PDA

View Full Version : Gym rats - HIIT and sleep?

Chris
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
About three weeks ago I started adding HIIT on to my workouts as a means to trim down for the summer (target is 7% body fat down from 17). Ever since then I've had a lot of difficulty falling asleep, whereas normally I conk out immediately. I can't help but assume there's some correlation. Naturally I'm more tired than usual after the workouts so it's odd that I'd have difficulty turning off at night.

Anyone ever had a similar experience?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
7 percent down from 17? jeez

Chris
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
7 percent down from 17? jeez

Hey, one can dream. This is just to sustain for ~ 3 months. Working pretty hard on it.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Not that hard to drop body fat if you are dedicated. I've dropped from 23% to 16% in 3 weeks. My goal is 6-8%.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Not that hard to drop body fat if you are dedicated. I've dropped from 23% to 16% in 3 weeks. My goal is 6-8%.

yeah, but getting to 7 is low. Im about 9 and i cant see where else i can even drop (not that im trying)

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 02:52 PM
About three weeks ago I started adding HIIT on to my workouts as a means to trim down for the summer (target is 7% body fat down from 17). Ever since then I've had a lot of difficulty falling asleep, whereas normally I conk out immediately. I can't help but assume there's some correlation. Naturally I'm more tired than usual after the workouts so it's odd that I'd have difficulty turning off at night.

Guarantee you're way underestimating those bf % numbers...

To answer your question, the sleep issue is much more likely a result of a diet change than HIIT.

underrated29
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Play hockey, the ultimate HIIT training out there. You will slapping plenty good afterward.

Are you using any workout sups like amped, NOX, buzzsaw? Or taking creatine. Or doing this later at night?

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
yeah, but getting to 7 is low. Im about 9 and i cant see where else i can even drop (not that im trying)

Difference between 6 and 9 is wanting the ripped look where your veins are bulging out all through your arms.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Play hockey, the ultimate HIIT training out there. You will slapping plenty good afterward.

Are you using any workout sups like amped, NOX, buzzsaw? Or taking creatine. Or doing this later at night?

I'd recommend either Jack3d, C4, 1MR or NO Explode. C4 also makes a creatine free formula if you're looking to use a buffered creatine like Kre-alkylne.

ZONA
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
sleep? What's that? I sleep on average 25 hours a week. Usually 1 or 2 nights a week without sleep at all. Not by choice, wish I could sleep more but the ole thinker just keeps on rollin, working out or not. Has nothing to do with how tired your body is, your mind just has alot going on right now.

strafen
03-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Anyone ever had a similar experience? I usually workout in the evening...
Not HIIT, but moderate enough. running the treadmill for .5 hour, doing lots of cardio and light weight lifting to maintain the body toned...
I do other exercises after the treadmill session, and I haven't had any issues sleeping...

Are you taking any supplements?
If you are, then don't take it late afternoon...
You may want to take it 3 hours earlier than usual, and go from there.
Most of all fat-burning supplements are not recommended to be taken more than twice a day, preferrably in the early am and at noon the second one at the latest.
That stuff stays in your system long enough, you don't need to take any before working out, unless you workout in the morning...

Chris
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Guarantee you're way underestimating those bf % numbers...

To answer your question, the sleep issue is much more likely a result of a diet change than HIIT.

I used this guy (actually got my buddy whose a trainer to show me how to do it). I'm a naturally skinny dude.

http://www.calculatingbodyfat.net/wp-content/uploads/13_4_orig.jpg

Would eating less or more make it harder to sleep? I'm definitely eating less but not at 1600 yet which the program I'm on suggests (Visual Impact Muscle Building - a lot of people think this thing is bs - I'm seeing results).

HIIT is a fun challenge. I hated doing it on the treadmill at first but now I'm getting used to it. I'm doing 30 seconds all out with 60 resting and I'm hoping to get down to 30-30 in three weeks time. To be honest 14 on the treadmill doesn't quite feel like it's all out (it's very close, I'm not the fastest runner) but I get knackered quickly.

MileHighMagic
03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Are you eating right before you hit the sack? If so, try to just have a shake after your workout and don't eat anything two hours before bed.

Chris
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Are you eating right before you hit the sack? If so, try to just have a shake after your workout and don't eat anything two hours before bed.

No, actually I used to do that when I was trying to gain weight (some casein for overnight) but I've actually cut this out.

It's very possible it's unrelated. Was just curious since I didn't find anything on the usual sites. I also can't find a half decent fitness forum outside of bodybuilding.com (not the look I'm after).

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Maybe if you tan then do laundry you'll be tired.

GTL

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 03:09 PM
I used this guy (actually got my buddy whose a trainer to show me how to do it). I'm a naturally skinny dude.

http://www.calculatingbodyfat.net/wp-content/uploads/13_4_orig.jpg

Would eating less or more make it harder to sleep? I'm definitely eating less but not at 1600 yet which the program I'm on suggests (Visual Impact Muscle Building - a lot of people think this thing is bs - I'm seeing results).

HIIT is a fun challenge. I hated doing it on the treadmill at first but now I'm getting used to it. I'm doing 30 seconds all out with 60 resting and I'm hoping to get down to 30-30 in three weeks time. To be honest 14 on the treadmill doesn't quite feel like it's all out (it's very close, I'm not the fastest runner) but I get knackered quickly.

Calipers are far from accurate. I'm just saying what you think is 7% is probably more like 12.

Too much of a deficit or too much of a surplus can make it difficult to sleep, but its GENERALLY most commonly associated with carb depletion. Did you cut carbs way back?

Either way, my suggestion would be to not change a thing and just pop a couple benedryl an hour before bed to make sleeping easier :)

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
No, actually I used to do that when I was trying to gain weight (some casein for overnight) but I've actually cut this out.

