PDA

View Full Version : • Since 2002 The Oakland Raiders and The Cleveland Browns have the same EXACT number of wins • 56

Bronco Rob
03-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Have the Raiders fallen behind?

By Bill Williamson Mar 30 12:00PM ET

The Oakland Raiders are one of the most intriguing franchises in the NFL these days. How will the post-Al Davis Raiders evolve?

After Davis' death in October, the much-less-involved Mark Davis turned his father’s beloved franchise over to Reggie McKenzie, a respected personnel man from Green Bay, who is embarking on his first journey as a general manager. McKenzie has entrusted former Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen, who at 39 is the youngest coach in the league, to be the next coach of a team that finished 8-8 last season and barely missed the playoffs.

The first focus for McKenzie has been clearing the Raiders’ roster of bloated contracts given to players as the Raiders desperately, and unsuccessfully, chased championships in Davis’ final years.

It has been a necessary exercise as Oakland begins the process of getting out of salary-cap jail. But Oakland has lost more talent than it has brought in the past month.

The question begs to be asked: Has Oakland fallen behind the rest of the AFC West for the 2012 season? It depends on whom you ask, of course. Asked this week if his team will be stronger or weaker in 2012, McKenzie, without explanation, said this: “Honestly, I envision it being stronger.”

However, many folks around the league wonder how.

“I think they have fallen behind,” Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. said. “They are in a tough salary-cap position and they are paying for it now. I just don’t see the improvement.”

Added Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.: “I do think they have slipped.” Williamson, in an Insider piece, gave the Raiders one of the worst free-agent grades in the AFC.

It’s difficult to look at the list of players Oakland has added and lost and not come to the same conclusion. Even given the need for salary-cap repair, a loss of talent mustn’t be brushed aside.

Here are some of the key players who were either cut or departed Oakland as free agents: linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, running back Michael Bush, quarterback Jason Campbell, cornerback Stanford Routt, tight end Kevin Boss, defensive tackle John Henderson, running back Rock Cartwright, receiver Chaz Schilens, defensive end Trevor Scott and cornerback Chris Johnson.

The projected starters who have been brought in: guard Mike Brisiel and cornerbacks Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer.

“You look who has come and who has gone, and it’s scary,” Horton said. “I like Mike Brisiel. He will help. But the two cornerbacks are just guys. They are not starters for a good team. The defense needs improvement and I don’t see it. All I see is the loss of talent. Where is the coverage coming from? Where is the pass-rush coming from?”

In addition to not having much cap room, the Raiders have a small draft class. They have five picks and their first pick is No. 95, at the end of the third round. McKenzie has said the Raiders need a starting outside linebacker. He might not know who that player is for some time.

Compounding the concern in Oakland is the fact that the rest of the AFC West has been aggressive this offseason.

Denver added the big prize of the NFL offseason -- quarterback Peyton Manning. Kansas City added several players, including Routt and Boss after they were jettisoned by Oakland. The Chargers lost star receiver Vincent Jackson and key backup running back Mike Tolbert, but added several pieces and have been lauded by scouts around the league for using their resources properly and adding to their overall talent level. Speaking this week solely about his own team, Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli said he felt the need to improve his roster because of the improvement around him in the division.

Meanwhile, McKenzie and Allen are seemingly beginning their tenure in Oakland by taking a step back. Asked about the loss of talent while at the NFL owners meetings this week, Allen took a realistic approach.

“You know what, we knew what the situation was when we were going into it,” Allen said. “We knew it was going to be a tough situation. I think Reggie’s done a great job of managing everything as we’ve gone through this. You go through it every year. Every year, you have good players that you lose. And you’ve got to find a way to regroup and replace those guys, and that’s what we’re trying to get done.”

The problem is that Oakland has more holes than it did at the end of last season. In the past couple of seasons, the Raiders were intriguing because they were young and didn’t have many glaring needs. All they needed was their young talent to continue to improve. Now, though, Oakland has holes at tight end and linebacker and depth issues at all layers of the defense, at running back, along the offensive line and at quarterback.

“What if this team gets hurt a lot?” Horton asked. “There is no depth in this team.”

Still, not all is lost in Oakland. Running back Darren McFadden is an elite runner when healthy, the defensive line is an upper-echelon unit, the interior offensive line is strong, the special teams are top-notch, the receiver crew is potentially dynamic and the team believes quarterback Carson Palmer will benefit from a full offseason in the program.

