PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: The Manning Saga ("Behind the Scenes")

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
"I don't know what to do. What does a free agent do?

—PEYTON MANNING, March 7, to his quarterback mentor and friend, David Cutcliffe

This doesn't happen to legends with time left on the clock. Legends who can play—and Peyton Manning can still play, if his neck holds up—don't jet across the country from one city to the next in a two-week span to showcase themselves. And let teams showcase themselves to him. Manning, the highest profile free agent in NFL history, interviewed the teams that wanted him as much as they asked questions of him.

In a meeting with the Broncos on March 9 the four-time league MVP turned to coach John Fox's two chief aides, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, and inquired, "What about you guys? You one and done?" Meaning: Will you take the first head-coaching offer you get if we have success here in 2012?

The question surprised both men. Del Rio, fired as the Jaguars' coach three months earlier, said all he wanted to do was get back to hand-on coaching and away from the politics of the top job. McCoy said he turned down one head-coaching interview last year because it didn't feel right; he said he'd leave only for the right job.

On March 20, Manning was formally introduced as the Broncos' quarterback. There's been much speculation as to why he chose Denver over a team with a regional, nostalgic edge (Tennessee, where he'd gone to college) or a clearly better roster (San Francisco, which came within a game of the Super Bowl last season). The reason can be summed up in a word: familiarity. Familiarity with Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway, a Hall of Fame quarterback who won two Super Bowls in his late 30s and with whom Manning shared a clear mutual respect. Familiarity, too, with Fox, a former college recruiter who put his skills of persuasion to good use; and with Del Rio, against whom Manning competed for years when Del Rio was coaching Jacksonville in the AFC South. Familiarity with good friend and Denver resident Brandon Stokley, the former Colts receiver, who hosted Manning on his two trips to Colorado during the process (and who might be in camp with the Broncos this summer). Familiarity with the teams on Denver's schedule in 2012, franchises Manning has faced a total of 93 times. "From talking with Peyton during the process," said Tony Dungy, his former coach with the Colts, "I sensed Denver was the closest thing he could find to what he had in Indianapolis."

And this: Manning likes to be in control. Of everything. In this process, he was. Elway played the game perfectly by doing precisely what Manning wanted him to do—make your case, then stay out of the way while I make my call.

The story of Manning's stressful fortnight of freedom includes misdirection car rides, secret meetings and workouts, and words of wisdom from trusted confidants. Here's how it went down."

And much more at:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/1/index.htm

schaaf
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Read that this morning, very good read. I found it interesting how close he was with Fox without ever really having a relationship with him

orinjkrush
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
merge threads?

BroncoBen
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
In a meeting with the Broncos on March 9 the four-time league MVP turned to coach John Fox's two chief aides, offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, and inquired, "What about you guys? You one and done?" Meaning: Will you take the first head-coaching offer you get if we have success here in 2012?

That is awesome... :thumbsup: I did not know Manning asked that question of the coaches. That is something that is always talked about.. coordinators leaving when the team has success.

Bronco Rob
03-27-2012, 10:56 AM
McCoy interviewed with Miami and thought he had the job... thats the reason he canceled his other interview.

ludo21
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
nice job efx

BroncoBeavis
03-27-2012, 11:00 AM
"What about you guys? You one and done?" Meaning: Will you take the first head-coaching offer you get if we have success here in 2012?

The question surprised both men. Del Rio, fired as the Jaguars' coach three months earlier, said all he wanted to do was get back to hand-on coaching and away from the politics of the top job. McCoy said he turned down one head-coaching interview last year because it didn't feel right; he said he'd leave only for the right job.

"Yeah, I just said 'you guys' to be nice, Mike." Manning responded. " I was really only asking Jack. I don't really care where you go. I care even less why. In fact if you say anything else, I'm going to ask that you leave the room. Why don't you go see if you can't rustle us up another Curtis Painter for next year. I hear Caleb Hanie's still on the market. Go get him, and oh I've got some dry cleaning, could you pick that up? I've gotta catch a flight."

