PDA

View Full Version : WR Brandon Stokely could be back with the Denver Broncos reunited with Manning.

KevinJames
04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
(https://twitter.com/#%21/JasonLaCanfora)Jason La Canfora ‏ <s>@</s>JasonLaCanfora (https://twitter.com/#%21/JasonLaCanfora) Brandon Stokley, one of Peyton Manning's favorite WRs, still strong possibility to end up with him in Denver. Will visit the Broncos soon

Jason La Canfora reports that the Broncos remain interested in signing WR Brandon Stokley, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Requiem
04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
No.

Broncobiv
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I74BG0YFKUc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tombstone RJ
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
well alrighty then...

FireFly
04-13-2012, 10:26 PM
I really liked him in the time he was with the Broncos - before then as well!

...but honestly, until we got Manning this year I thought he was out of the league

Bmore Manning
04-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Stokely or Blair White.. Hmmm

What's behind door #3?

razorwire77
04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I think people are forgetting that after Thomas and Decker we have garbage at the WR position. Stokely could be sort of a player coach as they implement a Manning offense and he certainly couldn't be any worse than whatever sandwich artist 5th WR could be on the roster.

broncosteven
04-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Possession guy they can rely on to catch a 5 yard pass to convert some 3rd downs. Plus maybe he gets a deflection to win a game or 2.

BroncoBen
04-13-2012, 11:00 PM

What's behind door #3?

Well I guess Blair White is younger.. but I like the idea of bringing in Stokely for veteran league minimum. And if he can stick to the roster after the training camp all the better.

BroncoMan4ever
04-13-2012, 11:45 PM
bring him in. if he can't make the 53 man roster then no harm no foul. if he can make the roster we get a solid intelligent possession receiver with a great relationship with Manning who could act as a bridge between Peyton and his new young receivers.

Doggcow
04-13-2012, 11:56 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I74BG0YFKUc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This.

I'm always STOKED to have him on our team.

Coolest play ever.

Natedogg
04-13-2012, 11:58 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/25/250811.jpg

It'll be different this time.

lonestar
04-14-2012, 12:32 AM
I think people are forgetting that after Thomas and Decker we have garbage at the WR position. Stokely could be sort of a player coach as they implement a Manning offense and he certainly couldn't be any worse than whatever sandwich artist 5th WR could be on the roster.

As Much as I liked Decker in college so far nether of these two have proved they are any better than the "garbage" you think the rest of the guys are..

I think Willis will have just as good a year as your wunderkin will have....

KevinJames
04-14-2012, 12:34 AM
As Much as I liked Decker in college so far nether of these two have proved they are any better than the "garbage" you think the rest of the guys are..

I think Willis will have just as good a year as your wunderkin will have....

Please Thomas is a legit #1 and most likely with Manning Eric Decker is a legit #2.

we need a slot guy, get Stokely and Ryan Broyles in the 3rd round of the draft. :strong:

Quit with the BS.

lonestar
04-14-2012, 12:36 AM
This.

I'm always STOKED to have him on our team.

Coolest play ever.

What I liked about that was his presence of mind to milk the clock at the goal line took about 4-5 seconds off the clock..

If he has anything left in the tank go for it John. He knows Manning and that is half the battle..

lonestar
04-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Please Thomas is a legit #1 and Decker is a legit #2/#3

we need a slot guy, get Stokely and Ryan Broyles in the 3rd round of the draft. :strong:

Quit with the BS.

what have they proved so far?

They dropped about a third of their passes last year..

When they were on the field and not in the hot tub..

Do they have potential? absolutely, will they measure up to Manning's high standards I'm doubting that as we speak..

KevinJames
04-14-2012, 12:55 AM
what have they proved so far?

They dropped about a third of their passes last year..

When they were on the field and not in the hot tub..

Do they have potential? absolutely, will they measure up to Manning's high standards I'm doubting that as we speak..

Yo you serious?

Tim Tebow was throwing them the football thats not always an easy ball to catch....

I counted like 3 or 4 real drops among Thomas
and maybe 4 real drops for Decker

this is the most physical WR core Manning's ever had in his life, one of them will definitely be in the Pro Bowl in 2013.

Blart
04-14-2012, 12:59 AM
STOKLEY! BACK ON OUR TEAM?!?! STOKLEY!!! WOOOOOOWWW!

lonestar
04-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Yo you serious?

Tim Tebow was throwing them the football thats not always an easy ball to catch....

I counted like 3 or 4 real drops among Thomas
and maybe 4 real drops for Decker

this is the most physical WR core Manning's ever had in his life, one of them will definitely be in the Pro Bowl in 2013.

the numbers have been posted eleswhere.. about 25% for DT and decekr not to far behind..

But maybe I read them wrong..

As for DT he had about that many 3-4 in the Bear game alone

KevinJames
04-14-2012, 01:05 AM
the numbers have been posted eleswhere.. about 25% for DT and decekr not to far behind..

I remember 1 real one and thats the TD drop. Maybe there was another one I don't know I would have to go back and watch, but there was a few "drops" that really aren't fair to pin on the WRs.

