PDA

View Full Version : DT's and the Dusty Road to Denver: 2012 NFL Draft

pricejj
04-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Fact: There are no remaining UFA's that could legitimately start for the Broncos. Marcus Thomas remains a possibility at UT, but his lack of sack production leaves little doubt that he is not the long term answer. Justin Bannan remains a possibility at NT, but his pedestrian numbers with St. Louis last year, give no confidence that he is capable of making an impact as a starter. RFA Sammie Lee Hill could be an option at NT, but doubts about collusion continue to swirl. No one else is on the radar.

Elway, Fox, and Xanders have given every indication, with their lack of activity in the free-agent market, that taking two DT's with the 1st two picks is a strong possibility. The hodgepodge of journeymen, has-beens, and never-was on the Broncos roster are in need of a major upgrade. This seems to be the perfect draft to do it.

#25 Devon Still (UT) 6'044" 303 lbs. 4.94 forty 7.7 three cone

Still had 55 tackles, 4.5 sacks, and 17 TFL's as a 5th year Senior at Penn State. Why Still and not Worthy? I believe Still's injury concerns, and Worthy's tape/Pro Day have pushed Worthy to be picked by the Steelers @ #24. Cox and Brockers will both be gone. Reyes may be the pick IF both Still and Worthy are gone.

#57 Alameda Ta'amu (NT) 6'024" 348 lbs. 5.37 forty 7.52 three cone

Ta'amu had 30 tackles, 3.5 sacks, and 7 TFL's as a true Senior at Washington. At the Washington Pro Day, Ta'amu ran a 7.52 three cone drill weighing 348 lbs., which is exceptional, proving that he has the athletic ability and size to garner a double team as a 4-3 NT. Ta'amu may not have run the forty as fast as Poe or Thompson, but has better quickness. If both Ta'amu and Thompson are gone @ 57, look for Broncos to go BPA.

I don't agree with the path that EFX has chosen to take, up to this point, in the offseason in regards to the DT position. All things considered, I believe that picking Still @ #25, and Ta'amu @ 57 is the likeliest outcome of the Broncos first two picks in the 2012 draft.

Kaylore
04-09-2012, 11:00 AM
In before thread is deleted!

Garcia Bronco
04-09-2012, 11:04 AM
****...I thought this was about rasslin

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Worthy is not going to be playing NT for the Steelers. Now if they view him as a 5 Tech it's not impossible they take him, but with Cam Heyward from Ohio State drafted last year, and Ziggy Hood at the other DE, they have more pressing needs.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Worthy is not going to be playing NT for the Steelers. Now if they view him as a 5 Tech it's not impossible they take him, but with Cam Heyward from Ohio State drafted last year, and Ziggy Hood at the other DE, they have more pressing needs.

Mike Tomlin was the only Head Coach to attend Worthy's Pro Day, and personally spoke with him, and patted him on the back, after the conclusion of drills. Casey Hampton is shorter than Worthy, and is 325 lbs. Worthy could put on another 10 lbs. no problem, and would be a superb replacement for the aging Hampton (who is coming off an ACL). I would suspect, Tomlin could be thinking the same thing.

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Mike Tomlin was the only Head Coach to attend Worthy's Pro Day, and personally spoke with him, and patted him on the back, after the conclusion of drills. Casey Hampton is shorter than Worthy, and is 325 lbs. Worthy could put on another 10 lbs. no problem, and would be a superb replacement for the aging Hampton (who is coming off an ACL). I would suspect, Tomlin could be thinking the same thing.

And Del Rio went to watch Hightower, that doesn't mean Denver or Pittsburgh is taking either player. Worthy is not a stout run defender to play NT.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
And Del Rio went to watch Hightower, that doesn't mean Denver or Pittsburgh is taking either player. Worthy is not a stout run defender to play NT.

He thinks when they talk to a guy its a lock just like KC and that LSU guy.

