PDA

View Full Version : NYT article on Tebow's flaws

TonyR
03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Denver’s playoff victory against Pittsburgh in January showcased the best, and the worst, of Tim Tebow.

He completed passes of 80, 58, 51, 40 and 31 yards in upsetting the Steelers in overtime, 29-23. It was his greatest professional performance, proof that he could beat a good opponent by throwing the ball, not just by running with it.

It was also a game in which Tebow completed just five other passes, completed less than 50 percent of his attempts, converted just three third downs and demonstrated that unconventional plays are typically the only plays he makes.

In evaluating Tebow, he has obvious assets like size and athleticism, and a superabundance of intangibles: work ethic, leadership and some elusive or illusory traits that make him “a winner.” He also has one obvious, glaring, potentially career-derailing tangible: Tebow does not throw the ball well.

“His mechanics are very poor,” said Greg Cosell, the executive producer of ESPN’s scouting-based “N.F.L. Matchup” show, “and that may never change.”

Cosell, who scrutinizes hundreds of hours of game film every year, can pinpoint flaws in Tebow’s motion that lead to off-target passes.

“His arm speed is very slow,” Cosell said. “People think he has a strong arm, but because his delivery is slow, it negates a lot of that arm strength.”

Quarterbacks with unorthodox throwing mechanics have thrived in the N.F.L., but only if they achieved an acceptable level of accuracy. Tebow’s 46.5 percent completion rate last season was the lowest of any starting quarterback since Cincinnati’s Akili Smith completed 44.2 percent of his passes in 2000. Smith soon vanished from the league.

Tebow’s completion percentage was actually inflated by the scheme the Broncos had designed for him. He threw a high percentage of wide receiver screens, which require little more skill than handoffs. Tebow completed 30 of 40 passes thrown to receivers at or behind the line of scrimmage. Those passes accounted for nearly a quarter of his completions; his completion rate for passes that actually traveled downfield was 41.6 percent.

Take away the screens, and Tebow is left with the schoolyard plays, three or four conventional completions per game, and the same number of incomplete passes Rodgers or Drew Brees typically throws while generating more than twice the number of passing yards and points that Tebow does.

Read the whole thing here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/sports/football/a-gifted-athlete-tim-tebow-has-plenty-of-flaws.html?_r=1

NUB
03-25-2012, 10:57 AM
The type of passes, as mentioned, played a big part in the efficiency. I don't really recall a single game where Denver tried to really smooth the passing game over; it was run-run-3rd-and-long-pass in fashions so predictable even the least observant of fans could guess what was coming. Another factor were simply drops of which Denver had quite a lot. The Bears game, for example, Tebow was hitting receivers in the hands all game but nobody could hold onto the ball. That's not saying Tebow is an accurate thrower, because he isn't, but he is far better than those statistics show. He's also a smarter passer than most young players; outside of the Detroit/Buffalo game he rarely made any Plummer-esque errors that are typical for learning QBs.

Dedhed
03-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Tebow’s completion percentage was actually inflated by the scheme the Broncos had designed for him. He threw a high percentage of wide receiver screens, which require little more skill than handoffs.

Ummm...what?

I was screaming for screens every game the Broncos played with Tebow at the helm.

I watched every game from start to finish, and remember 3.

It's a complete falsehood that he threw a high percentage of screens, WR or otherwise.

CEH
03-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Tebow won in dramatic fashion but can he win in conventional fashion. Prater , Barber and Tebow's legs will not be there to help him out every game.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-25-2012, 11:11 AM
I dont understand the WR screens comment. Tebow fans were screaming for these. I didn't see many thrown at all. That stat seems skewed.

TonyR
03-25-2012, 11:14 AM
It's a complete falsehood that he threw a high percentage of screens, WR or otherwise.

Agree. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water. A lot of good points in the article.

KO5K
03-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Tebow’s completion percentage was actually inflated by the scheme the Broncos had designed for him.

Tony continues his streak of posting awful articles.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-25-2012, 11:26 AM
The scheme in which his receivers dropped pass after pass artificially inflated his completion percentage.

peacepipe
03-25-2012, 11:26 AM
good read. a very accurate take on tebow.

