PDA

View Full Version : Some of the league's top coaches believe Manning can make history.

Bronco Rob
03-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Some of the league's top coaches believe Manning can make history.

Manning won his Super Bowl title ring in the Miami rain in the last game of the 2006 season, when he helped the Indianapolis Colts beat the Chicago Bears. After 13 seasons with the Colts, Manning missed his 14th because of a neck injury, which also led to his release three weeks ago.

"I think it can be done," said Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarty. "We were close."

The challenge in bringing in an established great quarterback to an otherwise humdrum established offense, McCarthy said, is the play-calling language.

John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, said there would be a little of both.

"What I told Peyton is, what we do that's pretty much the same, it's yours," Elway said. "But you're probably going to have to learn what we've got."

The calls at the line of scrimmage? "It will be all him," Elway said of the four-time MVP.

In other words, Manning's 10 fellow offensive starters also will have to do some studying.

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan offered perhaps the best perspective about the challenges the Broncos will have in integrating Manning.

But then, Shanahan would. He was the Broncos' head coach in those 2003 and 2004 first-round playoff losses — by scores of 41-10 and 49-24 to the Manning-led Colts. Manning passed for a combined nine touchdowns and 835 yards in those two blowouts.

Shanahan said of the Broncos' challenges in transitioning an old quarterback to a new offense: "They're going to have a lot less challenges than not having Peyton."

For The Rest http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20277634/peyton-manning-majoring-language-arts-while-learning-denver

IHaveALight
03-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Shanahan said of the Broncos' challenges in transitioning an old quarterback to a new offense: "They're going to have a lot less challenges than not having Peyton."

:thumbsup:

cmhargrove
03-29-2012, 05:56 AM

:thumbsup:

Good thing that they are still considering Shanahan "one of the league's top coaches." I love me some Shanny, but now that he has traded the farm for RGIII, he may have hitched to his final wagon. At least it should help buy him the proverbial "three development years," unless the Skins can manage a way to get even worse in the process.

DENVERDUI55
03-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Whatever these guys need to log on here and listen to the experts on the mane. What do they know.

BroncoBen
03-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Good thing that they are still considering Shanahan "one of the league's top coaches." I love me some Shanny, but now that he has traded the farm for RGIII, he may have hitched to his final wagon. At least it should help buy him the proverbial "three development years," unless the Skins can manage a way to get even worse in the process.

Yes, 3 1st round draft picks in the next 3 years is a pretty steep price to pay. The Redskins better hope that RGIII can stay healthy, the one knock I have him is he is kinda of slight in frame. Not playing college anymore... playing with the big boys, week in week out.

enjolras
03-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Yes, 3 1st round draft picks in the next 3 years is a pretty steep price to pay. The Redskins better hope that RGIII can stay healthy, the one knock I have him is he is kinda of slight in frame. Not playing college anymore... playing with the big boys, week in week out.

If that's what it takes to get a top-tier QB... it's worth every single pick (I'd argue that they underpaid really).

Mountain Bronco
03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
"They're going to have a lot less challenges than not having Peyton."
Great quote!

TonyR
03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
"They're going to have a lot less challenges than not having Peyton."
Great quote!

That quote frames in a very simple way what the pro Manning acquisition camp has been telling the Tebownites who've opposed it from the very start. Regardless of whether or not we win the Super Bowl we're a much better team with Peyton Manning at QB than we were without him.

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
That quote frames in a very simple way what the pro Manning acquisition camp has been telling the Tebownites who've opposed it from the very start. Regardless of whether or not we win the Super Bowl we're a much better team with Peyton Manning at QB than we were without him.

You and Errand are sad little campers. You literally can't discuss anything but Tebow.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
You and Errand are sad little campers. You literally can't discuss anything but Tebow.

I'd just prefer a lot less high fivin' even before the first coin flip.

We took a big risk. We HOPE it pays off. But nothing is settled.

TonyR
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
You and Errand are sad little campers.

I'm not sad at all. I'm thrilled we have Peyton Manning as our QB this season. You, on the other hand, have been laughably wrong from the very beginning of this whole thing (click link below for just one example) so it's clear why you can't enjoy it as much as i do. The Jets would be happy to have another fan, I'm sure.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3469960&postcount=138

Gutless Drunk
03-29-2012, 10:34 AM

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-latest-tebow-billboards

bronco militia
03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
hmmmm...this thread contradicts the arm strength thread.

not sure if serious

;D

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
HOPE PAY A TON wins a superbowl more than 1, 3 would be a success

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
so it's clear why you can't enjoy it as much as i do.
I am very excited over the signing, but that's all that's happened so far and the results remain to be seen. Your problem is that you're too dimwitted to recognize the difference between having concerns, and hating the move because you filter every one of your posts through a Tebow lens.

You and your little buddy Errand are knobbing each other like we've already won 3 Super Bowls with Manning when the reality is there's not even a guarantee he'll get back to 100%.

Every waffling post you make is just a whiny little dig at Tebow, and has nothing to do with the topics proposed in the thread. Tebow is gone, get over it.

TonyR
03-29-2012, 10:53 AM
You and your little buddy Errand are knobbing each other like we've already won 3 Super Bowls...

I'd like to see you find even one post of mine which backs this up. I'm well aware of the risks the Broncos are taking but I think it was well worth those risks. Looks like Mike Shanahan joins the long list of people who agree with me.

Tebow is gone, get over it.

LOL I'm clearly not the one who needs to get over it. Who are you trying to fool here, yourself or everybody else? Because the latter isn't happening!

baja
03-29-2012, 11:02 AM

I do not honestly know of one person here that would disagree with that in the short term assuming Manning can recapture most his old form.

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
I'd like to see you find even one post of mine which backs this up. I'm well aware of the risks the Broncos are taking but I think it was well worth those risks.This post perfectly highlights just how daft you are. You say to highlight one post where you say you're acting like it's already a success, while IN the very same post doing exactly that. Man, you're just too stupid, I'm sorry, I don't normally pick on people, but you really are not bright.

Saying "it was well worth the risk" before a single game or practice has taken place is doing the exact thing I am talking about. Get a clue. Man! Seriously! You are a dimwit!

LOL I'm clearly not the one who needs to get over it. Who are you trying to fool here, yourself or everybody else? Because the latter isn't happening!

You're the only one who mentioned Tebow in this thread. Get over it.

DENVERDUI55
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/the-latest-tebow-billboards

Are you sure he didn't say "At the end of the day." In that billboard?

baja
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM

So if Peyton does not win 3 Super Bowls here the acquisition was a failure?

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 11:05 AM
I do not honestly know of one person here that would disagree with that in the short term assuming Manning can recapture most his old form.

There isn't one. Tony just can't post unless he somehow relates it back to Tebow.

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM

Not at all. But let's say we never make the playoffs with Manning, or that he plays 4 games before being forced to retire. That would certainly qualify as failure.

Peyton's nerve
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
boy I hope so. Being dead sucked

baja
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Not at all. But let's say we never make the playoffs with Manning, or that he plays 4 games before being forced to retire. That would certainly qualify as failure.

