PDA

View Full Version : *Spoiler Alert* Weird way to end Mad Men ep. 3

Mogulseeker
04-08-2012, 11:09 PM
IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH TO OPEN THIS THREAD BEFORE SEEING THE EPISODE - AND WERE PLANNING ON SEEING IT, CLOSE THIS THREAD NOW

So did Don Draper actually kill the crazy b**** that broke into his home and tried to seduce him, or was it a dream?

theAPAOps5
04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Is this an ambien story?

OBF1
04-08-2012, 11:12 PM
You have been warned many times... Do not watch ghostbusters before bed.

hookemhess
04-08-2012, 11:13 PM
It was a dream.

Aftermath
04-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Mad Men???

Mogulseeker
04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Is this an ambien story?

No but Sally's nanny gave her a sleeping pill and when Betty got home, the nanny was out cold and Sally was knocked out under the couch.

Weird episode.

theAPAOps5
04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Ok, but is this an ambien story in real life!

doonwise
04-09-2012, 12:24 AM
You know, this is the most incoherent thread MightySmurf has ever created. It's almost like the ghost of Watermock is rising up and controlling his keyboard... creepy. :)

Ratboy
04-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Can you edit the title with the name of the show? May want to note that the thread may contain spoilers.

Dick.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Can you edit the title with the name of the show? May want to note that the thread may contain spoilers.

Dick.

Done. But it's not really a spoiler because on the next Mad Men, they will show the scene on the whole "previously on Mad Men."

CHANGSTER
04-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Fever dream. Was a pretty holy **** moment, though.

TonyR
04-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Definitely a dream. He was delirious with fever.

I tried to look up the drug the step grandmother gave Sally (and took herself) but couldn't find anything. I thought she said "sachinol" but I'm guessing the spelling.

Found it: Seconal. Certainly not something you give a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secobarbital

TonyR
04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Here's a good recap.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/mad-men-don-killing-his-past/

Bronco X
04-09-2012, 09:53 AM
The scene in the next morning with Megan and Don offered fairly straight forward and obvious indicators that it was a dream. A dream fake out does seem out of place for the show, but less so than an actual murder committed by the lead character would be (his dark, sordid past not withstanding).

Chris
04-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I really wanted it to be a dream because I genuinely was thinking "if this is real, the show has gone off the rails". As a dream, perfect and shows how desperate Don is to keep it together.

That said, was the sex a dream? Dunno.

TonyR
04-09-2012, 10:10 AM
That said, was the sex a dream? Dunno.

I think the whole Andrea thing was a dream. From the recap I linked earlier:

This "Andrea" was the fever-dream personification of Don's toxic guilt for his serial philandering. In hindsight, I'm convinced that not even this first encounter was real — there was all that business about how she got into the building, and her farewell come on of "It was just sex — it doesn't mean anything" sounds like the thematic thesis statement it was. But it didn't hit me that "Andrea" was a figment of Don's febrile imagination until she came back the second time, somehow eager for some afternoon delight with a man who looked like death waiting in the oven to be eventually warmed over.

But I do believe her story, that Don once slotted the real Andrea in the Lincoln Center loading dock while Betty waited inside. The dark memory was enough to ignite Don's enfeebled libido, but after having his way with the symbol of his self-destructive shame, he was riddled with even more of it. "It was a mistake," he whimpered. "A mistake you love making," hissed Evil Andrea. "You loved it. And you'll love it again, because you're a sick, sick—"

jhns
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Done. But it's not really a spoiler because on the next Mad Men, they will show the scene on the whole "previously on Mad Men."

It isn't a spoiler because the next episode will go over it? So what about people who plan on watching this episode first, but haven't yet? Your post doesn't make any sense.

StugotsIII
04-09-2012, 10:23 AM
So did Don actually kill the crazy b**** that broke into his home and tried to seduce him, or was it a dream?

It was fever induced.

TonyR
04-09-2012, 10:30 AM
So what about people who plan on watching this episode first, but haven't yet?

Such people should probably just stay out of this thread, right?

jhns
04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Such people should probably just stay out of this thread, right?

Now maybe. You clearly aren't following what was going on.

If you are going to defend that excuse, why not address it? How does that make even the smallest amount of sense to anyone? There is no such thing as a spoiler in TV shows because the next episodes will review the previous episodes!!!!

