PDA

View Full Version : Why not trade back...

BroncoBen
04-10-2012, 10:22 PM
.. for a high 2nd round pick and mid 3rd round pick ?
I was looking at a point chart and it would make sence if the Broncos really wanted to draft QB Brock Osweiler. Provided they find a team that wanted to play.
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

That One Guy
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I can't see them making Osweiler their top draftee after bringing in Manning. They need a premier player to parade from the draft and then they can get him if he falls a bit.

vancejohnson82
04-10-2012, 10:32 PM
pretty original thought

I'll have to sleep on it though before I comment

Requiem
04-10-2012, 10:34 PM
They can trade down and accumulate picks, but if they trade down just to select a QB after bringing in Manning everyone associated with EFX needs to be **** punted to the moon.

tsiguy96
04-10-2012, 10:36 PM
this team needs quality, stay at 25 or even move up and get a good guy.

OBF1
04-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Personally I think we need some sort of impact players, going backwards in a draft that I do not think is real strong would not accomplish that. I would like us to do the opposite and move up into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

WASTING a pick on a qb when Manning is in his 1st season with us would be a waste of a pick. Look how well the other QB's behind Manning faired in Indianapolis.

Manning is not in Denver to teach his one day replacement, He is there to make it happen. To accomplish that he is going to need impact players, not a bunch of crap that we have had the past number of years.

Quality, not quantity.

BroncoMan4ever
04-11-2012, 12:02 AM

while i agree this team needs quality picks, the number 25 pick is too low to get a top flight 1st rounder and it is too high to start picking the next level of players.

Denver is in that area of the 1st round of the draft where it is a bitch to pick. most or all of the guys you want with the 1st rounder are gone and it is too soon to pick the guys you have marked as your 2nd rounder.

best case scenario is someone falls unexpectedly and Denver can pounce, or we can trade back with a team that has 2-2nds or a high 2nd and a 3rd. but if we use an acquired 2nd rounder on a QB i might punch a baby or kick a puppy.

BroncoMan4ever
04-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Personally I think we need some sort of impact players, going backwards in a draft that I do not think is real strong would not accomplish that. I would like us to do the opposite and move up into the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

WASTING a pick on a qb when Manning is in his 1st season with us would be a waste of a pick. Look how well the other QB's behind Manning faired in Indianapolis.
Manning is not in Denver to teach his one day replacement, He is there to make it happen. To accomplish that he is going to need impact players, not a bunch of crap that we have had the past number of years.

Quality, not quantity.

in all fairness to the QBs that Peyton had behind him who were drafted, were any of them ever high picks? most were late draft picks. if EFX draft a QB high, it is because that pick is expected to learn for the next 3 years and then take over for Peyton, not to be a permanent backup.

lonestar
04-11-2012, 01:24 AM
.. for a high 2nd round pick and mid 3rd round pick ?
I was looking at a point chart and it would make sence if the Broncos really wanted to draft QB Brock Osweiler. Provided they find a team that wanted to play.
http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/draft_point_value_chart.htm

How are you going get a Hugh second and a mid third from the same team?

If you trade picks your going to get either two high in each of those rounds or mids. Each of Your picks is basicaly in the same spot in each round plusmor minus a couple if you have the same record as another team does.

Would be a nice idea but Goodell may not allow it.

Jetmeck
04-11-2012, 01:42 AM

amen brother

ol#7
04-11-2012, 01:42 AM
while i agree this team needs quality picks, the number 25 pick is too low to get a top flight 1st rounder and it is too high to start picking the next level of players.

Denver is in that area of the 1st round of the draft where it is a b**** to pick. most or all of the guys you want with the 1st rounder are gone and it is too soon to pick the guys you have marked as your 2nd rounder.

best case scenario is someone falls unexpectedly and Denver can pounce, or we can trade back with a team that has 2-2nds or a high 2nd and a 3rd. but if we use an acquired 2nd rounder on a QB i might punch a baby or kick a puppy.

Steve Atwater and Trevor Pryce were late 1st round picks.

Why people on this board are in love with hoarding later round draft picks is beyond me.

