PDA

View Full Version : Mega Millions At $640 Million

RhymesayersDU
03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Did you buy a lottery ticket? (Or got into an office pool, etc...)

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
It's at 640 million now.

alkemical
03-30-2012, 10:53 AM
You gotta be in it, to win it!

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
It's an idiot tax, so I'll probably only play 20 tickets.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I find the lottery to be a pretty good gauge of how happy people are with their life, but even I'll take a stab at $640 Million.

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
It's an idiot tax, so I'll probably only play 20 tickets.

LOL.

Taco John
03-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm a sucker for this when it gets up to this level. I'd add a topless waterslide to the Mane if I got that kind of cheddar. You must be this topless to ride this ride:

cmhargrove
03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
It's all mine suckers! Keep pumping your cash in, I need some help with the taxes...

RhymesayersDU
03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah normally I don't play the lottery on a regular basis, but it's ridiculously high and we're doing an office pool so I jumped in on it. A coworker put it best: "if the unthinkable happens, I don't want to be the only schmuck here on Monday."

Houshyamama
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I've never played the lotto but 640M is a lot of mula. Can I still get a ticket? When's the drawing?

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm honestly hoping for no winners tonight. I wanna see this bastage get up to $1 billion next week. That would be pure insanity.

24champ
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I'll drive a Bentley with California plates that say "sauced" if I win the mega millions.

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I've never played the lotto but 640M is a lot of mula. Can I still get a ticket? When's the drawing?

tonight at 11:24PM eastern

you can buy tix up until at least an hour or so before the drawing.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
You gotta, at least, take a shot. Whats a few bucks.

24champ
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I also want to add....I'd do two chicks at the same time.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kwo071qoWY1qz7wfjo1_500.jpg

Houshyamama
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
tonight at 11:24PM eastern

you can buy tix up until at least an hour or so before the drawing.

Thanks

Taco John
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Hmmm.... Imagine a waterslide that required you to take an hour long elevator ride.

Gort
03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
I find the lottery to be a pretty good gauge of how happy people are with their life, but even I'll take a stab at $640 Million.

this. at this amount, you pretty much have to throw a couple of bucks into the pot. imagine if nobody wins today, we could see a $1B jackpot by next week.

if i win, i'm going to change my username to "Simon" and start posting in the 3rd person.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Champ baileys number was the mega last time. 24. This time it will be 18.

HILife
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm honestly hoping for no winners tonight. I wanna see this bastage get up to $1 billion next week. That would be pure insanity.

That would be crazy. After taxes that should at least leave you with enough to buy a new car.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
After taxes that should at least leave you with enough to buy a new car...

...every week for the rest of your life.

That would be fun. Drive a new bentley for a week, and then just hand the keys to a passerby "It's yours, have fun".

Pick Six
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
I'll drive a Bentley with California plates that say "sauced" if I win the mega millions.

LOL Cross-thread humor is the best...ROFL!

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
...every week for the rest of your life.

That would be fun. Drive a new bentley for a week, and then just hand the keys to a passerby "It's yours, have fun".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wJ6d_EE0Kao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24champ
03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wJ6d_EE0Kao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Ha! That reminds me. I'd also make movies and just cast all my friends to star in it.

I'd definitely do one featuring a cast of OMers.

Gort
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Ha! That reminds me. I'd also make movies and just cast all my friends to star in it.

I'd definitely do one featuring a cast of OMers.

TGN and Idiot Arachnid for "Dumb & Dumber, Part III"
MacGruder for a re-make of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
MacGruder for a re-make of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

I was thinking of Mac for the lead in a "Fatal Attraction" re-make.

Drunk Monkey
03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
If I...... When I win I am going to buy a vacation home in Vail and a nice apartment in downtown Denver to pass out in after I watch EVERY SINGLE GAME IN PERSON UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
I'd turn (back) into Billy Madison.

*WARHORSE*
03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Where do I buy tickets?

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Where do I buy tickets?

Fly to the mainland. Hawaii is one of the few states that doesn't participate.

*WARHORSE*
03-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Fly to the mainland. Hawaii is one of the few states that doesn't participate.

Have to be a resident or sumthing?

Carmelo15
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Maybe I'll see if Elway wants to go half with me on owning an NFL franchise. Gutless drunk hand over the keys...

Tom G
03-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Got to do it. I mean, we're talking a years salary here!

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Have to be a resident or sumthing?