If you don't think 2 6'3 WRs one with sub 4.4 speed and the other with sub 4.5 speed isn't going to be up to Manning's standards your crazy. Manning is probably salivating at the thought of throwing to both of these guys. Do you remember what DT did to Ike Taylor in that Pittsburgh game? Decker can get deep and Thomas can get deep, Manning is going to love these guys.

Jetmeck
04-14-2012, 01:22 AM

he did alright after football........lol

MVP-06
04-14-2012, 02:07 AM

What's behind door #3?

Joe Adams- wr Arkansas I hope

Taco John
04-14-2012, 03:03 AM
If he can make the squad, I'm all for it. He could provide some good depth. If he breaks the starting line up, however, God help us and Eric Decker.

errand
04-14-2012, 04:31 AM
bring him in. if he can't make the 53 man roster then no harm no foul. if he can make the roster we get a solid intelligent possession receiver with a great relationship with Manning who could act as a bridge between Peyton and his new young receivers.

Exactly....but since this makes sense, we're gonna have clowns in here saying "no way".

UberBroncoMan
04-14-2012, 04:39 AM
If he can make the squad, I'm all for it. He could provide some good depth. If he breaks the starting line up, however, God help us and Eric Decker.

He'd be 3rd down slot with Decker/Thomas stating on the outside, imo.

kcbroncofan
04-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Do you guys remember the game that he had to hold down Marshals hands in the endzone because dumbazz was trying to pull out some gloves ? Shat like that is why I would gladly give Stokley a chance to make the team.

elsid13
04-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Denver needs to get a receiver this draft. Glad there is some very good depth there.

uplink
04-14-2012, 05:23 AM
he is a good/experienced slot receiver. You can't really count on inexperienced players to contribute.

Smilin Assassin
04-14-2012, 07:09 AM
If he was being brought in to be our #1 or #2, I could see why anyone would be against a vet minimum deal.

He's not.

If anything, he offers veteran leadership and a buffer bewteen Manning and our offense. If he can't beat out the other WRs on our team, he won't be on it in september.

montrose
04-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I'd rather sign Blair White, but no harm in a camp looksie.

barryr
04-14-2012, 07:22 AM
He is worth a look, but the Broncos should look for better. The WR class in this draft is deep .

Meck77
04-14-2012, 07:45 AM

One of the greatest Broncos of all time. Hilarious!

Broncoman13
04-14-2012, 08:07 AM
People keep talking about how good DT and Decker will be under Manning... But I am in wait and see mode. Manning works off of precision routes and his wceivers being extremely adept at cutting at just the right moment. I think both Decker and DT have to show they have the quick twitch cuts to be effective and up until now, they have never had to run a ton of precise routes. McD's offense put them into open spots on the field. Manning style offenses do some of the same things, but it is also based heavily on the receivers adjusting based on how the defense aligns. If a CB lines up outside shoulder vs inside shoulder for example... I just don't know how much DT and Deck have had to make those reads at this point. Cautiously optimistic I am.

DENVERDUI55
04-14-2012, 08:17 AM

TT end over curveball at your toes is easy to catch.

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Too much is brought up about DT and Decker dropping passes. It isn't easy trying to catch one of Tebow's wobbly floaters, or passes 3 or more yards behind the receiver or those curves at the feet of his receivers. I for one cant wait to see what these guys look like with a QB who can throw the ball with accuracy

houghtam
04-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Too much is brought up about DT and Decker dropping passes. It isn't easy trying to catch one of Tebow's wobbly floaters, or passes 3 or more yards behind the receiver or those curves at the feet of his receivers. I for one cant wait to see what these guys look like with a QB who can throw the ball with accuracy

They were dropping passes with Orton too, for the umteenth time.

cmhargrove
04-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey, Rod Smith still had value all the way up to the bitter end. He couldn't get wide open, but he caught everything thrown his way. In a 4 WR set, there is a place for a possession guy like Stokely.

Chris
04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Hey, Rod Smith still had value all the way up to the bitter end. He couldn't get wide open, but he caught everything thrown his way. In a 4 WR set, there is a place for a possession guy like Stokely.

Pretty sure Rich Eisen runs faster than him at this point.

Heyneck
04-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Uhhh... I love Peyton but if you look at this video... he throws a lot of wobbly passes. He is just very accurate with them. But it does show that "wobbly" passes shouldn't be much of a problem. In the other hand... Decker and Thomas dropped passes that hit them in the numbers or hands. If you remember Thomas scout report when he came out of college said that he could make some really tough catches... but had the problem of the drops with the easier ones.

I think Decker is the one that will actually excel in this offense. DT will have his hiccups... but will get better as the season improves. Remember he also is not the best route runner. But yeah... it was all Tebow fault to all you who couldn't stand him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0Hr6CVURWpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lonestar
04-14-2012, 01:27 PM
I remember 1 real one and thats the TD drop. Maybe there was another one I don't know I would have to go back and watch, but there was a few "drops" that really aren't fair to pin on the WRs.