TonyR
03-25-2012, 11:29 AM
The scheme in which his receivers dropped pass after pass artificially inflated his completion percentage.

I have a hunch that Manning's completion % will be significantly higher this year than Tebow's was last year, and that the drop % will be lower. Do you feel differently?

winstoncup bronco
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Tebow's biggest flaw was that he wasn't pretty. If he had better stats and lost, he'd be much more respected.

Gort
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Tony continues his streak of posting awful articles.

yes. his usual formula...

a) i like Tebow the person
b) Tebow is awful and terrible and can't do anything that even the most retarded NFL QBs are supposed to be able to do
c) link to article that supports b)
d) respond to criticism by pointing to a)

enjolras
03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
The type of passes, as mentioned, played a big part in the efficiency. I don't really recall a single game where Denver tried to really smooth the passing game over; it was run-run-3rd-and-long-pass in fashions so predictable even the least observant of fans could guess what was coming. Another factor were simply drops of which Denver had quite a lot. The Bears game, for example, Tebow was hitting receivers in the hands all game but nobody could hold onto the ball. That's not saying Tebow is an accurate thrower, because he isn't, but he is far better than those statistics show. He's also a smarter passer than most young players; outside of the Detroit/Buffalo game he rarely made any Plummer-esque errors that are typical for learning QBs.

The Lions game is an obvious choice. That carried over into the Chiefs game a couple of weeks later as well, although it was a very small sample size. They also asked Tebow to throw more timing routes at the end of the previous season as well. Even throughout the latter part of last season they attempted those routes several times a game, particularly in-cuts and drag routes. Tebow REALLY struggled both in ball placement and timing in those situations.

Bronco fans are going to find out this year that Eric Decker is a really good receiver. I've already posted screen grabs in various places of Decker working himself open and Tebow failing to pull the trigger, or when he did putting the ball in difficult to catch positions. That won't be an issue with Manning.

Look, I really enjoyed last season but if you didn't see that Tebow has obvious flaws then your just fooling yourself. He struggles with his decision making (see his stats against the blitz) and he really struggles on timing routes and rhythm passing (poor mechanics and footwork). Maybe there is an offense out there that you can design to work around those issues, but really any hope you have in Tebow is that he can magically fix it. Maybe he can improve on the mechanics (although I'm not convinced), but he has a LONG ways to go. Most NFL QB's come into the league with nearly flawless mechanics (even if they are "unorthodox" like a Phyliss Rivers), but often struggle with reading defenses and putting the ball in the right position at the right time. Most NFL QB's never get particularly proficient at it (hell Kyle Orton). Tebow is starting even farther back and after two seasons he hasn't shown much meaningful improvement.

So maybe he puts it all together, but I'm not particularly convinced that he will. I'm glad it will be on someone else's dime.

rbackfactory80
03-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Everyone knows Tebow had flaws, stop with that pathetic take already. He displayed immeasurables that 2 percent of QB's in the NFL possess.

Gort
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
The Lions game is an obvious choice. That carried over into the Chiefs game a couple of weeks later as well, although it was a very small sample size. They also asked Tebow to throw more timing routes at the end of the previous season as well. Even throughout the latter part of last season they attempted those routes several times a game, particularly in-cuts and drag routes. Tebow REALLY struggled both in ball placement and timing in those situations.

Bronco fans are going to find out this year that Eric Decker is a really good receiver. I've already posted screen grabs in various places of Decker working himself open and Tebow failing to pull the trigger, or when he did putting the ball in difficult to catch positions. That won't be an issue with Manning.

Look, I really enjoyed last season but if you didn't see that Tebow has obvious flaws then your just fooling yourself. He struggles with his decision making (see his stats against the blitz) and he really struggles on timing routes and rhythm passing (poor mechanics and footwork). Maybe there is an offense out there that you can design to work around those issues, but really any hope you have in Tebow is that he can magically fix it. Maybe he can improve on the mechanics (although I'm not convinced), but he has a LONG ways to go. Most NFL QB's come into the league with nearly flawless mechanics (even if they are "unorthodox" like a Phyliss Rivers), but often struggle with reading defenses and putting the ball in the right position at the right time. Most NFL QB's never get particularly proficient at it (hell Kyle Orton). Tebow is starting even farther back and after two seasons he hasn't shown much meaningful improvement.

