PDA

View Full Version : who has the best fried chicken in denver

Requiem
04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
fried chicken is my favorite food and i wanna be super happy on my birthday so please tell me where the best place to get fried chicken.

thank you kind sirs.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
kfc is pretty freaking good

CEH
04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
White fence farm
Family style chicken
Wadsworth and jewel

Jason in LA
04-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Just curious. How often do you eat fried chicken?

Ratboy
04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
fried chicken and texas pete... mmhmmm.

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Isn't kind of hard to screw up fried chicken?

Mogulseeker
04-05-2012, 05:51 PM
White fence farm
Family style chicken
Wadsworth and jewel

This times a million.

White Fence Farm is great.

Mogulseeker
04-05-2012, 05:52 PM
fried chicken and texas pete... mmhmmm.

They do that in the Air Force too? Thought it was a Navy thing.

theAPAOps5
04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
This thread is racist..........

White fence farm!

bombay
04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
3rd the White Fence Farm.

SpringStein
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
If you are in the Castle Rock area, Castle Cafe has great fried chicken.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Try "wishbone". on federal and 100th.

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Popeyes on east colfax. Just walk around down there round midnight, you'll find it, maybe...

Requiem
04-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Just curious. How often do you eat fried chicken?

twice a week easily

Requiem
04-05-2012, 06:29 PM
looks like white fence farm will be it

thanks for voting

Ratboy
04-05-2012, 06:41 PM
They do that in the Air Force too? Thought it was a Navy thing.

Anything to make this deployment fried chicken better.

oubronco
04-05-2012, 07:52 PM
White fence farm fried chicken sure does look good

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/white%20fence%20farms%20chicken.jpg

Chris
04-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Doing fried chicken really well takes considerable skill. I've only had great fried chicken once (it's not the most popular thing here in NYC). Then again, I haven't eaten anything fried in a couple years.

Rohirrim
04-05-2012, 08:00 PM

Not true. Great fried chicken is an art. Easy to screw up.

Meck77
04-05-2012, 08:37 PM
135 yelp reviews can't be wrong. Never been here though.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/toms-home-cookin-denver#query:chicken

Yelp is the way to find the best food in America. Been using it for years. When you find a place that has at least a couple dozen reviews and 4-5 stars I've never been disappointed yet.

Broncojef
04-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the thread, I'll have to try this place.

Archedamian
04-05-2012, 11:57 PM
I didn't realize White Fence Farm was a chain. There is one in the Chicago suburbs.

Bronco Boy
04-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Doing fried chicken really well takes considerable skill. I've only had great fried chicken once (it's not the most popular thing here in NYC). Then again, I haven't eaten anything fried in a couple years.

You should check out Mama's Food Shop.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Tom's Home Cookin'

Steubin's

Never been to White Fence Farm, but it looks like the truth.

If you like chicken and biscuits and it's the morning time, head over to Denver Biscuit Co. inside The Atomic Cowboy on Colfax. Sweet sassy molassy.

Boobs McGee
04-06-2012, 07:45 AM
White fence farm!!! Go there every Xmas eve...not only incredible chicken...but as MANY corn fritters as you can eat. Incredible .

bfoflcommish
04-06-2012, 08:19 AM
Wishbone. Its not quite 104th and federal its more like 100th and federal. great chicken great prices

HILife
04-06-2012, 09:19 AM
http://createdintheattic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/roscoes1.jpg

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Sadly not in Denver. Because damn, I loves me some Roscoe's.

Beantown Bronco
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM

Dude. I just went to this place last weekend when I was in NYC for the B's games against the Islanders and Rangers and it was GREAT! Right in Times Square area.

The hush puppies appetizer was awesome, as was their cornbread and fried chicken. We stumbled upon this place by accident and I'd definitely go back.

http://www.virgilsbbq.com/menus/dining.php

bendog
04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000009/

Pony Boy
04-06-2012, 10:09 AM
fried chicken is my favorite food and i wanna be super happy on my birthday so please tell me where the best place to get fried chicken.

thank you kind sirs.

