PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Okoye GONE 1 year to the Bucs for a measly $2 mill. GJ FO

UberBroncoMan
04-07-2012, 07:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7787701/2012-nfl-free-agency-tampa-bay-buccaneers-agree-amobi-okoye-source-says

Bucs nabbed him for a cheap as **** deal with ZERO risk. This was linked in another thread but I'd like more discussion on it.

Apparently it's $2 mill, though if that's the case I'll be appalled that our FO couldn't match.

I'm ****ing livid right now. We still have pleanty of cap room and we couldn't pony up for say 3 ****ing million on a 24 (25 this year) year old who had over 20 QB pressures and played the second most snaps on the bears interior D-line?

I don't ****ing get it. We have a healthy amount of cap room left and a huge void. Why did we pass up on a young kid who would have excelled with us on passing downs.

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-07-2012, 07:16 PM
We're talking about Xander's. He doesnt even know what a DT is.

doonwise
04-07-2012, 07:17 PM
There must be something we don't know. Perhaps he's facing suspension?

doonwise
04-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Also, why wouldn't the bears resign him for that paltry sum? Something doesn't add up...

TheReverend
04-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Everyone!

Quick!

Overreact!

DBroncos4life
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm not worried about DT's at all. John Fox is to DT's what Mike Shanahan is to RB's. They will get it figured out.

McDman
04-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Everyone!

Quick!

Overreact!

Rabble rabble rabble!!!!

Dr. Broncenstein
04-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Seriously. Change your tampon, subby.

SoCalBronco
04-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Nice work, old man.

WABronco
04-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Lol you guys are ****ing morons. Holy cow.

Punisher
04-07-2012, 07:37 PM
http://files.shroomery.org/files/07-49/674129448-ohnoes.gif

KevinJames
04-07-2012, 07:40 PM
The Orange Mane is hilarious when it comes to overreacting.

MABroncoFan
04-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Another guy TB looked at, Derek Landri, played for Fox in Carolina. Would seem to be a good rotational DT ... not sure if we've expressed any interest.

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 07:44 PM
We're talking about Xander's. He doesnt even know what a DT is.

Xanders??? How much input do you think he actually has in the process?

baja
04-07-2012, 07:52 PM
little surprised at this one. But like others said. It sounds to good a deal to be true so there is something we likely don't know on this. Maybe they have a trade worked out in principal with some team for a stud DT?

Mogulseeker
04-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Yeah, all this for a very average player.

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 07:54 PM
They must love the guys they have on the roster already and feel confident about who they can get in the draft. Remember, they traded Gaffney for Jarmon one for one. Jarmon is their guy.

KevinJames
04-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Mad about a guy that wouldn't even start.... hes a rotational player more like a nickel DT we already have that in Robert Ayers.

Why is everyone so mad.

DBroncos4life
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Mad about a guy that wouldn't even start.... hes a rotational player more like a nickel DT we already have that in Robert Ayers.

Why is everyone so mad.

I bet we could land Fat Albert for half that. I thought he played OK for the Bucs at the end of the year.

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Why is everyone so mad.

Remind me about how great Denver's nickle D was last year.

Bmore Manning
04-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I bet we could land Fat Albert for half that. I thought he played OK for the Bucs at the end of the year.

Agreed. Although I'm not sure what motivates him anymore... He and Rogers wouldn't break my heart to try to win a Lombardi.

KevinJames
04-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Remind me about how great Denver's nickle D was last year.

top 5 in lowest 3rd down conversion % rate

thats pretty good IMO.

DBroncos4life
04-07-2012, 08:21 PM

thats pretty good IMO.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

MVP-06
04-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Maybe he wanted to play in Tampa over Denver. Not always just a $ thing

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 08:27 PM

thats pretty good IMO.

Really?

OBF1
04-07-2012, 08:28 PM
The sky is falling.... ruuuuunnnnnn

Mogulseeker
04-07-2012, 08:29 PM

thats pretty good IMO.

BURN!

DBroncos4life
04-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Really?

You don't think being in the top 5 is good?

Mogulseeker
04-07-2012, 08:33 PM
We'll get Michael Brockers or Dontari Poe.

That plus Vickerson, Jarmon, Warren and maybe McBean and Unrein is a rotation.

Probably a mid-rounder, too.

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 08:39 PM
You don't think being in the top 5 is good?

That "really" sounded smartass, but it wasn't meant to be. I was questioning if that was really true. And that sounds smartass also, just questioning.

Shananahan
04-07-2012, 08:43 PM
That plus Vickerson, Jarmon, Warren and maybe McBean and Unrein is a rotation.
Six guys named Steve would also be a rotation.

lonestar
04-07-2012, 08:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7787701/2012-nfl-free-agency-tampa-bay-buccaneers-agree-amobi-okoye-source-says

Bucs nabbed him for a cheap as **** deal with ZERO risk. This was linked in another thread but I'd like more discussion on it.

Apparently it's $2 mill, though if that's the case I'll be appalled that our FO couldn't match.

