PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Hunger Games

Fedaykin
03-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Anyone read this, or planning to go see the movie?

I heard the buzz about the movie so I decided to read the book last night. It's a "young adult" book but was most definitely an interesting read none-the-less. On par I'd say with classics of the young adult sci-fi book genre like Ender's Game, Animal Farm, etc. The best way to describe it would be a combination of 1984, Survivor, Big Brother, Gladiator with a garnish of psychosis.

However, I'm sure a lot here won't like it since it's a book with a empowered young girl as the main character.

schaaf
03-24-2012, 04:50 PM

I heard the buzz about the movie so I decided to read the book last night. It's a "young adult" book but was most definitely an interesting read none-the-less. On par I'd say with classics of the young adult sci-fi book genre like Ender's Game, Animal Farm, etc. The best way to describe it would be a combination of 1984, Survivor, Big Brother, Gladiator with a garnish of psychosis.

However, I'm sure a lot here won't like it since it's a book with a empowered young girl as the main character.

I'm perfectly fine with that as long as she can make a decent ham sammich

Fedaykin
03-24-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm perfectly fine with that as long as she can make a decent ham sammich

What are your thoughts on roasted squirrel?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Read it a year ago/saw it last night. Very good movie and a faithful adaptation. And, in fact, I like the movie Katniss better than the book. Less whiny

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
The books unfortunately get progressively worse. The third is just bad

Fedaykin
03-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Read it a year ago/saw it last night. Very good movie and a faithful adaptation. And, in fact, I like the movie Katniss better than the book. Less whiny

It the actress an appropriate fit? I have no idea about her, but on first glance she appears to be the prototypical starlet rather than an industrious tomboy.

Fedaykin
03-24-2012, 04:55 PM

That's unfortunate, but I suppose not surprising. The author does little to setup any sort of realistic path toward additional stories. Of course, when you start with the premise of teens being pitted against each other in a fight to the death, you really can't expect a grand epic story I suppose.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 04:55 PM
It the actress an appropriate fit? I have no idea about her, but on first glance she appears to be the prototypical starlet rather than an industrious tomboy.

She's perfect. She cut her teeth in the indie world (the winter's bone)..shes not a disney actress or anything. I think she's in every scene of the movie and completely carries it. I'd be pretty surprised if you're disappointed in the adaptation. The book is always better than the movie, sure, but this is pretty damn good.

TonyR
03-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Yes.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2012/03/jennifer-lawrence-looks-pretty-different-irl/

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 04:57 PM
That's unfortunate, but I suppose not surprising. The author does little to setup any sort of realistic path toward additional stories. Of course, when you start with the premise of teens being pitted against each other in a fight to the death, you really can't expect a grand epic story I suppose.

Well, the stories become less personal. The Hunger Games was about Katniss in the arena, and essentially taking care of her sister. We were experiencing something overwhelming with her. But then they start becoming about Panem's revolution and the author is completely out of her depth. And seeing a revolution from the eyes of a 16 year old girl is ..umm..not interesting. The second book isn't too bad, and youll breeze through it. But I thought the third book was pretty ****.

ColoradoDarin
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
My wife read the books and saw it last night with her friends. I might read the book sometime, but in no hurry.

Fedaykin
03-24-2012, 04:58 PM
She's perfect. She cut her teeth in the indie world (the winter's bone)..shes not a disney actress or anything. I think she's in every scene of the movie and completely carries it. I'd be pretty surprised if you're disappointed in the adaptation. The book is always better than the movie, sure, but this is pretty damn good.

Excellent! I was worried they'd cast some starlet who wouldn't know which end of the arrow to notch =)

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Actually the entire thing was well casted, maybe except for the girl who played Clove. And if thats my only issue, im nitpicking.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Excellent! I was worried they'd cast some starlet who wouldn't know which end of the arrow to notch =)

Yeah, totally go see it. If you enjoyed the book, cant see why you wouldnt enjoy the movie. And its cool to see it portrayed on screen.

Jay3
03-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I saw it last night with the family (my kids and wife read the books).

It was well done, but I'd advise any men here to skip it. It's unmistakably a teen thing.

TonyR
03-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Movie got a pedestrian 68 on Metacritic...

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hunger-games

86% on Rotten Tomatoes...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games/

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 05:03 PM

It was well done, but I'd advise any men here to skip it. It's unmistakably a teen thing.

I can like some pretty "unmanly" ****, but i disagree. Its not to be grouped in with twilight, and its tracking as a 4-quadrant flick, and I know plenty of grown men that have enjoyed the first novel (as said, it gets worse). It has wide appeal.

