PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, Cornerback Tracy Porter reach agreement

kevkyle10
03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Looks like he signed for 1 year.

http://broncotalk.net/2012/03/32329/broncos-news/broncos-cb-tracy-porter-reach-agreement/

broncogary
03-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I like it.

Crushisback
03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I like this signing alot!

kevkyle10
Sorry, I didn't see it was posted in the free agency thread.

Dr. Broncenstein
Lol this one's for Peyton.

Man-Goblin
03-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Like it. No chance of him feeling the wrath of bountygate, though, right?

BroncosMT
03-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Makes me a little nervous that it's only for a year.....hope they can do something more long term

Slightly Soiled
03-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Is he in danger of suspension over this bounty deal?

broncswin
03-22-2012, 07:41 PM
That's what I'm talking about!!!

yerner
03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
elway's ruining this team.

gunns
Oh hell yes!

yerner
Is he in danger of suspension over this bounty deal?

supposedly it will be just captains. i don't imagine he was a captain.

oubronco
03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Here we go

BroncoBen
So I see that he is young and talented... but what is this about him never being healthy for a whole season.. ?

Mogulseeker
I like the signing. Young, too.

What happened to Jameel McClain. Can we please give him a look?

Then we go all out for DT in the draft.

Baba Booey
Me gusta.

wolf754life
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
With manning allowing us to have a lead, and porter and champ in man to man, this should equate to more turnovers/sacks from doom and miller

The Moops
03-22-2012, 07:44 PM
He should walk up to Peyton with his phone and say, "I want you to see a video of my kid." Then show the interception he threw to Porter for 6 in Super XLIV... "Ooops, sorry Peyton. Didn't know I still had this on here!"

yerner
03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
With manning allowing us to have a lead, and porter and champ in man to man, this should equate to more turnovers/sacks from doom and miller

we need one more pass rusher i think.

BroncosMT
03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I like the signing. Young, too.

What happened to Jameel McClain. Can we please give him a look?

Then we go all out for DT in the draft.

I read somewhere.....that he was looking to re-sign with the Ravens due to the LB signings that the Broncos have done he feels that his window is closing and time would be cut.

I can't remember where I read that.....mile high report maybe

Dedhed
03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Nice signing. If he can prove he can stay healthy we'll have the inside track on a nice young player.

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Goodman? :wave:

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Theres a lot of small contracts going around cause the new TV deals are on the horizon. Which means payday. Cap will jump a huge amount compared to its normal increases.

oubronco
03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
we need one more pass rusher i think.

Possibly 2 DT's

Ratboy
03-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Good move while we build through the draft.

Ratboy
03-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Possibly 2 DT's

We're expected to resign Thomas.

edit:
Maybe not. I just read this tweet.

Marcus Thomas ‏ @MarcusThomas_79
Man I love Denver if only it was up to me

Hamrob
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Wish we could have signed him to a 3-4yr deal. The front office must be struggling. If he has a good season....we will be paying a premium to resign him.

Mogulseeker
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I read somewhere.....that he was looking to re-sign with the Ravens due to the LB signings that the Broncos have done he feels that his window is closing and time would be cut.

I can't remember where I read that.....mile high report maybe

Just Mays and Woodyard?

I have a hard tim believing McClain would spend much time on the bench because of those two.

I like Mays against the inside run. The pass? No dice.

The Broncos will lose to the Pats in the playoffs again until we sign a good cover linebacker who can blanket a TE.

The Porters signing is good though...

What is Goodman's cap hit? He really isn't a terrible CB. Looking at film, he got picked on a lot, and his ball skills leave a lot to be desired, but he can cover well.

oubronco
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM

edit:

It kinda sounds like they might want an upgrade but they better get a plan cause the one their using is ignoring DT's for some odd reason.

And I know it's early in the process but we need some studs on the D-line

TheReverend
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/webtrends/1/0/F/A/-/-/awyea.jpg

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 08:25 PM

edit:

Damn! This will piss me off. I've been standing up for Marcus since he was drafted. Let's go, Broncos. Sign my man, here. :cuss:

barryr
03-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Very good signing. Maybe Porter will stay healthy not trying to injure players like the Saints apparently were trying to do for awhile now. A must better sign than Trufant. Pat Sims would be a good pick up for DT.

bowtown
03-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Can we please cut Goodman now already?

