PDA

View Full Version : Julius Thomas has ankle surgery

Conklin
04-08-2012, 04:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/08/julius-thomas-undergoes-ankle-surgery/

Julius Thomas undergoes ankle surgery
Posted by Evan Silva on April 8, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Richard Smith, Julius Thomas AP

Broncos fourth-round pick Julius Thomas, a basketball player turned tight end, struggled to get on the field during his rookie season. With Denver adding Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen at his position this offseason, Thomas is facing long odds for playing time in 2012.

Thomas hit another roadblock last week when he underwent surgery to repair ligaments in his ankle, according to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post. The surgery figures to sideline, or at least limit Thomas during post-draft Organized Team Activities.

Thomas finished his first NFL season with one reception for five yards, appearing in just five games. He should make the Broncos’ 53-man roster, but will be hard pressed for significant snaps.

DBroncos4life
04-08-2012, 04:07 PM
When did he hurt that ankle?

Hamrob
Man, this kid is a disapointment...

jebures
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/08/julius-thomas-undergoes-ankle-surgery/

Julius Thomas undergoes ankle surgery
Posted by Evan Silva on April 8, 2012, 6:43 PM EDT
Richard Smith, Julius Thomas AP

Broncos fourth-round pick Julius Thomas, a basketball player turned tight end, struggled to get on the field during his rookie season. With Denver adding Jacob Tamme and Joel Dreessen at his position this offseason, Thomas is facing long odds for playing time in 2012.

Thomas hit another roadblock last week when he underwent surgery to repair ligaments in his ankle, according to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post. The surgery figures to sideline, or at least limit Thomas during post-draft Organized Team Activities.

Thomas finished his first NFL season with one reception for five yards, appearing in just five games. He should make the Broncos’ 53-man roster, but will be hard pressed for significant snaps.

Typical

Lestat
04-08-2012, 04:12 PM
are you frickin' kidding me? oh yeah, we're drafting a TE.

McDman
04-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Yeah, stupid fourth rounder should've been a pro bowler last year. I can't believe he purposely hurt his ankle.

OBF1
04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
My guess would be he hurt it playing hoops.

Lestat
04-08-2012, 04:18 PM
My guess would be he hurt it playing hoops.
if Ryan Clady taught us nothing, it's that pro players and non pro/charity hoops is bad.

myMind
04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Hope he heals up quickly and can contribute this season

CEH
04-08-2012, 05:19 PM
This is what kept him out most of last year. I heard rumors the doctors misdiagnosed and he should of had surgery last year to correct the issue

Br0nc0Buster
04-08-2012, 05:28 PM
This is what kept him out most of last year. I heard rumors the doctors misdiagnosed and he should of had surgery last year to correct the issue

yeah
not sure why people are surprised by this

he played on a bum ankle last year electing not to have surgery

this may hurt his development, but luckily we have Dreeson and Tamme on the roster to transition Thomas in when he is ready

vancejohnson82
04-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I think we found our Domenik Hixon Pre-Season Award winner

Dr. Broncenstein
04-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Lol just after his "about to step up" springtime kiss of death article....

razorwire77
04-08-2012, 05:33 PM
It's hard to deny the kid's fluidity and athleticism, but then again the same thing could be said for Wesley Duke. Hope he recovers and contributes, but I'm glad Elway and Co, took the necessary steps to upgrade the position via free-agency. It would be nice to pick up a late round draft pick at the position as well, considering that Virgil Green is most likely done. I wouldn't mind big Michael Egnew if he's sitting there in the 4th round, but my guess is he's gone before that.

Garcia Bronco
04-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Has this kid actually ever done anything except suck?

Taco John
04-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm beginning to think the Wesley Dukes Rookie of the Year Awards program is cursed.

TheReverend
04-08-2012, 06:32 PM

^ we already signed a half dozen...

strafen
04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
That's a bummer.
I was looking forward to see how he would fit in a more pass-oriented offense...
It now looks like he wouldn't've played a lot anyway.
With Dreesen and Tamme he's definitely got his work cut out...