Fedaykin
03-24-2012, 05:08 PM

Unless it deviates a lot from the book, it's something a person of any age/gender can like if they're open minded. It's not an emotionally and intellectually empty exploitation book like Twilight, etc.

Jay3
03-24-2012, 05:10 PM
It was teeny bopper to me. I had a good time. But it was obvious teen chick lit.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 05:12 PM
It was teeny bopper to me. I had a good time. But it was obvious teen chick lit.

Considering you never read the book, its kind of hard for you to say its "obvious teen chick lit," no? Unless youre an expert in these sorts of things. That audience will certainly (and has) embraced it, but unlike some of its contemporaries, Hunger Games has a mass appeal.

Crushaholic
03-24-2012, 09:39 PM
The is NOT "teen chick lit". While there IS an underlying love story, it's really about survival in a corrupt world. I'm waiting for "My Sweet Saga" to be made into a movie. The fountain nookie scene would be EPIC...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-24-2012, 10:58 PM
The is NOT "teen chick lit". While there IS an underlying love story, it's really about survival in a corrupt world. I'm waiting for "My Sweet Saga" to be made into a movie. The fountain nookie scene would be EPIC...

ha! There's been a lot of talk about that the past week. But thats all the info I can give right now.

Mr.Meanie
03-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Read the first and second book a few months ago and thought they were pretty good. The comment someone made that the books get progressively worse is dead on - I'm halfway through the third one and can't bring myself to finish it.

I plan on seeing it but I'll probably wait a few weeks after the hype dies down.

Fedaykin
03-29-2012, 12:20 PM
So I read all three books now, haven't been to the movie yet.

The third book is terrible, particular the way in which the author performed some serious character assassination with her own protagonist and how she went about treating her characters as game pieces instead of characters -- ironically much like the games she writes about.

I have to wonder if it was intentional or meant ironically or not.

ludo21
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
kids version of saw...

good book though

gyldenlove
03-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Watched the movie last night, was decent but nothing special to someone who hasn't read the books.

The camera work was pretty shotty in several scenes, the effects were well done and didn't take over the movie. The acting was pretty good, Woody Harrelson did an outstanding job.

Punisher
03-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Good movie but no Oscar winning performance

Dexter
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Read books 1 and 2, partway through the last one now.

The movie was really good, and followed the book fairly closely. I was surprised how good the movie was, I had my doubts.

A++

Punisher
03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
And if you read the book that's kool but it has nothing to do with being a good movie just like the movie lovely bones it was horrible but the book was good

Dexter
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
And if you read the book that's kool but it has nothing to do with being a good movie just like the movie lovely bones it was horrible but the book was good

I didn't think it would be good, but I thought they actually did a fairly good job. So it exceeded my expectations.

Apparently a majority of critics agree with me http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hunger_games/

Definitely not best picture material, or even remotely close to it. But still really good for what it is.

bendog
03-29-2012, 02:19 PM

ah hah. I knew I recognized her. Winter's Bone was an outstanding film, though dark. I have no interest in this though.

baja
03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
That's one of the things I don't like about living here, I'll be 4 to 6 months before I see it.

DarkHorse30
03-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Running Man II? - I can't really buy into "the hunger games" concept.

How about "the I'm so fat I could be 2 people" games?

yerner
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Fag test.

Shananahan
03-29-2012, 05:16 PM
That's one of the things I don't like about living here, I'll be 4 to 6 months before I see it.
That's what the internet is for.

There's no reason to be in a hurry to watch this movie, though.

BroncoMan4ever
03-29-2012, 05:23 PM

Dude, no offense but this book is nowhere near the level of enders game or animal farm. The female empowerment is a plus but the book also has a tendency to make the main girl not particularly likeable

Shananahan
03-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Since when is Animal Farm considered young-adult, or even sci-fi? Is that just because they make you read it in high school?

snowspot66
03-31-2012, 12:50 AM
So I read all three books now, haven't been to the movie yet.

The third book is terrible, particular the way in which the author performed some serious character assassination with her own protagonist and how she went about treating her characters as game pieces instead of characters -- ironically much like the games she writes about.

I have to wonder if it was intentional or meant ironically or not.

*Potential vague spoilers of entire series*

I actually really like the third book and I went into it with a lot of concern having read a lot of bad reviews. I didn't see anything out of line with the characters or the plot. The characters WERE pieces the entire time. It was just a continuation of the game. The games aren't really THE game either. Just a representation of it. The game is power and control. President Snow brought that all together quite nicely. It started in book one and like promised never ended until the players were dead or victorious. It is in my opinion entirely realistic in the way everything unfolds.

I've seen a lot of people complain about the way the series ends. It may be a bit anticlimactic to some but it seems very real and correct to me. I think a lot of people want more information on the larger picture but it really is a character study. From the very beginning it's through the main characters eyes and thoughts. There is no all encompassing happy ending, just what the characters make of their ending.