It's very possible it's unrelated. Was just curious since I didn't find anything on the usual sites. I also can't find a half decent fitness forum outside of bodybuilding.com (not the look I'm after).

::)

They have every "look"

SonOfLe-loLang
03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Calipers are far from accurate. I'm just saying what you think is 7% is probably more like 12.
Too much of a deficit or too much of a surplus can make it difficult to sleep, but its GENERALLY most commonly associated with carb depletion. Did you cut carbs way back?

Either way, my suggestion would be to not change a thing and just pop a couple benedryl an hour before bed to make sleeping easier :)

Thats what i was getting at. 7 percent is dang low. I know a guy who runs triathalons and sometimes, during training, he gets down to 4-5 percent and his skin is like paper.

Agree with benedryl..or like tylonol simply sleep...which is essentially the same thing

Kaylore
03-28-2012, 03:16 PM

May I ask what you were doing to do this?

Chris
03-28-2012, 03:17 PM
::)

They have every "look"

I will give it another look.

Interesting info here. I haven't really cut back on the carbs. I've been eating less saturated fat and less sodium, that's for sure.

If I can get to 12 by the second week of May (beach trip) I will be ecstatic.

Thanks all.

LGM
03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Lots of bro science out there.

Eating before bed doesn't really effect most people; in fact, I have a cup of cottage cheese or protein shake with peanut butter right before bed.

Working out before bed can also effect sleep patterns, though I've always passed out more easily after a good run at night.

As Rev said, it very well could be diet; depends on sugar/stimulants taken after 6pm, including drug interactions (weight loss drugs, etc.)

If it continues, you might try something like melatonin to help you get to sleep.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
May I ask what you were doing to do this?

Counting water loss toward bf...

Interesting info here. I haven't really cut back on the carbs. I've been eating less saturated fat and less sodium, that's for sure.

Thanks all.

I just shed 50 lbs in 12 weeks. You can do it if you work hard enough.

Look into intermittent fasting (leangains.com), eat clean at a 500-1000 cal deficit, do carb depleted cardio, and lift heavy.

Mountain Bronco
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
If anyone has an informed opinion about supplements and if a person should be taking them I would be appreciative to hear about it.

I change up my workouts quite a bit, but a general summary is:

3-4 Weight Sessions a week (full body)
2-3 longer medium intensity cardio sessions a week (rotate between long steep hikes, alpine touring, road bike, 4-5 mile runs and swimming) sometimes the same day as a weight session.
2 HIIT type workouts (usually the same day as a weight session)

I don't take any supplements at this time. Diet consists of a fruit smoothy with whey protein added for breakfast, salad with protein or similar for lunch and a portion of lean protein plus a green veggie for dinner. Nuts and grannola are my typical snacks.

I stayed on this type of diet and work out routine last year for about 8 months and lost 22 pounds, feel off the routine (still worked out, but not as much and ate junk, junk, junk) about 4 months and gained 12 back and have now been on it for about a month and lost 4 so far, but feel better about maintaining this time year round as I have adjusted a bit.

Anyway, any recommended supplements and why would be appreciated.

Sorry to thread jack.

cmhargrove
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM

There is so much I want to say right now.... (biting tongue)

LGM
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
The only supplement I'd routinely suggest is Creatine Monohydrate, and a good Multi.

Other than that, it really just depends on your overall goal (mass, endurance, etc.)

Chris
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Counting water loss toward bf...

I just shed 50 lbs in 12 weeks. You can do it if you work hard enough.

Look into intermittent fasting (leangains.com), eat clean at a 500-1000 cal deficit, do carb depleted cardio, and lift heavy.

Thanks. I've read some of Rusty Moore's stuff on this. I'm going to cut down to 1400 calories a day this weekend (two protein shakes, a chocolate milk recovery shake and a salad with chicken is what Visual Impact Suggests). Lifting heavy now, cut my reps down. Basically following Visual Impact to a tee. I'll soon be adding in 30 mins of Steady State on top of HIIT.

What is the most effective way to measure body fat that you can do on your own?

tsiguy96
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Thanks all.

eating the same (or more probably, if you are on a low fat diet) carbs and less saturated fat isnt a very efficient way to lose weight. all that insulin stuff still floating around in huge levels.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 03:53 PM

Ok, perhaps calipers are not bioempedence or hydrostatic testing, but the only inaccuracy of calipers are user error.

The best way to ensure that you are measuring accurately is to measure both the 3 site method and 7 site method. Worst you should be off is maybe 1-2 percent.

7% body fat is hard to get down to in 3 months. Most people hit a wall around 8-10% and it takes quite a bit of time to get down the last bit.

hades
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
There is so much I want to say right now.... (biting tongue)

I know, I actually laughed out loud at work, just a little tho!

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
The only supplement I'd routinely suggest is Creatine Monohydrate, and a good Multi.

Other than that, it really just depends on your overall goal (mass, endurance, etc.)

If you do creatine, it must be cycled 2 months on 1 month off unless you use a buffered formula like Kre-alkalyne.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Just don't bother. It's literally meaningless anyway.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks. I've read some of Rusty Moore's stuff on this. I'm going to cut down to 1400 calories a day this weekend (two protein shakes, a chocolate milk recovery shake and a salad with chicken is what Visual Impact Suggests). Lifting heavy now, cut my reps down. Basically following Visual Impact to a tee. I'll soon be adding in 30 mins of Steady State on top of HIIT.

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

Use this site, it includes many different methods using calipers. If you find a consistent number between the different methods, you are doing it right and if it varies a lot you are doing it poorly.

However, the most accurate ways are bioempedance and hydrostatic testing. Both of which you can likely find available for a cost at a good gym. Digital scales that calculate body fat don't actually measure anything, its just an algorithm based on your BMI.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Use this site, it includes many different methods using calipers. If you find a consistent number between the different methods, you are doing it right and if it varies a lot you are doing it poorly.

