PDA

View Full Version : Osweiler as Peyton's backup?

phibacka31
04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Looks like the crew had a private workout with Osweiler. Rest is attached.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/08/broncos-could-be-eyeballing-osweiler-as-peyton-successor/

vancejohnson82
04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
read that too....not a bad idea actually

Rother8
04-09-2012, 11:35 AM
He'd beat the odds I guess if he did well. I read something on nfl.com about 6'6 and above Qb's and they ALL sucked.

Ryan Lindley wouldn't be too bad.

Lycan
04-09-2012, 12:10 PM
QBs nowadays don't really seem to need 3 years to develop, so why not wait a bit?

If Peyton goes down this year, nothing will save us from sucking. So wait a year at least before going after his successor.

Unless we are talking about 5th round or below, then I don't care.

BroncoBen
04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
QBs nowadays don't really seem to need 3 years to develop, so why not wait a bit?

If Peyton goes down this year, nothing will save us from sucking. So wait a year at least before going after his successor.

Unless we are talking about 5th round or below, then I don't care.

I agree... seems the talk is Osweiler may be drafted in the 2nd round. Not too keen on spending a high draft pick on a QB.

If Peyton goes down there is no Plan B... just draft a QB high next year in the draft.

cousinal11
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
I really hope we spend one of our later picks on Dwight Jones (NC - WR) as I have watched a lot of him the last two years and he would be a steal. I think he is projected 5-6 round. A Bronco scout in the North Carolina area was at his private workout a few weeks ago so hopefully they are giving him a solid look.

Peyton's nerve
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I bet he has a long neck chock full of young stem cells.

Crushaholic
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Any QB we draft will be 3rd string. There's no way a rookie beats out Hanie...

Lycan
04-09-2012, 12:52 PM

http://i.imgur.com/dKbio.gif

lol.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Is this for real?

peacepipe
04-09-2012, 01:32 PM
If it wasn't for needing Dlineman,I would be all for oswieler 6' 7" 240 lbs is well worth developing.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Is this for real?

In all fairness, Hanie does have starting experience. He sucked, but he has started.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
In all fairness, Hanie does have starting experience. He sucked, but he has started.

I don't know what's worse, Hanie having his highest rated game against the broncos(79) or him having a 41 rating for the season.

bendog
04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't see EFX going with a rookie unless they're 1-4 and the fans putting up billboards ... or unless he's a first round pick of THEIRS

Crushaholic
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM

And, that was my point. He sucks just enough to not be a threat to Peyton, but has just enough starting experience that Fox would be comfortable putting him in, if needed...

Dedhed
04-09-2012, 02:06 PM
If Peyton goes down there is no Plan B... just draft a QB high next year in the draft.

The problem with this idea is that if Peyton misses a goodly chunk of games this year, there's no way we fork over another $40M in guaranteed money. So if we don't draft anyone this year you're looking at starting a rookie with no experience or Caleb Hanie.

I'm not too keen on either of those ideas.

snowspot66
04-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I'll never understand the desire to have great backup QB's. We're going to suck if we don't have Manning. Who cares who the backup QB is then? I say use the pick on a real position of need instead of a guy who is, in all likelihood, going to be average at best.

bendog
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I'll never understand the desire to have great backup QB's. We're going to suck if we don't have Manning. Who cares who the backup QB is then? I say use the pick on a real position of need instead of a guy who is, in all likelihood, going to be average at best.

Elway missed significant time his last year. Jason Campbell signed with Chi before Manning signed, but I'd rather have had him. Though, Hanie's stats in a Martz debacle offense are probably misleading. I'd like to think Den could go 2-2 if Manning is out for a month.

Dedhed
04-09-2012, 02:17 PM

There's a huge difference between a backup and a developmental QB. Hanie is the former, Aaron Rodgers is the latter.

This thread isn't about Manning's backup it's about what happens after he's gone.

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't see EFX going with a rookie unless they're 1-4 and the fans putting up billboards ... or unless he's a first round pick of THEIRS

They're gonna have to get THEIR guy sooner or later. If they think Osweiler has potential they may as well strike while the iron is hot. Drafting him will require the #25 or trading up in the 2nd though.

snowspot66
04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
There's a huge difference between a backup and a developmental QB. Hanie is the former, Aaron Rodgers is the latter.

This thread isn't about Manning's backup it's about what happens after he's gone.