You need to marry a southern girl but make sure to taste her mother's fried chicken first and also check out how she still looks over 40.......

TheReverend
04-06-2012, 10:18 AM
You need to marry a southern girl but make sure to taste her mother's fried chicken first and also check out how she still looks over 40.......

Get a solid warranty (prenup) and when she's getting up there in mileage, trade her in for a new one.

Pony Boy
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Get a solid warranty (prenup) and when she's getting up there in mileage, trade her in for a new one.

The one's you have to watch out for are the beautiful Hawaiian girls, they go from a thong bikini to weighing 400 lbs and wearing a muumuu over night, nothing in between.

Dutch
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM

Yelp is the way to find the best food in America. Been using it for years. When you find a place that has at least a couple dozen reviews and 4-5 stars I've never been disappointed yet.

Just a quick shout out and thanks for posting the link to that site, Meck. I also wanted to thank you for the 4 hours of my life I lost last night while researching restaurants on it!;D I checked reviews/ratings of places my wife and I enjoy or despise, and it lined up perfectly. I then located about 25 establishments within 15-20 miles of us we've never been to. Some we had considered, some we didn't even know existed. Seriously, thanks again. Very cool and useful link.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I didn't realize White Fence Farm was a chain. There is one in the Chicago suburbs.

Me too, I have been to the one in IL. Didn't know they had more spread out through out the US.

Meck77
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Just a quick shout out and thanks for posting the link to that site, Meck. I also wanted to thank you for the 4 hours of my life I lost last night while researching restaurants on it!;D I checked reviews/ratings of places my wife and I enjoy or despise, and it lined up perfectly. I then located about 25 establishments within 15-20 miles of us we've never been to. Some we had considered, some we didn't even know existed. Seriously, thanks again. Very cool and useful link.

Right on. I've posted it a number of times and always tell my friends about it. Always surprises me how many people have not heard of it or even use it.

My restaurant dollars have gone twice as far as they would have since I discovered this site a couple years ago.

What's cool is you can even find out what's good to order in a restaurant that isn't known for "being good" or what to avoid in a "Great" restaurant. Heck I've gone so far as to request waiters I've never met before based on reviews and gotten better service because I mentioned I found them on yelp!

It's getting harder for restaurants to push **** food and bad service with sites like this.

DBroncos4life
04-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Right on. I've posted it a number of times and always tell my friends about it. Always surprises me how many people have not heard of it or even use it.

My restaurant dollars have gone twice as far as they would have since I discovered this site a couple years ago.

What's cool is you can even find out what's good to order in a restaurant that isn't known for "being good" or what to avoid in a "Great" restaurant. Heck I've gone so far as to request waiters I've never met before based on reviews and gotten better service because I mentioned I found them on yelp!

It's getting harder for restaurants to push **** food and bad service with sites like this.

Yeah Yelp is awesome, foursquare can be helpful as well.

Orange_Beard
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Tom's Home Cookin'

800 E 26th Ave
Denver, CO 80205
Neighborhoods: Northwest, Curtis Park
(303) 388-8035

I think it's only open for lunch.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Tom's Home Cookin'

800 E 26th Ave
Denver, CO 80205
Neighborhoods: Northwest, Curtis Park
(303) 388-8035

I think it's only open for lunch.

True, and if you get there too late, they'll be out of stuff. But the peach cobbler will make you believe in god, you heathens.

Jason in LA
04-06-2012, 12:10 PM

That place is as overrated as Pinks Hotdogs.

The chicken and waffles at Roscoes is decent, but not great. It's really popular because it's a great hangout spot. It's the place to be. As long as the food is decent people will keep going just because it's popular.

Captain 'Dre
04-06-2012, 12:32 PM

thank you kind sirs.

Just about ANY fried chicken is 'killer' when you consider the cholesterol count. Are you sure you can't find some entree that won't be the death of you?

Dutch
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Just about ANY fried chicken is 'killer' when you consider the cholesterol count. Are you sure you can't find some entree that won't be the death of you?

