PDA

View Full Version : Could this happen in the NFL

broncoblue
04-14-2012, 07:07 AM
http://broncoblue69.blogspot.co.uk/
My soccer team was bought by Indian owners and they are slowly but surely ,well more like a rapid pace, stripping us down to bones. They have sold all the best players and nothing is going back into strengthing the team.
I think this time next year my team will be no longer.

are there safeguards etc in NFL to stop or prevent this?

McDman
04-14-2012, 07:24 AM
If your blog isn't on Myspace, it's hard to take it seriously.

OrangeSe7en
04-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Im not sure how it works in the EPL but I think the other owners have to approve who buys teams. Also, it doesn't make sense to pay (probably overpay) for an NFL team only to diminish it. If you kill it's value, how can you expect to recover what you originally paid? Even though some fan bases are so stalwart that they'll still spend money on the team for a long time after someone does this, it's not a good model.

elsid13
04-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Wouldn't happen in the American Professional Sports leagues because there is built in protection against that sort of actions. The closest we come is the MLB, were "small" market teams don't reinvest in the teams or go after high price FA, and trade away those starter that are going to get a big payday.

broncoblue
04-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Im not sure how it works in the EPL but I think the other owners have to approve who buys teams. Also, it doesn't make sense to pay (probably overpay) for an NFL team only to diminish it. If you kill it's value, how can you expect to recover what you originally paid? Even though some fan bases are so stalwart that they'll still spend money on the team for a long time after someone does this, it's not a good model.

The owners have to pass a "fit and proper test".
Ours have sold about 50-60 million worth of players and spent about 10 on new is simplistic way of describing it.
pocket transfer fees and remorgaged club and not paying bank.

elsid13
04-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Ours have sold about 50-60 million worth of players and spent about 10 on new is simplistic way of describing it.

That sucks. Sound like your league needs a minimum salary floor rule. Or your team headed down to Isthmian League

broncoblue
04-14-2012, 07:55 AM
elsid we are going to be exctinct i think.

OrangeSe7en
04-14-2012, 07:58 AM

What you're describing actually does happen in varying degrees in the US. But a lot of times when the owners dump payroll, the team wasn't good to begin with. It's one thing to pay a lot for the team to be good but it's another to have a high payroll for the team to be bad. But then you also have some owners who feel the fans will come no matter what and they almost dare fans to not show up.

elsid13
04-14-2012, 08:02 AM
elsid we are going to be exctinct i think.

Haven't the Rovers been around since the early 1900's? Wouldn't the League step in and do something? If the Indian Ownership is just raiding the team for money I would think that League could sue them to recoup the funds and force a new ownership group.

broncoblue
04-14-2012, 08:50 AM
1875 WE FORMED ..and we are not top 4 so FA dont care.

Meck77
04-14-2012, 09:29 AM
The chiefs come to mind.

Tombstone RJ
04-14-2012, 09:34 AM
http://broncoblue69.blogspot.co.uk/
My soccer team was bought by Indian owners and they are slowly but surely ,well more like a rapid pace, stripping us down to bones. They have sold all the best players and nothing is going back into strengthing the team.
I think this time next year my team will be no longer.

are there safeguards etc in NFL to stop or prevent this?

I don't think so blue but that said soccer is much more of an international game and hence, teams in Europe (which England is unfortunately still a part of) can be purchased and neglected accordingly. The NFL does have a salary cap and will have a cap floor too so that owners have to pay a certain amount to maintain the team's competitiveness....

broncoblue
04-14-2012, 09:44 AM
WELL HE'S DONE IT AGAIN TODAY.. has not picked strongest team and 3 down and takes leading scorer and most assister off.