The Raiders are hopeful that their talent can withstand this necessary offseason of cap repair. In a couple of years, if McKenzie continues to be financially prudent, the Raiders should be out of cap jail.

“This team wasn’t far away when I got here,” Allen said at the owners meetings. “We’re excited about trying to build on that and develop this team into a playoff-caliber team. Obviously, we took a couple hits because of the cap situation, but we’re looking forward to trying to develop the team and the players.”

The only question: Has the rest of the AFC West left the Raiders behind in the immediate future?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/42270/have-the-raiders-fallen-behind

Punisher
03-31-2012, 06:35 AM
I was some what convinced they had a good team last year

boppool
03-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Dennis Allen has made a huge mistake by taking the Faiders' gig...

Wouldn't it be funny, if Del Rio becomes a head coach elsewhere come next season and newly unemployed Allen comes back to us as the new defensive coordinator...

Well, it worked out for us with Shannahan, right?

DarkHorse
03-31-2012, 09:05 AM
They will be battling the Queefs for ownership of the basement.

baja
03-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Wouldn't it be funny, if Del Rio becomes a head coach elsewhere come next season and newly unemployed Allen comes back to us as the new defensive coordinator...

Ya know he probably did. Fox will not coach forever and Allen was the obvious choice to replace him but you don't get offered a HC position everyday.

boppool
03-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Ya know he probably did. Fox will not coach forever and Allen was the obvious choice to replace him but you don't get offered a HC position everyday.

That's fair. But with another season and as his young defense improves, better opportunities would definately come.

Since 1994, no head coach lasted more than 3 years in Oakland/LA, which include Jon Gruden. Also, not only Oakland has no cap space to sign, they have limited draft picks and lost several key players via free agency.

Now having said that, I do like Allen as heir apparent to Fox and would welcome him back here any time.

baja
03-31-2012, 09:45 AM
That's fair. But with another season and as his young defense improves, better opportunities would definately come.

Since 1994, no head coach lasted more than 3 years in Oakland/LA, which include Jon Gruden. Also, not only Oakland has no cap space to sign, they have limited draft picks and lost several key players via free agency.

Now having said that, I do like Allen as heir apparent to Fox and would welcome him back here any time.

Oakland should be a very different franchise going forward.

Tombstone RJ
03-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Its hard to say where the faid will be in a few years, the crypt keeper is dead and the team is being run by a real GM. Yah, they are going to suck for the immediate future but if they draft well, coach well and become more stable then they will inevitably be competitive.

Rohirrim
03-31-2012, 09:55 AM
The good news for the Raiders is that they'll have a top five pick next year.

Rohirrim
03-31-2012, 09:58 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4B_y534IYJI/Ss0svzPVVkI/AAAAAAAAAAc/wsPRDmdCLX0/s320/jamarcus+fur.jpg

bronco militia
03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
slipped from what? worst to worstest?

;D

these clowns haven't done jack **** in 10 years

DarkHorse
03-31-2012, 10:04 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4B_y534IYJI/Ss0svzPVVkI/AAAAAAAAAAc/wsPRDmdCLX0/s320/jamarcus+fur.jpg

I got 5 bucks that says that rapper guy doesn't own that coat anymore.

Meck77
03-31-2012, 10:16 AM

I think this puts things in perspective.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9669/broncosbusnexttokcbusha.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/broncosbusnexttokcbusha.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Heyneck
03-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I got 5 bucks that says that rapper guy doesn't own that coat anymore.

I bet he does... that dude pulled off the biggest heist in NFL history!!! :wiggle:

Ugly Duck
03-31-2012, 11:02 AM

Methinks you underestimate KC. They get back the star players that were on IR last year, added some good players & have a ****load of cap room to add more. If they had a QB, they'd be ruling this division. I figure KC will be neck & neck with Denver for the AFCW crown.

This quote addresses the question of the OP: "The first focus for McKenzie has been clearing the Raiders’ roster of bloated contracts given to players as the Raiders desperately, and unsuccessfully, chased championships in Davis’ final years." The death of Al Davis has brought in a new GM that has gutted the organization from top to bottom. Legacy font office personnel, coaches, trainers, assistants & players alike have been booted out the door. This is a total rebuild being attempted without cap room or draft picks. Oaktown has to learn how to become a real NFL franchise starting from less than scratch. Has Oakland taken a step back? It don't take a jenious to figure that one out.....

baja
03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Methinks you underestimate KC. They get back the star players that were on IR last year, added some good players & have a ****load of cap room to add more. If they had a QB, they'd be ruling this division. I figure KC will be neck & neck with Denver for the AFCW crown.