Jetmeck
04-11-2012, 01:44 AM

Quality, not quantity.

quality freakin DL....................WE ARE OFFICIALLY all in..........get some quality defensive studs in here....

cutthemdown
04-11-2012, 03:23 AM
Trading back has to involve a team wanting a player they can only get by moving up to your spot. You just never know if you will have a chance to trade back. I think its a decision they make based on either:

1-an offer you cant refuse
2-your player isn't there anymore, and you get lucky enough someone wants your pick.

UberBroncoMan
04-11-2012, 05:44 AM
If we somehow managed to draft two surefire stud DT's then we'd be a force in the AFC...especially of Moore, Carter and Irving step it up.

barryr
04-11-2012, 06:21 AM
#25 is a good pick for a team that is targeting a player they really like and one that probably wasn't figured to be there. I don't know if there is such a player for the Broncos other than maybe Cox or CB's like Kirkpatrick or Gilmore. There may be such a player another team really wants though that drops.

If the Broncos stay at #25, the only DT worth taking there is Reyes IMO. But as I have stated many times, if the Broncos really go with BPA though, it will be a RB, WR, OL, or maybe LB at that spot.

cmhargrove
04-11-2012, 07:31 AM
I think that there will undoubtedly be 2-3 players available at pick #25 that could instantly be starters for our team. Take one and be happy.

If anything, I would be all for trading next year's second rounder to get back into the bottom of the second IF we can find a starter there. Let's say, we can find a starting WR, OG, DT, LB, or RB there. If we can find starters this year, let's gather the best team we can around Manning and make a real run at this thing.

v2micca
04-11-2012, 07:37 AM
As others have mentioned, I just feel there is going to be too much value defensively at the number 25 pick for us to trade back. And its not like we are in St. Louis's situation. No one is going be me making us a crazy offer for our pick.

Rabb
04-11-2012, 07:48 AM
the meltdown when we stay at 25 and don't draft a DT is going to be a lot of fun

BroncoInferno
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Unless Kirkpatrick or Cox falls in our laps, I'd like for us to trade down from #25 because I don't think the value is great there. I think we can move down 8-10 spots and get a similar player. Of course, the problem is you need a team willing to move into your spot. I'm not sure other teams will see the value in moving up there. Our best shot will be for Osweiler to gain enough traction that someone like Miami (if they don't get Tannehill) gets desperate.

v2micca
04-11-2012, 07:55 AM
the meltdown when we stay at 25 and don't draft a DT is going to be a lot of fun

It is every year.

bronco militia
04-11-2012, 08:01 AM
move up for ****s sakes.....we don't need any more back up safeties, TE's and LB's

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 08:15 AM
I would trade down if it would net value. Not a second and sixth, but a second and third. That's also if Cox, Poe, and Brockers are gone.

I would take Thompson with one of those seconds and Martin with the early third.

So I would rather have..
2. Name here
2. Thompson DT
3. Martin DT
3. Name here
Or even have to take Thompson and Martin with both second round picks

Then..
1. Worthy DT
2. Thompson DT
3. Name here

DENVERDUI55
04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Trade back only works when you have a buyer that wants your spot. I just don't see anyone giving us a great deal at #25.

BroncoBen
04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
in all fairness to the QBs that Peyton had behind him who were drafted, were any of them ever high picks? most were late draft picks. if EFX draft a QB high, it is because that pick is expected to learn for the next 3 years and then take over for Peyton, not to be a permanent backup.

That is my thinking, seems that Brock Osweiler is a 2-3 year project. Hasn't he only started like 15 games in college ? What intrigues the Broncos is his size and arm strength. Manning is only going to be playing maybe 3-4 years, it would be nice to have a QB ready to step in.

So you figure, the Broncos trade back... pick up Osweiler and still draft a DT with their 2nd round pick and have an extra 3rd round pick to draft yet another DT or BAP (best available player).

So unless a player falls on the draft board to the Broncos, trade back.

houghtam
04-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Trade down trade down trade down

Props to Cutthemdown for saying what I say ever year. This isn't Madden where you just plug in whatever picks you want to get rid of and the computer comes in and offers you the best possible trade to trade down.