So maybe he puts it all together, but I'm not particularly convinced that he will. I'm glad it will be on someone else's dime.

the things you say here aren't exactly inaccurate, just taken to an extreme bordering on hyperbole.

Tebow is not a 10 year vet.
Tebow did not ever get 1st team reps in any of his 1st 2 training camps.
Tebow rode the bench until late in his rookie year.
Tebow rode the bench during the first 3rd of his second year.

yet none of this factors into your evaluation. instead, you declare that he's

a) not football smart ("He struggles with his decision making")
b) not skilled in the passing game ("he really struggles on timing routes and rhythm passing")
c) has poor throwing mechanics
d) has poor footwork

so therefore your write him off completely ("I'm not particularly convinced that he will")

no sane person who rooted for Tebow didn't also see that he needed to learn and improve. we always said that. but we also noted that he needs time to do so. we also see alot of other things he brings to the table that few other QBs do. it makes no sense to turn Tebow into a pocket passer. that negates everything special about him. Tebow needs to go to a team where the HC understands and embraces that. if they build an offense around him, as he gets a couple of years of seasoning to improve his passing skills, he could well find himself running a nearly unstoppable offense. but if you put him on a team where all he is going to do is hand the ball off or take 3-step and 5-step dropbacks to throw the ball, what's the point? you can find 2 dozen kids coming out of college every year who can do that.

Rohirrim
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll be surprised if Tebow is still in the league two years from now. Trading him to the Jets was the smartest thing the Broncos ever did.

DBroncos4life
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Ummm...what?

I was screaming for screens every game the Broncos played with Tebow at the helm.

Well according to the ESPN split he went 24-32 from passes behind the line scrimmage. You might write them and let them know that you watched all the games and that stat is wrong.

barryr
03-25-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought Tebow was traded so that would be the end of threads of how terrible Tebow was since those were just for the benefit for all four of those Tebow fans who loved him so since that was the only reason people supposedly didn't like him?

MacGruder
03-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a hunch that Manning's completion % will be significantly higher this year than Tebow's was last year, and that the drop % will be lower. Do you feel differently?

But the run game and defense will be much poorer too. Which is why Peyton put up great numbers in the regular season but fails in the playoffs.

It is also why Tebow was so impressive. playing well the way Fox was playing is harder than what Peyton was doing...

Rohirrim
03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I thought Tebow was traded so that would be the end of threads of how terrible Tebow was since those were just for the benefit for all four of those Tebow fans who loved him so since that was the only reason people supposedly didn't like him?

Nobody on this thread has mentioned anything about "liking" or "disliking" Tebow. Until you did, that is. You prefer to keep it on "like" or "dislike" terms in order to discourage a discussion based solely on the merits of his game. Which is why you always bring it up. As far as Tebow threads go, hell, there are still Cutler threads. There is still the occasional Plummer thread, for chrissakes! What are you trying to hide?

Spider
03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
But the run game and defense will be much poorer too. Which is why Peyton put up great numbers in the regular season but fails in the playoffs.

It is also why Tebow was so impressive. playing well the way Fox was playing is harder than what Peyton was doing...

LOL ****ing Idiot

MacGruder
03-25-2012, 12:49 PM
LOL ****ing Idiot

So why don't they just run what they were running with Tebow?

Because if they did Peyton would look just as bad if not worse than Tebow. Same reason they are bringing in all the players to fit Manning's system.

I'm not talking about the option.. just the super run heavy offense only throwing on third down.

It's the same reason when Orton was putting up great offensive numbers the run game and defense were non existent.

barryr
03-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Nobody on this thread has mentioned anything about "liking" or "disliking" Tebow. Until you did, that is. You prefer to keep it on "like" or "dislike" terms in order to discourage a discussion based solely on the merits of his game. Which is why you always bring it up. As far as Tebow threads go, hell, there are still Cutler threads. There is still the occasional Plummer thread, for chrissakes! What are you trying to hide?