This quote addresses the question of the OP: "The first focus for McKenzie has been clearing the Raiders’ roster of bloated contracts given to players as the Raiders desperately, and unsuccessfully, chased championships in Davis’ final years." The death of Al Davis has brought in a new GM that has gutted the organization from top to bottom. Legacy font office personnel, coaches, trainers, assistants & players alike have been booted out the door. This is a total rebuild being attempted without cap room or draft picks. Oaktown has to learn how to become a real NFL franchise starting from less than scratch. Has Oakland taken a step back? It don't take a jenious to figure that one out.....

Well there certainly aren't many of them around

Ugly Duck
03-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Well there certainly aren't many of them around

Thank you, baja. You and I - we understand that literal words are correlated with context in the right ventromedial prefrontal cortex. If there is a disconnect between the two (i.e., sarcasm), this is where it will be recognized in the brain. Most Bronco fans aren't capable of understanding that, but you, baja.... you and I, are apparently cut from the same cloth....

baja
03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Should good sarcasm need explaining? Just wondering/

Ugly Duck
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM

Only when it's a backhanded jab at those who do not....

Bronco Rob
03-31-2012, 08:49 PM

Hilarious!

broncocalijohn
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Oakland should be a very different franchise going forward.

after a few bad seasons, it will get better for them if they have the right scouts. They should just admit they are in salary cap hell and will need to deal with it for at least 2 seasons. Their major problem is lack of quality draft picks and they must score big in the later rounds. It could be at least 4 seasons before they smell 1st place in the division. We can once again thank Al Davis and the Front office staff for giving us Raider's Committment to Average for the next few seasons.

Captain 'Dre
04-01-2012, 12:16 PM

It's the Raiders. That makes it a Junior head Coaching position.

400HZ
04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
At least they can have some optimism for the future with Al Davis gone and a supposedly sharp personnel guy in charge. This year they are screwed. This won't be another year where 9 wins takes the division, either. If you think about the last couple years, there were stretches of each season where Denver, KC, and SD were easy wins. I get the feeling that things may be a lot different this year.

Punisher
04-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I bet he does... that dude pulled off the biggest heist in NFL history!!! :wiggle:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZubYpplmzVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heyneck
04-01-2012, 01:29 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZubYpplmzVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... John Elway like... hahahahaha!!! What a fail Kiper is!!! J.Russel is still laughing all the way to the bank!

Bronco Rob
04-02-2012, 08:07 AM
The Autumn wind is a losing team
Blustering in from last place
With a rollicking song he loses along
With their fans Swaggering boisterously

His face is beaten in
He wears a hooded sash
His team the raiders have no cash

With his silver hat about his head
Their playoff hopes since 2002 are surley dead.

:raidersux

Bronco Rob
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q9_Rr-YNdYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crushaholic
05-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Its hard to say where the faid will be in a few years, the crypt keeper is dead and the team is being run by a real GM. Yah, they are going to suck for the immediate future but if they draft well, coach well and become more stable then they will inevitably be competitive.

Once the Raiduhs become halfway competitive, Denver will have won another Super Bowl (or two) with Manning...:believeit

Bronco Rob
05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
“There was a point — and I know it seems crazy — but there was a point I was asking myself if I really loved this game anymore. That’s where I was at [emotionally]. Throughout the whole season I wasn’t playing, I wasn’t getting no love toward me. I just felt some type of way. I started questioning myself, even though I shouldn’t have. I was like, ‘Do I even love this game? Do I want to play this game? Is this what I want to do?’”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/10/pryor-says-he-questioned-in-2011-whether-he-still-wanted-to-play/

Black96WS6
05-10-2012, 01:20 PM
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3615/raiderscollide.gif

CoopDawg
05-10-2012, 01:45 PM
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/3615/raiderscollide.gif

:notworthy

This sums the Raiders up perfectly

Gort
05-10-2012, 01:50 PM
:notworthy

This sums the Raiders up perfectly

almost.

somebody on the OL also needs to be flagged for offsides or holding on that play as well. then it would sum up the Raiders perfectly.

Captain 'Dre
05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
The good news for the Raiders is that they'll have a top five pick next year.

But no 2nd rounder, as it's already signed over to the Bengals as the final installment payment for Carson Palmer.

If McFadden stays healthy, the Raiders could win 6 games, which would make it more like pick in the #10-#13 overall range.

