PDA

View Full Version : A Varsity Letter in Bass Fishing

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 05:14 PM
South Carolina high schools angling to make bass fishing a varsity sport

Football, basketball, baseball and … bass fishing?

High schools in South Carolina are bidding to make fishing an official high school sport, with teams, leagues and varsity letters. And with pro tournaments and television shows about fishing making it more popular than ever, some say it’s time for schools to recognize the activity as a full-fledged sport.

“They want their picture on the wall just like the football team and the volleyball and basketball and other state champion teams from Camden,” said Daniel Sisk, the fishing club coach at Camden High School in Columbia.

“Fishing is a very demanding sport, both physically and mentally,” said Sisk “It’s very tough. “We aren’t going out and doing two-a-days as far as practice goes, but it’s eight-hour days.

“I heard that throwing 150 casts is equivalent to throwing 100 pitches in a game,” said Fishing Club member Carson Morgan. And, according to their coach, serious anglers often make 500 casts in a day.

“If it was recognized as a varsity sport, then your benefits would be you can letter in it, you can get scholarships,” said Camden Fishing Club member Catie Charles, a freshman. “But right now you don’t. You just go out there for fun and nobody really notices.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/22/friday-night-bites-south-carolina-high-schools-angling-to-make-bass-fishing/

Pendejo
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
****ing dorks.

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 05:21 PM
****ing dorks.

Hummm not so fast .......

Chris
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Hummm not so fast .......

Hummus not so fast. From neck down that's a nice fish.

When I think of CO I think of Broncos, food and fishing more than anything else. Having said that, pffffff.

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Hummus not so fast. From neck down that's a nice fish.

When I think of CO I think of Broncos, food and fishing more than anything else. Having said that, pffffff.

An old wise man once said "if you can't eat it, wear it or screw it, it has no value what so ever....

broncosteven
03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Don't they throat punch catfish down there as a sport?

oubronco
03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Wish they would've had that when I was in school

Blueflame
03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
They give varsity letters for being on the golf team too.

broncogary
03-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes, college golf is pretty big.

DBroncos4life
03-28-2012, 06:21 PM
I holding out for disc golf.

broncogary
03-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I holding out for disc golf.

Going for the chicks, eh? :wiggle:

That One Guy
03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
The equipment required would be interesting unless they were fishing from shore. Overall though, I'd prefer they stick to team sports. Bass fishing is an independent thing.

Blueflame
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Yes, college golf is pretty big.

They make a pretty big deal out of it if any of the high school golfers does well enough to compete in the state tournament.

DBroncos4life
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Going for the chicks, eh? :wiggle:
Lol, my long drive drives them wild!

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 08:08 PM

My daughter was an All-State golfer in Oklahoma, the top 10 girls from the state golf tournament make the All-State team. She received a nice All-State letter jacket and ring, most boys in Oklahoma would kill for an All-State jacket.

Slightly Soiled
03-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Personally I think carp fishing would be better for HS.

Blueflame
03-28-2012, 08:22 PM
My daughter was an All-State golfer in Oklahoma, the top 10 girls from the state golf tournament make the All-State team. She received a nice All-State letter jacket and ring, most boys in Oklahoma would kill for an All-State jacket.

Congratulations to your daughter... that's very cool. Sounds like she should consider the LPGA.