I'm ****ing livid right now. We still have pleanty of cap room and we couldn't pony up for say 3 ****ing million on a 24 (25 this year) year old who had over 20 QB pressures and played the second most snaps on the bears interior D-line?

I don't ****ing get it. We have a healthy amount of cap room left and a huge void. Why did we pass up on a young kid who would have excelled with us on passing downs.

Ever thought that even 3 mil might have been about the same as 2 mil would be in FL.. Since FL, TX, NV and IIRC OR are states that do not collect state income tax.. it may have been a wash money wise and frankly the weather in TPA is a hell of a lot better than DEN can be in the winter..

DBroncos4life
04-07-2012, 08:46 PM
That "really" sounded smartass, but it wasn't meant to be. I was questioning if that was really true. And that sounds smartass also, just questioning.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

We finished 6th allowing 33.5 %

GoHAM
04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
There is a reason why he is on his 3rd team in 3 years.

lonestar
04-07-2012, 09:00 PM

most likely 4 in 4 years after this contract..

But having some one with a pulse until the draftees figure out where the practice field is would not hurt either..

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/position/defense

We finished 6th allowing 33.5 %

But that's not nickle D, that's just overall. Denver was 20th allowing rushing first downs, and I'm thinking that was because of the nickle D.

Archer81
04-07-2012, 09:15 PM
There is a plan.

Step 1. Ignore DT's. Step 2. Something happens. Step 3: Profit.

:Broncos:

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 09:30 PM
There is a plan.

Step 1. Ignore DT's. Step 2. Something happens. Step 3: Profit.

:Broncos:

I guess they do have a plan, and they're smarter than I am so we'll see how it works out. They've assembled a pretty nice coaching staff.

BroncoMan4ever
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
people need to chill the **** out. we have John Fox and Del Rio taking care of the defense. these are guys who took a bad defense to number 1 in the rankings in a single season. i think they know what they're doing.

theAPAOps5
04-07-2012, 09:41 PM

WHO CARES! WE HAVE TO SIGN SOMEONE TO MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BETTER.

Broncojef
04-07-2012, 09:48 PM
When we trade up to draft a stud WR and RB this board will go ballistic :wiggle:

lonestar
04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
people need to chill the **** out. we have John Fox and Del Rio taking care of the defense. these are guys who took a bad defense to number 1 in the rankings in a single season. i think they know what they're doing.

yes they have but then they also had horses to help them..

IIRC both had pretty damned good DT's on those teams..

lonestar
04-07-2012, 09:52 PM
When we trade up to draft a stud WR and RB this board will go ballistic :wiggle:

count me as part of those who will..

razorwire77
04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Announcer: "Mane you just signed Peyton Manning."

Mane Poster: http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/BI/crying-baby-0509-lg.jpg

Announcer: Mane your front office didn't sign an underachieving rotational lineman

Mane Poster: http://www.baby-pictures.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Newborn-Baby-Crying-480x320.jpg

Heyneck
04-07-2012, 10:50 PM

none... he is the coffee run guy!...

cutthemdown
04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
It's funny how often everyone around here complains. Broncos are going to wait and see who shakes free after the draft in FA. Guys like Bunkley and Okye will probably just be journymen from now on. Elway being smart because he knows he can get scrubs later. No reason to pay for them.

I'm sure Broncos have a plan. People don't realize how much better the secondary is going to be. That with our pass rush, and scoring more points is going to make a 3-4 game difference from last yr.

cutthemdown
04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Obviously Broncos like a healthy Vickerson and Warren more then people realize.

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 11:14 PM
It's funny how often everyone around here complains. Broncos are going to wait and see who shakes free after the draft in FA. Guys like Bunkley and Okye will probably just be journymen from now on. Elway being smart because he knows he can get scrubs later. No reason to pay for them.

I'm sure Broncos have a plan. People don't realize how much better the secondary is going to be. That with our pass rush, and scoring more points is going to make a 3-4 game difference from last yr.

That's a nice plan if Peyton can throw harder than Chad Pennington. Peyton won't be playing indoors in the IndyDome eight home games a year anymore. He'll be playing with crosswinds, rain, and snow eight home games a year.

SureShot
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
That's a nice plan if Peyton can throw harder than Chad Pennington. Peyton won't be playing indoors in the IndyDome eight home games a year anymore. He'll be playing with crosswinds, rain, and snow eight home games a year.

You don't go to many home games do you?

Broncos_OTM
04-07-2012, 11:47 PM

Yeah cause all he does is orders pizzas. *shakes head*

Broncos_OTM
04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Does anyone ever pay attention. We have cap space but we also wanted to only spend up to our budgeted cap space. What is so hard to get about that. Sure we want to spend pats millions but face it. You cant

Cito Pelon
04-08-2012, 12:00 AM
You don't go to many home games do you?

Peyton won't be playing eight home games a year at a constant 70 degrees, zero wind, 40% humidity. He'll be playing eight home games a year at Mile High. Big difference.

Broncos_OTM
04-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Peyton won't be playing eight home games a year at a constant 70 degrees, zero wind, 40% humidity. He'll be playing eight home games a year at Mile High. Big difference.