However, the most accurate ways are bioempedance and hydrostatic testing. Both of which you can likely find available for a cost at a good gym. Digital scales that calculate body fat don't actually measure anything, its just an algorithm based on your BMI.

Waste of money.

If you're that obsessed with finding your bf% for whatever reason, just call your local university. Most will do it for free and provide you with a LOT of other information as well after the testing.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Waste of money.

If you're that obsessed with finding your bf% for whatever reason, just call your local university. Most will do it for free and provide you with a LOT of other information as well after the testing.

The site is free for the calculator dude, ignore the software at the bottom of the page.

Navy Broncos Fan
03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
I Crossfit 5 days a week and I know if I work out after about 4pm I will be still pumped up to much by my normal 10ish bedtime.

I would say try to get your workouts in during the morning or before 2pm.

Chris
03-28-2012, 04:17 PM
I Crossfit 5 days a week and I know if I work out after about 4pm I will be still pumped up to much by my normal 10ish bedtime.

I work out between 2 and 4 (varies slightly) but I go to bed around 1. I'll try to do it a bit earlier.

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
I've had a hard time falling to sleep also but I think it's because we signed Manning

zdoor
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
It's likely your metabolism ramping up causing you difficulty sleeping. Have you changed your diet as well as your workout?

mkporter
03-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Most scales that measure BF do a low quality impedance measurement from one foot to the other. The results are quite variant depending on your hydration level. Better hydrated = more conductive = lower BF measurement. You will also measure lower body fat if your feet are sweaty, as there is a better electrical contact between you and the scale. We have one at home, and I've seen 4% variation in measurement in the same day.

myMind
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
On a slightly related note:

Is it healthy to consume raw eggs as a source of protein after a workout?

Cito Pelon
03-28-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm thinking you should come to my house and do some pick and shovel work I have planned. You'll be going out like a light when I get done with you. And you'll find muscles you never knew you had before.

underrated29
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Lol guys, auto correct took out sleeping....lmao, I like it better as slapping now anyway.

Chris- one easily overlooked item is water. If you are dehydrated you will not sleep well. Could be as simple as that. Down an extra glass or two of water than normal, might just do the trick.

TheReverend
03-28-2012, 06:05 PM

No. If you want to do that grab liquid eggs/egg whites. They've been heated to a temp that kills the bad stuff before being packaged.

LGM
03-28-2012, 06:20 PM
If you do creatine, it must be cycled 2 months on 1 month off unless you use a buffered formula like Kre-alkalyne.

No conclusive studies suggest that. It can be done either way; I get better results ramping up then continuing till contest time.

I did come off everything after competitions for a while though.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Most scales that measure BF do a low quality impedance measurement from one foot to the other. The results are quite variant depending on your hydration level. Better hydrated = more conductive = lower BF measurement. You will also measure lower body fat if your feet are sweaty, as there is a better electrical contact between you and the scale. We have one at home, and I've seen 4% variation in measurement in the same day.

Just make sure the scale actually says "measures body fat" and not calculates. There is a difference.

Cosmo
03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
No conclusive studies suggest that. It can be done either way; I get better results ramping up then continuing till contest time.

I did come off everything after competitions for a while though.

You're right, but it is common practice, for good or bad reasons.

LGM
03-28-2012, 06:30 PM
You're right, but it is common practice, for good or bad reasons.

Yup. Just got to figure out what works best for you.

KillerBronco#76
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM

I used to have a trainer that was a training partner with jack LaLanne. he had trained several NFL athletes not to mention and couple NBA players. Most recently Mikel Leshoure, he pushed a diet of:

Olive Oil : 2-3 cups a day
Raw Eggs: 15-30 a day
yogurt : 2 pounds a day
Dessicated Beef liver tablets: 30-50 a day
Animal Pak multi vitamin:
Vegetable juice: selfmade if you can afford it.
Oatmeal : main source of carbs
Peanut butter: snack
cottage Cheese: snack
whey protein: before, during and after workout.

While this may seem like too many calories, these were athletes who trained every day and could handle it. Most of there body fat % were in the 4-12 range with 4 tending to be wrestlers and runners, the higher going to the football players. I know a number of athletes that have followed this with alot of success. Some of them getting onto NFL teams most were at least Div. 1 athletes in college.

I can't ever remember hearing of anyone getting sick from the eggs and like I said there were quite a few people all following pretty close to the same diet. I have personally gone through periods where I would religiously consume 25 raw eggs a day for a year straight, never had a single problem.

Yet there is of course the inherent risk you could get sick, but the chances are extremely low.

Dedhed
03-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Difference between 6 and 9 is wanting the ripped look where your veins are bulging out all through your arms.

I actually think the difference is enjoying great Cabernet with a nice filet and herb roasted potatoes as opposed to gagging down 6 skinless chicken breasts and steamed broccoli.

RubberDuckie24
03-28-2012, 08:49 PM
If anyone has an informed opinion about supplements and if a person should be taking them I would be appreciative to hear about it.

I change up my workouts quite a bit, but a general summary is:

3-4 Weight Sessions a week (full body)
2-3 longer medium intensity cardio sessions a week (rotate between long steep hikes, alpine touring, road bike, 4-5 mile runs and swimming) sometimes the same day as a weight session.
2 HIIT type workouts (usually the same day as a weight session)

I don't take any supplements at this time. Diet consists of a fruit smoothy with whey protein added for breakfast, salad with protein or similar for lunch and a portion of lean protein plus a green veggie for dinner. Nuts and grannola are my typical snacks.

