for us.

OBF1
04-14-2012, 06:10 PM

I was not going to comment until seeing this again. The reason I was not going to respond is this is just the same old stuff that has been posted 25 different times, just someone elses opinion.

I am real tired of hearing that we need to fill the DT position in the worse way, then have the same writer add only one DT when we need more than that and then they start talking about filling positions of DEPTH, ie RB, CB, WR.

This team needs DT's, we have for the past 10 years, when in the hell is it going to be addressed??? We have enough WR's, CB's and TE's to start the year with, Lets address our biggest weakness for a change. If we are not going to go DT, lets then use the NY Giant model and get 4 stud DE's that can get the pressure on the QB every down.

PS: You need more Tim Tebow threads, I miss having half the main board covered with them :~ohyah!:

barryr
04-14-2012, 06:18 PM
The Broncos should do all they can to trade down and get extra picks. The Broncos can get a DT in the middle of the 2nd round as good as one at 25.

Gcver2ver3
04-14-2012, 06:26 PM
my criticisms of that mock is for one hope we draft more than 1 DT, and i also don't see the point in drafting a QB that late...

QBs drafted that late are projects... we already have that in Weber...

Bmore Manning
04-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I like mock draft threads, but I only like Leonard Johnson...

CEH
04-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I d like to see Denver draft the raw AJ Jenkins from the Illini. Manning can make him a star just like Gascon

HAT
04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Reyes is the best DT choice for Denver other than Cox....Just take him at 25 and be done with it. Grab a LB, WR and an Olineman with the next couple of picks and snag a fatty late and they are golden.

I will be really disappointed in EFX if they take more than 1 DT with the first 5 picks.

Requiem
04-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I say we trade up to #4 and take Cox. BoOM

socalorado
04-14-2012, 10:16 PM

Terrible write up.

Yes. Yes and
Yes.

Bmore Manning
04-15-2012, 08:19 AM
As much as I think Cox will be a quality three tech, I would not move up to 4 for him and start mortgaging draft picks like Atlanta did. If you go to 4, you should only consider Claiborne, Richardson, Kalil, or Blackmon.

CEH
04-15-2012, 08:30 AM

I have yet to see Wolfe in the 2nd round . Maybe he's one of those risers but he should be there mid to late 3rd

What do you think of Marcus Forston out of MIA. He's kind of in the same boat as Jsh Champman. A kid who is coming off injury but would have gone higher. I really like him in the later rounds. 6-3 300

Bmore Manning
04-15-2012, 09:10 AM
I have yet to see Wolfe in the 2nd round . Maybe he's one of those risers but he should be there mid to late 3rd

What do you think of Marcus Forston out of MIA. He's kind of in the same boat as Jsh Champman. A kid who is coming off injury but would have gone higher. I really like him in the later rounds. 6-3 300

I know you didn't ask me, but isn't Forston a 3tech similar to DeJohn Harris from USC? I would not wait till 5-6 for one of them right? I'd rather use 1-3 on a UT and maybe 4 on chapman or randal to develop as the NT.

CEH
04-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I know you didn't ask me, but isn't Forston a 3tech similar to DeJohn Harris from USC? I would not wait till 5-6 for one of them right? I'd rather use 1-3 on a UT and maybe 4 on chapman or randal to develop as the NT.

My draft guy hasn't ranked DTs yet and need to get a feel for who Denver brings in for interviews

To tell you the truth after last year and passing on several DTs some who were getting massive love where (Paea comes to mine ) I can't really say what rounds Denver will pick a DT. I hope it's not at #25

I do know Champman and Forston would be right up there as top DTs if not for the injury bug

I think both could go 3rd round

Bmore Manning
04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
My draft guy hasn't ranked DTs yet and need to get a feel for who Denver brings in for interviews

To tell you the truth after last year and passing on several DTs some who were getting massive love where (Paea comes to mine ) I can't really say what rounds Denver will pick a DT. I hope it's not at #25

I do know Champman and Forston would be right up there as top DTs if not for the injury bug

I think both could go 3rd round

I really like Chapman. I don't want a DT if it's a reach @25, I'm with you there.
Hopefully somebody falls and Denver can take them or trade down and stockpile 2's!

Rohirrim
04-15-2012, 09:52 AM
I really like Chapman. I don't want a DT if it's a reach @25, I'm with you there.
Hopefully somebody falls and Denver can take them or trade down and stockpile 2's!

What team will you root for when Peyton retires?

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2012, 10:02 AM

This is probably as accurate a mock as any. I just don't understand the QB pick. Wilson is like the shortest QB in the draft, shorter than the Boise State kid. If the Broncos take a QB in the mid to late rounds it won't be Wilson.

Bmore Manning
04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
What team will you root for when Peyton retires?

Years ago I cheered for Elways success, I have always been a fan of the game and enjoyed good players. I'm sure I will have a little bias to Denver with Manning playing there now. Wherever he coaches, or has an organizational job I will probably have a bias.

It's honestly really hard to say, growing up there was no Baltimore team, so I chose to be open minded to talent and not favor a team. Though I loved Denver with Elway and Montana/Young in San Fran.

I'm like an analyst, how they tend to be neutral, but love good players and study many teams.

MVP-06
04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
1-#25- Hightower, lb Alabama ( leader in the middle for next 10 yrs)
2-#57- Ta'Amu, DT Washington ( big run stuffer that we all know we need)
3-#87- Ben jones, G/C Georgia ( adds much needed depth, could overtake Walton)
4-#108- Joe Adams, WR Arkansas ( best punt returner in the draft IMO, slot guy as well)
4-#120- Kirk Cousins, QB Mich. ST ( our QB project)
5-#137- Terrance Ganaway, RB Baylor ( big bruiser with surprising speed)
6-#188- Coty Sensabaugh, CB Clemson ( depth in case the Squid isn't up to speed)

I think this draft addresses some of our biggest needs without reaching, as well as adding some much needed depth to the WR, OL, RB, and CB positions.

Bigdawg26
04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I would rather trade down a bit and take Doug Martin with the first, Ta'Amu with our second, and maybe Osweiler with the third if he's still there.

MVP-06
04-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I would rather trade down a bit and take Doug Martin with the first, Ta'Amu with our second, and maybe Osweiler with the third if he's still there.

Only one of those three start immediately. We only have about three years to pull this off.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-15-2012, 02:18 PM
To the OP:

You're projecting.

elsid13
04-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Forston needed to stay at Miami another year and work on his techinque. He has the physical talent but he will need to be dedicated to learning how to play in the pros (which is never easy). He will be late 4th to early 5th kinda of guy.