PDA

View Full Version : POST: After lost rookie year, it's time for Broncos TE Julius Thomas to step up

Kaylore
03-30-2012, 08:12 AM
No direct quotes, but hopefully between Green and "Orange" Julius we can salvage one of those players with the added competition at Tight end.

After lost rookie year, it's time for Broncos TE Julius Thomas to step up

Q: Wasn't Julius Thomas supposed to be the next great Broncos tight end? I realize he was hurt last year, but have they already given up on him?

A: Kenny, the Broncos haven't given up on him, and they shouldn't. Much like trading Alphonso Smith just one season after they traded away a first-round pick to take him in the second round of the 2009 draft was impetuous, so would be discarding Thomas at this point.

The Broncos expended a fourth-round pick on Thomas last year and then took another tight end Virgil Green with one of their seventh-round picks.

Meanwhile, back in the offense, when the Broncos moved to an option-based offense because Tim Tebow was the team's starter at quarterback, the team's tight ends largely became ornamental in the passing game no matter who they were. With just 19 catches, Daniel Fells led the team's tight ends in receptions.

And all of the team's tight ends had just 13 catches combined over the Broncos' last 10 games of the regular season. So they essentially muted the position beyond a blocking role in the offense as Tebow rarely targeted them in the passing game.

Read more: After lost rookie year, it's time for Broncos TE Julius Thomas to step up - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20284693/after-lost-rookie-season-its-time-julius-thomas#ixzz1qbpzTgqv
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Dr. Broncenstein
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Time to step up to third string?

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
He was a camp juggernaut.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
This article seems to back up my premis that Thomas and Green are largely unknowns as of right now due to the Tebow offense more than anything else.

derp
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Oh gawd, I'd almost forgotten about the Alphonso Smith fiasco. Has there ever been a dumber trade in NFL history?

BroncsCheer
03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
With a new QB, the TE position should feature a lot more in the offense.

However, Green and Thomas will have to push hard to get on the field with Tamme and Dreesen in front of them.

Paladin
03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
He played only one year of football in college, and then it was a smaller school with lesser competition. It seems to me that it is a bit early to "call him out" or to expect great things from him. He was injured last year, and the year on the bench may have helped him understand the pro game a little more, and that would be a good thing.

TEs tend to be athletic players with multiple reposnibilities in an O. Manning likes and uses the TE position, and he will need a good athlete there. IIRC, OJ was considered a good athtlete evidenced by his BB background. Furthermore, Manning can and will throw the ball where the TE or WR can catch it. I would think he would improve this year, but next year, 2013, would be most likely for a breakout.

(This message was typed without the aid of Mrs. TOG's nipples.)

Play2win
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
It will be nice to see the TE infused into our offensive system again. Its been a while.

barryr
03-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Thomas needs to stay healthy for one thing. He is athletic enough, so there is still a chance for him. I wonder if Green will see more time at FB and used as a weapon in the passing game that way?

Rabb
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I like how it says he needs to step up, while recognizing that he was ignored in the offense. Quality work.

Kaylore
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Some of it was system related. He's been working out with Manning so maybe he can contribute this year.

campocorto
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
It would be nice to see Thomas develop into a Pro Bowl caliber pass catcher and jump ahead of Tamme and Dressen on the depth chart.

Thomas/Tamme/Dressen could be be the best TE trio since Sharpe/Carswell/Chamberlain.

Doggcow
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Oh gawd, I'd almost forgotten about the Alphonso Smith fiasco. Has there ever been a dumber trade in NFL history?

Carson Palmer

Dr. Broncenstein
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
If history has taught us anything, it's that springtime articles about player x poised to step up are always correct.

BroncoLifer
03-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Maybe the one the Colts made back in 1983.....

Lestat
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM

no, and it's not even remotely close.
you don't ever trade a future first for a non current first.

i think their development will be excelled with Manning running the offense.
the main thing i could potentially see as a issue now is does a top tier TE fall to them in the draft and he's BPA so they're forced to take him.

i know we have holes on defense but if a Allen,Green or Fleener is there at a certain pick and they're the #1-2-3 TE whereas the other guys are 5-10 on the board then i wonder what happens.

Agamemnon
03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Convert him and Virgil Green to WR and be done with it. They are never going to see the field as TE's given our recent signings.

Taco John
03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
The lack of production at the tight end position is one of the things that disturbed me about Tebow's game - especially in light of the fact that the league is clearly moving in the direction of using the tight ends a lot more prominently in the passing scheme.

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 05:55 PM
How dare a 4th round rookie not set the league on fire immediately!?!?!?

Kaylore
03-30-2012, 06:21 PM
If history has taught us anything, it's that springtime articles about player x poised to step up are always correct.

Correct in that he will probably be cut this preseason.

Borks147
03-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Correct in that he will probably be cut this preseason.

Or light it up and then "hurt his knee" *wink wink* and not be seen for a year. Although I guess the league is thinking about changing those rules.

baja
03-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Which part? Trading away a first to draft him or giving him away for a ham sandwich when he didn't play like a first round pick in his rookie season?

KevinJames
03-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I predict he will be the 1st or 2nd string and always the first TE we want to go to in the passing game.

I think him working out with Manning will help a lot.

KipCorrington25
03-30-2012, 08:12 PM

No

baja
03-30-2012, 08:22 PM
No

herschal walker

Lestat
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
herschal walker
still not nearly as dumb. it set the Boys up for years and the Vikes back but it still wasn't nearly as dumb.

lonestar
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
herschal walker

Well from the cowgirls stand point it was pretty sweet.

Then there was teh RIcky Williams trade..

there are a bunch of dumb trades done by morons..

Most of them have the raiders involved and aldavis..

baja
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
still not nearly as dumb. it set the Boys up for years and the Vikes back but it still wasn't nearly as dumb.

They gave 6 good players some starters I believe for 1 player that was not a franchise QB.

He was gonna what, touch the ball 25 times a game for what, 3 or 4 years.

jerseyguy4
03-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I feel like we're pointing to it but not saying it..... Is...the 3, THREE, tight end set possible!!??

Probably not. But for a second I sorta liked the idea of the offense doing something surprising.

FireFly
03-31-2012, 01:56 AM

RG3 :wiggle:

cutthemdown
03-31-2012, 02:46 AM
A guy I know who is now a Bronco fan, because he is a Peyton Manning fan, say Tamme never lines up inline. So really he's like a WR more then a TE. Dressen will do the inline stuff, and we have a couple youngsters and Tamme to move around to get matched up against linebackers and safetys. Dressen sound likes he is an upgrade over Fells, so at least we got a bit better.

lonestar
03-31-2012, 11:07 AM
A guy I know who is now a Bronco fan, because he is a Peyton Manning fan, say Tamme never lines up inline. So really he's like a WR more then a TE. Dressen will do the inline stuff, and we have a couple youngsters and Tamme to move around to get matched up against linebackers and safetys. Dressen sound likes he is an upgrade over Fells, so at least we got a bit better.

Good post let me add
Way to many people get hung up on "position" names It does not matter where someone lines up if they are a "receiver", tight, wide, slot, Hback or in the backfield. The end result is the same, the guy creates a match up issue for the opposing defense..

It was always a an arguement why are we keeping an extra TE the guy sucks, but they kpet him labeled as a TE even though he was a LS..

Now if you put a WR tag on MAnning it would be something to bitch about..

But almost any other "tag" on any other player is not worth whinning about..

Lestat
03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
i think we'll see them often. i fully expect to see 3 and 4 TE sets similar to what the Packers use.
you can split Tamme to slot,have Dreessen and Thomas man the traditional TE positions on the end of the lines. in the red zone you can add in Green and have a jumbo package.
I feel like we're pointing to it but not saying it..... Is...the 3, THREE, tight end set possible!!??

Probably not. But for a second I sorta liked the idea of the offense doing something surprising.

wolf754life
03-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Wesley Duke

Lestat
03-31-2012, 11:57 AM
naw, the skins needed a franchise QB and he's the best prospect outside of Luck you're likely to see in the next 6-7+ years.
Barkley is good but he's not the prospect Luck and RGIII are.
now if he busts out it looks stupid, if he pans out you may have a Eli Manning situation(where you trade a ton but win more than the team that acquired the assets.)
RG3 :wiggle: