PDA

View Full Version : Steve Young could have been the Broncos' starting quarterback?

Bronco Rob
03-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Woody Paige: Some QB history in Denver a sore subject

Posted: 03/28/2012 01:00:00 AM MDT By Woody Paige
The Denver Postdenverpost.com

gastronome knows food; a sommelier appreciates wine. Peyton Manning is a quarterback cognoscente.

He can recite every quarterback who played against his father, Archie, in college and the NFL. Many years ago, when I told Peyton I lived in Colorado, he immediately responded that Charles Johnson had taken over at quarterback for an injured Darian Hagan in the second half of the Orange Bowl as the Buffs beat Notre Dame for the national championship.

Manning certainly is aware of Broncos quarterbacks John Elway (his boss) and Tim Tebow (his predecessor), Jay Cutler, Jake Plummer and Frank Tripucka, the first quarterback in Denver who was lured out of retirement in 1960. Eventually, after he again retired, his No. 18 was too. Last week Manning called Tripucka to ask permission to wear the same number. Tripucka agreed, asking in return that Manning win a Super Bowl with the Broncos.

"I'm studying the Broncos' history and their quarterbacks. I want to know it all," Manning told me on the staircase at Dove Valley last week as a team employee pleaded with him to go sign his contract (for $96 million).

Peyton doesn't know, and most people even inside the Broncos' organization don't remember, that another Super Bowl-winning, future Hall of Fame quarterback, recovering from injury, was so close in 2000 to choosing to join the Broncos in a decision that would have been as significant as Manning's.

Steve Young could have been the Broncos' starting quarterback.

For The Rest........http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_20270512/some-qb-history-denver-sore-subject

Borks147
03-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Yeah just read that too. I don't remember that at all, but then again the only Broncos information I really read back then was the Denver Post...no 24/7 twittering, NFL Network or plane trackers.

txtebow
03-28-2012, 06:23 AM
yes, and we could have very well competed in the Super Bowl....

Kaylore
03-28-2012, 06:59 AM
That's funny because I remember it very well. But Steve Young's brain was almost potato salad and he was finally married and decided to do the analyst thing.

spdirty
03-28-2012, 07:02 AM
I remember that. I was against it because I didn't want Young coming in there screwing up Griese's development by making him sit a year or 2.

Shouldve just drafted Brady instead.

montrose
03-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Anybody remember the drawing of Young in a Broncos uniform for Schefter's piece on that whole thing back in 99?

Lestat
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM
i remember that, Young was almost fully done by that time though.

Ray Finkle
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM
I remember it vividly.....he declined and it started the SOB error....

Punisher
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
The ESPN link would of been soo sweet

bronco militia
03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
I remember it vividly.....he declined and it started the SOB error....

the SOB error started in 1999.

maher_tyler
03-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah just read that too. I don't remember that at all, but then again the only Broncos information I really read back then was the Denver Post...no 24/7 twittering, NFL Network or plane trackers.

How could you forget the Mane? Are you out of your element?

bendog
03-28-2012, 07:56 AM

yeah. Young's body wasn't done, but it was time for him to save himslef from early dementia ... assuming he retired soon enough to avoid that horror. Says someting about Shanny though.

Rohirrim
03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
I was against Steve Young taking another step onto a football field. His brains were scrambled.

bendog
03-28-2012, 08:02 AM
I dunno that his brain's scrambled because he did earn a JD after he retired, and that's not all that easy. But looking at the guys from the 70s who are suing, the effects of all those concussions take awhile. And it's not that the dangers were unknown. I played high school with a guy who had a third concussion, and his physician told his family to avoid further contact sports.

Ray Finkle
03-28-2012, 08:27 AM

I've blocked out 1999 from my Denver memory.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-28-2012, 08:28 AM
I remember the whole Young thing well, but wasn't it after Griese's first season? Then he came back and played well?

WolfpackGuy
03-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Young was being looked at for the 2000 season, but he opted to retire.

Ray Finkle
03-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I remember the whole Young thing well, but wasn't it after Griese's first season? Then he came back and played well?

correct. He played really well that season then the shoulder injuries, dog incident, and other issues popped up.

DENVERDUI55
03-28-2012, 08:48 AM
That's funny because I remember it very well. But Steve Young's brain was almost potato salad and he was finally married and decided to do the analyst thing.

I remember that too.

Taco John
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Funny. I was thinking just last night how Jerry Rice was a Bronco for a very short period of time...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/09/05/sports/05cnd-rice.jpg

BroncoBen
03-28-2012, 09:08 AM

That is the way I remember, Steve Young was being told that it was not a good idea to keep playing.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Crap article, Woody is high. Young had just missed basically the entire '99 season. Not only did he NOT consider it - not even for a NANO-second - he was reportedly peeved that Mike gave him such a full-court press, knowing the medical risks, and knowing Mike had just lured Chris Miller out of his three-year retirement, whereupon Miller get his bell rung scary-bad.

