PDA

View Full Version : Best Websites to Book Online Flights?

Requiem
04-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Hey guys,

Looking to book a flight back home in about ~ 10 days and was wondering if any of you have used PriceLine, CheapOAir, Travelocity, etc.

Success stories?

Horror stories?

Each site has similar rates -- but was wondering if anyone ever had a problem with either.

THANK YOU!

TheReverend
04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm an expedia guy, but also check the specific airlines direct website too

Chris
04-07-2012, 02:16 PM
kayak.com aggregates all of those sites (expedia, travelocity, etc.)

seatguru.com

Requiem
04-07-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm an expedia guy, but also check the specific airlines direct website too

Good call, I'm flying Frontier. Last night flights were only 88 back home, but now they doubled up. I went to Frontier's website and found one for the 17th that works out well -- and with insurance was less than 100.

END THREAD. REV WINS.

canadianbroncosfan
04-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Expedia is what I always use.

Chris
Good call, I'm flying Frontier. Last night flights were only 88 back home, but now they doubled up. I went to Frontier's website and found one for the 17th that works out well -- and with insurance was less than 100.

END THREAD. REV WINS.

BLOWUSION

TheReverend

END THREAD. REV WINS.

I'm here to help, sweetheart

DENVERDUI55
04-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Specific websites usually are the cheapest but check them all anyway. Prices change often too.

prunch
04-07-2012, 02:41 PM
hipmunk.com by a mile

bowtown
04-07-2012, 02:46 PM
milewise.com is a great site, especially if you are trying to use miles.

lonestar
04-07-2012, 02:47 PM
depending on where you are going.. Southwest is the airline to fly..

If you have a problem (broken bones, doctors issues or flat change plans) their change ability is second to none.

they have zero "extra" fees..

and 2 bags fly free..

you may pay a bit more but it is worth it in the end..

Requiem
04-07-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm here to help, sweetheart

Done and done. $99.50 -- WIN!

Meck77
04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Kayak hands down. Find out which is the cheapest in seconds. Then book direct. *Southwest does not participate on kayak.

baja
04-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Kayak. If your dates are flexible they have a great search engine to find the best price.

Boobs McGee
04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Actually had a similar question....flying to Vegas at the end of the month, and southwest is the cheapest by far. My question is, where do you find promo codes? Searched last night, but found very little. Ideas?

theAPAOps5
04-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Kayak, anything else is a fart in the wind. Kayak searches all of them for you.

Meck77
04-07-2012, 03:44 PM
While we are on the subject. Anybody here work for an airline? Have friends or family that do? Looking to purchase flight benefits. Had a deal like this a couple years ago but they got laid off. Willing to pay good money!

theAPAOps5
04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Actually had a similar question....flying to Vegas at the end of the month, and southwest is the cheapest by far. My question is, where do you find promo codes? Searched last night, but found very little. Ideas?

Southwest doesn't do promo codes on the level of the other airlines. They also don't publish airfares on the search engines like Expedia, etc. What you see advertised on their site (and listed in a few other places) is what you will pay.

theAPAOps5
04-07-2012, 03:49 PM
While we are on the subject. Anybody here work for an airline? Have friends or family that do? Looking to purchase flight benefits. Had a deal like this a couple years ago but they got laid off. Willing to pay good money!

Used to myself but haven't had it in years. I was listed as a life partner

Jay3
04-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I used to use Expedia, but now I try to fly Southwest whenever I can (I love they way they run things and they are cheap). Southwest only goes through its own website.

lonestar
04-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I used to use Expedia, but now I try to fly Southwest whenever I can (I love they way they run things and they are cheap). Southwest only goes through its own website.

I believe in them to the point of buying their stock..

Have stock in 3 airlines old America West (US Air now) stock South West and Delta..

Would not buy stock in any other than the last two now....

They both know how to do business.. But SWA is in its own class when it comes to ease of use..

You are correct they only sell on the own web site and are smart for doing it that way, having complete control of their seats, pricing and can not blame anyone for misrepresenting them....

They are not always the cheapest in a given market but they will always take care of you..

Now that they have bought Air Trans things will be rocky for a while as they teach those employess the SWA way of doing business..

BTW Expedia is a good place to get a feel for pricing in the market your trying to fly..