Ya that's close to the "3 Super Bowl wins" success bar set by the poster I quoted

baja
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
boy I hope so. Being dead sucked

Are you sure your avatar is not a picture of a vagina?

TonyR
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Saying "it was well worth the risk" before a single game or practice has taken place is doing the exact thing I am talking about. Get a clue. Man! Seriously! You are a dimwit!

ROFL! You're so lost, bro. Clearly the Broncos thought it was worth the risk, just as SF and Ten and Mia, among others, did as well. Can you find any legit sources/experts/commentators/pundits/whatver that disagree with me and agree with your stupid a**? Are you going to run with BroncoBeavis and Agamemnon as your support? Why do you keep arguing with somebody who can quote post after post showing how I've been right and you've been wrong? At some point you just need to stop embarrassing yourself here. If you think Tebow was the answer then you're free to root for him and Jets. People that understand football know that Manning was the better bet. You can either enjoy the ride or keep belly-aching about how scary the risks are. Your choice.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-29-2012, 11:21 AM

yes it is for that amount of money it should of been 6 or 10 million not Andrew luck type of money its like pay a ton is luck the rookie , i wonder if we now fixed it so luck will get twice what manning will get.
if i was bowlen i would of went after manning ,for less thou .

bendog
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
ROFL! You're so lost, bro. Clearly the Broncos thought it was worth the risk, just as SF and Ten and Mia, among others, did as well. Can you find any legit sources/experts/commentators/pundits/whatver that disagree with me and agree with your stupid a**? Are you going to run with BroncoBeavis and Agamemnon as your support? Why do you keep arguing with somebody who can quote post after post showing how I've been right and you've been wrong? At some point you just need to stop embarrassing yourself here. If you think Tebow was the answer then you're free to root for him and Jets. People that understand football know that Manning was the better bet. You can either enjoy the ride or keep belly-aching about how scary the risks are. Your choice.

Clearly the Jets prefered Tim to Peyton. It's obvious.

It's like, just scroll past those three. Hopefully they'll migrate somewhere.

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Ya that's close to the "3 Super Bowl wins" success bar set by the poster I quoted

I acknowledged your point.

bendog
03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
yes it is for that amount of money it should of been 6 or 10 million not Andrew luck type of money its like pay a ton is luck the rookie , i wonder if we now fixed it so luck will get twice what manning will get.
if i was bowlen i would of went after manning ,for less thou .

Everyone running an nlf franchise disagrees with you, and you don't even have the grace/intelligence to be embarrassed.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-29-2012, 11:24 AM
damn now i gotta change my adopt a bronco but too lazy to dammit . and i doubt pay a ton will win a few superbowls .
can we trade pay a ton for ELI the more successful manning!

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Never mind.

You're too dumb to even realize that there is nothing but conjecture regarding Manning at this point.

TonyR
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Clearly the Jets prefered Tim to Peyton.

LOL People around the league thought so highly of Tebow that they threw a 4th round pick the Broncos way! Dedhed clearly has a future as an NFL GM!

TonyR
03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
You're too dumb to even realize that there is nothing but conjecture regarding Manning at this point.

LOL But Tebow is the real deal, right? Can't miss? ROFL!

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Everyone running an nlf franchise disagrees with you, and you don't even have the grace/intelligence to be embarrassed.

why should i history backs me up xcept one case . you be begging me to keep my views they are often wrong like me wanting to keep dan reeves wade phillips not hiring shanny <-- my fav coach so far keeping that idiot son of hoodie around a couple more years <-- my least fav coach think we should ship him off to Antarctica
and of course im a idiot look whos my avatar is you do know who is my avatar is right
ya know WHAT ,ME WORRY ?
MAD
ALFRED E NUMAN
im a schmuck moron
the people i admire alot is William M. Gaines ,James Randi , Penn and Teller 2 out of those 3 are skeptics the other taught me not to take life soo seriously and also taught me not to take my self seriously . so your insults are what i call my self you should really learn to relax

Dedhed
03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
I still have said nothing about Tebow in this thread. Like I said, get over it.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM

its just the internet you should really learn to relax

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 11:42 AM

We could probably also afford real solutions at DT, MLB and OL if not for the Mangini gambit. All eggs in one basket is not smart long term strategery.

baja
03-29-2012, 11:49 AM
We could probably also afford real solutions at DT, MLB and OL if not for the Mangini gambit. All eggs in one basket is not smart long term strategery.

Normally no but we are talking Peyton Manning here. If ever there was an exception to that rule he is it.

Dude there is a very good chance he will go out as the the best to ever play the game at the QB position. You just don't pass on that not even for Tim Tebow.

All the experts say he is (or soon will be) better than ever. You gotta go with the experts on structural health. This one is easy to call with X ray.

We should rejoice that he chose us. Not only did we get Peyton but by his coming here that says we are closer than some of us think. Peyton would not chose a team that didn't have a good shot at a championship

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Normally no but we are talking Peyton Manning here. If ever there was an exception to that rule he is it.

Dude there is a very good chance he will go out as the the best to ever play the game at the QB position. You just don't pass on that not even for Tim Tebow.

All the experts say he is (or soon will be) better than ever. You gotta go with the experts on structural health. This one is easy to call with X ray.

We should rejoice that he chose us. Not only did we get Peyton but by his coming here that says we are closer than some of us think. Peyton would not chose a team that didn't have a good shot at a championship

People said the same thing about Favre. Except I think in the Vikings case, the trade off was on Tavaris Jackson. I like Tebows long term prospects much better.

And I don't think too many people think Schaub is in the same league as PM either down in Houston. But Kube didn't even really kick PM's tires. And their team is much more solid all around.

Yes there are many smart people in the NFL who think the Manning thing could pay off. But there were many others who didn't think it was worth the risk.

And let's not downplay the $18-20 million a year thing. That factored huge into whether teams were interested or not. Many teams were weeded out because they simply weren't willing to handicap their salary cap that much for such a narrow window.

TonyR
03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
^ Re Favre, I think he was showing more signs of decline than Manning has and he was 2 years older than Manning is now. 2010 was one of Manning's best years despite the condition which prompted him to have the surgery which made him lose 2011.

Re Schaub/Houston, Schaub has proven far more than Tebow has and the Texans had cap problems which made Manning almost an impossibility for them.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 12:38 PM
^ Re Favre, I think he was showing more signs of decline than Manning has and he was 2 years older than Manning is now. 2010 was one of Manning's best years despite the condition which prompted him to have the surgery which made him lose 2011.

Sorry, but missing 16 games with 4 neck surgeries is AT LEAST on par with any decline Favre saw

Re Schaub/Houston, Schaub has proven far more than Tebow has and the Texans had cap problems which made Manning almost an impossibility for them.

I don't know. I remember Tebow vs Schaub. Schaub had a good start to this year and all, but he's never been good enough consistently enough to prove much of anything. Especially for a guy who's already 31. Dumping a 31 year old for a 36 year old is a different ballgame than for a 24 year old.

baja
03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
People said the same thing about Favre. Except I think in the Vikings case, the trade off was on Tavaris Jackson. I like Tebows long term prospects much better.