Bmore Manning
03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Very good signing. Maybe Porter will stay healthy not trying to injure players like the Saints apparently were trying to do for awhile now. A must better sign than Trufant. Pat Sims would be a good pick up for DT.

Pat Sims is no good. I like McKinney and Hill, or Franklin and Garay..

barryr
03-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Pat Sims is no good. I like McKinney and Hill, or Franklin and Garay..

Franklin isn't much these days and the Saints replaced him with Bunkley.

El Guapo
03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Awesome signing. I'm surprised he lasted on the market as long as he did.

GoHAM
03-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Very excited by this signing. Hopefully he can play the full 19 game season.

Pony Boy
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Great that means Goodwin will be a Raider .......Manning will eat him alive

broncosteven
03-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Just Mays and Woodyard?

I have a hard tim believing McClain would spend much time on the bench because of those two.

I like Mays against the inside run. The pass? No dice.

The Broncos will lose to the Pats in the playoffs again until we sign a good cover linebacker who can blanket a TE.

The Porters signing is good though...

What is Goodman's cap hit? He really isn't a terrible CB. Looking at film, he got picked on a lot, and his ball skills leave a lot to be desired, but he can cover well.

Goodman would make a great nickle CB and depth should Porter go down. We could do a lot worse than Goodman at nickel

broncosteven
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
It kinda sounds like they might want an upgrade but they better get a plan cause the one their using is ignoring DT's for some odd reason.

And I know it's early in the process but we need some studs on the D-line

I read an article where Elway said he thought the hardest positions to play against were LB's like DT (Von Miller) and he said that he thought good CB's made the DL better.

I think they are trying to work from the secondary in, still hoping we land some good DT rotational guys in the draft.

hookemhess
03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I like this signing alot!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s400/ALOT.png

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
This is a great signing. The 1 yr deal tells me that Porter wasn't getting the big money offers he wanted and picked a team he felt he could have a good strong yr at. We are once again a place where players will want to come play.

Porter IMO is better the Goodman and this free us up to go front 7 or weapons for manning early in the draft.

Great move by Elway and company

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Wish we could have signed him to a 3-4yr deal. The front office must be struggling. If he has a good season....we will be paying a premium to resign him.

If that is the case then why wouldn't he just sign a 3-4 deal with a different team?

razorwire77
03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I shat on Goodman a lot last year, but honestly I hope he sticks around as a nickle or dime. He just lacks the physicality and recovery speed to be a no. 2 CB.

Champ/Porter/Goodman and potentially throw in a high (1st-3rd round draft pick) and that's not bad.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
even with his contract i don't have an issue with Goodman as the #3 CB. it's just him being the #2 and with us rolling champ to different receivers throughout the game often times he gets to cover the other teams #1 and he's not suited for that.

TheReverend
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
I shat on Goodman a lot last year, but honestly I hope he sticks around as a nickle or dime. He just lacks the physicality and recovery speed to be a no. 2 CB.

Champ/Porter/Goodman and potentially throw in a high (1st-3rd round draft pick) and that's not bad.

...if he lacks the physicality to play outside, he sure as **** doesnt have it to play inside...

razorwire77
03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
...if he lacks the physicality to play outside, he sure as **** doesnt have it to play inside...
He's a match up liability against physical receivers and obviously TE's inside, but I think he's got decent hips and pretty good skills breaking on the ball. If he's not getting constant action outside opposite champ, I think he'll be OK in dime/zone situations.

pricejj
03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Goodman's cap number is $5.58M, Porter will be $4M, and Champ is $9.5M...it would be a good idea for the Broncos to keep all three of these guys around...Jets have a similar situation with $20M tied up in 3 CB's.

Great move, just keep Goody too...

Drek
03-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Harris is already a better nickel option than Goodman. He's faster, far more physical, and can actually tackle. Why in the world would we give Goodman the $4.6M he's owed this year now?