Nope. People from non-participating states can "cross the border" and buy from locations in participating states. You don't have to be an actual resident.

gunns
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Just bought 50 that are good for 10 draws. C'mon, mama wants to buy the Broncos!

3 of my kids just bought 30 each and mama gets to retire if one of them wins too! Ahhh, to dream.

rideco
03-30-2012, 01:06 PM
If I...... When I win I am going to buy a vacation home in Vail and a nice apartment in downtown Denver to pass out in after I watch EVERY SINGLE GAME IN PERSON UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

Yea plus box seats to Avs and nuggets. Also dont forget that missile silo just east of Denver in case you need to disappear for a while.

55CrushEm
03-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Hmmm.... Imagine a waterslide that required you to take an hour long elevator ride.

OBF1
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Let's see.....

I have a job... Check

I am mostly white... Check

I speak english... Check

I am under 60 years old... Check

I have zero chance of winning, saving my money. Good luck to those that play.

spdirty
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
The odds of winning are 1 and 172 million. They expect to sell over a billion tickets. So by that is it expected that there could be up to 5 winners?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Whats the cash payout on this thing anyway? 400?

spdirty
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Whats the cash payout on this thing anyway? 400?

462 before taxes.

oubronco
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM

LOL That's some funny chit right there

Chris
03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Vail's boring. I'd buy Tesla's house in Telluride.

Beantown Bronco
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
The odds of winning are 1 and 172 million. They expect to sell over a billion tickets. So by that is it expected that there could be up to 5 winners?

Ummmm, sure, if they didn't allow duplicate sales.....since they do, there could easily be no winner or 10+ different winners.

55CrushEm
03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
If I win....I'll by season tickets to the Broncos for 10 O'Maners.........for 5 years.

:sunshine:

cutthemdown
03-30-2012, 03:32 PM
If I win I give 1 million to the Mane to use for tailgating for all time!

Chris
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
If I win I will hire Meck to make a broncos airbus a380 for the mane.

cutthemdown
03-30-2012, 03:42 PM
If I win I will hire Meck to make a broncos airbus a380 for the mane.

For sure I would be buying a few luxury boxes at the stadium! But even being rich won't get me into one of those flying death traps. Can planes that big be a good idea lol!

Chris
03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
For sure I would be buying a few luxury boxes at the stadium! But even being rich won't get me into one of those flying death traps. Can planes that big be a good idea lol!

No and I'm not being xenophobic by saying I don't particularly trust airbus either (automated controls, not because they're french).

Still... it's big enough for someone to ride thunder up and down the cabin. Steven at mission control. Old dude as pilot. Baja for spiritual guidance. Bowtown waterskiing off the back. Macgruder on toilet duty. Perfect.

mkporter
03-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Champ baileys number was the mega last time. 24. This time it will be 18.

Perfect. That's my mega number.

24champ
03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
462 before taxes.

I believe you can get a lump sum for 320 million after taxes.

Mr.Meanie
03-30-2012, 04:31 PM
I think anyone who won that kind of scratch would have a horrible life. Everyone in your immediate and extended family would outright expect millions of dollars, not to mention every old girlfriend, cousin, acquaintance or anyone you have ever met really. Your face would be internationally recognized and people would line up with their hands out.

Not to mention, anyone who has earned their fortune the old fashioned way would look down their noses at you and whisper behind your back in your new country club. Anyone remember reading about Jack Whittaker, the already successful millionaire who won the last mega millions jackpot and it blew up his life?

I don't believe in karma or any sort of silly superstition, but I do believe people who get that kind of public windfall generally end up miserable and regret it.

Chris
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I think anyone who won that kind of scratch would have a horrible life. Everyone in your immediate and extended family would outright expect millions of dollars, not to mention every old girlfriend, cousin, acquaintance or anyone you have ever met really. Your face would be internationally recognized and people would line up with their hands out.

Not to mention, anyone who has earned their fortune the old fashioned way would look down their noses at you and whisper behind your back in your new country club. Anyone remember reading about Jack Whittaker, the already successful millionaire who won the last mega millions jackpot and it blew up his life?

I don't believe in karma or any sort of silly superstition, but I do believe people who get that kind of public windfall generally end up miserable and regret it.

Takes a smart person to handle that kind of money. For one thing, you get someone else to collect for you!

SpringStein
03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Takes a smart person to handle that kind of money. For one thing, you get someone else to collect for you!