And I don't think too many people think Schaub is in the same league as PM either down in Houston. But Kube didn't even really kick PM's tires. And their team is much more solid all around.

Yes there are many smart people in the NFL who think the Manning thing could pay off. But there were many others who didn't think it was worth the risk.

And let's not downplay the $18-20 million a year thing. That factored huge into whether teams were interested or not. Many teams were weeded out because they simply weren't willing to handicap their salary cap that much for such a narrow window.

Well the consensus is it was a hell of a coop for Elway and the Broncos and in spite being a huge Tim Tebow backer I'm thrilled we got Peyton.

I guess we'll just have to sit back and watch how this unfolds.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
How can you even bring up houston? They couldn't even keep Mario or demeco. Don't think they weren't interested in manning. Their cap space prevented them from pursuing. Manning isn't going to play for the minimum.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
Well the consensus is it was a hell of a coop for Elway and the Broncos and in spite being a huge Tim Tebow backer I'm thrilled we got Peyton.

I guess we'll just have to sit back and watch how this unfolds.

I think the split's about 70/30 or so among Bronco fans. I'm definitely of the minority opinion. Now I just hope for the best.

I also don't happen to believe simply having now made the move is vindication for the move itself. Whether it was the right or wrong move can only be established on the field.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 01:49 PM
How can you even bring up houston? They couldn't even keep Mario or demeco. Don't think they weren't interested in manning. Their cap space prevented them from pursuing. Manning isn't going to play for the minimum.

There's always a way to make it work. Would've meant making sacrifices on the roster... but then again, we'll have to make long term sacrifices as well.

baja
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
I think the split's about 70/30 or so among Bronco fans. I'm definitely of the minority opinion. Now I just hope for the best.

I also don't happen to believe simply having now made the move is vindication for the move itself. Whether it was the right or wrong move can only be established on the field.

I was saying a consensus among medical experts not fans.

Want'a make a friendly bet?

I'll take 10 or more wins for 20 bucks for this season.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
I was saying a consensus among medical experts not fans.

Want'a make a friendly bet?

I'll take 10 or more wins for 20 bucks for this season.

I wouldn't call 10 wins and a one-n-done in the payoffs a victory having bet the farm. Baseline is reach at least the AFC Championship this year, and a Lombardi over the next 3.

That can move up or down depending on how Tebow does.

baja
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't call 10 wins and a one-n-done in the payoffs a victory having bet the farm. Baseline is reach at least the AFC Championship this year, and a Lombardi over the next 3.

That can move up or down depending on how Tebow does.

You often miss the point.

Do you think the Broncos win ten games this season? If not want'a bet?

Peyton's nerve
03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Are you sure your avatar is not a picture of a vagina?

It's actually a photo of a cat cadaver with the head removed. But, I'll change it.

baja
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
It's actually a photo of a cat cadaver with the head removed. But, I'll change it.

Just joking around. It doesn't bother me Don't take it down on my behalf. ;D

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
You often miss the point.

Do you think the Broncos win ten games this season? If not want'a bet?

Why not just bet whether Manning can lead his Xbox team to a Madden Bowl '13 Championship?

10 Wins is irrelevant if it ends like the 2010 Colts.

baja
03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Why not just bet whether Manning can lead his Xbox team to a Madden Bowl '13 Championship?

10 Wins is irrelevant if it ends like the 2010 Colts.

So I take it that's a 'No" to the friendly bet.

The Moops
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Never been done by qb his age or older.

TonyR
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Never been done by qb his age or older.

What's never been done by a QB his age or older?

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
So I take it that's a 'No" to the friendly bet.

Why would I bet against the Broncos winning 10 games? Jake Plummer did that every year he was here. Would you have cut him a deal for $18 million a year?

yerner
03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
this will never be a failure. it gets them away from tebow. 18 million well spent.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
this will never be a failure. it gets them away from tebow. 18 million well spent.

So even if this doesn't work and we go back to an Orton-style malaise in the desert for years, it's all good to you.

KevinJames
03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd just prefer a lot less high fivin' even before the first coin flip.

We took a big risk. We HOPE it pays off. But nothing is settled.

No a big risk would have been sticking with Tebow and running an unconventional offense and HOPE it would work. OR Keeping Tebow forcing him into a pro style offense and HOPE he can adjust.

yerner
03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
So even if this doesn't work and we go back to an Orton-style malaise in the desert for years, it's all good to you.

yep. the sooner no more read option, the better for the denver broncos. get over it.

houghtam
03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
yep. the sooner no more read option, the better for the denver broncos. get over it.

LOL I knew there was a reason you belonged on ignore.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM
No a big risk would have been sticking with Tebow and running an unconventional offense and HOPE it would work. OR Keeping Tebow forcing him into a pro style offense and HOPE he can adjust.

Also a risk, but not one that handicaps your filling needs at other positions. And one with long-term upside vs short term upside.

1 Million for a 24 year old, or 18 million for a 36 year old. The difference in risk is self-explanatory.

houghtam
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Perhaps I missed it, but why has no one addressed the obvious, which is...Why is Shanahan included in a thread about what top coaches think?

He's barely .500 since 1998, with one playoff win and only 4 appearances in 12 seasons, as well as 4 losing seasons in a row. I think it's safe to close the book on Shanahan being good at anything anymore.

DBroncos4life
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
What's never been done by a QB his age or older?

No player won the MVP award 4 times. That sure didn't stop Manning from doing it. ;D

houghtam
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
No player won the MVP award 4 times. That sure didn't stop Manning from doing it. ;D

Three and a half.

DBroncos4life
03-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Three and a half.

Sure boss LOL

errand
03-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Still butt hurt, huh?

errand
03-29-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm not sad...in fact I'm quite happy. See, the FO that alot of you clowns blasted signed one of the greatest QB's ever to QB my favorite team....and we've gone from 75-1 odds to win a title to 8-1 immediately after he was signed.

Manning hasn't even played a down, and already he's improved this team in the eyes of the oddsmakers. Not to mention many NFL observers believe he'll have us contending for the next few seasons....

So, I'm not sad at all....everyone can see that you're still a little butt hurt about them dumping what's his face, but don't worry, time will heal your pain.

errand
03-29-2012, 04:49 PM

most of them that did disagree with it are now posting on a Jets board somewhere....

baja
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
most of them that did disagree with it are now posting on a Jets board somewhere....

Like who?

errand
03-29-2012, 04:52 PM
You're the only one who mentioned Tebow in this thread. Get over it.

"Every waffling post you make is just a whiny little dig at Tebow, and has nothing to do with the topics proposed in the thread. Tebow is gone, get over it...." - Dedhed (merely 4-5 posts prior)

errand
03-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Also a risk, but not one that handicaps your filling needs at other positions. And one with long-term upside vs short term upside.

the problem you have is your lone belief that the Jet's new back-up had upside, let alone long term upside. Perhaps he has a long successful career, then again he could be preaching to thousands of people in two years....you can't say he will anymore than someone else can say he won't...