Bacchus
04-09-2012, 11:47 AM
#25 Devon Still (UT) 6'044" 303 lbs. 4.94 forty 7.7 three cone

Still had 55 tackles, 4.5 sacks, and 17 TFL's as a 5th year Senior at Penn State. Why Still and not Worthy? I believe Still's injury concerns, and Worthy's tape/Pro Day have pushed Worthy to be picked by the Steelers @ #24. Cox and Brockers will both be gone. Reyes may be the pick IF both Still and Worthy are gone.

#57 Alameda Ta'amu (NT) 6'024" 348 lbs. 4.94 forty 7.52 three cone

Ta'amu had 30 tackles, 3.5 sacks, and 7 TFL's as a true Senior at Washington. At the Washington Pro Day, Ta'amu ran a 7.52 three cone drill weighing 348 lbs., which is exceptional, proving that he has the athletic ability and size to garner a double team as a 4-3 NT. Ta'amu may not have run the forty as fast as Poe or Thompson, but has better quickness. If both Ta'amu and Thompson are gone @ 57, look for Broncos to go BPA.

I don't agree with the path that EFX has chosen to take, up to this point, in the offseason in regards to the DT position. All things considered, I believe that picking Still @ #25, and Ta'amu @ 57 is the likeliest outcome of the Broncos first two picks in the 2012 draft.

I would love that draft.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
He thinks when they talk to a guy its a lock just like KC and that LSU guy.

KC brought Brockers out to dinner after his Pro Day. I never said anything was a lock...but teams don't do that unless they are interested. Please attempt to use some common sense.

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 11:59 AM
KC brought Brockers out to dinner after his Pro Day. I never said anything was a lock...but teams don't do that unless they are interested. Please attempt to use some common sense.

I understand where you are coming from, interest is typically a stronger tell than no interest, and as much as I would love Hightower @25, with Mays resigned and Irving in the midst, Hightower seems unlikely. Worthy is not even a 4-3 NT, yet you think he can play 3-4 NT?

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM

No ****ing **** they get an X number of player interviews. You have spent lord knows how long saying Worthy isn't a first rounder and poof you have him going to the Steelers at 24. What happened to Denver being the only team dumb enough to waste a first rounder on him?

You flip on guys in the draft for us like mad.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Worthy takes on the double-team well, and is effective lining up directly over the Center. His body size, and superior athletic skill would make him an ideal candidate to replace Hampton.

Del Rio went to watch Alabama...not just Hightower. I would certainly hope the Broncos would have sent someone to watch Alabama's Pro Day. Upshaw, Hightower, Barron, Lester, and Chapman, I would suspect, are all on the Broncos radar. But, I have gone over all the scenarios...and Still/Ta'amu are my conclusion.

ColoradoBuff
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Seems like only yesterday, we first drove up that road
Looking back I see it's more like twenty odd years ago
We were young and so in love, with a long, long row to hoe
We came and went and our lives were spent up a long old dusty road to Denver
We came and went and our lives were spent up a long old dusty road to Denver

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Worthy takes on the double-team well, and is effective lining up directly over the Center. His body size, and superior athletic skill would make him an ideal candidate to replace Hampton.

Del Rio went to watch Alabama...not just Hightower. I would certainly hope the Broncos would have sent someone to watch Alabama's Pro Day. Upshaw, Hightower, Barron, Lester, and Chapman, I would suspect, are all on the Broncos radar. But, I have gone over all the scenarios...and Still/Ta'amu are my conclusion.

Price a week ago you agreed Worthy wasn't first round good, now you have Pittsburgh taking him to play NT? I just don't get it bro. I'm not gonna beat you up over it, back to your OP, I would like Still if Cox and Brockers were gone. And Ta Amu if Thompson is gone.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Wow just wow. This Worthy guy sounds like a player. Maybe we should draft him.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 12:13 PM
No ****ing **** they get an X number of player interviews. You have spent lord knows how long saying Worthy isn't a first rounder and poof you have him going to the Steelers at 24. What happened to Denver being the only team dumb enough to waste a first rounder on him?

