PDA

View Full Version : Broncos do have an intrest in ...

BroncoBen
04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
.. Amobi Okoye.

The Bears have hoped to re-sign defensive tackle Amobi Okoye but speaking on a conference call with season-ticket holders, general manager Phil Emery said the defensive tackle likely is headed elsewhere according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

"Right now, Amobi is trying to decide which direction he is going," Emery said. "We've had conversations with him. So far, we have not been able to work out a deal. Amobi is probably going in a different direction."

Okoye has drawn interest from the Bengals, Buccaneers, Broncos and Patriots.

Crushaholic
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Can we afford him?

jhns
04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Good thread titles are too hard for stupid people.

peacepipe
04-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Can we afford him?I believe so,going cheap on DL hasn't exactly been a winner for us. time to dish out some money.

g6matty
04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
3-5 year deal please. guy is coming into his prime

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
.. Amobi Okoye.

The Bears have hoped to re-sign defensive tackle Amobi Okoye but speaking on a conference call with season-ticket holders, general manager Phil Emery said the defensive tackle likely is headed elsewhere according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

"Right now, Amobi is trying to decide which direction he is going," Emery said. "We've had conversations with him. So far, we have not been able to work out a deal. Amobi is probably going in a different direction."

Okoye has drawn interest from the Bengals, Buccaneers, Broncos and Patriots.

Wonder if the Pats really want to pay for this guy or if they think he'll sign for less because they have a legit shot at a championship? It'd be nice if the Broncos got this guy and then drafted a few more DTs...

broncosteven
04-05-2012, 12:00 PM
too Bad Henry Melton isn't a FA but this guy would make a nice rotational guy.

Mogulseeker
04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I like the guy and hope we sign him...

But why is Okoye all the sudden considered some sort of great pickup? A downgrade from Bunkley, IMO.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 02:21 PM

But why is Okoye all the sudden considered some sort of great pickup? A downgrade from Bunkley, IMO.

As a run stopping DT yeah but, as a pass rushing DT he is an upgrade.

yerner
04-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Bunkley had one good contract year.

ColoradoDarin
04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Young and somewhere around average - better than what we have on the roster currently.

Frosty78
04-05-2012, 02:53 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20334414/justin-bannan-visits-broncos-defensive-tackle-option?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lestat
04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
ew
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20334414/justin-bannan-visits-broncos-defensive-tackle-option?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Really not feeling Justin Bannan... Would prefer Shaun Rodgers as the Veteran NT.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Really not feeling Justin Bannan... Would prefer Shaun Rodgers as the Veteran NT.

Bannan played here before and did a OK job in my mind.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Bannan played here before and did a OK job in my mind.

I understand that.. I also watched him in Baltimore, I'm not impressed with this, not even a little bit. I would pursue Rodgers as my stop gap NT. Rams were terrible in Run D, he and Fred Robbins got cut, but Denver wants this guy? Sad when one of the worst Ds in the NFL cut him and Denver has interest...

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 03:04 PM
ew

^THIS Ha!

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I understand that.. I also watched him in Baltimore, I'm not impressed with this, not even a little bit. I would pursue Rodgers as my stop gap NT. Rams were terrible in Run D, he and Fred Robbins got cut, but Denver wants this guy? Sad when one of the worst Ds in the NFL cut him and Denver has interest...

When he was with Denver we went from dead last to middle of the NFL. Schemes and DC have a big impact on players. Denver knows what he can and can't do so that helps. Also does anyone have interest in Rogers at all? It seems pretty quite in his camp, not a good sign really. Also Rogers numbers have been slipping the last two years years and took a really big dip over the last four seasons. Bannan on the other hand has been nothing short of consistent over the last five seasons. His tackles haven't dropped below 30 a season during that span, while Rogers has gone from 76, 36, 17, and 22.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 03:28 PM
When he was with Denver we went from dead last to middle of the NFL. Schemes and DC have a big impact on players. Denver knows what he can and can't do so that helps. Also does anyone have interest in Rogers at all? It seems pretty quite in his camp, not a good sign really. Also Rogers numbers have been slipping the last two years years and took a really big dip over the last four seasons. Bannan on the other hand has been nothing short of consistent over the last five seasons. His tackles haven't dropped below 30 a season during that span, while Rogers has gone from 76, 36, 17, and 22.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that most times your playing catchup with N.O.?
He is still one of the best run stoppers in the NFL, you need to stop being a Bronco biased homer. Bannan is not good.
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1124295-br-nfl-1000-top-64-defensive-tackles

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Could it have anything to do with the fact that most times your playing catchup with N.O.?
He is still one of the best run stoppers in the NFL, you need to stop being a Bronco biased homer. Bannan is not good.
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1124295-br-nfl-1000-top-64-defensive-tackles
Rogers played one season with the Saints dude and they don't seem to be worried about bringing back one of the best run defenders in the NFL.

Homer for a guy that played one year here? GTFO! I could care less about him, I just think he has way more left in the tank the Rogers at this point. As for the bleacherreport. I won't ever click their link to read that **** ever.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Justin Bannan sucks, your analysis of Rodgers is way off. He transitioned better to the 4-3 then Frankkin did. Soliai is one of the best NTs in football yet he doesn't have the stats to verify that. But if you watch him you know why he is one of the best.

