PDA

View Full Version : Drafting a Starter

*WARHORSE*
04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
If the Broncos hold true to form, they will draft players that they feel can come in and start with the first three to four picks.

That removes the QBs. However, should Tannehill be there at 25....that may indeed be someone they draft. BUT I DONT THINK SO.

What players will be available to us that can start right away in the top four picks?

With the focus on the first pick:

Corner? Yes. One of the top corners can come in and possibly start right away. However, with the signing of Porter, and the young guys we already we have, I doubt it unless they let Champ go to safety. I dont see it this year.

DT? Yes. DT is one of those positions where its hard for a rookie to come in and contribute right away, even when theyre first round draft picks. But I believe the talent available would allow it. But is the talent available at 25 going to have a better chance to start vs a second rounder? Depends on the difference of ability in the players left available. Good chance this is the position we address.

DE? No. I dont see anyone other than possibly Coples that can unseat one of our guys, and he will be gone. So I dont see it.

Safety? Yes. Barron would come in and play imo, and hes a possibility.

LBer? Yes. I dont believe its likely, but if Kuechely is there, hes a big possibility. He wont be though. All the other top LBer prospects translate better to the 3-4.

RB? Yes. I believe Martin can come in and start day one.

WR? Yes. I believe there are a couple of WRs who can possibly come in and start in the slot or outside. Floyd, wont be there. Kendall Wright, possible. Stephen Hill, possible.

OT? Yes. I believe if a couple of guys fall down, they could supplant Franklin, moving him to guard. Probably a last scenario if other positions are there. Denver has Harris and will probably address the depth past the first round.

Guard? Yes. But DeCastro wont be there.

Center? Yes. Konz is better than Walton. I dont see them drafting him, but Konz can supplant Walton. Theres always a possibility that in order to protect Manning at the utmost, we draft this position. But I dont think likely.

TE? No. No. And no.

FB? No.

QB? No. But if Tannehill is there, Denver very well take him. Its the one position and player that they may settle for a non-starter. And it has to be addressed anyway. Hanie is not the future, and Tannehill may even supplant him at number 2 behind Manning. Is Weeden a thought in the same line of thinking? I dont think so. Hes too old. If Manning plays 3 more years...........Weeden is retiring.

So what do I see us doing?

I see us trading down unless our top choice at DT is there.

If we pick at 25, what will be the positions with the highest value left? I believe it will be DT.....WR......RB.....Corner.....then OL.

If Cox, Brockers and Worthy are gone, dont be surprised if we draft another position besides DT.

Like RB or WR.

Thoughts?

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
There's another possibility. The Broncos trade up in the first to take one DT who can start immediately, then spend the rest of the draft going for BPA.

*WARHORSE*
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
There's another possibility. The Broncos trade up in the first to take one DT who can start immediately, then spend the rest of the draft going for BPA.

Possible.

But I dont think it will happen.

But if we got Fletcher Cox, I would riverdance holding two coconuts.

lonestar
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
good post OP..

I doubt that we trade up or down..

trading back would mean that someone would want someone still on the board but at 25 can't beleive there would be that special guy..

trading up I do not see John doing that and using other picks to do so.. have way to many holes to fill.

I doubt that anyone we draft this year will become instant and consistent starters at 25 and higher..

While we have a decent team many of the starters are going to just get better as time rolls on.. the only real weakness I see on the team is MLB and safety..the only spots where a rookie could come in and take their spots..

CB unlikely because of the two projected starters and goody unless they are smart enough to trade or cut him..mostly to unload the cap space.

WLB maybe but rarely do you spend a #1 on that spot..

OL is good and getting better and unlikely to get beat out by a rookie..
BTW Harris is nothing but a career backup at best as he can not be counted on to stay healthy..Disrupting the contunity by placing him at ORT where he was not anything special with a weakened Kupe coming back will not help matters..

RB maybe but IMO running the ZBS almost any moke can make yards there.. UBTIL we get inside the red zone..

Rookie WR rarely make a difference.. it normally take a few years to become worht a crap.. UNLESS your getting the top dog and that will not happen at 25..

I'll guess that we stick with the best DT n the board at the time maybe a DE as the other positions the top dogs are all gonna be long gone..

maher_tyler
04-06-2012, 01:24 PM

Only if we don't bring any one in through free agency. If one of our guys is there i could see us moving up 5-6 spots to get him. Especially if they think those teams ahead of us would take/need a DT.

cmhargrove
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
We need so much help, that i'm not even focused on just our first rounder. I honestly believe that if we pick well, we could get starting talent all the way through our fourth round picks. If history holds true, we will use our second and third rounders on guys I never even suspected.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Only if we don't bring any one in through free agency. If one of our guys is there i could see us moving up 5-6 spots to get him. Especially if they think those teams ahead of us would take/need a DT.

Yah, it's not like there's a Suh available but I think the Broncos considered trading up for Fairley last year so If the Bronco value a guy like Cox, they may be willing to trade up a few spots to insure they get him, rather than sitting at 25 and settling for a DT they are luke warm on.

I'm guessing the Broncos have perhaps 2 DTs rated as first round picks in their 4-3 scheme. If neither guy is there at 25 and they didn't trade up to get one of them then they either trade down or take another position at 25.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Do we have a FB on the roster?

lonestar
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM

two.. that I remembered but only one on the roster..
40 Sylvester, Austin FB 6-1 248 23 R Washington

Broncos4tw
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM

No, we traded Tebow away to the Jets.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 02:13 PM
duh!

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 02:14 PM
two.. that I remembered but only one on the roster..
40 Sylvester, Austin FB 6-1 248 23 R Washington

Is he going to start? I doubt we field a FB heavy O but when we do I hope he can play.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
No, we traded Tebow away to the Jets.

REP for you

Pony Boy
04-06-2012, 02:18 PM
I would like to see us get Joe Adams, instant upgrade at return man and would fill the slot receiver position, Manning would wear this kid out.....

DenverBroncosJM
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
If we get Akoye or what ever his name is, I think Konz at 25 is almost a lock

lonestar
04-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Is he going to start? I doubt we field a FB heavy O but when we do I hope he can play.

would guess that we find another one in the later rounds or as a UDFA..

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
If we get Akoye or what ever his name is, I think Konz at 25 is almost a lock

I have absolutely no problem with Konz at 25, this is another reason to sign Okoye, Bannan and Thomas. If the Broncos do this it opens up the draft, especially in the first round.

delany
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I have absolutely no problem with Konz at 25, this is another reason to sign Okoye, Bannan and Thomas. If the Broncos do this it opens up the draft, especially in the first round.

There are durability concerns with Konz and his combine bench numbers where bad. I have cooled on him somewhat.

I wouldn't hate the pick...but I would prefer to go in a different direction unless we trade down.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
There are durability concerns with Konz and his combine bench numbers where bad. I have cooled on him somewhat.

I wouldn't hate the pick...but I would prefer to go in a different direction unless we trade down.

I just think Walton is kind of a liability. However it's up to EFX to decide if he's up to the job of being the center moving forward with Manning.

DBroncos4life
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Tamme played FB/TE for the Colts. I think he does it here too.

Rohirrim
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm beginning to think the value pick where the Broncos are located, at 25, will be WR.

Drek
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
If the Broncos hold true to form, they will draft players that they feel can come in and start with the first three to four picks.

We've seen this new management have one draft. Everyone said Theo Epstein was a college kids only GM with the Red Sox. Then he spent his last several years spending all his early picks on High School kids.

This draft might be very different for this FO. Last year they had three very high picks with the 2nd overall, their second, and the Dolphins' second. Only the Broncos' own first round pick is in that same range. The 2nd we do have is quite a step down from the two we had last year, our 3rd is almost a round lower, etc..

This, the good sized class brought in last year, and the additions via FA could mean this is a draft class where they look to build long term depth instead of grabbing the guys who can simply contribute the soonest.

Rohirrim
04-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't discount a guy like Hightower either. He's a very versatile player. Del Rio attended Alabama's pro day. A player like Hightower might fit very well into their plans.

TonyR
04-06-2012, 03:37 PM

I don't think the Manning offense in Indy utilized the FB position.

lonestar
04-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I just think Walton is kind of a liability. However it's up to EFX to decide if he's up to the job of being the center moving forward with Manning.

Well there you go thinking again..

As you said how about we let the coaches that are professionals make those decisions..

lonestar
04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't think the Manning offense in Indy utilized the FB position.