Or those like you who hide behind "Tebow fans" for your constant criticism of Tebow. How many ways can people say you don't think he can play and he won't be very good? I think we got it by now, thanks. Move on already.

bombay
03-25-2012, 12:54 PM
http://forums.theganggreen.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

This is a good place to talk about Tebow.

DENVERDUI55
03-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes Tebow's mechanics and accuracy have been his flaws. Same crap different article.

Jekyll15Hyde
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Because if they did Peyton would look just as bad if not worse than Tebow. Same reason they are bringing in all the players to fit Manning's system.

I'm not talking about the option.. just the super run heavy offense only throwing on third down.

It's the same reason when Orton was putting up great offensive numbers the run game and defense were non existent.

I thought you were fading away or something?

Spider
03-25-2012, 01:00 PM

. Manning is a NFL qb , I know you being a fan of tebow this is lost on you . You dont waste Peytons skills by making him run a sub par offense .....
there is a reason why we ran so heavy with Tebow .. the boy was just lost , hesitant , and as accurate as a winchester 1894 ....... Orton ??? really what part of Manning's game even remotely reminds you of Orton ?

Fedaykin
03-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Because Manning is a legit passer.

MacGruder
03-25-2012, 01:37 PM
. Manning is a NFL qb , I know you being a fan of tebow this is lost on you . You dont waste Peytons skills by making him run a sub par offense .....
there is a reason why we ran so heavy with Tebow .. the boy was just lost , hesitant , and as accurate as a winchester 1894 ....... Orton ??? really what part of Manning's game even remotely reminds you of Orton ?

I think the problems you see with Orton are similar to Peyton.. they are just much greater with Orton.

Orton falls apart in key parts of games and at the end of games...

Peyton falls apart in the key parts of the season and in the playoffs.

One thing very similar about them is their cerebral appraach to the game and their complete lack of mobility.

I don't think people understand how this lack of mobility can be so devastating. Peyton and the offense HAS to be absolutely PERFECT. To do that all season and all through the playoffs.. Especially in the playoffs where the officials let defenders get away with more..

MacGruder
03-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Because Manning is a legit passer.

But what Tebow did was successful. The improved run game in the Tebow style should help Manning's passing.. it won't though because to do what Peyton does you need a rhythm. This is why I say it is so difficult to do what Tebow did in such a limited role. Especially with no receivers.

MacGruder
03-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I thought you were fading away or something?

I thought the Tebow talk would fade away..

Spider
03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I think the problems you see with Orton are similar to Peyton.. they are just much greater with Orton.

One thing very similar about them is their cerebral appraach to the game and their complete lack of mobility.

I don't think people understand how this lack of mobility can be so devastating. Peyton and the offense HAS to be absolutely PERFECT. To do that all season and all through the playoffs.. Especially in the playoffs where the officials let defenders get away with more..
ROFL! you are a moron ..........

Rohirrim
03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Or those like you who hide behind "Tebow fans" for your constant criticism of Tebow. How many ways can people say you don't think he can play and he won't be very good? I think we got it by now, thanks. Move on already.

I don't have any personal investment in Tebow. He's a modern phenomenon in the NFL. I'm sure there are message boards all over the country (and not even football sites) where Tebow is discussed, just like Lin is discussed. He's no longer a Bronco, so get over the personal hurt.

kappys
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM

There is one huge difference - Orton panics and curls up in the fetal position when rushed while Peyton devastates defenses that blitz with his audibles and quick release.

Oh and the fact that Peyton can throw lasers 40 yards downfield.

MacGruder
03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
There is one huge difference - Orton panics and curls up in the fetal position when rushed while Peyton devastates defenses that blitz with his audibles and quick release.

Oh and the fact that Peyton can throw lasers 40 yards downfield.

But part of this is that for Peyton to be great the team around him has to be running perfectly. Same with Orton.

This is why Orton sucked on the Broncos this last season but them on the Chiefs he looked much better even with no time playing with them.

This is why Tebow could outplay Orton with no experience in his career or this season and no receivers and Elway and Fox trying to tank him.