God forbid you die happy.::) It's his birthday, lighten up Lieutenant.

Tombstone RJ
04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
well since it's his birthday I'm gonna keep telling him to go to Popeyes on East Colfax. He can get his fried chicken and a hooker. both pretty cheap too.

WolfpackGuy
04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Fried chicken begins and ends with Bojangles'.

Beantown Bronco
04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
well since it's his birthday I'm gonna keep telling him to go to Popeyes on East Colfax. He can get his fried chicken and a hooker. both pretty cheap too.

And be sure to say "hi" to my adopt a bronco while you're over there.

Jason in LA
04-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Well he did say that he ate fried chicken twice a week. Everybody's body is different, but that could be a bit much. If you're young you can get away with it. But long term that's not good.

There is one extreme case that I know about. Golden Bird used to be big time in LA, and they made great fried chicken. Mostly in the inner city. The owner's son was good friends with one of my older brothers. My brother once asked him how often he ate his family's product (this guy took over the business.) He said everyday. Yeah, he dropped dead of a heart attack in his early 40s. No shocker there. I don't think the guy was over weight either, so he must have thought that it wasn't effecting him.

I eat fried chicken maybe a couple times a month. The stuff is good, but I can't get with that stuff often.

bronco militia
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
in before baja see's this thread!

http://whatsinyourcolon.com/imgs/colon%20cleansing%20pictures%207.jpg

bendog
04-06-2012, 01:48 PM
I knew this thread was gonna end up in the toilet. I remember when I could eat fried chix too, and it was good.

broncosteven
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Everything in moderation

Archer81
04-06-2012, 03:38 PM
kfc is pretty freaking good

You need to look up the definition of good. I dont think you know what it means.

:Broncos:

Archer81
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Odds are if the mother makes good fried chicken her body will resemble a humanoid shaped dumptruck at 40.

pricejj
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
You need to look up the definition of good. I dont think you know what it means.

I like it. I will try out these other favorites too.

I like the $3.99 8 piece at King Soopers after 9:00pm, as well, with some a dem jalepeno's and hot sauce.

hambone13
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Tom's Home Cook'n is the best fried chicken I've ever had, any where. They make it fresh to order so order ahead or be ready to wait a while in the hood.

Requiem
04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Well he did say that he ate fried chicken twice a week. Everybody's body is different, but that could be a bit much. If you're young you can get away with it. But long term that's not good.

There is one extreme case that I know about. Golden Bird used to be big time in LA, and they made great fried chicken. Mostly in the inner city. The owner's son was good friends with one of my older brothers. My brother once asked him how often he ate his family's product (this guy took over the business.) He said everyday. Yeah, he dropped dead of a heart attack in his early 40s. No shocker there. I don't think the guy was over weight either, so he must have thought that it wasn't effecting him.

I eat fried chicken maybe a couple times a month. The stuff is good, but I can't get with that stuff often.

. . . and I'm sure the average person my age is going to fast food restaurants a half dozen times a week. I'm not going to be a hypocrite on health choices and eating right, I should be on a strict diet due to what has happened with my kidneys and that includes low sodium intake. I also shouldn't smoke cigarettes as well, but have been cutting away at that habit slowly and with progress.

In nine months out in the High Rockies, I've lost a lot of body fat and weight. I've taken off ~ five inches off my waist size. I live in an environment where it takes a lot more for your body to work. I'm active every day. I will hike at least three hours on any given day because of how therapeutic it is for me and I'm impressed with the results. I can actually fit into clothes I wore when I was 17/18 (yeah, I'm a pack rat) and I feel pretty good about it.

Losing weight and body fat isn't an indicator of being holistically healthy, but I can say I've made changes for the better. I'm thankful for the health concerns, but fried chicken is certainly my favorite food. Just wanted to chow down on some good grub before I fly out of DIA in a few weeks.

Cheers and thanks ya'll.

Requiem
04-06-2012, 06:06 PM

I am sure I could, but it's my birthday and I'll eat a whole 8 piece if I want to.

Arkie
04-06-2012, 06:10 PM
You'll have to get some Whitey's Chicken if you come down to Arkansas. It's probably the best chicken in the world.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ERdyIv8jDWY/TEW62ZOqCDI/AAAAAAAAKAM/eWR6DQbkWqs/s400/4573271213_03a9d8893c.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ERdyIv8jDWY/TEW62DBEvFI/AAAAAAAAKAE/xdVajV3egXI/s400/ChickenBBQ.jpg

Requiem
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
You'll have to get some Whitey's Chicken if you come down to Arkansas. It's probably the best chicken in the world.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ERdyIv8jDWY/TEW62ZOqCDI/AAAAAAAAKAM/eWR6DQbkWqs/s400/4573271213_03a9d8893c.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ERdyIv8jDWY/TEW62DBEvFI/AAAAAAAAKAE/xdVajV3egXI/s400/ChickenBBQ.jpg

Other than some camping and outdoorsmanship, you might have just given me the only other reason to ever go to that state. :wiggle:

Wow, that looks absolutely phenomenal.

theAPAOps5
04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
The wife just seconded Toms home cooking. Her coworkers go all the time. It is on my todo list this week!

Requiem
04-06-2012, 06:27 PM
You guys seriously rock thank yoU!!!

UberBroncoMan
04-06-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/el_pollo_loco_chicken.jpg

Mexican Chicken is ****ing good stuff.

UberBroncoMan
04-06-2012, 06:29 PM
The wife just seconded Toms home cooking. Her coworkers go all the time. It is on my todo list this week!

Just remember it's CASH ONLY. No exceptions.

hambone13
04-06-2012, 06:45 PM

This is true. Also, they will do bulk orders if you want to take it home and act like it's yours. They're fried Turkey is off the chains too, also pre-order.

Requiem
04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I've been wiping my ass with Hamilton's lately, so cash only is just fine.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-07-2012, 08:18 AM

This.

And for the love of sweet baby Jesus, get the peach cobbler.

Miss I.
04-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Try getting it England, they've found a way...fried chicken is not good here. They have KFC, but I tell you now, do not eat the chicken. It's terrible. And they don't have biscuits at KFC here either. no, trust me when I say the English don't do Fried Chicken or hamburgers well. Fish and chips though are a pretty safe bet.

DENVERDUI55
04-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't eat much fried chicken because it usually tastes like nasty recycled oil they use. Now that picture arkie posted that's my style.

Captain 'Dre
04-07-2012, 09:29 AM

I'm a bad guy for wishing him a longer life?

Requiem
04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
No you are ignorant for thinking eating fried chicken on my birthday is going to make a difference in how long I live.

Archer81
04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Everyone has food they love and should not eat. Mine is tacos; beef, chicken or fish. I eat enough of them to make me feel like I am dying for 3 days after, but its only once a year...or thereabouts.

Requiem
04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Everyone has food they love and should not eat. Mine is tacos; beef, chicken or fish. I eat enough of them to make me feel like I am dying for 3 days after, but its only once a year...or thereabouts.

I'm absolutely supposed to have minimal sodium intake with my kidney problems. I'm supposed to maintain a diet of fresh veggies, fruits and fish is the only accepted meat for me -- absolutely avoid red meats like the plague. Stuff like lentals and all that jazz. Up in Winter Park (where I live) everything is pretty expensive, and I don't make it down enough to an organic grocery to make it work it. It's hard reversing years of habit (growing up on pork, beef and potatoes) -- but I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job.

I'm flying back home in a few weeks and might move back to Fargo for more stable job prospects. The health food store there is as cheap as regular Safeway prices on goods here, so it might be a good alternative. It's also hard for me to eat "right" consistently when you are (was) at your job from 7 AM to 7 PM each day.

Archer81
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm absolutely supposed to have minimal sodium intake with my kidney problems. I'm supposed to maintain a diet of fresh veggies, fruits and fish is the only accepted meat for me -- absolutely avoid red meats like the plague. Stuff like lentals and all that jazz. Up in Winter Park (where I live) everything is pretty expensive, and I don't make it down enough to an organic grocery to make it work it. It's hard reversing years of habit (growing up on pork, beef and potatoes) -- but I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job.

