PDA

View Full Version : Projectile Vomit If We Draft This Kid- Zach Brown

Ronnie Tsunami
03-23-2012, 06:44 AM
This is thread 1 of ______ of a series of questionable players we may gamble on with pick #25.

TL ; DR = Zach Brown = "Idiot Cannonball Remix" Polar opposite of Joe Mays. Runs around with his head cut off. Excels in the pass game, bad in run support.

Zach Brown
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 244 | 40-Time: 4.50 (2012 NFL Combine), 4.47 (Pro Day)

Injury History: Nothing significant

NFL Player Comparison: Thomas Davis

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2008 8 6 0.0 0.0 0 0
2009 13 47 4.0 0.0 0 1
2010 13 72 1.5 0.0 0 3
2011 13 105 13.5 5.5 4 3
Totals 47 230 19.0 5.5 4 7

This guy fits the John Fox linebacker mold spot on.

Brown is a 6'1 244 Lb linebacker who runs a 4.47 (UNC pro day)

expert scoop:

Strengths: Brown finds the ball, reacts, and finishes through the ball carrier. His speed is without a doubt his strongest asset and the key to his game. Brown is a natural mover, and his strength isn't compensated by his play speed, as he is well-polished in removing himself from blocks and getting to the ball. He is strong over the tight end and has the footwork and hip mobility to run with any tight end in coverage. There are few running backs even at the NFL level who can outrun Brown and get an edge in the run game, and few will slip open against him in the pass game. While he excels out in space, he is also able to play in the box and sniff out runs as a gap defender and make explosive plays at the point of attack. He uses his pure athletic ability and speed to dip and run by linemen into the backfield. Brown also displays the power to run through running backs both in protection and carrying the ball. He is a productive tackler and rarely falls off the ball once getting there, making it likely he will continue that high-volume production for years to come.

Weaknesses: Like his fellow Tar Heels with first-round potential, there are questions surrounding other aspects of Brown's game and life. He has shown a tendency to disappear for long stretches and will need to be reeled in while sticking to the playbook at the next level to assure that he is playing to his potential. While Brown could stand to put on some weight, there are very few things that Brown needs to do physically to mold his game for the next level; many of the changes revolve around his work habits.

my interpretation:

Tremendous game speed. Huge asset in pass coverage. Brown's biggest issue is that he has questionable work ethic and isn't much of an asset in run support. He takes poor angles and isn't a solid wrap up tackler. Basically an oversized safety who doesn't punish ball carriers despite his built up momentum.

Still, here's why you should be terrified of the prospect of drafting this kid. Fox has always had an affinity for medium sized, speedy guys who can cover any tight end they are matched up against (Thomas Davis, Jon Beason, James Anderson).

The game has changed over the last 10 years- your linebackers NEED to be able to hold their own against the Graham's and the Gronkowski's. I think Fox was rattled by Gronk's performance against us and DJ's inability to stick with him.

In any event, this pick would piss me off quite a bit. I think he's a poor man's thomas davis without the injury concerns. Regardless, I am still terrified that he will become a Bronco, especially since Fox has proven that he doesn't value DT as much as other clubs do.

g6matty
03-23-2012, 06:51 AM
john fox and jack del rio know line backers. fox's success rate of taking backers in the top 3 rounds is impressive

dan morgan will witherspoon thomas davis james anderson jon beason dan connor were all picked by fox in carolina.

so if in fact we were to draft zach brown i think we should all trust his judgement. his track record for linebacker talent is really, really good.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-23-2012, 06:54 AM
john fox and jack del rio know line backers. fox's success rate of taking backers in the top 3 rounds is impressive

dan morgan will witherspoon thomas davis james anderson jon beason dan connor were all picked by john fox in caronlina.

so if in fact we were to draft zach brown i think we should all trust his judgement. his track record for linebacker talent is really, really good.