LGM
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Props to Cutthemdown for saying what I say ever year. This isn't Madden where you just plug in whatever picks you want to get rid of and the computer comes in and offers you the best possible trade to trade down.

If you didn't play Madden on Rookie, this wouldn't happen.

I'm in favor of trading down, depending on who is still available, and what we pick up.

And I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater if we do trade down and grab Oswiler with our first selection. There is a ton of depth at DT, and there's still the cut down during preseason.

houghtam
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
If you didn't play Madden on Rookie, this wouldn't happen.

I'm in favor of trading down, depending on who is still available, and what we pick up.

And I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater if we do trade down and grab Oswiler with our first selection. There is a ton of depth at DT, and there's still the cut down during preseason.

I haven't played Madden since 05. My point still stands. Trading down isn't that easy, especially in a deep draft. Teams that are lucky enough to find a trading partner are going to get raked over the coals.

LGM
04-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I haven't played Madden since 05. My point still stands. Trading down isn't that easy, especially in a deep draft. Teams that are lucky enough to find a trading partner are going to get raked over the coals.

Um, usually a team that wants to trade down is approached by a team wanting to trade up. That's kind of how it works.

And there's a value chart for trading picks; if it's not close in value, then you ditch the trade.

There are just as many teams wanting to trade up (and pay for it) as there are teams wanting to trade down. It all depends on who approaches who.

houghtam
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Um, usually a team that wants to trade down is approached by a team wanting to trade up. That's kind of how it works.

And there's a value chart for trading picks; if it's not close in value, then you ditch the trade.

There are just as many teams wanting to trade up (and pay for it) as there are teams wanting to trade down. It all depends on who approaches who.

Exactly. You proved my point.

So the "trade down" mantra is all based on hoping that someone will be there to trade down with and they'll approach us? Got it.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but the value chart is not an official chart for the NFL. Every team has different value for picks. What might be considered value for one team might not for another. The chart you're referring to isn't something every team has posted in its war room and if they get an offer that goes by that value chart (of course it would, because every team uses it, right?) then they take it.

LGM
04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Exactly. You proved my point.

So the "trade down" mantra is all based on hoping that someone will be there to trade down with and they'll approach us? Got it.

Also, I hate to burst your bubble, but the value chart is not an official chart for the NFL. Every team has different value for picks. What might be considered value for one team might not for another. The chart you're referring to isn't something every team has posted in its war room and if they get an offer that goes by that value chart (of course it would, because every team uses it, right?) then they take it.

Your welcome. Because I never disagreed with you in the first place. And yeah, someone has to want to trade up.

I'm finding it hard to understand your disagreement with this statement.

And I hate to burst your bubble, but I never said it was a league-wide chart. I'm fully aware that teams value trades differently, that's why I said it like that.

I'm finding it difficult to understand your disagreement with my agreement of your original assesment.

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Both of you need to take a look at the insider information thread. OrangeEmpire is saying that Denver has a second round player on the radar, he's not a RB and not a defensive player, and they have a trading partner and all lined up.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Trade back only works when you have a buyer that wants your spot. I just don't see anyone giving us a great deal at #25.

Exactly. You can't just trade down without a demand. If we see no value what do other teams see? The only way a team would trade up to 25 is if Tannehill is somehow miraculously still on the board.

peacepipe
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
I could see denver trading down to get a 1st next yr,so to have leverage to trade up in next yrs draft for a QB.

Chris
04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I could see denver trading down to get a 1st next yr,so to have leverage to trade up in next yrs draft for a QB.

handicap our 2012 draft to pick up a QB next year we don't need because we're in win now mode?

well, seems like an idea.

LGM
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
handicap our 2012 draft to pick up a QB next year we don't need because we're in win now mode?

well, seems like an idea.

Context. it all depends on how the rest of the draft falls, and what we get for the trade down.

I'm not willing to call it a dud because the first pick wasn't a position of need.

peacepipe
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM

well, seems like an idea.I'm not an advocate for that approach,I am merely saying if they were to trade down a few spots,maybe within the 1st couple picks in the 2nd it wouldn't be a big handicap.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
I think Weeden could be a possible trade down at 25 possibility.

We have needed DT's forever and everyone's expecting this is the year and comes away disappointed. I say NEVER assume we take a DT high until we actually do. I'm not the best fan draft expert here but, to me DT CB might be only positions worth using 25th pick on unless some other guy falls draft day. Not seeing Denver's draft board it might not be how we'd have ours.

I highly doubt even a huge a need DT spot is Poe Worthy or Still are all on our wishlist

cmhargrove
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
I think Weeden could be a possible trade down at 25 possibility.

We have needed DT's forever and everyone's expecting this is the year and comes away disappointed. I say NEVER assume we take a DT high until we actually do. I'm not the best fan draft expert here but, to me DT CB might be only positions worth using 25th pick on unless some other guy falls draft day. Not seeing Denver's draft board it might not be how we'd have ours.

I'm an Oklahoma State fan and I love Weeden, but if we draft him any higher than the fourth round (he won't last that long), I will start chugging vodka and pulling my leg hairs...

He would be the worst option unless we are planning for Manning to fail. We need starters now! The first 3-4 rounds need to be guys that at least contribute immediately as rotational players or ST. No 2-3 year backups, especially on the oldest guy in the draft.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm an Oklahoma State fan and I love Weeden, but if we draft him any higher than the fourth round (he won't last that long), I will start chugging vodka and pulling my leg hairs...

He would be the worst option unless we are planning for Manning to fail. We need starters now! The first 3-4 rounds need to be guys that at least contribute immediately as rotational players or ST. No 2-3 year backups, especially on the oldest guy in the draft.

I don't want Weeden or any QB before 3rd round. I just think Weeden might entice some team out of fear to jump teams move to 25. QB's are highly overvalued in the draft.

razorwire77
04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Trading back could make sense. 25 is the perfect position for QB starved team to trade up and reach for Tannehill if he drops or Brandon Weeden. There are quite a few talented players that could be available between 33 and 43. Worthy, Janoris Jenkins, pretty much any RB not named Trent Richardson, Mark Barron (although I think we're pretty set at SS), the big DT from Washington. A trade back with Cleveland would be ideal.
37, 57, 67, 87, 108 and 120 could fill a lot of holes.

That One Guy
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't want Weeden or any QB before 3rd round. I just think Weeden might entice some team out of fear to jump teams move to 25. QB's are highly overvalued in the draft.

Weeden is the older guy, right?

Seems his value is in him starting earlier rather than being a developmental project. I wouldn't see him fitting the Broncos scheme at all.

BroncoMan4ever
04-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Steve Atwater and Trevor Pryce were late 1st round picks.

Why people on this board are in love with hoarding later round draft picks is beyond me.

Marcus Nash, Middlebrooks, Lelie, Foster, were also late round 1 picks,

lonestar
04-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Both of you need to take a look at the insider information thread. OrangeEmpire is saying that Denver has a second round player on the radar, he's not a RB and not a defensive player, and they have a trading partner and all lined up.

insider info, wow..

if you beleive any of that crap I have ocean front land for sale here in El Paso.. Send me a PM and we can work out the details..

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 12:55 PM
insider info, wow..

if you beleive any of that crap I have ocean front land for sale here in El Paso.. Send me a PM and we can work out the details..

You can't possibly think I was being serious..

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Lets say Tannahill is there at 25 and a team like the phins are offering this years 2 3 and next years 2. Would you trade down then?

gyldenlove
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
We are in somewhat of a fortunate position in that we don't have to trade anywhere, so we can try to look for a good enough offer to make it worth our while, but if that offer isn't there we can go with plan A.

