PDA

View Full Version : Nike Sues Reebok Over Tebow Jersey Sales

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Nike Sues Reebok Over Tebow Apparel

The lawsuit said demands for Tebow-related Jets apparel was intense last week during a normally subdued time for NFL merchandise sales.

It said Nike, based in Beaverton, Ore., believes Reebok was shipping large volumes of Tebow-related apparel products to retailers for sale to the public this week, damaging Nike's ability to capitalize on a "unique and short-lived opportunity."

Nike Inc. claimed in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court that Reebok International Ltd. has used Tebow's name on Jets-related apparel without permission since it was announced last week that Tebow was traded from the Denver Broncos to New York.

The Tebow trade occurred just before Nike replaces Reebok on Sunday as the supplier of NFL team uniforms.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, claims that Reebok misappropriated publicity rights, interfered with business relationships and unjustly enriched itself because it failed to get Tebow's permission before launching the new products.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Nike-Sues-Reebok-Tim-Tebow-Jets-Apparel-Lawsuit-144655705.html

bfoflcommish
03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
how is this different than the broncos selling the manning jerseys?

vancejohnson82
03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
how is this different than the broncos selling the manning jerseys?

where have you seen those?? i've seen the t-shirts

Lestat
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
no way this can hold up in court, it's free enterprise and people are gonna flock to Nike anyways.

bfoflcommish
03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
where have you seen those?? i've seen the t-shirts

they showed them being sold on 9news last week at the team store, i think it may have been thursday.

vancejohnson82
03-28-2012, 02:21 PM
they showed them being sold on 9news last week at the team store, i think it may have been thursday.

oh,ok....I had just been checking the Online Pro Shop

I'm picking up a Miller jersey anyway

Chris
03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
oh,ok....I had just been checking the Online Pro Shop

I'm picking up a Miller jersey anyway

Wait till next week.

LGM
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
no way this can hold up in court, it's free enterprise and people are gonna flock to Nike anyways.

I read that the rights to print new jerseys expired the week (month?) before the agreement terminates; in effect to allow them to sell off remaining product.

If they printed new jerseys after that, they are in violation and should be sued.

vancejohnson82
03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Wait till next week.

exactly....I've been waiting for goddamn Nike to release theirs already

Lestat
03-28-2012, 02:38 PM
yes but if it was just left over stock to burn through then they still can't sue them for it.
I read that the rights to print new jerseys expired the week (month?) before the agreement terminates; in effect to allow them to sell off remaining product.

If they printed new jerseys after that, they are in violation and should be sued.

LGM
03-28-2012, 02:41 PM
yes but if it was just left over stock to burn through then they still can't sue them for it.

Left over, yes. Nike's point was that the Tebow trade to NJY was made after the deadline; thus, they printed new stock to get in on the Tebow trade.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Couple problems:

1) Nike has no standing to sue for lack of Tebow's consent, especially not in equity (unjust enrichment),
and
2) Calendar reading 101: The sales were made "just before Nike replaces Reebok as the supplier of NFL team uniforms." Sounds like Reebok was making the most of their last few days ... publicity rights were theirs.

Nike couldn't capitalize on this "unique and short-lived opportunity" because it came while Reebok was still the official outfitter.

Lestat
03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
except that all they needed was a backstock of #15 jets jersey's and then slap a Tebow name plate on them. that's still not a new product.
thus they still have no legal leg to stand on.
Left over, yes. Nike's point was that the Tebow trade to NJY was made after the deadline; thus, they printed new stock to get in on the Tebow trade.

g00fyfoot
03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Just judging from a quick online search, it does appear that Tebow Jets Reebok Jerseys are available to purchase, but Manning Broncos Reebok Jerseys are not. NFL shop is selling an approximation of a white Broncos jersey with Manning's name and number, but no manufacturer is shown and it isn't a real jersey (no stripes, Broncos logos on the sleeves which are not on real jerseys). It's interesting that Reebok tried to throw a bunch of Tebow Jerseys out there before the deadline but didn't do the same for Manning jerseys.

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
except that all they needed was a backstock of #15 jets jersey's and then slap a Tebow name plate on them. that's still not a new product.
thus they still have no legal leg to stand on.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2012, 02:56 PM

I think you'd be right if that were the case ... but the article makes no reference to any specific cut-off dates. Reebok and Nike have no contractual relationship, so the complaint is all wishy-washy "right to publicity," "unjust enrichment" stuff.

My guess is the League is po'd at Nike for this. I'm sure they would've rather mediated the dispute in-house.

Rohirrim
03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Nike is probably just trying to find a judge drunk enough to give them an injunction for a couple of days.

