PDA

View Full Version : Osweiler

MABroncoFan
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Josh Norris‏@JoshNorrisReply

RT @OptimumScouting: Brock Osweiler went 66-75 in his throwing session, expected to visit #Chiefs #Bills #Denver and #Miami

RhymesayersDU
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes!!!!!

Bronco Boy
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Sucks. Do not want.

OBF1
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
NO!!!!!

Ratboy
03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
huge QB.

Drunk Monkey
03-30-2012, 01:56 PM
pass

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Osweiler > Hanie.

razorwire77
03-30-2012, 02:25 PM
As long as it's in the late rounds where 9 times out of 10 you're lucky if you get a special teams guy. I think we take a flier on a late round QB. I'd prefer Lindley over Osweiler, but with a 5th rounder? Who cares?

Heyneck
03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
sucks!!! Drew Bledsoe sucked and Osweiler is a carbon copy!

cmhargrove
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM
As long as it's in the late rounds where 9 times out of 10 you're lucky if you get a special teams guy. I think we take a flier on a late round QB. I'd prefer Lindley over Osweiler, but with a 5th rounder? Who cares?

It may sound funny, but I think we could still find a player with the chance to start. There will still be some Centers, Guards, DT's, WR's and LB's worth taking in the fifth round.

Oh well, if they think they have a guy that can sit for 3-4 years and learn behind Manning I really can't complain.

2KBack
03-30-2012, 02:45 PM

um...what? That is a very poor comparison. I'm not saying that Osweiler is going to be good or anything....but they aren't very copies at all. Osweiler is a damn good athlete, Drew was a statue.

Houshyamama
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM

wut

ColoradoDarin
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Gabbert 2.0!

(I have no idea, I don't really watch college ball)

broncos-rock
03-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Brock Osweiler - QB - Player
NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler will be a first-round pick after Friday's Pro Day.
Brandt gave Osweiler "very good" marks for accuracy in the throwing session, noting that seven of Osweiler's 72 throws hit the ground. Brandt also observed that Osweiler "presented himself very well" with Seahawks, Browns, and Dolphins evaluators among the most prominent attendees. "There is a lot of excitement about him," Brandt wrote of Osweiler, who may be overdrafted in April.
Source: NFL.com Mar 30 - 4:26 PM

1st rounder? Wow that would be four and that would be good for us!

yerner
03-30-2012, 03:39 PM
those 15 scum devil starts were sure impressive. give me a ****ing break.

Punisher
03-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Do It

yerner
03-30-2012, 03:49 PM

drew bledsoe didn't suck. look at his numbers. he was a 4 time pro bowl selection. 2 time all pro. he was a professional qb.

osweiler hasn't produced close to bledsoe college resume. guy started 15 games and is trying to play at a height that very few qb's have ever played at. this guy is a 3rd rounder at best.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 03:55 PM
drew bledsoe didn't suck. look at his numbers. he was a 4 time pro bowl selection. 2 time all pro. he was a professional qb.

osweiler hasn't produced close to bledsoe college resume. guy started 15 games and is trying to play at a height that very few qb's have ever played at. this guy is a 3rd rounder at best.

He's more athletic than other guys his height, he's an interesting prospect, one we could afford to develop for a while. I dunno, im not saying we should take him in the 2nd, but i wouldnt be completely allergic to it either. He has a funny release, but he's accurate

2KBack
03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
He's more athletic than other guys his height, he's an interesting prospect, one we could afford to develop for a while. I dunno, im not saying we should take him in the 2nd, but i wouldnt be completely allergic to it either. He has a funny release, but he's accurate

He has some of the best physical tools in this draft. He is major raw though....he could have used another year of college. Which is why Denver wouldn't be a bad spot for him, he will likely be sitting for a couple seasons at least.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Some team will over draft this kid, guaranteed. It always happens, just look at last year's draft.

yerner
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM

I won't be a hypocrite and say if they draft him in the 2nd i'll be pissed, but he is in no way a first round prospect. I'm a zona fan, and I don't think Foles is any better than a 3rd rounder either. These guys are just not worth a significant investment.