I'll offer to help out for a measly 1% fee. :)

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM

I think this is pretty cynical. Sure, there would be people asking for handouts, but you could take care of yourself, your family, and your closest friends for life. In addition, you could quit your job, start your own business, and pretty much do anything you ever wanted to ever do. My God, would I travel.

As far as being "internationally recognized," I couldnt tell you one lottery winner, and, considering there are several, the one you mention is anecdotal. A lot of it has to do with your temperment, and its probably not for everyone, but I'd take my chances with 365 mil instead of coming to work and sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day

Dendave
03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
If you win call a lawyer before you claim the money, they will explain to you that you can't just give the money away at your leisure, as everyone thinks, I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can only give $10,000 to each individual per year.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
If you win call a lawyer before you claim the money, they will explain to you that you can't just give the money away at your leisure, as everyone thinks, I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can only give $10,000 to each individual per year.

really? why?

DBroncos4life
03-30-2012, 05:21 PM
really? why?

It might mess them up on taxes cause of the gift tax or estate tax.

SpringStein
03-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Last I knew (2009) it was $13,000. After that the recipient has to pay taxes. It's best to keep it under that - say $12,000 - and then if you buy them a Christmas or birthday gift you don't go beyond that threshold.

DBroncos4life
03-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Last I knew (2009) it was $13,000. After that the recipient has to pay taxes. It's best to keep it under that - say $12,000 - and then if you buy them a Christmas or birthday gift you don't go beyond that threshold.

That's what I found when I checked it out as well.

USAFBronco
03-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Great article in Forbes today about what to do if you win the lottery.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/02/11/10-things-to-do-when-you-win-the-powerball/

Explains how to collect anonymously, tax rates, gifts etc...

I'll take a measly .01% if you win for my troubles of finding the link :)

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Great article in Forbes today about what to do if you win the lottery.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2012/02/11/10-things-to-do-when-you-win-the-powerball/

Explains how to collect anonymously, tax rates, gifts etc...

I'll take a measly .01% if you win for my troubles of finding the link :)

If i were ever to win something like this, im not waiting 6 months to buy one nice thing.

Gort
03-30-2012, 06:10 PM
really? why?

you can only give away $10K per year to a recipient before that recipient has to pay taxes on it. you can only give away $1M in your lifetime before you have to pay a 45% (IIRC) gift tax. it's the government's way of preventing wealthy people from distributing assets prior to death in order to avoid the estate tax. keep in mind, this is money you've already been taxed on, yet the government expects to get additional tax revenues on that same money. the government is too big and too greedy.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 06:14 PM
If i were ever to win something like this, im not waiting 6 months to buy one nice thing.

For the first six months after you win the lottery, donít do anything drastic, like quitting your job, buying a McMansion, or trading up for a luxury car.

LOL If I win $300 million, I'm not going to buy a ****ing McMansion, nor will I "trade up" for a luxury car.

Gort
03-30-2012, 06:15 PM

the smartest thing you can do is tell nobody, contact a tax/estate attorney, set up a revocable trust to claim the money, wait for the legal filings and paperwork to be completed, and then claim the prize anonymously with the trust as beneficiary.

do whatever it takes to keep your identity secret because not only will charities and family and friends start hitting you up, but dozens and dozens of sleazy lawyers will come out of the woodwork filing lawsuits against you in an effort to separate you from that money. they can't do that if they don't know you won. so don't tell anyone and take all possible legal precautions. once you have the money and it's protected, you can help out your family anonymously. in the meantime, don't buy anything. keep going about your usual routine. don't let on anyone that you won. just do what you would do normally.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 06:17 PM
the smartest thing you can do is tell nobody, contact a tax/estate attorney, set up a revocable trust to claim the money, wait for the legal filings and paperwork to be completed, and then claim the prize anonymously with the trust as beneficiary.

do whatever it takes to keep your identity secret because not only will charities and family and friends start hitting you up, but dozens and dozens of sleazy lawyers will come out of the woodwork filing lawsuits against you in an effort to separate you from that money. they can't do that if they don't know you won. so don't tell anyone and take all possible legal precautions. once you have the money and it's protected, you can help out your family anonymously. in the meantime, don't buy anything. keep going about your usual routine. don't let on anyone that you won. just do what you would do normally.

Never heard this one before. What grounds does a lawyer I've never met before have to sue me for money I didn't have before I won the lottery?