If you don't think 2 6'3 WRs one with sub 4.4 speed and the other with sub 4.5 speed isn't going to be up to Manning's standards your crazy. Manning is probably salivating at the thought of throwing to both of these guys. Do you remember what DT did to Ike Taylor in that Pittsburgh game? Decker can get deep and Thomas can get deep, Manning is going to love these guys.

As for thefew "drops" I have always been of the opinion that if an NFL WR touches the ball he should be able to catch it.. If it is behind you, over your head, in the dirt or anywhere the ball comes, they pay you big buck to make the catch.. Period end of discussion..

There are a miriad of reasons why the ball may be off, but being in the NFL as receiver means you have to be able to go get the pass..

I'm not saying they make every catch, but DT's numbers are not that good to excuse his dropping of passes..

PErsonnly after looking at his stats last year catching only 32 balls, even with Manning throwing to him. Maybe he will only the long ball guy and then 40-50 catches would be good.. I'm hoping that we get yet another WR between now and regular season..

Personally I think Manning is going be pissed at the lack of discipline they have had the past few years..

RaiderH8r
04-14-2012, 01:31 PM

If you can touch it you can catch. That is the standard. Expecting anything less is uncivilized.

lonestar
04-14-2012, 01:31 PM
People keep talking about how good DT and Decker will be under Manning... But I am in wait and see mode. Manning works off of precision routes and his wceivers being extremely adept at cutting at just the right moment. I think both Decker and DT have to show they have the quick twitch cuts to be effective and up until now, they have never had to run a ton of precise routes. McD's offense put them into open spots on the field. Manning style offenses do some of the same things, but it is also based heavily on the receivers adjusting based on how the defense aligns. If a CB lines up outside shoulder vs inside shoulder for example... I just don't know how much DT and Deck have had to make those reads at this point. Cautiously optimistic I am.

I agree with this completely.. I do not see our guys being the level of WR he has had in years past..

I know he will make them better but just how far can they grow ina few months.. With DTs lack of mouth skills in the Tebow debacle one wonders if he is mature enough to handle prefection that Manning requires..

lonestar
04-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Manning is a perfectionist.. he often had his O running routes after hours to get to where they needed to be.. I just do not see DT in particular rising to that level..

Decker IIRC caught everything near him in college and ran good routes.

DT was very limited in college in route running and was not used much.. With DT's injuries over the past two years he has only played in 21 games and started in 7, not much to hang your hat on this kid.. has loads of potential but betting the farm on him well not smart.. expecting him to be an all pro because he caught THE ONE pass in OT, well that is being very optimistic..

lonestar
04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
If you can touch it you can catch. That is the standard. Expecting anything less is uncivilized.

That is indeed the NFL standard..

why every one feels the need to put all the blame on Tebow is beyond me.. Since none of us were in the huddle, film room None of us know if the WR ran the correct routes or made the cuts correctly.. So placing all the blame ALL on Tebow well just may be misinformed.

BroncoMan4ever
04-14-2012, 02:16 PM
That is indeed the NFL standard..

why every one feels the need to put all the blame on Tebow is beyond me.. Since none of us were in the huddle, film room None of us know if the WR ran the correct routes or made the cuts correctly.. So placing all the blame ALL on Tebow well just may be misinformed.

That is the NFL the QB gets all the praise in wins and all the blame in losses unless he is named Tebow, then he only receives praise and critics are haters. Nevermind several of his miracles were due to defense holding teams in check, Prater drilling kicks, or incompetence of opposition, in the eyes of the blind followers it was all Tim.

Now in the case of drops, they happen to everyone. People need to remember that DT and Decker are young and have been jerked around in systems and their development. Both had injuries leading into their rookie years, DT had one leading into year 2. You cant really say they were dropping passes with Orton because they weren't big parts of the offense while he played. Neither of them have played much with an accurate passer and that shows in drops and route running.

Broncoman13
04-14-2012, 04:02 PM
That is the NFL the QB gets all the praise in wins and all the blame in losses unless he is named Tebow, then he only receives praise and critics are haters. Nevermind several of his miracles were due to defense holding teams in check, Prater drilling kicks, or incompetence of opposition, in the eyes of the blind followers it was all Tim.

Now in the case of drops, they happen to everyone. People need to remember that DT and Decker are young and have been jerked around in systems and their development. Both had injuries leading into their rookie years, DT had one leading into year 2. You cant really say they were dropping passes with Orton because they weren't big parts of the offense while he played. Neither of them have played much with an accurate passer and that shows in drops and route running.

Elway made a name for himself after a very critical fumble. You can points to mistakes made all over the place in almost every game. Team sport. Just as Elway got a lot of the praise during those comebacks. As for WRs catching passes, most everyone you talk to considers the ball Wes Welker missed in the SB a drop... But it wasn't an accurate pass either. Sometimes receivers are just expected to make the play despite the ball not being perfectly placed. The difference between Tebow and most QBs is, Tebow is so inconsistent he is hard to adjust to. Kind of like Randy Johnson in his early years!