PDA

View Full Version : PFT states Broncos interested in Okoye, and it maybe mutual.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
From a story on the Bucs...
Okoye isnít likely to return to Chicago, but he isnít a sure thing to wind up in Tampa either. While Stephen Holder of the Tampa Bay Times reports that Okoye is interested in the Bucs, they are competing with the Broncos and Bengals for his services. Their choice might be Okoye, but they arenít sitting around twiddling their thumbs while he makes his decision.

They said Cincinatti canceled his visit last week, and it may have pissed him off.

If we offer enough money, we get him ... he's finally grown up, and could be a beast with Doom, Von and Ayers.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Come on in Okoye, play for the Broncos, you know you'll have an opportunity to shine in this defense!!

Frosty78
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Adam Caplan ‏ <s>@</s>caplannfl (https://twitter.com/#%21/caplannfl)

Amobi Okoye's visit with the <s>#</s>Bengals (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Bengals) has been rescheduled for Sunday/Monday, a source confirmed.

DBroncos4life
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
If we get him I still want Bannan.

Dutch
04-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Same here.:thumbsup:

Drunken.Broncoholic
04-06-2012, 11:41 AM

We're so depleted at DT, if we get him I still want bannan and a first round DT

Dedhed
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Git 'er done!

Requiem
04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Watch Denver resort to trash heap signings and neglect DT again. Us fans can never catch a fuggin break with these dickclowns callin' the shots.

DBroncos4life
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
We're so depleted at DT, if we get him I still want bannan and a first round DTI agree, though I could live witht he BPA i the first round and the best DT in the second round.

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Manning effect.

Solid starter. I'd take him.

Still prefer Bunkley. Okoye might be cheaper though.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
We're so depleted at DT, if we get him I still want bannan and a first round DT

Quoted For Truth.

Unless there's a crazy corner available.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Okoye and Bannan would be great heading into the draft.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Manning effect.

Why Bunkley? Older without as much upside, I'd say... and we could probably get Okoye for 4-5 mill per? What's the market value for this guy?

Schefter said we still have 15 mill in cap space - top 10 in the NFL.

Chris
04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Is he a three down player

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Is he a three down player

Dunno if he is yet. He could be developed into one.

I'm thinking Bannan and Vickerson and Okoye and Warren and McBean (I suppose) plus a high pick is a good rotation.

Question is, do we still want Marcus Thomas? I say if he'll come back cheap, then yes. We could actually be really deep at DT if we pulled these options - which all seem to be based on our choice.

Thomas has been tweeting about wanting to stay in Denver.

I like Okoye because he's young. So's Thomas. Maybe we skip Bannan, and go with Thomas and Okoye, then draft a DT. Good youth movement.

barryr
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Okoye is still young enough to believe he has a chance to be around awhile and would very likely start for the Broncos. But this team still needs more help at DT since Warren and Vickerson are not sure things to say the least and the others at the DT spot on the roster are not NFL players.

Drek
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Manning effect.

Wouldn't this potentially be the Dumervil effect?

Losing Bunkley is why we need Bannan and to draft a long term prospect for NT, Okoye will fill a different role and we might actually see some real interior pass rush with him on the team.

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Dunno if he is yet. He could be developed into one.

I'm thinking Bannan and Vickerson and Okoye and Warren and McBean (I suppose) plus a high pick is a good rotation.

Question is, do we still want Marcus Thomas? I say if he'll come back cheap, then yes. We could actually be really deep at DT if we pulled these options - which all seem to be based on our choice.

Thomas has been tweeting about wanting to stay in Denver.

I like Okoye because he's young. So's Thomas. Maybe we skip Bannan, and go with Thomas and Okoye, then draft a DT. Good youth movement.

Okoye is more of a three-down guy than Bunkley, but Okoye would play UT in this system... assuming we sign him and Bannan, that would leave Okoye, Vickerson and Bannan at UT, and only Warren at NT.

Donatri Poe looks to be a good NT but wont be available at 25.