Mogulseeker
04-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Frontier is awesome because of the TVs.

I was on flights during two Broncos games - the first was a Broncos win over the Titans, which I watched on TV on Frontier.

The other was the Texans game that Tebow came back to win. I was on Delta with free wifi and got the game off one of those stream sites that the FBI has since shut down.

GoHAM
04-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I took the family to Mexico for Christmas 2 years ago, and fanatically checked all the travel and airline sites, daily for a month. I finally found an awesome deal at Continental.com: 4 round trip tickets, Vail to Cancun, $1240 all said and done, with one 2 hr layover in Houston. Best deal ever. Next closest would have been $2200 with a much more circuitous route.

I use the bing travel search engine a ton and find it to be a helpful tool.

That One Guy
04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Random trivia for others browsing in the future - keep in mind that fares change depending on the day of the week. I read an article a while back and then had to buy some tickets so I tracked it and I want to say the fares were over $100 different if I bought somewhere from Tues-Thurs (can't remember the cheapest day) and the crazy part was it cycled so it wasn't just a timing thing. During the week it'd be cheaper, more expensive during the weekend, then back to cheaper during the week.

theAPAOps5
04-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Cheapest day to fly is Wednesday followed by Tuesday and Saturday.

Saturday is cheap because there is absolutely no business travel that day historically. Everyone wants to get home on Friday (making it a very expensive day) and then leave again on Monday (making that another very expensive day)

Jetmeck
04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Just a word of advice form an airline employee..............don't expect to always fly for cheap like what it would cost you just to drive.

The cheaper carriers pay their employees less on average and something most people don't know or want to think about is they have most of their maintenance outsourced and a lot of it done overseas.

Scary at least to me..............deregulation was a bad idea.

theAPAOps5
04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Deregulation was far from a bad idea. But that is a whole barrel of monkeys I don't care to litter his thread with. ;D

Also an opinion from an airport professional. But I think you are going overboard on the maintenance and outsourcing. Sound like a United Employee......:wiggle:

Que
04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Kayak even if you know the airline and flight you want. They will show where the cheapest place to buy it.

DENVERDUI55
04-08-2012, 11:24 AM

Agreed from an airline employee like myself. It was good for the average joes.

DENVERDUI55
04-08-2012, 11:27 AM

I do but my benefits are already taken.

lonestar
04-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Just a word of advice form an airline employee..............don't expect to always fly for cheap like what it would cost you just to drive.

The cheaper carriers pay their employees less on average and something most people don't know or want to think about is they have most of their maintenance outsourced and a lot of it done overseas.

NOw the other side of the coin. IMO deregulation was the only way that would have made airplanes available to the normal folks..

I remember the cost of flights before it happened only the rich and folks on business would fly anywhere..

Had it not been for that the aviation industry would not be what it is today..

Employers of millions of folks that work directly for the airlines, airport facilities and all the support that goes with them.. Air traffic control, fuelers hotels near airports would not be what they are today without it.

Stapleton would still be 2 concourses at best if not one..

Airfares would be in the thousands not hundreds.. Family air travel would not be cost-effective.. Prior to dereg they had to file fare changes and get them approved before they could offer them....

After there were no regs like that and changes were made daily if not hourly. With airlines matching and under cutting fares..

Low cost carriers forced the Biggies to become lean and mean.

As for maintenance the airlines are not stupid, they know that keeping a multi million dollar investment in the air is in their best interests..

Do some carriers cut costs sure but that is what this thread is all about.. someone looking for the cheapest way to get home..

Those cheapies will sooner or later merge or go out of business those are facts of life..

Even almighty American s in their knees again because they signed stupid contracts with their employees that can not be sustained..

Sorry but the t=ravel industry as we know it today would not be happening without deregulation.. most of y'all would be riding greyhounds.. or passenger trains going at 50 mph..

or God forbid more cars on the interstates having to stay in motels burning one hell of a lot more gasoline than flying does.. BTW think of all the extra deaths in accidents..

Think of what that means going home would take 2-4 days each direction spending a couple of days with family and burning your 2 week vacation on just that..

the cruise industry would be a lot smaller than it is as only those folks that live close enough to the ports would take them..

SOrry but I disagree with the premise tha deregulation was a bad thing..