Cut him, roll that cap savings into someone better. Find another rookie corner (or three) to compete in camp with Thompson and Vaughn for dime. Stop making life harder on the pass rushers than it really needs to be.

We've resolved CB#2 in good fashion. We're apparently hoping and praying that Nate Irving steals Joe Mays' job as our only MLB improvement. Still no answers at DT at all though.

I will say this, if ever we had to roll with drafted DTs out of the gate, Jack Del Rio is the guy to help pick and coach them. He's got a nice track record of grabbing DTs who can contribute quickly.

BroncoFanatic
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
elway's ruining this team.
LOL

Shananahan
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Harris is already a better nickel option than Goodman. He's faster, far more physical, and can actually tackle. Why in the world would we give Goodman the $4.6M he's owed this year now?
It's a shame they weren't able to just cut Goodman today and use some of that saved money to sign Porter to a longer deal. I like the signing, but I'd like it much, much more if it were for three more years.

Pony Boy
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Cut him, roll that cap savings into someone better. Find another rookie corner (or three) to compete in camp with Thompson and Vaughn for dime. Stop making life harder on the pass rushers than it really needs to be.

We've resolved CB#2 in good fashion. We're apparently hoping and praying that Nate Irving steals Joe Mays' job as our only MLB improvement. Still no answers at DT at all though.

I will say this, if ever we had to roll with drafted DTs out of the gate, Jack Del Rio is the guy to help pick and coach them. He's got a nice track record of grabbing DTs who can contribute quickly.

^
All of this

broncosteven
03-22-2012, 10:02 PM

I agree but if Porter goes down can Harris step up to #2 and them who would play nickel?

Shananahan
03-22-2012, 10:06 PM
It doesn't matter. Unless Goodman renegotiates his contract he's not worth it.

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Goodman not a good guy to slot for a nickel or dime job. One he makes too much money. 2 he isn't very quick and isn't great without the sideline on his right. Goodman will be let go but maybe not just yet. Most likely they will need Goodmans 5 mil a yr to add a player to DT rotation. Maybe one of the castoffs like Franklin or Garray, who knows. I just don't see keeping a 34 yr old 3rd CB at 5 mil a yr. They signed Porter to start, Goodman probably gets cut.

Hotrod
03-22-2012, 10:08 PM
LOL who???

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Maybe Broncos didn't want to pay the kind of guaranteed money porter wanted to sgin a long term deal? So Porter looking to have a big yr and hit market again. I like it. These guys play hard in that situation.

Plus I sort of take it all 1 yr at a time. Being a Bronco fan that is a good idea because we sort of shake things up a lot lately! :)

Our secondary better then last yr.

1-Still have Bailey
2-Carter, Moore, Harris have a whole offseason of work finally
3-Got Porter who is probably better then Goodman.
4-Signed Adams who can provide some vet stability for the young safetys.

Those aren't even reaches. Just sort of facts. Porter if healthy all yr probably much better then Goodman.

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
The Raiders will know every weakness Porter has. Allen was the DB coach in NO. Luckily Palmer likes to throw INTs.

JDB7821
03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Brandon Boykin in the 2nd would make a great nickle. He's a return man and McCoy could get creative with him on offense. He'd add an extra dimension and some youth to an older secondary.

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 10:13 PM
The Raiders will know every weakness Porter has. Allen was the DB coach in NO. Luckily Palmer likes to throw INTs.

Porter will know how Allen designs coverages and we know all his tricks already.

Doggcow
03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Brandon Boykin in the 2nd would make a great nickle. He's a return man and McCoy could get creative with him on offense. He'd add an extra dimension and some youth to an older secondary.

We have a great nickle corner in Chris Harris already.

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
The Broncos will know the Raiders defense, but the Raiders defense no match for Manning when hes on. I think Allen in Oakland is good for us. He will try to make same defense he always does most likely.

Hotrod
03-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Porter will know how Allen designs coverages and we know all his tricks already.

The AFC West is not even in question I'm already looking at how we lock up home field for the post season. I maybe optomistic but seriously how can we lose the West short of manning going down due to neck injury and our backup plan falling shor.....wait what???

