PDA

View Full Version : Broncos reportedly shopped Tebow at NFL combine

dragondawg
03-31-2012, 05:16 PM
By Marc Sessler NFL.com
Writer

Here's a piece of news about Tim Tebow not involving billboards, bronze statues or house-hunting within 20 feet of the Sanchez residence.

(Count yourself lucky.)

Long before the Broncos had a bead on Peyton Manning, they were already thinking about shipping Tebow out of Denver. As early as February's NFL Scouting Combine, the team began "quietly shopping" the quarterback, The Florida Times-Union reported this week.

If true, John Elway's words at the combine are worth revisiting. The Broncos' executive vice president of football operations offered high praise for Tebow back then.

"Hopefully, he can be the franchise guy for a long time, but those are things we don't know at the time," Elway told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora. "... He made tremendous strides last year, and that's without an offseason. He's our starter going into camp, and we have great expectations for him."

Nobody in February knew Manning would become available, even if it seemed destined to happen. Elway wasn't about to stake his legacy to Tebow and he solved the problem with a Manning-sized solution. It's about the only way shipping Tebow out of town would have passed without large-scale riots in the streets. The upshot: Elway sleeps soundly in his bed tonight while Tebow scans Broadway ticket prices from some hotel room in midtown.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82800d99/article/broncos-reportedly-shopped-tebow-at-nfl-combine

rmsanger
03-31-2012, 05:18 PM
http://www.evangelchristianschool.org/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/cartoon_crab_stirring_pot_hg_clr.gif

MacGruder
03-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Why would Elway leak this information?

RhymesayersDU
03-31-2012, 05:27 PM
He's projecting.

bombay
03-31-2012, 05:43 PM
who gives a ****

McDman
03-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Why would Elway leak this information?

Why are you still here?

MacGruder
03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Why are you still here?

Why are you still here?

bombay
03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Wait... 'nobody knew in February Manning would be available.....'

Who the hell is he kidding?

Chris
03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Why are you still here?

http://media32.podbean.com/pb/f1f821bacd11476ce26c546fa181178b/4f77ac9d/blogs32/126000/archive/comeback.gif

Boobs McGee
03-31-2012, 06:20 PM
50 pages by Tuesday.

BroncoInferno
03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-f_DPrSEOEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GreatBronco16
03-31-2012, 06:46 PM
http://img.fannation.com/upload/user_image/image/110/277/0/full/officer_barbrady_move_along_sm.jpg

GreatBronco16
03-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Why are you still here?

Because people like you still acknowledge his presence.

Shananahan
03-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Isn't this what a thorough front office is supposed to do if it thinks it might be trading the guy in the near future? I still don't like that it happened, but I'd prefer to think they went about it this way as opposed to scrambling for the best deal without a plan after signing Manning.

Punisher
03-31-2012, 06:51 PM
who gives a ****

:gossip:

theAPAOps5
03-31-2012, 07:24 PM
So what?

Baba Booey
03-31-2012, 07:41 PM
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i403/dperry7/1329800246899-1.jpg

BroncoBeavis
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Maybe Honest John was just checking into what it would take to get Matt Cassel in the ol' Orange and Blue. :)

errand
03-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Maybe Honest John was just checking into what it would take to get Matt Cassel in the ol' Orange and Blue. :)

....or maybe he just didn't believe Tim would ever become a good QB. Is that possible?

FantomForce
04-01-2012, 06:11 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bitch+please&hl=en&biw=1252&bih=585&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=A0VkbwB66jCMYM:&imgrefurl=http://favim.com/image/140395/&docid=KAtlid_pbxn8cM&imgurl=http://favim.com/orig/201109/08/bitch-bitch-please-jim-parsons-sheldon-sheldon-cooper-Favim.com-140395.jpg&w=500&h=392&ei=xFN4T7zREeHg2AXXzdi1Bg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=343&vpy=222&dur=2480&hovh=199&hovw=254&tx=175&ty=221&sig=115593017583595785064&page=2&tbnh=115&tbnw=141&start=24&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:23,s:24

broncocalijohn
04-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Yeah, because when you look into Matt Cassel, you actually sign Peyton manning. You are projectng. Btw, who do you think Elway and Fox are, McDaniels?

BroncoBeavis
04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Yeah, because when you look into Matt Cassel, you actually sign Peyton manning. You are projectng. Btw, who do you think Elway and Fox are, McDaniels?

Just pointing out why it's dumb to go running your mouth around the league without a rock solid backup plan. Burn bridges then cross fingers isn't the best way to do business.

But then again neither is being dishonest to your team's leadership and fans.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:33 AM
....or maybe he just didn't believe Tim would ever become a good QB. Is that possible?\

Or maybe Elway and Fox know they have no ability to develop QBs... these aren't exactly big risk takers or innovators... You have a rookie GM who has no experience and a washed up old veteran coach who never got it done and is terrible with QBs and offense in general..

CEH
04-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Nobody in the NFL will design a offense around Tebow as a true #1. Sprano good luck Tebow with him as your wildcat OC. BB will figure it out in the 1st half of of the first game and everyone else will copy it and force Tebow to be a true QB if he wants to see the field.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 11:56 AM
\

Or maybe Elway and Fox know they have no ability to develop QBs... these aren't exactly big risk takers or innovators... You have a rookie GM who has no experience and a washed up old veteran coach who never got it done and is terrible with QBs and offense in general..

Jake Delhomme disagrees. Thanks for playing...

lonestar
04-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Why does this surprise anyone..

Anyone with a brain knows that John and John only put Tebow into the game before Quinn because of the pressure from the fans..

