PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Lock vs RGIII

Doggcow
03-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes I know I spelled his name wrong, that's intentional since we all know he's already won 4 Superbowls if you've watched ESPN.

Do you think RGIII will be able to do better?

Sarcasm aside, I personally think RGIII will be better.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Luck has been calling his own plays in an NFL style offense. Coached by an NFL head coach. Thats already a step ahead than RG3

vancejohnson82
03-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I heard on the radio today that there is some question about Luck's arm strength....its not like a Chad Pennington or Matt Leinart type of arm (not NFL caliber) but it doesnt leap off the charts like a Cam Newton or Stafford

Doggcow
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Luck has been calling his own plays in an NFL style offense. Coached by an NFL head coach. Thats already a step ahead than RG3

I think we're seeing a new wave of NFL QB's. Newton, Tebow, Freeman, etc, I think RGIII is the next step.

Bronco Boy
03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I think we're seeing a new wave of NFL QB's. Newton, Tebow, Freeman, etc, I think RGIII is the next step.

Freeman? Luck is a better runner than him.

lolcopter
03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah dude freeman blows

I think luck is a huge doucher and I hope he bombs. Just hearing the guy talk makes me think he's missing a chromosome or two

Doggcow
03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah dude freeman blows

I think luck is a huge doucher and I hope he bombs. Just hearing the guy talk makes me think he's missing a chromosome or two

I wasn't saying Freeman was good or anything, just that he's that new sort of wave of QB.

BroncoMan4ever
03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think either are going to be elite at the position. But don't care because we have Peyton

Karenin
03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

One of these things is not like the others.

lolcopter
03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
One of these things is not like the others.

Ed McCaffrey

DENVERDUI55
03-27-2012, 01:20 PM
I heard on the radio today that there is some question about Luck's arm strength....its not like a Chad Pennington or Matt Leinart type of arm (not NFL caliber) but it doesnt leap off the charts like a Cam Newton or Stafford

That's because they are digging for dirt on him. His arm is similar to Mannings. Not a rocket arm and both are mental QB's that excel in reading defenses.

lolcopter
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
That's because they are digging for dirt on him. His arm is similar to Mannings. Not a rocket arm and both are mental QB's that excel in reading college defenses.

ftfy

Because as we all know NFL =/= college

jerseyguy4
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I see RG3 as a new Vick. He's right for the right team, but I wouldn't choose him

Karenin
03-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Ed McCaffrey

nothing to do with skin color.

lolcopter
03-27-2012, 01:25 PM
nothing to do with skin color.

Newton is the only QB listed that's worth anything... but only because RG3 is unknown

Doggcow
03-27-2012, 01:26 PM
That's because they are digging for dirt on him. His arm is similar to Mannings. Not a rocket arm and both are mental QB's that excel in reading defenses.

You don't NEED a rocket arm in the NFL, it's a fallacy.

hookemhess
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Freeman rushed for less than 250 yards this season. He's a big, tall pocket passer and shouldn't be included in this group. I mean, come on... he ran a 4.9 at the combine.

mkporter
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM

It may be because Luck reminds people of Ed McCaffrey, but for some reason people don't realize how good an athlete he really is. His combine numbers were pretty comparable to Cam Newton's. 4.6 40, 36" vert, 10'4" broad jump. Of course, that pales next to Tom Brady's combine numbers: 5.3 40, 24" vert, 8'3" broad jump.

hookemhess
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Doesn't matter; franchise quarterback.

http://i.imgur.com/JCACu.jpg

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
At the combine De Costa said Luck would call 3-4 plays at one time in the huddle. Then improvise accordingly to what he saw from the defense. Jeff George had a rocket arm. I'd take Lucks ability to break a defense down over a rocket arm.

Check Joe Montana's scouting report. They said he didn't have arm strength either.

mkporter
03-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Check Joe Montana's scouting report. They said he didn't have arm strength either.

Joe Montana had a pretty good arm. Comparable to Brian Griese's.

ZONA
03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
At the combine De Costa said Luck would call 3-4 plays at one time in the huddle. Then improvise accordingly to what he saw from the defense. Jeff George had a rocket arm. I'd take Lucks ability to break a defense down over a rocket arm.

This. Unless there is a HUGE question in arm strength where people are saying he can't make all the throws, then you have to look at that. Luck can make all the throws.

elsid13
03-27-2012, 02:12 PM
They both have the potential to be very very good players in the NFL. I wouldn't have been disappointed if Denver had landed either of them.

titan
03-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't think either is an Elway quality prospect. Luck is the better of the two, IMO. More suited for the pro game. RG3 could be great or could be another Vince Young. I wonder how durable RG3 will be especially if Shanahan runs him a lot like Shanny did with Jake Plummer. RG3 did have a serious injury in college.

bombay
03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Luck, and it isn't close.

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Yeah. I go with Luck, by far.

Cito Pelon
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Seems to me from the little I saw of him that Luck does have a weaker kind of arm. But he makes up for it in other areas.

vancejohnson82
03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
wow....RGIII got ONE VOTE!!!!

WTF

Mountain Bronco
03-27-2012, 02:45 PM
RGIII lacks the size to take punishment that Tebow/Newton do in running the ball more, but has a better arm and is faster. Depends on how he works on developing his whole game but I worry about QB's that come out of the spread system unless they are willing to work hard on fundamentals and the mental aspect of the NFL game.

Lucks athleticism is very underrated as well (kinda like Rodgers where he will pick up 25 yards and run away from Dlinemen if you forget about him) His 40 time was damn good as was his vertical leap.

Mountain Bronco
03-27-2012, 02:46 PM
News articles from his pro day say that Luck threw a perfect 70 pass into the wind. Kinda doubt he has arm strength issues if that is the case.

hookemhess
03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
News articles from his pro day say that Luck threw a perfect 70 pass into the wind. Kinda doubt he has arm strength issues if that is the case.

http://youtu.be/LzfLJ7bl7NE

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Yeah, but it was fluttering. :puff:

Pony Boy
03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Not say he's a better QB but RG3 will win more playoff games in the next 5 years.

Pontius Pirate
03-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Luck is going to be in a much better situation with the Colts than RG3 will be in a Dan Snyder owned team.

That said, RG3 has more break-out potential. I think Luck is solid. He just wows me a lot less than RG3.

Bronco Boy
03-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Didnt look very windy. Also the WR dropped it which is obviously the QBs fault.

Carmelo15
03-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I voted RGIII

NUB
03-27-2012, 11:21 PM
RGIII's potential is insane. I believe he will have a superior career if he can stay healthy.

Luck is already polished, that is what he is. He's probably gonna have a rough time in Indy for awhile.

As for arm strength... It's all about velocity. Most QBs can hurl the football 60-yards downfield -- even the "weak armed". Slinging it into tight windows is a different story, nevermind the delivery itself. Cutler can zing passes through tiny spaces while falling backward; Vick in his prime could flick his wrist and send the ball flying effortlessly. Those are the types of plays the Pennington's/Griese's etc. can't pull off. Doesn't make them worse, it's just a different skill set.

Taco John
03-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Mock told you all that RGIII would come out with an arm ready to throw spirals like a fine threaded screw. I dare you to tell that to Jeff Fisher. He's got his head screwed on so tight he has to piss just to get some air. Who can blame him with daughters like that? I would give any one of his daughters a fine threaded screw.

It could be worse for them, I guess. They pawned off McBeavis on Biilichuck. How dimwitted can you be to get rid of that man child, and then take him back when he falls on his face. It's not to hard to figure that. Yesterday I was changing diapers, and today my boy is a man. Biilichuck will probably have McBeavis marching around in diapers before too long.

You can't eliminate diapers...your can only hope to contain them.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=242&dateline=1272959264

Taco John
03-28-2012, 01:23 AM
The best part of being a Grandfather is you don't have to bag diapers. You can just sit in the rockin' chair. If they try to make you change diapers you tell them...well...

Taco John
03-28-2012, 01:32 AM
But don't tell me about changing diapers. I don't have a problem changing diapers. Mocks kittens didn't change their own diapers. I allready bragged about Lisa setting a school record in the 400 hurdles at State. The other two are Valedictorians. They have all gotten scholarships.

Mock's kittens are tight as a sweater so I want them to stay that way... They don't tell, I don't ask...Ha! Someone hurts one tho...I will bring the hammer...

Taco John
03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah, but it was fluttering. :puff:

Buy a vowel, dimwit. I'd hate to be the analyst who picked Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning. No one is putting that on their resume. Beavis traded three picks to get Tebow - the most for one player in the draft since Ryan Leaf. We also traded BM for a second and a third. Didn't Al Davis beating us at home give you a clue?

They deserve eachother. You watch. He will have Beavis running around in diapers. Don't forget Mock told you it would happen.

Taco John
03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
And in true Mock fashion, I killed the thread...

Cito Pelon
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
And in true Mock fashion, I killed the thread...

Is this an anniversary of some kind?

Lestat
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Luck is the surest bet but RGIII's ceiling is higher.
Luck's floor is Matt Ryan, his ceiling is Peyton Manning.
RGIII's floor is Alex Smith, his ceiling is Joe Montana.

Taco John
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Is this an anniversary of some kind?

No, I just miss the old coot and sometimes wonder what he'd say about current issues.

Mock hated Peyton Manning (Mellonhead), and I'd be real curious how he'd deal with this news. I think he'd shrug and be ok with it.

Willynowei
03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I miss mock. That guy was the man.

As for Luck vs. RGIII. I think RGIII is the better prospect in every single aspect except for two areas: footwork and comfort w/ a pro-style offense. I think that makes Luck the surer bet, you know he can run a pro offense, he already did it in college to some extent. His footwork is just immaculate, and that's super important for consistency in accuracy.

But when it comes to the throwing motion, release point, release speed, arm strenght though.... I mean, you name it, every other category, RGIII just blows Luck away.

I still don't know that I'd take RG3 over luck though, i think they are super close because the two areas Luck's good at are so damn important.

We don't know how either reacts under serious d-line pressure. That's gonna make the difference.

EDIT: I want to add one thing, in watching both quarterbacks - RG3 is the more disciplined decision maker - he forces it less. Both are confident in their arms but Luck tends to press more than Rg3.

In their senior seasons in college at least, i feel Rg3 was the more disciplined passer.

Doggcow
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Right now... Alex Smith and Matt Ryan are the same guy imo. Ryan can't win playoff games...

That One Guy
03-28-2012, 06:09 PM

Hmm... you're saying Montana was better than Manning as a passer?

Doggcow
03-28-2012, 06:10 PM

Or that Ryan is 'better' than Smith. I wasn't to sure of his analogy either.

Lestat
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM

not really sure what's confusing about it. Matt Ryan is considered to be a franchise guy who just hasn't got his team over the hump, Manning is considered to be in the top 2 of his era and a chance to be a all time great but lacks the SB wins of others so he normally gets knocked down a peg behind Brady.

Alex Smith is considered to be a nice starter but not a franchise guy, Montana is considered by most to be the best QB ever(i'd rank em Elway,Montana & Marino but that's just me)

Luck is at worst a solid franchise guy, at best he's what they had before in Manning.
RGIII is at worst a solid QB, but not considered a franchise guy, at best his ceiling is the best of all time.

H.I. McDunnough
03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Takin' Manning.

That One Guy
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
not really sure what's confusing about it. Matt Ryan is considered to be a franchise guy who just hasn't got his team over the hump, Manning is considered to be in the top 2 of his era and a chance to be a all time great but lacks the SB wins of others so he normally gets knocked down a peg behind Brady.

Alex Smith is considered to be a nice starter but not a franchise guy, Montana is considered by most to be the best QB ever(i'd rank em Elway,Montana & Marino but that's just me)

Luck is at worst a solid franchise guy, at best he's what they had before in Manning.
RGIII is at worst a solid QB, but not considered a franchise guy, at best his ceiling is the best of all time.

OK, gotcha. I was just clarifying. It's not often you hear a best ever conversation that doesn't include Brady or Manning so I was surprised. To each their own, though.

Lestat
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
it's always been my belief that you don't rank players until their entire body of work is on display and their career is over. Manning and Brady will end up top 5 for sure, but neither is done playing or winning.