PDA

View Full Version : UnPlugged

rugbythug
04-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I was taking a look at my life the other day and realized since I went to a smart phone I am burning 4-6 hours every day surfing the web at every possible moment. To the point I probably hit the mane 20+ times a day. Really it was kind of shocking how it happened, started slow with an old slow BlackBerry. Wound up with a droid x reading PFT at stoplights. Anyway I have decided to go back in time and canceled my data plan. Switched back to a phone I had in 09.

Has anyone else thought this way? Have you noticed how embedded as a society we have gotten?

BTW sorry Taco, your dividends will suffer-But I will be playing catch with my kids more.

Chris
04-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes... but smart phones have also helped with weather, directions and killing time on the train. I'm not a compulsive user, but I do check the mane somewhat compulsively on my desktop.

I am NOT a smart phone at dinner kind of guy, and anytime I see a friend pulling that **** I give them the pink eye.

Yes... I throw poo in their eyes.

Archer81
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I've cancelled my cellphone. I plan on getting it back at some point this summer...and I have to say that I prefer my EnV3 to an Iphone. I text alot, but have a netbook with me 90% of the time...

:Broncos:

Jason in LA
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
...I will be playing catch with my kids more.

Keep the kids off of smart phones and Ghostbusters and they'll be alright!

Chris
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM

I saw a mom riding a bike with a kid thing in front. Two toddlers sitting in there staring at smart phones oblivious to the bike ride they were on.

rugbythug
04-09-2012, 07:04 PM
I saw a mom riding a bike with a kid thing in front. Two toddlers sitting in there staring at smart phones oblivious to the bike ride they were on.

I have seen similar. Crazy- Like the ad where they are trying to show you how awesome digital copy is by showing the guy watching a movie while playing basketball. Ridiculous

Someday the ability to avoid the internet will be a highly marketable skill.

rugbythug
04-09-2012, 07:05 PM

My son still can't take suspenseful movies. I tried to get him to watch tintin and he hated it.

Ghostbusters at 3 is way to much.

TheReverend
04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
BTW sorry Taco, your dividends will suffer-But I will be playing catch with my kids more.

Pretty sure it won't affect him financially whatsoever.

Archer81
04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I think anyone born before 1990 is lucky. We actually remember what it was like before the internet, videogames, cellphones...

TheReverend
04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I think anyone born before 1990 is lucky. We actually remember what it was like before the internet, videogames, cellphones...

What?

Archer81
04-09-2012, 07:15 PM
What?

Like Playstation, Xbox, Wii. HD modern videogames.

Chris
04-09-2012, 07:16 PM

If you're going to lump video games in there as a "distraction" Chris then please include movies... and while you're at it books ;)

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-09-2012, 07:17 PM

I loved ColecoVision.

Chris
04-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I have seen similar. Crazy- Like the ad where they are trying to show you how awesome digital copy is by showing the guy watching a movie while playing basketball. Ridiculous

Someday the ability to avoid the internet will be a highly marketable skill.

The backlash to the Google Glasses was interesting. I think it drew a line in the sand for some people.

That said, everyone else will pick up and keep going. I try to stay off facebook and I don't do any location based crap.

TheReverend
04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Like Playstation, Xbox, Wii. HD modern videogames.

Which differ from older video games (outside of the modern generation being drastically worse) how?

Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc were all every bit the time sink that modern games are... even more so when you consider this predated gamefaqs.com or any other walkthroughs or guides outside of hints in Nintendo power.

I spent weeks of my youth trying to light bushes on fire in Zelda looking for secrets...

Archer81
04-09-2012, 07:20 PM
If you're going to lump video games in there as a "distraction" Chris then please include movies... and while you're at it books ;)

dammit...foiled again.

PRBronco
04-09-2012, 07:20 PM

I hope you threw poo at them too.

Archer81
04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Which differ from older video games (outside of the modern generation being drastically worse) how?

Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc were all every bit the time sink that modern games are... even more so when you consider this predated gamefaqs.com or any other walkthroughs or guides outside of hints in Nintendo power.

I spent weeks of my youth trying to light bushes on fire in Zelda looking for secrets...

Probably time spent on them. Growing up we had an Atari 2600 and a Nintendo. Maybe got an hour a day with them. The videogame time tripled when we started getting tv's in our own rooms and moved up to SNES, N64 and the PS.

My brothers and I spent a majority of our time outside. My dad hated it when we were inside on nice days.

Chris
04-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I hope you threw poo at them too.

God will poo on them. God will.

I've been playing games since I was 2 when my folks had an IBM and I played mother goose on a floppy. My brother had a commodore 64.