Tebow surprised everyone with being a gamer, as he apparently sucked in practice..

He LEAD the team to 7 wins in a row IIRC..

They believed that he would fail and would then would be able jump back into the race for Luck..

There is NO doubt in my mind about that. and some day when someone writes their memoirs the truth will come out..

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Anyone with a brain knows that John and John only put Tebow into the game before Quinn because of the pressure from the fans..

Tebow surprised everyone with being a gamer, as he apparently sucked in practice..

They believed that he would fail and would then would be able jump back into the race for Luck..

There is NO doubt in my mind about that. and some day when someone writes their memoirs the truth will come out..

you may be right, the Johns caved to fan pressure. If your opionion holds any water than by doing this they effectively placated the fans, yet these same fans are still not happy. Why? Oh yah, because they are TT fans.

NFLBRONCO
04-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Great Post your 100% correct. I'll go one step farther Tebow would have been gone last year if it wasn't the FO wanting to reconnect with fans after McD's mess.

Blueflame
04-01-2012, 01:17 PM

It had become quite apparent that Tebow's skillset did not match what "EFX" wanted in their starting QB and that he would have to change (a lot) to become what they wanted.

Also, didn't the combine come fairly soon after the announcement that Tebow had hired a new PR agency? (a solid indication that "the circus" was not only not going to abate; it was going to "ramp up into higher gear")? It's entirely possible that they might have been more patient with Tebow's development if he hadn't had that "entourage" demanding that they couldn't be (patient).

CEH
04-01-2012, 02:55 PM
It had become quite apparent that Tebow's skillset did not match what "EFX" wanted in their starting QB and that he would have to change (a lot) to become what they wanted.

Also, didn't the combine come fairly soon after the announcement that Tebow had hired a new PR agency? (a solid indication that "the circus" was not only not going to abate; it was going to "ramp up into higher gear")? It's entirely possible that they might have been more patient with Tebow's development if he hadn't had that "entourage" demanding that they couldn't be (patient).

Think about it. You think John Elway or any other executive in any company in the world would stake their career on someone left over from the previous regime they do not believe can lead them back up . Even the Tebowoners would not do it if they were hired to run a company

Blueflame
04-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Think about it. You think John Elway or any other executive in any company in the world would stake their career on someone left over from the previous regime they do not believe can lead them back up . Even the Tebowoners would not do it if they were hired to run a company

Precisely why I found the "intentionally sabotaging Tebow" conspiracy theories to be ridiculous... NFL stands for "not for long" unless a team wins... and that applies even to someone of Elway's standing (in Denver). The one thing about Elway that's always been constant (as a player and in the front office) is an intense desire to win.

And honestly... given the fact that Tebow's skill set wasn't what EFX wanted, then it's best for everyone involved... especially Tebow... to make a change; and the sooner the better.

errand
04-01-2012, 04:44 PM
I think they saw a raw kid that, while being a great guy, good leader, and runner wasn't a very good passer.... quite frankly they would love having a quarterback that can.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 04:55 PM

This is why Elway and Fox never should have taken the job though.. they proved THEY were far more of a liability than Tebow was.

Peyton might mask that more but in the end that will be their demise with him as much as it would be with Tebow... unless you can just win a championship without an executive or a coach.

NUB
04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm very confident that the front office had no intention of keeping Tebow on this team, Manning being available or not.

BroncoBeavis
04-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Funny thing is you have it exactly backwards. There was little risk for efx to let the Tebow thing play out one more year. If he bombed everyone would be ready to move on, and they could rightfully say he's not the long term guy, but they gave it a try.

Now they've bet their careers on a 36 year old with health concerns. And they can't use the excuse that they were just playing what they were dealt anymore. If Tebow goes on to succeed elsewhere and Denver falls short of World Champs under Manning, Elway will become synonymous with fail.

Blueflame
04-01-2012, 05:20 PM
No. EFX have shown that they belong right where they are, MacGruder. And ultimately the Denver Broncos... and Tim Tebow... will be better for the decisions they've made.

The HC who "never should have taken the job" is McDaniels. He was nowhere near ready for that responsibility and we all saw the unfortunate results.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 05:43 PM
No. EFX have shown that they belong right where they are, MacGruder. And ultimately the Denver Broncos... and Tim Tebow... will be better for the decisions they've made.

The HC who "never should have taken the job" is McDaniels. He was nowhere near ready for that responsibility and we all saw the unfortunate results.

McD came in because no one wanted to deal with the Cutler Marshall headache..

That was why someone with no experience came in. You could say EFX came in because they were the only ones that would deal with Tebow but we gave seen other great NFL coaches rave about Tebow such as Gruden, Dungy and Ditka..

EFX showed they couldn't handle the job when they were even worse than McD this last season when everyone else in the NFL was putting up record offensive numbers.

Tebow showed he was capable not them.

Yes they got Peyton.. but that was a move that was done more off of reputation than anything else. A reputation they really haven't earned in their roles.

lonestar
04-01-2012, 05:45 PM

Good thought process..

I had not heard about a "PR"firm but that makes sense if it is true..

as for Tebow skill set I truly believe that it will come in time.. Might be a year or two away but Tebows positivity and fandom would have kept them immune from being fired IMO..

They just needed to show progress each year.. Now I know that would not be good enough for a few old timers on the team, but for the most part this is a very young team.. and has big shoulders to build on..

Now just maybe Elway is right in his assessment, but God help him if Tebow goes on and become the phenom that he was in college, records and awards up the kazoo.