Manning on the other hand, even if he declines 10% a year is still head and shoulders above that other guy....

1 Million for a 24 year old, or 18 million for a 36 year old. The difference in risk is self-explanatory.

One Million for a QB that is still 3-4 years away from being a legitimate QB vs 18 mil for a 36 year old HoF QB that can play the game at it's highest level even while coming off injury makes it a no brainer.

in bold

doonwise
03-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Greedy.

TonyR
03-29-2012, 07:19 PM
“He could play a game. We’ve done it, we’ve simulated games, and he’s done well. He’s going to do nothing but get stronger and going to play up to his standards,” Cutcliffe said Thursday in a phone interview with The Denver Post. “I know that’s his goal, and there isn’t any reason, there is no indicator otherwise…”

“...He can make all the throws, his release times are perfect, and we pay a lot of attention to that. It’s arm speed and getting rid of it. His velocity is good. It’s just a matter of, like any other NFL football player, you’ve got to feel good,” Cutcliffe said. “He’s in great shape. Not good shape, great shape, and that’s part of what we did here as well.”

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20283175/peyton-manning-good-go-broncos-says-qb-coach?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

houghtam
03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
“He could play a game. We’ve done it, we’ve simulated games, and he’s done well. He’s going to do nothing but get stronger and going to play up to his standards,” Cutcliffe said Thursday in a phone interview with The Denver Post. “I know that’s his goal, and there isn’t any reason, there is no indicator otherwise…”

“...He can make all the throws, his release times are perfect, and we pay a lot of attention to that. It’s arm speed and getting rid of it. His velocity is good. It’s just a matter of, like any other NFL football player, you’ve got to feel good,” Cutcliffe said. “He’s in great shape. Not good shape, great shape, and that’s part of what we did here as well.”

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20283175/peyton-manning-good-go-broncos-says-qb-coach?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LOL really?

They simulated a defensive lineman hitting him before he could finish his three step drop? Man, they're pulling out all the stops.

BroncoBeavis
03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
LOL really?

They simulated a defensive lineman hitting him before he could finish his three step drop? Man, they're pulling out all the stops.

More Camp Champ tryouts.

Best Chance to Win! You can't question those simulations. :)

Tombstone RJ
03-29-2012, 08:24 PM

TonyR
03-30-2012, 05:55 AM

I know you're trying to be funny with this, but why would they do that? His getting hit today wouldn't be any different that getting hit two years ago. The issue is his arm strength. He either has recovered enough of it to be effective or he hasn't. He's at no more risk of getting injured by a hit now than he was before the surgeries. Most of what I've read suggests he's not 100%, and may never get 100% there, but he's far enough along and still progressing to the point where most involved aren't concerned about it. Peyton Manning with 85% of his 2009 arm strength is still going to be a top 5 caliber QB, something we haven't seen on this team in a long, long time.

Bronco Rob
03-30-2012, 07:43 AM
He'll raise the offense to a level where they are consistent week after week after week. He eliminates a lot of mistakes, and they'll score a lot of points week after week after week. He kind of changes the defensive philosophy (the Broncos) will face because all of a sudden (defenses) aren't rushing the passer against Denver or protecting a lead.

We've always said it's like preparing for one of those quarterbacks in a video game. You just can't fool him. He'll move fast and get the ball to the right people.

He's going to get up under center, scan the field and he knows what you're doing," Fisher said. "It may look like you're doing something else, but he knows what you're doing. It goes beyond staring into the eyes of the safeties. He understands presnap looks, the signals, the communication. He just knows all that.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Still butt hurt, huh?

It would be difficult to "still" be something that I never was.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 08:10 AM
I know you're trying to be funny with this, but why would they do that? His getting hit today wouldn't be any different that getting hit two years ago. The issue is his arm strength. He either has recovered enough of it to be effective or he hasn't. He's at no more risk of getting injured by a hit now than he was before the surgeries. Most of what I've read suggests he's not 100%, and may never get 100% there, but he's far enough along and still progressing to the point where most involved aren't concerned about it. Peyton Manning with 85% of his 2009 arm strength is still going to be a top 5 caliber QB, something we haven't seen on this team in a long, long time.

This has been posted a million times. The spot where he got the surgery isn't any more liable to a hit than before. However, as Beavis pointed out, there are concerns now about other areas. I'm not a medical doctor, but when doctors say "there aren't any risks to where he got his surgery, but...", I usually listen to the "but" part, regardless of whether someone I can't stand posts it or not.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm not sad...in fact I'm quite happy. I'm not talking about your emotional state. I'm talking about your life from an outsider's perspective.

See, the FO that alot of you clowns blasted signed one of the greatest QB's ever to QB my favorite team....and we've gone from 75-1 odds to win a title to 8-1 immediately after he was signed.

Manning hasn't even played a down, and already he's improved this team in the eyes of the oddsmakers. Not to mention many NFL observers believe he'll have us contending for the next few seasons....Ahhh, if only odds makers determined who wins games.

So, I'm not sad at all....everyone can see that you're still a little butt hurt about them dumping what's his face, but don't worry, time will heal your pain.Time clearly hasn't worked in healing the pain you felt every time we won a game with ol' "what's his face" at the helm. Like I said, you're sad.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
This has been posted a million times. The spot where he got the surgery isn't any more liable to a hit than before. However, as Beavis pointed out, there are concerns now about other areas. I'm not a medical doctor, but when doctors say "there aren't any risks to where he got his surgery, but...", I usually listen to the "but" part, regardless of whether someone I can't stand posts it or not.

Don't try to get Tony involved in looking at the reality of a situation, it's a futile effort.

Gort
03-30-2012, 08:29 AM

now that we have the human PEZ dispenser at QB, i am afraid that one day he'll get hit so hard, his giant pumpkin head will pop off and his headless body will be stumble around on the field frantically trying to find its head like the Robin Williams character in Baron von Munchausen.

TonyR
03-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Don't try to get Tony involved in looking at the reality of a situation, it's a futile effort.

You mean like the reality that we drastically upgraded the QB position? And that you're butthurt about it? And were wrong about the prospects of it happening so now you're desperate to be right about something?

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
You mean like the reality that we drastically upgraded the QB position? And that you're butthurt about it? And were wrong about the prospects of it happening so now you're desperate to be right about something?

Aww, that's cute. You and Errand are even sharing the same verbiage now.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 08:46 AM
now that we have the human PEZ dispenser at QB, i am afraid that one day he'll get hit so hard, his giant pumpkin head will pop off and his headless body will be stumble around on the field frantically trying to find its head like the Robin Williams character in Baron von Munchausen.

You could have used the stupid Nearly Headless Nick example from Harry Potter, but you didn't. You chose a much more obscure, much higher quality film in Baron von Munchausen.

Rep to you, sir. Rep.