SouthStndJunkie
03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm not a fan of Brock Osweiler....if he goes in the first round, it will be a joke.

Houshyamama
03-30-2012, 04:08 PM
I think he will surprise a lot of folks, kid can play.

oubronco
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I went and watched highlights on youtube that dude sucks

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Look at last year's draft as the prime example of teams over drafting at the QB position. Jake Locker taken #8, Blaine Gabbert taken #10, Christian Ponder taken #12. All over drafted IMHO.

The best pick appears to be Dalton who as taken in the second round by Cincy. They didn't over reach on this kid and he's done pretty well so far.

ZONA
03-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Nick Foles is sorta the same player. Tall, more athletic then you think, accurate. But Foles has a cannon for an arm while Osweiler has only an above average arm. I would be ok with either Foles or Osweiler but not until the 3rd. Based on what we saw last year, it could be both guys go in the 2nd round though.

Lestat
03-30-2012, 04:56 PM
if he's a 2nd round pick or 3rd yeah that's fine. but no chance in hell the Broncos take him in the first. some team might be dumb enough to but unless you let him develop for 3 years behind someone you're talking about another Kyle Boller.

Hamrob
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM
sucks!!! Drew Bledsoe sucked and Osweiler is a carbon copy!BS, Osweiler is an athelete...he can run, in fact he throws excellent on the run. The only thing that is like Bledsoe is his size.

broncogary
03-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Some team will over draft this kid, guaranteed. It always happens, just look at last year's draft.

According to a lot of people, if he gets drafted in the first it means he has first round talent. ;D

lonestar
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
if we take on the third day not an issue..

that means 5th or later..

if he is around that long go for it..

any pick after about the 120th pick and makes the team is pure gravy..

From all I have heard about this kid is ne is a 2-3 year project.. Might be worth setting behind Manning..

Borks147
03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Nick Foles is sorta the same player. Tall, more athletic then you think, accurate. But Foles has a cannon for an arm while Osweiler has only an above average arm. I would be ok with either Foles or Osweiler but not until the 3rd. Based on what we saw last year, it could be both guys go in the 2nd round though.

I defer to the guy named "ZONA" (for ****'s sake), but when I saw them play (I watch the PAC10), I thought Osweiler had a very strong arm. He looked raw, for sure, but I distinctly recall thinking that he could makes all the pro throws.

edit: PAC 12...still not used to that...

2KBack
03-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Does anyone actually watch or read up on these guys? Osweiler is known for having a very strong arm

ZONA
03-30-2012, 06:25 PM
I defer to the guy named "ZONA" (for ****'s sake), but when I saw them play (I watch the PAC10), I thought Osweiler had a very strong arm. He looked raw, for sure, but I distinctly recall thinking that he could makes all the pro throws.

edit: PAC 12...still not used to that...

I think his arm is above average for sure but I just saying it's not a great arm, and I've heard many a scout say the same thing on sports radio. I've watched a ton of his games and I just don't see great power in the throws. He's got a good arm, just not great is all I'm saying.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Does anyone actually watch or read up on these guys? Osweiler is known for having a very strong arm

It doesnt appear THAT strong on film...its not weak, but not a cannon either

Houshyamama
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM

There's a lot of Osweiler hate on here, probably because he's a Devil. He didn't have much help at WR outside of Robinson. He's a good leader too, I would be ecstatic if we picked him up in the 3rd.

ZONA
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM

No he's not - do some more reading. Same as Andrew Luck. Can make all the throws yes, definitely not a weak arm by any means. Just don't go calling it a great arm, because neither of them have that.