I do not believe in quick fixes as that was what caused mikey to fail long-term.. I just hope we do not get on that roller coaster again..
I know it will not because Tebow did not try to make it happen..

lonestar
04-01-2012, 05:49 PM
you may be right, the Johns caved to fan pressure. If your opionion holds any water than by doing this they effectively placated the fans, yet these same fans are still not happy. Why? Oh yah, because they are TT fans.

there are loads of folks that are real broco fans and only want what is best for teh club..

Lots wanted Tebwo over quinn and Orton because they had zero faith in them..

We all know that there is a Tebow group of fans that came with him and the vast majority of them will move on to the JETS..

But Orton was not getting it done and NO ONE had any faith in Quinn John really ahd his hands tied on choices..

I know in my heart they expect teh expriement to fail and then they could say we told you so and conitnue their march to Luckville..

houghtam
04-01-2012, 05:52 PM
We all know that there is a Tebow group of fans that came with him

Myth.

lonestar
04-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Funny thing is you have it exactly backwards. There was little risk for efx to let the Tebow thing play out one more year. If he bombed everyone would be ready to move on, and they could rightfully say he's not the long term guy, but they gave it a try.

Now they've bet their careers on a 36 year old with health concerns. And they can't use the excuse that they were just playing what they were dealt anymore. If Tebow goes on to succeed elsewhere and Denver falls short of World Champs under Manning, Elway will become synonymous with fail.

I see it that way also..

But then maybe they were afraid that Tebow would have been good enough to get a few more wins but still not be that drop back guy they lusted for,,

and they would miss out of next year "class QBs" coming out..

Bowlen nor the fans would have called for their heads if the stadiums was full of seats buying stuff.

I would not even put it past Mannings folks from doing a what IF and allowing Elway to know about it before the combine..

Hell everyone knew that INDY was not going to pay another 20 mil after last years money down the drain to see if he would come back.. They have the number one pick in the draft they could go with any of the top QB's and start from scratch..

I'll bet the only folks in the USA that did not beleive that Manning would get cut before that bonus were the fans in INDY..

Anyone want to guess why he came to DEN first?

Irish Stout
04-01-2012, 05:58 PM
So....?

I think that every NFL team should consider every single one of their players up for sale for the right price. I mean, every asset in the world is typically for sale at the right price. We should trade Von Miller for two 1s, a 6th, a box of cracker jacks and Clay Matthews.

Blueflame
04-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Good thought process..

I had not heard about a "PR"firm but that makes sense if it is true..

as for Tebow skill set I truly believe that it will come in time.. Might be a year or two away but Tebows positivity and fandom would have kept them immune from being fired IMO..

They just needed to show progress each year.. Now I know that would not be good enough for a few old timers on the team, but for the most part this is a very young team.. and has big shoulders to build on..

Now just maybe Elway is right in his assessment, but God help him if Tebow goes on and become the phenom that he was in college, records and awards up the kazoo.

I do not believe in quick fixes as that was what caused mikey to fail long-term.. I just hope we do not get on that roller coaster again..
I know it will not because Tebow did not try to make it happen..

Yeah, Tebow signed with the William Morris agency on Feb. 23.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/02/23/tim-tebow-signs-with-william-morris-agency-in-hollywood/12235/

The timing would have coincided with the rumors of the team "shopping him at the combine". It would make sense if "EFX" were simply tired of "the circus" and the distractions it has brought to the team.

CEH
04-01-2012, 06:07 PM
EFX didnt like all of Tebow's non football related activities
Same for NYJ

When the Jets traded for Tim Tebow, they added a backup quarterback who can make plays in the Wildcat formation. But they also added the NFL player who inspires passion from those who love him and those who hate him, and who generates more media publicity than any other. And the Jets want to prevent all that publicity from spinning out of their control.

Good luck with that.

Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets are at work attempting to keep Tebowmania under control.

“NFL sources said the Jets have already decided to limit some of Tebow’s ‘outside’ endeavors, which would include doing a weekly radio spot,” Raissman writes.

But the reality is that a team can’t actually stop a player from doing whatever media appearances he wants to do in his free time. The Jets can urge Tebow not to have his own weekly radio spot, but they don’t get to decide to limit Tebow’s outside endeavors. He’s free to do a weekly radio spot if he wants to do a radio spot.

Tebow, however, is treading carefully, trying to be a team player and trying not to overshadow Mark Sanchez. He said he’s not sure if he’ll ever be a starting quarterback because he knows that publicly, the Jets want to continue to promote Sanchez as their starter — and not to have Sanchez overshadowed by his backup.

At least, until Tebow is no longer Sanchez’s backup.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/01/jets-want-to-limit-tebows-outside-endeavors/

houghtam
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/02/23/tim-tebow-signs-with-william-morris-agency-in-hollywood/12235/

The timing would have coincided with the rumors of the team "shopping him at the combine". It would make sense if "EFX" were simply tired of "the circus" and the distractions it has brought to the team.

It would also make sense if Tebow was informed that he would be shopped at the Combine and he hired the PR team then. Or the two could be completely unrelated. But please, by all means, keep the conspiracy theories coming about this Tebow circus that was just too much for an executive of one of the most highly valued professional sports teams to handle. This thread is pretty entertaining.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 06:13 PM

If you are tired of a player being popular because he is a great player and humanitarian you are in the wrong business.

Likewise if your team is distracted by those things you have bigger problems than Tebow...

Also, Tebow had marketing opportunities that he didn't take before. He has been very selective and minimalist in that way.

