PDA

View Full Version : For all you other Moto "Morons", MotoGP starts this weekend!

Dutch
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Sorry for the title. See the Bobby Patreno thread for the origin of that. Anywho, its looking to be a great season with the 1000's back where they belong. Should help out our larger American riders with more HP and just more room to move around on the bike (shouldn't have to be ridden like a 250 two stroke to turn in fast lap times). Also sounds like the bikes will be getting "loose" by the end of the races, which also favors both Nicky and Ben with their Superbike backgrounds. Also going to be interresting to see how the larger grid size and the inclusion of the CRT teams. Could make for some lapper weirdness late in the races. Just want to see someone give Stoner and Jorge a run for it this year. Some passing would be nice as well for a change. Night race in Quatar to start things off.....sweeeeeet! Third practice session just about ready to start! Go Yanks! Get it done!

delany
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Y'll shoot your eye out!

Dutch
04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Y'll shoot your eye out!

Yeah, I know. Could become a "Street Pizza" or an "Organ Donor" as well. Them danged dangerous "Murdercycles".:wiggle:

rideco
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I think Stoner is going to be hard to beat this year. I have been following Spies and Hayden on twitter and they both seemed pretty upbeat after FP1. I dont know what they are thinking allowing the slow bikes on the grid. I just hope that it does not cause a crash with a leader coming by to lap them. Well unless its Dani P. and then I would be thrilled. I would really like to see a tight championship with all of the riders being able to stay healthy but time will tell on that one. This is a pretty kewl pic Spies put out yesterday...

https://twitter.com/#!/BenSpies11/status/187996174341521408/photo/1/large

rideco
04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Ben Spies ‏ <s>@</s>BenSpies11 (https://twitter.com/#%21/BenSpies11) Well that didn't work out well. Didn't let the front heat up then the bike tried to rip my helmet off! 2nd bike didn't run so that sucked!

ouch!! that does not sound good...

Dutch
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I think Stoner is going to be hard to beat this year. I have been following Spies and Hayden on twitter and they both seemed pretty upbeat after FP1. I dont know what they are thinking allowing the slow bikes on the grid. I just hope that it does not cause a crash with a leader coming by to lap them. Well unless its Dani P. and then I would be thrilled. I would really like to see a tight championship with all of the riders being able to stay healthy but time will tell on that one. This is a pretty kewl pic Spies put out yesterday...

https://twitter.com/#!/BenSpies11/status/187996174341521408/photo/1/large

Awesome shot, and I love the "Anyone got a fast skateboard and some marshmellows" tag line!

I'm with you as far as Stoner goes. He keeps this up and he'll end up rivalling countryman Mic Doohan's 5 straight accomplishment (He's already passed Wayne Gardener). I follow Ben, Nicky, and Colin as well. Known Nicky (not well, but enough for him to say "Hey" to me at Indy in '08) since he was a youngen' at the GNCC Nationals. Been a huge fan of Ben's from day one, you could just see the natural talent in "Elbows" (besides, as a former motocrosser I've always had the same style/habit). As for Colin, well his 2002 title battle with Troy Bayliss remains one of the best race seasons of any kind I've ever seen. Especially the last race battle for the championship, truely Epic in every way. The class, freindship, and clean hard racing Troy and Colin demonstrated that whole season was amazing. I understand the fan concerns about the slower CRT bikes, and frankly as a racer I bet most of the riders privately feel the same way. However, most of them are all saying the same thing: we need to find a way to get the grids up. In this world economy that is a challenge. Just hope it doesn't lead to anyone getting seriously hurt, or adversly effect the championship in any way. Even for Dani P.Ha! Funny story. In Indy '08, we were staying in the same hotel as quite a few of the teams. Got on the elevator and who gets on with us, Dani Pedrosa. We were sporting HRC gear in support of Nicky, but he piped right up thanking us for supporting their team. Turned out to be a very cool guy who took an hour out of his time to stop by our group and sign gear, telling a couple of stories and just generallybeing very nice. He loves the US, and understands everyone being PO'ed after nearly taking out Nicky and ruining the championship for him. Called it the single biggest mistake he had ever made on a motorcycle.

rideco
04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I was at that same race in 08 with the hurricane. Cant wait for motogp season to start but I have been watching SBK and super cross in the mean time. I really wish Chad Reed would have stayed healthy this year and given RV a little competition.

Kewl story about Dani. Only famous rider I have met was Max Biaggi at the SBK race in UT. I was back behind the pits after one of the practices and saw him. He was very nice to me for the few mins we talked and I wished him the best. I am still a fan of his and love the way he races.

Dutch
04-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I was at that same race in 08 with the hurricane. Cant wait for motogp season to start but I have been watching SBK and super cross in the mean time. I really wish Chad Reed would have stayed healthy this year and given RV a little competition.

Kewl story about Dani. Only famous rider I have met was Max Biaggi at the SBK race in UT. I was back behind the pits after one of the practices and saw him. He was very nice to me for the few mins we talked and I wished him the best. I am still a fan of his and love the way he races.

Yeah, the weather in '08 was a beotch! I've been enjoying SBK and Supercross, as well. I feel terrible for Reed and for Dungy as well (big KTM fan, raced some Hare Scrambles for Barry Higgins and H&H KTM here in Georgia for a couple of seasons). It sucked the life out of what was shaping up to be a great season. Real happy for Max. It is nice to see him doing well and in such a good place, not to mention his relationship with Aprilia. I've been pretty fortunate that my group of riding buddies includes quite a few of the guys from Speed TV. Most of them from back in the Speedvision days (when the network was still primarily about all things racing). At 45, I'm the young buck in the group. Love that track out in Utah and would like to get on it someday.