I'm flying back home in a few weeks and might move back to Fargo for more stable job prospects. The health food store there is as cheap as regular Safeway prices on goods here, so it might be a good alternative. It's also hard for me to eat "right" consistently when you are (was) at your job from 7 AM to 7 PM each day.

I too have eaten pretty much whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it. As a result, I got fat, and stayed fat for quite awhile. Lately though (like the last 4 months) I've changed my diet and run. I'm down about 60 lbs. I should be below 200lbs by July, if the weight loss rate holds. I need to get a weight bench but that will have to wait awhile.

Its amazing how much weight you lose when you use less salt and give up all soda. Crazy stuff.

But having fried chicken on your birthday wont kill you. If you live long enough, it will happen anyway. A couple of friends of mine are moving to ND to work the oil fields out there. I'd go, but I've seen Fargo. I could not deal with that level of snow for that long, no matter the size of my paycheck. Good luck to you, my friend.

Anikai
04-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Wishbone was the spot when I was a kid, look it up its on Federal?

oubronco
04-07-2012, 01:47 PM

Where in Arkansas is this?

HILife
04-07-2012, 02:28 PM
That place is as overrated as Pinks Hotdogs.

The chicken and waffles at Roscoes is decent, but not great. It's really popular because it's a great hangout spot. It's the place to be. As long as the food is decent people will keep going just because it's popular.

Never ate there, only heard of it. Don't think it's in my area.

HILife
04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/el_pollo_loco_chicken.jpg

Mexican Chicken is ****ing good stuff.

Peruvian chicken is great.
http://theeatenpath.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/super_pollo_peruvian_chicken.jpg

Dos Rios
04-07-2012, 03:52 PM
CoraFaye's: very homey, super nice people. Fried chicken inconsistent to be honest. Great some days, dry the next. Great pie. Priscilla happy to talk your ear off.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/corafayes-caf%C3%A9-and-catering-denver-4

Anyone remember the fried chicken place that used to be 29th and Fairfax?

Arkie
04-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Where in Arkansas is this?

It's in Rogers on the weekend.

BroncoBeavis
04-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I too have eaten pretty much whatever I felt like whenever I felt like it. As a result, I got fat, and stayed fat for quite awhile. Lately though (like the last 4 months) I've changed my diet and run. I'm down about 60 lbs. I should be below 200lbs by July, if the weight loss rate holds. I need to get a weight bench but that will have to wait awhile.

Its amazing how much weight you lose when you use less salt and give up all soda. Crazy stuff.

But having fried chicken on your birthday wont kill you. If you live long enough, it will happen anyway. A couple of friends of mine are moving to ND to work the oil fields out there. I'd go, but I've seen Fargo. I could not deal with that level of snow for that long, no matter the size of my paycheck. Good luck to you, my friend.

Oilfields, huh? The Rev's missing his window. :)

Boobs McGee
04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
BTW Req, I meant to ask you...where are you eating fried chicken twice a week up in WP? How's life up there?? Did you ever find a jeep?

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

maher_tyler
04-07-2012, 08:08 PM

You should have wished them luck on finding a place to live...heard its nuts up there

Archer81
04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
You should have wished them luck on finding a place to live...heard its nuts up there

You're not kidding. I dont really care to live in my car or a tent for 6 months.

Pony Boy
04-08-2012, 09:01 AM

I love grilled chicken but that's not fried chicken ....... apples and oranges.

The key to good fried chicken is to coat it in buttermilk before you bread it.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-08-2012, 09:04 AM

QFT!

CEH
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
http://www.hattiesrestaurant.com/

Upstate NY. His fried chicken beat Booby Flay's in the ultimate throwndown

Archer81
04-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Alot of things go into making good fried chicken. Quality of the meat, kind of chicken you are frying (breast, leg, thigh, wing) spices in the flour, crispness of the batter plus the sides.