If they were worried about public opinion it's likely because they would have screwed him on the team anyway and the fans wouldn't have let that happen. Just like this last season when they wrongly benched him and possibly smeared him in the media.

Blueflame
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
It would also make sense if Tebow was informed that he would be shopped at the Combine and he hired the PR team then. Or the two could be completely unrelated. But please, by all means, keep the conspiracy theories coming about this Tebow circus that was just too much for an executive of one of the most highly valued professional sports teams to handle. This thread is pretty entertaining.

Well, first off each of us has to decide whether or not we're going to believe this (as-yet) unsubstantiated rumor that the team "shopped" Tebow at the combine. I'm not certain that I do believe it, although I do find it plausible that EFX might have been looking at any and all means of upgrading the team at any and all positions, especially QB.

However... anyone who doesn't see that the Tebow circus was a distraction to the entire Broncos organization... either wasn't paying attention or willfully chose to refuse to acknowledge it.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 09:54 PM
McD came in because no one wanted to deal with the Cutler Marshall headache..

That was why someone with no experience came in. You could say EFX came in because they were the only ones that would deal with Tebow but we gave seen other great NFL coaches rave about Tebow such as Gruden, Dungy and Ditka..

EFX showed they couldn't handle the job when they were even worse than McD this last season when everyone else in the NFL was putting up record offensive numbers.

Tebow showed he was capable not them.

Yes they got Peyton.. but that was a move that was done more off of reputation than anything else. A reputation they really haven't earned in their roles.

do you have any proof of this?

if not, why are you posting this like it's a fact?

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
However... anyone who doesn't see that the Tebow circus was a distraction to the entire Broncos organization... either wasn't paying attention or willfully chose to refuse to acknowledge it.

I think that is a crock.. the Broncos had been the worst team in the NFL for a long stretch. Elway, Fox and Orton made it worse the first 4 games.

They were lucky they had Tebow for the fans to even have any interest in.

Of course Elway and Fox take no blame in that.. it was the FANS fault.. lol

And these are the guys you want running your team? Good luck with that.

But the point is if the team hadn't been so bad.. AND Elway hadn't BSed about playing Tebow in the first place it wouldn't have been the issue it was.

If you have a team as bad as the Broncos for so long you are going to have just as many problems without Tebow anyway. So using him or his fans as an excuse makes no sense. It's just scapegoating.

houghtam
04-01-2012, 09:59 PM

1) Why do people keep quoting MacGruder?

2) Why isn't MacGruder on everyone's ignore list?

3) If it's okay to post things like "Tebow brought a legion of Tebow-only fans with him" as fact, when it's patently untrue, why not this?

4) Mouth

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 09:59 PM

It's called common sense.. why else would they hire McD when the Broncos were supposedly such a great organization to work for?

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I think that is a crock.. the Broncos had been the worst team in the NFL for a long stretch. Elway, Fox and Orton made it worse the first 4 games.

They were lucky they had Tebow for the fans to even have any interest in.

Of course Elway and Fox take no blame in that.. it was the FANS fault.. lol

And these are the guys you want running your team? Good luck with that.

But the point is if the team hadn't been so bad.. AND Elway hadn't BSed about playing Tebow in the first place it wouldn't have been the issue it was.

If you have a team as bad as the Broncos for so long you are going to have just as many problems without Tebow anyway. So using him or his fans as an excuse makes no sense. It's just scapegoating.

Do you have any proof of this? Can you provide on shred of evidence to support this opinion?

NFLBRONCO
04-01-2012, 10:01 PM

Agree 100%

Yes lovers don't and never will see it.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 10:02 PM
It's called common sense.. why else would they hire McD when the Broncos were supposedly such a great organization to work for?

this is why you should be banned. You make crap up.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Do you have any proof of this? Can you provide on shred of evidence to support this opinion?

Skip Bayless said they had the worst record over the past 24 games or something like that...

Taco John
04-01-2012, 10:04 PM

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read in 11 years of running this site.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
this is why you should be banned. You make crap up.

Who said it was anything other than my opinion.. witch hunt...

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
That's the dumbest thing I've ever read in 11 years of running this site.

So then answer the question...

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Skip Bayless said they had the worst record over the past 24 games or something like that...

Denver Broncos record 2009 was 8-8
Denver Broncos record 2010 was 4-12
Denver Broncos record pre TT was 1-4

16+16+16=48 games

If the Broncos lost their last 8 games of 2009 and their last 12 games of 2010 and their last 3 games before TT that is...

23games.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:17 PM
21 games.

So the worst team in the last 21 games.. the point is they stunk.. there was no reason not to play Tebow. Orton and Quinn were lost causes.

Of course the fans are going to want to see him play in that situation.

But it wasn't because they are cancerous lunatics.. it's because the team and Orton stunk.

So let's just quit propagating that myth... It's a miracle they didn't riot before that.. even the non-Tebow fans. If anything they DIDN'T riot because many didn't want Tebow...

houghtam
04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Denver Broncos record 2009 was 8-8
Denver Broncos record 2010 was 4-10
Denver Broncos record pre TT was 1-4

16+16+16=48 games

If the Broncos lost their last 8 games of 2009 and their last 10 games of 2010 and their last 3 games before TT that is...

21 games.

No, Bayless was right. From November 1st 2009 until October 29th 2011, the Broncos were 7-24, which is the worst in the NFL for that period of time.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
So the worst team in the last 21 games.. the point is they stunk.. there was no reason not to play Tebow. Orton and Quinn were lost causes.

Of course the fans are going to want to see him play in that situation.

But it wasn't because they are cancerous lunatics.. it's because the team and Orton stunk.

