PDA

View Full Version : Late Round QBs

Tombstone RJ
04-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Kellen Moore really is the ideal back up to Manning. He's not the ideal size but if he can step in and manage the offense should Manning go down then I think he'd be a great pick up in the late rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3B794D5AAAB7855&feature=plcp

What are the positives and negatives for all of the quarterbacks in the 2012 draft? PFW's Draft Expert Nolan Nawrocki breaks them all down and tells you where he thinks they'll be drafted.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YK0ZQwnRWsc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cRGuytjB3zU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cpA7C-HvYNQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jsiPUxjG17w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aLdnu923Lmk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T-RwClRRvMQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gl-QiZSlQpg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8LmSLGt8lrw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Br0nc0Buster
04-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I think we are high on BJ Coleman

My guess is we use a mid to late round pick on someone like Coleman, Foles, or Lindley

doubt we draft Moore

I bet Elway would relish the opportunity to take a raw but talented qb and groom him

SouthStndJunkie
04-07-2012, 01:31 PM
I like Ryan Lindley from SDSU quite a bit.

KipCorrington25
04-07-2012, 01:33 PM
No point in starting to develop a QB until Manning has only a couple years left. Anyone now won't get any reps or PT and will just be another Sorgi or Painter.

oubronco
04-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Didn't the whole EFX team workout Osweiler yesterday?

Bronco Boy
BJ Coleman seems like a good project guy to sit behind Manning for a few years. Plus he's from Tennessee, so that should help him get along with Manning I would think.

Archer81
No point in starting to develop a QB until Manning has only a couple years left. Anyone now won't get any reps or PT and will just be another Sorgi or Painter.

Is Manning 26 or 36. I forget.

:Broncos:

Tombstone RJ
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
If theres a QB the Broncos like I say take him. I'd rather they do this than draft a QB purely out of need. Manning has a 3 year window and if the Broncos take a late round QB and develope him in order to step in after Manning retires IMHO that's the best way to smoothly transition into a new QB.

Lindley is an interesting prospect. If the Broncos feel he's a guy that has potential then I'd rather they take him somewhere in the mid rounds rather than draft out of need in a few years.

razorwire77
04-07-2012, 01:51 PM
I think Lindley is going to be the guy with either the later 4th or the 5th rounder.

California kid, above average size and arm strength etc.

OBF1
04-07-2012, 02:06 PM
I would rather Denver not waste any round pick on a QB project this year. We have a short window of opprotunity with guys like Peyton Manny and Champ Bailey. Lets fill holes that will make a difference, not building for a future that may never come.

BroncoMan4ever
04-07-2012, 03:04 PM
If there are doubts that Manning can finish his contract then I say go for Foles in the 5th. Similar skill set and style to PM and has the potential to possibly turn into something good provided he gets a few years to develop. Otherwise draft needs as opposed to project players

FADERPROOF
04-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Of the later round QB's, SDSU Ryan Lindley is the broncos best option.

Cmac821
04-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I saw the high power offense of Boise play at Hughes stadium and Kellen Moore looked really impressive. I mean sure his WR's are wide open most of the time against weaker teams but he still hits his man in stride.

He had a play in the red zone where he stared the safety down and froze him to throw a sweet no look pass to the TE just to the left of the frozen defender

Cmac821
04-07-2012, 07:45 PM
sorry for the double post, on the bright side I deleted the other 3 :thumbsup:

Mogulseeker
04-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Nick Foles

Patrick Witt

errand
04-07-2012, 07:55 PM
I bet Elway would relish the opportunity to take a raw but talented qb and groom him

Didn't he just trade one to the Jets? If he relishes doing that he'd have kept him.....

FADERPROOF
04-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Didn't he just trade one to the Jets? If he relishes doing that he'd have kept him.....

He said QB, not FB

Broncobiv
04-07-2012, 09:19 PM
He said QB, not FB
Good grief. Are people ever going to stop making this joke? It is so old and tired.....

Broncobiv
04-07-2012, 09:23 PM
If there are doubts that Manning can finish his contract then I say go for Foles in the 5th. Similar skill set and style to PM and has the potential to possibly turn into something good provided he gets a few years to develop. Otherwise draft needs as opposed to project players

Has he fallen that far? I thought Foles was a 3rd rounder or so?

Cito Pelon
04-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Looked to me like Weeden was the most pro-ready college QB coming into the 2012 draft. I watched him against Luck and Weeden was the better QB. Maybe he'll fall into our laps later in round 2, if so they should grab him for insurance.

BroncoMan4ever
04-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Has he fallen that far? I thought Foles was a 3rd rounder or so?

he started out as a solid 3rd, and for a little while was being talked about as maybe potential 2nd, and then his combine and pro days tanked him. he has fallen pretty hard. the fact that he plays QB though could help him out as teams always reach for a guy if they think he has any potential at all.

ZONA
04-08-2012, 12:36 AM
I'd say the Broncos are hoping for 4 years out of Manning. The only downside to drafting a backup, who you want to groom, too early is at the 3 year mark, he's a FA and you have to decide if you're going to pay him. If there is a guy they like super late, like as in the 5th or 7th that's cool. But I wouldn't use any picks through the 1st 4 rounds this year on a QB. We need too much help in other places to use those picks for.