Fried chicken with asparagus? Eh. FC with mashed potatoes? Now you are on to something.

chadta
04-08-2012, 09:43 AM
there is a place here that sells just deep fried chicken skins

wanna talk about being bad for you, you dont even have to eat all that yucky chicken and get to eat the skin.

http://www.goostakeout.com/menu.php

and Meck you use yelp, does anybody use urbanspoon ? its a mobile app, im in the service industry, so im on the road daily, i eat out alot, and it has helped me out a bunch to find some great places to eat in and around toronto.

Jason in LA
04-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Never ate there, only heard of it. Don't think it's in my area.

To my knowldege the only one is in Hollywood on La Brea and Melrose. The line usually wraps around the building. A lot of tourist go there to eat because it's so popular. I pass by it several times a week, but I've only been there twice. It's a good hotdog, but it's just a hotdog. Nothing special about it, so I wouldn't wait in a long line for it.

Requiem
04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Oil fields are booming, know a lot of people from home and out here in Colorado doing that too. Fargo, it doesn't snow that much -- it just gets really cold because of wind and no trees. Kids were skateboarding outside @ The Dike in December and January this year.

And thanks, I'm pretty much up over 3G's again and in the same position as I was last year in August. The Fraser Valley just isn't a place you can really have a stable living and move up in the world, and I like Denver -- but that city is just too big for me right now. :)

BroncoBen
04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Popeyes on east colfax. Just walk around down there round midnight, you'll find it, maybe...

!Booya! Hey now.. every time we go to Denver we always go to Popeyes on East Colfax, they do know how to serve chicken.

Now I won't go there at midnight.. for obvious reasons.

Requiem
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
BTW Req, I meant to ask you...where are you eating fried chicken twice a week up in WP? How's life up there?? Did you ever find a jeep?

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

I usually make it myself, I have a family recipe and it's bomb. King Soopers chicken if I don't make it myself, lol.

Life up here has been good, but my life out here is coming to and end. I really enjoyed my time out here and had a blast over the ski season. Instead of getting a jeep right now, I'm taking my money and going back home for a while. Grandpa is getting moved into a nursing home since my grandma has advanced lung cancer and is going through radiation therapy for the next six weeks. Bad timing, since I was in line to get a landscaping job for the summer -- but I figure I'd be a man, hold down the fort and get the house ready to sell.

Plus, I owe it to them to go and see them. I'll be back out in Colorado before long, but just want to get back to stable work (non-seasonal) and generate more of an income.

Still wanna get a Jeep, but will wait until I'm employed again and will buy it outright. My dad said he'd go halvsies with me once I got FT employment again, just wants to make sure I can pay the bills. He wanted to get me a 2002 Ranger XLT (he likes Ford's) and I said F NO.

bendog
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM
My church has world class fried chix once a month and catfish too, though I prefer chix if its' fried. But roto-rooter on my aorta is something I want to avoid until I'm sure my wife's retirement is funded.

Captain 'Dre
04-10-2012, 10:13 AM
No you are ignorant for thinking eating fried chicken on my birthday is going to make a difference in how long I live.

Very well, then. Carry on! I wish you a long life anyway! Ha!

Captain 'Dre
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Good on ya, man! (Or perhaps it's "good off ya!")

Whenever I watch a game being played at Lambeau Field, it seems like more than half the crowd is 80 pounds overweight. I "get" that it's tougher to exercise regularly in that climate, but it seems like the general expectation there is that if you live to the age of 60, anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus.

I've read some persuasive stuff about how it's not eating fat that's so dangerous... it's SUGAR. Sugar causes a chemical chain reaction that results in the artery walls getting inflamed, and when they're inflamed, cholesterol sticks to those walls, causing the plaque that leads to blockages.

Anyone who puts effort and discipline into taking good care of their body is doing their loved ones a tremendous favor. Congrats on what you're accomplishing!

Meck77
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone who puts effort and discipline into taking good care of their body is doing their loved ones a tremendous favor. Congrats on what you're accomplishing!