BroncoBeavis
03-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I wonder what effect this will have on Players - The Best Sports brand jerseys.

Lestat
03-28-2012, 04:03 PM
yes i'm serious. most jersey manufacturers have a certain amount of ready to go jersey #'s so if a fan orders a custom on they can ship them with the number and all they need is the name plate on the back to say the fans phrase or last name.
so if you slap Tebow's name on it then bam there you go.

capt. Jack
03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Does anybody know how many Tebow, Jets jerseys have been sold? I was just wondering?

Pony Boy
03-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Does anybody know how many Tebow, Jets jerseys have been sold? I was just wondering?

I can't imaging how many have been printed in the back alleys of New York and sold by the street venders.

broncosteven
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Nike Sues Reebok Over Tebow Apparel

The lawsuit said demands for Tebow-related Jets apparel was intense last week during a normally subdued time for NFL merchandise sales.

It said Nike, based in Beaverton, Ore., believes Reebok was shipping large volumes of Tebow-related apparel products to retailers for sale to the public this week, damaging Nike's ability to capitalize on a "unique and short-lived opportunity."

Nike Inc. claimed in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court that Reebok International Ltd. has used Tebow's name on Jets-related apparel without permission since it was announced last week that Tebow was traded from the Denver Broncos to New York.

The Tebow trade occurred just before Nike replaces Reebok on Sunday as the supplier of NFL team uniforms.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, claims that Reebok misappropriated publicity rights, interfered with business relationships and unjustly enriched itself because it failed to get Tebow's permission before launching the new products.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Nike-Sues-Reebok-Tim-Tebow-Jets-Apparel-Lawsuit-144655705.html

Reebok doesn't have much faith in the Tebow!

LGM
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
I think you'd be right if that were the case ... but the article makes no reference to any specific cut-off dates. Reebok and Nike have no contractual relationship, so the complaint is all wishy-washy "right to publicity," "unjust enrichment" stuff.

Yeah, I can't find the link, but if that's the case Reebok could be in trouble.

BroncoMatt
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
And NY doesn't think they have a quarterback controversy. This is just the beginning.

Shiloh_C
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM

I would really be interested about that myself...here's an article I found about it. Apparently they sold 1000 units or what not within an hour...zowie!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/tim-tebow-jets-merchandise-hits-new-york-stores/2012/03/26/gIQALkolcS_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

bfoflcommish
03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Just judging from a quick online search, it does appear that Tebow Jets Reebok Jerseys are available to purchase, but Manning Broncos Reebok Jerseys are not. NFL shop is selling an approximation of a white Broncos jersey with Manning's name and number, but no manufacturer is shown and it isn't a real jersey (no stripes, Broncos logos on the sleeves which are not on real jerseys). It's interesting that Reebok tried to throw a bunch of Tebow Jerseys out there before the deadline but didn't do the same for Manning jerseys.

The manning jerseys were sold AT team store if you would have read my post.

Blueflame
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM

Jets #15 wasn't a retired number; Broncos #18 was (until Manning signed).

BroncoBuff
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Jets #15 wasn't a retired number; Broncos #18 was (until Manning signed).

Hark, that's the sound of deductive reasoning! Almost forgot what is sounded like ....

Give the lady a hand :notworthy

BroncoBuff
03-29-2012, 12:14 AM
It isn't a real jersey, Broncos logos on the sleeves which are not on real jerseys.

What? No, NOT AGAIN!

The league has to crack down on these counterfeit jerseys. The problem reflects poorly on the whole sport.

The blue mesh is so authentic on this one, that's really what fooled me.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/708/81771396.jpg

capt. Jack
03-29-2012, 07:38 AM
I would really be interested about that myself...here's an article I found about it. Apparently they sold 1000 units or what not within an hour...zowie!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/tim-tebow-jets-merchandise-hits-new-york-stores/2012/03/26/gIQALkolcS_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

Thanks for that! He is so popular it is amazing! :-)

Gort
03-29-2012, 09:47 AM

one million.

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/dr-evil.jpg

Shiloh_C
03-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks for that! He is so popular it is amazing! :-)

You're welcome! And yeah, he definitely is! :)

g00fyfoot
03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
What? No, NOT AGAIN!

The league has to crack down on these counterfeit jerseys. The problem reflects poorly on the whole sport.

The blue mesh is so authentic on this one, that's really what fooled me.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/708/81771396.jpg

I was referring to these:

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12793529&cp=12778362&ab=HP_Include_PeytonManning&pageType=shop&parentPage=shop

They want $100 for that.

lolcopter
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM

lol