PDA

View Full Version : OT: Legal question: Boobytraps

That One Guy
03-25-2012, 09:41 PM
About a year ago I moved from Kentucky to South Florida. I can't get used to the thieves down here. Apparently I can't take a 2x4 to these kids for stealing my stuff so I was curious about boobytraps. Hypothetically, does anyone know how to legally classify something like thumbtacks hidden under a bike seat cover? Maybe diuretics/laxatives in a drink (I had my lunch stolen one day)? Are they still assault if the person stole the object then fell victim to it?

I don't give two ****s about the little a-holes that keep taking my stuff but in trying to avoid drama, I think I should mostly avoid the violent stuff so I was thinking thumbtacks rather than nails might be acceptable. I just don't know if it's legal and how to look it up. Any insight?

Mogulseeker
03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Not a whole lot of crime in Myrtle Beach.

Quoydogs
03-25-2012, 10:06 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Q6Ti9xCX_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Well if they are stealing it and fall victim to said boobytraps, they really can't prove your intentions. Those thumbtacks Under the seat could've been put in there to hold a piece of cloth? That laxative could've been put in your lunch cause you haven't taken a dump in 3 days? I'd use the 2x4. Laws nowadays are meant to punish the victim and protect the suspect. Someone breaks into your house, they'll use your 911 call against you. Better not shoot the robber in the back either. You'll go to prison for that.

There's a book called "After you shoot: your guns hot, the perps not" that has great info about this.

Quoydogs
03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Well if they are stealing it and fall victim to said boobytraps, they really can't prove your intentions. Those thumbtacks Under the seat could've been put in there to hold a piece of cloth? That laxative could've been put in your lunch cause you haven't taken a dump in 3 days? I'd use the 2x4. Laws nowadays are meant to punish the victim and protect the suspect. Someone breaks into your house, they'll use your 911 call against you. Better not shoot the robber in the back either. You'll go to prison for that.

Whistle wait for the turn around, then pull the trigger. Check.

DeuceOfClub
03-25-2012, 10:19 PM
A police officer told me two weeks ago that I can legally set boobytreps in my yard (at my business) after a series of breaking took place from same spot in the fence.
Not 100% sure she's right though.
And BTW they caught the ****er.

Edit: in Florida

meangene
03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
About a year ago I moved from Kentucky to South Florida. I can't get used to the thieves down here. Apparently I can't take a 2x4 to these kids for stealing my stuff so I was curious about boobytraps. Hypothetically, does anyone know how to legally classify something like thumbtacks hidden under a bike seat cover? Maybe diuretics/laxatives in a drink (I had my lunch stolen one day)? Are they still assault if the person stole the object then fell victim to it?

I don't give two ****s about the little a-holes that keep taking my stuff but in trying to avoid drama, I think I should mostly avoid the violent stuff so I was thinking thumbtacks rather than nails might be acceptable. I just don't know if it's legal and how to look it up. Any insight?

Frustrating as it is, you can not do what you suggest. You would be subject to criminal prosecution, as well as, civil liability.

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
this is why i love Colorado. the Make My Day law. dickwad breaks into my home, he is not leaving with all his appendages and more than likely he is leaving in a body bag.

Broncos_OTM
03-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Move to a state with make my day laws?

Jay3
03-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Thumb tacks in a bicycle seat?

Two questions:

1. Are you Macauly Culkin; and
2. Is this Home Alone?

Rabb
03-26-2012, 07:17 AM
booty traps you say?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R6cdexYK2sw/Sxg3o26GWRI/AAAAAAAAABE/1yjrLnnlLDo/s320/blog2pic3.jpg

Kaylore
03-26-2012, 07:21 AM
booty traps you say?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_R6cdexYK2sw/Sxg3o26GWRI/AAAAAAAAABE/1yjrLnnlLDo/s320/blog2pic3.jpg

LOL First thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

jhns
03-26-2012, 07:24 AM
You are in Florida. Just pick a fight with them, then shoot them. Completely legal there.

Beantown Bronco
03-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Frustrating as it is, you can not do what you suggest. You would be subject to criminal prosecution, as well as, civil liability.

Urban myth.

All those chain emails that go around about burglars falling through skylights while trying to break into your house and injuring themselves, then suing the home owner, etc. are all myths.

Slightly Soiled
03-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Move to a state with make my day laws?

Or a state with no crime.

Meck77
03-26-2012, 08:06 AM
You might consider moving to Mexico. I hear it's safer down there.

oubronco
03-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Boots to Asses