PDA

View Full Version : Could the Three Amigos compete in todays NFL?

Bob
04-14-2012, 02:46 PM
They were impressive, but could they play in today's NFL as starters?

Tombstone RJ
04-14-2012, 02:49 PM

they hardly competed in yesterdays NFL...

Archer81
04-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm going to go with no.

:Broncos:

extralife
04-14-2012, 03:07 PM

this

SonOfLe-loLang
04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
No, but its a silly question. This could probably be said about tons of players from the 80's NFL.

Gcver2ver3
04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
i'm not even sure karl mecklenberg could... and he was our best player aside from Elway...

so no...

TonyR
04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
i'm not even sure karl mecklenberg could...

Yeah I loved that guy but no way he plays today.

Arkie
04-14-2012, 04:00 PM

They couldn't compete in yesterday's NFL without Elway. Vance was cut by Minnesota. His only chance was to come back to Denver. I think Ricky was cut by Tampa Bay.

Punisher
04-14-2012, 04:51 PM

Depends who is the QB if it's PM hell yea they'll compete

Gort
04-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Vance Johnson is 48 years old.
Ricky Nattiel is 45 years old.
Mark Jackson is 48 years old.

so, i'm going to go with "no".

Ironlung
04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah I loved that guy but no way he plays today.

Mecklenburg was a hell of an athlete. I would think a guy who could play linebacker, defensive end, & defensive tackle could make a living in todays nfl.

Bronco Rob
04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
The Albino Rhino played every position on the front seven in 1985 and went to the pro bowl a straight stud. He played at a high level until Guy McIntyre leg whipped him in Super Bowl XXIV. Very cerebral player i always wondered why he didn't go into coach he would have made one heck of a defensive coordinator.

Meck77
04-14-2012, 05:17 PM
i'm not even sure karl mecklenberg could..

I disagree. Probably half of today's defensive players are pulling bongs and slugging beers down on saturdays before the games. Today's players just aren't as dedicated to the game as Karl was.

Hell our team could use a reincarnated young Karl right now!

Punisher
04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
I disagree. Probably half of today's defensive players are pulling bongs and slugging beers down on saturdays before the games. Today's players just aren't as dedicated to the game as Karl was.

Hell our team could use a reincarnated young Karl right now!

This
KMeck is a monster

Meck77
04-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I suspect some were too young to remember punisher.

Meck hits start around the one minute mark.

This video will be a blast from the great past for some of you!

http://youtu.be/Cr0VanenvUg

chanesaw
04-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Those few years when Smith and Atwater were on the field together were great. WRs were afraid to go over the middle.

Gcver2ver3
04-14-2012, 05:38 PM

i'm not too young at all (wish i was)... Meck was an animal, i loved him...

today's athletes are freaks compared to back in the 80s...

i just don't see it... but i could be wrong, no way to truly know...

Requiem
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Another uninspiring thread from Bob.

Meck77
04-14-2012, 05:42 PM

I think you are considering Karl's name is continually kicked around for the HOF. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19697879

To say he couldn't make it on an NFL squad in the modern era just doesn't make sense.

OrangeSe7en
04-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I think they could. You have to look at how they complemented each other. Nattiel was the fastest of the 3. Mark Jackson was a good possession WR who was good at finding the soft spot of zones. Vance Johnson was somewhere in between. Ricky Nattiel's and Vance Johnson's 40 times would be fast by todays standards. The other part of this you have to think about is Elway's arm strength. He did things you don't see in todays NFL. For example, does anyone remember the roll out right and throw downfield to the left side of the field? You don't see that today. It's too micromanaged and also you don't see guys with that kind of skillset either. And with today's rules protecting the QBs, they would have even more time to get open. Their quickness would be an even bigger asset.

Cosmo
04-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Most successful receivers from the 80's could in my opinion. No 5 yard chuck rule back then, no defenseless receiver penalties, and a lot less throwing back then. I'd take an 80's receiver in a heart beat.

TonyR
04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Mecklenburg was a hell of an athlete. I would think a guy who could play linebacker, defensive end, & defensive tackle could make a living in todays nfl.

I was initially thinking he was too small for today's NFL but Pro-Football-Reference lists him at 240 which is bigger than I expected. I was also thinking too slow for today's game but no way to verify that.

Here's a quote I just found from Mecklenburg himself:

Iím not sure I would make a roster in todayís NFL. I was a football player, not a height/weight/40-yard dash guy who looks good in shorts. We had five weeks of full contact, full pads football at our training camps. Todayís training camps are shorter with much less hitting. The majority of practice is done without full pads. There are few opportunities for late round draft picks and undrafted rookie free agents to show that they belong.

http://www.jeffpearlman.com/the-quaz-qa-karl-mecklenburg/

Punisher
04-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Those few years when Smith and Atwater were on the field together were great. WRs were afraid to go over the middle.

lol IMO Atwater won't survive in this flag football league. He'll have to put money aside for all the fines he'll pay

Punisher
04-14-2012, 06:39 PM

KMeck is 6-3 240 almost the same size as DeMarcus Ware 6-4 260 i don't see how he won't be a monster

oubronco
04-14-2012, 06:42 PM

They need to take that video and show it to everyone on the defense and say

"This is how you hit and wrap up at the same time when you tackle"

OrangeSe7en
04-14-2012, 06:49 PM
They need to take that video and show it to everyone on the defense and say

"This is how you hit and wrap up at the same time when you tackle"

The explosion tackles are the worst thing about todays NFL. Defenders try to blow guys up by throwin themselves at a guys legs or by grabbing a guy up high and then sinking their weight into his legs. This is dangerous but in the case of the former, its also really sloppy tackling. It's an absolute joke the lengths Goodell goes to to protect QBs and WRs but the real problem lies in your garden variety tackling. Guys don't wrap anymore. They just go for the knees with their helmet. But the league has been slanted so much in favor of passing that this, as an issue, is almost an afterthought. In stead we get stupid rules like "Complete the act of making a catch."

hambone13
04-14-2012, 09:39 PM

The greatest difference between then and now is the increased awareness of training, nutrition, supplements, etc. If he played today, he would have equal exposure to all of that. I think he would have still been a monster.

Bacchus
04-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Vance Johnson ran a 4.2, ran good routes and did not drop many balls. He would be Manning's favorite target out of the slot and he would have over 100 catches if in his prime.

Navy Broncos Fan
04-15-2012, 02:44 AM
Old Bronco's videos make me want an Atwater jersey so bad.

txtebow
04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6I4KgPwzcdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jebures
04-15-2012, 08:01 AM

dennis smith was awesome. We always had a thumper at safety smith, atwater, kenoy kennedy....we need that again.