Black96WS6
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
almost.

somebody on the OL also needs to be flagged for offsides or holding on that play as well. then it would sum up the Raiders perfectly.

This is so true.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2012/01/raiders-join-nfl-record-setters-on-sunday-with-more-penalties.html

The Oakland Raiders were part of a record-setting day in the NFL on Sunday when they became the most penalized team in a season.

Rock Cartwright was called for holding during the second-half kickoff return against the San Diego Chargers for the Raiders' 159th penalty of the season, breaking the mark of the 1998 Kansas City Chiefs, who set records for penalties (158) and yards penalized (1,304).

Oakland tied the record for the most penalties when Stanford Routt was called for interference against Chargers receiver Malcolm Floyd in the end zone in the second quarter.

The Raiders were penalized eight times for 64 yards in the 38-26 loss to San Diego. Their record-setting totals for the season: 163 penalties for 1,358 yards.

Oakland eclipsed the Chiefs' record for most penalty yards in a season on Matt Giordano's personal foul in the first quarter.

Kaylore
05-10-2012, 05:28 PM
The Raiders have always been penalty-prone. It seems like Al Davis was proud of it, when it really just cost them games. You give 70 yards of offense to the other team, often in critical situations (third downs, scoring plays) that doesn't make you tough and nasty, it means you're stupid and poorly coached.

DBroncos4life
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM

I don't want Allen back and we better not get ANOTHER new DC next year. So tired of new guys coming in. Del Rio needs to be our DC for no less then 3 years IMO.

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
At the end of their 2009 campaign, the Raiders became the first team in NFL history to lose at least 11 games in seven straight seasons.

:thumbs:

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/nfl_u_davis_wm_200.jpg

Though Davis was a legend, his ways didn’t always work in today's NFL. The Raiders’ last Super Bowl title came nearly 30 years ago and Oakland hasn't had a winning season in 10 years. Its nine-year playoff drought is tied for the second-longest in the NFL.

If there has been an MVP in Oakland since Davis’ death, it has to be his son, Mark. While his father ran the team, the affable younger Davis chose to ride in the background. Once he took over as the leader of the Raiders, Mark continued that approach.

:thumbs:

barryr
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
The Raider franchise has been a joke for years. Their only coaches who had success the last 20 years or so, they(Davis) quickly got rid of. I am betting Pryor ends up the starter at QB by the end of the next season. To lead the league or be towards the top in penalties just about every year shows a lack of intelligence as an organization or paying attention ot the finer details that helps teams win more than the others. Nobody fears the Raiders anymore and haven't for decades, so they can quit this facade of being this rough and tough team that commits all of these penalties since they do not have the talent to overcome them like in the past. Besides, many penalties they get seem to be the dumb ones like offsides and false starts.

Ronnie Tsunami
05-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Bill williamson needs to stop featuring his ****ing son in literally HALF of his articles.

UberBroncoMan
05-11-2012, 01:35 PM
This division is not going to be a two way race with us and San Diego like so many people are assuming.

Bronco Rob
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
This division is not going to be a two way race with us and San Diego like so many people are assuming.

Do tell?

???

Bronco Rob
05-29-2012, 09:02 AM
1. Oakland's projected started cornerbacks are Ronald Bartell and Shawntae Spencer. Both players are 30 years old and were released by their previous teams. The Raiders figure to change from their decades-old approach of cornerback and the pieces from the previous regime don't necessarily fit.

2. Starting middle linebacker Rolando McClain hasn't performed to his draft level and he's facing 180 days in prison. If McClain has to go to jail during the season, untested third-year player Travis Goethel is projected to start. The other starting linebackers are Aaron Curry and free agent pickup Philip Wheeler. There are a lot of moving parts here. There aren't many difference makers.

3. The defensive line should lead the way, but it's worth noting Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly are not exactly ascending players. Seymour is the consummate pro but he can't be expected to dominate at age 33. Seymour is set to make $15 million, a figure worthy of a dominating player. Kelly will make $6 million.

4. Allen would love to show 3-4 fronts this year, but he doesn't yet have the personnel to do it.

5. This is a defense is transition. We know Allen is creative, but there are no easy answers with a cornerback group as shaky as this one. This team finished 29th in both points and yards allowed last year.

We wouldn't expect much improvement from the group this year, which will be tough to take for a defensive-minded coach like Allen.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d829253ea/The-Commitment-to-Excellence-rolls-on

LOL