Broncoman13
03-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Osweiler has a huge arm. His throwing mechanics are sketchy... throws a lot off balance but still has pretty good accuracy in spite of the mechanical issues. The perfect scenario for this kid would be in Denver. Sit, learn, work mechanics and develop for two or three years. Problem is, he is going to be overdrafted. His height, athleticism and strong arm made him a lock for the 2nd round before his proday. Now he's really increasing his stock. No character flaws and a strong leader according to teammates and coaches. Yeah, I can see a team reaching for him in the 2nd round. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Cleveland take him with their 2nd 1st round pick.

Broncoman13
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
6’7, 240 pounds | Quarterback | Arizona State

Accuracy: Osweiler has the arm strength to accurately place the ball in a tight window when he’s hitting his passes. The trouble is, Osweiler often throws off balance from his back foot losing accuracy. Accuracy was inconsistent throughout his junior season. Threw a lot of slant and swing passes showing good ball placement and touch. When on the move, Osweiler would often throw low.

Arm strength: Has an arm that is exceptionally strong, and maybe the strongest of any quarterback in the draft. He just didn't get to show it all the time in the Arizona State offense. Drives the ball well to the outside hash. Knows how to take some zip off his ball in the short passing game. Many quarterbacks with the same kind of big arm throw short passes too hard, making them hard to catch.

Decision making: When the first read isn’t available, Osweiler tends to struggle finding the next option and will force throws. That’s the main reason why he needed more experience in college. He started just more than a year’s worth of games, and isn’t a very savvy player.

Field vision: Has made improvements reading defenses pre-snap as the 2011 season progressed. Benefited from predominantly lining up in the shotgun. Will lock on his targets too much, especially in the short and middle passing areas. Will need to learn how to manipulate safeties with his eyes. Does a nice job of changing his release point to fire the ball through an open area.

Mechanics: Has worked a lot to shorten up and quicken his delivery. Coming out of high school, Osweiler had a long release over the top windup. Before his junior season with the Sun Devils, he worked diligently to shorten his release. The three-quarters, Philip Rivers-style release was more successful for Osweiler, though it has lowered his release point. Because of his height, it’s not a major concern. He'll on occasion revert to his old motion, especially when he has to drive the ball deep.

It's difficult to fully judge Osweiler's footwork since he took few snaps from under center. Many long-limbed quarterbacks get tangled up on five-step drops and have to take their time. This is the biggest area of Osweiler's game that remains a question mark. Accuracy drops because he too often throws off his back foot.

Pocket awareness: Still learning line adjustments to better protect himself against blitzes. Clearly struggled in this area against Illinois. In that game, Osweiler was forced to forced to speed up his game, which led to some poor ball placement. Isn't a statue in the pocket. A former high school basketball player, Osweiler has nimble feet and is quick enough to elude pressure.

Final word: Including Baylor’s Robert Griffin III, no quarterback in the 2012 NFL Draft has as much potential and natural ability as Osweiler. He’s a tall, strong-armed athletic passer with a quick release and a lot of room to grow. What keeps Osweiler from being an elite-level quarterback prospect is a lack of experience and some accuracy issues. It’s concerning that Osweiler didn’t take a hold of Arizona State’s quarterback job until the latter part of the 2010 season. Because of his lack of experience, he has some technical flaws and often works just the first read. With the right coaching and enough reps, though, Osweiler could develop into a very good NFL quarterback

Broncoman13
03-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Osweiler is similar to both Flacco and Rivers in that he is a big quarterback with a great arm. I think as an NFL player, he’ll be inferior to Rivers and superior to Flacco, who is still a bit of a question mark heading into year 5. He’s actually taller than both Flacco and Rivers and while he doesn’t quite have Flacco’s arm strength (few do), he’s got a quicker and more fluid release than both Rivers and Flacco and he’s more athletic.