I think the "any linebacker we draft is gonna be good" mentality is asking for it. Sure, we could just "trust" them and their impressive track record. Brown fits Fox's mold more than Davis ever did, (which is impressive, considering how athletic Davis is/was, and how adept he is in coverage) but he's also a bigger project than any of these guys, and a bigger risk. It's not a sure thing with him.

g6matty
03-23-2012, 06:59 AM
we gambled on von miller beings he didnt even play in a 4-3. im all in with foxs judgement

barryr
03-23-2012, 07:02 AM
He is a good prospect, but guys like David and Wagner could be had in the 2nd round and I think can and will be just as good, if not better and seem similar to the LB's Fox had in Carolina.

Punisher
03-23-2012, 07:06 AM
This is thread 1 of ______ of a series of questionable players we may gamble on with pick #25.

TL ; DR = Zach Brown = "Idiot Cannonball Remix" Polar opposite of Joe Mays. Runs around with his head cut off. Excels in the pass game, bad in run support.

Zach Brown
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 244 | 40-Time: 4.50 (2012 NFL Combine), 4.47 (Pro Day)

Injury History: Nothing significant

NFL Player Comparison: Thomas Davis

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2008 8 6 0.0 0.0 0 0
2009 13 47 4.0 0.0 0 1
2010 13 72 1.5 0.0 0 3
2011 13 105 13.5 5.5 4 3
Totals 47 230 19.0 5.5 4 7

This guy fits the John Fox linebacker mold spot on.

Brown is a 6'1 244 Lb linebacker who runs a 4.47 (UNC pro day)

expert scoop:

my interpretation:

Tremendous game speed. Huge asset in pass coverage. Brown's biggest issue is that he has questionable work ethic and isn't much of an asset in run support. He takes poor angles and isn't a solid wrap up tackler. Basically an oversized safety who doesn't punish ball carriers despite his built up momentum.

Still, here's why you should be terrified of the prospect of drafting this kid. Fox has always had an affinity for medium sized, speedy guys who can cover any tight end they are matched up against (Thomas Davis, Jon Beason, James Anderson).

The game has changed over the last 10 years- your linebackers NEED to be able to hold their own against the Graham's and the Gronkowski's. I think Fox was rattled by Gronk's performance against us and DJ's inability to stick with him.

In any event, this pick would piss me off quite a bit. I think he's a poor man's thomas davis without the injury concerns. Regardless, I am still terrified that he will become a Bronco, especially since Fox has proven that he doesn't value DT as much as other clubs do.

Did he take the Wonderlic test yet?

Carmelo15
03-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Zach Brown is probably high on Fox's list. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we take him in the 1st. But I'm not expecting that to happen. I think we draft either Lavonte David round 2 or Sean Spence in round 3. These guys are going to players in the league. I tend to like Spence the most because while he is the smallest of the three, he has shown he is adept at playing in the middle (our biggest weakness). He also has GREAT instincts. I think the Broncos might like him enough to take him at the end of round 2. Love David as well. Reminds me of John Mobley actually

BroncoBen
03-23-2012, 07:37 AM

dan morgan will witherspoon thomas davis james anderson jon beason dan connor were all picked by fox in carolina.

In John Fox and Del Rio I trust.. I haven't paid much attention to the linebackers coming out of college.. heck I was all in for drafting Arizona States LB Vontaze Burfict.

Maybe the Broncos still do.. seems like Burfict has dropped way down in the draft.. had a pretty bad pro-day after having a bad combine.

Baba Booey
03-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Ditto on trusting Fox's LB judgement. He can pick 'em.

ColoradoDarin
03-23-2012, 08:54 AM
I'll note a few of his drawbacks: he likes his chicken fried. Cold beer, but only on Friday nights. Has a penchant for clothes, especially jeans that fit just right. And always has his radio up. Sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine. His house isn't much to talk about, but it's filled with love. And if it weren't for tequila and pretty senoritas, he'd have no reason to stay. And all the muchachas, they call him big poppa, when he throws pesos their way.

So if that's okay with Fox, I'll trust his judgement.

Ronnie Tsunami
03-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I'll note a few of his drawbacks: he likes his chicken fried. Cold beer, but only on Friday nights. Has a penchant for clothes, especially jeans that fit just right. And always has his radio up. Sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine. His house isn't much to talk about, but it's filled with love. And if it weren't for tequila and pretty senoritas, he'd have no reason to stay. And all the muchachas, they call him big poppa, when he throws pesos their way.

So if that's okay with Fox, I'll trust his judgement.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/files/2011/09/Zac-Brown.jpg

Steve Sewell
03-23-2012, 09:00 AM

No we should trust Robert Turban. That's why he's paid the big bucks.

Steve Sewell
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
In John Fox and Del Rio I trust.. I haven't paid much attention to the linebackers coming out of college.. heck I was all in for drafting Arizona States LB Vontaze Burfict.

Maybe the Broncos still do.. seems like Burfict has dropped way down in the draft.. had a pretty bad pro-day after having a bad combine.

Where the hell do you get these great pics for your avatar? :wiggle:

chrisp
03-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I know this probably goes against the spirit of the mane, but i agree with those posters who say that we can rely on the judgement of Fox and Del Rio when it comes to linebackers.

Really, if those guys think someone is better than you think he is, you're just going to have to accept that maybe, on this occasion, with great reluctance, you are going to have to admit that maybe they know something you don't. You know, what with all that "NFL Experience" and stuff.....

Skills-wise however, I think he seems to be the perfect fit for us. I think that on those occasions we got blown out the big weakness that got exposed was our linebackers' coverage skills. The main issues with this kid do seem to be around work ethic - can't help but feel that the run support issues have more to do with that than with any lack of talent.

I'm not sure what The Fox/D-R track record is on headcases - maybe they have a better track-record than most with linebackers becuase they stay away from guys like this? So don't go assuming that they will overlook that side of things just because he fits the scheme.

However I don't think that you get sure-fire all pros when you pick at #25 - there will always be concerns in the scouting report once you get outside of the top-10.....

Ronnie Tsunami
03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
No we should trust Robert Turban. That's why he's paid the big bucks.

nothing's a sure thing in this league, steve. especially with developmental prospects like ZB.

Steve Sewell
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
nothing's a sure thing in this league, steve. especially with developmental prospects like ZB.

Very rarely do you get a sure thing at the end of the first round. Broncos fans are acutely aware of this risk.

chrisp
03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Where the hell do you get these great pics for your avatar? :wiggle:

There's this thing called the internet and its just full of pictures like that.

Oh yeah, and it has the odd site like the mane thrown in here and there....who knew?

Sarcasm aside, I must agree our friend Broncoben does seem to have exceedingly fine taste in laydeez.....

Ronnie Tsunami
03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Very rarely do you get a sure thing at the end of the first round. Broncos fans are acutely aware of this risk.

right, and that's why going with the opinion that "whoever fox takes at LB is O.K." is risky. he has great judgement and you have to give him the benefit of the doubt if he goes with brown... but i'd be happier to give fox the benefit of the doubt with a lavonte david round 2... and i wouldn't projectile vomit.

boppool
03-23-2012, 09:34 AM

This!

If Fox/Del Rio thinks he's good, I'm all for it.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2012, 09:41 AM

If you're taking suggestions, I'd ask that you list them all in one thread. Not sure we need 100 different threads simply listing potential questionable picks by the Broncos. That really would require its own subforum.

RocBronc
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
With Miller, Williams and Woodyard at OLB why would the Broncos even consider drafting this guy anyways... not something to worry about IMO.

g6matty
03-23-2012, 09:52 AM
With Miller, Williams and Woodyard at OLB why would the Broncos even consider drafting this guy anyways... not something to worry about IMO.

he practiced most of the senior bowl at middle linebacker. we also interviewd him there