I do not think so either.. in fact most of the time the RB ws not part of the offense either..

But I'll guess that both John and John will make sure we have one on the team..

Elway from his Howard Griffin days.. and Fox just because he has always had one..

Lestat
04-06-2012, 07:54 PM
if they could do that and land either Cox or Coples i would do an irish jig while singing our God is an awesome God.

Shananahan
04-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Elway wrote Black Like Me?

Great13
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
How about drafting another pass rusher? Nick Perry at 25 then trade up in round 2 for Brandon Thompson. After that you can grab BPA at WR,RB,LB,DT,OL. If Perry is there at 25 I take him over any DT not named Cox or Brockers (and they will be gone by then.) Doom, Perry, Ayers (inside), and Von LB blitzing from either side or up the middle.... Sounds good to me.

Rohirrim
04-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Cox has moved up into the top fifteen of just about every mock I've seen. Even top ten on some. I think he's off the list, unless the Broncos trade up for him.

Carmelo15
04-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I think the Broncos would trade up for Cox if he falls to a certain spot (outside top 15). Unfortunately it's looking like he won't

barryr
04-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I would not be surprised to see the Broncos draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Mediator12
04-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I would not be surprised to see the Broncos draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I would. They have their X and Z starters and there is INSANE value in the 4th round or so for the F or Slot WR's.

cabronco
04-07-2012, 01:03 PM
I think the Broncos will try hard to move up , if they see a starting player they really like, like DT in first or 2nd round, and can find a trading partner. With PM window of opportunity to win now being fairly narrow, their draft guide prolly targets win now players in bold and red circled. Go get em boyz!

cutthemdown
04-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm beginning to think the value pick where the Broncos are located, at 25, will be WR.

DING DING we have a winner.

doonwise
04-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Based on the value chart, how high could we move up in the first round if we only offered our 1st plus 4th round pick (2 or 3 slots)? I imagine that with all our holes, that is likely all we would be willing to burn.

driver
04-07-2012, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't discount a guy like Hightower either. He's a very versatile player. Del Rio attended Alabama's pro day. A player like Hightower might fit very well into their plans.

that's entirely possible, could've been looking at Barron, and Chapman in the third or fourth, Chapman would be a top 15 pick w/o the acl injury IMO.

Bmore Manning
04-07-2012, 06:22 PM
that's entirely possible, could've been looking at Barron, and Chapman in the third or fourth, Chapman would be a top 15 pick w/o the acl injury IMO.

I have been saying that, and have really caught scrutiny! Chapman is a stud.

Bmore Manning
04-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Based on the value chart, how high could we move up in the first round if we only offered our 1st plus 4th round pick (2 or 3 slots)? I imagine that with all our holes, that is likely all we would be willing to burn.

I think that DTs will fall in the draft, because of the preconceived notion the draft is deep with talent. I see Brockers falling to 25 and I would be ecstatic!

driver
04-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I have been saying that, and have really caught scrutiny! Chapman is a stud.

protoypical nt. 6' 315lbs strong as an ox and very active, if he is healthy he coud be the answer for our run D problems.

Mediator12
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
protoypical nt. 6' 315lbs strong as an ox and very active, if he is healthy he coud be the answer for our run D problems.

Josh Chapman is a prototypical NT, who played on a heavy rotation, talented DL. If he was healthy for the draft he is a top 50 DT on par with a Brandon Thompson as a run stuffer. However, he is a 2 down guy who will tire if he is overused in the NFL. He has had a long injury history, outside the Knee, and even though he plays hurt, that is an issue for teams in the draft.

He would be a Bunkley replacement who plays less than Half the snaps and comes out in pass rush or nickel situations. Ideal run stuffing NT, but he may not see the field until 2013 and is a role player, not a playmaker.

Again, love the guy and would draft him in the late third or fourth, but any earlier and his value is too high IMHO.

driver
04-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Again, love the guy and would draft him in the late third or fourth, but any earlier and his value is too high IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Think thats what I said a couple of post earlier,JDR might be looking at him for the 3rd or fourth rnd, if he's healthy. Like I said he's a nt, they earn their living soaking up double teams and holding the LOS, not many sacks and no glory. They just play football.