Tebow doesn't have to rely on all those elements performing perfectly every game every moment to be successful..

kappys
03-25-2012, 01:55 PM
But part of this is that for Peyton to be great the team around him has to be running perfectly. Same with Orton.

This is why Orton sucked on the Broncos this last season but them on the Chiefs he looked much better even with no time playing with them.

This is why Tebow could outplay Orton with no experience in his career or this season and no receivers and Elway and Fox trying to tank him.

Tebow doesn't have to rely on all those elements performing perfectly every game every moment to be successful..

Orton beat Green Bay because the Packers were too concieted or stupid to watch film of him. I watched the game in amazement as the Packers absolutely refused to bring pressure against Orton. We all know that KO can eat up the prevent.

The reason PM lead offenses seem to run perfectly is that PM is running them. They quickly fall apart when he is off the field - this is not the mark of a precision offense.

DarkHorse30
03-25-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm still floored by how Denver got the Jets to pay half of his bonus. I'm equally floored by the Jets picking him up in the first place. It appears to be the Jets trying to get more press time that the NFL champs from last year. I don't expect this to end well for Sanchez.

Broncos4tw
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
MacG.. are you saying that Tebow is a better QB than Manning?

Just clarifying your position on the matter.

winstoncup bronco
03-25-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm still floored by how Denver got the Jets to pay half of his bonus.

Actually, the contract called for the receiving team to pay the entire amount, so the fact that Denver agreed to pay half is hardly a victory of any kind. Denver should have paid nothing.

Jay3
03-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I dont understand the WR screens comment. Tebow fans were screaming for these. I didn't see many thrown at all. That stat seems skewed.

And Tebow led the league by a wide margin in percentage of passes attempted over 20 yards in the air. By any rational measure, his tendency was to chuck it downfield.

Now that has it's own problems, some of them Tebow's -- but don't claim his completion percentage was inflated by throwing more short passes than average. On the contrary, he could have throw for 53% or so (easy) if McCoy had set that goal -- a few easy completions a game, throwing early and on first down.

Cito Pelon
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Ummm...what?

No kidding, poor analysis by the NYT. Tebow absolutely had flaws in the passing game, but all potentially correctable with coaching, reps, and just him calming down, not being so manic. The passing game was a little too fast for him at times.

Also, people tend to forget the number of times the receivers were just not open so Tebow held the ball rather than throwing to a guy covered. He'd look and look, and nobody was open.

Ah well, the potential QBOTF is gone now, but it pisses me off Elway wasn't patient and tried to maximize Tebow's potential. You can teach mechanics, etc, you can't teach clutch play when the game is on the line. You can't teach comebacks and the next QBOTF you don't know if he'll have that.

BTW, Peyton Manning has ONE playoff come from behind win. All those playoff games, and he has ONE come from behind win.

canadianbroncosfan
03-25-2012, 04:37 PM
But what Tebow did was successful. The improved run game in the Tebow style should help Manning's passing.. it won't though because to do what Peyton does you need a rhythm. This is why I say it is so difficult to do what Tebow did in such a limited role. Especially with no receivers.

* Until Defensive Coordinators figured it out.

Cito Pelon
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM

The bolded are all correctable, IMO, with coaching and reps. I'm one of the crowd that says they shouldn't have given up on Tebow so readily. They should have gone full-court press polishing his talents. Dude has 'winner' written all over him.

Circle Orange
03-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes, we KNOW Tim sucks as a qb...and I'm not even going to qualify it by talking about "how great a guy" he is, etc., etc. My mailman is a "great guy" and he can't play either.

In this and other news, water is wet and the sun is hot. ;D

txtebow
03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Tebow's passing is incredibly flawed and he needs REP after REP including a full off season to improve this. I wish him nothing but the best and I truly believe that he will be the starter in NY at some point in 2012. TEBOW deserves 90% of the credit for returning Bronco football from the DARK AGES to a fun, edge of your seat affair that we witnessed in 2011. 2011 was one of the most enjoyable seasons in my 25 years of watching Bronco football........hopefully it is a foreshadowing of a great 2012 with Mr. Manning at the helm now. I simply cannot relate to anyone who would choose to denegrate the accomplishments of our team while it was led by Tim after a 1-4 start to a 8-8 finish and our second playoff win since 1999.........he will always have my respect for his efforts in the 2011 season.

NUB
03-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Nah. Decker had serious separation problems all season; DT struggled as well, best put as issues of inexperience ordinary to young receivers. Fells was the only one who seemed to understand zone defenses. You can have instances of Tebow missing wide open guys, and he did that probably at least once every game while he went for the big play, but it doesn't reflect on his potential as a QB whatsoever. The guy has only started 16-NFL games. He struggled at times, but what young QB doesn't? And Denver's offensive gameplans were plain woeful last season with almost criminal lack of legit (read: unpredictable; not on 3rd and long) playaction passes and screens. I remember screaming almost the whole season for one real playaction pass and we all know what happened when, gasp, they did it. This short-attention span approach to the QB position is ridiculous. Tebow's flaws are all ordinary, as far as I'm concerned, and his potential is simply insane. Imagine if Tebow were just a 55% passer; with his running ability and intangibles, does that not make him look fairly scary? What if he got to 60%? I mean, the guy has giant NFL playmaker written all over him.

BroncoBeavis
03-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Ummm...what?

Yeah, we looked at this myth towards the end of last season, when it came out that other teams had thrown tons more screens. I think Cam threw something on the order of 3 times as many screens as Tebow.

Tebow rarely rarely threw short. Part of that was him... but they should've been calling screens to help the kid out, especially early in games and on 1st down. But that was against McCoy's religion I think.

Anywho, how come all these new Teebs threads keep popping up courtesy of the people who couldn't stand the guy. Then every time someone tries to defend the kid, we get told to STFUAGTFO.

maher_tyler
03-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Ummm...what?

I only remember a handful of screens with Tebow at QB.

barryr
03-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, we looked at this myth towards the end of last season, when it came out that other teams had thrown tons more screens. I think Cam threw something on the order of 3 times as many screens as Tebow.

Tebow rarely rarely threw short. Part of that was him... but they should've been calling screens to help the kid out, especially early in games and on 1st down. But that was against McCoy's religion I think.

Anywho, how come all these new Teebs threads keep popping up courtesy of the people who couldn't stand the guy. Then every time someone tries to defend the kid, we get told to STFUAGTFO.

I'm guessing this is another reason they wanted the "Tebow fans" to go away so they can continue to rip Tebow even though he is gone and have no one around to defend him. But they only hated Tebow because of his fans though. Sure.

Captain 'Dre
03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
12,315 post rule.

winstoncup bronco
03-25-2012, 08:42 PM
[/B]

I'm guessing this is another reason they wanted the "Tebow fans" to go away so they can continue to rip Tebow even though he is gone and have no one around to defend him. But they only hated Tebow because of his fans though. Sure.

I know, how dare anyone appreciate or acknowledge something good by a Broncos player.

They'll tell you QB is the most important position on the field, then proceed to tell you a hundred different ways how the QB was not the reason for last year's success.

enjolras
03-25-2012, 10:56 PM
I know, how dare anyone appreciate or acknowledge something good by a Broncos player.

They'll tell you QB is the most important position on the field, then proceed to tell you a hundred different ways how the QB was not the reason for last year's success.

I guess for me.. I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by last seasons "success". The playoff win was amazing, but the team finished .500 and backed into the playoffs losing 4 out of their last 5 games.

TonyR
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
It appears that our suspicions were right all along--the Broncos sought a cure for Tebowmania sooner than we were told.

According to Tania Gangiuli of the Florida Times-Union, Denver started shopping Tebow during last month's pre-draft Combine:

The Broncos began quietly shopping the quarterback at the NFL scouting combine in February. When the Broncos became the frontrunners to acquire former Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. Tebow’s days in Denver seemed numbered.

The narrative that kept the kids nestled comfortably and sleeping peacefully in their beds all over Broncos Country--namely, that this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get Peyton Manning and that the Broncos were more than comfortable to go into 2012 with Tebow as their starter--was, apparently, a spoonful of sugar fed to Tebowmaniacs to help the medicine go down.

The aftertaste? Bitter.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncos-shopped-tebow-during-combine