I stayed on this type of diet and work out routine last year for about 8 months and lost 22 pounds, feel off the routine (still worked out, but not as much and ate junk, junk, junk) about 4 months and gained 12 back and have now been on it for about a month and lost 4 so far, but feel better about maintaining this time year round as I have adjusted a bit.

Anyway, any recommended supplements and why would be appreciated.

Sorry to thread jack.

I would suggest creatine ethyl ester, fish oil pills, a multivitamin and a protein shake if you have a hard time getting in your needed protein intake.

Creatine Ethyl Ester (and for those who take creatine monohydrate, listen up, I used to take that) is basically creatine monohydrate without the bloating effects. No need to go through a loading phase, has all the benefits of creatine monohydrate without the water bloating. However I will warn that it tastes HORRIBLE. I mean literally you can't mix it with anything (I take 5g a day), it will completely overwhelm anything you mix it with. Personally I mix it with a small amount of water, shoot it, then chase it with a juice. It tastes bad, and the only reason I don't do pill form is because it's so much cheaper in powder.
http://www.realsolutionsmag.com/ezine/44/issue44b.asp
(This article basically compares creatine monohydrate to creatine ethyl ester

Fish oil pills (highly suggest going pills in this one, as it's just as cheap and fish oil tastes horrible) are very good for your joints and overall health upkeep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

Multivitamin and protein powders are fairly self explanatory, but it sounds like you have a well balanced diet.

There are a ton of supplements you can take that will do this and that to help you, these are the ones I have PERSONALLY found to have the biggest effect (minus the fish oil pills and multivitamin, I can't really "feel" the effect nor does it have any directly tangible benefits, but I know through the research how much it supposedly helps.

Also, to anyone that has taken the time to read this, I would HIGHLY suggest incorporating some form of yoga or full body stretching routine into their regimen. I personally do it for the benefits of the flexibility being that I am an avid soccer player, but it also makes you feel AMAZING and from what I have researched the benefits can be tremendous, especially later on in life when it all starts to "catch up to you."

However I suggest you take everything with a grain of salt, you're going to hear different suggestions from anyone and everyone. Do your research, find out what is best for you and what you want to put in your body, and act accordingly. :sunshine:

underrated29
03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I would suggest creatine ethyl ester, fish oil pills, a multivitamin and a protein shake if you have a hard time getting in your needed protein intake.

Creatine Ethyl Ester (and for those who take creatine monohydrate, listen up, I used to take that) is basically creatine monohydrate without the bloating effects. No need to go through a loading phase, has all the benefits of creatine monohydrate without the water bloating. However I will warn that it tastes HORRIBLE. I mean literally you can't mix it with anything (I take 5g a day), it will completely overwhelm anything you mix it with. Personally I mix it with a small amount of water, shoot it, then chase it with a juice. It tastes bad, and the only reason I don't do pill form is because it's so much cheaper in powder.
http://www.realsolutionsmag.com/ezine/44/issue44b.asp
(This article basically compares creatine monohydrate to creatine ethyl ester

Fish oil pills (highly suggest going pills in this one, as it's just as cheap and fish oil tastes horrible) are very good for your joints and overall health upkeep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

Multivitamin and protein powders are fairly self explanatory, but it sounds like you have a well balanced diet.

There are a ton of supplements you can take that will do this and that to help you, these are the ones I have PERSONALLY found to have the biggest effect (minus the fish oil pills and multivitamin, I can't really "feel" the effect nor does it have any directly tangible benefits, but I know through the research how much it supposedly helps.

Also, to anyone that has taken the time to read this, I would HIGHLY suggest incorporating some form of yoga or full body stretching routine into their regimen. I personally do it for the benefits of the flexibility being that I am an avid soccer player, but it also makes you feel AMAZING and from what I have researched the benefits can be tremendous, especially later on in life when it all starts to "catch up to you."

However I suggest you take everything with a grain of salt, you're going to hear different suggestions from anyone and everyone. Do your research, find out what is best for you and what you want to put in your body, and act accordingly. :sunshine:

I've never taken fish oil pills , but I have been told to freeze the pills otherwise you could be burping up fish oil taste all day long. What have you noticed?

RubberDuckie24
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I've never taken fish oil pills , but I have been told to freeze the pills otherwise you could be burping up fish oil taste all day long. What have you noticed?

Myself personally, absolutely nothing, and that's with me taking three 1000mg pills, at once, a day. I had problems with the fish oil NOT in pill form (it's just... disgusting. You really don't want to try it).

Just make sure you take the pills along with a meal and you *should* be fine.

loborugger
03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Magnesium. It will also help with the constipation if you have any.

wandlc
03-28-2012, 09:43 PM

That is total BS

cmhargrove
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Can we go ahead and merge this with the "bacon" thread?

maher_tyler
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
If your looking for good supplements, I highly reccomend Complete Nutrition. Their protein is by far the best tasting I've ever used (V-Core Chocolate). Great pre- workout stuff as well.

www.completenutrition.com

They give good deals also. Just bought a fat burning sup yesterday. I wanted the 180 pill bottle but they only had the 90...I got 2 of those and one for half off.

Fedaykin
03-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Sleeping problems are potentially the result of over training or under eating. Whats your diet and workout regime like? If you are trying to lose 10% body fat in two months you're at risk for these.

underrated29
03-28-2012, 11:31 PM
If your looking for good supplements, I highly reccomend Complete Nutrition. Their protein is by far the best tasting I've ever used (V-Core Chocolate). Great pre- workout stuff as well.

www.completenutrition.com

They give good deals also. Just bought a fat burning sup yesterday. I wanted the 180 pill bottle but they only had the 90...I got 2 of those and one for half off.

Is this the same as truenutrtion.com? Formerly trueprotein.com?

