PDA

View Full Version : We Landed On The Moon

Bronco Rob
04-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Over the last 30 drafts from 1982 to 2011 the team has selected 40 players listed as defensive linemen when they came off the board. Just three of those selections Karl Mecklenburg, Trevor Pryce and Elvis Dumervil have gone to the Pro Bowl.

And only two Pryce and Dumervil went to the Pro Bowl as defensive linemen, since the do-it-all Mecklenburg was formally moved to linebacker in the Broncos' 3-4 package in 1984.

Nose tackle Greg Kragen was named to one Pro Bowl in his time with the Broncos but did it as an undrafted player.

But the Broncos have found some highly productive players through the years (Simon Fletcher, Shane Dronett), some starters (Robert Ayers, Marcus Thomas and Reggie Hayward) and some guys who went on to play more in other places (like Montae Reagor), but that Pro Bowl list remains short and not so sweet in the big picture.

for the rest... http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20394144/broncos-have-had-more-misses-than-hits-when

errand
04-14-2012, 04:32 AM
Shane Dronett was a highly productive player?

barryr
04-14-2012, 06:31 AM
The Bronco organization has done a poor job drafting defense for many years, but especially at DL. It isn't just who you draft, but coaching the player up is key as well. It isn't like the Broncos have been drafting guys high on the draft who most figured were low round guys or shouldn't be drafted, so the coaching part on the defense has been lacking IMO. You can't keep drafting poorly in one position or unit for so long without some explanation.

Bacchus
04-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Shane Dronett was a highly productive player?

He went on to play for Atlanta in the SB. He had a good 10 year career.

Tombstone RJ
04-14-2012, 08:49 AM
I love the Ozzie comment on how he's been so successful: "luck". Again, the draft is an educated guess, nothing more. When you make that pick you are basically guessing that this draft pick will pan out and be the player you "hope" he can be. If you do your due dilligence the risk is somewhat mitigated. That being said, it's never, ever, ever a sure thing.

TheReverend
04-14-2012, 09:00 AM
I love the Ozzie comment on how he's been so successful: "luck". Again, the draft is an educated guess, nothing more. When you make that pick you are basically guessing that this draft pick will pan out and be the player you "hope" he can be. If you do your due dilligence the risk is somewhat mitigated. That being said, it's never, ever, ever a sure thing.

Nothing is.

Tombstone RJ
04-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Nothing is.

Yep, Andrew Luck is about as close as you can get to a "sure thing" and even then, do we know 100% for sure he will be great?

TheReverend
04-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Yep, Andrew Luck is about as close as you can get to a "sure thing" and even then, do we know 100% for sure he will be great?

When you cross a street do you know you'll get to the other side?

Gort
04-14-2012, 09:04 AM

???

Ryan Leaf. 'nuff said.

Arkie
04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
A player like Ryan Leaf would be comparable to Ryan Mallet today. Just having a big arm and big frame isn't enough to wow NFL teams anymore. Leaf's character and cerebral ability would be bigger concerns today.

Jay3
04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
And only two Pryce and Dumervil went to the Pro Bowl as defensive linemen, since the do-it-all Mecklenburg was formally moved to linebacker in the Broncos' 3-4 package in 1984.

And Dumervil's first Pro Bowl as also a 3-4 linebacker.

RunSilentRunDeep
04-14-2012, 04:27 PM
The "only 3 out of 40" line is kind of stupid when you compare the number of pro bowlers to the total number of players in the league. I bet the Broncos hit rate of WRs is far worse, no matter what they're capable of.

errand
04-15-2012, 06:17 AM
He went on to play for Atlanta in the SB. He had a good 10 year career.

You're right, he forged a decent 11 year career....sorry my memory failed me

21 of his career 44 sacks came as a Bronco.

He developed a brain tumor, and even though it was removed he evidently was still in pain...he committed suicide in 2009.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2012, 07:56 AM
???

Ryan Leaf. 'nuff said.

When was Leaf ever a "sure" thing? Lots of teams had flags on him prior to the draft dude. I doubt you can say the same of Luck.

Cito Pelon
04-15-2012, 02:23 PM
The defensive drafting by the Broncos has been horrible for a long, long time. Of course they haven't had much continuity in the DC position since Joe Collier. Dan Reeves hired Wade Phillips after he fired Collier, got a few good years out of Wade (Wade actually did a good job acquiring talent), then Shanny went through DC's like grass through a goose, culminating with the ridiculous, incomprehensible hiring of Jim Bates and the subsequent elevation of Bob Slowik to DC.

Interesting that Slowik is the LB coach for the Redskins, and they hired Raheem Morris as the DB coach. Bobby Slowik who I'm guessing is Slowik's son is a defensive assistant, Kyle Shanahan is the OC, Jacob Burney is the DL coach. Shanny likes familiar faces around him.

Bacchus
04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
You're right, he forged a decent 11 year career....sorry my memory failed me

21 of his career 44 sacks came as a Bronco.

He developed a brain tumor, and even though it was removed he evidently was still in pain...he committed suicide in 2009.

Oh yeah, I forgot that he killed himself, sad story.

Quoydogs
04-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I read all this and saw no sign of gutless drunk ?

Requiem
04-15-2012, 09:28 PM
When you cross a street do you know you'll get to the other side?

Post of the Year. Hilarious!

Gort
04-16-2012, 05:27 AM
When was Leaf ever a "sure" thing? Lots of teams had flags on him prior to the draft dude. I doubt you can say the same of Luck.

so now a QB taken with the #2 pick is not considered a sure thing ???

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1352/5170679340_ee96d31728_z.jpg

the point is that all those people touting Luck as a sure-thing can't-miss future HOF QB are engaging in just a wee bit of hyperbole. NOBODY is a sure-thing. NOBODY.