PDA

View Full Version : Nick Fairley - A bullet dodged

snowspot66
04-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley was arrested on charges of marijuana possession on Tuesday in his hometown of Mobile, Alabama, according to the sheriff's website.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Nick-Fairley-Detroit-Lions-arrested-for-marijuana-possession-040312

oubronco
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
How can these guys be such idiots?

Tombstone RJ
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Mr. Goodell is not going to like this. Not one bit young man!

Doggcow
04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
People actually wanted this guy at 2.

snowspot66
04-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Did any of last years DT's we were all coveting not suck? It's a serious question as I honestly don't know.

oubronco
04-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Did any of last years DT's we were all coveting not suck? It's a serious question as I honestly don't know.

Dareus had a good year

Requiem
04-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I told you Nick was a loser.

Doggcow
04-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Phil Taylor in Cleveland seemed pretty solid.

Popcorn Sutton
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/wilkerson_holding_his_own_on_line_5FGBejx4pguHynnd uiSYbO

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/cleveland-browns-rookie-phil-taylor-earns-respect-with-solid-performance-1.231828

Marcell Dareus:
The Bills are in the midst of a transition back from a 3-4 to a 4-3 front, and it could have a huge impact on the value of their defensive linemen, most notably Marcell Dareus. In his rookie season, Dareus (+14.8) demonstrated more than a few flashes of brilliance alternating between nose tackle and defensive end in the Bills’ 3-4 set, but a switch to the “three technique” in a 4-3 front would free him up to consistently wreak havoc in opposing backfields. With a year of experience under his belt and Kyle Williams (+44.9 in 2010) returning from a foot injury, the Bills are more than set in the middle.

snowspot66
04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
So Dareus and maybe one or two others. Not surprising considering the position and it being just year one.

Drek
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM

Better question: how can marijuana still be illegal for adult use in a scientifically advanced representative republic where personal liberty was the cornerstone of it's founding?

barryr
04-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Teams need to worry about DT's that are one year wonders in college or are able to put up great combine numbers but do little on the field.

Lestat
04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
you're secretly Rob Van Dam aren't you? :~ohyah!:
Better question: how can marijuana still be illegal for adult use in a scientifically advanced representative republic where personal liberty was the cornerstone of it's founding?

Jetmeck
04-03-2012, 06:05 PM

well it is illegal and if thats not enough it cost him millions in pay.
just freakin dumb....regardless of the justification................

get a freakin beer

Rohirrim
04-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm real happy with Von Miller. :puff:

Rohirrim
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

If you plant that weed in your back yard, grow it, dry it, and smoke it, the government will sent a fully armed, fully militarized SWAT team to your home, aim assault rifles at your family, arrest you, and seize your property.

I think it's called, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." :~ohyah!:

broncosteven
04-03-2012, 06:19 PM
If you plant that weed in your back yard, grow it, dry it, and smoke it, the government will sent a fully armed, fully militarized SWAT team to your home, aim assault rifles at your family, arrest you, and seize your property.

I think it's called, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." :~ohyah!:

What happens if after planting weed for a few years you decide to plant some cocaine trees or a field of poppies?

OBF1
04-03-2012, 06:22 PM

See Denver Broncos...IE DJ and co.

Houshyamama
04-03-2012, 06:24 PM
What happens if after planting weed for a few years you decide to plant some cocaine trees or a field of poppies?

::)

zdoor
04-03-2012, 06:26 PM
:)Better question: how can marijuana still be illegal for adult use in a scientifically advanced representative republic where personal liberty was the cornerstone of it's founding?

I have no problem with MJ and its easy to get legally in Cali. But, if you're job forbid it and you made millions, how hard is it to abstain for the short duration of an NFL career???

uplink
04-03-2012, 06:29 PM

pot was made illegal when it began to displace alcohol sales after prohibition. People can grow it themselves so big companies don't make any money. I wouldn't use it myself, but just saying thats why its illegal.

Rohirrim
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Really tough to grow coca anywhere but where it's grown. I guess you could greenhouse it. I just don't think it's the government's business to tell people what to put in their own bodies. I especially think it's way beyond the pale to be breaking down doors and killing people over pot. The militarization of our police forces has been the worst side-effect of the drug war. Not to mention, it's a worse failure than Prohibition was.

Houshyamama
04-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Everyone knows Jesus hated marijuana.