You flip on guys in the draft for us like mad.

I am not overly excited about Still or Worthy...both have concerns. Like I said, I don't agree with the way the Broncos have approached the DT position this offseason, but the facts and situation remain.

Both Worthy and Still would be an upgrade over Vickerson as the starting UT. The Broncos have weighed their odds on an impact UT being available in the 1st round of the draft. I think the Broncos value Worthy over Still. And I think the Steelers value Worthy over Poe.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I am not overly excited about Still or Worthy...both have concerns. Like I said, I don't agree with the way the Broncos have approached the DT position this offseason, but the facts and situation remain.

Both Worthy and Still would be an upgrade over Vickerson as the starting UT.

I agree but, you have to understand Fox doesn't have a of taking DL guys early. He gets a lot out of scrubs like Shanny does with RBs.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Price a week ago you agreed Worthy wasn't first round good, now you have Pittsburgh taking him to play NT? I just don't get it bro. I'm not gonna beat you up over it, back to your OP, I would like Still if Cox and Brockers were gone. And Ta Amu if Thompson is gone.

I watched Worthy's tape over and over again...

He almost dominated against some teams...and got pretty much owned by Wisconsin. Pittsburgh needs an NT, and 3-4 NT's mainly have to be able to take a double team. They aren't meant to sack the QB, or get a ton of stops in the run game. They just need to anchor, hold the LOS, and take two guys...Worthy can do that very well. He hardly ever gives ground, and will drive his man backward most of the time.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree but, you have to understand Fox doesn't have a of taking DL guys early. He gets a lot out of scrubs like Shanny does with RBs.

Del Rio has a long track record of taking DT's high, and had success with both Alualu (1st round), and Knighton (3rd round). The Broncos can't really afford to pick up scraps late in the draft, and hope they develop, they need players to step in, and make an impact now. Del Rio is going to be the guy developing these players, so I would think they lean heavily on his expertise. Fox wasn't in control of the Carolina drafts, but did well developing the DT talent that Hurney gave him.

The Broncos moves in free agency (successes and failures) and current roster, have pretty much presented a clear path in the 2012 draft.

DENVERDUI55
04-09-2012, 12:39 PM
I figured you were a Crick or Branch guy?

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Prove it Ha!

pricejj
04-09-2012, 12:53 PM

I like both players, but the Broncos can't afford to take any chances now. The Broncos need to take an impact UT with their 1st pick, someone who won't bust. Branch is a luxury at this point. Crick has a bust factor at DT, and has settled into the 2nd round (at the highest), with a slow forty for a 279 lb. Defensive Lineman. The Broncos won't need a UT in the 2nd round.

It's pretty sweet if you can find a starting UT at #25...the draft is deep enough this year, that the Broncos may be able to do it. I think the Broncos are crossing their fingers right now, and hoping for the best. We are forced to do the same.

Lycan
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1125728_o.gif

Requiem
04-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Do you have an confirmation that he was the only head coach there? He personally ran Worthy through the drills. That's what I read.

Requiem
04-09-2012, 01:13 PM

He almost dominated against some teams...and got pretty much owned by Wisconsin. Pittsburgh needs an NT, and 3-4 NT's mainly have to be able to take a double team. They aren't meant to sack the QB, or get a ton of stops in the run game. They just need to anchor, hold the LOS, and take two guys...Worthy can do that very well. He hardly ever gives ground, and will drive his man backward most of the time.

NFL evaluator: "(Michigan State DT) Jerel Worthy is a big, underachieving defensive tackle. He's athletic, he can run, he creates penetration. When he wants to play, he shows up. Watch him against Wisconsin -- they don't knock him off the ball. He gets under blocks and works the edges. You're going to take a deep breath before you draft him, but he has first-round talent."

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Worthy is not even a 1Tech 4-3 DT, yet you think he can be a 3-4 NT?

broncocalijohn
04-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Pos rep the **** out of my post so I can get all CBF1 rep-giddy and then I will cry like a little baby when I see the thread has been deleted and so has my pos rep.