USAFBronco
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Never heard this one before. What grounds does a lawyer I've never met before have to sue me for money I didn't have before I won the lottery?

People will be lining up in front of your car hoping you run them over.

You look down to check your cellphone while driving? They hit their brakes. etc...

Gort
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM

well, all anyone has to do is go to your home, slip on your property, and claim they are paralyzed. happens all the time. they are not suing you on the grounds that you have money, they are suing on any grounds they can find because you have money.

USAFBronco
03-30-2012, 06:23 PM
you can only give away $10K per year to a recipient before that recipient has to pay taxes on it. you can only give away $1M in your lifetime before you have to pay a 45% (IIRC) gift tax. it's the government's way of preventing wealthy people from distributing assets prior to death in order to avoid the estate tax. keep in mind, this is money you've already been taxed on, yet the government expects to get additional tax revenues on that same money. the government is too big and too greedy.

5M this year, will potentially revert to 1M at the end of the year.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 06:25 PM

I believe in CA, you have to divulge a name and area...i have no clue why, it seems stupid

houghtam
03-30-2012, 06:27 PM
People will be lining up in front of your car hoping you run them over.

You look down to check your cellphone while driving? They hit their brakes. etc...

So let me get this straight, small time lawyers make a living by hiring people to find out where people who just won the lottery live, and tail them waiting for them to answer their phone while driving and then rear end them?

I'm not saying it was aliens, but...

houghtam
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I believe in CA, you have to divulge a name and area...i have no clue why, it seems stupid

I would imagine that's a pretty good way of keeping people from claiming the lottery is a scam that never gets paid out.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-30-2012, 06:29 PM

The reason i love this post so much is because its as if you're talking to me like I've already won it.

I love it.

WolfpackGuy
03-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I got mines.

Here's to becoming rich white trash!

onbohio
03-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Read an article yesterday that in some states they make you go in front of the cameras to accept the check. Thankfully, Ohio is not one of them.

Gort
03-30-2012, 06:32 PM

each state is different, this is why you MUST meet with an attorney who specializes in trusts/estates before signing your ticket. if your ticket is a winner, make several photocopies of both the front and back and then put it in a safe place and tell nobody about it. meet with the lawyer and possibly a CPA. find out what you can do, and how you can claim the prize as anonymously as possible. initiate the plan. meanwhile, keep going about your life as usual and tell nobody. when all the filings are done and the trust(s) are in place and your beneficiary status is in place, then you claim the prize in the name of the trust. this keeps your name out of the paper. in most states, this can be done. in some states, trust filings are public records, but there may be some types of trusts or other strategies that can be employed to keep your name hidden. that's your goal and that's what the lawyer(s) are for. also, make sure to get a good lawyer and if possible, an ethical one (i know that's often hard to find :) ). the lawyer wants to make some money too, so you want to keep him on your side so he doesn't try to screw you and abscond with the money, so you'll want to put him on retainer. you might want to hire another lawyer to watch the first lawyer. don't worry, with this size jackpot, you can afford that. anyway, it can be done and it has been done by other winners and if you do everythign the right way and the smart way, you can minimize taxes while also protecting yourself.

Gort
03-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Read an article yesterday that in some states they make you go in front of the cameras to accept the check. Thankfully, Ohio is not one of them.

that's fine. you can still do it via a trust. the lawyers who are hired to setup and administer the trust are the ones who go before the camera. your name still stays out of the paper. the last thing you want is for your name to become public with every scumbag out there knowing that you have $400M or so in lottery winnings. if that happens, you'll need to turn off your phone and probably end up abandoning your life and changing your name to get away from them. it's not just the friends and family you have to worry about. it's actual criminals as well. God forbid one of them finds where your kids go to school and grabs one of them and demands a $50M ransom. that's the kind of stuff you need to be paranoid about.

ak1971
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I think it would be great to get one of the suites at Mile High...and essentially have such a huge party every week you risk getting thrown out. No photos of guys on TV sitting down in suits..Id love for the camera to pan to my suite to guys doing beer bongs, midgets on the counters etc.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
that's fine. you can still do it via a trust. the lawyers who are hired to setup and administer the trust are the ones who go before the camera. your name still stays out of the paper. the last thing you want is for your name to become public with every scumbag out there knowing that you have $400M or so in lottery winnings. if that happens, you'll need to turn off your phone and probably end up abandoning your life and changing your name to get away from them. it's not just the friends and family you have to worry about. it's actual criminals as well. God forbid one of them finds where your kids go to school and grabs one of them and demands a $50M ransom. that's the kind of stuff you need to be paranoid about.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, but I've never heard of any of that sort of thing, ever. I do however hear about lottery winners all the time who are stupid like pro athletes and get parted with their money through scams and just plain not being able to say no.