I'd go a step further and this might sound strange but taking care of oneself is a benefit to society in general.

Beantown Bronco
04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I'd go a step further and this might sound strange but taking care of oneself is a benefit to society in general.

Dying young has benefits to society too, though. Probably more. :)

Requiem
04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Very well, then. Carry on! I wish you a long life anyway! Ha!

I'm now motivated than ever to become General Manager of KFC.

Captain 'Dre
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Dying young has benefits to society too, though. Probably more. :)

Only if you die cheaply and don't leave dependents who'll struggle without you. ugh!~

Captain 'Dre
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm now motivated than ever to become General Manager of KFC.

Ha!

Requiem
04-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Only if you die cheaply and don't leave dependents who'll struggle without you. ugh!~

Well, I couldn't tell you how many kids I have. Couldn't even tell your their names. I hung around Antonio Cromartie too much and his habits rubbed off on me.

Captain 'Dre
04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, I couldn't tell you how many kids I have. Couldn't even tell your their names. I hung around Antonio Cromartie too much and his habits rubbed off on me.

As I often say... since we all die eventually, I don't see any big rush to get there. :)

Requiem
04-10-2012, 12:37 PM
As I often say... since we all die eventually, I don't see any big rush to get there. :)

For sure, long life is something to cherish. I hope to live long, but since I'm a soon to be 25 year old with one bum kidney, the potential of blowing past 70 doesn't seem realistic. Maybe there will be some cure or magic down the road, but for what I have, there isn't. At any case, I'm lovin' life even with the ups and downs. If I made it to 50 I would call it good.

Dutch
04-10-2012, 12:39 PM
I usually make it myself, I have a family recipe and it's bomb. King Soopers chicken if I don't make it myself, lol.

Life up here has been good, but my life out here is coming to and end. I really enjoyed my time out here and had a blast over the ski season. Instead of getting a jeep right now, I'm taking my money and going back home for a while. Grandpa is getting moved into a nursing home since my grandma has advanced lung cancer and is going through radiation therapy for the next six weeks. Bad timing, since I was in line to get a landscaping job for the summer -- but I figure I'd be a man, hold down the fort and get the house ready to sell.

Plus, I owe it to them to go and see them. I'll be back out in Colorado before long, but just want to get back to stable work (non-seasonal) and generate more of an income.

Still wanna get a Jeep, but will wait until I'm employed again and will buy it outright. My dad said he'd go halvsies with me once I got FT employment again, just wants to make sure I can pay the bills. He wanted to get me a 2002 Ranger XLT (he likes Ford's) and I said F NO.

Good for you, Req. You'll be glad you did it in the long run, I know I am. I spent 6 months out in Arizona helping to take care of my Grandfather after my Grandmother passed. Was an amazing time. It was great to get to spend so much time with him. Lots of stories and lots of laughs. It was also a ton of work, but you'll be challenged to ever find anything you do more rewarding. I also helped to get their place ready to sell, and helped to get rid of a bunch of their things. It made it easier on them for me to handle it without the emotional attachment to the items. Boy were they packrats! 50+ years worth of stuff. Grandpa had a shed/shanty town/junk pile that covered 2 acres, and Grandma was a collector/craft type. Unbelievable the amount of stuff/junk/treasures. That alone took 3 months with over 20 trips to the dump, 30 to the scrapyard, and 40 to Goodwill. 2 Garage sales that netted over $4K each. Drop me a PM when you're ready to do the Jeep thing and I'll do what I can to help out. Nice call on the Ranger, agreed! Keep us posted, and good luck.

Dutch
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
For sure, long life is something to cherish. I hope to live long, but since I'm a soon to be 25 year old with one bum kidney, the potential of blowing past 70 doesn't seem realistic. Maybe there will be some cure or magic down the road, but for what I have, there isn't. At any case, I'm lovin' life even with the ups and downs. If I made it to 50 I would call it good.

I've always kind of agreed with Gonzo's take on it:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson