PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins/Thomas

MABroncoFan
03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Brandon Spano Show‏@BrandonSpanoReply

As far as Marcus Thomas, it does not look like he will be coming back. I know the Broncos really tried to get a deal done though.

No, from what I understand, Dawkins will not be coming back RT @303MP: @BrandonSpano No bringing Dawkins back?

MABroncoFan
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM

The Broncos are done in free agency and will not look to sign anymore players. All other pieces will be added through the draft.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 11:02 AM

The Broncos are done in free agency and will not look to sign anymore players. All other pieces will be added through the draft.
Yikes. Kinda in a position to reach for DTs if that's true.

cmhargrove
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Mixed feelings about this, but both positions definitely needed to be upgraded. The unemotional analysis here says this is great for the team - but I will miss Dawkins.

Thomas was just a body, he will never be more than a journeyman player, and we have enough of those.

Taco John
03-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Gonna miss Dawkins. He was an easy guy to fall in love with, and I envy the Eagles fans for the time they got from the guy.

oubronco
03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Yikes. Kinda in a position to reach for DTs if that's true.

There must be a few they really like

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
There must be a few they really like

I guess, but it puts you in a position where you have to take a DT even if there's a better player at another position. Our current DTs are an annual underachiever and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.

HILife
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Wow, losing both the starting DT. We're F'ed. Really going to miss Dawkins, he was the heart of that Defense.

oubronco
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I guess, but it puts you in a position where you have to take a DT even if there's a better player at another position. Our current DTs are an annual underachiever and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years.

It's fuggin sickening that it has come to this point

Dexter
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
There is no way we're completely done in Free Agency. We may not sign anymore players until after the draft, but we will be adding a few more pieces as camp bodies at the very least.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
It's fuggin sickening that it has come to this point

It really is pretty gross. We literally don't have a single legitimate DT on the roster right now.

chickennob2
03-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Mixed feelings about this, but both positions definitely needed to be upgraded. The unemotional analysis here says this is great for the team - but I will miss Dawkins.

Thomas was just a body, he will never be more than a journeyman player, and we have enough of those.

That is completely false. We very clearly don't have enough journeyman players at DT. We have:

Vickerson, Kevin - Journeyman. 44 games, 16 starts in 7 seasons
McBean, Ryan - Suspended Journeyman. 47 games, 21 starts in 4 seasons (suspended for 6 games)
Jarmon, Jeremy - Sub-journeyman. 16 games, 1 start in 3 seasons
Warren, Ty - Injured journeyman. 105 games, 92 starts in 9 seasons (hasn't played in 2 years)
Unrein, Mitch - Sub-journeyman. 14 games, 0 starts in 2 seasons
Siliga, Sealver - Undrafted in 2011 as an early entrant, didn't make it out of training camp with Houston

So that's 4 DTs on the roster with even a single NFL start to their name. If your threshold is 2 NFL starts, we're down to 3 players. Of those 3, one is suspended for the first six games next season, and one hasn't played in two seasons due to injury. That leaves one player who can realistically be expected to contribute at DT on opening day. We play two DTs on the field at a time.

You're damn right I'd take Marcus Thomas back. Is he a journeyman-level talent? YES! But that's still a hell of a lot better that what we currently have on the roster.

We're realllllly exposing ourselves to a lot of risk if things don't fall right on draft day.

oubronco
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
It really is pretty gross. We literally don't have a single legitimate DT on the roster right now.

There are definitely some intriqing DT's in the draft but i'm with you having to reach for them when they have so many other needs is depressing

Maybe they are going to wait for final cuts before the season..........UGH

MABroncoFan
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd like to see them add Okoye or Derek Landri. Or even Sammie Lee Hill of the Lions as a RFA - would cost one of our 4th rounders.

oubronco
03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I'd like to see them add Okoye or Derek Landri. Or even Sammie Lee Hill of the Lions as a RFA - would cost one of our 4th rounders.

Hill would be worth a 4th

Drek
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Hill would be worth a 4th

Especially since as of now that tender only earns him $1.26M. Probably wouldn't take too huge an offer to get him on board and force the Lions into matching or letting him go.

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Spano is forgetting one key method we like to use to acquire DTs. Trades. Most of our 2011 DTs came via trade. I expect more of the same this year.

We are NOT limited to just the draft.

MABroncoFan
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM

No RT @ferruccij: @BrandonSpano Broncos won't pursue Amobi Okoye?

Frosty78
03-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Spano also said the Broncos wouldn't hesitate to sign a great bargain player. I think he means we are basically done chasing players and tossing out large contracts. I figure well still sign a DT or two.

TonyR
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't see how they could possibly not bring in at least one FA DT. That would be ridic, particularly since Fox said just this week:

"We've got some holes, in particular at defensive tackle," Broncos coach John Fox said Tuesday at the AFC coaches breakfast with the media.

Read more: Denver Broncos still have holes to fill at defensive tackle - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20270470/denver-broncos-still-have-holes-fill-at-defensive#ixzz1qcipbw9h
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

barryr
03-30-2012, 11:59 AM
So bargain basement types at DT and the draft for DT? Well, now I really advocate trading down and getting some extra picks and draft a DT in the 2nd and 3rd round. The DT's there will be just as good, if not better, than the ones taken in the bottom of the 1st IMO. Unless Flether Cox somehow lasts to #25, then I would take him.

theAPAOps5
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
It's Brandon Spano, forgive me if I am not taking his word for it.....