A selling point to peyton this year was fox, I think pointing out to manning over the course of500 some games played in Denver average temp was 60 degrees.

Cito Pelon
04-08-2012, 12:22 AM
A selling point to peyton this year was fox, I think pointing out to manning over the course of500 some games played in Denver average temp was 60 degrees.

Yeah, well let's see how he does when it's 40 degrees and the air is so dry he has to lick his fingers to get a grip on the ball. Let's see how he does when there's a 10 mph crosswind trying to make a long precision pass. He'll be playing at Mile High now, this is a whole different world than the Indy dome eight games a year.

canadianbroncosfan
04-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Wait a FA didn't sign here? Must be our stupid FO's fault, I'm sure it was all them not wanting to pony up the cash for him.

Does it ever occur to everyone whining about player's signing elsewhere, that maybe the players wanted to sign elsewhere?

I know we all love our Broncos but that doesn't mean every player in the league absolutely wants to go here.

fontaine
04-08-2012, 02:17 AM
The Bengals were interested in him too. There must have been something else that prevented this guy from being signed early on.

Reports out of Tampa suggest that he would have gotten significant playing time there so maybe that's what convinced him to sign there.

serious hops
04-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Book it-- one of the reasons we're saving cap space is because the FO isn't done trying to acquire a stud veteran RB. Most likely Jonathon Stewart. Maybe we take a DT like Worthy or Still at 25, but IMO we most likely grab another prototypical Fox OL like Mike Adams or Cordy Glenn. Then target a gap-control tackle like Mike Martin-- or Ta'amu if he's available-- with our second pick, and trade our third (plus potential change) for Stewart.

Drek
04-08-2012, 03:20 AM
They must love the guys they have on the roster already and feel confident about who they can get in the draft. Remember, they traded Gaffney for Jarmon one for one. Jarmon is their guy.

So "their guy" is someone they cut last year and never brought off the practice squad even after Warren and Vickerson hit IR?

The Bengals were interested in him too. There must have been something else that prevented this guy from being signed early on.

Reports out of Tampa suggest that he would have gotten significant playing time there so maybe that's what convinced him to sign there.

He wouldn't get significant playing time here?

Just means the FO needs to resolve DT strong in the draft. Del Rio has a history of finding good DTs so we'll see just what they can come up with.

As for Okoye in particular, I'm assuming the FO offered basically vet minimum to him, Bannan, and Thomas with the viewpoint that they only need one to take it and they'll draft a couple DTs. I like Okoye best out of the bunch and think we could definitely use to add Bannan plus Okoye or Thomas, but the FO clearly doesn't want to commit any real money to DT this off-season outside the draft. We'll see how it pays off for them. If Del Rio can find us a couple Terrance Knightons then we're laughing all the way to the bank.

serious hops
04-08-2012, 03:26 AM
I'm not going to argue whether Okoye would be a better option, but the fact is we really need a one-technique to hold the point more than we need another guy to play the three-tech. Warren, McBean and Vickerson all play the three. We need an anchor-down tackle, which is why Soliai is the other guy we wanted besides Bunkley.

McDman
04-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Please, just DO NOT draft Poe.

Bacchus
04-08-2012, 04:42 AM

LMAO.... chill. All upset because Denver did not sign Okoya? LOL

Okoya has nothing, he plays soft. Denver needs to draft a DT in round one and possibly round two.

errand
04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Everyone keeps talking about cap space.....just because the team is "allowed" to spend it, doesn't mean they "have to" or "want to" spend it.

If Okoye was all that, he'd have kept by the Bears.....especially with the addition of Marshall, imagine Cutler and BMarsh having a great D supporting them?

errand
04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Yeah, well let's see how he does when it's 40 degrees and the air is so dry he has to lick his fingers to get a grip on the ball. Let's see how he does when there's a 10 mph crosswind trying to make a long precision pass. He'll be playing at Mile High now, this is a whole different world than the Indy dome eight games a year.

Yeah, because he's never had play in cold venues like pittsburgh, denver, NY or foxboro, cleveland, cincinnati or buffalo before.......

CEH
04-08-2012, 07:18 AM
I thought TB drafted two high first round picks the last couple years to play DT. Plus the great Hanyesworth last year, Why would they need a journeyman like Okoye. Seems to me reading this board two high first round picks is the solution to everything right. Oh yeah Okoye was also a high first round pick. TB could actually be the model franchise for why not to draft DTs high. Don't they have like 4-5 first/second round picks on their Dline.

Maybe it was just coaching but last in the league in defense is not a good thing. 28th in rushing last in points allowed

uplink
04-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Yeah, on a good day he gets to decide if thick or thin crust when the offices order lunch out.

Rohirrim
04-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Winna, winna, chicken dinna!

jonny1
04-08-2012, 07:40 AM

Manning won the SB (and MVP) in the rain, as I recall.

CEH
04-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Manning won the SB (and MVP) in the rain, as I recall.