Are you speaking from experience here, or are you just ruling people up?

cutthemdown
03-30-2012, 06:53 PM
well, all anyone has to do is go to your home, slip on your property, and claim they are paralyzed. happens all the time. they are not suing you on the grounds that you have money, they are suing on any grounds they can find because you have money.

Um as someone who works in this field, no. For one negligence has to occur. If someone falls down at your place your homeowners policy would be all the could go after, unless you did some dangerous condition.

Its not as easy as people think to win a big personal injury lawsuit. Also you don't claim injuries, a doctor has to document them. The firm i do some work at represents some big time places. Westfield Malls, theaters etc etc. People try and fail to sue all the time for falling down. At a theater you can slip on something and get nothing, you have to prove the theater didn't fulfill its obligation for a safe area. So yeah water left out, unmarked, not cleaned up, someone slips = can probably win the case if your injured.

But you just tripped over your own two feet, where all the other people had no trouble traversing, go ahead and try you will lose in court. I see it every month.

Hell if i won the lottery, this big, i would tell everyone and let them be jealous. Then drive around in a 250 thousand dollar car and still go play my same gigs. LOL money could never change me wanting to play music.

Man i could hire a killer band to back me up with that kind of jack.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Family is the worst. I won a considerable amount playing wheel of fortune slots in Tahoe. Hit the jackpot and soon after had family members harassing. They are worse than criminals.

Some have bad luck after having good luck. But with 600 million? That's some coin

houghtam
03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Um as someone who works in this field, no. For one negligence has to occur. If someone falls down at your place your homeowners policy would be all the could go after, unless you did some dangerous condition.

Its not as easy as people think to win a big personal injury lawsuit. Also you don't claim injuries, a doctor has to document them. The firm i do some work at represents some big time places. Westfield Malls, theaters etc etc. People try and fail to sue all the time for falling down. At a theater you can slip on something and get nothing, you have to prove the theater didn't fulfill its obligation for a safe area. So yeah water left out, unmarked, not cleaned up, someone slips = can probably win the case if your injured.

But you just tripped over your own two feet, where all the other people had no trouble traversing, go ahead and try you will lose in court. I see it every month.

Hell if i won the lottery, this big, i would tell everyone and let them be jealous. Then drive around in a 250 thousand dollar car and still go play my same gigs. LOL money could never change me wanting to play music.

Yeah the theaters I ran, we had four separate incidents where someone tried to get money out of us. One said her son slipped in a field and tore up his knee while the place was under construction, insurance company found he had no right to be where he was. Thrown out. Another one a guy claimed he slipped on popcorn that wasn't cleaned up. They asked him for proof, he said well you didn't clean your theater, we said we did, our word against his, we won. Also had two separate instances of girls opening doors while wearing sandals and the door tearing off their big toenail. Insurance company says that's the risk you run wearing sandals in public, claim got thrown out.

Sorry, I think people suing you is the least of your worries on how to be parted from your millions.

Gort
03-30-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm not trying to sound like a dick here, but I've never heard of any of that sort of thing, ever. I do however hear about lottery winners all the time who are stupid like pro athletes and get parted with their money through scams and just plain not being able to say no.

Are you speaking from experience here, or are you just ruling people up?

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/lottery-winners/

houghtam
03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/lottery-winners/

Sorry I don't go to that website for personal reasons. Recap?

Gort
03-30-2012, 07:08 PM

so what if the likelihood of a legal verdict in their favor is not high? they can still try. you'll have to pay lawyers to defend yourself. corporations are constantly hit with suits like this because the shady lawyers know that corporations would rather settle than face a prolonged legal battle.

if you want a team of lawyers on retainer to devour your winnings by constantly defending yourself against frivolous suits, be my guest.