So let's just quit propagating that myth... It's a miracle they didn't riot before that.. even the non-Tebow fans. If anything they DIDN'T riot because many didn't want Tebow...

But they didn't loose all those games in a row, the point is that the Broncos were struggling but not like St. Louis or Carolina or Buffalo over the 2009-2010 season.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 10:27 PM
No, Bayless was right. From November 1st 2009 until October 29th 2011, the Broncos were 7-24, which is the worst in the NFL for that period of time.

its a cherry picked stat to prove a point and nothing more.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:30 PM
But they didn't loose all those games in a row, the point is that the Broncos were struggling but not like St. Louis or Carolina or Buffalo over the 2009-2010 season.

They were getting worse not better.. that's the point.. and Orton was getting worse not better. The guy fricking DROPPED the ball for no reason whatsoever... lol He was a basket case... It turned out McD was carrying him on the Broncos. Either that or Fox was god awful.

houghtam
04-01-2012, 10:35 PM
its a cherry picked stat to prove a point and nothing more.

The point didn't even need to be proven. The Broncos over that period were awful. Go back and read some prediction posts for the 2011 season, the average expectation was 4-5 wins. Hell, even after the epic collapse of 2009, the predictions for 2010 were pretty low as well.

You must have a pretty short memory if you can't remember how bad this team was over the past three years.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
The point didn't even need to be proven. The Broncos over that period were awful. Go back and read some prediction posts for the 2011 season, the average expectation was 4-5 wins. Hell, even after the epic collapse of 2009, the predictions for 2010 were pretty low as well.

You must have a pretty short memory if you can't remember how bad this team was over the past three years.

I remember how bad the team was and I like TT just as much as anyone but the fact is that if--IF--Quinn was inserted instead of TT we have no idea what the record would be.

Are you gonna tell me that you know what the Broncos record would be if Quinn started instead of TT?

Fact is, EFX caved into fan pressure to start TT and to TT's credit, the Broncos won and it was exciting. But we really do not know how the offense would have performed if Quinn was given a chance. I do know this, the entire offense would not have been changed to a spread option offense.

MacGruder
04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Did you see Quinn's last preseason game? To say he should have started over tebow is absurd...

Stuck in Cali
04-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I fully support what EFX has done. They pulled off the best way to get Tebow out of town without the call for their heads.
Now don't get me wrong I like Tebow as a person (what I know about his character is from reading and tv, I really hope its true) but as the QB for the Broncos, I hated seeing how he played. Did he win us games? Yes. But it was all not his doing. It is a team sport.
With that said I do wish him well, and sleep better at night knowing he is not a Bronco.

Shananahan
04-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I'd like for you to clarify exactly what you mean by 'a distraction to the entire Broncos organization' before I respond to this.

Thanks.

Blueflame
04-01-2012, 11:44 PM
I'd like for you to clarify exactly what you mean by 'a distraction to the entire Broncos organization' before I respond to this.

Thanks.

What needs clarification? The "Tebow thing"... "media circus"... "billboards"... it was a distraction having Tebow in Denver from the moment he was drafted.

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, but you said it was a 'distraction to the entire Broncos organization.

I just wanted you to expand on that beyond what you didn't like.

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, but you said it was a 'distraction to the entire Broncos organization.

I just wanted you to expand on that beyond what you didn't like.

It really doesn't matter anymore; the Tebow circus is the Jets' distraction now.

MacGruder
04-02-2012, 12:13 AM
What needs clarification? The "Tebow thing"... "media circus"... "billboards"... it was a distraction having Tebow in Denver from the moment he was drafted.

I think that was a media creation more than anything.. if you want to blame someone it should be the media. Tebow is just an excuse for the media to make a stink about something.

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
It really doesn't matter anymore; the Tebow circus is the Jets' distraction now.
Pretty weak. Stand by your statement and explain it.

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Pretty weak. Stand by your statement and explain it.

Fine.... it's still the Jets' problem now, but... it is not typical for a backup QB's first move upon arriving in town to be "give a press conference". Jets fans are fooling themselves if they think the howls for Tebow to be promoted to starter won't happen if Sanchez struggles at all. Other Jets teammates (Cromartie anyone?) have already expressed dismay that the Jets made the trade. The fan base is polarized (just like ours was) and if the starting job isn't ceded to Tebow by opening day, some fans will start to accuse Jets coaches and management of being inept and/or intentionally "sabotaging" Tebow's development. Other fans... and some teammates in the locker room... will want to stick with Sanchez. They have a QB controversy (whether they know or yet acknowledge it or not) simply by acquiring "the circus".

And I don't really care since it's the Jets' problem; not the Broncos'.

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Yeah that's nice and all, but it doesn't address what you said about 'the entire Broncos organization'.

Still wondering.

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Yeah that's nice and all, but it doesn't address what you said about 'the entire Broncos organization'.

Still wondering.

Which part of the Broncos organization was not adversely affected by "the circus"? (None).

houghtam
04-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Fine.... it's still the Jets' problem now, but... it is not typical for a backup QB's first move upon arriving in town to be "give a press conference". Jets fans are fooling themselves if they think the howls for Tebow to be promoted to starter won't happen if Sanchez struggles at all. Other Jets teammates (Cromartie anyone?) have already expressed dismay that the Jets made the trade. The fan base is polarized (just like ours was) and if the starting job isn't ceded to Tebow by opening day, some fans will start to accuse Jets coaches and management of being inept and/or intentionally "sabotaging" Tebow's development. Other fans... and some teammates in the locker room... will want to stick with Sanchez. They have a QB controversy (whether they know or yet acknowledge it or not) simply by acquiring "the circus".