Before the editor's cut :)

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Curios as to why the article is dated April 2, 2012......

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 11:02 AM
nice job efx

Please stop giving credit to Xanders.

I still don't know wtf that fatty does for us......

BroncoBeavis
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
McCoy interviewed with Miami and thought he had the job... thats the reason he canceled his other interview.

Yeah, McCoy threw out a whopper there. He was scheduled to interview with the Fins and Raiders. "Holding out for the right opportunity" doesn't begin to describe either of those situations.

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Curios as to why the article is dated April 2, 2012......

The date of the next hard copy edition of SI, I assume.

24champ
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Midway through the evening Elway received a text telling him the Redskins had just pulled off a huge trade with St. Louis for the second pick in the draft, presumably to take prized Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. Elway told Manning, "Whoa—Washington just traded for the second pick. Looks like they'll get RG3."

"What!?" Manning said, stunned.

From that reaction, Elway knew that the Redskins had been on Manning's list.

Looks like Manning was really interested in working with Shanny. Even met with Shanny for 3 hours, which Elway texted Shanny to put in a good word for the Broncos.

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 11:16 AM
The date of the next hard copy edition of SI, I assume.

Ahhhhhhh......

.....people still get the hardcopy?? (Aside from the swimsuit edition)

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Looks like Manning was really interested in working with Shanny. Even met with Shanny for 3 hours, which Elway texted Shanny to put in a good word for the Broncos.

Yeah, I thought it was extremely interesting that they were in the hunt when they pulled the trigger on that monster RGIII deal.

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I thought it was extremely interesting that they were in the hunt when they pulled the trigger on that monster RGIII deal.

Which would also debunk the theory that he didn't wan't to play in the NFC East vs. his brother.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Which would also debunk the theory that he didn't wan't to play in the NFC East vs. his brother.

Not necessarily. Not wanting to play in the NFC East and wanting to play for Shanahan conflict, but not mutually exclusively (wow that sounds horrid...)

CEH
03-27-2012, 11:32 AM
I heard Shanny meet with Manning while here in Denver and then that night pulled off the RGIII trade indicating to me that Manning comminuticated to Mike that they were not in the running any longer

cmhargrove
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
If this becomes a successful coaching "team" this year it will be very interesting to see how many years they can keep it together.

I guess we look for the success first, before considering it an issue.

I'm really happy with the staff (and now the team). I can't remember any team putting this many pieces together in one offseason. A couple more pieces, and this will be a very exciting team to watch.

BroncoBeavis
03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
If this becomes a successful coaching "team," this year it will be very interesting to see how many years they can keep it together.

I guess we look for the success first, before considering it an issue.

I'm really happy with the staff (and now the team). I can't remember any team putting this many pieces together in one offseason. A couple more pieces, and this will be a very exciting team to watch.

And by 'this many pieces', you mean 'this many piece' :)

Drek
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Del Rio, fired as the Jaguars' coach three months earlier, said all he wanted to do was get back to hand-on coaching and away from the politics of the top job.

Best part of the article by a mile.

24champ
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I heard Shanny meet with Manning while here in Denver and then that night pulled off the RGIII trade indicating to me that Manning comminuticated to Mike that they were not in the running any longer

Doesn't fit with King's story timeline. It appears they made the trade before Manning was to meet in Denver with Shanny. Which explains Manning's reaction...

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Doesn't fit with King's story timeline. It appears they made the trade before Manning was to meet in Denver with Shanny. Which explains Manning's reaction...

Pretty clever of John to bring it up and passively aggressively rub it in his face.

24champ
03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Pretty clever of John to bring it up and passively aggressively rub it in his face.

I like Elway's moxie. It's a cutthroat business and you need that type of attitude.

cmhargrove
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
And by 'this many pieces', you mean 'this many piece' :)

I get it, and I agree. However, I was pretty excited at the potential of the JDR hire. When looking around the league at established DC's that could improve our defense (and draft defense well), he was my favorite by far.