Robbins played NT there, Bannan is just not the answer either of us should want.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/top-75-available-free-agents-updated-031412/

Rogers is 11th on that list and Bannan is 15th. They seem to share my views that Rogers is slowing down.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/14/top-75-available-free-agents-updated-031412/

Rogers is 11th on that list and Bannan is 15th. They seem to share my views that Rogers is slowing down.

I said stop gap NT, to share time with a rookie! He's still better than Bannan.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I said stop gap NT, to share time with a rookie! He's still better than Bannan.

Yeah I can tell by all the teams lining up to sign him. Ha!

pricejj
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Somebody is going to have to compete for backup UT with Vickerson...I don't see Ben Garland making the team.

If the Broncos sign Bannan, and not Okoye, you can bank the Broncos draft a UT in the 1st. Even if it is a reach. I am learning what to expect out of Xanders, his drafts, and his 'value signings'.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Justin Bannan sucks, your analysis of Rodgers is way off. He transitioned better to the 4-3 then Frankkin did. Soliai is one of the best NTs in football yet he doesn't have the stats to verify that. But if you watch him you know why he is one of the best.

Robbins played NT there, Bannan is just not the answer either of us should want.

It's Rogers not Rodgers and I'ver never said Bannan is all world just I prefer him to the aging Rogers at this point.

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
It's Rogers not Rodgers and I'ver never said Bannan is all world just I prefer him to the aging Rogers at this point.

Cool man.

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Cool man.

I question Rogers age and weight playing in Denver with Denver O going to more of a no huddle fast pace O.

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I can't believe Denver isn't chasing Okoye hard. He is the only one of the retreads left that has youth on his side and fits the UT perfect. Even Garay would be a welcome addition except I didn't realize SD resigned him. Hell at this point anything better than nothing would be better.

baja
04-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I can't believe Denver isn't chasing Okoye hard. He is the only one of the retreads left that has youth on his side and fits the UT perfect. Even Garay would be a welcome addition except I didn't realize SD resigned him. Hell at this point anything better than nothing would be better.

This

Sign him already take some of the pressure off of drafting for need. It's a no brainer

DBroncos4life
04-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Denver is trying to get him.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Denver is trying to get him.

Do you have proof of this? (other than the post which claims Denver MAY be in the mix)

It appears Denver is hell bent on not paying any DT fair market value...it's as if they are negotiationg with players by saying:

"We can draft a starting UT in the 1st round and only pay him $2M...how much will YOU play for?"

Using this tactic, they have pretty much pissed off any possible signees...

I remember someone yesterday saying they saw Bannan at DIA, they asked him if he was going to play for the Broncos and he said "If the pay is fair".

TonyR
04-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Two interesting tidbits...

...the other starter, Marcus Thomas, is mulling three offers, including one from Denver.

Top backup Ryan McBean, who played more snaps than Bunkley and Thomas last year...

Read more: Justin Bannan visits Broncos as defensive tackle option - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20334414/justin-bannan-visits-broncos-defensive-tackle-option?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1rDGLPjRS
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Bmore Manning
04-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I question Rogers age and weight playing in Denver with Denver O going to more of a no huddle fast pace O.

Fully get where your coming from. But he is the best run stuffer out there. I only suggested him as a stop gap to split time with a rookie. I wanted Soliai, and Red Bryant, Jason Jones to play UT.. But somehow DT became a non priority... I'd much rather they trade for someone.. I'm not sure who at this point..

lonestar
04-05-2012, 06:29 PM
he was supposed to go to the bungals today and they told him they were going to a college work out so unless we are way stupid that narrows it to 2 teams..

Broncojef
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Would like the freedom to draft BPA available and tie down a couple of the DT slots with guys like Bannan and Okoye prior to the draft. I think at some point in the first three rounds we need a homerun hitting RB to pair with this offense and having less holes to fill would be huge.

broncosteven
04-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Would like the freedom to draft BPA available and tie down a couple of the DT slots with guys like Bannan and Okoye prior to the draft. I think at some point in the first three rounds we need a homerun hitting RB to pair with this offense and having less holes to fill would be huge.

I would fall off my chair if we drafted an RB higher than round 3. I think Elway knows he can sift through the mid to lower rounds to find a guy.

I wonder if they don't try to shop KM around pre or during the draft if they decide to take an RB high. He has no speed, can't hit a hole and only real benefit is in the passing game

Tombstone RJ
04-05-2012, 07:26 PM
bring in Amobe!! Then sign Bannan, resign Thomas, then draft at least one blue chip DT and another solid rotational DT.

Bring is a solid RB on offense, and IMHO another olineman.

As for safety, pray that Raheem Moore makes huge strides.

Broncojef
04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I would fall off my chair if we drafted an RB higher than round 3. I think Elway knows he can sift through the mid to lower rounds to find a guy.

I wonder if they don't try to shop KM around pre or during the draft if they decide to take an RB high. He has no speed, can't hit a hole and only real benefit is in the passing game

I've thrown crap at my television for the last time over KM, hope they move him for a jelly doughnut and bring in a solid Clinton Portis type homerun hitter to make our offense tick. We have nice 2nd teir support backs but still need the feature back. I bet we take one in the first three. Our team will be a score 30 a game offense might as well stack the deck.

barryr
04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Okoye makes a lot of sense to the Broncos, which makes the move unlikely, but we can hope the Broncos decide to take DT seriously some day.

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Amobe isn't the typical retread Denver would chase. He is young and still has upside. He was in a system that didn't fit him in Houston. He played well last year in Chicago in the UT position for them.