I get all my stuff from these places-well same place now. Id give a similiar review for them. Might have to check out your place and see if its the same place, or better...or worse.

tsiguy96
03-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Just don't bother. It's literally meaningless anyway.

disagree, for one major reason. calipers are not entirely accurate of course, but they are reliable especially if you have the same tester perform it on you. you will get consistent results (even if they are consistently off 3-5%, they will ALWAYS be off that amount). its a cheap, easy way to roughly track progress. or, the smarter and more effective way, take a picture every week and write your weight on the back of it.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 06:13 AM
disagree, for one major reason. calipers are not entirely accurate of course, but they are reliable especially if you have the same tester perform it on you. you will get consistent results (even if they are consistently off 3-5%, they will ALWAYS be off that amount). its a cheap, easy way to roughly track progress. or, the smarter and more effective way, take a picture every week and write your weight on the back of it.

Did you just argue with yourself in a circle to end up agreeing with me? :)

tsiguy96
03-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Did you just argue with yourself in a circle to end up agreeing with me? :)

nope, saying i disagree with the idea that calipers are worthless. but i agree with the idea that there are better methods :)

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 06:53 AM
nope, saying i disagree with the idea that calipers are worthless. but i agree with the idea that there are better methods :)

I said knowing your bf % is meaningless...

Cosmo
03-29-2012, 08:21 AM
That is total BS

Way to make your point. A+

Chris
03-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Sleeping problems are potentially the result of over training or under eating. Whats your diet and workout regime like? If you are trying to lose 10% body fat in two months you're at risk for these.

Right now I'm at about 2000 calories a day working out five times a week (2 days on one day off). I lift for an hour (I always run a little long) then do HIIT for 20 minutes. Recovery shake is two large nesquik chocolate milks (there is a lot of research in favour of this option because it's low in fat, has enough protein and restores your glycogen quickly). I may not be drinking enough water outside the gym. I actually drank more water yesterday and slept better.

Tomorrow I'm cutting down to 1600 cals a day and will add 20 or 30 minutes of steady state cardio after the HIIT.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Right now I'm at about 2000 calories a day working out five times a week (2 days on one day off). I lift for an hour (I always run a little long) then do HIIT for 20 minutes. Recovery shake is two large nesquik chocolate milks (there is a lot of research in favour of this option because it's low in fat, has enough protein and restores your glycogen quickly). I may not be drinking enough water outside the gym. I actually drank more water yesterday and slept better.

Tomorrow I'm cutting down to 1600 cals a day.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/Rydiculous/seinfield.gif

Chris
03-29-2012, 10:08 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/Rydiculous/seinfield.gif

What now?

Mountain Bronco
03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the information Rubber Ducky, even though I have played sports my entire life I literally have no knowledge of any type of supplements, so it gives me a place to start.

tsiguy96
03-29-2012, 01:37 PM

Tomorrow I'm cutting down to 1600 cals a day and will add 20 or 30 minutes of steady state cardio after the HIIT.

stop cutting out fat and start cutting out horse**** processed food. the vast majority of people who go on low fat diets then justify eating ****ty carbs because they are low in fat. worry about big picture. run less, lift more, eat better.

maher_tyler
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Is this the same as truenutrtion.com? Formerly trueprotein.com?

I get all my stuff from these places-well same place now. Id give a similiar review for them. Might have to check out your place and see if its the same place, or better...or worse.

I don't think so...i have never heard of the others you listed. They are based out of North Dakota. GNC is an after thought after going to this place. They have all sorts of supplements. I haven't seen any that have worse than 4 out of 5 stars under customer reviews. I use the V-Core Protein and is by far the best tasting protein i've used..the reviews don't lie. I bought some stuff there back in Decemeber, they gave me the 5 lb tub of V-Core for half off and a free mixing cup. They always have good deals going on. The first monday, tuesday & wedneday of the month, you can get 22% off your purchase with the "membership" thing on your key chain. If you call the store closest to you, they'll send you stuff through the mail. The female at the one here in Tucson said 2 days.

Cosmo
03-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Its not just about getting carbs & protein back on a recovery drink. Where are you getting your Essential Amino Acids? L-Glutamine is specifically needed by muscle and I guarantee that Nesquik doesn't have it.

My suggestions are as follows:

1. 3 days weight training, 2 days cardio, 1 day yoga if you can do 6 days a week.

2. Pre-workout if you start early morning.

3. 50% Protein, 30% Carbs, 20% Fats on a 1000 calorie deficit. For most men this would be between 1500 - 2200.

4. Get a good recovery drink for lifting & cardio days. There are plenty out there that are fine. Supplement L-Glutamine if your recovery drink doesn't have 5000mg.

5. Do not eat 2-3 hours before bed. Buy Casein Protein if you struggle with being hungry at night, it is a slower digesting protein.

6. Eat non-processed foods and avoid too much dairy. I.e. Chicken breasts, whole wheat breads with no fillers, preservatives or artifical flavorings, etc.

7. Write everything down. Record weights, reps, times as well as your measurements on a daily/weekly basis. Nothing helps more with motivation than to see results.

8. Well, I'll add to the list if I can think of more.

Chris
03-29-2012, 04:46 PM
I get glutamine in my regular protein shakes (Gold Standard Natural Whey) but you're right not in my recovery drink. I will reconsider. I wish there was a dedicated forum for the routine I'm on. I've stopped with the casein. I used to take that before bed.

Per #6 - What is considered too much dairy and why is this bad? I drink milk, eat yoghurt but that's about it. I've never eaten much processed food both by choice, by virtue of being in NYC where higher quality products are widespread and the fact that I'm gluten intolerant. I eat a good deal of healthy fat - primarily avocados and hummus. How many grams of fat do you guys recommend consuming per day? Right now I'm at about 60.

7. Do it. I use the Body Minder Journal (used to be sold at GNC but I bought my latest off amazon). I can't believe I ever worked out without doing that.