Broncoman13
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State

Projecting where Brock Osweiler will be selected isn't easy this far out from the draft. Demand for elite quarterbacks is extremely high and in the 2011 NFL Draft, four QBs went in the first 12 selections and six were taken by pick No. 36. This could push Osweiler into the first half of the first round or somewhere into the second.
Osweiler is a very tall quarterback with a cannon for an arm. For his size, he moves well outside of the pocket, but has sloppy footwork inside the pocket. He's so tall that his throwing motion feels (or seems) a bit elongated. He'll need to shorten and work on his throwing motion in order to be more consistent with his ball placement.

He's not ready at this time, but a good quarterbacks coach will do this young man wonders. Osweiler's problems are mostly tied to his fundamentals and nerves. He seemed to lack confidence in his receivers at times and didn't consistently stand tall in the pocket throughout his progression. He'll need to sharpen his ability to read defenses pre-snap.

All this said, when things are clicking, Osweiler has a nice touch with the football and great velocity. He's a natural competitor and leader who will grow into the position even though he's still a year away.

Broncoman13
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Brock Osweiler Scouting Report Brock Osweiler - Arizona State (HT: 6-6⅞ - WT: 242)
Positives-- Massive size, is by far the largest quarterback of this class and draws comparisons to guys like Derek Anderson and Ryan Mallet for his size and arm strength... Huge arm, can make every throw at the next level, gets terrific zip on his intermediate throws... Can fit the ball into tight windows and

really sling the ball down the field... Put up big numbers during his only season as a starter, threw for over 4,000 yards and 26 touchdowns... Good footwork, moves well in the pocket and sets his feet before throwing... Will step into pressure, rarely throws off balance... Surprising athlete for his size, can scramble outside of the pocket, had previously committed to Gonzaga to play basketball... Osweiler's combination of size and mobility is rare and should intrigue NFL teams, needs to be coached up but could develop and be an effective NFL quarterback if given time.
Negatives -- Tries to throw the ball as hard as he can for some throws that should be simple touch passes... Doesn't do a good job of throwing his receiver open, has some serious ball placement issues where he doesn't give his receiver a chance to even make a play... Struggles with his accuracy down the field, regularly over throws his receivers... Misses some of the easiest throws and then will complete one of the toughest... Ended 2011 by throwing five interceptions in his final three games... Will force throws into traffic, looks like he could be prone to interceptions in the NFL... Quarterbacks with his height have not performed well historically at the NFL level... Despite his tall stature, he releases the ball low and he has a ton of balls batted down at the line of scrimmage... Only has one season under his belt as a starter, so he's fairly inexperienced for a guy coming into the NFL... Played primarily out of the shotgun and will have to adjust to playing under center... Would have benefited by returning for his senior year, raw and still and unfinished product... Has all the physical tools but lacks refinement... Arizona State's offense is tailor made to help out quarterbacks, predicated on short passes which has helped pad his statistics... High bust potential.

Read more: http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/2012/qb/brock-osweiler/#ixzz1qeQsZ514

Shananahan
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
those 15 scum devil starts were sure impressive. give me a ****ing break.
I only saw him play against Missouri, and he looked very good that day.

I'd be fine with this anywhere after the fourth round, though there was never really a chance that would happen. The more offensive players shooting up the boards right now the better.

Broncoman13
03-30-2012, 06:50 PM
No he's not - do some more reading. Same as Andrew Luck. Can make all the throws yes, definitely not a weak arm by any means. Just don't go calling it a great arm, because neither of them have that.

If any thing, I have more questions regarding your ability to assess arm strength then I do of Osweiler's arm strength!!!

yerner
03-30-2012, 06:52 PM
BS, Osweiler is an athelete...he can run, in fact he throws excellent on the run. The only thing that is like Bledsoe is his size.

He is an athlete sort of, but at 6'7 he is almost too lanky for the NFL. How many qb's have succeeded at that height? Dan Mcguire was 6'8. He was a disaster. Drew Bledsoe was two inches shorter that Osweiler. And look how big of a target that guy was. It's a real problem. He is almost too big for the NFL. Plus he started 15 games and was average. I hate scummies, but will say this guy is interesting, but not for the Broncos this year.

BowlenBall
03-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I took Osweiler at the top of the 4th round in the Orange Mane Mock Draft (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=103749) this year -- the kid NEEDS to sit behind an experienced QB for a few years, but has all the tools to be great. I'd love for Denver to grab him in the 3rd, wouldn't want him with our 2nd rounder, though...

With the 100th pick in the 2012 OM Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select:

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona State

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--VUU2-wI8pA/T0IonA8-ZNI/AAAAAAAABLU/ObVcS19Bdg0/s1600/Osweiler.jpg

Height: 6' 06 7/8"
Weight: 242
40 time: 4.85 (estimated)

Player evaluation from PFW's 2012 Draft Preview (http://pfwstore.com/topfavorites.html):

Positives:
Excellent height to see the field. Has a live arm and can deliver the ball in rhythm downfield and throw darts to short-to-intermediate stationary targets. Showed improved poise as the season wore on and clearly has room to grow. Can avoid the first wave and elude the rush. Can roll and sprint out and make some plays outside the pocket. Highly competitive and it shows. Fiery on-field playing temperament. Commands respect in the huddle. Confident, charismatic, vocal leader.

Negatives:
Limited playing experience -- only a one-year starter. Elbows and knees tend to jut given body length - creates wasted motion in his delivery. Winds to chuck it and tends to push the ball short -- inconsistent release point and mechanics. Erratic placement and accuracy -- throws some dirtballs and sprays the ball. Can do a better job changing ball speeds. Very raw scan-progression decision maker -- tends to lock on to primary targets and force the ball. Average eyes and instincts. Narrow field vision -- does not see open receivers. Pocket presence is still developing -- both vacates early and does not feel quick pressure. Tends to panic. Needs to improve blitz recognition and coverage awareness.

Summary:
An intriguing developmental prospect sorely in need of more seasoning, Osweiler would benefit most from a few years of nurturing where he could advance his understanding of the game. However, he possesses the movement skill and arm talent to emerge as an eventual starter in a vertical passing attach with continued refinement and can be drafted more highly than he grades on tape because of his upside.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H5G6B-snaSM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Houshyamama
03-30-2012, 07:08 PM
if we take on the third day not an issue..

that means 5th or later..

if he is around that long go for it..

any pick after about the 120th pick and makes the team is pure gravy..

From all I have heard about this kid is ne is a 2-3 year project.. Might be worth setting behind Manning..

LOL

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 07:08 PM
This highlight video shows him playing out of shotgun.every.single.throw.

OrangeSe7en
03-30-2012, 10:52 PM
um...what? That is a very poor comparison. I'm not saying that Osweiler is going to be good or anything....but they aren't very copies at all. Osweiler is a damn good athlete, Drew was a statue.

And Drew Bledsoe actually accomplished something in the NFL.

ZONA
03-30-2012, 11:40 PM
If any thing, I have more questions regarding your ability to assess arm strength then I do of Osweiler's arm strength!!!

First off, anything is 1 word. Second of all, why did you post 5 times in a row instead of putting everything in 1 reply.

Baba Booey
03-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Subhuman accuracy

Wes Mantooth
03-31-2012, 12:23 AM

He won alot of games and almost won a SB. Define "suck" please.

cabronco
03-31-2012, 01:19 AM
After watching him in a few games last year, I liked what I saw. He had a deceivingly good arm throwing out patterns( for lack of better term ) deeep downfield that were spot on. For a tall lanky guy, he gets the ball out quick. Talk about being able to see downfield, the dude's a giraffe. The only neg I can think of is he was out of the shotgun alot , the games I saw. I woudlnt mind him at all, but not sure he's 1st or 2nd round pick. I think we have other positions of need, w/ early rounds than qb.