Gort
03-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Sorry I don't go to that website for personal reasons. Recap?

a list of lottery winners who've had troubles with the law since winning the lottery. some of it their own fault of course (alcoholics who win lotteries are asking for trouble), but some also killed themselves, and a couple were murdered.

pro athletes now routinely carry firearms to protect themselves. they know they are targets. a lottery winner worth many times what those athletes are faces the same problems.

people need to be aware that alot of money brings its own risks, that's all i'm saying. if somebody on the OM wins, i hope they do everything they can to remain anonymous and protect themselves.

Dendave
03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
My dad is an estate/trust lawyer and he has always told me before anyone claims lottery winnings to contact an estate/trust lawyer like whoisjohngalt has suggested, I just posted my original post because I don't think most people realize how complicated this could get, but let's keep dreaming, I would buy a home in Durango. I would also buy a parking lot near the stadium for an orangemane tailgate site (sorry Meck)

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
I would buy 2 chicks at the same time. I reckon I could do that with that kind of money.

onbohio
03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
I would buy 2 chicks at the same time. I reckon I could do that with that kind of money.

I just got divorced, I reckon I could have me some fun with that kind of money. By the way, cutthemdown, If I win does the ex have any rights to any of the money?

cutthemdown
03-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah the theaters I ran, we had four separate incidents where someone tried to get money out of us. One said her son slipped in a field and tore up his knee while the place was under construction, insurance company found he had no right to be where he was. Thrown out. Another one a guy claimed he slipped on popcorn that wasn't cleaned up. They asked him for proof, he said well you didn't clean your theater, we said we did, our word against his, we won. Also had two separate instances of girls opening doors while wearing sandals and the door tearing off their big toenail. Insurance company says that's the risk you run wearing sandals in public, claim got thrown out.

Sorry, I think people suing you is the least of your worries on how to be parted from your millions.

I'm not a lawyer so this is all from just lowly helper observing..but i do have my aa degree for it. The reason the theaters have a cleaning schedule, and a place where the employee signs off they cleaned it, is for that exact reason. So that the theater can say we did everything reasonably to be expected to create a safe movie environment.

People seem to think you can just fall down and break your neck and get rich. Then they scream we need tort reform. Trust me guys its not like that. It's harder then ever to win lawsuits. Things like medical malpractice you have to pay doctors to get one to testify against another one. Slip and falls have to be from something negligent.

For example. The kid who fell through the septic tank opening and died, for sure an unreasonable dangerous condition and the landlord probably is going to get sued. But rich people smart they usually hide behind a corporation etc etc. Try to keep their private assets in trusts that make their income seem low, but they really are rich etc etc.

My main point is its not as easy to sue as people think. They make it sound like its just free money being handed out at the courthouse. We have a case right now where a girl had her legs crushed sitting on a open tailgate at a race. Driving around in parking lot, someone wasnt looking rear ended the truck right at her legs. You don't want a big personal injury lawsuit trust me, it means you got seriously ****ed up.

But......people will mile a soft tissue injury, run up the meds as much as insurance will pay, then try and get a pay out But often they don't get much 5 grand to settle etc etc. We see a lot of that. Insurance companies can be pussies and settle to easy because all of them fear the big payout.

cutthemdown
03-30-2012, 08:26 PM
I just got divorced, I reckon I could have me some fun with that kind of money. By the way, cutthemdown, If I win does the ex have any rights to any of the money?

Im not an attorney man i can't give advice like that. But if divorce final and you bought ticket with your money then i do believe it is all yours.

Divorce is something i am going to read on. My brother, who is an atty just went through an expensive divorce, mainly because divorce atty are the least talented of all atty. They basically stall and miss deadlines just to run your costs up. So my brother was saying if i could do a lot of the number crunching and the client interviews, get facts all in a row, he could just glance it over and we could do lots of divorces cheap and make money. Money, how it gets split, in calif is all a formula based on income. And the fight over kids doesn't have to last as long as people think. In fact you can probably get a judge to rule on that within a yr or faster. But they drag **** on, do a bunch of discovery that isn't needed etc etc.

cutthemdown
03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Also though, the last thing any of us need to worry about is making bad decisions with millions of dollars lol. I mean cmon! The chances of winning are so slim its silly to plan things like i would get an atty and a great accountant. Were just dreaming here right? You say things like I would buy my mom whatever house she wanted, and whatever car she wanted, and whatever house i wanted etc etc, travel the world, go see every place you ever thought would be cool to see. Fly to Mexico and visit Baja, then surprise him a wide variety of seeds lol. Baja will mostly be LA Confidential, OG Kush, maybe Black Widow.

