PDA

View Full Version : Tannehill at number 3?

DBroncos4life
04-12-2012, 06:35 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7805713

Jim Irsay has his pick of quarterbacks Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III with his Indianapolis Colts owning the NFL draft's No. 1 overall selection. He's also, however, using his Twitter account to try to play matchmaker for quarterback prospect Ryan Tannehill.

The Colts owner called Tannehill the "hidden gem" of the draft and suggested that if a team wants to select him, it will have to talk trade with the Minnesota Vikings, who own the No. 3 pick.

"Tannehill is a hidden gem in this draft, a quiet secret who was always sneaking up to #3..you want him,you better talk to Zigi The Biggie!," Irsay wrote Wednesday afternoon.

Irsay regularly voices his opinions on Twitter, even using the social media platform to announce Indianapolis' personnel moves during the season. "Zigi The Biggie" is a reference to Vikings owner Zygi Wilf.

The Cleveland Browns at No. 4 and the Miami Dolphins at No. 8 are two teams that could draft Tannehill if they get the chance. The Browns were involved in trade talks with the St. Louis Rams for the No. 2 pick before being outbid by the Washington Redskins. Miami had failed courtships of quarterbacks Peyton Manning, Matt Flynn and Alex Smith this offseason as it tries to find a franchise quarterback.

The Kansas City Chiefs at No. 11 and Seattle Seahawks at No. 12 also have been said at one point in time to have interest in Tannehill.

Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman, who was fired as Texas A&M's coach in December after four seasons, coached Tannehill with the Aggies.

The Vikings presumably will not draft a quarterback with the third pick after taking Christian Ponder in the first round of last year's draft. But if the Dolphins or another team covet Tannehill and fear the Browns might take him at No. 4, they could be potential trade partners with Minnesota for its pick.

Tannehill converted from receiver to quarterback, which he played in high school, halfway through the 2010 season and caught the attention of NFL scouts despite starting just 19 games behind center for the Aggies.

At his pro day last month, Tannehill worked out for representatives of 22 NFL teams, including Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, Dolphins coach Joe Philbin and Browns offensive coordinator Brad Childress. It was their first offseason look at Tannehill after he missed the combine while recovering from foot surgery.

At his pro day last month, Tannehill showed off his mobility, accuracy and arm strength. While he wasn't throwing against a defense, he had only three incompletions (he missed one long pass and had two drops) on 68 passes thrown. He also ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds.

Tannehill was moved to receiver as a freshman after losing the quarterback competition. He had 1,453 yards receiving and nine touchdowns in his first two seasons combined at A&M and had 143 yards receiving as a junior before returning to quarterback.

Tannehill went 12-7 in 1.5 seasons at the position for the Aggies. He threw for 1,638 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2010 and had 3,744 yards passing with 29 touchdowns last season.

Information from ESPN.com AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley and The Associated Press was used in this report.

DBroncos4life
04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
When is the last time QB's went 1,2, and 3 in the draft? Also if he does go third how does that shape the rest of the draft for teams needing QBs? Seems like sitting at 25 might be a good spot for a team willing to trade back into the first round and reach for Weeden or another QB.

Chris
04-12-2012, 06:50 PM
When is the last time QB's went 1,2, and 3 in the draft? Also if he does go third how does that shape the rest of the draft for teams needing QBs? Seems like sitting at 25 might be a good spot for a team willing to trade back into the first round and reach for Weeden or another QB.

Last year was a pretty weird year and it worked out for us. Hopefully this year's the same. We've made it clear that we like to move around.

Heyneck
04-12-2012, 06:55 PM

I think... Tim Couch, Akili Smith and McNab.

Goobzilla
04-12-2012, 06:56 PM
It's gotta be Kalil at 3, doesn't it?

Chris
04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Is Irsay suggesting the Vikes will draft a QB two years in a row? If so, fat chance. Just trying to drum up interest for his buddy.

gyldenlove
04-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Is Irsay suggesting the Vikes will draft a QB two years in a row? If so, fat chance. Just trying to drum up interest for his buddy.

I think the idea would be that Cleveland would move up to secure Tannehill now that they whiffed on RGIII.

Tombstone RJ
04-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Do it!! Do it!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lmUZGdi7Ty4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OrangeSe7en
04-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Irsay is one big attention whore.

Pony Boy
04-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Tannehill will be another Andy Dalton, he has good QB skills but not on the same level with Luck and RG3 but saying that there will be 3 or 4 qb's with better upside than Dalton in next years draft.

theAPAOps5
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I think... Tim Couch, Akili Smith and McNab.

You would be correct.

Broncobiv
04-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I think the idea would be that Cleveland would move up to secure Tannehill now that they whiffed on RGIII.

Yep...Irsay's Tweet said, "...you want him,you better talk to Zigi The Biggie!"

Meaning...if any team (not the Vikings) wants Tannehill, they need to talk to the Vikes at #3 in order to be able to draft him.

broncosteven
04-12-2012, 08:15 PM
I think Irsay is a nut job

uplink
04-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I also thought the QBs would go higher than Mock's are predicting. Just like last year, maybe it is easier to take a flyer on a QB early with the rookie wage scale. It is by far the most important position in the NFL.

Rohirrim
04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Irsay is smoking dope. Like Mayock said today, when he originally scouted Tannehill he had him at late first, early second, and sees no reason to change that. If some team takes him at #3, or even in the top ten, they're just losing their heads.

broncocalijohn
04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
It's gotta be Kalil at 3, doesn't it?

that or trade down. Tannehill is a reach at #3. If you want him, drop down. If he is gone, no biggie if you have other big needs.

strafen
04-12-2012, 09:16 PM

If Tannehill goes early, that would make the next avaialble QB a hot commodity. If he goes to Miami per-se, there will still be a couple other teams trying to find their next franchise QB; Cleveland and Seattle...

strafen
04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I think Irsay is a nut jobAre you going on a limb? :)

schaaf
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Im gonna celebrate in this thread! I was hired today for a job making over 6 figures a year, at 20 years old, hellz yeah

DBroncos4life
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
If Tannehill goes early, that would make the next avaialble QB a hot commodity. If he goes to Miami per-se, there will still be a couple other teams trying to find their next franchise QB; Cleveland and Seattle...
I agree, it makes teams over think things when a rush of a position starts getting drafted IMO.

Shananahan
04-12-2012, 10:01 PM
I also thought the QBs would go higher than Mock's are predicting. Just like last year, maybe it is easier to take a flyer on a QB early with the rookie wage scale. It is by far the most important position in the NFL.
Yep. It's much smarter and more affordable to draft talented QBs now, and it benefits those teams who really need one as well as those who can afford to groom them and trade them.

DBroncos4life
04-12-2012, 10:04 PM

True i didn't see Locker or Gabbert as first rounders let alone top 15 picks.

24champ
04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I saw a story that some NFL exec said half the teams in the top ten want to trade down. Sounds like a lot of gamesmanship going on and this is when the hype machine starts to ramp up.

BroncoMan4ever
04-12-2012, 11:20 PM
wow, someone in the top 5 is really going to regret taking Tannehill that high. I think he has potential, but i truly believe he is not going to become an elite QB in the NFL. maybe a Joe Flacco type at best.

CEH
04-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Brian Billick said the Balt Raven had their highest grade ever given to a single player on some guy named JaMarcus Russell . Even the best in the business make mistakes.

Bronco Rob
04-13-2012, 05:46 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZxHAZChcYU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:~ohyah!:

TheChamp24
04-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Enough with overdrafting freakin QB's. It pisses me off, although it works out for us I guess since other players fall to us.

Gabbert and Ponder had no business in the top 15 last year, Tannehil has no freakin business at pick 3.
Weeden in the 1st? Sweet mother of god.

cmhargrove
04-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Enough with overdrafting freakin QB's. It pisses me off, although it works out for us I guess since other players fall to us.

Gabbert and Ponder had no business in the top 15 last year, Tannehil has no freakin business at pick 3.

Hey, it's all good for us as long as our FO isn't QB shopping. Keep selling QB's and OT's early, that way we will have some real choices at 25.

Bronco Rob
04-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Hey, it's all good for us as long as our FO isn't QB shopping. Keep selling QB's and OT's early, that way we will have some real choices at 25.

:thumbs:

DBroncos4life
04-13-2012, 06:16 AM

Why does other teams drafting QBs piss you off? Even Mel said Tannehil is one of the most underrated players in the draft.