Chris
04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Methinks jhanise just fever punched mightysmurf.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
I added a *spoiler alert* to the title for all the sandy vagina types in this thread.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
MadMen has the world's worst "scenes from the next show" segment

jhns
04-09-2012, 01:27 PM
I added a *spoiler alert* to the title for all the sandy vagina types in this thread.

This doesn't explain your stupidity. "There is no such thing as spoilers for TV shows!..."

Don't worry. Thinking of others isn't for everyone.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
This message is hidden because jhns is on your ignore list.

I don't need to know what he wrote, because I already know it's stupid.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Please don't quote that tool, BTW.

jhns
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Poor guy.

Miss I.
04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Well better than him walking out of the shower and be still married to Betty. Also thankfully no glee like singing. Hey is peggy going to end up being lesbian or did I already miss that?

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Well better than him walking out of the shower and be still married to Betty. Also thankfully no glee like singing. Hey is peggy going to end up being lesbian or did I already miss that?

Well Peggy hasa boyfriend, but she lives in New York and he lives in Chitown. So IDK.

Also, I thought Jessica Paré's performance of "Zou Bisou Bisou" was great and not very Glee-like at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pyy8roNU060" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bendog
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
When Betty didn't try out the lifestyle of a high end hooker in season one, I lost interest.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
When Betty didn't try out the lifestyle of a high end hooker in season one, I lost interest.

Aside from some brief appearances, Betty has pretty much been phased out of the show. The show is a lot less depressing without her. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Miss I.
04-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Well Peggy hasa boyfriend, but she lives in New York and he lives in Chitown. So IDK.

Also, I thought Jessica Paré's performance of "Zou Bisou Bisou" was great and not very Glee-like at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pyy8roNU060" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No I loved that. I was thinking of a horrible episode of greys anatomy that was all glee. I forgot about her singing because I liked that. This was an interesting episode tho not a huge fan of dream sequences this one was ok. And am glad for my fave girl and the dr. I hate that dude. As for Peggy I just got a vibe off her saying she was different and she tried but she didn't really want it. I know she was talking about the job but it seemed like something else

Chris
04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Good for Joan her husband was such a bitch.

CHANGSTER
04-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Yeah it does. Tells you absolutely nothing. And it doesn't make you want to see the next episode any more. It really serves no purpose, now that I think about it.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah it does. Tells you absolutely nothing. And it doesn't make you want to see the next episode any more. It really serves no purpose, now that I think about it.

Mad Men is a really slow-moving show. There's really nothing exciting about it until you get invested in the characters.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Mad Men is a really slow-moving show. There's really nothing exciting about it until you get invested in the characters.

True, but his point stands. The scenes from upcoming eps are utterly pointless. I just skip em outright these days.

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
True, but his point stands. The scenes from upcoming eps are utterly pointless. I just skip em outright these days.

No, I agree. I was explaining why the scenes are pointless... because nothing really eventful ever happens in Mad Men.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2012, 04:50 PM
No, I agree. I was explaining why the scenes are pointless... because nothing really eventful ever happens in Mad Men.

true, i guess i never really thought of it that way, but i do feel their scenes are delibrately vague. They don't even give an inkling of what its about

Chris
04-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Agree. It's not about "events", which is is what distinguishes it from almost all other shows that use events to create drama and drive the story forward. Some do that better than others, e.g. Breaking Bad, while others break away from truths and rely on formula. The best shows these days have believable characters whose choices lead to believable events. If that truth is maintained people will buy into it regardless of how fantastic the setting. In some cases it can bring new interest into tired genres, e.g. Game of Thrones. ****ty shows will betray this by relying on formula and it not only bores viewers, since almost everyone knows these formulas by now, but also kills any relevance they might feel to their own lives. When you have that sense of relevance, it's powerful. Mad Men at times has felt like more than entertainment for me because of this.

The show, in contrast, is all about the slow evolution of its characters. We have a basic understanding of the outer forces that might influence them, since we know the period, but it's really the subtle, internal dramas that are most interesting.

StugotsIII
04-09-2012, 05:15 PM

OMG.....I was thinking the same thing.

It gives no indication of what the next show will be about.