Only in a situation like the Rams would I ever chase a trade down, where you can get substantial value from the trade and put yourself in a position to get the player you wanted all along anyway.

lonestar
04-11-2012, 01:05 PM

I suspect you need to clarify what late round is..

foster #20
ashley #19
middlebroke 24
nash 30 the last one is late the others well plenty of talent taken after them that could have started for us..

in fact here is picks 31 on after nash..
32 Indianapolis Colts Jerome Pathon WR Washington
33 Arizona Cardinals Corey Chavous CB Vanderbilt
34 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Jacquez Green WR Florida
35 Chicago Bears Tony Parrish FS Washington
36 Arizona Cardinals Anthony Clement T Louisiana-Lafayette
37 St. Louis Rams Robert Holcombe RB Illinois
38 Dallas Cowboys Flozell Adams G Michigan State
39 Buffalo Bills Sam Cowart ILB Florida State
40 New Orleans Saints Cameron Cleeland TE Washington
41 Pittsburgh Steelers Jeremy Staat DE Arizona State
42 Baltimore Ravens Pat Johnson WR Oregon
43 Cincinnati Bengals Artrell Hawkins CB Cincinnati
44 Miami Dolphins Patrick Surtain DB Southern Mississippi
45 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Kelly DB USC
46 Tennessee Oilers Samari Rolle CB Florida State
47 Seattle Seahawks Todd Weiner T Kansas State
48 Washington Redskins Stephen Alexander TE Oklahoma
49 Miami Dolphins Kenny Mixon DE Louisiana State
50 Detroit Lions Germane Crowell WR Virginia
51 Minnesota Vikings Kailee Wong LB Stanford
52 New England Patriots Tony Simmons WR Wisconsin
53 Atlanta Falcons Bob Hallen C Kent State
54 New England Patriots Rod Rutledge TE Alabama
55 New York Giants Joe Jurevicius WR Penn State
56 New York Jets Dorian Boose DE Washington State
57 Jacksonville Jaguars Cordell Taylor CB Hampton
58 San Francisco 49ers Jeremy Newberry C California
59 San Diego Chargers Mikhael Ricks WR Stephen F. Austin St.
60 Detroit Lions Charlie Batch QB Eastern Michigan
61 Denver Broncos Eric Brown SS Mississippi State

see anyone there we could have had?

how about after middlebroke..

24 Denver Broncos Willie Middlebrooks CB Minnesota
25 Philadelphia Eagles Freddie Mitchell WR UCLA
26 Miami Dolphins Jamar Fletcher DB Wisconsin
27 Minnesota Vikings Michael Bennett RB Wisconsin
28 Oakland Raiders Derrick Gibson DB Florida State
29 St. Louis Rams Ryan Pickett DT Ohio State
30 Indianapolis Colts Reggie Wayne WR Miami (Fla.)
31 Baltimore Ravens Todd Heap TE Arizona State
2001 - Round 2
SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
32 San Diego Chargers Drew Brees QB Purdue
33 Cleveland Browns Quincy Morgan WR Kansas State
34 Arizona Cardinals Kyle Vanden Bosch DE Nebraska
35 Atlanta Falcons Alge Crumpler TE North Carolina
36 Cincinnati Bengals Chad Johnson WR Oregon State
37 Indianapolis Colts Idrees Bashir FS Memphis
38 Chicago Bears Anthony Thomas RB Michigan
39 Pittsburgh Steelers Kendrell Bell ILB Georgia
40 Seattle Seahawks Ken Lucas CB Mississippi
41 Green Bay Packers Robert Ferguson WR Texas A&M
42 St. Louis Rams Tommy Polley OLB Florida State
43 Jacksonville Jaguars Maurice Williams T Michigan
44 Carolina Panthers Kris Jenkins DT Maryland
45 Washington Redskins Fred Smoot CB Mississippi State
46 Buffalo Bills Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian

or after this flake.