Ok I'm going to bed now ;)

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 10:17 PM
With Adams and Porter coming over Broncos might be done adding players to the secondary. I doubt Moore and Carter going anywhere, they are too young to give up on. That maybe leaves room for what? 1 more safety? How many dbacks did Denver carry last yr?

They will probably still add ones and maybe tweak the back end of the roster some but they probably like the corners being Champ, Porter, Harris I doubt they spend much money or a high pick looking for a 4th CB right?

Vegas_Bronco
03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
This will more than make up for losing Perrish Cox. I would ask Goodman to reconstruct his deal but he's worth keeping on for sure.

JDB7821
03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
We have a great nickle corner in Chris Harris already.

I agree, I saw him do some good things. I just feel in this era a team can't have too many good corners and if Elway really believes in building the secondary first, Boykin can add a lot. He's valuable in the return game and can be worked in on offense too.

montrose
03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Lenny Walls
Kelly Herndon
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Dre' Bly
Andre Goodman

Next up, Tracy Porter. Enjoy the most thankless job you've ever had: playing CB across from Champ Bailey. It's nealry impossible to succeed, your held to the same standard of Champ by fans while being targeted a ton. Good luck!

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Lenny Walls
Kelly Herndon
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Dre' Bly
Andre Goodman

Next up, Tracy Porter. Enjoy the most thankless job you've ever had: playing CB across from Champ Bailey. It's nealry impossible to succeed, your held to the near impossible standard of Champ while being targeted a ton. Good luck!

The good news lots of chances to get big plays. Lately I think Goodman better then people think. Mostly because he hasn't had fleet footed playmaking safetys to let him jump routes.

Chris
03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
With Adams and Porter coming over Broncos might be done adding players to the secondary. I doubt Moore and Carter going anywhere, they are too young to give up on. That maybe leaves room for what? 1 more safety? How many dbacks did Denver carry last yr?

They will probably still add ones and maybe tweak the back end of the roster some but they probably like the corners being Champ, Porter, Harris I doubt they spend much money or a high pick looking for a 4th CB right?

No one is giving up on Carter. The kid can play.

Lev Vyvanse
03-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Lenny Walls
Kelly Herndon
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Dre' Bly
Andre Goodman

Next up, Tracy Porter. Enjoy the most thankless job you've ever had: playing CB across from Champ Bailey. It's nealry impossible to succeed, your held to the same standard of Champ by fans while being targeted a ton. Good luck!

I wish people would quit lumping him in with that trash. Dude could play.

Drek
03-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I agree but if Porter goes down can Harris step up to #2 and them who would play nickel?

Harris is more ready to be a #2 CB for the 2012 season than Goodman is. Old man is toast.

This is the risk every team lives with at corner. We need to bring in more depth. Ideal world we have Vaughn or Thompson as the 5th corner and a young guy with more upside is our dime guy. Doesn't change that there is no good reason to let Goodman take up a roster spot for next season.

maher_tyler
03-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I wish people would quit lumping him in with that trash. Dude could play.

Dude was gonna be special imo!

Punisher
03-22-2012, 11:06 PM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/139348/TRACY-PORTER-HAIR-HAIRCUT-PICTURES-PHOTOS.jpg

I like Porter but hes one of those "Hair cut guys"

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 11:08 PM
It's a shame they weren't able to just cut Goodman today and use some of that saved money to sign Porter to a longer deal. I like the signing, but I'd like it much, much more if it were for three more years.

Port has a serious history with being injured. That's largely why it was one year. He's never once played a full 16 game season.

yerner
03-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Lenny Walls
Kelly Herndon
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Dre' Bly
Andre Goodman

Amen.

pricejj
03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Harris is more ready to be a #2 CB for the 2012 season than Goodman is. Old man is toast.

This is the risk every team lives with at corner. We need to bring in more depth. Ideal world we have Vaughn or Thompson as the 5th corner and a young guy with more upside is our dime guy. Doesn't change that there is no good reason to let Goodman take up a roster spot for next season.