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm baffled at the sudden interest in Bannan. People hated him when he was here.

bpc
04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I would love to have this signing. Our DT position is PAINFUL to look at. Wonder if we can trade picks for any vets? We need a massive amount of help and I hate going into the draft locked in on one position because of need. That usually never works for us.

delany
04-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Losing Bunkley is why we need Bannan and to draft a long term prospect for NT, Okoye will fill a different role and we might actually see some real interior pass rush with him on the team.

Playing a ton more with a lead with a Manning lead O makes this infinitely more valuable this year.

McDman
04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Manning effect.

I'd prefer Suh.

Bmore Manning
04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Like Okoye for UT, although he's only average against the run. But I think he would be a solid signing, I'm just not a fan of Bannan..

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Just looked Okoye up. The dude went to "Robert Lee High School" in Huntsville, Alabama.

Kinda funny that a guy who fought for slavery is still celebrated down there.

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Just looked Okoye up. The dude went to "Robert Lee High School" in Huntsville, Alabama.

...the civil war was about a LOT more than slavery, fyi.

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 12:42 PM

That's what they say in the south...

Requiem
04-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Should check up his views on slavery.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
To me - this is a 'save the off-season on defense' signing. We HAVE to do it.

If we can get Thomas and Bannon back cheaply, too, then we can go into the draft, and go for anything... DT's LB's S's CB's RB's ... whatever is best value.

I think for a minimal amount we could have Okoye, Bannon and Thomas on the roster. Two young guys, and a grizzled vet. Team them with Vickerson and Warren, and that's a solid squad.

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 12:47 PM
That's what they say in the south...

I think you should go ask for a refund on your "education"...

TonyR
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
For those getting excited about this I'm pretty sure this is the same report we've been discussing in numerous threads the last couple of days. There's nothing new here.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/amobi-okoye-likely-finished-with-bears/

lonestar
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Okoye is more of a three-down guy than Bunkley, but Okoye would play UT in this system... assuming we sign him and Bannan, that would leave Okoye, Vickerson and Bannan at UT, and only Warren at NT.

Donatri Poe looks to be a good NT but wont be available at 25.

they issue in DEN @mile high is not playing 3 downs only, it is most likely 6-9 downs and most of the really biggies are not going to be able to handle that..

Frankly I'll take any or all of them if we can fix this hole we have had forever..

bendog
04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I would love to have this signing. Our DT position is PAINFUL to look at. Wonder if we can trade picks for any vets? We need a massive amount of help and I hate going into the draft locked in on one position because of need. That usually never works for us.

Oh, I'm ok with being locked onto a position if the draft is deep in that position. There are three UT's slated to go somewhere around Den's pick, and I'm not sure that Thompson isn't the best 4-3 A gap, and he could be there for the second rd pick, even if Den had to move up 5-7 slots.

I don't think its a coicidence EFX didnt throw money at this position by matching bunkley's offer.

And it makes some sense in that rookie DT's are probably better able to rotate on passing situations. A guy like Shaun Rodgers may still be able to give 20 quality snaps as the A gap guy, but he's not gonna be much of a force getting penetration.

EFX will bring is some FA DT(s), but I honestly don't think the market has dropped as much as it will.

A few weeks ago, I thought they might throw money at DT and target a guy like Hill, who could have a huge impact in 2013, but who is too raw to do much now, but given that they spent money on TE and WR, I think that's unlikely. Though, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they took a RB in the second, and think Pierce or Turbin would attract them in the third.

Agamemnon
04-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I think you should go ask for a refund on your "education"...

Rev trying to cure Smurf of his stupidity. How cute.

maher_tyler
04-06-2012, 01:05 PM

I would be ok with this. Hopefully we'll be playing with more leads forcing teams to pass more. It'd be nice to get some pass rush up the middle for once.

Dutch
04-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Especially where Lee was concerned. For Lee it was ALL about Virginia. When they voted to secede, that was the end of any debate for Lee. He was always and would remain so to his death, first and formost a Virginian. People today cannot comprehend how differently the people of this country viewed the United States as a whole. The loyalties were to their home states first. The main reason that the Civil War is viewed with such reverance by historians is not just the freeing of the slaves (as historic and overdue an event as it was). It was the forging of this county by blood into one unified nation instead of a loosely connected group of nation states without a common vision. The greatness of Abraham Lincoln was in his unwavering belief that we must not allow the disolvement of the Union. It is no accident that The Union is what the States that remained true to a national view were referred to.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Saying that it's down to 3 suitors, we're one of them, the Bucs are moving on to second tier players, and the whole thing with the Bengals was blown off once, I think this is possible, and an update saying - it looks like it's down to us or the Bungals. Come on.