He also beat Denver in a must win for Denver late in the '03 or 04 season in a snow storm on Sunday Night.

Manning can play in any weather. Odds are he'll have good weather for 8-10 games a year

Smilin Assassin
04-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Wait a FA didn't sign here? Must be our stupid FO's fault, I'm sure it was all them not wanting to pony up the cash for him.

Does it ever occur to everyone whining about player's signing elsewhere, that maybe the players wanted to sign elsewhere?

I know we all love our Broncos but that doesn't mean every player in the league absolutely wants to go here.

It also doesn't mean the Broncos absolutely wanted to sign him. (Not at that price anyways)

Just because they bring him in, doesn't mean they are going to go all out to get him under contract. I'm sure if they felt he was exactly what we needed at DT, they could have matched $2Mil for a yr.

EmpireOrange
04-08-2012, 08:58 AM

Shut the fack up, douche bag.

Drek
04-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm not going to argue whether Okoye would be a better option, but the fact is we really need a one-technique to hold the point more than we need another guy to play the three-tech. Warren, McBean and Vickerson all play the three. We need an anchor-down tackle, which is why Soliai is the other guy we wanted besides Bunkley.
Well the original starting DTs were supposed to be Warren and Vickerson, prior to their injuries, and Warren was replaced by Bunkley so it seems the intent was to have Warren play the 1 tech, at least last year.

Vickerson also said that he was told he'd play 1 tech or 3 tech depending on the team's needs in an interview last season, so he's obviously flexible in the FO's eyes.

Also, 1 tech guys can be successfully fished out of the later rounds if you coach them up right. Del Rio has a track record of doing just that.

The two big weaknesses we have on the DL as I see it are 1. the lack of any real interior pass rush and 2. the lack of every down level talent at DT. Our DTs are the football equivalent of a baseball bullpen full of LOOGYs and ROOGYs. Lot of one dimensional guys you need to rotate in and out all day. #2 is a hard one to fix, but you can address #1 early with a UT in round 1 or 2 and maybe you hit on the right guy and he also takes care of problem #2 for you along the way.

Now if Brockers falls to us in the first I'd be game for that. He could use further development, but I'd put that faith in Del Rio and company. Brockers is a great NT type in a 4-3 front. Might break the LSU defensive line jinx too, as he'll be one of the few who isn't drafted into a different role from what he played in college. The Chiefs have turned both Tyson Jackson (4-3 end in colelge) and Glenn Dorsey (4-3 DT in college) into 3-4 ends. If we had Brockers he'd play a very similar role to what he did in college.

rugbythug
04-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I can't believe the Broncos Passed on okoye. He is at least 1% better than anybody else that is unsigned! What will we ever do with out him not playing 20% of the time!

Lestat
04-08-2012, 09:07 AM
this to me being this close to the draft means that they're comfortable enough with the prospects on the board that they would rather draft a guy than to potentially fork over money to a guy they're not sold on.

i wanted Okoye(i still want him signed) but i get the feeling that their board is pretty much set and they have a plan to get their guy or guys in the draft.

broncocalijohn
04-08-2012, 09:19 AM

I take it you re not from denver. Please explain these horrid conditions that Mile high is famous for? Ranks up there with Green Bay and Chicago. GTFO! I think average temperature t beginning of all games have been in the 60s. GTFO again!

Play2win
04-08-2012, 09:26 AM
If the only thing Denver did in this offseason, including the draft, was get Manning, then count me beyond happy. Everything else is just bonus. :thumbsup:

houghtam
04-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Just out of curiosity, where are the "you sign anyone who can upgrade the position because any upgrade gets you closer to a Super Bowl" people?

oubronco
04-08-2012, 11:09 AM
They are going to draft a couple DT's

RunSilentRunDeep
04-08-2012, 11:44 AM
So Houston cut Okoye to save $2.9M, he was then greeted by crickets, finally signing with the Bears for $1.3M with no signing bonus. He's greeted by crickets again this offseason and people still think he's worth $3-5M per year? I'll takes Xanders over the Mane every day of the week.

BTW, don't expect Jarmon to play DT regardless of how some intern updated the depth chart on the team site. Jarmon was brought in to backup Ayers last season but switched to DT after all the injuries. Trying to catch up at a new position was possibly what cost him a roster spot last season. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he makes the team.

BroncoDoug
04-08-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.teluglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/torch-pitchfork.jpg

get em ready

Hamrob
04-08-2012, 12:20 PM
All I've got to say is this:

If we suck up the middle again this year and can't get pressure with our front four....then, the broncos have failed yet again (regardless of Manning)!

Letting Bunkley walk was/is mind boggling. We finally get a DT who can penetrate, and we let him walk.

I like the depth at DT in the draft...but, to think a #25 pick is going to come in and start successffully at DT is ridiculous!

DenverBrit
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM

It doesn't take much to turn you into a full fledged Drama Queen with PMS.

rugbythug
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM

If we suck up the middle again this year and can't get pressure with our front four....then, the broncos have failed yet again (regardless of Manning)!

Letting Bunkley walk was/is mind boggling. We finally get a DT who can penetrate, and we let him walk.

I like the depth at DT in the draft...but, to think a #25 pick is going to come in and start successffully at DT is ridiculous!

Bunkley did not penetrate, Ever. Ask his wife.

Agamemnon
04-08-2012, 01:05 PM
It is disturbing to see yet another DT sign with someone else, while we presently have nothing at the position, but the OP is kind of being ridiculous. Okoye isn't that good.

Agamemnon
04-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Bunkley couldn't penetrate. What are you talking about? He was a lane clogger, not a penetrator.

pricejj
04-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Okoye is a single dude, who is Nigerian. He still lives in Houston. Something tells me his was more a lifestyle decision than a football decision. Not too many Nigerian women/Africans in Denver. I didn't expect him to sign here.

Chris
04-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Bunkley couldn't penetrate. What are you talking about? He was a lane clogger, not a penetrator.

And here we have the definition of the Eiffel tower.

Lestat
04-08-2012, 02:05 PM

5 years, 25 mil and 9 mil guaranteed is why he's not a Bronco.
no way in hell would i pay him that much coming off one good season in a contract year. now if he was 90 tackles,10.5 sacks & a pro bowler then maybe. but that's not his game and he's not the type you pay that type of money to without a consistent history.

and he couldn't penetrate the open mouth of a trailer trash hooker.

Rolandftw
04-08-2012, 02:12 PM
It's going to be funny when the front office doesn't address DT until the 6th round of the draft.

SoCalBronco
04-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Okoye is a single dude, who is Nigerian. He still lives in Houston. Something tells me his was more a lifestyle decision than a football decision. Not too many Nigerian women/Africans in Denver. I didn't expect him to sign here.

Not sure if serious...

TonyR
04-08-2012, 02:19 PM

I think the main reason he didn't sign in Denver is that they either didn't even offer him a contract or they offered the vet minimum, most likely the former.

TonyR
04-08-2012, 02:22 PM
no way in hell would i pay him that much coming off one good season in a contract year. now if he was 90 tackles,10.5 sacks & a pro bowler then maybe. but that's not his game and he's not the type you pay that type of money to without a consistent history.

Agree. Wish we could have kept him but not at that price.

eddie mac
04-08-2012, 02:27 PM
4 pages over missing out on a guy who was a bust in Houston and a rotational player the Bears never made any real effort to bring him back???

SoCalBronco
04-08-2012, 02:30 PM
4 pages over missing out on a guy who was a bust in Houston and a rotational player the Bears never made any real effort to bring him back???

I think its more that our current DT rotation is arguably just as bad as 2007 and 2008 and people would kind of like to see something done about it outside of drafting a 21 year old kid.

It doesnt help much to have a great passing game if they are only on the field 20-25 mins a game because they're eating the clock running right up the middle at scrubs the whole game.

Seriously, Amon Gordon and Jimmy Kennedy would have a strong chance to start on this line.

Man-Goblin
04-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Bunkley played 40% of the snaps last year. It hurt to lose him, but it didn't hurt that bad. 9 million guaranteed was ridiculous for him.

And for those wanting the Broncos to draft two DTs this year and finally get some young talent at the position, you better hope they don't sign any free agent tackles. Roster numbers don't add up with Warren and Vickerson locks to make the team.

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I think why most people are upset is because the Broncos are so thin at the DT position and they have the cap space to sign at least one FA DT. It appears they really are not interested in signing any FA DTs and that means they are putting all the eggs in one basket--the draft.

That being said, this is what we said last year too and look what happened. I'm just gonna go ahead and ASSume that EFX has a plan.

Lestat
04-08-2012, 03:29 PM
i think the issue for all fans is that we have ignored what Elway said his goals were. which was to build the team through the draft. you see guys like Mebane,Franklin,Jenkins,Soliai get snapped up for far less than expected and you have the cap space to address arguably the worst position on the team... it tends to get folks riled up.

but Elway has said numerous times that he wanted to build through the draft and turn this team into a dynasty so it's not shocking that he's not spending a ton, but semi annoying since they could.

couple that with passing on DT all together in the last draft and it's the perfect storm.

Doggcow
04-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I think why most people are upset is because the Broncos are so thin at the DT position and they have the cap space to sign at least one FA DT. It appears they really are not interested in signing any FA DTs and that means they are putting all the eggs in one basket--the draft.

That being said, this is what we said last year too and look what happened. I'm just gonna go ahead and ASSume that EFX has a plan.

If we make a leap like last year (from 2nd in the draft, to 25th in the draft) I'll be happy, as we only have to go 7 spots instead of 23.

Br0nc0Buster
04-08-2012, 05:35 PM
we dont need more backups, we have those in Warren, McBean, and Vickerson

we need starter talent

We will see what happens in the draft, but adding Okoye to a group of depth players does not really provide any sort of significant upgrade since he is a depth player himself

This is why we are not bringing back Thomas, and prolly wont sign anyone else before the draft

luckily for us there are several guys in this draft that can help out in a rotation immediately while having the talent to become quality starters

Eldorado
04-08-2012, 06:52 PM

I am 100% sure somebody else laughed at this too, but this is as far as I got in the thread.