We still spent most of our time running around outside exploring places, launching rockets (my dad loved to do that - was pretty ****ing awesome). From 10-15 I became a serious swimmer and spent most of my free time around the pool. I still played a lot of PC games.

When I'd go to CO in the summer I'd spend most of the day outside then play an hour or two on the NES, later SNES. I'd also watch a **** ton of movies.

The difference is when you were outside the technology didn't follow you.

rbackfactory80
04-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Yep. I remember when I first reached that spot where the trail was separated by a bush I was like "what the hell do I do". So I pulled out my sword, used my bombs, and then decided to throw some fire on it. When it went up in smoke I felt like a genius.

But I started off with the Atari playing games like Asteroids and Jungle Hunt.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I'll probably spend a lot less time on the Mane when I get married/have kids.

But for now I do have quite a bit of down time.

Chris
04-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I'll probably spend a lot less time on the Mane when I get married/have kids.

But for now I do have quite a bit of down time.

To Christina Hendricks

amirite amirite? :wiggle:

TheReverend
04-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Probably time spent on them. Growing up we had an Atari 2600 and a Nintendo. Maybe got an hour a day with them. The videogame time tripled when we started getting tv's in our own rooms and moved up to SNES, N64 and the PS.

My brothers and I spent a majority of our time outside. My dad hated it when we were inside on nice days.

Parents lost that power of control somewhere or are you really saying, "nothing has changed, aside from the mediums of distraction"

Heyneck
04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oHp4k3zwr0s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That One Guy
04-09-2012, 07:51 PM
I remember life before video games and I was born in '86. I recall us buying our first NES. I'm sure we were behind the times but I do know life before them.

As for the rest, I'm a student so I have to think plenty everyday. When I get free time, I ponder the horrible things I would do if I were king of the universe or I gaze at cleavage on display around me. It's my break from school so I want mindlessness and that's the void the smartphone has filled. Now, when I'm on the couch and thinking how long it's been since I played pocketpool, I just take out my phone and escape my own thoughts.

OBF1
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Most people I know with "smart phones" over value their worth to society. No one is important enough to "Need" all the features of a smart phone... Especially when they feel they are so damn important that talking on the phone and texting is a god given right while driving their cars.

Video game consols, smart phones, ipods and tablets and texting are going to be the demise of this generation of kids/young adults. People have forgotten how to communicate with others all the while talking in small bytes with texting and such.

How many kids now a days spend time exercising... ie playing, riding bikes, playing sports and all the cool things we did while growing up???

I had my smart phone for less than a month when I figured out it was a waste of time and a bigger waste of money.

But then again, you can not blame a kid because his/her parents use these devices as parenting tools/baby sitters... It is the parents of these kids that are failing.

Heyneck
04-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Most people I know with "smart phones" over value their worth to society. No one is important enough to "Need" all the features of a smart phone... Especially when they feel they are so damn important that talking on the phone and texting is a god given right while driving their cars.

Video game consols, smart phones, ipods and tablets and texting are going to be the demise of this generation of kids/young adults. People have forgotten how to communicate with others all the while talking in small bytes with texting and such.

How many kids now a days spend time exercising... ie playing, riding bikes, playing sports and all the cool things we did while growing up???

I had my smart phone for less than a month when I figured out it was a waste of time and a bigger waste of money.

But then again, you can not blame a kid because his/her parents use these devices as parenting tools/baby sitters... It is the parents of these kids that are failing.

Completely agree!

broncosteven
04-09-2012, 08:52 PM

I agree, I remember about 7 years ago it was only us IT guys or very high level management who had connectivity. The masses saw it and are willing to pay a high price for it. I can't believe what my friends pay for cell and data it is insane, If it weren't for work footing the bill I wouldn't pay for data.

I am becoming more and more of a Luddite as I get older. I dont know why kids need to be on my lawn, it is my freaking lawn! I learn the new stuff, support it and have fun with it for a time but I like my quiet time. I can wait to check the mane or internet when I am home or on the job, I don't need it at the park or at my kids soccer games or swim lessons.

I still don't understand why people want 99.9% connectivity. I hate it when my cell rings, it is always bad news. My family calls me on the land line. It is nice to kill time in traffic making calls but I don't text while driving.

I would much rather be playing guitar or synth than with a cell phone.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-09-2012, 09:08 PM

I agree also. I'm just glad I got to grow up in the 80s as a kid, before the 90s tech boom. I envy the people who grew up in the 50's and 60's. Seemed so much more genuine back then. No one running home to tweet what they ate for dinner or jumpin online for hours at a time in a trance.