ZONA
03-31-2012, 02:28 AM
We all know he is a pure project QB right now. He's been trying to correct his throwing motion so it's more over the top but that's not a huge deal to me. Rivers doesn't throw right over the top and he's pretty damn good. He does have a quick release for a long arm, that's a plus in the NFL for sure. Obviously he's got the height and he's athletic and those are great NFL traits.

But threw from Shotgun alot, a 1 year starter and doesn't go through progressions at all but you don't expect him to have all that going being a 1 year starter.

Huge upside yes but a major risk for the 2nd round when you have Peyton Manning and maybe for only 2 or 3 years so that 2nd round pick could go towards a position to be on the field with Manning rather then a bench guy for the next 3 years. But on the flip side, you do want to get somebody with huge upside you can start to groom behind Peyton. I just think the 2nd is a tad too high. If he's there in the 3rd, or somebody like Foles, I could live with that.

Broncobiv
03-31-2012, 02:34 AM
So we traded Tebow for a 4th, but we are possibly willing to spend a 2nd or 3rd on a guy who is even more of a project than Tebow?

Makes sense to me!

Broncos_OTM
03-31-2012, 02:46 AM

Dan McGuire?

BowlenBall
03-31-2012, 04:16 AM
ASU's Osweiler receives draft green room invite (http://arizonasports.com/44/1522333/ASUs-Osweiler-receives-draft-green-room-invite)

Interesting....

BroncoBeavis
03-31-2012, 05:23 AM
So we traded Tebow for a 4th, but we are possibly willing to spend a 2nd or 3rd on a guy who is even more of a project than Tebow?

Makes sense to me!

But virtually no fans to worry about. Tebow's problem was having fans. :)

Tombstone RJ
03-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Osweiler is a project just like TT and both are spread offense QBs. Neither should have been or (should be) drafted in the first round.

Lestat
03-31-2012, 08:51 AM
it always happens, some dumb team gets enamored with a QB project and they way overdraft him, hang the hopes of their franchise on him and then are shocked that their 2nd or 3rd round talent didn't turn into a franchise QB.

Osweiler is a clear project and based upon value should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Hamrob
03-31-2012, 09:02 AM
So, Casserly responded to Brandt, saying that 8 of 9 scouts have Osweiler as a 4th round talent. The 9th had him in the 2nd.

It would be nice to bring in a kid to groom behind Manning. If he's their in the 4th, I'd be excited if we took him. I'm thinking Elway may like this kid. Osweiler played in JC ball in Montana, had a scolarship to play basketball at Gonzaga and transfered to ASU. Elway, spent some time as a kid growing up in Montana, he was drafted in MLB and also played in the PAC 10/12. Additionally, Elway's son tried to play QB at ASU. Elway has personally scouted Osweiler.

I would not be surprised if we go after this kid.

Lestat
03-31-2012, 09:09 AM
i'm a fan of drafting Osweiler, as long as it's in the 2nd or later. his ceiling is as high as Mallett's last season. but he's more of a bust potential type.

i want no part of drafting him in the 1st round and i doubt we take a QB that high unless Tannehill falls(which he won't)

Hamrob
03-31-2012, 09:13 AM
I'll tell you what....I'd draft that #4 from ASU (from the tape) in a heart beat. That kid is a stud...he'd be great in the slot.

Tombstone RJ
03-31-2012, 09:18 AM
If Osweiler drops to the 4th then I'd have no problem with the Broncos drafting him, as a 3 year project. Otherwise, no thanks.

Heyneck
03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
He won alot of games and almost won a SB. Define "suck" please.

I am sorry... but Bledsoe sucked. Yes he had a lot of yards... and almost won a superbowl, but so did Rex Grossman...

He was a #1 overall pick!!! Under achieved!! Yes... he had a ton of yards but his TD-INT was weak (251-206), his passer rating 77.1 was below average. Now for the... he won a lot... not buying it. Yes he won 98 wins (in 14 years)... but he also loss 95.