KipCorrington25
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Lol just after his "about to step up" springtime kiss of death article....

Not much time was wasted however because the Post just took all the old Richard Quinn articles and did a find/replace in MS Word.

LetsGoBroncos
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Good thing he waited 7 months to have the surgery

ghwk
04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Was Brian Greise's dog involved with this?

Doggcow
04-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I used Julius Thomas a lot in Madden. Otherwise I wouldn't care.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm beginning to think the Wesley Dukes Rookie of the Year Awards program is cursed.

Duke was at least productive in an actual game for a play...

Punisher
04-08-2012, 07:41 PM

lol i had a man crush on Dukes kept a close eye on him when he played in the europa league i taught he was going to be the next Antonio Gates

Lestat
04-08-2012, 07:46 PM
we have like 5 TE's 2 just signed, 1 just had surgery, 1 is Ingram and the other is suspended for 4 games.

KevinJames
04-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Doesn't seem like a big deal probably just going to miss early OTAs some post draft mini camp sounds like a minor surgery so that last year's high ankle sprain doesn't linger?

A plus out of this is now he gets to be rehabbing with Manning at the facility.

Remember he was just working out with Manning, things probably didn't feel right and he wanted to take care of it asap.

barryr
04-08-2012, 08:03 PM
The good news is Thomas probably wasn't going to get much PT unless there were injuries anyway. The bad news is if he is hobbled for too long, the team may decide not to wait for him to develop and find someone else.

Archer81
04-08-2012, 08:24 PM

Exactly why Fleener will be a Bronco...

Smokescreen...

:Broncos:

Hamrob
04-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah, stupid fourth rounder should've been a pro bowler last year. I can't believe he purposely hurt his ankle.STFU idiot! The kid was a huge reach in the 4th round in my opinion. In retrospect...a wasted pick. It happens, I get that. Nevertheless, it's a disapointment.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-08-2012, 08:31 PM
STFU idiot! The kid was a huge reach in the 4th round in my opinion. In retrospect...a wasted pick. It happens, I get that. Nevertheless, it's a disapointment.

? Richard Quinn was a wasted pick. He'll be back in time for TC. Jeez, lighten up.

baja
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM

That seems to happen a lot with the Broncos doctors.

TD

Trevor Pryce

Brian Griese

Al Wilson

Shannon Sharpe

Jay Cutler

Brandon Marshall

come to mind.

theAPAOps5
04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
If this is from the injury last season why just now the surgery?

sgbfan
04-08-2012, 09:34 PM
if Ryan Clady taught us nothing, it's that pro players and non pro/charity hoops is bad.

Wasn't it a charity hoops event that an ex bronco died at around the same time as DWill? Was it something Nash?

doonwise
04-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Hey, things happen. At least we're no longer drafting guys that already have torn ankle ligaments.

BroncoMan4ever
04-09-2012, 12:23 AM

doubt it. with Tamme and Dreesen both signed for 3 years and the fact they are both young and coming into their primes, Green isn't getting suspended for being a pothead or using steroids, he is geting suspended for making a mistake and not notifying the league about doctor prescribed medicine, and more than likely the suspension will be decreased in length. the team has high hopes for Thomas even with his injury, and there is still a good chance we end up giving Dallas Clark a vet min deal. no way do we draft another TE.

Taco John
04-09-2012, 01:34 AM
The good news is Thomas probably wasn't going to get much PT unless there were injuries anyway. The bad news is if he is hobbled for too long, the team may decide not to wait for him to develop and find someone else.

Unlikely. Surely nobody believes even a single tight tnd is going to be drafted this month. We're moving towards an offense that relies heavily on having two capable catching tight ends. Thomas isn't projected a starter anyway, and is in a great developmental situation to get whatever surgeries he needs and get healthy and learn. He'd have to prove to be awful to get cut at this point.

chrisp
04-09-2012, 04:35 AM
Overall, we're pretty good at the TE position thanks to FA, but even so, it sucks to hear this kid is going to miss some important offseason stuff. If he's good to go for training camp however, I don't think there's a major concern, he stil has a chance to step up.