So: LLLLLOOOolloolllooollollolloololololoolololoollolo loloolololololololol

broncswin
04-08-2012, 07:22 PM

I didn't think it sounded smart ass at all..people are too sensitive around here..I knew what you meant.

barryr
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, where are the "you sign anyone who can upgrade the position because any upgrade gets you closer to a Super Bowl" people?

I guess it only counts for QB's. Meanwhile the Broncos should keep guys like Goodman and McBean since they are bound to get better and key pieces to a Super Bowl.

Hamrob
04-08-2012, 08:32 PM

and he couldn't penetrate the open mouth of a trailer trash hooker.I think you guys have it all wrong! A church mouse could get more penetration than our DT's the last 10yrs. Bunkley is the best we've had in a long, long, time and we let him walk. For what? Who do we have???

pricejj
04-08-2012, 09:12 PM
I think you guys have it all wrong! A church mouse could get more penetration than our DT's the last 10yrs. Bunkley is the best we've had in a long, long, time and we let him walk. For what? Who do we have???

The Broncos are forced to go UT with their #1 pick in the draft now.

Vickerson sucks.
McBean is suspended.
Thomas gets no sacks, and isn't even on the team.

Good luck depending on a rookie to bring all the penetration and sacks...last time I checked Ndamukong Suh wasn't going to be available at #25.

...Oh, and good luck finding a starting UT for less than $2M per year EFX, the idiot kicker makes more than that.

MABroncoFan
04-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Cross another off the list ...

Brian McIntyre‏@brian_mcintyreReply

#Eagles Agree To Terms With DT Derek Landri http://tinyurl.com/6mxjroo #NFL

eddie mac
04-09-2012, 08:01 AM
I think you guys have it all wrong! A church mouse could get more penetration than our DT's the last 10yrs. Bunkley is the best we've had in a long, long, time and we let him walk. For what? Who do we have???

Bunkley only penetrates his woman. No pass rush skills whatsoever strictly a run defender.

bendog
04-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Bunkley only penetrates his woman. No pass rush skills whatsoever strictly a run defender.

Pretty much. Okoye was described as a passing rush DT. I'm not sure what that means unless it's a comment upon his run defense. I just don't think any team is going to find any pocket collapsing DTs in free agency. There's no lack of fatties on the market, but getting excited about who they find or don't find in FA is pretty .... well, unexciting.

Bacchus
04-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Pretty much. Okoye was described as a passing rush DT. I'm not sure what that means unless it's a comment upon his run defense. I just don't think any team is going to find any pocket collapsing DTs in free agency. There's no lack of fatties on the market, but getting excited about who they find or don't find in FA is pretty .... well, unexciting.

Yeah, I agree. No need in Denver signing a big name that has been underachieving and on his 3rd team in three years. Denver has the depth right now. Can they find a starter in the draft? That will be the big question. DT are so hit and miss in the draft nothing is a sure thing.

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I take it you re not from denver. Please explain these horrid conditions that Mile high is famous for? Ranks up there with Green Bay and Chicago. GTFO! I think average temperature t beginning of all games have been in the 60s. GTFO again!

GTFO if you think playing at Mile High is as ideal as playing in the Indy dome. Are you nuts?

Requiem
04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Everyone overreacted here. Especially the OP. JOKE.

bendog
04-09-2012, 12:15 PM
GTFO if you think playing at Mile High is as ideal as playing in the Indy dome. Are you nuts?

I may be wrong, but the only dome teams I recall winning a Lombardi in recent time was NO (which beat indy) and Indy. If my goal is a Lombardi, I'd think dome is not necessarily a drawing

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
i think the issue for all fans is that we have ignored what Elway said his goals were. which was to build the team through the draft. you see guys like Mebane,Franklin,Jenkins,Soliai get snapped up for far less than expected and you have the cap space to address arguably the worst position on the team... it tends to get folks riled up.

but Elway has said numerous times that he wanted to build through the draft and turn this team into a dynasty so it's not shocking that he's not spending a ton, but semi annoying since they could.

couple that with passing on DT all together in the last draft and it's the perfect storm.

Yeah, they could have signed some FA DT's but really I think they low-balled the offers, didn't want to pay market value. Now, market value may seem inflated but by signing an FA DT they could have given themselves more options in the draft.

Also, with the cap expected to leap way up in the next few years, paying market value this year would not be so bad.

We'll see what the plan is and how it works out. Could be kind of ugly.

UberBroncoMan
04-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Everyone overreacted here. Especially the OP. JOKE.

