PDA

View Full Version : A lifetime ban for Gregg Williams?

bronco militia
04-05-2012, 09:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_gregg_williams_speech_saints_49ers_bounty_0 40412

“At one point Williams says, ‘We hit [expletive] Smith right there’ – then he points under his chin [and continues] – ‘remember me.’ Then he rubs his thumb against his index and middle fingers – the cash sign – and says, ‘I got the first one. I got the first one. Go get it. Go lay that [expletive] out.’

Two weeks ago Williams, who left the Saints days after their 36-32 playoff defeat to the Niners to become the St. Louis Rams’ defensive coordinator, was suspended for at least the 2012 season by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Williams did not return voice and text messages left Wednesday on his mobile phone.

Early in the 12-minute speech, Williams told his players, “Kill the head, the body will die” – one of the coach’s signature phrases, according to numerous current and former Saints defenders. In this case, Williams designated 49ers halfback Frank Gore as “the head” and then ratcheted up the rhetoric.

“We’ve got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore’s head,” Williams told the players. “We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways.”

Then, referencing backup halfback Kendall Hunter, Williams continued: “Little 32, we want to knock the [expletive] out of him. He has no idea what he’s in for. When he’s on the sideline, we’ve gotta turn that [expletive] over, turn their coaches over, turn the spectators over. Go and get that [expletive] on the sidelines.”

After talking about the prospect of players laying a “remember me” shot on Smith, Williams said, “We’re gonna swarm. We’re gonna dominate the line of scrimmage. And we’re gonna kill the [expletive] head. Every single one of you, before you get off the pile, affect the head … continue to touch and affect the head.”

Powerful Gregg Williams bountygate audio emerges

Coach was taped night before Saints' last game

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Powerful-Gregg-Williams-bountygate-audio-emerges.html

KevinJames
04-05-2012, 09:09 AM
<object height="315" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhnn9kbqQUA?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="560"></object>

GREG WILLIAMS/SAINTS DEFENSIVE MEETING JANUARY 13, 2012

Above is a 4 minute sample from the 12 minutes I recorded during the New Orleans Saints defensive, conducted by Greg Williams, meeting in San Francisco on Jan. 13th, 2012. This was edited for time but you can listen to it in it's entirety by going to, www.theusof.com and choosing "The Blog" in the drop down menu and clicking the link on the right under Resources.

bendog
04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
The money angle is what "killed" him, and pushing head shots on guys with concussion issues. But, it's not news that guys like an old Faver or Warner will fold if hit enough, so that's the game. In the 96 superbowl, I lost track of how many times Robinson's blitzes blew up Faver. Atwater's face mask may still be imprinted on him.

Gort
04-05-2012, 09:17 AM
actual video from the Goodell/Williams meeting.

http://www.nastyhobbit.org/forum/animated_gifs/banned-permabanned.gif

delany
04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I am shocked and appalled that such language goes on in a locker room prior to a game.

That was never in Rudy.

razorwire77
04-05-2012, 09:38 AM
The money angle is what "killed" him, and pushing head shots on guys with concussion issues. But, it's not news that guys like an old Faver or Warner will fold if hit enough, so that's the game. In the 96 superbowl, I lost track of how many times Robinson's blitzes blew up Faver. Atwater's face mask may still be imprinted on him.

Yep. The rhetoric is pretty much the norm. Years ago, didn't Marty Schottenheimer implore his defense to "straighten out" Elway's crooked leg. It's the money and the promotion of head shots in a concussion conscious league where Williams screwed up.

Beantown Bronco
04-05-2012, 09:42 AM
"The football team at my high school, they were tough. After they sacked the quarterback, they went after his family."

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Big money Gerrard Warren used to say kill the head and the body will fall about big Ben.

srphoenix
04-05-2012, 09:43 AM
so much for sportsmanship and trying to compete with morals and character. Williams is a thug and should be praying that others decide to treat him far more kindly than what he deserves.

The sad thing about this is, as stated is that it's not just the Saints (irony) that were doing it but multiple other teams and coaches. Props to Goodell for addressing it in such an aggressive manner.