I am sorry...again... but Bledsoe sucked... and If he was still playing and in his prime, I would not want him to be the QB of my team.

He could throw for a bunch of yards.... but as history has showed us... that just doesn't get it done.

Heyneck
03-31-2012, 10:25 AM
BS, Osweiler is an athelete...he can run, in fact he throws excellent on the run. The only thing that is like Bledsoe is his size.

Ok... I'll give you that... Osweiler is more of an athelete. But his is still a statue because he take way...wayyyy... too many sacks.

And for all of you talking about him being a second rounder... where did that come from??? Just because Gil Brandt said he looks like a 1st rounder??? please...

Here... found this article this morning. The bold parts describe Bledsoe to the tee.

After Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler worked out for scouts on Friday, we passed along the opinion of longtime NFL personnel man Gil Brandt, who said Osweiler now looks like a first-round draft pick.

Another longtime personnel man, Charley Casserly, strongly disagrees — and says that almost every team he has talked to views Osweiler as a fourth-round prospect.

Asked on NFL Network about Brandt’s first-round assessment, Casserly seemed taken aback by it.

“I’m not sure what that means, to be honest with you,” Casserly said of Brandt’s first-round projection. “I haven’t studied this guy yet but I interviewed nine teams about him. Eight of them had him rated in the fourth round. The workout doesn’t change the rating on the tape. The other team had him rated in the second. Issues about the guy concerning decision making, accuracy, takes too many sacks, questionable instincts. All of those things, to me, are things you see on tape, not in the workout. I’m going to take what those teams said and stick with that.”

NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi agreed with that, noting that Osweiler was only a one-year starter at Arizona State. Lombardi took issue with Brandt’s assessment as well.

“I don’t think you could ever, possibly, consider him a first-round talent,” Lombardi said.

Osweiler surprised a lot of people by entering the NFL draft this year, and the chances of him going in the first round seem remote. Then again, Osweiler has the physical tools (he’s 6-foot-7 and a good enough athlete that he accepted a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga before deciding he’d rather play football), and all it takes is one team to fall in love with him for him to go in the first round.

Most of the time we have a pretty good idea before the draft who the first-round quarterbacks are, but sometimes there are first-round surprises like Jason Campbell, J.P. Losman and Patrick Ramsey. Osweiler going in the first round would be as big a surprise as any of them.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/31/in-survey-of-nine-teams-eight-call-osweiler-a-fourth-round-prospect/

barryr
03-31-2012, 10:28 AM
ASU has a RB Marshall who will be a senior next year and I think he will be very good and a high type draft choice next year.

elsid13
03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Rather have BJ Coleman.

From: http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/b-j-coleman-19/

"A highly demanding, smart, driven competitor with perfectionist tendencies. Is wired for the game but needs to learn how to let it rip and learn to trust his instincts to find success against much better competition at the pro level. "

Needs time to learn the pro game, but I have feeling that he would far better development QB then Osweiler

Punisher
03-31-2012, 12:27 PM
ASU's Osweiler receives draft green room invite (http://arizonasports.com/44/1522333/ASUs-Osweiler-receives-draft-green-room-invite)

Interesting....

Ew that's gonna be ugly if he ends up in the 3rd round

Broncoman13
03-31-2012, 12:58 PM
First off, anything is 1 word. Second of all, why did you post 5 times in a row instead of putting everything in 1 reply.

Nice response. I was on the road and responding with my iPad, not a super user at this point so yeah, there may be a couple grammar/spelling errors while posting from my iPad or smartphone. And I didn't plan on having 5 responses, but everyone of the scouting reports I pulled up just kept on proving you wrong... the only reason I didn't post more is b/c I needed to get going. The point remains, anything you say regarding Osweiler's arm strength should be taken with a grain of salt.

Broncoman13
03-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Rather have BJ Coleman.

From: http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/b-j-coleman-19/

"A highly demanding, smart, driven competitor with perfectionist tendencies. Is wired for the game but needs to learn how to let it rip and learn to trust his instincts to find success against much better competition at the pro level. "

Needs time to learn the pro game, but I have feeling that he would far better development QB then Osweiler

Cecil Lammey had him in the Broncos Mock Draft in the 4th or 5th round (4th I think). Very interesting prospect that could have the same high upside as Osweiler without having to over draft him due to hype (I.e pick #25).

I agree with the folks that are saying it would be a better use of draft picks to surround Manning with instant talent, but if Osweiler were available in the 2nd, he would be hard to pass up.

Last thing regarding the Green Room Invite. They said last year that they would invite players who they felt would go high in the 2nd round as well. Mainly b/c they would to get the phone calls and responses of players live for ratings purposes. So just b/c he is getting an invite doesn't mean he is expected to go in the first by the NFL... but it does mean they expect him to be gone in the first two rounds.

schaaf
03-31-2012, 01:08 PM
As someone that knows Brock personally I do not want us to draft him, let him go somewhere else

Broncoman13
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
As someone that knows Brock personally I do not want us to draft him, let him go somewhere else

Character issues?

schaaf
03-31-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, lack of work ethic, attitude, he's never had to work for anything, known him for 9 years take it or leave it

razorwire77
03-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Any team that spends more than a 4th rounder on Osweiler is ****ing crazy.

Broncoman13
03-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, lack of work ethic, attitude, he's never had to work for anything, known him for 9 years take it or leave it

Interesting... I'll take it.

Warming up to the Coleman kid more and more.

TonyR
04-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Oswelier has been addressing his mechanics since the end of the college season.

“It’s more over-the-top now,” Osweiler said of a revamped throwing motion. “I was kind of always dragging my elbow when I was playing here at ASU, and we really wanted to utilize my full 6-7 frame, or whatever it is, and make sure the arm and delivery is over-the-top.”

Osweiler, who seems like a third-round talent to me, will go on multiple private workouts for several NFL franchises including the Dolphins.

“I’m meeting with the Chiefs and the Broncos next week and I’m taking trips to Miami and Buffalo and a few other places,” he said.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/03/dolphins-attend-osweiler-pro-day-plus-private-workout-coming.html

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of a 6-7 quarterback to develop behind Peyton Manning.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/broncos-getting-intimate-with-brock-osweiler

DENVERDUI55
04-02-2012, 12:36 PM
At the end of the day.........

Tombstone RJ
04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
If they want to "develop" a QB behind Manning I guess Osweiler is a good choice. However, when do you draft this kid when you have so many other needs to address, especially on dline?

I'm not seeing it. Only if Osweiler falls ala Mallet where the value is just too good to pass up but I seriously doubt this happens.

lolcopter
04-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Makes sense to me!

lol

this du can pass already

maher_tyler
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd rather take Foles

Heyneck
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Say what you want about his height... but taking Kellen Moore in the 5th or 6th would be great!

bendog
04-02-2012, 02:01 PM
It's an interesting thought, but in the last ten years, besides Brady Brees and Brad Johnson (go figure) all championship teams have first round qb's. Brady really skews the record too. Brees is great, and I love the guy, but his skill is more that he makes post snap reads faster than anyone. He's accurate, but he never had a huge cannon.

I've said all along that people who think Elway can't judge qb talent have their heads up their asses, so if EFX really thinks this is the way to go, rather than riding Peyton till he collapses, and they have take the saddle and drag themselves to a draft and pay three first rounders ... ok.

MileHighMagic
04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Cool name.

Dedhed
04-02-2012, 02:20 PM
I like Osweiler better than a lot of the QBs in this draft, but I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 3rd on him.

Lestat
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
if we can get him in the 3rd it'd be silly value.