And I don't really care since it's the Jets' problem; not the Broncos'.

With the way his last season went, if 2012 Sanchez plays poorly (could very easily insert "2011" and "Orton" in there, couldn't you?), he's going to have fans calling for his head no matter if it was Stanton or Tebow at QB. New York is not the most forgiving of cities.

So quarterback controversy aside, where exactly is the trouble for a front office with any modicum of professionalism? If the Jets' front office (or EFX, for that matter) is really concerning themselves with a split in the fan base, neither of them really deserve to be in the business. "Aw man, I had to drive past that billboard AGAIN...let's trade that guy even though he's selling a metric **** ton of jerseys for us."

Puh-and-lease.

EFX got rid of Tebow for a combination of reasons: they don't think he can play the position, Manning was available, and they feel we're close to winning a SB.

There were no conspiracies, Johnny's feelings didn't get hurt because people were chanting Tebow, Bowlen doesn't have a dartboard of Skip Bayless in his office.

You're all reading far too much into the situation...it's the opposite end of the pendulum from MacGruder...you guys are no better.

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Which part of the Broncos organization was not adversely affected by "the circus"?.
Could you be more specific?

Tell me which part was, and how.

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Could you be more specific?

Tell me which part was, and how.

How much "more specific" can it get? The circus was a distraction in Denver for 2 years and it's already a distraction in New York. I'm glad it's their problem now and not ours.

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 02:39 AM
I guess I was just waiting for you to tell me how it distracted the organization.

Maybe you don't know what 'specific' means?

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 03:00 AM
I guess I was just waiting for you to tell me how it distracted the organization.

Maybe you don't know what 'specific' means?

Or perhaps it's now clear which option given (in my post, #47 of this thread: "However... anyone who doesn't see that the Tebow circus was a distraction to the entire Broncos organization... either wasn't paying attention or willfully chose to refuse to acknowledge it.") just might apply to you. *shrug*

cutthemdown
04-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Does it matter when Elway decided to ditch Tebow? I love the fact he doesn't say what his cards are. It's actually ok for our GM or team president, whatever you want to call him, to use subterfuge on the NFL.

Elway at the time may have thought he was going to have to play Tebow. So you boost his confidence by saying he's the man. But.....if a better player comes around or a trade of value any player can go. I think Elway is doing a pretty damn good job.

The team is more talented then before he come on board and the coaching seems a lot better. We played way better football last yr under Fox.

I don't expect Elway to always be telling the truth. I just expect him to always be trying to make the team better.

ol#7
04-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Or perhaps it's now clear which option given (in my post, #47 of this thread: "However... anyone who doesn't see that the Tebow circus was a distraction to the entire Broncos organization... either wasn't paying attention or willfully chose to refuse to acknowledge it.") just might apply to you. *shrug*

Yes, terrible distraction that only led to the first playoff win in 7 years. Awful.

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 04:03 AM
Does it matter when Elway decided to ditch Tebow? I love the fact he doesn't say what his cards are. It's actually ok for our GM or team president, whatever you want to call him, to use subterfuge on the NFL.

Elway at the time may have thought he was going to have to play Tebow. So you boost his confidence by saying he's the man. But.....if a better player comes around or a trade of value any player can go. I think Elway is doing a pretty damn good job.

The team is more talented then before he come on board and the coaching seems a lot better. We played way better football last yr under Fox.

I don't expect Elway to always be telling the truth. I just expect him to always be trying to make the team better.

Amen. And he is.

BroncoBeavis
04-02-2012, 05:26 AM
Yes, terrible distraction that only led to the first playoff win in 7 years. Awful.

Yeah, why can't we just get back to the good ol' days of 4-12 and players nobody gave two ****s about.

Drek
04-02-2012, 05:32 AM

All but a handful of the 2012 contributors were on this club when Elway took over.

Half of the coaching staff was here already when Fox was hired.

Lets not trip over ourselves to pat the org. on the back when they started out 1-4 and the "gimmick" QB they had to rush off the roster post-haste was a huge part of the 7-4 finish and playoff win.

GreatBronco16
04-02-2012, 05:42 AM
All but a handful of the 2012 contributors were on this club when Elway took over.

Lets not trip over ourselves to pat the org. on the back when they started out 1-4 and the "gimmick" QB they had to rush off the roster post-haste was a huge part of the 7-4 finish and playoff win.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good Tebow bashing I allways say.:giggle:

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-02-2012, 06:08 AM
With the way his last season went, if 2012 Sanchez plays poorly (could very easily insert "2011" and "Orton" in there, couldn't you?), he's going to have fans calling for his head no matter if it was Stanton or Tebow at QB. New York is not the most forgiving of cities.

So quarterback controversy aside, where exactly is the trouble for a front office with any modicum of professionalism? If the Jets' front office (or EFX, for that matter) is really concerning themselves with a split in the fan base, neither of them really deserve to be in the business. "Aw man, I had to drive past that billboard AGAIN...let's trade that guy even though he's selling a metric **** ton of jerseys for us."

Puh-and-lease.

EFX got rid of Tebow for a combination of reasons: they don't think he can play the position, Manning was available, and they feel we're close to winning a SB.

There were no conspiracies, Johnny's feelings didn't get hurt because people were chanting Tebow, Bowlen doesn't have a dartboard of Skip Bayless in his office.

You're all reading far too much into the situation...it's the opposite end of the pendulum from MacGruder...you guys are no better.

True. At some point in the coming season, Sanchez is likely to get booed, whether it's Stanton or Tebow backing him up.

However, when it's Tebow, it's likely to happen a lot sooner, and likely after plays where Sanchez did nothing wrong. Like last year, when Orton hit Royal in the hands, the ball was dropped, and the Tebow chants and boos started. They were not isolated to a few fans.

ColoradoDarin
04-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Well, first off each of us has to decide whether or not we're going to believe this (as-yet) unsubstantiated rumor that the team "shopped" Tebow at the combine. I'm not certain that I do believe it, although I do find it plausible that EFX might have been looking at any and all means of upgrading the team at any and all positions, especially QB.

Oh yes! Of course, how would we ever deal with a distraction like fans cheering for a guy, making the playoffs and winning a ****ing playoff game.

And from the rest of your answers it shows how little you know and can't even back up your simple assertion.

BroncoBeavis
04-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Oh yes! Of course, how would we ever deal with a distraction like fans cheering for a guy, making the playoffs and winning a ****ing playoff game.

And from the rest of your answers it shows how little you know and can't even back up your simple assertion.

It was so out of hand that poor Blue had to frequent Raiders boards just to find some rational discussion. LOL

bendog
04-02-2012, 07:47 AM

It was a gimmick, dude. That's why the Jets got him to run the wildcat. Wakd the **** up.

DBroncos4life
04-02-2012, 07:53 AM
It was a gimmick, dude. That's why the Jets got him to run the wildcat. Wakd the **** up.

They will just counter with Ryan is just another NFL coach that is too dumb to understand how to use TT.

bendog
04-02-2012, 07:55 AM
They will just counter with Ryan is just another NFL coach that is too dumb to understand how to use TT.

The entire LEAGUE is too stupid to know Tebow can revolutionize the way the position is played.

DBroncos4life
04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
The entire LEAGUE is too stupid to know Tebow can revolutionize the way the position is played.

Well everyone but BB, who yet again made no move to get TT.

GreatBronco16
04-02-2012, 08:03 AM

He's got no need for TT when he has TB.

GreatBronco16
04-02-2012, 08:05 AM
It was so out of hand that poor Blue had to frequent Raiders boards just to find some rational discussion. LOL

Had??? She's on their board atleast every day. She has some good Raider fans over there. You know the same idiots that come by here every year to claim the offseason super bowl trophy.

DBroncos4life
04-02-2012, 08:07 AM
He's got no need for TT when he has TB.

I don't think BB wants any part of TT regardless.

houghtam
04-02-2012, 08:10 AM
True. At some point in the coming season, Sanchez is likely to get booed, whether it's Stanton or Tebow backing him up.

However, when it's Tebow, it's likely to happen a lot sooner, and likely after plays where Sanchez did nothing wrong. Like last year, when Orton hit Royal in the hands, the ball was dropped, and the Tebow chants and boos started. They were not isolated to a few fans.

You don't think those Tebow chants had been brewing for a long time? Was Kyle Orton playing awesome for a long time and then all of the sudden Royal drops one pass and the Tebow chants start? You're kidding, right? You don't think maybe it could have started the first game of the season when Orton dropped the ball (literally) mid-throw?

Sanchez played like **** last year. You're damn right the Tebow chants are going to start the minute he makes a bad play, and I wouldn't blame them one bit. He's been auditioning for the backup job for some time now.

GreatBronco16
04-02-2012, 08:13 AM
I don't think BB wants any part of TT regardless.

Not when he's running a precision passing offense no. Tebow hasn't shown to be that QB. But then again, he still hasn't had the proper training either in the NFL.

But yeah, I'm sure every team in the NFL sees TT only as a special package player, which is sad really.

I wonder if Elway is still going to work with him this offseason like he said he would. :giggle:

bendog
04-02-2012, 08:14 AM
The hysteria will partially ease my pain from this

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1817&dat=19800202&id=uwgdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5p4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=3939,237583

fontaine
04-02-2012, 08:16 AM
You don't think those Tebow chants had been brewing for a long time? Was Kyle Orton playing awesome for a long time and then all of the sudden Royal drops one pass and the Tebow chants start? You're kidding, right? You don't think maybe it could have started the first game of the season when Orton dropped the ball (literally) mid-throw?

Sanchez played like **** last year. You're damn right the Tebow chants are going to start the minute he makes a bad play, and I wouldn't blame them one bit. He's been auditioning for the backup job for some time now.

I hope so. It would make our playoff run that much easier without the Jets in the postseason.

MacGruder
04-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Where are you getting this? How do you know Elway would have even let him go there? If Elway did let him go there they likely win the superbowl with Tebow.. maybe for several years. Prevent Peyton and the Broncos from winning...

Maybe this is what Tebow was talking about when he said the choice wasn't really his...

lonestar
04-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Do you suppose that had there been OTA's last year before Training camp that just maybe we would not have started out 1-4..

Everyone gets that with a new coaching staff and tons of players coming off of surgery as well as a couple of rookies becoming instant starters things SHOULD BE bad until everyone gets it..

Just maybe with OTA's and more time with the coaching staff Tebow would have been teh starter day one..

LOts of thing got screwed because of OTA's..

lonestar
04-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I hope so. It would make our playoff run that much easier without the Jets in the postseason.

Hell he inspired this cluster **** of a team into the playoffs ..

Just think what he can do with a much better team, great defense and a pretty good running game IIRC.

I doubt that Tebow makes that team worse..

Drek
04-02-2012, 11:03 AM

So a run oriented offense is a gimmick?