Mountain Bronco
04-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Listened to the audio and the only thing that was at all out of line was openly talking about the guy with concussion. Otherwise that speech is given in any locker room.

Mountain Bronco
04-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Kill the head and the body will fall is a widely used term of art. Nothing odd about saying that.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Sweep the leg.

bendog
04-05-2012, 10:02 AM
It's the money. He implied he was paying. He's done. And Sean Payton should stfu.

Still, I'm gonna enjoy the fans booing Goodall at the superdome this coming superbowl. He didn't fine Benson so much as he **** on the Saints season, and those folks still have to buy the tickets.

Requiem
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/140/872/charles%20Bennett%20haters%20gonna%20hate.jpg

NFLBRONCO
04-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I think the HC should be banned too. He knew about it and did nothing he's in charge of the coaches seems unfair to me.

gyldenlove
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
It's the money. He implied he was paying. He's done. And Sean Payton should stfu.

Still, I'm gonna enjoy the fans booing Goodall at the superdome this coming superbowl. He didn't fine Benson so much as he **** on the Saints season, and those folks still have to buy the tickets.

I am guessing with this new soundbite the league will will give Williams the choice of retiring from pro football or providing evidence against players.

Rohirrim
04-05-2012, 10:16 AM
I can't take it anymore. I just hope Price comes along and deletes this thread.

razorwire77
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Sweep the leg.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1009/the-leg-sweep-it-karate-kid-leg-sweep-demotivational-poster-1285260713.jpg

manchambo
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Kill the head and the body will fall may be a widely used metaphor, but he wasn't saying it as a metaphor--he was obviously saying to take headshots, including on someone with a concussion. And he was saying that they should do bad things in the pile.

In addition to the bounties, these issues are beyond the pale. I would probably ban him for life.

DomCasual
04-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Sweep the leg.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4kr24G8jQpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lonestar
04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Sorry but I did not hear anything about money for hits..

I heard what I heard in junior high and beyond perhaps not in graphic language but thay always taught us to hit them hard and get inside their head..

That was all I heard.. Maybe in todays vernacular he was saying we are going to pay for game changing hits but I did not understand it that way..

Football is a violent sport/game.

take out their will to win and make them look like deers in the headlights and they are going to lose becasue they are worried about pain and not playing football they are hesitating..

lonestar
04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Kill the head and the body will fall may be a widely used metaphor, but he wasn't saying it as a metaphor--he was obviously saying to take headshots, including on someone with a concussion. And he was saying that they should do bad things in the pile.

In addition to the bounties, these issues are beyond the pale. I would probably ban him for life.

sounded to me like whispering in their ear holes about what the next tackle was going to be..

Thats what we did.. getting inside their skulls..

I know I did not have much swinging room under a pile of humanity to get shots in, other than verbal ones..

theAPAOps5
04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
<iframe width="460" height="220" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4kr24G8jQpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get him a body bag! Yeaaaahhhhh johnny

Requiem
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Gregg Williams encouragin' his players to go hard.

Mountain Bronco
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I am not saying that he doesn't deserve a ban, but if this is the "evidence" than it is pretty weak. Now the emails that have been mentioned where he is keeping tabs of the bounties, that is evidence. This is some jerk off documentary artist who needs a pay check, so he sold what he had, which frankly isn't much.

BroncoMan4ever
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Williams is never going to coach again.

BroncoLifer
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Sweep the leg.

49ers should have gone with The Crane.

http://www.ethansenglishcafe.com/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/karate-kid-crane-kick1.jpg

Old Dude
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
That's pretty much the same speech I give my fantasy football team every year, but I guess it's more effective when you aren't talking to hallucinations.

oubronco
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
It's football for crying out loud

Bacchus
04-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I am guessing with this new soundbite the league will will give Williams the choice of retiring from pro football or providing evidence against players.

I'm guessing the League already knew about this and that is why he got anidefintie suspension.

Gcver2ver3
04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Listened to the audio and the only thing that was at all out of line was openly talking about the guy with concussion. Otherwise that speech is given in any locker room.
Comment about going after the ACL was pretty bad too...