19 Denver Broncos Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
20 Green Bay Packers Javon Walker WR Florida State
21 New England Patriots Daniel Graham TE Colorado
22 New York Jets Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham
23 Oakland Raiders Napoleon Harris MLB Northwestern
24 Baltimore Ravens Ed Reed SS Miami (Fla.)
25 New Orleans Saints Charles Grant DE Georgia
26 Philadelphia Eagles Lito Sheppard CB Florida
27 San Francisco 49ers Mike Rumph DB Miami (Fla.)
28 Seattle Seahawks Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
29 Chicago Bears Marc Colombo T Boston College
30 Pittsburgh Steelers Kendall Simmons G Auburn
31 St. Louis Rams Robert Thomas OLB UCLA
32 Washington Redskins Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane
2002 - Round 2
SEL # TEAM PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
33 Houston Texans Jabar Gaffney WR Florida
34 Carolina Panthers DeShaun Foster RB UCLA
35 Detroit Lions Kalimba Edwards DE South Carolina
36 Buffalo Bills Josh Reed WR Louisiana State
37 Dallas Cowboys Andre Gurode G Colorado
38 Minnesota Vikings Raonall Smith LB Washington State
39 San Diego Chargers Toniu Fonoti G Nebraska
40 Jacksonville Jaguars Mike Pearson T Florida
41 Cincinnati Bengals Lamont Thompson DB Washington State
42 Indianapolis Colts Larry Tripplett DT Washington
43 Kansas City Chiefs Eddie Freeman DT Alabama-Birmingham
44 New Orleans Saints LeCharles Bentley G Ohio State
45 Tennessee Titans Tank Williams SS Stanford
46 New York Giants Tim Carter WR Auburn
47 Cleveland Browns Andre Davis WR Virginia Tech
48 San Diego Chargers Reche Caldwell WR Florida
49 Arizona Cardinals Levar Fisher LB North Carolina State
50 Houston Texans Chester Pitts T San Diego State
51 Denver Broncos Clinton Portis RB Miami (Fla.)
52 Baltimore Ravens Anthony Weaver DE Notre Dame
53 Oakland Raiders Langston Walker T California
54 Seattle Seahawks Maurice Morris RB Oregon
55 Oakland Raiders Doug Jolley TE Brigham Young
56 Washington Redskins Ladell Betts RB Iowa

lots of folks through the years that are pro bowlers selected after our lame picks..

pricejj
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM
#25 is a good pick for a team that is targeting a player they really like and one that probably wasn't figured to be there. I don't know if there is such a player for the Broncos other than maybe Cox or CB's like Kirkpatrick or Gilmore. There may be such a player another team really wants though that drops.

If the Broncos stay at #25, the only DT worth taking there is Reyes IMO. But as I have stated many times, if the Broncos really go with BPA though, it will be a RB, WR, OL, or maybe LB at that spot.

Yes. There are plenty of guys (other than DT) that are worthy of picking at #25, who might be there. I would be happy with any of these guys:

1. C - Pete Konz
2. OT - Mike Adams
3. WR - Kendall Wright, Stephen Hill, Mohamed Sanu, Rueben Randle
4. MLB - Dont'a Hightower
5. DE - Upshaw, Perry, Branch

broncosteven
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Those guys were all taken very close to where we are picking, I am cool with Denver trading back (provided we have a trade partner) to stock pile more picks in the 3-5 range where we are likely to find the best rotational guys.

broncosteven
04-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Weeden is the older guy, right?

Seems his value is in him starting earlier rather than being a developmental project. I wouldn't see him fitting the Broncos scheme at all.

He is closer to 30 than 20, not something you expect in a rookie.

LGM
04-11-2012, 01:11 PM
We are in somewhat of a fortunate position in that we don't have to trade anywhere, so we can try to look for a good enough offer to make it worth our while, but if that offer isn't there we can go with plan A.

Haven't you heard? There is ONLY plan A.

lonestar
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
You can't possibly think I was being serious..

with all your other lame assed posts, yes I expected a PM by now..

you have had your panties in a wad since almost day one..

when it comes to the draft we have never been able to predict who was or not going to be drafted..

Only a few WAGs have been correct.. out of thousands of "insider" type comments..

The only thing I know for myself IF we pass on yet another couple of DT's in the draft. I will be pissed just like I have been since mikeys regime..

If you go back and look at our history you will see they have never drafted a true DT #1..

and please do not say Pryce was drafted as a DT since in college he played mainly LB until his senior season when they moved him to hand down DE. the only reason he got moved to DT was because we had no one else to play the spot and that was several years into his career..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team

27atwater
04-11-2012, 01:16 PM
You don't try to trade back, but you also don't ignore anyone who calls for our pick.

If the Rams, who just acumulated a butt load of picks, call us offering picks 33 and 39 or 33 and 65 to move up to the 25 spot, I'm all over that. If EFX want a DT at 25, we could possibly still land a Worthy or Reyes at 33. If we need a RB, Martin, Wilson and Miller could all be there as well. These are some of the same names we'll likley consider at 25. We could possibly get the same, or a similar, player and add another 2 or 3 for our troubles. Sign me up.

lonestar
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Lets say Tannahill is there at 25 and a team like the phins are offering this years 2 3 and next years 2. Would you trade down then?

in a heart beat since they are picking low this year and most likely next year..

BUt we all know that he will be gone in the top ten.. so why get excited about the prospect.

lonestar
04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
He is closer to 30 than 20, not something you expect in a rookie.

IIRC he will be 29 during the season this coming year..

that is a lot closer to 30 than 20..

Lestat
04-11-2012, 02:04 PM
what we really need is for some team to fall in love with a QB and a RB.
if some team grows to love Weeden,Osweiler,Hill,Wilson,Miller,Konz or etc and they're there then it's likely that a team will cough up some picks to move up.

the question is though, how likely is it that Denver is the team that moves up instead of moves back if the draft starts falling a certain way and a top rated guy is falling into the picture.

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 02:05 PM
with all your other lame assed posts, yes I expected a PM by now..

you have had your panties in a wad since almost day one..

when it comes to the draft we have never been able to predict who was or not going to be drafted..

Only a few WAGs have been correct.. out of thousands of "insider" type comments..

The only thing I know for myself IF we pass on yet another couple of DT's in the draft. I will be pissed just like I have been since mikeys regime..

If you go back and look at our history you will see they have never drafted a true DT #1..

and please do not say Pryce was drafted as a DT since in college he played mainly LB until his senior season when they moved him to hand down DE. the only reason he got moved to DT was because we had no one else to play the spot and that was several years into his career..

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=1400&type=team

If you read earlier in the thread, I asked does this guy make these crazy predictions often?

I don't want them to skip over DT, as I prefer two to be drafted.. But not if they were reaching especially @25...

That One Guy
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
what we really need is for some team to fall in love with a QB and a RB.
if some team grows to love Weeden,Osweiler,Hill,Wilson,Miller,Konz or etc and they're there then it's likely that a team will cough up some picks to move up.

the question is though, how likely is it that Denver is the team that moves up instead of moves back if the draft starts falling a certain way and a top rated guy is falling into the picture.

Never underestimate the power of a team to reach when they're just "one more player" away. Last year's team, I wouldn't worry about trading up. This year... it's definitely possible.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Never underestimate the power of a team to reach when they're just "one more player" away. Last year's team, I wouldn't worry about trading up. This year... it's definitely possible.

I could see that happening. But to where, for how much, and for who?

HAT
04-11-2012, 05:55 PM

If one of the top 4 WR's is on the board...i can definitely see the Colts or another WR needy team wanting to jump Houston. Colts could come up for Fleener too if they feel SF is targeting him.

I would love trading back to 34 with the Colts and picking up the first pick in the 4th if Cox et al are gone at 25. Take Reyes or Thompson at 34 and use some combo of our original third and the 3 fourths to come back into the mid 2nd.

3 picks between 34 & 57 would be just what the doctor ordered for this team.

OrangeSe7en
04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
You have to have a partner and also, you can be too cute when trading down.

DENVERDUI55
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
3 picks between 34 & 57 would be just what the doctor ordered for this team.

That would be great. I think if we stay at 25 BPA should be the call. Konz, Hightower, etc if they are there then Thompson or Taamu in 2nd. Martin or Billy Winn are intriguing too.

Requiem
04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
There was an article somewhere stating that most NFL evaluators believed that this draft would have a higher bust rate than in years past. I agree with them, because I really don't think that there are that many first round players. I don't see a lot of people confident in this year's class.