The Jets play in the same division as New England, and know the value of carrying 3 good CB's. They have Revis, Cromartie, and Kyle Wilson. There is simply no way to match up against Branch, Lloyd, Welker, Stallworth, Gonzalez, Gronkowski...without being STOCKED in the secondary.

Cap space is not an issue. The money would simply be rolled over to next year, if they didn't spend it this year. The Broncos are about $33M under the cap after this signing.

Porter has never played a full season anyway, so don't go giving up the farm.

Syd'quan Thompson runs a 4.75 forty, was drafted in the 7th round, is coming off an achilles, and will never start in the NFL...If you like him that much, put him on the practice squad.

...BTW Chris Harris is a good nickel, but he doesn't have Goody's speed.

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 11:19 PM
The Jets play in the same division as New England, and know the value of carrying 3 good CB's. They have Revis, Cromartie, and Kyle Wilson. There is simply no way to match up against Branch, Lloyd, Welker, Stallworth, Gonzalez, Gronkowski...without being STOCKED in the secondary.

Cap space is not an issue. The money would simply be rolled over to next year, if they didn't spend it this year. The Broncos are about $33M under the cap after this signing.

Syd'quan Thompson runs a 4.75 forty, was drafted in the 7th round, is coming off an achilles, and will never start in the NFL...If you like him that much, put him on the practice squad.

If Manning is getting 18 million and we were at 40-42 million. How do we have 33 million?

Shananahan
03-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Goodman..... speed..... ?

BroncoBuff
03-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Lol this one's for Peyton.

Kinda weird they sign the guy responsible for Peyton's worst-ever moment ???

UberBroncoMan
03-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Goodman..... speed..... ?

He actually used to be quite fast. Around 4.35 out of the draft.

Kinda weird they sign the guy responsible for Peyton's worst-ever moment ???

We signed Neil Smith in the 90's on account of his tormenting Elway.

cutthemdown
03-23-2012, 12:32 AM
Port has a serious history with being injured. That's largely why it was one year. He's never once played a full 16 game season.

Yes but he hasn't missed huge chunks except for first yr. NFL is a tough game doesn't sound like any of the injuries were too serious because he started 11 12 games a yr last 3 yrs.

pricejj
03-23-2012, 12:38 AM
If Manning is getting 18 million and we were at 40-42 million. How do we have 33 million?

I have no idea where PFT gets that number, but these are the cap hits for 2012 (based on Rotoworld/Spotrac data):

Index Pos. Player 2012 Cap Hit
Offense
1 1WR D. Thomas $1.18
2 2WR Eric Decker $1.25
3 3WR Andre Caldwell $2.00 *est.
4 4WR Matt Willis $1.26
5 5WR J. Hill $0.70
6 6WR Mark Dell $0.39
7 LT Ryan Clady $4.01
8 LG Zane Beadles $1.10
9 C Jeff Saturday
10 RG Chris Kuper $3.50
11 RT O. Franklin $1.00
12 OL RES J.D Walton $0.69
13 OL RES Manny Ramirez $0.70
14 OL RES Ryan Harris $0.70
15 OL RES Tony Hills $0.70
16 1TE Joel Dreessen
17 2TE Virgil Green $0.47
18 3TE Julius Thomas $0.56
19 1QB Peyton Manning $18.00
20 2QB Caleb Hanie
21 3QB Adam Weber $0.47
22 1RB Willis McGahee $1.50
23 2RB Knowshon Moreno $1.69
24 3RB J. Johnson $0.47
25 1FB A. Sylvester $0.39
Offense Total $42.72

Defense
26 1LCB Champ Bailey $9.50
27 2LCB Chris Harris $0.47
28 3LCB Tracy Porter $4.00
29 1LDE Robert Ayers $0.97
30 2LDE Jeremy Beal $0.50
31 1NT Ty Warren $5.25
32 2NT Marcus Thomas
33 1UT Kevin Vickerson $2.88
34 2UT Ryan McBean $1.26
35 3UT Ben Garland $0.49
36 1RDE Elvis Dumervil $14.50
37 2RDE Jeremy Beal $0.39
38 1RCB Andre Goodman $5.58
39 2RCB Cassius Vaughn $0.49
40 SOLB Von Miller $4.75
41 MLB J. Mays $4.00
42 WOLB D.J. Williams $5.00
43 LB RES Wesley Woodyard $2.00 *est.
44 LB RES Brian Iwuh $0.70
45 LB RES Nate Irving $0.64
46 LB RES Mike Mohamed $0.47
47 1SS Mike Adams $2.00
48 2SS David Bruton $0.74
49 1FS Quenton Carter $0.58
50 2FS Rahim Moore $0.90
Defense Total $68.04