However, people have to be realistic. Solid backup is actually not a disastrous return on a 4th-round pick and the kid still has a chance to develop into that this year. Definitely not a wasted pick...yet.

Hulamau
04-09-2012, 04:37 AM
yeah
not sure why people are surprised by this

he played on a bum ankle last year electing not to have surgery

this may hurt his development, but luckily we have Dreeson and Tamme on the roster to transition Thomas in when he is ready

Thats a more realistic assessment, and more fair to Julius. He had a very severe high ankle sprain in the early part of the sesaon. Obviously it hasn't responded as they hoped and probably should have been fixed months ago. At least now the kid can heal up properly and get back on the field as soon as he is able.

Lets not all rush all over yourselves to annoint him a bust so quickly. He was always going to be a developmental project and his injury, not to menation having Tebow as our QB last year, helped insure his first year was a lost one.

He still may make that 4th rounder seem very cheap.

bendog
04-09-2012, 07:21 AM
Seems like it didn't heal like they thought it would. He hurt it in Sept. PLAYING FOOTBALL.

Beantown Bronco
04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
we have like 5 TE's 2 just signed, 1 just had surgery, 1 is Ingram and the other is suspended for 4 games.

That's significantly more depth than we have at DT. Just sayin.

Lolad
04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Good thing he waited 7 months to have the surgery

this is what I don't get, he injured it early in the season why wait till now?

Mogulseeker
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM

It's hard to call a 2nd year 4th rounder who made the team a disappointment.

Requiem
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
The only disappointment is that we wasted a fourth rounder on this turd.

broncosteven
04-09-2012, 02:35 PM
lol i had a man crush on Dukes kept a close eye on him when he played in the europa league i taught he was going to be the next Antonio Gates

Man crushes should not be entered into lightly. It takes saving men 250,000 miles from Earth and returning them safely to earn my man crush.

Lestat
04-09-2012, 04:15 PM
true but Manning loves him some TE's and Fox normally keeps 4 so with Thomas and Green out we have essentially 3 on the roster.
That's significantly more depth than we have at DT. Just sayin.

Bigdawg26
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM

I thought it was the Kevin Kasper Preseason All-American!

Agamemnon
04-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Err...we signed Dreesen and Tamme, and have Thomas and Green behind them. We aren't going to be drafting a TE.

Lestat
04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
we have three healthy and playing eligible TE's right now, the third being Ingram. Elway knows how much a help a great TE is to the QB. we're going to be putting the ball up a lot and i fully expect us to take a TE. likely not high but if one falls in the 4th or 5th and the value is high i definitely see it happening.
Err...we signed Dreesen and Tamme, and have Thomas and Green behind them. We aren't going to be drafting a TE.

TheReverend
04-09-2012, 05:19 PM
we have three healthy and playing eligible TE's right now, the third being Ingram. Elway knows how much a help a great TE is to the QB. we're going to be putting the ball up a lot and i fully expect us to take a TE. likely not high but if one falls in the 4th or 5th and the value is high i definitely see it happening.

You conveniently ignore mentioning that a fourth will be healthy by camp and the fifth will only miss a few games.

BroncoSexyDaddy
04-09-2012, 07:26 PM
and have Thomas and Green behind them. We aren't going to be drafting a TE.I'm not convinced with either player at this point.Both players is not my idea of a good TE.

Tamme and Dressen are good,we need 2 more like them imo as backups.Lets cut Virgil Hill and Thomas loose.Dallas Clark and Fleener would be better options than them.

Chris
04-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Wasn't it a charity hoops event that an ex bronco died at around the same time as DWill? Was it something Nash?

Damian Nash, one of our backup RBs.

Agamemnon
04-10-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm not convinced with either player at this point.Both players is not my idea of a good TE.

Tamme and Dressen are good,we need 2 more like them imo as backups.Lets cut Virgil Hill and Thomas loose.Dallas Clark and Fleener would be better options than them.

How many tight ends do you people think a team needs?