You never know who is going to be at #25. Denver will not make a trade with their first rounder until they are OTC and have a true evaluation of their board. (JMHO) It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see a team move up into that area and try to get someone they didn't think they'd have a chance at because they were so low.

The question is -- how low can Denver afford to go and what do they really get?

I wouldn't go lower than #40 unless they got a damn good offer.

Would they even consider trading out completely and getting a 2013 first rounder in return?

WE WILL SEE. WE WILL GO CRAZY. SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM WILL USE A WARRANTY TO REPLACE A TV!

Lestat
04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Cox,DeCastro,Coples,Martin & Kirkpatrick could be targets if we move up.
they all fit a need. but the draft board isn't likely set quite yet so who knows.
but if we land Cox or Coples in the draft Elway deserves a damn gold medal.
I could see that happening. But to where, for how much, and for who?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Cox,DeCastro,Coples,Martin & Kirkpatrick could be targets if we move up.
they all fit a need. but the draft board isn't likely set quite yet so who knows.
but if we land Cox or Coples in the draft Elway deserves a damn gold medal.

Armed with an extra 4th we could move up maybe 4-5 spots. If Cox or DeCastro fall to 20 I'd trip over myself to make that trade.

cutthemdown
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
DeCastro would be huge for Denver. The interior oline not very good right now. With Kuper hurt its downright crappy.

Bmore Manning
04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Personally I think there is great value in the second round. Ideally I would like to trade down, and hope Barron falls to 25, and target two second round picks from either Philly, NE, or STL..

I'm sure it won't happen, but three picks in the second round could really net some quality impact players.

OrangeSe7en
04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Haven't you heard? There is ONLY plan A.

Are you referring to Elway's comment at that press conference where they introduced Manning? I wouldnt be surprised if he just said that because the question he was being asked was kind of hard to follow as it was all over the place.

peacepipe
04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Lets say Tannahill is there at 25 and a team like the phins are offering this years 2 3 and next years 2. Would you trade down then?It would have to be next yrs 1st.

cmhargrove
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Trading back could make sense. 25 is the perfect position for QB starved team to trade up and reach for Tannehill if he drops or Brandon Weeden. There are quite a few talented players that could be available between 33 and 43. Worthy, Janoris Jenkins, pretty much any RB not named Trent Richardson, Mark Barron (although I think we're pretty set at SS), the big DT from Washington. A trade back with Cleveland would be ideal.
37, 57, 67, 87, 108 and 120 could fill a lot of holes.

It's going to be a pretty big surprise if Tannehill drops out of the top 10. The hype train always hits this last month of the draft, and young QB's with a possible upside are generally the fastest risers. The general consensus at this point is that Tannnehill goes #8 to the Dolphins.

However, someone could definitely drop, creating the good trade situation you mentioned. My dark horse candidate could very well be Janoris Jenkins. He has a boatload of talent, so he could likely be gone in the first round, but teams aren't going to take a chance on him early in round 1.

I could also see the possibility of Trent Richardson dropping out of the top 10 (not likely, but very possible like Ingram last year). Even if he makes it out of the top 10, it's hard to see him fall all the way to 25, but last year Ingram lasted until 28.

peacepipe
04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
The more I think about it the more I think we should trade back. there is not much differance in value from the #25-35th pick.

BroncoBen
04-13-2012, 06:40 PM
The more I think about it the more I think we should trade back. there is not much difference in value from the #25 & 31,32-35th pick.

I'm telling ya.. the Broncos should move back. That whole range 25-35 is very workable, there are bunch of DTs that are similar, same goes for running backs. Then with the extra pick you can still pick the other position you passed on earlier.

I do think if the WR from Baylor is still on the board at 25; Kendell Wright, then the Broncos should grab him. Imagine Wright catching passes from Manning.. Wright in the open field catching in stride.. wow! Go Broncos !

OrangeSe7en
04-13-2012, 07:26 PM
The more I think about it the more I think we should trade back. there is not much differance in value from the #25-35th pick.

That's a reason not to do it just as much as it's a reason to do it.