Special Teams
51 LS Lonnie Paxton $1.08
52 K Matt Prater $2.60
53 P B. Colquitt $0.54
Special Teams Total $4.22

NFL Salary Cap 2012 $120.60
Broncos Allocated Salaries 2012 $114.98
Remaining "True" Cap Space 2012 $5.62
Rollover 2011 $26.00
Total Available Cap Space 2012 $31.62

I challenge anyone to correct ANY of this data if it's wrong. The calculations show the Broncos still have $31.62M remaining in cap space for 2012...remember to subtract $5M from that for draft picks...so really about $26.62M remaining.

You also don't want to get to the point where you're going to have to cut a bunch of guys next year, to get under the cap...so the Broncos have to be careful. I figure, if they spend an additional $13M to $16M in free agency (signing Saturday, Dreessen, Hanie, Thomas, and maybe Sammie Lee Hill), they will be sitting REAL pretty this year, and next.

Shananahan
03-23-2012, 01:02 AM
He actually used to be quite fast. Around 4.35 out of the draft.
Goodman........ now....... speed.......?

pricejj
03-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Goodman........ now....... speed.......?

Probably faster than Harris' 4.48. You are too hard on the guy. Harris wasn't asked to cover the other teams #1 or #2 receiver, and played well in the role he was given, but I don't think he would hold up well against a top WR, starting opposite of Champ.

Shananahan
03-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Harris wasn't asked to cover the other teams #1 or #2 receiver, and played well in the role he was given, but I don't think he would hold up well against a top WR, starting opposite of Champ.
Well, good thing nobody is counting on him to do something like that (hence Porter).

Honestly I don't hate Goodman, and if he'd reduce his salary by about 60-70% I'd be fine with him as depth due to our lack of it in the secondary. As it is now, I don't care how fast he used to be or how hard the task he was assigned might have been. He's not worth what he's slated to make and needs to be released or drastically restructured.

Archer81
03-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Probably faster than Harris' 4.48. You are too hard on the guy. Harris wasn't asked to cover the other teams #1 or #2 receiver, and played well in the role he was given, but I don't think he would hold up well against a top WR, starting opposite of Champ.

Never know until they put him in that position. He might do quite well. It would be nice to know, and adds flexibility in the secondary.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
03-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Broncos have quite a few draft picks now. They will be able to add some bodies to look for things like wr and cb that can play special teams. Its sort of good news to get those picks from the jets. Broncos have ammo to move up, or maybe trade one of the picks for picks next yr etc etc. Just nice to have a couple extra picks like that.

cutthemdown
03-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Never know until they put him in that position. He might do quite well. It would be nice to know, and adds flexibility in the secondary.

:Broncos:

Harris is young and he's pretty much exactly what you want from a 3rd or 4th corner. A kid with upside that can still play. I do think we should keep looking but obviously now with Porter DT would seem to be a forgone conclusion 1st or 2nd round.

baja
03-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Broncos have quite a few draft picks now. They will be able to add some bodies to look for things like wr and cb that can play special teams. Its sort of good news to get those picks from the jets. Broncos have ammo to move up, or maybe trade one of the picks for picks next yr etc etc. Just nice to have a couple extra picks like that.

Hopefully we get a 3rd for DJ Williams.

cutthemdown
03-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Hopefully we get a 3rd for DJ Williams.

With a suspension coming i doubt it. Plus not sure Broncos want him to go. They seem to love DJ and much as DJ loves to party.

Durango
03-23-2012, 01:44 AM

Won't the Broncos also pick up a couple of compensatory picks after losing Bunkley and Royal?