Garcia Bronco
04-13-2012, 07:16 AM
LOL...RGIII isn't ont he same level as Luck. It's not even close.

TheChamp24
04-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Why does other teams drafting QBs piss you off? Even Mel said Tannehil is one of the most underrated players in the draft.

When Gabbert was talked up about possibly being the #1 overall pick, it blew my mind. I'm an OU alumn, so I saw the kid play, he looked like average as can be, and you know what, his production at Missouri proved that. Then in the NFL he was horse****.
Tannehil has great athleticism, but spent 1 1/2 years QB'ing and looked okay for the most part against what many believe to be a weak defensive conference.

Dedhed
04-13-2012, 07:52 AM

I think he's saying that there is no way he gets past the Browns at #4 so if there is a team out there that wants him, the only chance is to get to #3.

DBroncos4life
04-13-2012, 07:53 AM
When Gabbert was talked up about possibly being the #1 overall pick, it blew my mind. I'm an OU alumn, so I saw the kid play, he looked like average as can be, and you know what, his production at Missouri proved that. Then in the NFL he was horse****.
Tannehil has great athleticism, but spent 1 1/2 years QB'ing and looked okay for the most part against what many believe to be a weak defensive conference.

I hate everything about Gabbert and his punk ass family. Both blew off NU and Suh made him pay lol. Tannehil is a much better player in my mind and the earlier he goes the more valuable the next QB will become. That helps us since we don't need a QB yet.

Captain 'Dre
04-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Tim Couch, D. McNabb and Akili Smith, in that order in... whatever year it was. 2000?

Seems to me that Tannehill would be a huge reach at #3...

Captain 'Dre
04-13-2012, 08:24 AM

I'd figure Cleveland would be happy to select Trent Richardson. If I'm in Browns' management, no way do I give up much at all to position the team to take Tannehill.

Captain 'Dre
04-13-2012, 08:25 AM
I think Irsay is a nut job

And I second the notion. :)

Captain 'Dre
04-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Irsay is smoking dope. Like Mayock said today, when he originally scouted Tannehill he had him at late first, early second, and sees no reason to change that. If some team takes him at #3, or even in the top ten, they're just losing their heads.

The "dope" he's smoking must be heroin. Weed doesn't make anybody as stupid as Irsay sounds.

Captain 'Dre
04-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Im gonna celebrate in this thread! I was hired today for a job making over 6 figures a year, at 20 years old, hellz yeah

Jebus, dude! Congrats.

What are you getting paid six figures to do?

And by "six figures", presumably you're not counting the two zeroes to the right of the decimal point as digits.... 'cause even a 20 year old wouldn't be geeked about making $1,000.00

Captain 'Dre
04-13-2012, 08:32 AM
I think he's saying that there is no way he gets past the Browns at #4 so if there is a team out there that wants him, the only chance is to get to #3.

If that's what he's saying he sure has a goofy, idiotic way of saying it.

Reminds me of the saying about "Give a guy a microphone, and he thinks he's a comedian".

jonny1
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Invest wisely, my son.

I hear Warren Sapp is opening a financial consulting firm . . . .

Shananahan
04-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I hate everything about Gabbert and his punk ass family. Both blew off NU and Suh made him pay lol.
The amount of hatred for the Gabberts in this state is hilarious. It's great how sore and bitter everybody is about being snubbed by two guys who, by most accounts, weren't really that good.

DBroncos4life
04-13-2012, 12:21 PM
The amount of hatred for the Gabberts in this state is hilarious. It's great how sore and bitter everybody is about being snubbed by two guys who, by most accounts, weren't really that good.

Blaine doing it wasn't that bad IMO, his D bag brother was. On the bright side I think there is a third brother that hasn't been offered yet.

pricejj
04-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Tannehill > McCoy

oubronco
04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Wow Really? If Tannehill goes #3 someone is going to really over reach for the next QB and I'll be laughing watching all the Defensive players drop right to us

Tombstone RJ
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Wow Really? If Tannehill goes #3 someone is going to really over reach for the next QB and I'll be laughing watching all the Defensive players drop right to us

this is why it's so great. Do it, just do it! The more QBs taken off the board before the Broncos pick, the DTs that are available.

MVP-06
04-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Irsay should be banned from twitter, period