It builds no excitement.

ShutDownPoster
04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
OMFG!

At the end of the episode all I can think of was...

'Wow, I hope the twins don't smother that baby...'

'Geez, are those triplets?'

ShutDownPoster
04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Agree. It's not about "events", which is is what distinguishes it from almost all other shows that use events to create drama and drive the story forward. Some do that better than others, e.g. Breaking Bad, while others break away from truths and rely on formula. The best shows these days have believable characters whose choices lead to believable events. If that truth is maintained people will buy into it regardless of how fantastic the setting. In some cases it can bring new interest into tired genres, e.g. Game of Thrones. ****ty shows will betray this by relying on formula and it not only bores viewers, since almost everyone knows these formulas by now, but also kills any relevance they might feel to their own lives. When you have that sense of relevance, it's powerful. Mad Men at times has felt like more than entertainment for me because of this.

The show, in contrast, is all about the slow evolution of its characters. We have a basic understanding of the outer forces that might influence them, since we know the period, but it's really the subtle, internal dramas that are most interesting.

Well I'm drawn to it because I work as a Creative Director myself, and I will never forget Don's 'Carousel' pitch to Kodak - some of the most amazing writing in TV - ever. So if you do creative pitches for a living, it was just incredible way to see it portrayed. I even use it to train junior designers.

Chris
04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Well I'm drawn to it because I work as a Creative Director myself, and I will never forget Don's 'Carousel' pitch to Kodak - some of the most amazing writing in TV - ever. So if you do creative pitches for a living, it was just incredible way to see it portrayed. I even use it to train junior designers.

Interesting. Most of the people I know in advertising dismiss the show as having nothing to do with their "modern" approach. This includes JWT guys ;)

broncosteven
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Definitely a dream. He was delirious with fever.

I tried to look up the drug the step grandmother gave Sally (and took herself) but couldn't find anything. I thought she said "sachinol" but I'm guessing the spelling.

Found it: Seconal. Certainly not something you give a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secobarbital

Seconal was a barbuitate(SP?) that is what Dr's prescribed before we had the synthetic stuff. You were too stoned on Seconals to get up to **** in your basement or eat a back of Cheetos.

broncosteven
04-10-2012, 10:41 AM

kinda like their other shows, the killing and the walking dead

SonOfLe-loLang
04-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Except the Walking Dead has a ****load of crappy characters.

Chris
04-10-2012, 11:15 AM

They lost me at zombies, in other words the initial concept. I HATE the fascination with something as stupid and fake as zombies.

jhns
04-10-2012, 12:25 PM
They lost me at zombies, in other words the initial concept. I HATE the fascination with something as stupid and fake as zombies.

So you watch the show after thinking this? Weird.

Chris
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
So you watch the show after thinking this? Weird.

No. I've never watched the show.

jhns
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
No. I've never watched the show.

Yeah, I don't know what I was reading.

lolcopter
04-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Except that the show isn't about zombies at all, more of a how these people are surviving and interacting in this post apocalyptic environment

Very good character driven show IMO. But I'm also on board with the zombie thing too fwiw

Annyyyway... Betty needs to die off from mad men already. Worthless character is worthless. Gimme more Pete Campbell and roger

Chris
04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Except that the show isn't about zombies at all, more of a how these people are surviving and interacting in this post apocalyptic environment

Very good character driven show IMO. But I'm also on board with the zombie thing too fwiw

Annyyyway... Betty needs to die off from mad men already. Worthless character is worthless. Gimme more Pete Campbell and roger

I know but I need a reason not to watch it. Two shows is enough.

broncosteven
04-10-2012, 03:38 PM

Yep, their character development flaps in the wind.

TonyR
04-10-2012, 05:07 PM

I think all three shows are excellent. But that's just me.

lolcopter
04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
games of thrones + mad men own my sundays for the foreseeable future

too bad that eastbound and down sucks now. oh well, it's almost over

TonyR
04-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Yeah, this season has been a little weak.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-10-2012, 06:03 PM
games of thrones + mad men own my sundays for the foreseeable future

This. And the Amazing Race....too much tv on sundays

Chris
04-10-2012, 06:21 PM
This. And the Amazing Race....too much tv on sundays

One of the few reality shows I ever found interesting.