PDA

View Full Version : Okoye

MABroncoFan
03-27-2012, 08:27 AM
@caplannfl: In addition to Bengals and Bears, Amobi Okoye has received interest from the Bucs, Pats, and #Broncos, according to sources.

maher_tyler
03-27-2012, 08:30 AM
@caplannfl: In addition to Bengals and Bears, Amobi Okoye has received interest from the Bucs, Pats, and #Broncos, according to sources.

Yea...we're not getting him! We'll be ok with drafting a couple of rookies and wonder why our run D sucks and why we can't get any pass rush up the middle.

DarkHorse
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Is he any good? I remember he was all the rage because he was young, but I also remember that he hasn't done squat in the big boy league either.

Bmore Manning
03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
That's a start in the right direction! He had four sacks as a back up! Bring him in please!

MVP-06
03-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I'd take him

MABroncoFan
03-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Didn't he choose the Bears over us last year?

broncs2bowl
03-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Bring him in!!, but he should't start. Okoye is one of the premier pass rushing DT's in the league, however he is downright awful against the run. Manning giving us a lead and Miller-Doom-Okoye-Ayers rushing the passer would be incredible.

Rabb
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I love this, now when we don't sign him everyone will blame the FO for not overpaying.

Kaylore
03-27-2012, 08:50 AM
He was cut from the Texans and then the Bears, who love to bring in tossed out first rounders to try and salvage them. He probably sucks. Not saying we don't suck upfront, but adding more suck doesn't really make things better.

errand
03-27-2012, 08:51 AM
I love this, now when we don't sign him everyone will blame the FO for not overpaying.

I know right?

Kind of like sitting in sports bar listening to certain fans of a former play screaming during buffalo game for Fox to ley QB throw the ball.....and after it gets intercepted, they then screamed that "dumb ass Fox" should've kept it on the ground....lol

v2micca
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but this guy was wasted on football. At 15 years old he had the chance of going to Harvard, but choose Louisville instead for their football program. He graduated in 3 1/2 years with a psychology degree after switching from biology.

I know these were all his choices, but I can't help but think how much more this guy might have contributed with his mind if he had decided not to pursue football. It almost makes me wish he washes out of the league and returns to the sciences.

Bmore Manning
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
He could come in as a run down DE to spell Dumervill, and be paired with Ayers inside on passing downs.

BroncoBen
03-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Is he any good? I remember he was all the rage because he was young, but I also remember that he hasn't done squat in the big boy league either.

I feel the same, I remember him coming our of college being all the talk I think he was only 19 or 20 when he was drafted to play in the NFL ... I believe he played with Elvis Dumervil at Louisville.

Drafted by the Texans and ended up with the Bears, but really hasn't been all that earth shattering.. quite career.

DENVERDUI55
03-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Yea...we're not getting him! We'll be ok with drafting a couple of rookies and wonder why our run D sucks and why we can't get any pass rush up the middle.

Denver will say we thought the rookies would pan out I guess we will address this next year and do nothing again.

Kaylore
03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
I know this may not be a popular opinion, but this guy was wasted on football. At 15 years old he had the chance of going to Harvard, but choose Louisville instead for their football program. He graduated in 3 1/2 years with a psychology degree after switching from biology.

I know these were all his choices, but I can't help but think how much more this guy might have contributed with his mind if he had decided not to pursue football. It almost makes me wish he washes out of the league and returns to the sciences.

Biology to psych. He's probably burned out. He was 19 or 20 when he was drafted and he's only 24. The NFL is a grind.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-27-2012, 09:06 AM

He's made a lot of money playing football, and he probably enjoys getting a ton of cash to play a game. Youre acting like he's some guaranteed einstein that knows the cure for cancer and is being selfish

TonyR
03-27-2012, 09:07 AM
He was cut from the Texans and then the Bears...

The Texans released him in 2011 but I don't think the Bears cut him. I think he's an UFA.

Rohirrim
03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Biology to psych. He's probably burned out. He was 19 or 20 when he was drafted and he's only 24. The NFL is a grind.

And some Okoyes just can't handle it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fvPxzQBIafo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

v2micca
03-27-2012, 09:17 AM
He's made a lot of money playing football, and he probably enjoys getting a ton of cash to play a game. Youre acting like he's some guaranteed einstein that knows the cure for cancer and is being selfish

Nothing is guaranteed. I was just expressing the private view, that given the choice between observing this young talent attempt to realize his potential as a football player and watching him attempt to realize his potential as a member of the medical and scientific community I would have preferred the latter. I cannot and do not fault him for the decisions he has made. I just hope that when he is done playing, he can still realize all of his mental potential as well.

DBroncos4life
03-27-2012, 09:30 AM
He was cut from the Texans and then the Bears, who love to bring in tossed out first rounders to try and salvage them. He probably sucks. Not saying we don't suck upfront, but adding more suck doesn't really make things better.
This isn't all true, he wasn't cut by the Bears he isn't being resigned.

Kaylore
03-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I forgot the Bears claimed him off waivers. It is telling they don't want to sign him, though I don't wonder what he's asking.

bronco militia
03-27-2012, 09:59 AM

the bears did not cut Okoye.....he only signed a one year deal

baja
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
I remember lots of people here wanted to draft him. wonder what the story on him is?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
I forgot the Bears claimed him off waivers. It is telling they don't want to sign him, though I don't wonder what he's asking.

I'm curious about him. He does seem to have the ability to get into the backfield, and did have 4 sacks last year despite not starting (then again, so did McBean). Considering we essentially have nothing at the position, i wouldnt hate signing him.

g6matty
03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
i think our competition is the bears and pats. the other teams suck so why would he want to go there. if its about football id rule out the patriots because i dont think he wants to play in a 3-4 hybrid. he has a legit shot at starting on our team so hopefully he comes on down ! :D

TonyR
03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Anybody know if the Bears cut Okoye? And does Colquitt have the job locked up or are we going to bring in competition?

g6matty
03-27-2012, 10:20 AM
he got released by the texas went through waivers and got claimed by the bears. this was the last year on his rookie contract

bronco militia
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
I remember lots of people here wanted to draft him. wonder what the story on him is?

he was the youngest player to start a game in NFL history.....

cmhargrove
03-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought Okoye was like Dumervil's "little bro." Have Elvis pick up the phone and seal the deal!

baja
03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
he was the youngest player to start a game in NFL history.....

Te Bears have full house of DL men maybe he was just a numbers causality

BroncoBen
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Anybody know if the Bears cut Okoye? And does Colquitt have the job locked up or are we going to bring in competition?

I believe Okoye is a free agent... weird he hasn't signed with anyone yet.

Also I think both Kickers for the Broncos are set.. No competition is needed.

mwill07
03-27-2012, 10:52 AM

umm...it looks like they do want to sign him....re-read the OP.

This is pretty much same situation as Bunkley going to NO.

Drek
03-27-2012, 11:35 AM

He was picked up off waivers and his contract has now expired making him a free agent. Chicago wants him back but aren't flush with cash and don't want to overpay for him.

He was a solid situational rush DT last year and has the potential to develop much further than that. He'd be an excellent pick up on our part, as would any DT who can actually play in the league. Add him, a quality first rounder, and take a flyer on another NT type and we're doing ok (Hill would be my preference, but an old Shaun Rogers or similar would at least be worth a shot).

broncosteven
03-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Lovie is big on Henry Melton, he is finally emerging for them and they have some youth in depth.

vancejohnson82
03-27-2012, 02:20 PM
And some Okoyes just can't handle it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fvPxzQBIafo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is like Nate Webster's dream play

you give up 10 yards AND get to celebrate!!???!?!?!!

DENVERDUI55
03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
take a flyer on another NT type and we're doing ok (Hill would be my preference, but an old Shaun Rogers or similar would at least be worth a shot).

Rodgers, Kelly Gregg, Garay, Franklin one of those retreads would work. What about this Derek Landri from the Eagles? Maybe he isn't available.

Beantown Bronco
03-27-2012, 02:31 PM
this is like Nate Webster's dream play

you give up 10 yards AND get to celebrate!!???!?!?!!

Not to nit pick, but I'd say that play only went for like 4 yards.