It would be nice to at least get 2-3 years of continuity out of this group (although I believe McCoy could be easily replaced in the new Manning system).

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Makes you wonder if when Manning met with Shanny the next day, he said something to the effect of, "So Mike, why are you wasting my time....seeing as you just traded for the pick to acquire RG3..."

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Makes you wonder if when Manning met with Shanny the next day, he said something to the effect of, "So Mike, why are you wasting my time....seeing as you just traded for the pick to acquire RG3..."

They get along well. Probably had a nice dinner and just talked football.

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 12:09 PM
good article. Sounds like our guys did a good job wooing.

I could just be easily amused, but this made me laugh.

"As Shanahan talked with Manning, a text message popped up on the coach's phone. It was from Elway. "Hey, Mike, put in a good word for us with Peyton." All Shanahan could do was laugh."

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
If this was NY and the Broncos were the Jets, Elway would be getting a ticker tape parade.

Gcver2ver3
03-27-2012, 12:17 PM
very good read...

my favorite part was when Fox said Peyton's ppg as a Colt is 26 ppg, and that his record as HC when his team scores 26+ is 39-3...

it can't be overstated how excellent of a selling point that must have been to Peyton...

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM

Yeah....I was being a bit facetious. However, given the apparent suprised tone in Manning's reaction to the Washington/St. Louis trade.....I still wonder how he MAY have inquired about it with Mike.

But, as you implied.....perhaps he never inquired about it.

strafen
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104556

Kaylore
There heard a rumor that Manning told the Arizona front office "I want to play here." This and everything else that has come out proves that wasn't even close to true.

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 12:20 PM
very good read...

my favorite part was when Fox said Peyton's ppg as a Colt is 26 ppg, and that his record as HC when his team scores 26+ is 39-3...

it can't be overstated how excellent of a selling point that must have been to Peyton...

Yep, and one of the three losses (in which his team scored 26+) was in the Superbowl.....to New England.

Bronco Rob
03-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Good article, nice to hear about Shanahan, the secret metting & Pete Carroll flying unannounced to Denver to get sent back home.

55CrushEm
03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Good article, nice to hear about Shanahan, the secret metting & Pete Carroll flying unannounced to Denver to get sent back home.

Yeah....."Manning doesn't like surprises".....Ha!

Bronco Rob
03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
very good read...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104511

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
"With Peyton, his release time is important, and that's right on target now," said Cutcliffe. "His velocity is right on. His arm slot is right on. His accuracy's amazing. Obviously I'm close to him, but I've watched him throw for almost 20 years now, and I'm really excited about what I think is going to happen. He's going to be great when he needs to be great."

Oops. I think that made me wet.

24champ
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Pete Carrol is an idiot.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 12:32 PM

That explains SO much. ;)

broncocalijohn
03-27-2012, 12:34 PM
If this was NY and the Broncos were the Jets, Elway would be getting a ticker tape parade.

Why? Jets havent won squat since Broadway Joe. They won't be getting that ticket tape parade anytime soon.
BTW, cool article and thread ...twice.

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
There heard a rumor that Manning told the Arizona front office "I want to play here." This and everything else that has come out proves that wasn't even close to true.

...how so?

Even in the article it says he was still debating Den, AZ and Tenn up to the point where they had to make a decision on Kolb's bonus.

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 12:43 PM
"With Peyton, his release time is important, and that's right on target now," said Cutcliffe. "His velocity is right on. His arm slot is right on. His accuracy's amazing. Obviously I'm close to him, but I've watched him throw for almost 20 years now, and I'm really excited about what I think is going to happen. He's going to be great when he needs to be great."

http://designsbychace.com/photos/funny/jay-pampers.gif

Taco John
03-27-2012, 12:52 PM
"In your 14 years in Indianapolis," Fox said, "the Colts averaged 26 points per game. In my 10 years as a head coach [with the Panthers and the Broncos], when our teams scored 26 points or more, our record is 39--3."

Love that stat!

Kaylore
03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
...how so?

Even in the article it says he was still debating Den, AZ and Tenn up to the point where they had to make a decision on Kolb's bonus.