Broncolt
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Sorry, but missing 16 games with 4 neck surgeries is AT LEAST on par with any decline Favre saw

Not at all.. Not when missing 16 games and getting all those surgeries does nothing but make your neck even stronger than before.....arm strength? you really think peyton manning, the perfectionist, is going to have a problem with that? peyton probably has higher standards for himself than anyone else does of him lol

Broncolt
03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
And have you guys ever watched Peyton? He'll do anything to avoid a hard hit. Heck, he even dives into a fetal position like a bitch when he sees hes about to get OWNED. his health wont be an issue =P

houghtam
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
missing 16 games and getting all those surgeries does nothing but make your neck even stronger than before

This is complete and utter BS.

Why doesn't everyone in the NFL just get the surgery in the first place so their neck gets stronger?

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
And have you guys ever watched Peyton? He'll do anything to avoid a hard hit. Heck, he even dives into a fetal position like a b**** when he sees hes about to get OWNED. his health wont be an issue =P

Not really comforting. "Guy who never gets hit missed 16 games with 4 neck surgeries."

If he got hurt that bad without ever getting hit, just wait until he does.

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Why doesn't everyone in the NFL just get the surgery in the first place so their neck gets stronger?

It's the "18 Million Dollar Man" argument.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Imported/ShowPix/Jonathan/imagesN_Z/six-million-dollar-man.jpg

There's no refuting it. He has a robospine now. He's better than EVAH! :)

Broncolt
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM

lol, you clearly havent read anything about peytons neck fusion surgeries. go ahead read then then come back here. his neck is stronger than it was before, its already been stated by doctors and whatnot. his injury risk is the same as it was before the injury/surgeries, and guess which QB has most consecutive starts behind brett favre? oh thats peyton.

Not everyone gets the surgery because not everyone has damaged nerves in their neck lol..please go and read some more articles on this surgery & peyton lol.

baja
03-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Not really comforting. "Guy who never gets hit missed 16 games with 4 neck surgeries."

Ever consider accepting what IS and choosing to be positive about the unknowable future?

Might make for a happier NOW.

bendog
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

I usually give you the benefit of the doubt, but this post is dumb enough to possibly lable you a teboner.

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
lol, you clearly havent read anything about peytons neck fusion surgeries. go ahead read then then come back here. his neck is stronger than it was before, its already been stated by doctors and whatnot. his injury risk is the same as it was before the injury/surgeries, and guess which QB has most consecutive starts behind brett favre? oh thats peyton.

Not everyone gets the surgery because not everyone has damaged nerves in their neck lol..please go and read some more articles on this surgery & peyton lol.

Yeah because clearly nobody on the OM has discussed this before the Colts fans came to enlighten us. Go do some reading and get back to us.

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
I usually give you the benefit of the doubt, but this post is dumb enough to possibly lable you a teboner.

lable? Is that French? What do you want to do to him?

Broncolt
03-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Ok dude u got it, peyton is gonna get injured game 4 and retire...bam $18 million gone.

i honestly cannot wait till the season comes and you finally hop on the manning wagon...lol.

Oh and by the way, this is the hit that is the reasoning for his surgery 4 years later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBxHse5s74

bendog
you, beavis, are the epic of teboners.

houghtam

I've already read them. There is no greater risk of injury to the repaired portion. There is, however, a larger potential for injury to other spots. This has been posted and discussed several times. It appears that it is you, Colts fan, who needs to go back and read.

bendog
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Ok dude u got it, peyton is gonna get injured game 4 and retire...bam $18 million gone.

i honestly cannot wait till the season comes and you finally hop on the manning wagon...lol.

Oh and by the way, this is the hit that is the reasoning for his surgery 4 years later...

beavis will never be on the manning wagon cause he thinks he'd have to get off timmy's.

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Ever consider accepting what IS and choosing to be positive about the unknowable future?

Might make for a happier NOW.

I'm happy to take that approach with anyone who'll admit that we're taking a gamble here.

For those who say "Peyton's fusion makes his neck STRONGAH! It's Science!" I'll keep pointing out the obvious.

baja
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM

I saw Tebow take worse hits every game and the hitter was the one laying on the field.

Just sayin...

baja
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm happy to take that approach with anyone who'll admit that we're taking a gamble here.

For those who say "Peyton's fusion makes his neck STRONGAH! It's Science!" I'll keep pointing out the obvious.

I doubt there is anyone here that does not realize there is some risk involved here. It's called a calculated risk.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 09:58 AM

Oh, so what you're saying is that each of the NFL players that wanted to strengthen their neck would have to go through a really bad hit like Manning got, and THEN they could get their neck repaired and strengthened?

Hey if I'm on the fringe of making an NFL team, I'm going to do anything I can to get an edge, including getting two of my friends to try and rip my head off while tackling me, then sitting out a year and having 4 surgeries.

Then when I come back the next year, I can use the "Manning's neck is stronger after 4 surgeries" argument for getting a pay raise.

BroncoBeavis
I doubt there is anyone here that does not realize there is some risk involved here. It's called a calculated risk.

his neck is stronger than it was before, its already been stated by doctors and whatnot. his injury risk is the same as it was before the injury/surgeries

???

bendog
I saw Tebow take worse hits every game and the hitter was the one laying on the field.

Just sayin...

Tebow couldn't make it through an entire year. I'll be surprised if Manning makes 16 regular season starts, but Tebow's career will be short unless he learns to work the pocket and get rid of the ball on timing routes.

Tebow's a great kid and may become a good qb. But the broncos are much better off with Peyton, and that fact is just killing these guys. LOL

bendog
03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Oh, so what you're saying is that each of the NFL players that wanted to strengthen their neck would have to go through a really bad hit like Manning got, and THEN they could get their neck repaired and strengthened?

Hey if I'm on the fringe of making an NFL team, I'm going to do anything I can to get an edge, including getting two of my friends to try and rip my head off while tackling me, then sitting out a year and having 4 surgeries.

Then when I come back the next year, I can use the "Manning's neck is stronger after 4 surgeries" argument for getting a pay raise.

For god's sake man, try a little google. There is no medical question that Manning's neck is stronger at the spot he got the fusion. Keep it up just making **** up and posting it, and I won't be reading your posts next year.

Now if you tried posting somethign remotely accurate to the facts, like Manning's a 36 year old qb, and the chances are that a hit he took at 26 will cause more injury now he's 36. He could blow a knee; he could damage some other part of his neck, etc.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 10:08 AM
There is no medical question that Manning's neck is stronger at the spot he got the fusion.
No one is saying otherwise. You just can't seem to comprehend that the extent of the issue extends beyond the exact location of the fusion.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
For god's sake man, try a little google. There is no medical question that Manning's neck is stronger at the spot he got the fusion. Keep it up just making **** up and posting it, and I won't be reading your posts next year.

Now if you tried posting somethign remotely accurate to the facts, like Manning's a 36 year old qb, and the chances are that a hit he took at 26 will cause more injury now he's 36. He could blow a knee; he could damage some other part of his neck, etc.

I'm not going to take up that argument with someone named "Broncolt" who joined the day Manning signed. It's like arguing String Theory with a carrot, or spider.