Wut

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I may be wrong, but the only dome teams I recall winning a Lombardi in recent time was NO (which beat indy) and Indy. If my goal is a Lombardi, I'd think dome is not necessarily a drawing

Well, I have to admit I was taking my butt-hurt Teboner Peyton-bashing to an extreme. Looking at his career splits:

Home - 76-28 record, 65.4% completion, 206 TD, 89 INT, 7.73 Y/A
Away - 65-39 record, 64.5% completion, 193 TD, 109 INT, 7.48 Y/A

He actually has more total yards passing on the road because of more total passing attempts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/splits//

bendog
04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, I have to admit I was taking my butt-hurt Teboner Peyton-bashing to an extreme. Looking at his career splits:

Home - 76-28 record, 65.4% completion, 206 TD, 89 INT, 7.73 Y/A
Away - 65-39 record, 64.5% completion, 193 TD, 109 INT, 7.48 Y/A

He actually has more total yards passing on the road because of more total passing attempts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00/splits//

I wasn't disagreeing. I really don't see that a guy like Harrison puts up HOF numbers on grass. He made cuts. Clark too. We bag on Indy's defense, but with Freeney and Reagor, they had qb pressure, and Sanders injured himself because really he was a cover safety trying to play like John Lynch. Indy and Nola passed the crap out of the ball.

It's just that I get the feeling that dome/no-dome wasn't really a factor for him. It's pretty obvious that he loved playing for Fulmer and Cutliff, and that is an amazing stadium holding over 100k in setting that doesn't compare badly to Colo.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Ah, you said this....

Dont backtrack on this post. Denver is far from Chicago, Green Bay and New England. I like you man, but you are crazy, Man.(Beantown, add Old School/Will Ferrell clip here).

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Ah, you said this....

Dont backtrack on this post. Denver is far from Chicago, Green Bay and New England. I like you man, but you are crazy, Man.(Beantown, add Old School/Will Ferrell clip here).

I won't backtrack on the post. Playing outdoors at Mile High is a lot different than the constant conditions in the Indy dome.

Agamemnon
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM

We've signed all kinds of free agents since Elway took over. You're not making any sense.

errand
04-10-2012, 05:55 PM
People b****ing about a QB that wins 63% of his road games?

rugbythug
06-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Okoye Just got his knee scoped.

DENVERDUI55
06-13-2012, 07:29 AM

Well O mane experts were saying this guy was a steal. I guess NFL GM's know what they are doing.

Drek
06-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Well O mane experts were saying this guy was a steal. I guess NFL GM's know what they are doing.

1. he's expected to be ready for training camp.

2. he's still better at getting after the passer than any DT on our roster to this point.

3. he's also still young has hell.

Still dumb that we didn't sign him for how little the Bucs landed him for.

Kaylore
06-13-2012, 07:49 AM

This is Bowlen's fault somehow...not sure exactly how, but SoCal will be along to tell us about it.

Powderaddict
06-13-2012, 08:23 AM

2. he's still better at getting after the passer than any DT on our roster to this point.

How do you know they didn't try but he didn't want to come to Denver?

Rabb
06-13-2012, 08:33 AM

normally love your takes Drek, but I just don't see how anyone can say this right now...we simply don't know this

Drek
06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
normally love your takes Drek, but I just don't see how anyone can say this right now...we simply don't know this

He got 4 sacks as a part time player last season.

That's 4 more than every other DT we have got at the NFL level in 2011.

So how can't we know this?

Its entirely possible that Wolfe or Warren is a better pass rusher, but for only $2M Okoye would have been a nice, young, insurance play. The chance he's not better than Garland or Unrein are pretty damn slim.

How do you know they didn't try but he didn't want to come to Denver?
Sure. A 26 year old DT took a 1 year, $2M deal to play for a team with more DT depth but a weaker overall roster instead of coming to a team with a stronger overall roster, a bigger need for DTs, and one of his friends from his college team as a star DE he'd be lining up with.

I'm sure that offering 1 year, $2.1M would have gotten Okoye here.

Powderaddict
06-13-2012, 09:10 AM
He got 4 sacks as a part time player last season.

That's 4 more than every other DT we have got at the NFL level in 2011.

So how can't we know this?

Its entirely possible that Wolfe or Warren is a better pass rusher, but for only $2M Okoye would have been a nice, young, insurance play. The chance he's not better than Garland or Unrein are pretty damn slim.

Sure. A 26 year old DT took a 1 year, $2M deal to play for a team with more DT depth but a weaker overall roster instead of coming to a team with a stronger overall roster, a bigger need for DTs, and one of his friends from his college team as a star DE he'd be lining up with.

I'm sure that offering 1 year, $2.1M would have gotten Okoye here.

Well you know a lot more about his motivations than I do.

For all I know he might just like playing in the south better. Guys can have a ton of other motivations than we know about.

And what is this, his 3rd team in 3 years? If he showed that much potential I'd imagine one of those teams would have locked him up. An effective, penetrating DT isn't usually allowed to just walk like that.

If I had to guess, the FO wasn't all that impressed and wanted to go another direction. And I don't really blame them.

BroncoBen
06-13-2012, 09:14 AM

And how many times in the past have we heard about a player being 'ready' for training camp or the regular season. Once you open a knee up, seems that player has problems.

Drek
06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
And how many times in the past have we heard about a player being 'ready' for training camp or the regular season. Once you open a knee up, seems that player has problems.