Spider...I would get him a really fancy rig, with a special hidden compartment to keep the dead hookers errrrrr i mean store his gear in. :) I would also get him a chimp trained to punch throats. It would be like BJ and The Bear, except with way more violence and dead hookers.

Oh yeah and a good tax atty.

Gort
03-30-2012, 09:10 PM
jackpot numbers just drawn.

02 04 23 38 46 + 23

match all 6 = jackpot
match first 5 = $250K
match 4 + mega ball = $10K
match 4 = $150
match 3 + mega ball = $150
match 3 = $7
match 2 + mega ball = $10
match 1 + mega ball = $3
match mega ball = $2

http://www.megamillions.com/howto/

Kid A
03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
If there was a winner tonight...there's a very happy Michael Jordan fan somewhere.

spdirty
03-30-2012, 09:27 PM
46-23-38-4-2. Megaball 23

Wish I'd have known that 3 hours ago.

I won!!!! 2 dollars! Yay me! Gonna take those winnings and turn em into a powerball ticket for tomorrow.

broncocalijohn
03-30-2012, 09:36 PM
first lotto I have bought in probably 4 years (maybe longer). $2 investment and didnt take any cash. Didn't know the same number could be drawn more than once. Hope that helps this thing almost hit a Billion dollars. Of course I will forget all you saps when I hit it next week.

broncocalijohn
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
BTW, the reason so many people have bad luck or screw up after winning millions is because they are most likely losers in real life and never did anything career-wise to know what to do with millions of dollars. Die hard players look for the easy way out in life and play the lotto like it is part of their job ... if they have one. Just look at the pictures on tv of people standing in line for a few hours. They do it because they have no job or real life to do something better. Once one of these simpletons hits the big one, they do not seek out professional advice because, "Ive never needed it before!" They procede to blow it on vacations, cars, booze and whatever else fancies their little brains. Investment is never a thought. A few years later we hear about how they are unlucky and lost it all. No, they are stupid and got what was coming to them.

That One Guy
03-30-2012, 09:56 PM
BTW, the reason so many people have bad luck or screw up after winning millions is because they are most likely losers in real life and never did anything career-wise to know what to do with millions of dollars. Die hard players look for the easy way out in life and play the lotto like it is part of their job ... if they have one. Just look at the pictures on tv of people standing in line for a few hours. They do it because they have no job or real life to do something better. Once one of these simpletons hits the big one, they do not seek out professional advice because, "Ive never needed it before!" They procede to blow it on vacations, cars, booze and whatever else fancies their little brains. Investment is never a thought. A few years later we hear about how they are unlucky and lost it all. No, they are stupid and got what was coming to them.

I guarantee if I won the lottery, I'd be following in the footsteps of Charlie Sheen (women wise, not necessarily drugs) and my marriage would be done with. I'd blow it all on such important things as a topless secretary and non-stop Roman orgies.

razorwire77
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
jackpot numbers just drawn.

02 04 23 38 46 + 23

match all 6 = jackpot
match first 5 = $250K
match 4 + mega ball = $10K
match 4 = $150
match 3 + mega ball = $150
match 3 = $7
match 2 + mega ball = $10
match 1 + mega ball = $3
match mega ball = $2

http://www.megamillions.com/howto/
In all seriousness, how pissed would you be with a match first 5?

That One Guy
03-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Only a little.

I don't think anyone can really hypothesize how much money $600M is. I think anyone that had $250K more than they had yesterday would be ecstatic.

orange crusher
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I won!

orange crusher
03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
I won!

....$3

OBF1
03-30-2012, 10:34 PM
And how much did you spend to win the $3.00???

broncocalijohn
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM

after not winning anything? I think I would still be happy. Now if I watched it live and saw the numbers come up and then see the Mega number match one of my numbers? I would be pissed somewhat.

KevinJames
03-30-2012, 10:51 PM
now im hearing there is a winner? weird.

Gort
03-30-2012, 11:06 PM
BTW, on the megamillions website, you can find examples of winners who kept their anonymity by setting up trusts and then claimed the prize on behalf of the trust using their attorney.

http://www.megamillions.com/winners/winner.asp?bioID=E12668C1-1159-44E3-8833-14B7D4AF29CF&startItem=31

http://www.megamillions.com/winners/winner.asp?bioID=11&startItem=37

orange crusher
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
And how much did you spend to win the $3.00???

Only $5. :)

spdirty
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
feel sorry for the people who are working having to sell all these lottery tickets

No ****ing way. MM site hasn't updated yet.

OBF1
03-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Only $5. :)

So you lost $2.00, not won $3

OBF1
03-31-2012, 01:00 AM
1 winning ticket sold in Maryland.

Ratboy
03-31-2012, 01:13 AM

Good, now everyone can get back to their daily lives.

myMind
03-31-2012, 01:50 AM

http://i44.tinypic.com/21km3ix.gif

link? Its not up on the mm website.

TomServo
03-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Originally Posted by razorwire77
been there done that. won $20,000 on a 2$ ticket. one number away from 71.000,000. if you dont play you cant win.

TomServo
03-31-2012, 02:06 AM
and 2$ is all i spent. btw. people that buy 100$ in tix are dumbasses

orange crusher
03-31-2012, 02:35 AM
So you lost $2.00, not won $3

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now I'm depressed. ;)

TomServo
03-31-2012, 02:40 AM
anyway, all those idiots on TV kept saying it was a half billion $ jackpot. anyone with half a brain knew 1/3 got cut off the top and went to the goverment.
? went to solyindra(sp). the fiskar car- the first car in history to not get off the pad in consumer reports history. not even the chevy vega. the Yugo or ford pinto failed to get off the pad. a $100.000 f up on the launching pad? yay my govermnet $ or lotto $ Bucks at work

TomServo
03-31-2012, 03:28 AM
scuse me $100.000,000 Fiskar F up

Bacchus
03-31-2012, 03:42 AM
Well, I'll be going to work Monday.

chadta
03-31-2012, 05:31 AM
I just hope it was somebody that never buys tickets, who just decided to get one because it was so big that won, id hate to think that it actually paid off for on of those every week paying suckers.

spdirty
03-31-2012, 08:42 AM
3 winners sold. Illinois, Kansas, Maryland. http://www.megamillions.com/mcenter/pressrelease.asp?newsID=3E62C1A0-BE5A-403C-BD70-9D73868B112A

Is Colorado ever gonna win this bull****? Unbelievable.

Meck77
03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
I think anyone who won that kind of scratch would have a horrible life. .

I agree. Just trying to keep the government off your back would be a nightmare.

It would make so much more sense to split pots like that into 100k chunks.

Chris
03-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Was anyone else surprised they didn't win the lottery today?

lonestar
03-31-2012, 02:11 PM
3 winners sold. Illinois, Kansas, Maryland. http://www.megamillions.com/mcenter/pressrelease.asp?newsID=3E62C1A0-BE5A-403C-BD70-9D73868B112A

Is Colorado ever gonna win this bull****? Unbelievable.

so about $213,000,000.00 EACH?

Wonder if they have any of it in 10 years..

broncolife
03-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Was anyone else surprised they didn't win the lottery today?

Well I quit my job, got drunk and put myself 100,000 dollars in debt. Oh well I guess I just did it sooner than later. I still cant believe I spent the money on a 3 legged whore.........why did she have 3 legs..............oh crap.

That One Guy
03-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Well I quit my job, got drunk and put myself 100,000 dollars in debt. Oh well I guess I just did it sooner than later. I still cant believe I spent the money on a 3 legged whore.........why did she have 3 legs..............oh crap.

Sounds like everyone's Y2K celebrations.

chadta
03-31-2012, 04:55 PM
I agree. Just trying to keep the government off your back would be a nightmare.

It would make so much more sense to split pots like that into 100k chunks.

they do that up here, we have oh whats it called ( can you tell i dont play the lottery) anyhow, once the jackpot reaches 50 million they start putting out multiple million dollar secondary jackpots, with seperate draws, that was actually the last ticket i bought, the main jackpot was 50 mill, and there was 18 1 million dollar prizes, all being drawn on one night.

broncocalijohn
03-31-2012, 10:56 PM
and 2$ is all i spent. btw. people that buy 100$ in tix are dumbasses

Also, people that put dollar signs after the value are dumbasses.

TomServo
04-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Also, people that put dollar signs after the value are dumbasses.
this dumbass was 20,000$ richer. i bought a new car. on one two$ ticket.

chadta
04-01-2012, 06:13 AM
this dumbass was 20,000$ richer. i bought a new car. on one two$ ticket.

now if you win the next 4 draws too, you will recoup all the money you have put into the lottery over the years, congratulations on breaking even