HAT
04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Parents lost that power of control somewhere or are you really saying, "nothing has changed, aside from the mediums of distraction"

Parents should never lose control but I couldn't agree more with the rest of this....

Distractions are distractions and despite what we as any given generation like to think.....Kids have had those distractions since the forever.

As someone who was born in 1971....

I wasted full summers on Atari 2600. You know how many mornings I was late for school playing Donkey Kong and then Dragon's Lair at the grocery store that was on my way to Jr. High?

Rush'n Attack, Excitebike, Mario, crystal castles, 9-ball, Black Knight & Elvira pinball in high school....Morphed into more 9-ball, bowling, cricket, 501, etc....Never kept me off the golf course or in the line-up at Newport....

Then came fantasy football, hold'em, on-line sports wagering, Vegas....

I have zero problem that my 8 year old girl plays plants vs. zombies on her ipad when we are driving to and fro.....

Balance is the key...Not "unplugging".

My Windows phone + evernote + youmail + Gcal + Remember The Milk + Zoho CRM are my current distractions......Only now we call them apps instead of video games.

None of the above will stop me from heading to The Sierras in a month for some camping/fishing/horse-back riding with my kiddo.....Her ipad will be here when we get back.

Unplugged was a TV show on MTV back in the day....Not something to strive for in this day and age.

That One Guy
04-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I agree, I remember about 7 years ago it was only us IT guys or very high level management who had connectivity. The masses saw it and are willing to pay a high price for it. I can't believe what my friends pay for cell and data it is insane, If it weren't for work footing the bill I wouldn't pay for data.

I am becoming more and more of a Luddite as I get older. I dont know why kids need to be on my lawn, it is my freaking lawn! I learn the new stuff, support it and have fun with it for a time but I like my quiet time. I can wait to check the mane or internet when I am home or on the job, I don't need it at the park or at my kids soccer games or swim lessons.

I still don't understand why people want 99.9% connectivity. I hate it when my cell rings, it is always bad news. My family calls me on the land line. It is nice to kill time in traffic making calls but I don't text while driving.

I would much rather be playing guitar or synth than with a cell phone.

Land line? ??? People still have those things? Talk about a waste.

Drek
04-10-2012, 04:19 AM
You know what else is great to unchain yourself from? Cable/DirecTV/Dish. I spent a couple of years with only an antenna that picked up all the locals, found I didn't miss TV that much. Now I have cable back simply because it was damn near free with the internet package I wanted but I only use it to DVR the handful of shows I watch.

When/if I ever have kids I'll cancel the cable the day they're born.

Miss I.
04-10-2012, 04:49 AM
You know what else is great to unchain yourself from? Cable/DirecTV/Dish. I spent a couple of years with only an antenna that picked up all the locals, found I didn't miss TV that much. Now I have cable back simply because it was damn near free with the internet package I wanted but I only use it to DVR the handful of shows I watch.

When/if I ever have kids I'll cancel the cable the day they're born.

Yes and then your wife will kill you. Geezus.

Drama queens. Soon you are going to take away my damned electricity and my indoor plumbing.

MODERATION in all things. There is nothing wrong intrinsically with being plugged in. However, like eating, drinking, smoking crack (oh wait that one is always wrong), sex (don't say it, sex can be bad and unhealthy too..shh) and other things it requires moderation people. I played video games (granted it was an Atari and Colecovision and Commodore), but I also played Soccer, basketball, volleyball, ran track, and even did ballet.

Getting rid of the TV, cable, etc won't actually fix anything. Teaching kids to moderate it might help, but one cannot turn back time (no matter how many pop songs are sung about it). As a female I wouldn't want to anyway, going back in time means I get paid less, can't vote and have to make sammiches for my man (oh wait, I still have to do that...damn it).

I like my Ipad, but I am not married to it. I recognize as an adult I've become too technology dependent and that's my failure or choice. But I like being able to pay bills on line. I like shopping for **** on the internet that I can't get in England. I like being able to share pictures of things going on in England on Facebook so my family can see me. These are good things. I like being able to post stupid stuff on OM and read some of the posts. I've learned a lot about football on here and also laugh a helluva lot. Though I am pretty sure my spelling and cursing have worsened.

I do miss letter writing. My grandpa used to type me letters on a typewriter (for you youngins that was a device that came before computers) and mail me letters. He emailed me later and I loved those too, but I loved the notes from him and my grandma's handwritten note on his letter to me. (damn it, now I am going to cry..****...see the cursing..)

Take the good and the bad. I heart the internet because there are a lot of inappropriate pictures of Eric Decker. I don't like the internet because Bob is here, but eh, good and bad and I get a lot of junk email (easier to delete though then the paper stuff).

