PDA

View Full Version : OT- NEW COMPUTER HELP

phibacka31
04-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I am in the market for a new computer and really don't know what to look for, what my options are, etc. I'm a little illiterate when it comes to them. Ideally I would want my computer to do all the normal things plus a good piece of equipment that is good for DJing and possibly down the line recording originals...

HELP>>>>>

Requiem
04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I am in the market for a new computer and really don't know what to look for, what my options are, etc. I'm a little illiterate when it comes to them. Ideally I would want my computer to do all the normal things plus a good piece of equipment that is good for DJing and possibly down the line recording originals...

HELP>>>>>

How much can you afford?

Dr. Broncenstein
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
RadioShack Tandy 3000.

Archer81
04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
My next laptop is going to be a sony vaio. No more netbooks. Ever again.

:Broncos:

hades
04-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Go to Newegg.com and search there for one that is already built. They always seem to have good deals and good systems.

Ratboy
04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Coworker is constantly making beats with his Mac.

DBroncos4life
04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

I just got the Asus transformer prime. I like the tablet with the docking station concept.

That One Guy
04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
My wife has a 3 year old pink Acer mini computer thingies and it sucks.

I wouldn't recommend it if you come across one.

Broncosfreak_56
04-10-2012, 11:36 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

snowspot66
04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Unless you need an extremely powerful high end laptop (99% of the population doesn't) Go to your local Office Depot (or other similar store, I just have experience with Office Depot) and see what laptops they have. Find reviews online for the various models they carry, pick a good one, and then wait for it to go on sale. They go on sale quite often as the manufacturers control the sales pricing and they rotate it in and out every week. When on a good sale you won't find them cheaper anywhere else because the store is actually losing money selling it at the sales price. Even the regular price is barely above break even. There is absolutely no profit margin on big purchase electronics in stores like that and you get the benefit of that.

Buying it in store has another benefit and that is if it fails you have a two week return window. If it's going to fail because of manufacturer defect it's most likely going to be within those first few weeks. It's never fun to be fighting an online retailer about a return. After that you have the warranty same as always.

snowspot66
04-10-2012, 11:50 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

That's a real nice system for a good price. Going to want to replace the power supply immediately though. I wouldn't trust a 480w to be up to the task.

BroncoMan4ever
04-11-2012, 12:08 AM

every person i know who has bought a vaio has wanted to flip that thing out a window within a month of getting it. i have never met a single person who has one who thinks it is a great machine.

Drunk Monkey
04-11-2012, 06:16 AM
every person i know who has bought a vaio has wanted to flip that thing out a window within a month of getting it. i have never met a single person who has one who thinks it is a great machine.

You can put my name on thay list. It was a while ago (5 plus years) but my VAIO always felt cheap built and had issues.

ColoradoDarin
04-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Costco.com - Just bought an Ibuypower desktop from there. Old computer (built in 2005) finally got too slow for me to Frankenstein more time out of. This is the first computer that I've ever just bought and not built for myself.

Navy Broncos Fan
04-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Costco.com - Just bought an Ibuypower desktop from there. Old computer (built in 2005) finally got too slow for me to Frankenstein more time out of. This is the first computer that I've ever just bought and not built for myself.

I second Ibuypower machines. they are pretty good.

Broncos4tw
04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
If your primary use will be recording music, you should first research what software you plan to use to do the recording. PC and Mac have proprietary software for music.

If you decide on a Mac, can't help you, as I've never used them.

If PC, best bet is to buy the parts and build your own. Or get a tech savvy person to build it for you. It's not terribly difficult though - there are many websites that go over how to build your own PC. The benefit is you can select the exact pieces you need to do what you want to do best. The default sound cards in most PCs are not great. Also, do you need Dolby or anything else? I actually have two sound cards - one for speakers, and another hooked up to a Dolby headphone enabled card (via an Astro Mixamp). So you could always add a second card later if you needed to.

I'd figure out what you want to run on it first, and then decide on the type of computer.

StugotsIII
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM

HELP>>>>>

Macbook Pro if you are DJing...

derp
04-11-2012, 11:32 AM
First of all, are you looking for a desktop or a laptop/netbook?

Archer81
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I just got the Asus transformer prime. I like the tablet with the docking station concept.

I have a dell Inspiron Netbook. Not bad. But I am going to need an actual computer in the next year or so.

maher_tyler
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

HELP>>>>>

http://www.amazon.com/iBuyPower-Gamer-Power-AM522D3-Desktop/dp/B006O5ZJJ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1334166757&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2250WM-LED-21-5-Inch-Widescreen-Integrated/dp/B003HFCDLY/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_3

:sunshine:

maher_tyler
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Mine was fine until my wife spilled a glass of water on it.

Gort
04-11-2012, 12:14 PM
TRS-80
Commodore 64
Altair 8800
Apple ][

you can't go wrong with any of these. but be forewarned, once you buy a computer, it might lead to a life of crime.

http://www.potsc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/bill-gates-mugshot.jpg

DBroncos4life
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I have a dell Inspiron Netbook. Not bad. But I am going to need an actual computer in the next year or so.