Schefter mentioned it Zona wasn't even in the top three.

bendog
03-27-2012, 01:18 PM

But did Shanny not realize he was in the finals when he gave up 3 ones and a two for kid with great upside but who is coming from a wierd offense and will have some growing? Or did he say, 'screw it, RGIII is as close to Steve Young as is gets, and I wanna do it again."?

bronco militia
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
But did Shanny not realize he was in the finals when he gave up 3 ones and a two for kid with great upside but who is coming from a wierd offense and will have some growing? Or did he say, 'screw it, RGIII is as close to Steve Young as is gets, and I wanna do it again."?

maybe the owner and the GM overruled Shanny this time?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
very good read...

Its also probably not that cut and dry, but it sounds good

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Schefter mentioned it Zona wasn't even in the top three.

"Behinds the scenes" says otherwise :wiggle:

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
That explains SO much. ;)

I guess I could have said, "That gave me a bit of a twitch" but I don't want to get Miss I all worked up.

TonyR
03-27-2012, 02:06 PM

I have doubts about how a Manning/Redskins marriage would have worked because of control issues. Can you imagine the Shanahans giving up near total control of the offense the way Denver probably will with Manning?

bendog
03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
I have doubts about how a Manning/Redskins marriage would have worked because of control issues. Can you imagine the Shanahans giving up near total control of the offense the way Denver probably will with Manning?

That's true. I can't see either guy changing.

John Fox is the man.

That laid-back approach appealed to Manning. Yet the vibe with Fox and the coaching staff was significant in its own right.

While Fox has a defensive background, his style as a head coach is stamped by a willingness to adapt. With Manning in the fold, the Broncos will transition from a read-option scheme to an up-tempo system that plays to the strengths of the quarterback.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/story/2012-03-25/Peyton-Manning-Denver-Broncos-decision/53805748/1

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
With Manning in the fold, the Broncos will transition from a read-option scheme to an up-tempo system that plays to the strengths of the quarterback.

I would find it pretty comical if we went from the heaviest run-oriented, run down the clock style of offense in the league to a more up-tempo, no huddle offense and managed to actually increase our time of possession from season-to-season.

bendog
03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
I would find it pretty comical if we went from the heaviest run-oriented, run down the clock style of offense in the league to a more up-tempo, no huddle offense and managed to actually increase our time of possession from season-to-season.

I would not be in the least surprised. But multiple sources listed as a factor Manning seeing McCoy and Fox as guys not married to any strict approach, and the "Tebow swich" was attractive to him. He also apparantly really liked Munchak, who imo will have a very nice career, but no one should have bud adams as an owner. I'm not really sure how the Harbaugh thing worked out.

Punisher
03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
If this is the Manning saga the Orton era must be Star Wars Ep 1

CEH
03-27-2012, 03:20 PM
John fox has never had a stud qb and knows now you can win a super bowl with just a running game and defense
He will adjust to manning and he lovin it right now

TheReverend
03-27-2012, 03:35 PM
If this is the Manning saga the Orton era must be Star Wars Ep 1

Did Tebow just become Darth Vader then...?

Miss I.
03-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Did Tebow just become Darth Vader then...?

That I don't know, but I think MacGruder would be Jar Jar Binks.

The Joker
03-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I know a limited amount about Star Wars...

I'll pitch Elway as Yoda though.

Seems pretty clear to me that without Elway in the FO Manning wouldn't have been signing with Denver. Gotta love that man.

Play2win
03-27-2012, 11:19 PM
I know a limited amount about Star Wars...

I'll pitch Elway as Yoda though.

Seems pretty clear to me that without Elway in the FO Manning wouldn't have been signing with Denver. Gotta love that man.

It was The Drive III.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-27-2012, 11:53 PM
It was The Drive III.

QTF!!!

Bronco Rob
03-28-2012, 06:54 AM
That's true. I can't see either guy changing.

John Fox is the man.