Now I must go back to checking my Ipad, Blackberry, my Facebook, my email, my Youtube account for the latest funny cat video.

Meck77
04-10-2012, 05:05 AM
MODERATION in all things.

You are wise beyond your years young grasshopper. You just described the middle path or middle way of moderation.

Everything we possess that is not necessary for life or happiness becomes a burden, and scarcely a day passes that we do not add to it.

Gort
04-10-2012, 06:24 AM

this.

too much needless clutter in many people's lives these days. TV. smartphones. internet. e-mail. etc.

my advice to everyone... turn it all off one weekend and enjoy the freedom. enjoy the spring weather. read a book. enjoy the peace and quiet.

:)

oh... also, the Chefs suck.

TheReverend
04-10-2012, 06:26 AM
Parents should never lose control but I couldn't agree more with the rest of this....

1. My bad. That reads wrong. That initial part was meant to be phrased as a question intending to say "Since when did parents lose control?"

2. You're old.

Meck77
04-10-2012, 06:30 AM

I think anyone born before 1980 is lucky because...........

I think anyone born before 1960 is lucky because....

I think anyone born before 1945 is lucky because....

The concept of moderation is the same for people in 2012 as it was for those in 1912. Technology has certainly changed but overindulging in whatever it may be has not changed in a thousand + years!

55CrushEm
04-10-2012, 06:31 AM
I agree also. I'm just glad I got to grow up in the 80s as a kid, before the 90s tech boom. I envy the people who grew up in the 50's and 60's. Seemed so much more genuine back then. No one running home to tweet what they ate for dinner or jumpin online for hours at a time in a trance.

Seriously. Twitter and Facebook......in some regards, it is very cool. I just don't understand why people feel the need to type to the world, "Well, just had a great sleep. Got a busy day today. See ya."....or some random **** like that.

WTF?

I created a Facebook account about 3 years ago....it was cool at first. Almost like an online high school reunion. But it wore off on me quickly. Now I've checked my account about 5 times in the last 2 years.

About a year and a half ago.....one of my buddies typed on his own wall, "Hey guys. I just took a dump. I'd love to tell you all about the shape, texture and smell. But I hear life calling."

He hasn't logged back on since. Ha!

TheReverend
04-10-2012, 06:31 AM
I think anyone born before 1980 is lucky because...........

I think anyone born before 1960 is lucky because....

I think anyone born before 1945 is lucky because....

The concept of moderation is the same for people in 2012 as it was for those in 1912. Technology has certainly changed but over indulging in whatever it may be has not changed in a thousand years.

I think anyone born before fire is lucky because

Gort
04-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Seriously. Twitter and Facebook......in some regards, it is very cool. I just don't understand why people feel the need to type to the world, "Well, just had a great sleep. Got a busy day today. See ya."....or some random **** like that.

it's narcissism.

alkemical
04-10-2012, 06:38 AM
I have a smartphone...I use it mostly for productivity. I don't have internet or a computer at the house - so my smartphone is pretty much my communication centre.

I mostly use it for phone calls, emails & txts. I hate surfing the net on the small screen so I don't really use it for "much". My critical points are using the email & contacts for my sales & distribution work.

I laugh though watching all these big apes walk around staring at their hand.

alkemical
04-10-2012, 06:39 AM
it's narcissism.

Totally agreed (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97131).

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120214122038.htm

Cellphone Use Linked to Selfish Behavior

ScienceDaily (Feb. 14, 2012) Though cellphones are usually considered devices that connect people, they may make users less socially minded, finds a recent study from the University of Maryland's Robert H. Smith School of Business.

Taco John
04-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Every bush set on fire. Every mountain and every dungeon wall put to a bomb.

Goobzilla
04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Wait, I thought pinball was going to be the end of society ???

You guys keep me entertained with 24/7 hyperbole, no doubt about that. Gotta rep the everything in moderation (even moderation). I love my smartphone, but I don't even take it to the gym with me, that's my time.

55CrushEm
04-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Wait, I thought pinball was going to be the end of society ???

You guys keep me entertained with 24/7 hyperbole, no doubt about that. Gotta rep the everything in moderation (even moderation). I love my smartphone, but I don't even take it to the gym with me, that's my time.

This. I got a Samsung Galaxy SII when they came out for AT&T last October. It's really nice. It offers me some added convenience.

But my life certainly does NOT revolve around it.

I do like the AllShare software by Samsung (DLNA).....works well with my Samsung Smart TV.

vancejohnson82
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM

you and me both....plus, with a bunch of those games there was no "save" option, so you had to knock it out in one sitting.

ludo21
04-10-2012, 10:10 AM
i dont have cable or dish.

The internet has way to many options for this to be something to pay for these days

vancejohnson82
04-10-2012, 10:20 AM
its actually interesting though how it also changes what we expect from people we are trying to contact....I HATE talking on the phone, especially if I'm watching a movie, outside playing ball, driving or cooking...basically any activity. If I'm not doing anything I will pick up and shoot the ****

However, people expect that since you have a cell you need to pick up or call back in thirty seconds or you are an asshat

my mom actually was ready to call the cops and report me missing because she called at 5pm and didn't get a call back all night. I was in class until 10:30, something she forgot

Chris
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Except for the racism and extreme social pressures for conformity.

Houshyamama
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM

It shows

Requiem
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Every generation before us has realized some technological advancement in media that has changed the way people operated or spent their time. Technology is dynamic and one of the greatest cultural change agents they are. Whether it was the first phone, radio, television or gaming apparatus, people have been hopping on the bandwagon's because people are smart enough to realize a good thing and how it can benefit them.

The only people complaining about the advancement of technology are usually the ones who cannot keep up with it. I feel absolutely blessed to have been in a household fortunate enough to be able to play on a PC in the 80s. I've been a computer kid my whole life and that will never change, and have been able to succeed in school and in my line of work because I offer great skills in that area. I can't imagine growing up differently.

There are obvious downsides that people mentioned, but things like smartphones and the like are the wave of the future. Children growing up in a world where technology dominates the landscape that do not have access to it are going to fall far behind.

I'm hoping to opt out of my Sprint contract or get cancellation sometimes too because I don't need to spend the money I am on my smartphone. I just need a phone to get in contact with people, but the connectivity while on the go is certainly something to admire. There are also a lot of useful applications that can go on those phones that have real world applicability.

rugbythug
04-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Every generation before us has realized some technological advancement in media that has changed the way people operated or spent their time. Technology is dynamic and one of the greatest cultural change agents they are. Whether it was the first phone, radio, television or gaming apparatus, people have been hopping on the bandwagon's because people are smart enough to realize a good thing and how it can benefit them.

The only people complaining about the advancement of technology are usually the ones who cannot keep up with it. I feel absolutely blessed to have been in a household fortunate enough to be able to play on a PC in the 80s. I've been a computer kid my whole life and that will never change, and have been able to succeed in school and in my line of work because I offer great skills in that area. I can't imagine growing up differently.

There are obvious downsides that people mentioned, but things like smartphones and the like are the wave of the future. Children growing up in a world where technology dominates the landscape that do not have access to it are going to fall far behind.

I'm hoping to opt out of my Sprint contract or get cancellation sometimes too because I don't need to spend the money I am on my smartphone. I just need a phone to get in contact with people, but the connectivity while on the go is certainly something to admire. There are also a lot of useful applications that can go on those phones that have real world applicability.
Its a Brave New World

TheReverend
04-11-2012, 07:48 AM
It shows

:(

houghtam
04-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Except for the racism and extreme social pressures for conformity.

LOL that's a perfect example of why I have that guy on ignore.

Yep, there was no "golden age" for the US. 40s and 50s separate but equal, before that depression, before that child labor, before that women can't vote, before that reconstruction, before that slavery. I'm sure I missed some other social injustices there, but trust me...the golden age so far is right now.

Archer81
04-11-2012, 10:55 AM
LOL that's a perfect example of why I have that guy on ignore.

Yep, there was no "golden age" for the US. 40s and 50s separate but equal, before that depression, before that child labor, before that women can't vote, before that reconstruction, before that slavery. I'm sure I missed some other social injustices there, but trust me...the golden age so far is right now.

Jesus God No...

houghtam
04-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Jesus God No...

Sad but true

Archer81
04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Rethinking my earlier posts...I have to say right here right now, there is no other place else I'd rather be.

Even if I do giggle at Back to the Future II. Where are the flying cars? Everything being owned by Japan? Fax machines in every room? Self drying jackets? Hoverboards?

I am severely disappointed. Thanks, childhood.

houghtam
04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Rethinking my earlier posts...I have to say right here right now, there is no other place else I'd rather be.

Even if I do giggle at Back to the Future II. Where are the flying cars? Everything being owned by Japan? Fax machines in every room? Self drying jackets? Hoverboards?

I am severely disappointed. Thanks, childhood.

There was an urban legend back then that Spielberg had actually had real hoverboards designed that they used in the film and then he and George Lucas used them to get around on Skywalker Ranch.

If only.

Houshyamama
04-11-2012, 11:29 AM
:(

I'm just fracking with you :wave:

SureShot
04-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I blame the transistor radio.