If they're worried about after Manning before year one of a five year contract then they have their priorities wrong. We need to fix the defense and give Manning more weapons to have a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl before we go worrying about what to do after him. That's been the only option since the minute he signed here.

Blart
04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
good point in the article,

Then again, few if any of Peyton’s understudies in Indy ever amounted to much of anything, with the Colts or anyone else.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I wish we would talk to Pennington. At the very least our WRs wouldn't have much to adjust too. Ha!

Kaylore
04-09-2012, 03:59 PM
He'd beat the odds I guess if he did well. I read something on nfl.com about 6'6 and above Qb's and they ALL sucked.

That has more to do with the fact that most tall QB's happen to suck as well as be tall more than sucking because they were tall. If anything, height is a huge advantage; Fewer batted passes, can see over the line easier, etc.

titan
04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Listening to Mike Klis on 102.3 a few minutes ago. Part of Osweiler's appeal is his age - he's only 21 with room to develop. He is coming out as a true junior (he didn't redshirt). If the Broncos see potential they may be thinking he's the type that could sit a few years, develop behind Peyton, then he'd still be pretty young when Peyton hangs it up.

Bigdawg26
04-09-2012, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't mind getting him in the 3rd round. He seemed pretty good at ASU, and actually having time to grow and watch a perfectest like Manning for 3 years would help him more.

Agamemnon
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Osweiler would be fine, but only in the 3rd or later.

Agamemnon
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't mind getting him in the 3rd round. He seemed pretty good at ASU, and actually having time to grow and watch a perfectest like Manning for 3 years would help him more.

There is absolutely no evidence that young QB's benefit from sitting behind Manning. None.

NFLBRONCO
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM

agreed

Lestat
04-09-2012, 05:09 PM
that's just relative to most if not all of them having a poor skill level.
some guys when you get bigger they become a statue and don't have the instincts to work the pocket and have a bad mechanical set.

often times you see 6-6+ guys with a terrible windup and they throw without touch and most of the time it's line drive and easy to bat down.

Tombstone RJ
04-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I seriously doubt the Broncos draft Osweiler. Just like the Broncos didn't draft a QB in the early rounds last year, they aren't gonna do that this year either. Funny thing is, EFX still scouted QB's last year too.

Smoke screen at best.

Osweiler is typical college spread offense QB with nothing special. Nada.

Dedhed
04-09-2012, 05:36 PM
If they're worried about after Manning before year one of a five year contract then they have their priorities wrong. We need to fix the defense and give Manning more weapons to have a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl before we go worrying about what to do after him. That's been the only option since the minute he signed here.

The problem is that there isn't really a five year contract. It's basically a one year deal right now and the Broncos can opt out if Manning isn't healthy.

Dedhed
04-09-2012, 05:42 PM
There is absolutely no evidence that young QB's benefit from sitting behind Manning. None.

While this is true, I don't see learning behind Manning as the rationale for drafting a developmental guy this year. To me it's a contingency plan if Manning isn't able to stay healthy.

If Manning's head falls off you throw the rookie into the fire and get him some experience heading into next year.

I should also mention that I'm not sure if I'm on board with the idea or not. If Manning is done after week 3, we're going to be a 3-13 team, so we may be better off to just take a pummeling like the Colts just did and enter into the top pick sweepstakes.

enjolras
04-09-2012, 05:53 PM

There is also no evidence as to what happens when John Elway is directly mentoring a QB who ALSO has the luxury of watching Peyton Manning play the game.

Lestat
04-09-2012, 06:27 PM
in fairness though, it was Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter.
both were 6th round picks with no real starter potential.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 06:28 PM

I did a real quick good search and through 2006 there have been 11 QB's 6'6 or higher in NFL history. When you think about the amount of QB's that have been drafted in the history of the game it kind of waters down that fact IMO.

snowspot66
04-09-2012, 07:00 PM
The problem is that there isn't really a five year contract. It's basically a one year deal right now and the Broncos can opt out if Manning isn't healthy.

If he isn't healthy and does only stick for one year we'll have a high draft pick next year we can use to find a guy who might actually be something. It's rare for QB's taken after the first round to succeed. Very rare. If we're going to get a QB lets go after one most likely to be worth it.

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 07:54 PM

I was thinking Osweiler was rated as an early 2nd guy. I see I was wrong, more like late 2nd, so maybe they take a chance on him. I guess like with all draftees they have to gauge how dedicated he is to learn and work.