Putting other teams in MUST passing downs with Manning, and building a rush around Ayers, Okoye, Dumervil, Von and my grandmother would be fearsome. Install another early pick, guys we have, and we have the chops at DL for the first time in a LOOOOONG time. I can't remember how long.

How long has it been? Super Bowl seasons?

Houshyamama
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Especially where Lee was concerned. For Lee it was ALL about Virginia. When they voted to secede, that was the end of any debate for Lee. He was always and would remain so to his death, first and formost a Virginian. People today cannot comprehend how differently the people of this country viewed the United States as a whole. The loyalties were to their home states first. The main reason that the Civil War is viewed with such reverance by historians is not just the freeing of the slaves (as historic and overdue an event as it was). It was the forging of this county by blood into one unified nation instead of a loosely connected group of nation states without a common vision. The greatness of Abraham Lincoln was in his unwavering belief that we must not allow the disolvement of the Union. It is no accident that The Union is what the States that remained true to a national view were referred to.

Nope. It was only about black people.

Pick Six
04-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Nope. It was only about YOU people.

FYP...:afro:

bronco militia
04-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Rev trying to cure Smurf of his stupidity. How cute.

Ha!Ha!Ha!

MABroncoFan
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/06/bucs-talking-to-derek-landri-amobi-okoye/

TonyR
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/06/bucs-talking-to-derek-landri-amobi-okoye/

It's funny how most of the comments are from Eagles fans hoping/wishing the Eagles would keep Derek Landri. Another guy I'm not sure why the Broncos don't at least consider taking a look at.

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 02:44 PM
It's funny how most of the comments are from Eagles fans hoping/wishing the Eagles would keep Derek Landri. Another guy I'm not sure why the Broncos don't at least consider taking a look at.

His past two teams and coaches haven't given him a lick of consideration or made even vague attempts to bring him back/in.

What does that tell you?

DBroncos4life
04-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Well he has been coached by our DC and HC, if they don't want him now then they must not think much of him. I shared your views on the move but, there must be more to it then we know.

TonyR
04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
His past two teams and coaches haven't given him a lick of consideration or made even vague attempts to bring him back/in.

What does that tell you?

It tells me he's in a similar situation as Amobe Okoye and Justin Bannan and Aubrayo Franklin and Trevor Laws and Shaun Rogers: he's an unemployed DT that doesn't have much demand for his services. But I do understand what you're saying. The fact that Del Rio and Fox both coached him before and apparently aren't interested is not a good sign for him.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 04:00 PM
It tells me he's in a similar situation as Amobe Okoye and Justin Bannan and Aubrayo Franklin and Trevor Laws and Shaun Rogers: he's an unemployed DT that doesn't have much demand for his services. But I do understand what you're saying. The fact that Del Rio and Fox both coached him before and apparently aren't interested is not a good sign for him.

Wrong.

Bears wanted Okoye back.

TonyR
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Wrong.

Bears wanted Okoye back.

So then he's not still an unrestricted free agent? Where/how am I "wrong"?

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Getting better offers elsewhere doesn't mean the "home team" doesn't want him. In fact, Houston only dumped him because of his contract # as well.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Rev said that Landri was unwanted by his last two teams, basically.

Comparing him to guys who their past teams just let go... his past team wanted him back. He said he didn't like the situation and left on his own.

He was a great prospect a few years back, and I think his best years are in front of him.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Lee would have been president, and a better one than Grant, had he fought for us yankees.

TonyR
04-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Getting better offers elsewhere doesn't mean the "home team" doesn't want him. In fact, Houston only dumped him because of his contract # as well.

If he's looking for big $ I doubt the Broncos are really interested since supposedly they're only looking at vet minimum type deals, unless that's all posturing.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Nope. It was only about black people.