DBroncos4life
04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I remember when Mac told me he was better then Suh. Hilarious!

Mogulseeker
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM

IDK, Alabama drops the hammer down of weed smokers.

Pony Boy
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Maybe we could get him cheap and then get him a Colorado medical marijuana card.

Doggcow
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM

If people want to, let them. It's not like everyone is going to start doing heroine if it's legal. But if someone chooses to, let them. It would still reduce the amount of "Bad" from the drugs if we got rid of the criminals running it now.

GreatBronco16
04-03-2012, 07:28 PM
IDK, Alabama drops the hammer down of weed smokers.

Yes we do. Not sure why my state hates it sooo much. But if they catch a bunch of under age kids out drinking in a parking lot, 9 out of 10 times, they just make them pure it out and move along. It's all the damn Pubs fault, and it doesn't hurt that we are in the middle of Bible belt USA.

Chris
04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
If people want to, let them. It's not like everyone is going to start doing heroine if it's legal. But if someone chooses to, let them. It would still reduce the amount of "Bad" from the drugs if we got rid of the criminals running it now.

I'm doing a heroine

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OzETiPta5tc/TyaFhI_YcxI/AAAAAAAAA-U/1oRdrg-2nBA/s1600/LYNDA_CARTER_WONDER_WOMAN.jpg

cutthemdown
04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Detroit needed this guy to make the fearsome DT combo go off.

broncosteven
04-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Really tough to grow coca anywhere but where it's grown. I guess you could greenhouse it. I just don't think it's the government's business to tell people what to put in their own bodies. I especially think it's way beyond the pale to be breaking down doors and killing people over pot. The militarization of our police forces has been the worst side-effect of the drug war. Not to mention, it's a worse failure than Prohibition was.

The dude who hit me while I was stopped at a red light was sparking up his bowl at the time. I get to pay for his slowed reflexes in over a years worth of pain and counting.

maher_tyler
04-03-2012, 08:54 PM
pot was made illegal when it began to displace alcohol sales after prohibition. People can grow it themselves so big companies don't make any money. I wouldn't use it myself, but just saying thats why its illegal.

No. All those companies that make pain killer would go out of business if MJ was legalized. It's about the money imo. What's the big deal if you can grow it from home? Did you know you can brew your own beer? You can buy kits that give you everything you need. I've done it before. It's all about convienence. Are you going to grow your own and wait a month?? Or go down the street and buy a pack of Joints? I know what I'd be doing.

broncocalijohn
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
People actually wanted this guy at 2.

A dodged bullet? While I don't like drugs and bad behavior, we have some guys that drive while intoxicated. Of course that isn't at the #2 pick. I wanted Dareus not Fairley.

maher_tyler
04-03-2012, 08:57 PM
The dude who hit me while I was stopped at a red light was sparking up his bowl at the time. I get to pay for his slowed reflexes in over a years worth of pain and counting.

Same rules as alcohol would apply. If both were legal to use..I'd choose MJ in a heartbeat...

g6matty
04-03-2012, 09:06 PM
have you guys heard about mikeal leshour lol?

Goobzilla
04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
What do his personalized plates say?

Carmelo15
04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
This guy had bust written all over him. I never wanted anything to do with him as a Bronco.

pricejj
04-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Even if marijuana was legal, it doesn't improve athletic performance. I think it leads to bone fractures and tendon/ligament strains (i.e. Rashaan Salaam, Travis Henry).

Smoke in the lungs can never be good for an athlete.

baja
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM

How dare you question authority

That One Guy
04-03-2012, 10:10 PM
We've discussed this here on the Mane and I'm quite surprised that I've been convinced that at very least, it should not be a Federal Gov't concern. The only remaining doubts I have concern contact highs which aren't a problem with booze. Some claimed they weren't real though I think I believe otherwise without having any real knowledge on the subject.

I also still believe people's brains can be baked in a way alcohol doesn't seem to do. Again, haven't really been around drugs so I'm far from an authority on it. Those are my only two lingering concerns.

Drek
04-03-2012, 10:47 PM

That old preposterous straw man? How about the fact that two studies backed by the U.S. government with the intent of showing weed as a gateway drug both found the opposite, that weed is LESS of a gateway to other substance abuse issues as even alcohol?

Same with a British study that also found weed was just flat out less addictive and less dangerous than alcohol abuse.

:)

I have no problem with MJ and its easy to get legally in Cali. But, if you're job forbid it and you made millions, how hard is it to abstain for the short duration of an NFL career???
I'm positive Nick Fairley is an idiot. Does this surprise anyone?

That and hemp is a superior fabric to cotton, a major U.S. cash crop, but now carries a steep import tax as a result despite that strain of cannabis having no narcotic effects in any real amount. The real question is, why do we tolerate that kind of regulation in our lives for what we know are bull**** reasons.

And if you could wipe weed completely off the face of the planet he'd have been drinking. If you could completely prevent drunk driving he would have been high on coke. If you could keep coke out of people's hands he would have been wound on meth. If you could stop meth he'd have been high on paint fumes and a paper bag.

Users are users and people who can't drive will never be able to drive. They'll always find a way. Meth is an attempt at people with no money trying to find a fix. Current recipes involve large amounts of anhydrous ammonia and lithium from rechargeable battery packs. People are putting **** like that into their bodies to get high.

Instead of policing the substances we should be policing the people. Get ****ed up all you want but when your need to get ****ed up violates another person's freedoms we should drop the hammer then.

extralife
04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I also still believe people's brains can be baked in a way alcohol doesn't seem to do.

a true stoner is an obnoxious idiot. a true alcoholic is among the worst people on the face of the earth.

baja
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
a true stoner is an obnoxious idiot. a true alcoholic is among the worst people on the face of the earth.

Wrong on both accounts

Horrible generalization

extralife
04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
are you really about to defend alcoholics lol this should be good

baja
04-03-2012, 11:23 PM
are you really about to defend alcoholics lol this should be good

Alcoholism is a disease with millions of suffers. Some do horrible things but most are not horrible people they are sick people.

baja
04-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm an alcoholic with 20 years sobriety. I have never been a horrible person. Self distractive, yes / horrible, no.

extralife
04-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm an alcoholic with 20 years sobriety.

then you are no longer an alcoholic. don't give me the AA yarn, which exists solely as a mechanism of transference.

I have never been a horrible person.

except for when you were an alcoholic

baja
04-04-2012, 12:17 AM
then you are no longer an alcoholic. don't give me the AA yarn, which exists solely as a mechanism of transference.

except for when you were an alcoholic

You know not of what you speak but that doesn't make you a horrible person either. ;D

TheChamp247
04-04-2012, 03:17 AM
lol this thread title definately needs to be changed at this point

Captain 'Dre
04-04-2012, 04:30 AM

The alcohol industry is the single biggest contributor in fighting legislative efforts to legalize marijuana. THAT's how.

Rohirrim
04-04-2012, 07:16 AM

Hopefully, he went to jail over it. There's no excuse for getting drunk or stoned and driving a car down the road. It's illegal. As it should be.

maher_tyler
04-04-2012, 07:23 AM
We've discussed this here on the Mane and I'm quite surprised that I've been convinced that at very least, it should not be a Federal Gov't concern. The only remaining doubts I have concern contact highs which aren't a problem with booze. Some claimed they weren't real though I think I believe otherwise without having any real knowledge on the subject.

I also still believe people's brains can be baked in a way alcohol doesn't seem to do. Again, haven't really been around drugs so I'm far from an authority on it. Those are my only two lingering concerns.

Alcohol will **** your liver up not to mention the deaths involved with drinking and driving...keep digging.

Lycan
04-04-2012, 07:24 AM
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/393868/batman-bullet-dodge.gif

BroncoBen
04-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Nick Farley.. didn't he also have 'character' issues coming out in the draft ?

broncosteven
04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
That old preposterous straw man? How about the fact that two studies backed by the U.S. government with the intent of showing weed as a gateway drug both found the opposite, that weed is LESS of a gateway to other substance abuse issues as even alcohol?

Same with a British study that also found weed was just flat out less addictive and less dangerous than alcohol abuse.

I'm positive Nick Fairley is an idiot. Does this surprise anyone?

That and hemp is a superior fabric to cotton, a major U.S. cash crop, but now carries a steep import tax as a result despite that strain of cannabis having no narcotic effects in any real amount. The real question is, why do we tolerate that kind of regulation in our lives for what we know are bull**** reasons.

And if you could wipe weed completely off the face of the planet he'd have been drinking. If you could completely prevent drunk driving he would have been high on coke. If you could keep coke out of people's hands he would have been wound on meth. If you could stop meth he'd have been high on paint fumes and a paper bag.