Shananahan
03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
I can't imagine anybody over the age of 16 who hadn't already read and enjoyed the book enjoying this movie.

McDman
03-31-2012, 03:01 AM

I thought the ending of the second was awesome. The third had a great premise but the execution was poor.

UberBroncoMan
03-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Yes.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2012/03/jennifer-lawrence-looks-pretty-different-irl/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xbjLRwY9x4w/TXKuTPrlAxI/AAAAAAAASR8/BsavkI1VOcU/s1600/JenniferLawrence-TwoShot.jpg

http://hungergamesmovie.org/images/jennifer-lawrences-HG-premiere-hair.jpg

All women look different w/o makeup and stylized hair.

baja
03-31-2012, 08:20 AM
The movie I want to see is this;

http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

BroncoBen
04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Watched the movie last night, was decent but nothing special to someone who hasn't read the books.

The camera work was pretty shotty in several scenes, the effects were well done and didn't take over the movie. The acting was pretty good, Woody Harrelson did an outstanding job.

I finally got a chance to watch the movie the other evening, I did read the books and the movie was very close to the books.

But I agree.. something was off in the camera work and the sound, while I understand quite can add to an effect, some scenes seemed lacking.

Overall I thought it was good, if they keep to the script and match the books .. it should be a good series of movies.

Garcia Bronco
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Jennifer was in Xmen fc as Mystique.

That One Guy
04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I read this thread originally and took the advice that it wasn't for guys so I had my wife read the books. She loved them and read all three over the course of about a week. I mentioned that people thought the books got worse as they went along and she completely disagreed and said the later books could potentially be better than the earlier one. She couldn't decide in the end which was better.

Yesterday it just worked out that we both had days off so she wanted me to go see the movie. I haven't read the books but knew the concept overall and thought the idea was intriguing. I still think if the idea had been intended for manly action flicks, it could've been cool, but as is... definitely gotta agree that it wasn't a man movie. Even beyond that, I thought the movie was terribly executed. I understand they have to cut things from the book but they seemed to cut things that were crucial to the understanding of what was going on. For example, that they didn't convey the idea of the resistance salute or whatever was annoying. It just randomly happened like 2 or 3 times.

Then you get into the meat of the war and it was just downright lame. Yeah, the girl gets caught in a net and then they cut her out and what do you do? Get out of the kill zone or embrace in an opening right next to it? Oh you have a tree line you could use for cover and concealment? Noooo... you better step into this field to take a shot, it'll be more dramatic. Oh, there's people hunting you? Well you should definitely walk right across this rock basin rather than sticking to the cover and circling around. Luckily for them, someone let them in on the secret that you weren't allowed to be shot while silhouetting because that was ALWAYS the answer.

My gripes could keep going. In the end, interesting concept, terrible execution. I completely don't understand the hype.

Chris
04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I had never read the books, didn't know much of anything about them except that it took the core conceit of Battle Royale. I was totally riveted, really enjoyed the movie because I was both emotionally invested in the characters and very much wrapped up in the, admittedly tacky, world. This probably caused me to gloss over any faults. There were a couple scenes that didn't make complete sense that my girlfriend (fan of the books) filled in for me. I thought the acting and casting were great. I loved the way it was shot (most memorably during the call for the reaping). Thought it was a nice departure from the very clean, "fixed" look of many of the big franchises.

A coworker mentioned to me that the action itself in the games was quite lame and, thinking back, I have to agree. It didn't occur to me during the movie though.

I liked it considerably more than Harry Potter. I think it has something for adults. Also I'd love to bang Jennifer Lawrence.

bendog
04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I Also I'd love to bang Jennifer Lawrence.

She's 21

Dexter
04-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Dude, no offense but this book is nowhere near the level of enders game or animal farm. The female empowerment is a plus but the book also has a tendency to make the main girl not particularly likeable

This, I really did have a hard time liking Katniss. I ended up liking her character because she had a lot of balls at the end of the 3rd book doing what she did, but there was a lot of "woe is me" when there were other characters suffering more than she was.

PS. Ender's game was awesome, haven't read animal farm.

Chris
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
She's 21

I'm 27.

Problem?

BroncoBen
04-04-2012, 02:25 PM
.... I think it has something for adults. Also I'd love to bang Jennifer Lawrence.
All I know is Jennifer Lawrence is soooo hot as a natural blonde.. i believe she is 22 years old. This actress is going to be someone to watch.

Miss I.
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
All I know is Jennifer Lawrence is soooo hot as a natural blonde.. i believe she is 22 years old. This actress is going to be someone to watch.