That laid-back approach appealed to Manning. Yet the vibe with Fox and the coaching staff was significant in its own right.

While Fox has a defensive background, his style as a head coach is stamped by a willingness to adapt. With Manning in the fold, the Broncos will transition from a read-option scheme to an up-tempo system that plays to the strengths of the quarterback.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/story/2012-03-25/Peyton-Manning-Denver-Broncos-decision/53805748/1

Thanks for the article.

Bronco Rob
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7743768&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Dutch
03-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Nice find on the Elway interview as well, Bronco Rob. Great to have these with the coffee this morning, nice to be getting back to Bronco content instead of the endless "he who shall go unnamed" debates. Looking forward to this season sooooo much!

i4jelway7
03-28-2012, 08:40 AM
<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7743768&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

thx for that, hadn't seen it yet :notworthy

Bronco Rob
03-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Peyton Manning says he didn't only focus on AFC teams

We've already told you about the process Peyton Manning went through on his whirlwind tour of the country (thanks to the outstanding reporting by Sports Illustrated's Peter King*) and why he ultimately chose the Broncos as the next stop in his career.

*If you haven't read King's article yet, you should do so immediately. Then, return here and finish this post.

But one rumor that wasn't addressed was the idea that Manning wanted to stay in the AFC so he could keep up the possibility of one day facing his brother, Eli, in the Super Bowl. Aside from San Francisco, after all, his biggest suitors were the Dolphins and Titans (and he made it clear he wasn't interested in NFC squads Seattle or Washington).

But Manning said Thursday in a radio interview that theory is simply incorrect.

"Well, that's not true, because obviously when I was talking to San Francisco, they asked me that," Manning told KKFN radio in Denver (via sportsradiointerviews.com). "And I wouldn't have told them that I could possibly be interested if that were the case. Obviously I know that San Francisco is in the NFC.

"Just like everybody thinks that the Titans (didn't get chosen) because they were in the Colts' division. Once again, I knew that the Titans were in the AFC South. And so when Coach [Mike] Munchak called and I said, 'Sure, I absolutely would have an interest and I'd love to get to know everybody better.' So the psychoanalyzing -- I guess that's the word, I'm not sure I know what that means -- but there's a lot of teams that I liked. And believe me, part of me wanted to be able to go to all of them for a short period of time. But you have to pick one, and once you pick it you don't look back. So I'm here in Denver and looking forward to going ahead."

So, that's settled.

But on a different note, Manning admitted, the recruiting process was completely insane.

"It wasn't really how I would've liked it. It became so public," he said. "And that was the Broncos' idea -- sending the cars different areas -- that wasn't mine. But once you kind of got inside the facilities I really enjoyed getting to know the football people at the different teams. I tell ya, the NFL is in good shape right now. There's some really smart people, some great coaches, some great management people out there. And I really just met a bunch of them. And so certainly that's the case here in Denver. So I enjoyed the football part of it.

"I didn't enjoy -- obviously -- all the cameras following me everywhere that you went. But that's certainly just kind of part of it. But I'm glad to be with the team, to be into a normal routine lifting weights over here, throwing with the receivers. That makes me feel more comfortable and I'm glad to be in that routine."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18148859/peyton-manning-says-he-didnt-only-focus-on-afc-teams

Bronco Rob
04-02-2012, 06:29 AM
Reporter of the week: I'm late on this, a week late. But it goes to Chris Mortensen for his reporting during the Peyton Manning story. I know Mortensen got criticized because his agents happen to be Creative Artists Agency, the same as Manning, and it gave him an unfair advantage in Manning reporting. I can tell you that's not true.

Manning wasn't talking to Mortensen multiple times on many days during the process because they are represented by the same conglomerate. Manning talked to Mortensen because he trusted him, and because for the past 15 years, Mortensen has taken four or five days every summer and spent them at the Manning family's Manning Passing Academy. Those are the kinds of relationships that pay off one day in this business, and they paid off in this case with Mortensen getting the edge on so many parts of the story.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/01/bounty/index.html#ixzz1qsxrkGBD