I have no idea how that works, but at the very least, we might replace that 7th rounder sent to NY in the Tebow trade.

UberBroncoMan
03-23-2012, 01:52 AM
I have no idea where PFT gets that number, but these are the cap hits for 2012 (based on Rotoworld/Spotrac data):

Index Pos. Player 2012 Cap Hit
Offense
1 1WR D. Thomas $1.18
2 2WR Eric Decker $1.25
3 3WR Andre Caldwell $2.00 *est.
4 4WR Matt Willis $1.26
5 5WR J. Hill $0.70
6 6WR Mark Dell $0.39
7 LT Ryan Clady $4.01
8 LG Zane Beadles $1.10
9 C Jeff Saturday
10 RG Chris Kuper $3.50
11 RT O. Franklin $1.00
12 OL RES J.D Walton $0.69
13 OL RES Manny Ramirez $0.70
14 OL RES Ryan Harris $0.70
15 OL RES Tony Hills $0.70
16 1TE Joel Dreessen
17 2TE Virgil Green $0.47
18 3TE Julius Thomas $0.56
19 1QB Peyton Manning $18.00
20 2QB Caleb Hanie
21 3QB Adam Weber $0.47
22 1RB Willis McGahee $1.50
23 2RB Knowshon Moreno $1.69
24 3RB J. Johnson $0.47
25 1FB A. Sylvester $0.39
Offense Total $42.72

Defense
26 1LCB Champ Bailey $9.50
27 2LCB Chris Harris $0.47
28 3LCB Tracy Porter $4.00
29 1LDE Robert Ayers $0.97
30 2LDE Jeremy Beal $0.50
31 1NT Ty Warren $5.25
32 2NT Marcus Thomas
33 1UT Kevin Vickerson $2.88
34 2UT Ryan McBean $1.26
35 3UT Ben Garland $0.49
36 1RDE Elvis Dumervil $14.50
37 2RDE Jeremy Beal $0.39
38 1RCB Andre Goodman $5.58
39 2RCB Cassius Vaughn $0.49
40 SOLB Von Miller $4.75
41 MLB J. Mays $4.00
42 WOLB D.J. Williams $5.00
43 LB RES Wesley Woodyard $2.00 *est.
44 LB RES Brian Iwuh $0.70
45 LB RES Nate Irving $0.64
46 LB RES Mike Mohamed $0.47
47 1SS Mike Adams $2.00
48 2SS David Bruton $0.74
49 1FS Quenton Carter $0.58
50 2FS Rahim Moore $0.90
Defense Total $68.04

Special Teams
51 LS Lonnie Paxton $1.08
52 K Matt Prater $2.60
53 P B. Colquitt $0.54
Special Teams Total $4.22

NFL Salary Cap 2012 $120.60
Broncos Allocated Salaries 2012 $114.98
Remaining "True" Cap Space 2012 $5.62
Rollover 2011 $26.00
Total Available Cap Space 2012 $31.62

I challenge anyone to correct ANY of this data if it's wrong. The calculations show the Broncos still have $31.62M remaining in cap space for 2012...remember to subtract $5M from that for draft picks...so really about $26.62M remaining.

You also don't want to get to the point where you're going to have to cut a bunch of guys next year, to get under the cap...so the Broncos have to be careful. I figure, if they spend an additional $13M to $16M in free agency (signing Saturday, Dreessen, Hanie, Thomas, and maybe Sammie Lee Hill), they will be sitting REAL pretty this year, and next.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/16/updated-salary-cap-information-for-all-32-teams/

Denver: $40,090,437

That's before we signed Manning, which was $18 million.

That would take it down to $22 million

Hence my confusion.

cutthemdown
03-23-2012, 02:37 AM
Won't the Broncos also pick up a couple of compensatory picks after losing Bunkley and Royal?

I have no idea how that works, but at the very least, we might replace that 7th rounder sent to NY in the Tebow trade.

We could i guess but I'm not sure even the NFL knows how that formula works lol.

The Joker
03-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Nice signing.

I'd still love to see us add another corner early in the draft. Someone who has the skills to be a #1 one day when Champ is gone/moves to safety.