Thank you. Again. All of you.

Chris
03-29-2012, 04:53 PM

I've never tied fish oils into fitness but they really made a difference in my mental acuity within a few weeks of taking them regularly. The brand I use was developed by a Harvard research group and rarely gives me fish burps (they did once when I got home drunk and chewed into one raw).

www.omegabrite.com

They help with mood, something I struggled with in years past. I've never had a "bad" winter since.

Ray Finkle
03-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I get glutamine in my regular protein shakes (Gold Standard Natural Whey) but you're right not in my recovery drink. I will reconsider. I wish there was a dedicated forum for the routine I'm on. I've stopped with the casein. I used to take that before bed.

Per #6 - What is considered too much dairy and why is this bad? I drink milk, eat yoghurt but that's about it. I've never eaten much processed food both by choice, by virtue of being in NYC where higher quality products are widespread and the fact that I'm gluten intolerant. I eat a good deal of healthy fat - primarily avocados and hummus. How many grams of fat do you guys recommend consuming per day? Right now I'm at about 60.

7. Do it. I use the Body Minder Journal (used to be sold at GNC but I bought my latest off amazon). I can't believe I ever worked out without doing that.

I'd suggest Optimum Nutrition 100% natural whey. It's better tasting than isopure.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
I'd suggest Optimum Nutrition 100% natural whey. It's better tasting than isopure.

Their mocha capp flavor is the best ****ing thing in the world.

Ray Finkle
03-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Their mocha capp flavor is the best ****ing thing in the world.

OP's? I am shocked how good their shakes taste. I still gag when I see Isopure.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
OP's? I am shocked how good their shakes taste. I still gag when I see Isopure.

ON's

Ray Finkle
03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
ON's

That's what I meant...damn typo...

canadianbroncosfan
03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
ON's

As in Optimum Nutrition? My least favorite protein shake by far.

I switched to Syntha-6, the extra $ is well worth the ability to down the stuff.

TheReverend
03-29-2012, 07:54 PM
As in Optimum Nutrition? My least favorite protein shake by far.

I switched to Syntha-6, the extra $ is well worth the ability to down the stuff.

Wow. I think you're nuts. I LIKE Syntha 6 (esp their cookies & cream) but I dont think its even close.

wandlc
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Way to make your point. A+

Look, I was the first person to sell creatine monohydrate in October of 1993, I started using it in August of 1993. I got my creatine from Spectrum, who sells chemicals etc to Laboratories and research entities. I reviewed all of the research available on creatine at that time. I took creatine monohydrate non-stop for over 5 years based on the reviews of that research. The leading researcher on creatine (who was never sponsored by any manufacturer) took creatine for longevity purposes continuously for many years. All of the different forms of creatine on the market are basically for marketing purposes, none work any better than the other. They all have different tastes and side effects, but essentially work the same. If you have water issues with monohydrate, which I never did, use citrate or malate if you can find them. Buffering creatine really doesn't do much other than maybe allow certain individuals to avoid a particular side effect.

I personally take the malate form because it is inexpensive, works, has a neutral taste, provides a krebs cycle intermediate and mixes well for me. I had my best results from pure strength without weight gain from citrate form, unfortunately it is hard to find or not manufatured by Degussa (who purchased the manufacturing process rights to creatine from SKW and is now AlzChem as of 2011) anymore. Bottom line is use what is the least expensive form that your body tolerates. Also, for the contact sports people out there, creatine helps to prevent or lessen the severity of concussions and aids in the recovery from concussions.

wandlc
03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
For whey proteins, if the unflavored whey protein isn't palatable in water and mix and stay translucent, it is of inferior quality. A good agglomerated whey protein will mix easily and be easily flavored. Ion exchange whey protein or enzymatically treated whey are not your best options from a nutrition standpoint. You lose all immune benefits and other health benefits of the whey protein.

McDman
03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Myself personally, absolutely nothing, and that's with me taking three 1000mg pills, at once, a day. I had problems with the fish oil NOT in pill form (it's just... disgusting. You really don't want to try it).

Just make sure you take the pills along with a meal and you *should* be fine.

I've taken fish oil pills and if you don't eat heavy right after you will be burping up some nasty stuff.

maher_tyler
03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Easily the best tasting protein i've had...i highly reccomend this.

http://www.completenutrition.com/all_products/product_detail?object=6085

toad
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
As a fitness hobbiest/enthusiast, as others have implied, I think its basically impossible to drop from 17% body fat to 7% "before summer" (unless drugs/steriods are involved and even then I think it would be difficult).

A. That's a drastic drop in body fat % (not to be confused with, or necessarily related to, body weight).
B. 7% is OUTRAGEOUSLY (ie. uncommonly) shredded.

Most people way underestimate their body fat %.

You can lose a lot of WEIGHT between now and the summer but to lose weight you need a calorie deficit which is also going to burn muscle mass; you can do things to limit/minimize it but you can't stop it.

The best thing I can recommend is determine your maintenance calories, drop that by 20-25%, and make sure to hit your macros (specifically 1-1.5 grams protein per pound of lean body mass, .5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass, fill in with healthy carbs such fibrous vegtables, whole grains, fruit).

Good luck and have fun!

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 12:08 PM
As a fitness hobbiest/enthusiast, as others have implied, I think its basically impossible to drop from 17% body fat to 7% "before summer" (unless drugs/steriods are involved and even then I think it would be difficult).

A. That's a drastic drop in body fat % (not to be confused with, or necessarily related to, body weight).
B. 7% is OUTRAGEOUSLY (ie. uncommonly) shredded.

Most people way underestimate their body fat %.

You can lose a lot of WEIGHT between now and the summer but to lose weight you need a calorie deficit which is also going to burn muscle mass; you can do things to limit/minimize it but you can't stop it.