Yeah my buddy who is a ITT computer nerd type guy suggests having both. He loves his netbook though and uses that more then his laptop.
There are things about my tablet that I don't like but, I'm living with it. It seems harder to do simple tasks like copy and past or linking youtube videos to this site. I'm used to things because of my smart phone though so that is a plus. The small screen and key board kind of sucks too.

broncosteven
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
What is your budget?

If you don't know anything about PC's base it around what you want to spend.

I would recommend a laptop and at least an Intel i5 CPU with at least 4gig of ram. I like my little HP laptop, it is light enough to carry around, if I need a big screen I use my desktop.

HP has a new laptop model with better audio options, that might be something that you want to check out.

Also if your making beats make sure you have enough USB ports to connect your DJ stuff plus a microphone to. If your doing your beats in the box on software then you can get by without firewire ports but having a good sound card is essential.

If you need a beat tool Cakewalk's Sonar is tits plus they have a bunch of good entry levels. Steinberg just released a bunch of USB controllers for DJ's but they only work with Cubase, Nuendo or Wavelab.

Decide the price, what your going to use it for and make sure you can connect it to what you want to use down the road.

DBroncos4life
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Asus makes really good products you might check them out. I think they are better then Acer and they make good computers as well.

Cosmo
04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Just go to Ibuypower.com or cyberpowerinc.com

broncosteven
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
These days it is hard to find a bad consumer level PC/Laptop though I would stick to a larger maker like Dell, HP, Apple if I were a 1st time buyer just from a support/warranty POV.

I bought my wife a desktop from the Microcenter brand for Christmas. It was an i5 with 4 gig ram, 1TB disk, wireless card with a Windows 7 Pro license and was way cheaper than what I could have built it for. It is a nice system and perfect for what she needs, she should get a good 8 years out of it. It is amazing that 10 years ago you could build a much better PC for hundreds of dollars cheaper. Now you might be able to get close with the hardware cost but the OS cost kills you unless you go Linux.

jhns
04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
These days it is hard to find a bad consumer level PC/Laptop though I would stick to a larger maker like Dell, HP, Apple if I were a 1st time buyer just from a support/warranty POV.

I bought my wife a desktop from the Microcenter brand for Christmas. It was an i5 with 4 gig ram, 1TB disk, wireless card with a Windows 7 Pro license and was way cheaper than what I could have built it for. It is a nice system and perfect for what she needs, she should get a good 8 years out of it. It is amazing that 10 years ago you could build a much better PC for hundreds of dollars cheaper. Now you might be able to get close with the hardware cost but the OS cost kills you unless you go Linux.

Windows 7 cost me the exact same as XP did. If you buiod your own PC, you can get a cheap version of Windows that will only install on one computer, with no tech support from Windows.

broncosteven
04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Windows 7 cost me the exact same as XP did. If you buiod your own PC, you can get a cheap version of Windows that will only install on one computer, with no tech support from Windows.

I said too much already.

Doggcow
04-12-2012, 11:50 PM
You might spend a few more bucks using a prebuilt system or a site like ibuypower, but if you're not totally broke, it's the way to go.

lonestar
04-13-2012, 12:07 AM
FWIW I was a PC guy since my first IBM clone in the very early 80's..

The last PC I bought for my office were Dells.. best price for the machine I needed ..

But then two years ago my son bought me an iMac. blows PC's out the windows..

Now I'm not a power user anymore but this machine has every thing I will ever need again..

If I had to buy another unit it would be in the apple line up, actually I do most of my stuff now on either an iPhone or iPad..

My daughters air book pro when she was in college survived God only knows how many drops from a top bunk.. Still going strong 5 years later..

Apple is worth the extra bucks.. IMO

snowspot66
04-13-2012, 12:23 AM
FWIW I was a PC guy since my first IBM clone in the very early 80's..

The last PC I bought for my office were Dells.. best price for the machine I needed ..

But then two years ago my son bought me an iMac. blows PC's out the windows..

Now I'm not a power user anymore but this machine has every thing I will ever need again..

If I had to buy another unit it would be in the apple line up, actually I do most of my stuff now on either an iPhone or iPad..

My daughters air book pro when she was in college survived God only knows how many drops from a top bunk.. Still going strong 5 years later..

Apple is worth the extra bucks.. IMO

Personally I'd take the large price difference and drop it in some extra RAM and an accident protection warranty.

lonestar
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
Personally I'd take the large price difference and drop it in some extra RAM and an accident protection warranty.

as for memory I have more than I need right now have 18 different windows open. I have a terabyte and a half air space that auto backs up every hour on the hour..

as for warranty, they give you a year almost no questions asked.. The one time I had an issue walked into the nearby Apple store and they fixed it in a heart beat..

I fell into the pool with my iPhone when I took it to ATT they would not do anything for me, walked down the hall in the mall and told me I would have a new phone the next day.. Actually they called me back about 5 hours later drove over they walked me through the back up from my iMac and I was working in minutes..

If I have a question I walk in they their geeks help me out..

You pay a bit more upfront but they take care of you.. or have me, my son, wife, daughter.. all of which have at least one of their devices..

This is coming from a die-hard PC guy, I had over 15 different dos/windows based units in my life time.. Never will go back..

i4jelway7
04-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Check out the Dell studio 1747 laptop
http://tinyurl.com/ceaajaf

Here is the review
http://tinyurl.com/ckmhmvu (http://tinyurl.com/ckmhmvu)