But to topic, I would be surprised if we didn't take a DT for our first pick but not sure on the 2nd. If Broncos find somthing they like with BPA, they probably will if DTs aren't instand stater quality. I just can't imagine the FO not addressing this issue especially when we had a FA come in and get hurt right off the bat. Depth and/or starters are needed this time around.

houghtam
04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Worthy is not even a 1Tech 4-3 DT, yet you think he can be a 3-4 NT?

Worthy is not a 3-4 NT. No way. Price has "seen tape" of Worthy. I've watched every game the guy has ever played. 1) You need to rewatch both Wisconsin games. 2) Worthy isn't a 3-4 NT.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

That was soooo 3 delete threads ago.

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Worthy is not a 3-4 NT. No way. Price has "seen tape" of Worthy. I've watched every game the guy has ever played. 1) You need to rewatch both Wisconsin games. 2) Worthy isn't a 3-4 NT.

Yeah, Price is feeling Worthy as a Haloti Nagta type DE, DT, NT type flexible monster. While I may be harsh saying I don't want Worthy, I at least know his skill set to know he's a 3Tech UT.

OBF1
04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
{"Elway, Fox, and Xanders have given every indication, with their lack of activity in the free-agent market, that taking two DT's with the 1st two picks is a strong possibility"}

Where did the BS come from? By every indication, do you mean the total lack of commitment to signing a free agent DT.... like the past number of years?

Knucklehead is not strong enough for many here.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to taking Still and Ta'amu with #1 and #2.

BPA works... or...

Get a OG in the 3rd, RB in the 4th, and a CB with the other fourth.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Someone posted on here that John Fox is to DTs what Mike Shanahan was to RBs.

Also, Del Rio has always had badass DTs.

I'm not too worried.

TonyR
04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Detailed post on DT's from IAOFM today...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/scouting-the-draft-2012-defensive-tackles

CEH
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM

I'm not too worried.

I agree. If the DT position this year is the direct cause of why the team did not make the playoffs with Peyton Manning then the FO should all be fired. I don't believe this will be the case and the doom and gloom around here not to mention the massive amount of DT threads is really amusing. You would think this team is one DT away from the SUper Bowl when we have our 2 starting DTs who were injured returning from last year and a heck of alot of picks to select a DT or 2 in the draft

McCoy
Robertson
Sullivan
Price
Okoye

man many first rouind DT that are bust or have not lived up to expectation. I think we can find a few in round 2 and later that will be productive this year

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I agree. If the DT position this year is the direct cause of why the team did not make the playoffs with Peyton Manning then the FO should all be fired. I don't believe this will be the case and the doom and gloom around here not to mention the massive amount of DT threads is really amusing. You would think this team is one DT away from the SUper Bowl when we have our 2 starting DTs who were injured returning from last year and a heck of alot of picks to select a DT or 2 in the draft

McCoy
Robertson
Sullivan
Price
Okoye

man many first rouind DT that are bust or have not lived up to expectation. I think we can find a few in round 2 and later that will be productive this year

I'm no draft expert, but I've heard from many that this is a very strong draft year for DTs.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Do you have an confirmation that he was the only head coach there? He personally ran Worthy through the drills. That's what I read.

You might be right...it's tough to tell. I read it as Tomlin, being the only coach, surrounded by "NFL scouts representing nearly every team".

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120315/SPORTS0202/203150412

East Lansing— The final moments of Michigan State's pro day belonged to Jerel Worthy. The 6-foot-3, 303-pound defensive tackle moved to the far end of Michigan State's indoor practice field Wednesday and — surrounded by NFL scouts representing nearly every team and the lone coach (Mike Tomlin of the Steelers) — went through the drills knowing that every movement counts. Worthy, drenched in sweat following the drill, received a pat on the back from Tomlin.