The best thing I can recommend is determine your maintenance calories, drop that by 20-25%, and make sure to hit your macros (specifically 1-1.5 grams protein per pound of lean body mass, .5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass, fill in with healthy carbs such fibrous vegtables, whole grains, fruit).

Good luck and have fun!

Again, that ^

If you THINK you're 17%, you're probably way closer to 27%

If you're aiming for what you think is 7%... well 12 is probably what you're actually shooting for.

canadianbroncosfan
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
To put Rev's point into perspective, Ronnie Coleman competes with a body fat % between 2-5%, 7% isn't that much higher.

TonyR
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM
How about general weight gain for someone who is thin? Eat more/different? Protein supplements? Suggestions?

maher_tyler
03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
How about general weight gain for someone who is thin? Eat more/different? Protein supplements? Suggestions?

http://www.completenutrition.com/all_products/sports_nutrition;jsessionid=FE344F4B9E7111C5A6E323 53E82C8ED6.vipa-01a?node=5829

Chris
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Again, that ^

If you're aiming for what you think is 7%... well 12 is probably what you're actually shooting for.

First of all I appreciate all the info. Good to get some gym talk going on the mane.

A few of the core ideas behind the program I'm on, "Visual Impact Muscle Building", fly in the face of conventional wisdom. You do three phases and a bonus face. Phase three is the HIIT + Steady State + heavy lifting. You're consuming 8 to 10 times your target weight in calories so if I want to trim down to 170 then I'd be eating 1700 calories a day. I suspect this is just a rough calculation for simplicity's sake. I'm sure there's a better way to know where I need to be. Tips? 2200 was my maintenance. Phase 3 will make you look smaller, the idea being that you stay in this state for two months plus to let your skin adjust then cycle in creatine while returning to phase 1 (sarcoplasmic hypertrophy) just a few weeks before "an event". I'm obviously ****ing with the timeline but that's supposedly ok you just won't get the same benefit.

As for body fat, I'm 17% guys. Endomorph family. I'm not a big dude and I swam competitively for years. I suppose that got my metabolism going early. I also grew up in a place called THE ASIA where everyone was smaller (even the white people like me) and we ate a lot less fried, fatty stuff all the time (sodium is another story). I was 11% in 2004 but also weighed ~155 (unhealthy time - I lost 20 pounds on a stupid low carb diet). I'm at 179 now so naturally I've put on some fat as well as muscle.

Will look into these different protein brands.

Chris
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM

What I've learnt - bare in mind there are people that are a lot more well read here (that's a disclaimer to prevent the inevitable ass chewing PAUSE) - More calories than you expend. Clean calories. Healthy fats, whole grains, etc. You may think you're eating a lot but the food might not be calorically (sp?) dense.

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Sigh... Endomorph is the stumpy fat body type...

I think you mean ectomorph.

http://www.how2muscleguide.com/images/BodyType.jpg

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
This guy here is 17% bf:

http://www.musclebomb.com/mikeafter.jpg

This guy here is 10-11% bf:

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2012/03/24/395992/progresspic/1oN0YnkBvdI4qlSQZBKfuGym8XsO578p.jpeg

This guy here is 7% bf:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dtaWqzV6d7M/R3K1-joWv2I/AAAAAAAAAFE/8ziHbw4Bx2s/s320/IFrecompb.bmp

myMind
03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Whats the best pushup to work on my chest?
What about for the triceps?

TheReverend
03-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Heavy bench and incline bench for boff. Guillotine press is a fun upper chest one if you do it safely.

Chris
03-30-2012, 04:57 PM
That's about where I'm at rev. I'm trying to get rid of that fat that just sits around the bottom third of the abs and creates those handles as well as just increasing overall definition.

Fixedmind if you're into pushups narrow pushups work the chest more and the tris less. You can also do dips with your chest "perpendicular" (just more forward and over) and it will get hit. What Rev said is more important though (personally I do incline before flat bench but that might be gym heresy). I rarely do pushups outside of core work.

Cosmo
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Fat free milk is very high in sugars and has many fillers to make it ‘look’ better. Cheese and yogurt are ok, they contain probiotics that are helpful. The biggest issue with milk is pasteurization, it removes everything that once made it remotely healthy. You can get just as much calcium from spinach and broccoli. Greek yogurt is fantastic, but its an acquired taste.

Chris
03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I dig Greek yoghurt ok. So how much sugar should one be consuming when they're trying to cut?

maher_tyler
03-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Chest: Diamond push ups

Triceps: Dips

maher_tyler
03-30-2012, 08:47 PM
That's about where I'm at rev. I'm trying to get rid of that fat that just sits around the bottom third of the abs and creates those handles as well as just increasing overall definition.

Fixedmind if you're into pushups narrow pushups work the chest more and the tris less. You can also do dips with your chest "perpendicular" (just more forward and over) and it will get hit. What Rev said is more important though (personally I do incline before flat bench but that might be gym heresy). I rarely do pushups outside of core work.

Leg lifts will get those lower abs and cardio.

Chris
03-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Leg lifts will get those lower abs and cardio.

Phase 1 of this routine I was doing 4 sets of 70 leg lifts after a leg workout. Those are real energy sappers. Great exercise though as I feel like they make it easier to activate abs / core on everything. That and balance stuff.

myMind
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Heavy bench and incline bench for boff. Guillotine press is a fun upper chest one if you do it safely.

Im starting from 0 basically. I want to use my own body weight (160) to strengthen my core before moving onto weights.

myMind
03-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Chest: Diamond push ups

Triceps: Dips

Will do.

Chris
03-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Im starting from 0 basically. I want to use my own body weight (160) to strengthen my core before moving onto weights.