On the other hand, why don't you try using Google and look up "adjacent segment degeneration"

http://www.neckpainexplained.com/adjacent-segment.htm

Adjacent Segment Degeneration refers to the degeneration of an intervertebral disc above or below vertebras previously fused together...The intervertebral spinal discs act as shock absorbers. The concern is that the disc above or below a fused level will have to absorb more shock, and may have accelerated wear and tear because of the increased forces placed on those discs.

Gort
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/funny-food-art-awesome-30.jpg

bendog
03-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm not going to take up that argument with someone named "Broncolt" who joined the day Manning signed. It's like arguing String Theory with a carrot, or spider.

On the other hand, why don't you try using Google and look up "adjacent segment degeneration"

http://www.neckpainexplained.com/adjacent-segment.htm

exactly. Manning may well injure his neck. His neck is not the neck he had at 26. However, the actual spot that was fused is stronger. You were arguing that and it's bs.

But again the injury argument is a red herring I had previously thought below you. Tebow has shown he has yet to make it though an entire season without getting knocked out. He may learn.

There's no logical argument to the teboners assertions that Den was a better team with Tebow than Manning. It's simple bs that they want to believe, and it's unsupported by anyone with any knowlege of the game or anyone without some irrational (and frankly gay) attraction to Tebow.

your original take was Den is so bad, we're better off taking out lumps and go with Tebow or another qbof to be determined later. I think you're wrong, but I won't hammer it.

Dedhed
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
exactly. Manning may well injure his neck. His neck is not the neck he had at 26. However, the actual spot that was fused is stronger. You were arguing that and it's bs.

That's not at all what he was arguing. No one has made that argument. Again, you're too dim to comprehend that the issue extends beyond the precise area of the fusion.

baja
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Maybe Peyton can go to Africa in the off season to visit a head shrinker tribe and get a partial head shrink down to normal size thereby reducing the stress on his neck?

...just a thought

houghtam
03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
exactly. Manning may well injure his neck. His neck is not the neck he had at 26. However, the actual spot that was fused is stronger. You were arguing that and it's bs. Not my argument at all.

But again the injury argument is a red herring I had previously thought below you. Tebow has shown he has yet to make it though an entire season without getting knocked out. He may learn. How is worrying about Peyton Manning getting killed behind our terrible offensive line a red herring? Go back and watch the video of the Shaun Ellis sack on Tebow where he ran around for 10 minutes. That's a perfect example of where Manning would get killed. Someone said "well he'd just have audibled out of it"...yeah, Manning would have audibled out of a three man rush.

There's no logical argument to the teboners assertions that Den was a better team with Tebow than Manning. Perhaps you're referring to someone else, because I have never made that point. I have, however, argued that this team is not a Manning away from a Super Bowl, and that their resources spent elsewhere while keeping Tebow at QB would produce a better result than replacing him with Manning and his huge contract, injury risk and small window we have in which to win. It's simple bs that they want to believe, and it's unsupported by anyone with any knowlege of the game or anyone without some irrational (and frankly gay) did you really just go there? attraction to Tebow.

your original take was Den is so bad, we're better off taking out lumps and go with Tebow or another qbof to be determined later. I think you're wrong, but I won't hammer it.

No, my original take is Denver is so bad, we're better off spending Manning's $20 million somewhere else. Tebow just happened to be the starting quarterback on a 1-4 team that won a playoff game after he was inserted as starter. I say he wasn't what's broke. You are free to disagree with that.

In bold.

Broncolt
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I've already read them. There is no greater risk of injury to the repaired portion. There is, however, a larger potential for injury to other spots. This has been posted and discussed several times. It appears that it is you, Colts fan, who needs to go back and read.

Thats simply because of age though. It has nothing to do with his neck or neck surgery. Unless I missed an article saying that after these surgeries, he has more potential to get hurt in other areas of his body...I honestly dont recall. Mind to link me so I can go back and read?

Broncolt
03-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Your right, Denver acquiring Manning is a gamble. A big one. The way I see it though is:

1) If Peyton's health/injury proneness really is an issue and it becomes apparent this season, he has the option bonus after, can be released if Denver feels Peyton is not the same.
2) If Peyton is still playing at an elite level, no injuries, etc, Peyton brings a higher chance of playoff game opportunities, more success. Not saying its guaranteed, but Peyton will make it more easy/possible
3) Broncos get ****ed and Peyton laughs all the way to the bank

houghtam
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Thats simply because of age though. It has nothing to do with his neck or neck surgery. Unless I missed an article saying that after these surgeries, he has more potential to get hurt in other areas of his body...I honestly dont recall. Mind to link me so I can go back and read?

Just google "adjacent segment degeneration".

bendog
03-30-2012, 12:02 PM

I missed your post because of Deadhead and Beavis innane tboneer love

houghtam
03-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I missed your post because of Deadhead and Beavis innane tboneer love

It's okay. Some of their schtick is a bit over the top, but as I posted before in a different thread, I can at least see where Beavis is coming from...if his join date were any earlier than 2011, I'd be much quicker to jump to his defense. I'd also like to go on record in saying that MacGruder and Broncbow were on my ignore list after about three or four posts or so.

I'm not going to start naming names, but there is a very significant portion of this message board that has a pre-2009 join date and is not happy with this acquisition, and not because they were Tebowners. Does that not tell you that really, for the majority of the anti-Manning acquisition crowd (or anti-Broncos, if you ask Douchebag4Life), this isn't a Tebow thing?

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 12:40 PM
It's okay. Some of their schtick is a bit over the top, but as I posted before in a different thread, I can at least see where Beavis is coming from...if his join date were any earlier than 2011, I'd be much quicker to jump to his defense. I'd also like to go on record in saying that MacGruder and Broncbow were on my ignore list after about three or four posts or so.

I'm not going to start naming names, but there is a very significant portion of this message board that has a pre-2009 join date and is not happy with this acquisition, and not because they were Tebowners. Does that not tell you that really, for the majority of the anti-Manning acquisition crowd (or anti-Broncos, if you ask Douchebag4Life), this isn't a Tebow thing?

Join date, Schmoin date. :)

Do you want my Broncos account priority number? I was probably on the waiting list before this site even existed.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Join date, Schmoin date. :)

Do you want my Broncos account priority number? I was probably on the waiting list before this site even existed.

It's the well-known Tebow effect.

There were an absurd amount of fans that joined this site right after Tebow was drafted. I remember. They did all the things the "People-Who-Hate-Tebowners" say they do. So the PWHT crowd gets all resentful about it. Then as the weeks went on, the Tebow crowd diminished more and more, until there really weren't any. Fast forward to this season, when the cries for Tebow were coming from EVERYWHERE...the PWHT couldn't take it...they had flashbacks from before and it gave the PWHT PTSD. It caused them to see Tebowners where there weren't any and LEGIONS of Tebowners where there were only actually a few.

Please forgive me if I didn't mistake you for a longtime fan when you joined right around the time Tebow was "the starter going into camp". I expressed my opinion on why you're fed up in that other thread, and I'm not going to rehash it. I'm with ya, bro, even though I may not agree with your methods. We're like Tango and Cash. Or Jake and the Fatman. REP! LOL

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 12:56 PM

There were an absurd amount of fans that joined this site right after Tebow was drafted. I remember. They did all the things the "People-Who-Hate-Tebowners" say they do. So the PWHT crowd gets all resentful about it. Then as the weeks went on, the Tebow crowd diminished more and more, until there really weren't any. Fast forward to this season, when the cries for Tebow were coming from EVERYWHERE...the PWHT couldn't take it...they had flashbacks from before and it gave the PWHT PTSD. It caused them to see Tebowners where there weren't any and LEGIONS of Tebowners where there were only actually a few.

Please forgive me if I didn't mistake you for a longtime fan when you joined right around the time Tebow was "the starter going into camp". I expressed my opinion on why you're fed up in that other thread, and I'm not going to rehash it. I'm with ya, bro, even though I may not agree with your methods. We're like Tango and Cash. Or Jake and the Fatman. REP! LOL

:D

BroncoBeavis
03-30-2012, 01:07 PM

I think I kinda sorta described once what made me want to voice my opinion.

I'll never forget 2010. From October on I literally had no reason to much care what the Broncos did. They were finished. We had a known stopgap playing because we traded our QBOTF. I'd watch games with my son and literally just stop watching them after half because it was pointless.

In 25 years as a fan, I'd never felt that way, especially for the majority of any season. We were always in it. If you squinted, you could always find some hope things would come together.

But in 2010, we'd basically packed up the tent and were riding a QB that everyone knew was never going to amount to anything. I was excited for the final 3 games when it finally looked like we were going to move on, and figure out what we had in the kid we just drafted.

The team literally marketed this hope for the future the next offseason. This hope literally sold 10's of thousands of tickets, who knows how much in merchandise.

Then the inexplicable backtrack happened. An intentional reversal back into maybe the most miserable season in Broncos history. I honestly couldn't believe it could be happening, so I started looking around to find out what other Broncos fans had to say. In hindsight, this team seems like it was just desperate to avoid Tebow at any or all cost, until they literally had no other choice.

So now we sit with Peyton Manning, and ironically another retread Bears backup QB. Hopefully that isn't a sign of history about to repeat itself yet again.

Agamemnon
03-30-2012, 04:30 PM

If he doesn't win at least one, yes it was a failure. Especially if Tebow develops and has success elsewhere.

Tombstone RJ
03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
If he doesn't win at least one, yes it was a failure. Especially if Tebow develops and has success elsewhere.

So, multiple SB wins and TT fail for you to be happy? Got it.

Agamemnon
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
So, multiple SB wins and TT fail for you to be happy? Got it.

Err...since when does "at least one" mean "multiple"?

And yes, how Tebow does going forward has a lot to do with how this move ultimately looks, at least in my eyes. If he continues to struggle with footwork and the reading of defenses, and never really makes the transition, it won't look all that bad even if Manning never delivers anything meaningful. But if he does develop into a guy who looks like he's looked in the 4th quarter many times, but for entire games? And we don't win at least one Super Bowl with Manning? Yeah, it's going to look like one epically bad move.

TheDave
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Soooo..... We have an article were successful head coaches in the league are openly talking about Denver in the super bowl followed by 4 pages of nothing but bitching... And to think this place use to be a good spot to talk broncos.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Soooo..... We have an article were successful head coaches in the league (and Mike Shanahan) are openly talking about Denver in the super bowl followed by 4 pages of nothing but b****ing... And to think this place use to be a good spot to talk broncos.

I fixed your post.

TheDave
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
I fixed your post.

Not a fan of how 97 & 98 went?

houghtam
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Not a fan of how 97 & 98 went?

He's no longer a top coach.

TheDave
03-30-2012, 05:18 PM

Now that he has something to work with at QB, he'll look a lot better.

Waif til you see how smart fox looks this year. ;D

DBroncos4life
03-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Don't waste your time man.

houghtam
03-30-2012, 05:33 PM

I dunno I think you might be underestimating how well RG3 will play his first year. They better hope either the rest of the team is awesome, which it's not, or that Shanahan can pull a rabbit out of his hat. Personally I think considering he hasn't been in the playoffs in 6 years and has 1 playoff win in his past 14 years or whatever, he's proven that he's just not that great anymore.

Bronco Rob
03-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Soooo..... We have an article were successful head coaches in the league are openly talking about Denver in the super bowl followed by 4 pages of nothing but b****ing... And to think this place use to be a good spot to talk broncos.

:~ohyah!:

TonyR
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM

I agree, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know QB talent and understand the difference that it makes. He's smart enough to know that going from Tebow to Manning is a major upgrade, even if Manning isn't 100% pre-2011 Manning.

houghtam
04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know QB talent and understand the difference that it makes. He's smart enough to know that going from Tebow to Manning is a major upgrade, even if Manning isn't 100% pre-2011 Manning.

All he said was that the Broncos would have fewer problems on offense with Manning than with Tebow.

It doesn't take rocket science to make a simple statement like that.

TonyR
04-01-2012, 11:21 AM
All he said was that the Broncos would have fewer problems on offense with Manning than with Tebow.

It doesn't take rocket science to make a simple statement like that.

Um, okay. So if he was a "top coach" you'd put more stock in it? Since he's not his statement is somehow devalued? I'm not sure what your point is here...

houghtam
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Um, okay. So if he was a "top coach" you'd put more stock in it? Since he's not his statement is somehow devalued? I'm not sure what your point is here...

The thread's title is "Some of the league's top coaches believe Manning can make history", and Shanahan is one of the coaches quoted. Leslie Frazier is quoted in the full article, as well. Since this is a Broncos board, I figured it would be more relevant to point out that Shanahan is no longer a top coach. Leslie Frazier sucks also.

That was my point.

Swedish Extrovert
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Shanahan could still be a top coach. His ego is a problem.

Lestat
04-01-2012, 12:41 PM

no, his issues with QB's not named Elway or Cutler, his insistence on drafting busts and his allergic reaction to really good D coaches is the issue.

i mean Bob ****ing Slowik has a job for Tebow's sakes.

houghtam
04-01-2012, 12:57 PM
no, his issues with QB's not named Elway or Cutler, his insistence on drafting busts and his allergic reaction to really good D coaches is the issue.

i mean Bob ****ing Slowik has a job for Tebow's sakes.

More like his allergic reaction to defense in general.

This has been covered a million times, but let's just take one more look at defensive players drafted by Shanahan:

Ken Brown
Phil Yeboah-Kodie
Steve Russ
John Mobley
Tory James
Mark Campbell
Darius Johnson
Tony Veland
Trevor Pryce
Cory Gilliard
Eric Brown
Nate Wayne
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Chris Watson
David Bowens
Darwin Brown
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
Jerry Johnson
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
Reggie Hayward
Dorsett Davis
Sam Brandon
Chris Young
Monsanto Pope
Terry Pierce
Nicholas Eason
Bryant McNeal
Aaron Hunt
Clint Mitchell
D.J. Williams
Jeremy LeSueur
Jeff Shoate
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Domonique Foxworth
Elvis Dumervil

All-Pro players in bold. Players I barely even remember and had to look up who the **** they were in orange.

R8R H8R
04-01-2012, 01:56 PM

I agree with this to a point. Most coaches believe that in today's NFL most teams can be dominate on only one side of the ball. Shanahan insisted that one side should be his side(offense).

That works best when you have a Steve Young or Elway at QB. Doesn't work so well with Brian Greise, Rex Grossman, etc. at QB. It is ego, imo, that made Shanahan go with these QB's because he believed it was the system, not the players, that made it work.

Hamrob
04-01-2012, 09:06 PM
The guy is fine. The neck is stronger than before injury occured. Additionally, PM has been hit, and hit hard. He is also very good at avoiding the big hit. This is a gladiator sport, and Manning is one of the best. He's no pussy!

Hamrob
04-01-2012, 09:13 PM

This has been covered a million times, but let's just take one more look at defensive players drafted by Shanahan:

Ken Brown
Phil Yeboah-Kodie
Steve Russ
John Mobley
Tory James
Mark Campbell
Darius Johnson
Tony Veland
Trevor Pryce
Cory Gilliard
Eric Brown
Nate Wayne
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Chris Watson
David Bowens
Darwin Brown
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
Jerry Johnson
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
Reggie Hayward
Dorsett Davis
Sam Brandon
Chris Young
Monsanto Pope
Terry Pierce
Nicholas Eason
Bryant McNeal
Aaron Hunt
Clint Mitchell
D.J. Williams
Jeremy LeSueur
Jeff Shoate
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Domonique Foxworth
Elvis Dumervil

All-Pro players in bold. Players I barely even remember and had to look up who the **** they were in orange.Let's be fare, several of these players went on to have good careers elsewhere:

Tory James
Eric Brown
Montae Raeger
David Bowens
Reggie Hayward
Sam Brandon
Nick Eason
Karl Paymah
Dominic Foxworth

Overall, not great.......but, average.

barryr
04-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Ken Brown
Phil Yeboah-Kodie
Steve Russ
John Mobley
Tory James
Mark Campbell
Darius Johnson
Tony Veland
Trevor Pryce
Cory Gilliard
Eric Brown
Nate Wayne
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Chris Watson
David Bowens
Darwin Brown
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
Jerry Johnson
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
Reggie Hayward
Dorsett Davis
Sam Brandon
Chris Young
Monsanto Pope
Terry Pierce
Nicholas Eason
Bryant McNeal
Aaron Hunt
Clint Mitchell
D.J. Williams
Jeremy LeSueur
Jeff Shoate
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Domonique Foxworth
Elvis Dumervil

All-Pro players in bold. Players I barely even remember and had to look up who the **** they were in orange.

It is a pathetic list. An offensive player that was a horrid pick was a 3rd rounder on Travis McGriff. I still can't believe Shanahan drafted him that high.

houghtam
04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Let's be fare, several of these players went on to have good careers elsewhere:

Tory James
Eric Brown
Montae Raeger
David Bowens
Reggie Hayward
Sam Brandon
Nick Eason
Karl Paymah
Dominic Foxworth

Your list has one Pro Bowl appearance and one Pepsi Rookie of the Week honor.

Broncolt
04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
The guy is fine. The neck is stronger than before injury occured. Additionally, PM has been hit, and hit hard. He is also very good at avoiding the big hit. This is a gladiator sport, and Manning is one of the best. He's no p***Y!

Yes this! Although the way he dives into fetal position is pretty funny, Manning is really aware in the pocket and for the most part cautious of incoming big hits

barryr
04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Let's be fare, several of these players went on to have good careers elsewhere:

Tory James
Eric Brown
Montae Raeger
David Bowens
Reggie Hayward
Sam Brandon
Nick Eason
Karl Paymah
Dominic Foxworth

What did Brown, Raeger, Brandon, and Paymah do anywhere else?

houghtam
04-01-2012, 09:22 PM
It is a pathetic list. An offensive player that was a horrid pick was a 3rd rounder on Travis McGriff. I still can't believe Shanahan drafted him that high.

Ugh, yeah. Don't forget Maurice Clarett in the 3rd, George Foster in the 1st, Chris Cole in the 3rd, and Marcus Nash in the 1st. Clarett I can see since it was a comp pick and he had potential in the parts of his body below his neck, and Foster wasn't an awful pick, just a bit of a reach. But McGriff, Cole, and friggin' Nash were just...ugh!~

barryr
04-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Ugh, yeah. Don't forget Maurice Clarett in the 3rd, George Foster in the 1st, Chris Cole in the 3rd, and Marcus Nash in the 1st. Clarett I can see since it was a comp pick and he had potential in the parts of his body below his neck, and Foster wasn't an awful pick, just a bit of a reach. But McGriff, Cole, and friggin' Nash were just...ugh!~

Shanahan obviously had difficulty drafting good WR's, much less defensive players.

Bacchus
04-01-2012, 11:17 PM

Ken Brown
Phil Yeboah-Kodie
Steve Russ
John Mobley
Tory James
Mark Campbell
Darius Johnson
Tony Veland
Trevor Pryce
Cory Gilliard
Eric Brown
Nate Wayne
Al Wilson
Montae Reagor
Chris Watson
David Bowens
Darwin Brown
Deltha O'Neal
Ian Gold
Kenoy Kennedy
Jerry Johnson
Willie Middlebrooks
Paul Toviessi
Reggie Hayward
Dorsett Davis
Sam Brandon
Chris Young
Monsanto Pope
Terry Pierce
Nicholas Eason
Bryant McNeal
Aaron Hunt
Clint Mitchell
D.J. Williams
Jeremy LeSueur
Jeff Shoate
Darrent Williams
Karl Paymah
Domonique Foxworth
Elvis Dumervil

You know this is basically EVERY team in the NFL? Look at other team's drafts. Almost all are very hit and miss.

Shananahan
04-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Oh wow. I hadn't read this thread in days and opened to the last page. Based on the first two posts I don't think I'm going to fill myself in on the rest.

You guys realize Shanahan left almost five years ago, right? Is there a statute of limitations on having the same conversation over and over again?

Shananahan
04-01-2012, 11:42 PM
With my luck, that very same question was asked on page four.

houghtam
04-01-2012, 11:48 PM
With my luck, that very same question was asked on page four.

Sixty months, give or take. ;D

Bronco Rob
04-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Shanny’s spider sense told him where Manning would sign—that and his cap situation

Peyton Manning's fitness did not concern Mike Shanahan
www.washingtontimes.com

“I don’t think anybody is convinced until he’s ready to go,” Shanahan said when asked his belief about Manning’s health. “Knowing him, knowing his work ethic, knowing his passion for the game, I would be shocked if he’s not ready to go – just knowing him and how he prepares and how hard he works…

...“It was kind of just interesting, fun to sit down and talk football for a number of hours,” Mike Shanahan said. “At the end I had a feeling what direction he may go, especially with our situation with the cap – which I can’t talk about in detail. We had a good conversation.”

The Mastermind. I guess he knew all along and just didn't tell us.

With a great base tan comes great responsibility.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/