Don't you watch all actresses? ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
This, I really did have a hard time liking Katniss. I ended up liking her character because she had a lot of balls at the end of the 3rd book doing what she did, but there was a lot of "woe is me" when there were other characters suffering more than she was.

PS. Ender's game was awesome, haven't read animal farm.

Oh, she can get pretty annoying in the book, but "movie katniss" sort of discarded her crappy, catty qualities. I couldnt picture movie katniss making fun of other tributes, or being so wishy washy.

I still think the third book is a pile of suck

Fedaykin

I should probably clarify that I don't hold Ender's game in particularly high regard. It's a decent book, but not great. Same for this one. Both with simple, heavy handed and predictable plots but their main appeal being the main character and their struggles in a unique and perverse situation.

Chris
04-04-2012, 02:33 PM
All joking aside, I love Lawrence's talent and I look forward to seeing her in more. Josh Hutcherson was excellent, as were Kravitz, Tucci, Woody Harrelson (of course). Wes Bentley kind of sucked.

bendog
04-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Not me! I saw her in Xmen and Winters Bone. She's attractive and I thought her performance in Winters Bone was excellent. Maybe the best movie I've seen in a year, though I also thought Wild Target was a great screwball comedy

SonOfLe-loLang
04-04-2012, 02:54 PM
All joking aside, I love Lawrence's talent and I look forward to seeing her in more. Josh Hutcherson was excellent, as were Kravitz, Tucci, Woody Harrelson (of course). Wes Bentley kind of sucked.

I like Wes as an actor and its good to see him in things again. Back in the early 2000's, he was a ****ing nightmare

Chris
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I like Wes as an actor and its good to see him in things again. Back in the early 2000's, he was a ****ing nightmare

To work with or performance wise? To me it's as if he has one face.

kamakazi_kal
04-04-2012, 03:09 PM
these are a PG-13 ripoff of the japanese movie "battle royal" (R version)

Chris
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM

While the initial conceit may be the same, this has a far more interesting construct around it.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-04-2012, 03:16 PM
To work with or performance wise? To me it's as if he has one face.

To work with...he wasnt exactly, umm responsible...there was a reason he fell off the face of the earth for a while.

Chris
04-04-2012, 03:23 PM
To work with...he wasnt exactly, umm responsible...there was a reason he fell off the face of the earth for a while.

I think the only thing the guy has going for him is he looks good on camera. Plenty of people fit that profile. He didn't seem strong enough for the role.

snowspot66
04-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
hunger games oh thats about some dude at a hot dog eating contest who is trying to beat that Japanese guy who is the 5 time reining champion.
oh it such a inspiring story. its like rocky for gluttonous people . you should see it.
i hear the theme song is awesome " i wish i was a
Oscar Mayer weiner "
heres a clip from the movie

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pNocZiJEJ8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gyldenlove
04-04-2012, 06:24 PM
I had never read the books, didn't know much of anything about them except that it took the core conceit of Battle Royale. I was totally riveted, really enjoyed the movie because I was both emotionally invested in the characters and very much wrapped up in the, admittedly tacky, world. This probably caused me to gloss over any faults. There were a couple scenes that didn't make complete sense that my girlfriend (fan of the books) filled in for me. I thought the acting and casting were great. I loved the way it was shot (most memorably during the call for the reaping). Thought it was a nice departure from the very clean, "fixed" look of many of the big franchises.

A coworker mentioned to me that the action itself in the games was quite lame and, thinking back, I have to agree. It didn't occur to me during the movie though.

I liked it considerably more than Harry Potter. I think it has something for adults. Also I'd love to bang Jennifer Lawrence.

On the emotional front, I felt they really oversold the concept in the early going with the sister who seemed borderline manic depressive and the mother who couldn't have been more absent had she never been born - but maybe this was exacerbated by the fat chick who sat next to me who cried before the intro was over and then continued to produce such amount of nasal mucus and tears she was a dried up husk by the end of the movie.

Some of the acting was good, I wasn't a big fan of the Elizabeth Banks casting.

Most if not all of the "action" sequences were poorly shot, and several of the scenery shots that should give context were poorly executed. The effect filled shots in the city were well done though.

I guess because I haven't read the books I found the story very basic and many of the subtle things that have meaning in the books I didn't pick up on which left me underwhelmed - I had the same experience when I watched the first Harry Potter film back in the day without having read the book.

Shananahan
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
You know what they call The Hunger Games in France?

Battle Royale with cheese.

ZONA
04-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Previews looked decent. As long as it's not that predictable crap, I can deal with it.

I heard Drive Angry was really really bad but thought I would watch it anyway and I don't think there was a movie worse then this. I definitely got robbed of my time watching that movie, lol.