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
This draft has a lot more talented DTs than last year. At 25 there should be a decent DT. Now Xander's could still use that pick on an irrelevant position like he has in the past

TerrElway
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Let's see, the Broncos NEED DT's. Agents of DT's know how bad the Broncos need DTs.

The Broncos still have a decent sum of money to play with (depending on which reports you believe).

That means they could call a DT with no arms and legs and his agent would set the bidding price at 5 years $9 million per or they aren't even going to talk.

I guess that is just how bad the remaining DTs are if people are wringing their hands at losing Marcus Thomas.

Smilin Assassin
03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
It's Brandon Spano, forgive me if I am not taking his word for it.....

This^

HooptyHoops
03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Yep, these are the two that seem pretty obvious to me....both would come in cheap and give us some much needed game experience!!

barryr
03-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Landri is a strong possibility since he played for both Carolina and the Jags, so Fox and DR should know him well, but he's pretty undersized and I would hope they would still worry about DT's in the draft. I think the Broncos could use that 4th round pick on someone just as good as Hill, if not better.

HooptyHoops
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
That is completely false. We very clearly don't have enough journeyman players at DT. We have:

McBean, Ryan - Suspended Journeyman. 47 games, 21 starts in 4 seasons (suspended for 6 games)
Warren, Ty - Injured journeyman. 105 games, 92 starts in 9 seasons (hasn't played in 2 years)
Siliga, Sealver - Undrafted in 2011 as an early entrant, didn't make it out of training camp with Houston

So that's 4 DTs on the roster with even a single NFL start to their name. If your threshold is 2 NFL starts, we're down to 3 players. Of those 3, one is suspended for the first six games next season, and one hasn't played in two seasons due to injury. That leaves one player who can realistically be expected to contribute at DT on opening day. We play two DTs on the field at a time.

You're damn right I'd take Marcus Thomas back. Is he a journeyman-level talent? YES! But that's still a hell of a lot better that what we currently have on the roster.

We're realllllly exposing ourselves to a lot of risk if things don't fall right on draft day.

This is just pathetic...I knew it was bad, but seeing it written down....pure yuck!!

TonyR
03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Thomas wants to be a Bronco, but the Broncos don't appear to be terribly interested...

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/marcus-thomas-twitter-feed-indicates-he-wants-to-sign-with-broncos-like-yes

kappys
03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Its not just the Broncos - the big money and multi-year contracts for this years FA class are pretty much done. Most teams will now look to the draft and then supplement with signing low to moderate cost 1-2 year deals for most the FA's on the market. I don't see a big risk that the remaining DT's(who are all basically mediocre journeyman players) will all get snapped up before Denver adds one or two. I suspect after the draft we make a move for a couple of these guys on the cheap.

Jetmeck
03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
For christ sake has anybody thought about this. We have not yet addressed all the major holes on this team with even what could remotely be considered top tier talent but one and he could go down quickly......if so we will back in the basement of the west.

We should have built this team for the long haul instead of possibly chasing fool's gold.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM

I seriously doubt spano knows what the Broncos front office intends to do in the next 6 months. This may or may not be true. If it is true that means the Broncos will have to be pro-active in the draft and move around via trades to insure they get the players they want.

Why would the Broncos show every other team their hand at this point?

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Thomas should be signed for this one play. Broncos should give him a one year deal like Mays for this bad boy play:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vDzt-pw1QJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oubronco
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
LOL

Gcver2ver3
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
i see Spano mentioned FA and draft, but not trades...

i'd like to see us trade for DT help...

also i'm not too upset about marcus thomas... he can be replaced with a mid round pick in the draft as far as i'm concerned...

the bunkley signing did sting a little though...

cmhargrove
03-30-2012, 02:56 PM

I do understand your point, and I also believe that you have to have a certain number of "journeyman players" even on the best teams. However, we have a coaching staff and head coach that are very well educated defensive coaches, and they don't want Thomas. So, maybe they believe they can plug another DT in there (a player with more upside) and still get us 40 tackles per season.

I say, no big loss. Pick up "x defensive tackle" and give him a shot. Hopefully, our coaches are ready to try for much more than Marcus Thomas, and we just don't know their plan yet. I'm crossing my fingers.

Bacchus
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Denver is going to draft defense. It would not surprise me they draft two DTs in the first three rounds.

Al Wilson
03-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Oh dear god, I was hoping we bring back Brian Dawkins. I hated seeing our secondary and safeties getting burned and run over in the running game. I hope to god our first round pick is going to be on a safety or else we're screwed.

kappys
03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Oh dear god, I was hoping we bring back Brian Dawkins. I hated seeing our secondary and safeties getting burned and run over in the running game. I hope to god our first round pick is going to be on a safety or else we're screwed.

I'd bet the Broncos would be happy to bring Dawkins back but his neck won't let him.

I think we'd be better off getting Yeremiah Bell to fill that role. We simply have to get some tackling presence in the middle or teams are really going to focus in on a short ground and pound attack to keep Manning off the field.

Chris
03-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Denver is going to draft defense. It would not surprise me they draft two DTs in the first three rounds.

Elway is a BPA guy, within reason. I don't know much about the DTs after the middle of round 2... I just hope we don't reach.