Champ, Porter, Harris, Vaughn, Thompson as our CB's still wouldn't be acceptable going into the season, for me. It's an injury or two away from being a complete mess. If Manning puts up points on offense like we expect him to teams are going to be passing it a lot against us, we need our secondary to have their **** together.

Add a quality rookie early and let Thompson and Vaughn fight it out for a spot in camp and we'll be looking good at CB.

Ideally I'd like to see us draft

1st - DT
2nd - CB
3rd - RB
4th - WR
4th - DT

But obviously so much depends on who's on the board when we pick, I don't like drafting for need exclusively.

Drek
03-23-2012, 05:07 AM
The Jets drafted Kyle Wilson, he's quite reasonably priced for them at the moment, FYI.

Cap space is not an issue. The money would simply be rolled over to next year, if they didn't spend it this year. The Broncos are about $33M under the cap after this signing. there are better places to put $4.6M dollars than paying it out to Goodman. Like in a dumpster fire.

Not my suggestion at all. We need to bring in another young guy the team can develop into a quality player.

By this standard then we should love Vaughn. He ran a 4.42. Pretty solid. Either way though, if you actually read my post I think the two of them should be fighting for the #5 job, not starting.

...BTW Chris Harris is a good nickel, but he doesn't have Goody's speed.
1. Chris Harris ran a 4.41 at his pro day, not a 4.48. Goodman ran a 4.36 over a decade ago. Not a massive difference out of the gate.

2. If you can't see that Goodman has lost a step each of the last few years then I honestly don't know what to tell you. Dude has a hard time keeping up now. He is not aging like Champ, he's aging like most old corners, i.e. badly. He can't run with fast WRs anymore. He isn't nearly physical enough to work on bigger WRs or TEs and play nickel. So what value does he legitimately bring?

Our depth chart should read Champ, Porter, Harris, Rookie drafted between rounds 1-4, Vaugh/Thompson, and then UDFAs trying to steal Vaughn's/Thompson's job.

If your concern is about having a thoroughly stocked CB group then you should be arguing about drafting a CB in the first or second round, not paying Andre Goodman to get burnt like toast again.

ppablo
03-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Why a one year deal?

g6matty
03-23-2012, 08:03 AM

harris shut down welker pretty good, man. i like his potential as our nickel CB

barryr
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Oh brother, still an Andre Goodman fan club left. At least the Broncos know a 34 year old CB, who was average in is prime, is not the answer at least.

kent156
03-23-2012, 08:12 AM
i hear from saints fans he is not the best tackler

Punisher
03-23-2012, 08:28 AM
i hear from saints fans he is not the best tackler

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/tracy-porter-broncos-226508/

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Oh brother, still an Andre Goodman fan club left. At least the Broncos know a 34 year old CB, who was average in is prime, is not the answer at least.

This is one of the most common misnomers thrown around this website.

Goodman was never average.

bendog
03-23-2012, 08:42 AM
It's less his play than cap. The Saints have about four other guys who are roughly comparable. They ran corners on and off the field. And Porter does have a history of nicks. Dre Bly he is not, but he's not a real physical guy. But they are so up against the cap trying to sign Brees and not having a GM that its not good.

TonyR
04-18-2012, 01:42 PM
Long, detailed write-up on Tracy Porter posted today.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/scouting-the-broncos-tracy-porter-on-film

His strengths were obvious - he played well in zone and man (usually off-man); hes faster than the onset of a mountain microburst and hes not afraid of contact. When he wants to, he can wrap up well on tackling. Hes got very fast, fluid hips, and changes direction at speed, which is hard to find.

Pick Six
04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Lenny Walls
Kelly Herndon
Darrent Williams (RIP)
Dre' Bly
Andre Goodman

Aside from that, we can really use another person on the defensive line who can disrupt the pass. It's really hard for CBs to succeed, when the opposing QB is allowed to throw a perfect spiral to the receiver... Knowitall

Beantown Bronco
04-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Hes got very fast, fluid hips, and changes direction at speed, which is hard to find.[/I]

Well if there was one chick who would know if you were pulling your hips out early it'd be Annie.