Heyneck
04-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I actually think the league didn't know about this recordings. Had they, they would have stated it already. Why did they chose not to comment on the audio? Because they hadn't! The excerpts from the SF speech are really damaging. If Vick had to stay away from the NFL for 2+ years for running a dog fighting ring... Williams will get that or life banishment for sure. You just can't instruct players too play the game that way. The part of attaking the kid that is susceptible to concussions was sickening (speacialy with the way the NFL is changing to deal with them). That plus his arrogance to keep doing after being told to stop doing it on numerous occasions. The dude is about to be shipped out to the limbo!!!

BroncoBen
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM

I agree... the problem for me is the 'coaching' staff collecting and paying out money to the players. I remember from my High School days the coaches would review with us the 'health' reports on the other teams and how to 'exploit' those injuries.

Houshyamama
04-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Oh the humanity!

The naughty language! The violence! It's almost like this is football!

If you want wholesome fun take your ****ing kids to Disneyland.

bendog
04-05-2012, 12:37 PM
It's the money. Not at the HS level in my experience, but in college and pros, if they think somebody hurt an ankle, it's gonna get twisted in the pile.

Old Dude
04-05-2012, 12:39 PM
http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/111305144/24476075

Peyton's nerve
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm ALIVE, THANK GOD, I'M STILL ALIVE!

bronco militia
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM

he's telling them to go after specific body parts.....I've never been around coaches like that

ludo21
04-05-2012, 01:15 PM
he's telling them to go after specific body parts.....I've never been around coaches like that

hahhaahahahahahahahahahahaha Ha!

i know its not right, but thats the only coaches ive played for (football at least)

bendog
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Jerry Sandusky

bronco militia
04-05-2012, 02:01 PM
hahhaahahahahahahahahahahaha Ha!

i know its not right, but thats the only coaches ive played for (football at least)

wow...lucky me, i guess

Captain 'Dre
04-05-2012, 02:32 PM

Williams also instructs his players to go after Michael Crabtree's ACL. IMO, that comment was the smoking gun.

Houshyamama
04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
wow...lucky me, i guess

It's always about YOU, isn't it?

bronco militia
04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
It's always about YOU, isn't it?

Mrs. Militia??? is that you?

:-*

DENVERDUI55
04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
If del Rio bails in couple years we should hire Williams.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sO_QntXc-c4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kaylore
04-05-2012, 03:30 PM
You're alright, Crabtree!

Mogulseeker
04-05-2012, 03:32 PM
I agree... the problem for me is the 'coaching' staff collecting and paying out money to the players. I remember from my High School days the coaches would review with us the 'health' reports on the other teams and how to 'exploit' those injuries.

^This

Punisher
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
I be surprise if he comes back

Lestat
04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
sounds like something a HS coach in the south would say. nothing really shocking about it, that speech is said in different forms at almost every level of competitive football above middle school.

Mountain Bronco
04-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Its the money for me that makes it bad. You think coaches didn't let their players know to wack Troy Aikman in the head at the end of his career when the concussions were mounting? You think that every player doesn't look at injury reports and then go to the knees of a guy just returning from a sprained knee? If so, I have some bargains to sell you!!!!!!!!!!!!

lonestar
04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Now unless your playing in pee wees where the score does not count anymore it is how you played the game.

There is not a coach that has won more than one game that has not taught go at their weakness.

If that means someone has an Acl or head issue that means if nothing else make them think about it.

How many cries of outrage here in Den when Gibbs and mikey were teaching their players how to cut block.

Yeah I thought so.

pricejj
04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Everybody cut blocks. Teaching to the OL to block towards the lower body, and telling someone "to kill the head" are two different things...especially when there are 75 ex-NFL players (and counting) mounting a concussion lawsuit against the NFL threatening to end the NFL as we know it.

By banning Williams from the NFL, Goodell can show that the league is taking all the proper steps to make the NFL safer...which is all he can do in the court of law.

Orange4Life
04-05-2012, 06:30 PM
From what I understand, he is screwed because he gave this speech after the NFL put the Saints on notice that they needed to knock this stuff off.

That One Guy
04-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Oh the humanity!

The naughty language! The violence! It's almost like this is football!

If you want wholesome fun take your ****ing kids to Disneyland.

F that place. I was almost throwing punches over people cutting in line. That place is miserable.