NFL evaluator: "(Michigan State DT) Jerel Worthy is a big, underachieving defensive tackle. He's athletic, he can run, he creates penetration. When he wants to play, he shows up. Watch him against Wisconsin -- they don't knock him off the ball. He gets under blocks and works the edges. You're going to take a deep breath before you draft him, but he has first-round talent."

Yeah, that's pretty much what I saw from the Wisconsin games (from all footage on youtube)...and I'm pretty sure that's what Tomlin see's too...and that's why I think he's interested may be interested in Worthy as an NT.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 03:54 PM

I'm not too worried.

That was me that claimed that. They will find away to fix the problem.

Requiem
04-09-2012, 04:05 PM
You might be right...it's tough to tell. I read it as Tomlin, being the only coach, surrounded by "NFL scouts representing nearly every team".

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120315/SPORTS0202/203150412

East Lansing— The final moments of Michigan State's pro day belonged to Jerel Worthy. The 6-foot-3, 303-pound defensive tackle moved to the far end of Michigan State's indoor practice field Wednesday and — surrounded by NFL scouts representing nearly every team and the lone coach (Mike Tomlin of the Steelers) — went through the drills knowing that every movement counts. Worthy, drenched in sweat following the drill, received a pat on the back from Tomlin.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I saw from the Wisconsin games (from all footage on youtube)...and I'm pretty sure that's what Tomlin see's too...and that's why I think he's interested may be interested in Worthy as an NT.

It isn't really tough to tell. You were taking the Tomlin tidbit too far to support your own notions as to why the Steelers would draft him at #24 (he is not a NT) so he could avoid being an option for the Broncos. When you brought up Tomlin, I knew exactly where you got that from. Don't lie.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 04:08 PM

It's not impossible. I'm not sure why else Tomlin would have been at Worthy's Pro Day, unless he was interested in him at the NT position. The Steelers already have Heyward and Hood as DE's.

Yeah, Price is feeling Worthy as a Haloti Nagta type DE, DT, NT type flexible monster. While I may be harsh saying I don't want Worthy, I at least know his skill set to know he's a 3Tech UT.

I never said Worthy was even close to being on par with Haloti Ngata. The only other 3-4 NT's in this draft are Poe and Ta'amu, who the Steelers the Steelers may also choose in the 1st or 2nd round. Although, it's pretty clear tha Worthy has the best game footage, and MAY be able to function in that role.

{"Elway, Fox, and Xanders have given every indication, with their lack of activity in the free-agent market, that taking two DT's with the 1st two picks is a strong possibility"}

Where did the BS come from? By every indication, do you mean the total lack of commitment to signing a free agent DT.... like the past number of years?
Knucklehead is not strong enough for many here.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. Coupled with the fact that this draft is deep in the 1st round with possible starting caliber 4-3 UT's, the emergence of Ta'amu as a viable 2nd round draft pick at NT, the lack of remaining UFA/RFA DT's, and the pittance of credible starting caliber DT's on the Broncos roster... To me, Still 1/ Ta'amu 2 is the MOST LIKELY draft scenario for the Broncos.

1. It appears the Broncos are set at OL (even though that's not the way I would have played it).
2. It appears the Broncos are set at #1 and #2 WR (WR in the 1st is too much of a luxury, I think Decker is going to be Manning's go to guy).
3. Set at RB (until probably the 3rd round or later, where true value can be had).
4. Definitely set at TE (with the signing of Dreessen and Tamme).
5. Set at backup QB (until maybe the 3rd round with Osweiler).
6. Set at CB (with the signing of Porter, until later in the draft for depth).
7. Set at Safety (with the signing of Adams...they won't even be able to bring back BDawk without cutting Bruton).
8. Set at MLB (they won't be cut Mays to bring in Hightower. I guess it's feasible they draft an MLB in the 2nd, but not likely considering they already have Mohamed and Irving on the roster).
9. Set at OLB (Wes was resigned to backup in case DJ's suspension holds).