And ... From a skills/performance perspective, Steve Young is the BEST QB to ever play the game. Somebody DISAGREE WITH ME I love to argue that point :cuss:

UberBroncoMan
03-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Young was 39 going on 40.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
NFL Vets with head injuries have filed at least three new lawsuits this calendar year against the League. Rypien has mentioned Shanahan's name, don't be surprised if Mike and his Miller-Young involvements make him a star witness.

BroncoBeavis
03-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Good to see BroncoBen has started taking the Heyneck threat seriously.

There's no debating that they're the top two Avateers in the game today.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
i remember this now i was totally against it because i didn't want the guy to become a veggie playing for the broncos .
thank god steve young did the right thing

Houshyamama
03-28-2012, 03:46 PM
George W. Herring (born June 18, 1934 in Gadsden, Alabama) is a former professional American football quarterback and punter in the American Football League. Herring played with the Denver Broncos in 1960 and 1961.
Drafted out of Southern Mississippi in the 16th round, Herring signed instead in Canada and threw eight touchdowns to 20 interceptions in two seasons in the CFL before signing on with the Broncos for the start of the AFL. In Denver, Herring backed up his roommate Frank Tripucka and threw five touchdowns to 23 interceptions while also serving as the team’s punter. Sadly, George had a problem with alcohol and was found homeless on the streets of Denver in 1983. After staying sober for several years, Herring had a relapse in 1994 and committed suicide within two days of his 25-year old son Lance also killing himself. In a bizarre side note, Lance’s stepfather had also committed suicide two months before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Herring

His numbers were Tebow good:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HerrGe00.htm#passing::none

Garcia Bronco
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I remember this. It fell through, but I never knew why.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-28-2012, 03:56 PM
I wanted him to sign, and probably thought he was a pussy for retiring. But i was young, what did i know

Cito Pelon
03-28-2012, 03:59 PM

I think it was George Seifert that kept pulling him off the field in '96, '97 because of the concussions. Seifert may have added a lot of time to his life by doing that. Young didn't like it at the time, but maybe he should thank Seifert for that now.

gunns
03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
I've blocked out 1999 from my Denver memory.

While a crappy overall year we swept the Raiders that year. :)

broncosteven
03-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I remember he flew into DIA and met with Shanny at some hotel conference room and the spin they put on it was that Young wanted to make sure he was doing the right thing by retiring.

I think he might have tried to come back if we had more cap space.

BroncoBuff
03-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Young wanted to make sure he was doing the right thing by retiring.

So he flew to Denver to ask Mike?

The last blow came in a Sept. 27 game at Arizona, a frightening hit that left Young out cold for some 30 seconds with his eighth known concussion and fourth in three years. He endured weeks of postconcussion symptoms including nausea, vomiting, dizziness, headaches and lethargy, and missed the rest of the season.

Tough call ... :ouwknow:

Not to rag on Mike (too late), but wasn't John also angry with him at retirement time? IIRC, John wanted to hang 'em up after '97, but Mike made an "announcement" while they were vacationing.

broncswin
03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Crap article, Woody is high. Young had just missed basically the entire '99 season. Not only did he NOT consider it - not even for a NANO-second - he was reportedly peeved that Mike gave him such a full-court press, knowing the medical risks, and knowing Mike had just lured Chris Miller out of his three-year retirement, whereupon Miller get his bell rung scary-bad.

And ... From a skills/performance perspective, Steve Young is the BEST QB to ever play the game. Somebody DISAGREE WITH ME I love to argue that point :cuss:

I disagree, you sob...how dare you forget Danny Kanel:egbgb:

Wes Mantooth
03-28-2012, 07:43 PM
While a crappy overall year we swept the Raiders that year. :)

And in the end, this is all that matters.

broncosteven
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
So he flew to Denver to ask Mike?

Tough call ... :ouwknow:

Not to rag on Mike (too late), but wasn't John also angry with him at retirement time? IIRC, John wanted to hang 'em up after '97, but Mike made an "announcement" while they were vacationing.

You didn't read my whole post, I said that was the spin they put on it. I bet if we didn't have to let a bunch of FA's walk he would have signed.

Tombstone RJ
03-28-2012, 08:39 PM

yah, this was another bone headed Shanny idea. Young was effectively finished for life due to his concussion history. For some reason Shanny thought his greatness would convince mushy brains to come back for one more year. Young, to his credit, simply refused to be bribed or coerced into returning to the NFL.