Scopes are a pretty regular operation at this point for any pro athlete.

DENVERDUI55
08-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Hmm where are all the front office bashers now?

UberBroncoMan
09-01-2012, 02:20 AM
/shrug

He wanted to be a Bear again and now he is thanks to a few hurts.

I still think the kid could have been something, but people like Malik have made me forget about him.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 02:32 AM
/shrug

He wanted to be a Bear again and now he is thanks to a few hurts.

I still think the kid could have been something, but people like Malik have made me forget about him.

He plays soft, nothing special.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Hmm where are all the front office bashers now?

Of they are out there being stupid just waiting for something to whine about.
Sleeping it off and when they wake up and see the cuts we made they will be hot and heavy whining about one of the favs that was judged by real professionals to not be what we want or need in the direction we are headed.

They will whine about that also.

To many kiddies that grew up learning football from madden instead of playing it..

Armchair coaches and GMs because they can play FF..

Let the pissing, moaning, whining begin.

Ahahahahahahaha

Drek
09-01-2012, 04:04 AM
He plays soft, nothing special.

He hits QBs when used in the right role. The FO decided to draft for that need instead and so far (while VERY early) seems to have done well.

Still have holes to fill on the depth chart at MANY positions.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 04:17 AM
He hits QBs when used in the right role. The FO decided to draft for that need instead and so far (while VERY early) seems to have done well.

:thumbs:

After a Decade of piss poor DAFTS and questionable at best UFA acquisitions, we were pretty much bereft of talent save for a couple of spots. As for DEPTH nothing but third string players. In some cases even the starters would never start on any other team..

Hell our defense from 08. Only 3 started the next year for us and of the other 8 none started for another team and most were not even on an active squad in 09.
That is what happens when you HC does not have a clue about defense..

Which frankly makes no sense since he was a wizard at dissecting them as a OC/HC. simple reverse engineering would have made that simple.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 04:32 AM

I think the Broncos are going to bring in 1 possible two OL.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 04:51 AM
I think the Broncos are going to bring in 1 possible two OL.

Not so sure other than another OT backup World be necessary save perhaps if they do not think they can or will resign Mr Holding (clady), then they may wish to try to two.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 05:02 AM
With Peyton at QB Clady can hold away. NO SACKS THIS YEAR!!!

With Tebow, Orton, Cutler and even Plummer holding calls were very hard to overcome. They were drive killers everytime even on first down. With Manning he'll overcome a 1st and 20 and get the first down. Just do not let him get hit!!

lonestar
09-01-2012, 05:58 AM

With Tebow, Orton, Cutler and even Plummer holding calls were very hard to overcome. They were drive killers everytime even on first down. With Manning he'll overcome a 1st and 20 and get the first down. Just do not let him get hit!!

Me id rather have an OT that does not need to do so..

not so sure he has ever gotten better after his knee issues still think it has not healed well..

lonestar
09-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Me id rather have an OT that does not need to do so..

not so sure he has ever gotten better after his knee issues still think it has not healed well..

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 10:29 AM

After a Decade of piss poor DAFTS and questionable at best UFA acquisitions, we were pretty much bereft of talent save for a couple of spots. As for DEPTH nothing but third string players. In some cases even the starters would never start on any other team..

Hell our defense from 08. Only 3 started the next year for us and of the other 8 none started for another team and most were not even on an active squad in 09.

Which frankly makes no sense since he was a wizard at dissecting them as a OC/HC. simple reverse engineering would have made that simple.

Wait a minute cowboy. Dem are fightin' words for SoCal.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Wait a minute cowboy. Dem are fightin' words for SoCal.

Bring him on. Anyone that thinks Tanahan has a clue about defenses for his team should be easy meat.

gunns
09-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Bring him on. Anyone that thinks Tanahan has a clue about defenses for his team should be easy meat.

Absolutely. Words we had to live by.

menonite
09-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Do you ever shut the **** up about Mike Shanahan?

lonestar
09-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Do you ever shut the **** up about Mike Shanahan?

No should I ?

Until everyone understands that he did not walk on water "it is my lot in life"..

While I loved his getting us a couple of rings he wore out his welcome with me afte looking at all those wasted day one DAFT choices (rounds 1-3) and all the money blown on UFAs that caused tens of millions each year in dead cap space.

Money that could have been used on real talent had he been able to find it. Hell if he would have taken players that most of us had in mock drafts we would have been better off.

If you did not get the memo just 6 of 41 of his day one picks ever resigned with us. Those are the guys that most successful teams build their foundations of their teams with. But no Tanahan had to then turn around and blow the ret of the money on aging rentals most of which were a waste of time.

But go ahead show mikey love and continue to be stupid. No skins off my back.

ColoradoDarin
09-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Simple is simple! Why didn't 31 other coaches get that too? Thousands of assistants all wastin their time because, of course, it's simple!

Gcver2ver3
09-01-2012, 07:37 PM

wouldnt go that far but i do agree that i'd rather they hold then let manning get hit...