Perhaps it could have been done better than it was, but like all government issues it was half assed..

I would have placed more teeth and inspectors in the FAA..and inspectors of those inspectors to make sure no one was taking bribes or short cuts..

I would have mandated that Air traffic control systems be kept more current than they have been..

From what I have been told that some of the technology was not replaced because by the time it was authorized it was two years old..

YEs they outsource some of their work but it make no sense to try to maintain your planes with the overhead cost you have when sending it to qualified facilities to get it done is more cost efficient as for hiring crews to load and off load planes outsourcing that is cheaper and keeps the airlines costs down..

and Yes some of those employees are paid less than the legacy airlines consider that as those companies being entry level employees..

No matter where you go all companies hire entry level folks and keep the ones they like and give them raises.. The ones the do not like they get rid of..

SOrry for the book but I thought that deregulation was a good thing..

Chris
04-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Basically, it's a brutal business for all involved.

broncocalijohn
04-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Frontier is awesome because of the TVs.

I was on flights during two Broncos games - the first was a Broncos win over the Titans, which I watched on TV on Frontier.

The other was the Texans game that Tebow came back to win. I was on Delta with free wifi and got the game off one of those stream sites that the FBI has since shut down.

Jetblue is same way. For me, I would rather go to Long Beach as most hate to got from OC to LAX. Fair prices too.

theAPAOps5
04-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Basically, it's a brutal business for all involved.

Want to know how to make a million as an airline? Spend a billion.....

Jetmeck
04-08-2012, 07:40 PM
NOw the other side of the coin. IMO deregulation was the only way that would have made airplanes available to the normal folks..

I remember the cost of flights before it happened only the rich and folks on business would fly anywhere..

Had it not been for that the aviation industry would not be what it is today..

Employers of millions of folks that work directly for the airlines, airport facilities and all the support that goes with them.. Air traffic control, fuelers hotels near airports would not be what they are today without it.

Stapleton would still be 2 concourses at best if not one..

Airfares would be in the thousands not hundreds.. Family air travel would not be cost-effective.. Prior to dereg they had to file fare changes and get them approved before they could offer them....

After there were no regs like that and changes were made daily if not hourly. With airlines matching and under cutting fares..

Low cost carriers forced the Biggies to become lean and mean.

As for maintenance the airlines are not stupid, they know that keeping a multi million dollar investment in the air is in their best interests..

Do some carriers cut costs sure but that is what this thread is all about.. someone looking for the cheapest way to get home..

Those cheapies will sooner or later merge or go out of business those are facts of life..

Even almighty American s in their knees again because they signed stupid contracts with their employees that can not be sustained..

Sorry but the t=ravel industry as we know it today would not be happening without deregulation.. most of y'all would be riding greyhounds.. or passenger trains going at 50 mph..

or God forbid more cars on the interstates having to stay in motels burning one hell of a lot more gasoline than flying does.. BTW think of all the extra deaths in accidents..

Think of what that means going home would take 2-4 days each direction spending a couple of days with family and burning your 2 week vacation on just that..

the cruise industry would be a lot smaller than it is as only those folks that live close enough to the ports would take them..

SOrry but I disagree with the premise tha deregulation was a bad thing..

Perhaps it could have been done better than it was, but like all government issues it was half assed..

I would have placed more teeth and inspectors in the FAA..and inspectors of those inspectors to make sure no one was taking bribes or short cuts..

I would have mandated that Air traffic control systems be kept more current than they have been..

From what I have been told that some of the technology was not replaced because by the time it was authorized it was two years old..

YEs they outsource some of their work but it make no sense to try to maintain your planes with the overhead cost you have when sending it to qualified facilities to get it done is more cost efficient as for hiring crews to load and off load planes outsourcing that is cheaper and keeps the airlines costs down..

and Yes some of those employees are paid less than the legacy airlines consider that as those companies being entry level employees..

No matter where you go all companies hire entry level folks and keep the ones they like and give them raises.. The ones the do not like they get rid of..

SOrry for the book but I thought that deregulation was a good thing..

I knew you were gonna chime in. Say what you will but having maintenance outsourced is a bad idea..............who do you think is watchin them ? FAA IS STRETCHED WAY TOO THIN IN THE US......how do you think they can watch whats happening in another country ?

Back off the American airlines employees....we gave up almost 20%
in wage and benefits in 03 to keep the airline afloat and management
pissed it all away.............

Even after that I was laid off twice............need to think before chiming in on something you know nothing about...............

You must be republican to immediately ASSUME it is all the employees
fault ?

When a plane falls from the sky due to a lack of oversight or inspection just to save money because deregulation is squeezing costs down then you will understand.

You are wrong on deregulation and about American"s situation.

This is not an opinion from someone on the interwebz who doesn't know anything about this situation......I have lived this for 35 years.

As with anything CHEAPEST is not always the best option.............

Jetmeck
04-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Deregulation was far from a bad idea. But that is a whole barrel of monkeys I don't care to litter his thread with. ;D

Also an opinion from an airport professional. But I think you are going overboard on the maintenance and outsourcing. Sound like a United Employee......:wiggle:

airport professional ?

Care to guess what I do ?

I know just a little about maintenance and happen to work
for an airline that does its own maintenance as opposed to somewhere in Mexico or Guatemala ?

Since you started this with your smart comment........deregulation lowered cost for consumers forcing airlines to cut costs in all areas including maintenance. Oh yes thats such a good thing............

Jetmeck
04-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Want to know how to make a million as an airline? Spend a billion.....

That part you may have a point ...............how about 800 million to almost a billion just for fuel.................but you gotta have those cheap seats....................

theAPAOps5
04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
airport professional ?

Care to guess what I do ?

I know just a little about maintenance and happen to work
for an airline that does its own maintenance as opposed to somewhere in Mexico or Guatemala ?

Since you started this with your smart comment........deregulation lowered cost for consumers forcing airlines to cut costs in all areas including maintenance. Oh yes thats such a good thing............

Yes I work in aviation but not for the airlines. I wasn't being a smart ass (thus the attempt at using emoticons), just can easily tell that you work for a legacy and therefor hate the low cost air carriers because they steal your work. I understand why you liked deregulation. Kept competition out for the big boys. Once they had to fend for themselves, well you know.

maher_tyler
04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Allegiant is another one that is pretty cheap. As far as i know, all of their flights are non-stop. However, almost every flight i have been on, has been late taking off. It's super annoying but they fly non-stop from Phoenix to Rapid City SD.

Edit: United is the worst!

Meck77
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I do but my benefits are already taken.

Thanks. Maybe talk to other co workers. Depending on the airline willing to pay $1,500 or more per year.

Jetmeck
04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes I work in aviation but not for the airlines. I wasn't being a smart ass (thus the attempt at using emoticons), just can easily tell that you work for a legacy and therefor hate the low cost air carriers because they steal your work. I understand why you liked deregulation. Kept competition out for the big boys. Once they had to fend for themselves, well you know.

Competing against a non existent American labor force............

These low fare airlines never had their own heavy maintenance work force. They never intended to have one thanks to our Congress making it legal to outsource heavy maintenance to FOREIGN countries.

Whether I like it or not is not the question whether it is safe is the question and as I said who do you think is watching this work done over there ?

Think about it and this is exactly the case where cheaper isn't always better...........

Usually greed is pushing the line between money and safety and the corporations have a choice. Deregulation pushing prices down and forcing carriers to comply or go out of business.

When your plane becomes a convertible...hint...hint............ask if that cheap seat comes with a parachute..................

24champ
04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Allegiant is another one that is pretty cheap. As far as i know, all of their flights are non-stop. However, almost every flight i have been on, has been late taking off. It's super annoying but they fly non-stop from Phoenix to Rapid City SD.

Edit: United is the worst!

Don't get the United hate...I fly United almost always. The ONLY time I had a problem with United is when my flight to LAX got delayed for 8 hours because a plane was stuck somewhere else due to a snowstorm and almost didn't make it to LA for the holidays.

Worst airline is Southwest, sure its cheap but you get what you pay for.

Lycan
04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Am I the only one who read this as online fights?

I though the OP was setting up an OM fight club for a second.

That One Guy
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Competing against a non existent American labor force............

These low fare airlines never had their own heavy maintenance work force. They never intended to have one thanks to our Congress making it legal to outsource heavy maintenance to FOREIGN countries.

Whether I like it or not is not the question whether it is safe is the question and as I said who do you think is watching this work done over there ?

Think about it and this is exactly the case where cheaper isn't always better...........

Usually greed is pushing the line between money and safety and the corporations have a choice. Deregulation pushing prices down and forcing carriers to comply or go out of business.

When your plane becomes a convertible...hint...hint............ask if that cheap seat comes with a parachute..................

The negative publicity that would follow "Outsourced maintenance at fault in tragic plane crash" would end any airline responsible. Sure, it wouldn't help those in the plane but it's not necessarily a risk anyone's gonna be willing to take.

This is assuming there aren't any known occurrences where corners were cut by a foreign maintenance department that ended in disaster. Is that a safe assumption? And if i look it up, is the American maintenance record spotless?

These are sincere questions as I'm completely jumping to conclusions in my head.

theAPAOps5
04-09-2012, 05:02 PM
The negative publicity that would follow "Outsourced maintenance at fault in tragic plane crash" would end any airline responsible. Sure, it wouldn't help those in the plane but it's not necessarily a risk anyone's gonna be willing to take.

This is assuming there aren't any known occurrences where corners were cut by a foreign maintenance department that ended in disaster. Is that a safe assumption? And if i look it up, is the American maintenance record spotless?

These are sincere questions as I'm completely jumping to conclusions in my head.

Any crash, Low fare carrier or not is negative and can damage an airline for years. Airlines also understand this and take great strides to avoid a crash. Often their internal oversight can exceed the FAA's.

There are exceptions though and off the top of my head I can think of Southwest and maintenance checks on 737s. But the major carriers are just as guilty, American airlines and the MD-80 electrical lines come to mind. FAA fined the airline $24 million.

The outsourcing of maintenance is a valid concern as the FAA has no real jurisdiction in other countries. The airlines love it because they get labor cheap and no headache from antiquated and unreasonable unions.

Chris
04-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Am I the only one who read this as online fights?

I though the OP was setting up an OM fight club for a second.

Oline fights - Kaylore and Chris Kuper vs Bob and Willie Roaf

Jetmeck
04-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Any crash, Low fare carrier or not is negative and can damage an airline for years. Airlines also understand this and take great strides to avoid a crash. Often their internal oversight can exceed the FAA's.

There are exceptions though and off the top of my head I can think of Southwest and maintenance checks on 737s. But the major carriers are just as guilty, American airlines and the MD-80 electrical lines come to mind. FAA fined the airline $24 million.

The outsourcing of maintenance is a valid concern as the FAA has no real jurisdiction in other countries. The airlines love it because they get labor cheap and no headache from antiquated and unreasonable unions.

Where is the hate for unions coming from ? You do realize all the 40 hour and 8 hour work rules and etc were gotten by unions and even non union people have been brought along.

Without unions what would you be making ? 10 dollar an hour.........?

Just knew you guys would bring up the MD-80 fiasco........that was all about wiring bundle routing and clamp location on said bundle and the fact that the FAA had just been caught with their panties down over an earlier SOUTHWEST fiasco where their planes didn't even get looked at when they were due for maintenance............

The MD-80 fiasco was because of the above Southwest fiasco and the FAA looking bad so we became their whipping boy to make them look good in the public eyes. The wires and clamps in question WERE NEVER A HAZARD TO ANYONE and I worked AVIONICS during that fiasco.

Now if you'd like to talk about aircraft skin splitting and opening up in flight talk to SW. That would be considered hazardous...........

The hatred for unions is ridiculous and those that do the most squalking are jealous and just don't understand that unions helped everyone in the working class and considering how the middle class is being squeezed we need more of this....not less.

I told you the FAA is not able to look over foreign maintenance and you finally relented......now you are telling the said airline has their
own people overseeing the maintenance. See that would be inspectors...............not happening.

Care to tell me about how aircraft maintenance is done ?
You guys make up chit..............

Jetmeck
04-09-2012, 07:06 PM

For the MD-80 fiasco see above post. That was a joke.

The old saying of you get what you pay for is true. Lack of training and oversight just to save a buck will ultimately cost lives and then the congress will finally reel in the airline industry.

So if you have two products one American made and one overseas made which one is usually made the best ? You best hope the odds are not with you when flying.

Said airline ASSUMES maintenance done to their specs because said foreign repair station says is it so it must be so ?

Yeah they are rolling the dice.................

lonestar
04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
I knew you were gonna chime in. Say what you will but having maintenance outsourced is a bad idea..............who do you think is watchin them ? FAA IS STRETCHED WAY TOO THIN IN THE US......how do you think they can watch whats happening in another country ?

Back off the American airlines employees....we gave up almost 20%
in wage and benefits in 03 to keep the airline afloat and management
pissed it all away.............

Even after that I was laid off twice............need to think before chiming in on something you know nothing about...............

You must be republican to immediately ASSUME it is all the employees
fault ?

When a plane falls from the sky due to a lack of oversight or inspection just to save money because deregulation is squeezing costs down then you will understand.

You are wrong on deregulation and about American"s situation.

This is not an opinion from someone on the interwebz who doesn't know anything about this situation......I have lived this for 35 years.

As with anything CHEAPEST is not always the best option.............

Little do you really know about me been in the travel business since you were gleam in your daddy's eye.

Been around airports since 1968 in some way or another. Actually even before that. While I was in JHS. But only as an observer.

Yes AA employees gave back in 03 but since then have been a leader in union contracts monetarily almost ever since.

I have kept a close eye on AA and for the most part atleast in the smaller cities the employees as general rule are hard working folks. When it comes to Dfw well customer service sucked every time I traveled through there.

Not much better in ORD but I tried real hard not to go through there unless I had to.

I'm sure yor a stand up guy but many times those closet to the issue do not see all the issues.

Robert Crandall was a visionary after him not so much. Have been an employee or dependent of one for the past 25 years so I do have some knowledge of airports.

Out scorching to other countries probably not the wisest thing to do for customer service as in Reservations or mechanical issues.

The out sorcurcing I was referring to was Deltas spec ops that rebuild airframes and engines for other airlines.

If AA is sending their work over seas without sme one supervising it or inspecting it when it gets home well sorry for y'all as it is just a matter of time before they dump one.

When that happens your stock (whoops) is not going to be worth the paper it is printed on..

They were stupid not to go Chapter 11 a couple of years ago. Your union contracts are way to high for the RPSM.
Flying old planes IIRC mainly MD80-88 s is not cost effective.

The courts are going to dump your pension plans. Because they are not sustainable.

Sorry to hear your an AA employee cause you have been screwed for many years. IMO.

tsiguy96
04-09-2012, 07:29 PM
For the MD-80 fiasco see above post. That was a joke.

The old saying of you get what you pay for is true. Lack of training and oversight just to save a buck will ultimately cost lives and then the congress will finally reel in the airline industry.

So if you have two products one American made and one overseas made which one is usually made the best ? You best hope the odds are not with you when flying.

Said airline ASSUMES maintenance done to their specs because said foreign repair station says is it so it must be so ?

Yeah they are rolling the dice.................

airlines, even cheap ones, understand that a single crash can destroy their multi-million dollar company. you really think they are cheaping out on every possible maintenance opportunity and putting passengers at risk to save a quick buck, which can ultimately destroy their company if it comes back to bite them? they arent dumb and there is a reason that airlines are unquestionably the safest way to travel. hell, over 90% of passengers survive airplane crashes in the modern era on top of that.

Houshyamama
04-09-2012, 07:47 PM
www.airfarewatchdog.com is good if you plan ahead

theAPAOps5
04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Where is the hate for unions coming from ? You do realize all the 40 hour and 8 hour work rules and etc were gotten by unions and even non union people have been brought along.

Just knew you guys would bring up the MD-80 fiasco........that was all about wiring bundle routing and clamp location on said bundle and the fact that the FAA had just been caught with their panties down over an earlier SOUTHWEST fiasco where their planes didn't even get looked at when they were due for maintenance............

The MD-80 fiasco was because of the above Southwest fiasco and the FAA looking bad so we became their whipping boy to make them look good in the public eyes. The wires and clamps in question WERE NEVER A HAZARD TO ANYONE and I worked AVIONICS during that fiasco.

Now if you'd like to talk about aircraft skin splitting and opening up in flight talk to SW. That would be considered hazardous...........

The hatred for unions is ridiculous and those that do the most squalking are jealous and just don't understand that unions helped everyone in the working class and considering how the middle class is being squeezed we need more of this....not less.

I told you the FAA is not able to look over foreign maintenance and you finally relented......now you are telling the said airline has their
own people overseeing the maintenance. See that would be inspectors...............not happening.

Pretty sure the only thing I challenged you on was deregulation and I stated I could tell you worked for a mainline. I Said you were overblowing the maintenance issues. But the lack of oversight is a valid concern. See I can agree and don't have to have it all one way.

Now for the funny part, and expected. You gasp at the thought of a mainline carrier screwing up and cutting costs and are so quick to turn it on Southwest. Keep hating the low cost airlines, I would be scared of them too if I worked for a dinosaur.

Never meant for this to turn heated but any response that is opposite of you and you pitch a fit. Sad.

theAPAOps5
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM

I mean no smart assery with this but do you know what antiquated means? If not it means obsolete, no longer needed. As in they once served a purpose but for most industries, especially the airlines, they serve no purpose.

My opinion, obviously not yours. That's fine but I bet you scream and throw a fit about it.

That One Guy
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

When times are good and the worker holds power, unions can be a good thing. When times are bad and the employer holds all the power, unions can be a terrible obstruction to progress.

maher_tyler
04-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Don't get the United hate...I fly United almost always. The ONLY time I had a problem with United is when my flight to LAX got delayed for 8 hours because a plane was stuck somewhere else due to a snowstorm and almost didn't make it to LA for the holidays.

Worst airline is Southwest, sure its cheap but you get what you pay for.

About a year ago, a SW flight had to emergency land in Yuma AZ. The plane was at 35,000 feet when there was a loud bang. Passengers looked up and could see the sky because of a crack/hole in the roof. People passed out due to the lack of oxygen. I couldnt imagine being on a flight like that!

Reason i dont like United is because i thought i was going to die in a plane crash on one of their flights. That and they've lost my luggage or put it on the wrong flight!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/04/01/20110401southwest-flight-diverted-cabin-pressure-drop-abrk01-ON.html

lonestar
04-09-2012, 09:57 PM
airlines, even cheap ones, understand that a single crash can destroy their multi-million dollar company. you really think they are cheaping out on every possible maintenance opportunity and putting passengers at risk to save a quick buck, which can ultimately destroy their company if it comes back to bite them? they arent dumb and there is a reason that airlines are unquestionably the safest way to travel. hell, over 90% of passengers survive airplane crashes in the modern era on top of that.

I still believe that airlines want to protect that multi million dollar plane. Overall they are not going do something stupid saving a few bucks that will cause them to dump a plane..

While they may it source rebuilding an engine you can bet your ass they are not going install it and send it out without inspecting it.

Gee many engines and parts a being made in ther countries outside the USA. Before they are put into Boeing and other planes. So those also have the same problems as the rebuilt units may.

lonestar
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I mean no smart assery with this but do you know what antiquated means? If not it means obsolete, no longer needed. As in they once served a purpose but for most industries, especially the airlines, they serve no purpose.

My opinion, obviously not yours. That's fine but I bet you scream and throw a fit about it.

Unions were needed for the coal miners auto makers back when. As for now nt so much, management is pretty much going to get their way anyway. So strikIng a few weeks to get another $.25 per hour is beyond stupid.
You never get that lost money back.

Btw those high priced union contract that AA got I've the past ten years are all going to be voided by the bankruptcy court.

So much for unions.

Cito Pelon
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM

Just because unions have come up in this thread, I'll contribute. Ludlow, Colorado was one of the most important union vs. ownership battles.

The Ludlow Massacre in 1914, very important turning point in labor vs. management. Also a turning point in Colorado history. The Rockefeller's had so much power in Colorado they got the Colorado National Guard out to break a coal miner's strike, and planted their own people into the Colorado National Guard because the Colorado Governor was their guy.

The Colorado National Guard that the Governor allowed to be run by the Rockefeller's burned thirteen people alive, two women and 11 children, machine-gunned another 20 or so to death.

http://libcom.org/history/1914-the-ludlow-massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre

broncocalijohn
04-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Isnt jetmeck have a wife that is a unioned teacher? Rarely will a union follower realize that unions are nothing like they were 80 years ago. My wife is a teacher and the brain wash **** that comes in the mail. Unions spend billions with propaganda.

I just used Hotels.com for my wife and her parents stay in Denver tonight. Priceline was going to be about $15 cheaper but no guarantee of 2 beds for 4 people. Not sure on their flights but packaged deals are always the best way to go.

enjolras
04-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Hipmunk.com is a relatively new flight aggregator. They have some really cool ways to look at different flights really quickly. I definitely recommend them.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Hipmunk.com is a relatively new flight aggregator. They have some really cool ways to look at different flights really quickly. I definitely recommend them.

how do they come up with these names and people remember them?

lonestar
04-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Just because unions have come up in this thread, I'll contribute. Ludlow, Colorado was one of the most important union vs. ownership battles.

The Ludlow Massacre in 1914, very important turning point in labor vs. management. Also a turning point in Colorado history. The Rockefeller's had so much power in Colorado they got the Colorado National Guard out to break a coal miner's strike, and planted their own people into the Colorado National Guard because the Colorado Governor was their guy.

The Colorado National Guard that the Governor allowed to be run by the Rockefeller's burned thirteen people alive, two women and 11 children, machine-gunned another 20 or so to death.

http://libcom.org/history/1914-the-ludlow-massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Massacre

Let's see 1914 Terible working conditions.

2012 40 hour work weeks, OSHA, EEOC, unlimited lawyers that work on contingencies, NlRB, nobama and all his cronies.

No comparison.

Sorry but unions once served a valid concen today not so much.

Why anyone would want to pay dues so union employees get fat and rich off of them is beyond me.

Every state should be right to work. If some moron wants to pay union dues they can if I do not I don't have to. But I'm paid the same wage and benefits, why join.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Why anyone would want to pay dues so union employees get fat and rich off of them is beyond me.
Ignorance and stupidity. Check out what your "right to work" states pay their citizens and what the rest of the country pays it's citizens.

It's too bad so may people don't understand that EVERY right they enjoy in today's workplace was fought for in blood, sweat & tears by union members who built this country.

And the ignorance in this country when stereotyping unions is pathetic.

theAPAOps5
04-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Ignorance and stupidity. Check out what your "right to work" states pay their citizens and what the rest of the country pays it's citizens.

It's too bad so may people don't understand that EVERY right they enjoy in today's workplace was fought for in blood, sweat & tears by union members who built this country.

Are you going to go on strike? (sorry that was a blatant stereotype!)

Bronco_Beerslug
04-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Are you going to go on strike? (sorry that was a blatant stereotype!)
I take it you are not a comedian?

That One Guy
04-11-2012, 06:15 AM

The country is here because of the militias. Wanna join a militia with me?

lonestar
04-11-2012, 11:26 AM

I understand that unions were needed 100 years ago maybe even up to WWII but since then and especially since the 60's unions are nothing but corrupt leaches that do little if anything for their members..

The laws passed since the 40's have all but eliminated unfair working conditions..

Never in world history are there more laws in place to protect the employee..

AS for wages well how many jobs have been lost because american workers are over priced for what they accomplish.

I've been on the other side of the table from union bosses (6 different unions in 4 different states).. and let me tell you that almost every union negotiation was more for the benefits that the reps got than the workers..

The workers rolled over when the rep told them that was all they were getting, yet the reps were driving expensive cars..

There is only so much money that a company can spend on wages after that jobs are lost when they ask for too much.

NOw if you want to bitch and moan about fat cat CEO's making millions, I can dig that, but how wonderful union reps and unions are not going to change my mind..

BTW I was once part of a union organizing effort long before I got into management, I saw the promises made by the reps. They talked big money at a time I was making just a bit over $2.95 an hour..  We did not see a dime out of the fiasco and wound up paying union dues this was before right to work was in place..

and one last thought how many millions of dollars of union dues are being funneled into political campaigns..

seems to me if they can waste those dollars there they are getting to much in dues.. want to get a raise ask them for your money back instead of wasting it on elections..

Houshyamama
04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
www.airfarewatchdog.com is good if you plan ahead

No seriously this site is great, does anyone else use it?

DON'T IGNORE ME!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z5XncLGOHSw/TjaTI60q5iI/AAAAAAAADB0/hmnj7j2Oidg/s1600/crying_alone-2794.jpg