ColoradoBuff
04-08-2012, 07:08 AM
I know Weeden doesn't classify as a late round qb...but i would love to see him end up in denver. But as for late round qb's....i want Foles or Osweiler. Not a fan of Lindley.

cmhargrove
04-08-2012, 07:54 AM
I don't know if half those guys on the list are any better than Adam Weber, and we seem to be all in on the Manning thing right now. If we take a QB in the first four rounds, I might get a little worried about Mannings current health.

However, Elway has let it be known that he is a QB guy (big surprise), so if a potential future starter like Osweiler was still there in the third round it wouldn't really surprise me. With all the hype he has received lately, it seems unlikely that he would last until our third round pick. But as far as the rest of these guys, no one intrigues me quite like Moore. Just watching his mannerisms and style remind me most of Joe Montana - little guy, sneaky smart, great leader, little choppy steps and great touch on his passes.

FADERPROOF
04-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Good grief. Are people ever going to stop making this joke? It is so old and tired.....

You're right, I should've said TE or H-back instead.

Pony Boy
04-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Kellen Moore lists as 6' so he's probalbly only 5'11", he would look like a midget next to Manning. I say go with a veteran back-up and if Manning goes down, wait and go after one of the top three in next's years draft. ( Barkley, Wilson or Jones).

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know if half those guys on the list are any better than Adam Weber, and we seem to be all in on the Manning thing right now. If we take a QB in the first four rounds, I might get a little worried about Mannings current health.

However, Elway has let it be known that he is a QB guy (big surprise), so if a potential future starter like Osweiler was still there in the third round it wouldn't really surprise me. With all the hype he has received lately, it seems unlikely that he would last until our third round pick. But as far as the rest of these guys, no one intrigues me quite like Moore. Just watching his mannerisms and style remind me most of Joe Montana - little guy, sneaky smart, great leader, little choppy steps and great touch on his passes.

yah, I like Moore a lot too. He's about the same size as Drew Brees and IMHO, Brees is the best QB in the NFL right now.

Br0nc0Buster
04-08-2012, 10:00 AM

Elway wants a pocket passer, Tebow that is not

That and he wouldnt have to deal with the inbred psychos that follow Tebow around from team to team

R8R H8R
04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Weeden should be off the board now that we have Manning. He would be 32-34 years old by the time Manning hangs it up.

Unless someone falls to a late round that EFX really likes, I expect them to pass on QB this year, and maybe look next year. They really don't NEED a QB this year.

Lestat
04-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Broncos want 4 QB's on the roster for camp so my guess is they'll definitely take a QB. you have Manning signed for 5 years, Hanie signed for two and then Weber. the 3rd or 4th is likely the round they'd take him unless a great value QB slides low(which i don't see in the first two rounds)
Weeden should be off the board now that we have Manning. He would be 32-34 years old by the time Manning hangs it up.

Unless someone falls to a late round that EFX really likes, I expect them to pass on QB this year, and maybe look next year. They really don't NEED a QB this year.

LGM
04-08-2012, 10:30 AM
yah, I like Moore a lot too. He's about the same size as Drew Brees and IMHO, Brees is the best QB in the NFL right now.

Ugh. Brees arm is 10 times better than Moore's. Moore is incredibly weak armed compared to a number of other qb's.

SDSU's qb, or Oswiler is my bet.

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Ugh. Brees arm is 10 times better than Moore's. Moore is incredibly weak armed compared to a number of other qb's.

SDSU's qb, or Oswiler is my bet.

ok fine but having a "strong arm" is not the end all be all of an NFL QB. Montana did not have a strong arm per say, but he was accurate and made great decisions. I'm just saying that Moore appears to have the right mental make up to be a good NFL QB.

Lestat
04-08-2012, 10:44 AM
big talent difference between Moore and Brees. Brees was consider a top 20-25 pick when he came out even with his size and it was a slight shock that his height dropped him so low even though there were whispers that it would drop him to around pick 28 or so.

Moore is a guy who will be great as a back up QB, he'll know the playbook in and out, he'll be like a extra coach but as far as his starter prospects they're a little weak. i'd liken him to Chase Daniel who backs up Brees in NO.
ok fine but having a "strong arm" is not the end all be all of an NFL QB. Montana did not have a strong arm per say, but he was accurate and made great decisions. I'm just saying that Moore appears to have the right mental make up to be a good NFL QB.

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2012, 10:47 AM
big talent difference between Moore and Brees. Brees was consider a top 20-25 pick when he came out even with his size and it was a slight shock that his height dropped him so low even though there were whispers that it would drop him to around pick 28 or so.

Moore is a guy who will be great as a back up QB, he'll know the playbook in and out, he'll be like a extra coach but as far as his starter prospects they're a little weak. i'd liken him to Chase Daniel who backs up Brees in NO.

I agree, I think he'll be a great backup behind Manning and if the Broncos can get him in the late rounds (6th?) then I'd love to see him on the Broncos. I just don't think a guy like Lindley will be there in the late rounds.

Lestat
04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
4th round is likely the lowest Lindley will go.
for me this is how i rank the non first round QB's.
1.Brock Osweiler(highest ceiling of any of the QB's not in the first)
2.Brandon Weeden
3.Kirk Cousins
4.Ryan Lindley
5.Russell Wilson
6.BJ Coleman
7.Nick Foles
8.Austin Davis

of those 8 the best fits for Denver in terms of being able to sit behind Manning and develop for the future are Osweiler,Lindley,Coleman & Foles.
I agree, I think he'll be a great backup behind Manning and if the Broncos can get him in the late rounds (6th?) then I'd love to see him on the Broncos. I just don't think a guy like Lindley will be there in the late rounds.