We ran option plays a handful of times in most games, it was never the bread and butter of the offense. Tebow took off an ran some here and there, is it a gimmick when Mike Vick or Cam Newton do that?

I didn't see a whole lot of gimmick in the game plan that beat the Vikings on the road or the Steelers at home in the playoffs.

And FYI, the Jets got him to be their new starting QB. Its just a little too early to throw Sanchez under the bus after his new deal. Tebow probably takes over that team by mid-season.

derp
04-02-2012, 11:06 AM
they likely win the superbowl with Tebow.. maybe for several years.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu017fACAz1qg3a0n.jpg

Shananahan
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
It's kinda funny how you accuse others of refusing to acknowledge something you can't even explain or give examples of.

houghtam
04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
It's kinda funny how you accuse others of refusing to acknowledge something you can't even explain or give examples of.

Her schtick is a figurative Play-Doh Fun Factory of BS, supposition, and misdirection. There is no validity to her opinion on the subject, it's conjecture in every sense of the word, and bad-intentioned conjecture, at that.

DBroncos4life
04-02-2012, 11:33 AM
So a run oriented offense is a gimmick?

We ran option plays a handful of times in most games, it was never the bread and butter of the offense. Tebow took off an ran some here and there, is it a gimmick when Mike Vick or Cam Newton do that?

I didn't see a whole lot of gimmick in the game plan that beat the Vikings on the road or the Steelers at home in the playoffs.

And FYI, the Jets got him to be their new starting QB. Its just a little too early to throw Sanchez under the bus after his new deal. Tebow probably takes over that team by mid-season.
Hilarious!

bendog
04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Tebow would be a distraction if EFX finally made the decision that his skill set just didn't translate into the NFL. IF they were looking at Weeden in the second to come in and compete with Tebow, then that would be a huge distraction, esp if Weeden outplayed him in practice. So, EFX may have wanted to move on even before everyone was positive that Indy wasn't going to find a way to keep Peyton.

And honestly it appears even Quinn beat him out in camp last year. So what happens if they signed a guy like Jason Campbell .... Campbell's middle of the pack, but he's going to make Tebow look awful on timing throws and five step drops.

And EFX NEVER said they contemplated the read option gimmick again next year. Elway said Tebow earned the right to come in as the incumbant who had the job unless someone took it. It may be as simple as Elway thought about what he said, and what the meant camp would be like - given the insanity of the tebowites - and said "oh ****."

CEH
04-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Jets are doing the same exact thing that EFX did. Try to limit is outside activities during football season and trying to make Tebow a good QB

Sounds familiar

Ryan said last week that his view of his top two quarterbacks is, “Tim Tebow is a good football player. Mark Sanchez is a good quarterback.” Tebow may get a chance to prove he’s a good football player at more than one position.
They want there soon to be starting QB to play the protector on punts because he can throw/run the ball.

bendog
04-02-2012, 12:15 PM
They want there soon to be starting QB to play the protector on punts because he can throw/run the ball.

That'd be fun to watch.

peacepipe
04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Where are you getting this? How do you know Elway would have even let him go there? If Elway did let him go there they likely win the superbowl with Tebow.. maybe for several years. Prevent Peyton and the Broncos from winning...

Maybe this is what Tebow was talking about when he said the choice wasn't really his...At what position? definately not QB. no amount of TT support would make BB bench tom brady.

Blueflame
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM

There are no accusations whatsoever... I'm just glad the circus has moved on to New York (anywhere but Denver).

DENVERDUI55
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Tebow was shopped and very few buyers. Denver got lucky to get what they got for him.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM

It was in the second quarter of the first game. Before Orton's drop.

And to say a 47% passer is auditioning for anything OTHER than a backup job is just laughable. Hilarious, actually.

But whatever. I'm glad the kid and his circus is gone. I don't think he'll amount to much, but if he does, I'll be happy for him. He's a nice guy, and I think he'd be the best fullback in league history if he chose to give up the QB dream, but... maybe someday.

lonestar
04-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Not sure what your looking for but her explainations all of them were perfectly clear to me and I'd guess almost everyone else..

time to move on..

errand
04-02-2012, 04:33 PM
The hysteria will partially ease my pain from this

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1817&dat=19800202&id=uwgdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5p4EAAAAIBAJ&pg=3939,237583

Ha ha....Matt Robinson....who played well in a few games as Richard Todd's back-up with Jets. Signed by Miller because everyone was starting to sour on Morton.

He did produce a very good 41-21 beatdown on Cowboys that year...but he too hit the overhyped wall...and ended up as an above average QB for the USFL's Jacksonville Bulls

errand
04-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Hell he inspired this cluster **** of a team into the playoffs ..

Just think what he can do with a much better team, great defense and a pretty good running game IIRC.

I doubt that Tebow makes that team worse..

That's kind of ironic, because EFX was probably wondering how good this cluster**** team would be with a real NFL QB leading it.

lonestar
04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
That's kind of ironic, because EFX was probably wondering how good this cluster**** team would be with a real NFL QB leading it.

we will see.. however i'm not holding my breath..

Unless all the stars line upwith teh moons and sun just right, an 8-8 season is about as good as it gets this coming year..

we have amlost zero depth at all spots, the DL is still a cluster ****..outside of doom who is a one trick pony nothing to write home about, none of the pro bowl players will not be threatened by them..

Manning is just one guy and we needed much more..

cutthemdown
04-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Broncos were total crap when Fox and Elway came on board. Friggin defense couldn't even get right amount of people on the field. It's not so much they did some fantastic job and they did a very competent job.