If you have a more likely scenario than this one, by all means, let it be known.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
It isn't really tough to tell. You were taking the Tomlin tidbit too far to support your own notions as to why the Steelers would draft him at #24 (he is not a NT) so he could avoid being an option for the Broncos. When you brought up Tomlin, I knew exactly where you got that from. Don't lie.

The Steelers worked out hicks as well. Isn't he a 5 tech 3-4 DE?

pricejj
04-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Don't get it twisted, I think Tomlin was the only head coach at Worthy's Pro Day.

I think Still and Worthy are the top 2 most probable outcomes for the Broncos at #25. Tomlin's "lone" coaching presence at the Pro Day, coupled with Hampton's age and injury, the Steelers roster, and the lack of starting caliber 3-4 NT's in the draft...indicate to me, that the Steelers have a strong interest in Worthy @ 24.

If they were given a choice between Still and Worthy, I can't really say who the Broncos would pick. I don't have access to all the information that they do. Sometimes I think Worthy...sometimes I think Still.

Requiem
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
The Steelers worked out hicks as well. Isn't he a 5 tech 3-4 DE?

Don't know much about him, but I've read that people think he can play in a even or odd front, and probably play across the line in a 3-4. Could care less about the turd.

g6matty
04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
is abrayo franklin or shaun rogers available

Requiem
04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Don't get it twisted, I think Tomlin was the only head coach at Worthy's Pro Day.

I think Still and Worthy are the top 2 most probable outcomes for the Broncos at #25. Tomlin's "lone" coaching presence at the Pro Day, coupled with Hampton's age and injury, the Steelers roster, and the lack of starting caliber 3-4 NT's in the draft...indicate to me, that the Steelers have a strong interest in Worthy @ 24.

If they were given a choice between Still and Worthy, I think the Broncos would choose Worthy.

Mike Tomlin also had dinner with Kirk Cousins and reports stated that he and Kevin Colbert (GM) were all over Trent Robinson. Like I said, you are really stretching it.

pricejj
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Mike Tomlin also had dinner with Kirk Cousins and reports stated that he and Kevin Colbert (GM) were all over Trent Robinson. Like I said, you are really stretching it.

Who is Trent Robinson? Cousins maybe later in the draft.

For the Steelers, I think it comes down to Gilmore, Poe, Hightower, Glenn, or Worthy in the 1st. Gilmore will probably be gone. Glenn will probably be gone. Poe may bust. That leaves Hightower and Worthy. I guess we'll find out who they think has more value.

Who do you think the Steelers pick @ 24?

CEH
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Mike Adams or another LT

pricejj
04-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Mike Adams or another LT

Could very well be, but Adams has holes in his game too... Jonathan Martin may even fall, wouldn't that be crazy.

DBroncos4life
04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Don't know much about him, but I've read that people think he can play in a even or odd front, and probably play across the line in a 3-4. Could care less about the turd.

I don't like that tone ;D. I like him as a mid to late round project.

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
is abrayo franklin or shaun rogers available

Both, and I would most certainly pick up the phone for Rogers.

Bmore Manning
04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Devon Still on NFL 32 with that bright ass yellow shirt.
Interesting interview....

pricejj
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Both, and I would most certainly pick up the phone for Rogers.

...not before the draft...and Bannan would be probably pan out better as backup NT. Rogers should retire.

Bmore Manning
04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
...not before the draft...and Bannan would be probably pan out better as backup NT. Rogers should retire.

I would take Rogers over Bannan any day of the week.

houghtam
04-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Who is Trent Robinson? Cousins maybe later in the draft.

For the Steelers, I think it comes down to Gilmore, Poe, Hightower, Glenn, or Worthy in the 1st. Gilmore will probably be gone. Glenn will probably be gone. Poe may bust. That leaves Hightower and Worthy. I guess we'll find out who they think has more value.

Trenton Robinson is a safety that will be taken in the 5th or so because he has good measurables and can contribute on special teams right away.

Cousins won't last past the 3rd.

theAPAOps5
04-10-2012, 09:53 AM

Boom.... Outta here

Requiem
04-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Trenton Robinson is a safety that will be taken in the 5th or so because he has good measurables and can contribute on special teams right away.

Cousins won't last past the 3rd.

I think Robinson will go higher than that. In fact, he will go before the end of round four. He might be to small to play safety, but I think that a team like the Steelers would give him a shot at corner.

pricejj
04-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Is Jerel Worthy just another Pat Sims, or is he more like Tyson Alualu?

Is Kendall Reyes just another Kentwan Balmer?

Who would you compare Devon Still to?

Requiem
04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
A fat turd.

ant1999e
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Hilarious!

pricejj
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Tom Coughlin was the head coach who brought Marcus Stroud and John Henderson to Jacksonville...not Jack Del Rio.

Jack Del Rio has missed on several 1st and 2nd round draft picks on the Defensive Line the last four years...and has only hit on one, Tyson Alualu, who was a major reach at the 10th pick in 2010, and has been solid, but not spectacular.

Mediator12
04-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I think Robinson will go higher than that. In fact, he will go before the end of round four. He might be to small to play safety, but I think that a team like the Steelers would give him a shot at corner.

I give players the non-draftable red grade very few times each year. I only had 6 in 2012 and Trent Robinson got one early this year. I could not stand to watch him play. From the senior Bowl back to his past 2 years tape. Kid has NO situational awareness, totally blows assignments at the worst times, and mentally has no idea how to play safety. He might make it as a backup STer or 5th CB, but no way he sees the field in the NFL at Safety IMHO.

Dedhed
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM

I would love for KC to draft Brockers. Just like I loved it when they drafted Dorsey. Just like I loved it when Oakland took JaMarcus. I love when AFCW rivals draft busts.

Requiem
04-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I give players the non-draftable red grade very few times each year. I only had 6 in 2012 and Trent Robinson got one early this year. I could not stand to watch him play. From the senior Bowl back to his past 2 years tape. Kid has NO situational awareness, totally blows assignments at the worst times, and mentally has no idea how to play safety. He might make it as a backup STer or 5th CB, but no way he sees the field in the NFL at Safety IMHO.

Goodness, not even draftable? I wouldn't take him that high (wouldn't mind a late round selection on him) and think that he is going to be a special teamer, but I was reading a few articles where teams are slotting him in the mid third to fourth round for value. It surprised me, but I'm even more surprised you don't think he is draftable! Biggest issues for me are his poor tackling and play action bites. You are probably right, mentally he just can't approach the game well enough to ever be the guy you want covering the back end on your team.

Mediator12
04-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Goodness, not even draftable? I wouldn't take him that high (wouldn't mind a late round selection on him) and think that he is going to be a special teamer, but I was reading a few articles where teams are slotting him in the mid third to fourth round for value. It surprised me, but I'm even more surprised you don't think he is draftable! Biggest issues for me are his poor tackling and play action bites. You are probably right, mentally he just can't approach the game well enough to ever be the guy you want covering the back end on your team.

He set a record on my senior bowl grading for minuses. He had 6 and my previous worst was 4. Immediately, I wanted to see him play against premier competition for his team and popped in the Alabama/Mich ST game when Dareus showed his prowess 2 years ago. He made so many errors on Alabama's big plays and personally missed 3 asignments that led to scores. I was horrifed the staff did not bench him after the first half. Did he recover and play well in the second half? No, he played almost worse.

So, I watched a few other big ten games and for every game he had more minuses than pluses. By the end I was cringing watching him play.

Mediator12
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Also, really sad no mention of Mike Martin as a possible UT or NT for DEN. Might be the best Value DT out there and played 3-4 NT at MICH. He showed a much more versatile skill set in Mobile as he was a lot more explosive, quick, and tenacious as a pass rusher once he no longer had the 3-4 NT duties and could one gap in a simple front with no stunts. He was the best DT in one on one drills, followed closely by Kendall Reyes. Another name that really needs mentioning in this thread.

If DEN could get either of those guys and another stout NT type later in the draft like Hebron Fangupo or some other guys who are currently undrafted in the OM mock draft to be run stuffing 4-3 one gap occupiers I would be pleased.

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Also, really sad no mention of Mike Martin as a possible UT or NT for DEN. Might be the best Value DT out there and played 3-4 NT at MICH. He showed a much more versatile skill set in Mobile as he was a lot more explosive, quick, and tenacious as a pass rusher once he no longer had the 3-4 NT duties and could one gap in a simple front with no stunts. He was the best DT in one on one drills, followed closely by Kendall Reyes. Another name that really needs mentioning in this thread.

If DEN could get either of those guys and another stout NT type later in the draft like Hebron Fangupo or some other guys who are currently undrafted in the OM mock draft to be run stuffing 4-3 one gap occupiers I would be pleased.

I think you may get your wish. I don't think they will reach for a DT @25. The question I have is when do you take Martin? Do you take him in the second or wait until the third?

socalorado
04-11-2012, 07:12 AM

I am sold on DT Martin and mentioned him in the Cecil thread.
I would love for DEN to get both Martins in this draft.

Mediator12
04-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I think you may get your wish. I don't think they will reach for a DT @25. The question I have is when do you take Martin? Do you take him in the second or wait until the third?

I like GM's who can manipulate the draft to get a guy. That being said, I am not sure DEN has that guy yet.

I think Martin would be available in the late second, but no way in the third where DEN picks. Therefore, you would have to get him in the late second unless you could work some draft magic. I would be completely OK with that, based on what happens at 25. The UT's will be gone by the beginning of the third. It might be a deep class, but the UT's are not deep. 4-3 NT is though. Lot's of those later.

OrangeSe7en
04-11-2012, 07:34 AM
What did they trade for Bunkley last year? Wasn't it a fifth? Why couldn't they do something like that again this year...trade a 5th for an underachieving/undervalued DT on another roster?

socalorado
04-11-2012, 07:38 AM
What did they trade for Bunkley last year? Wasn't it a fifth? Why couldn't they do something like that again this year...trade a 5th for an underachieving/undervalued DT on another roster?

It would have to be a 4th to DET for DT Sammie Lee Hill.
Thats about it out there.

PRBronco
04-11-2012, 08:38 AM
Is Jerel Worthy just another Pat Sims, or is he more like Tyson Alualu?

Is Kendall Reyes just another Kentwan Balmer?

Who would you compare Devon Still to?

Fili Moala?

(sorry Rev)

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Fili Moala?

(sorry Rev)

DEFF NOT! That's the worst UT in football!

Bmore Manning
04-11-2012, 08:57 AM
I like GM's who can manipulate the draft to get a guy. That being said, I am not sure DEN has that guy yet.

I think Martin would be available in the late second, but no way in the third where DEN picks. Therefore, you would have to get him in the late second unless you could work some draft magic. I would be completely OK with that, based on what happens at 25. The UT's will be gone by the beginning of the third. It might be a deep class, but the UT's are not deep. 4-3 NT is though. Lot's of those later.

That really depends who you had in mind for NT. I would love Thompson and Martin duo, but you think that requires two second round picks or maybe an early third. This duo would dominate 1 on 1 matchups forcing more attention inside, while stopping the run!

pricejj
04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
"Historically, only 1 in 4 DT's taken in the 1st round end up starting and playing out their rookie contract with the team that drafted them."

- Ted Sundquist (on 104.3 the FAN)

Mediator12
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
"Historically, only 1 in 4 DT's taken in the 1st round end up starting and playing out their rookie contract with the team that drafted them."

- Ted Sundquist (on 104.3 the FAN)

Not sure what he means by "historically" as what dates or for all time. I am sure he has some numbers to back that up, but that's a little low even for the DT Bust rate ;D

Since 2005, that trend is way to low. It's about 50%. Plus, only 3 DT's on average were drafted in the first round. Lots of DE's were drafted, but that statement is very misleading and included some drafts recently without a lot of DT talent.