Users are users and people who can't drive will never be able to drive. They'll always find a way. Meth is an attempt at people with no money trying to find a fix. Current recipes involve large amounts of anhydrous ammonia and lithium from rechargeable battery packs. People are putting **** like that into their bodies to get high.

Instead of policing the substances we should be policing the people. Get ****ed up all you want but when your need to get ****ed up violates another person's freedoms we should drop the hammer then.

I do agree that if he had been liquored up or on Coke he would have been going a lot faster and I would be dead now but the fact is dumb people do dumb things and if you make it easier for more dumb people to do dumb things then we will be tripping over idiots and nothing will get done.

We need to challenge our youth not sanction a quick and easy way to hide from reality. If people are huffing paint or sniffing batteries they have other issues they need help with, self medication is not the answer. They need help, not drugs.

That One Guy
04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Alcohol will **** your liver up not to mention the deaths involved with drinking and driving...keep digging.

Brain>liver on the scale of importance, I think. Not that destroying either is a good idea.

You seem to be arguing for legalization of marijuana while making the argument that booze should be outlawed. I think that's usually a pretty silly way to substantiate a position.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Some of the lower-round DT's faired well. As opposed to Fairley-well.

misturanderson
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Brain>liver on the scale of importance, I think. Not that destroying either is a good idea.

You seem to be arguing for legalization of marijuana while making the argument that booze should be outlawed. I think that's usually a pretty silly way to substantiate a position.

Except that alcohol has the same or worse permanent effects on your brain as pot plus worse overall body health effects, greater ability to cause potentially dangerous behavior, greater addictiveness, the list goes on.

Marijuana is (with the exception of it's effects on the lungs and reversible alterations in short term memory) more benign than alcohol in every way possible.

That One Guy
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Except that alcohol has the same or worse permanent effects on your brain as pot plus worse overall body health effects, greater ability to cause potentially dangerous behavior, greater addictiveness, the list goes on.

Marijuana is (with the exception of it's effects on the lungs and reversible alterations in short term memory) more benign than alcohol in every way possible.

So you think alcohol should be made illegal?

Legalizing marijuana has to be substantiated on its own merit. I used an alcohol comparison to say maybe there is legitimately concerns with marijuana that there isn't with alcohol. You say I'm wrong and that may be. I don't know enough about the topic, as I said. Just not being as bad as alcohol may only make a case for making alcohol illegal, though. The finer details of why prohibition was repealed is beyond me.

In the end, I think those saying it's all a conspiracy probably have some legitimacy. I definitely think it should be a state issue. I just don't think it should be legalized on a basis of "but it's not as bad as xyz".

maher_tyler
04-04-2012, 05:06 PM

I'm fine with alcohol being legal..i love a good beer. I think the fact that MJ affects your brain is a bit of a over reaction. I know a guy that smokes on a regular basis (since HS) and is a normal functional human being. I wouldn't say both are good for you. However, there are many more uses from MJ than alcohol. Alcohol being legal and MJ being illegal just doesn't make any sense to me. The thought that people will grow it anyway is stupid. People brew there own beer. At a minimum, they should allow it for medical purposes.

misturanderson
04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
So you think alcohol should be made illegal?

Legalizing marijuana has to be substantiated on its own merit. I used an alcohol comparison to say maybe there is legitimately concerns with marijuana that there isn't with alcohol. You say I'm wrong and that may be. I don't know enough about the topic, as I said. Just not being as bad as alcohol may only make a case for making alcohol illegal, though. The finer details of why prohibition was repealed is beyond me.

In the end, I think those saying it's all a conspiracy probably have some legitimacy. I definitely think it should be a state issue. I just don't think it should be legalized on a basis of "but it's not as bad as xyz".

No I don't think alcohol should be made illegal, I was using that argument to show the hypocrisy of making marijuana illegal while a substantially more harmful substance is not only legal, but championed in our society.

I believe that government should not be telling people what they can and can't put into their own bodies in situations that effect nobody but themselves. It is my opinion that reproduction should be regulated long before drugs are made illegal as the consequences of people reproducing irresponsibly are far greater reaching than those of people taking legal or illegal drugs.

Agamemnon
04-05-2012, 02:59 AM
The alcohol industry is the single biggest contributor in fighting legislative efforts to legalize marijuana. THAT's how.

The tobacco industry helps as well.