40 acres and a mule.

TonyR
04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
He said he didn't like the situation and left on his own.

He was a great prospect a few years back, and I think his best years are in front of him.

Re the bolded part I haven't heard this. From the article linked below sounds like it's about $.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-04/sports/ct-spt-0405-emery-bears-chicago--20120405_1_emery-israel-idonije-bears

"Right now, Amobi is trying to decide which direction he is going," Emery said. "We've had conversations with him. So far, we have not been able to work out a deal..."

Agree with you that he's a good prospect. I'd love for the Broncos to sign him up. He had a decent season:

While he started only one game last season, Okoye was second behind Henry Melton for playing time among interior linemen at 54.9 percent. He had four sacks and 27 quarterback pressures and coach Lovie Smith called it a "heck of a year" at the scouting combine when he indicated the team hoped Okoye would return.

bowtown
04-06-2012, 04:24 PM

It was mostly about oil.

p7superfly
04-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Re the bolded part I haven't heard this. From the article linked below sounds like it's about $.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-04/sports/ct-spt-0405-emery-bears-chicago--20120405_1_emery-israel-idonije-bears

Agree with you that he's a good prospect. I'd love for the Broncos to sign him up. He had a decent season:

"The Bears have hoped to re-sign Amobi Okoye but speaking on a conference call with season-ticket holders, the general manager said the defensive tackle likely is headed elsewhere." From the article you quoted. Not sure if that infers money - but if it does, throw some at him.

He turns 25 this summer. That article basically says what the TB article from today does, but about Chicago. They aren't waiting for him, don't expect to sign him, and will draft heavily on the defensive side of the ball.

Broncos_OTM
04-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Echoed...

Broncos_OTM
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Lee would have been president, and a better one than Grant, had he fought for us yankees.

Grant was a drunkard pos

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Grant was the most corrupt president the US has ever had.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 09:32 PM

I dunno, I guess he could have contributed to the graft and corruption because he was drunk and lead astray but I aways thought the guys after him were worse those guys allowed the bosses to build machines that ran rampant on the local levels, guys like Big Bill Thompson in Chicago and the dude in NY who's name escapes me now, Leo La Guardia I think, among others.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM

nah. Granted (pun intended) he wasn't one of the brighter stars of the presidency.

Mogulseeker
04-06-2012, 10:52 PM
nah. Granted (pun intended) he wasn't one of the brighter stars of the presidency.

We're talking Ulysees, right? The dude who appointed all his buddies to cabinet positions - not matter how incompetent - for business favors...

Grant was the original crony capitalism guy.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 10:54 PM
We're talking Ulysees, right? The dude who appointed all his buddies to cabinet positions - not matter how incompetent - for business favors...

Grant was the original crony capitalism guy.

You mean like politcal favors, like what Obama did when he got into office?

Broncobiv
04-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Careful guys. Things are getting off-track. The OP is bound to delete the entire thread any minute now!

Oh wait, never mind...pricejj didn't start this thread. We're safe.

pricejj
04-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Careful guys. Things are getting off-track. The OP is bound to delete the entire thread any minute now!

Oh wait, never mind...pricejj didn't start this thread. We're safe.

i deleted a thread because no one was posting in it any more, get over it loser.

Broncobiv
04-07-2012, 12:41 AM
i deleted a thread because no one was posting in it any more, get over it loser.

Yeah...that makes sense. If every thread was deleted once people stopped posting, the entire OM would be like 2 pages worth of threads!

pricejj
04-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Yeah...that makes sense. If every thread was deleted once people stopped posting, the entire OM would be like 2 pages worth of threads!

Yeah, I won't do it again. I didn't think anyone cared, or was paying attention.

Br0nc0Buster
04-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I won't do it again. I didn't think anyone cared, or was paying attention.

http://windycitizensports.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/jared-crick-nebraska-big-ten-mvp.jpg

crick cares

Bacchus
04-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Okoya plays like a marshmallow. I'd prefer Bannan to him and he'll be cheaper.

Houshyamama
04-07-2012, 01:39 AM

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Ha!

pricejj
04-07-2012, 02:11 AM
LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Ha!

Right?? sheesh