Good call. Try to do some balance work. You want strong abs, lower back and a good mind-body connection with your glutes.

Hulamau
03-31-2012, 11:37 AM
I've had a hard time falling to sleep also but I think it's because we signed Manning

That's the ticket! :-)

wandlc
03-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Again, that ^

You do realize that over 25% for a man is morbidly obese. For someone that weighs 200 lbs 27% is 54lb of fat. No way the person in the caliper picture is anywhere near 27% bodyfat. If you want to know your bodyfat most accurately get it done by a Dexa scan. As an example $90 at the University of Texas.

Cosmo
03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
I dig Greek yoghurt ok. So how much sugar should one be consuming when they're trying to cut?

My favorite for Greek yogurt is to add Berry Stevia drops from Sprouts (i'm sure you can find it at Natural Grocers or most any health food grocery store). Either that or Honey, if it fits into your Calorie total and percentages.

Chris
04-02-2012, 10:19 AM
On chocolate milk

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/got-milk-wipes-off-iconic-milk-mustache-for-new-campaign-spotlighting-recovery-benefits-of-chocolate-milk-2012-03-12

The Science of Chocolate Milk

Athletes and coaches alike are recognizing the benefits of refueling with lowfat chocolate milk. Nick Folker, USA Swimming Trainer and Head Strength and Conditioning Coach at the University of California, makes chocolate milk a staple on the training menu of his swimmers. "Lowfat chocolate milk delivers the things my athletes really need to recover so they can get the most out of their next workout," said Folker. "It has the right carb to protein ratio scientifically shown to help the body recover, high-quality protein to help repair muscles and fluids and electrolytes to replenish what's lost in sweat. It's so simple, plus it tastes great!"

A growing body of research supports chocolate milk's recovery benefits after strenuous exercise. Most recently, a study published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise suggests that recovering with chocolate milk can give runners a performance edge. Researchers from Connecticut State University, University of Connecticut and Eastern Michigan University, found that when recreational runners drank fat free chocolate milk after a strenuous run, they ran 23 percent longer during a subsequent exercise bout later that day and had a 38 percent increase in markers of muscle building compared to when they drank a carbohydrate-only sports beverage with the same amount of calories.

Chris
07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
So a few months later and I lost 15 pounds while maintaining my lean body mass within half a pound. I went from 18% BF to 12.5% (bit bummed this was short of my goal of 9 but I'm restarting the routine again and hope to get there this time). I went for my annual physical this week and my resting heart rate is down from 60 BPM to 40 BPM (they checked it twice to make sure), which has got me genuinely excited. Now I feel some sort of obligation to start doing Tough Mudders or some sort of endurance competitions (since I think Marathons are bull****). Not sure if Ironman's are my thing... my cousin does them and he's insane. At the very least it's nice to know you can do something to improve your cardiovascular health a **** ton.

Gotta recommend HIIT to everyone.

24champ
07-22-2012, 08:46 PM
So a few months later and I lost 15 pounds while maintaining my lean body mass within half a pound. I went from 18% BF to 12.5% (bit bummed this was short of my goal of 9 but I'm restarting the routine again and hope to get there this time). I went for my annual physical this week and my resting heart rate is down from 60 BPM to 40 BPM (they checked it twice to make sure), which has got me genuinely excited. Now I feel some sort of obligation to start doing Tough Mudders or some sort of endurance competitions (since I think Marathons are bull****). Not sure if Ironman's are my thing... my cousin does them and he's insane. At the very least it's nice to know you can do something to improve your cardiovascular health a **** ton.

Gotta recommend HIIT to everyone.

Curious as to why you think Marathon's are bull****?

Chris
07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Curious as to why you think Marathon's are bull****?

It's more the "I ran a marathon" trend in big cities like New York that get people like some of my more pear shaped friends all the oohs and aahs. In my circles these are the same people that refuse to go to the gym and just think running in a straight line for some indefinite period says something about their toughness and dedication. I appreciate the events for the money they raise, but as a physical endeavour I much prefer tests of strength and cardiovascular fitness in conjunction. I'm willing to bet short bursts of extreme effort are more taxing on the heart (and mind) than just tuning out while you plop your feet one in front of the other over and over.

Marathons run by professional marathon runners... I have respect for, though they certainly don't create the healthiest looking physique.

tsiguy96
07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
It's more the "I ran a marathon" trend in big cities like New York that get people like some of my more pear shaped friends all the oohs and aahs. In my circles these are the same people that refuse to go to the gym and just think running in a straight line for some indefinite period says something about their toughness and dedication. I appreciate the events for the money they raise, but as a physical endeavour I much prefer tests of strength and cardiovascular fitness in conjunction. I'm willing to bet short bursts of extreme effort are more taxing on the heart (and mind) than just tuning out while you plop your feet one in front of the other over and over.

Marathons run by professional marathon runners... I have respect for, though they certainly don't create the healthiest looking physique.

always bugs me too that running a marathon is perceived by many to be the peak of physical fitness. that trend seems to be going down in younger populations though, with the increase in crossfit and warrior dash etc.

broncosteven
07-22-2012, 09:50 PM

I don't do much other than lots of PT exercises. Over the last 3 months I have presented with Lumbar, SI joint, right hip, right knee, right ankle.

I did all exercises one day on, one day off. I did the full course of exercises around 4pm one evening, I iced up after and took some tylenol after and had dinner.

I was sore that night but I took my ambein at 10pm like I do consistently every night. I had the TV off and tried to let the meds work and I woke up an hour later and was typing epic fail on the Mane, which I regret and apologize for, but didn't get to sleep until well after 2am. I think some of that was my nerve damage causing the muscles around my shoulder to twich all night.

I haven't since exercised after 2pm and things are about back to my new normal.

If it were food related you would have noticed on rest days that you couldn't sleep.