PDA

View Full Version : Elway said, Tebow said. Who is lying about the J E T S?

Blart
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/elway-tebow-differ-on-whether-quarterback-chose-jets/#respond
On Wednesday, multiple reports indicated that the Broncos were allowing quarterback Tim Tebow to choose between the Jets and the Jaguars. After the trade went down, Tebow claimed otherwise.

In a late-night media conference call, Tebow said that he “didn’t have any [say]” in his destination, and that the Broncos had “all that power.”

Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway begs to differ.

“There was more [offered] from Jacksonville, but I think that we looked at it and it was close enough, and we were in contact with Tim throughout the day, and talked to him,” Elway told ESPN Radio in Denver on Thursday, via Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post. “He knew what was going on the whole time. The reports that he was not involved are not accurate.”

It’s more than “reports” that Tebow wasn’t involved. Tebow said so himself.

And here’s one of the benefits of having an image of devout faith and overt acts of charity and stubborn chastity. Folks who enjoy such an image can get away with a periodic whopper, and no one will think that they are stretching the truth.

Even if they possibly are.

Regardless of the truth, Tebow has no reason to say he chose the Jets over the Jaguars. If things don’t work out in New York, where the owner, the coaching staff, and the front office want him, Tebow eventually could go to Jacksonville, where the current owner always will.

Why spoil an eventual homecoming by alienating the hometown crowd now?I believe Tebow has more to gain by lying.

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Who has a proven history of lying? Hint: it's not Tebow.

Archer81
03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Meh. TT is gone. No point getting upset about this, IMO.

:Broncos:

Rabb
03-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Meh. TT is gone. No point getting upset about this, IMO.

:Broncos:

yep

Gort
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/elway-tebow-differ-on-whether-quarterback-chose-jets/#respond
I believe Tebow has more to gain by lying.

if you read closely, there's a bit of lawyer speak involved. it's absolutely true that the Broncos had all the power. Tebow can't trade himself. it can also be true that Tebow was involved without picking the team.

in the end, i think you'll find that every side involved will be able to parse the language and claim that they were 100% truthful.

it doesn't really matter though. if JAX really wanted him, they had every chance to make a better deal and can still make a deal with NYJ. i don't see any way that the JAX organization can claim that he spurned them, if that's what they're claiming.

jhns
This article only exists because the reporter is a moron. Notice how he couldn't write this story with all of Tebows quote? The full one I saw didn't say anything about Tebow not being involved. The quote this writter took a few words from, was something like: "ultimately, they had final say in where I went", or something close. He didn't say he wasn't involved. He said the final decision theirs.

Blart
03-22-2012, 02:28 PM
If it's lawyer speak, he did a good job placating his hometown. And if he did make the choice, it was the right one. Wildcat will suit TT well

SonOfLe-loLang
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't think Timmy is too much of an attention whore, but i get the idea that his brother is...and his brother pulls a lot of strings with Tim. His brand can expand ten fold in NYC. I don't see why Elway would lie about this.

uplink
03-22-2012, 02:29 PM
I believe alot of quotes are coming from Tebow's brother, not Tebow himself. The one about liking Rex on hard knocks was from his brothers mouth I saw the interview on TV.

CEH
03-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Robby Tebow is a leach. Sounds like Tebow didn't think the coaches in JAX were 100% behind him. He just came from that situation. Why go back even if its he hometown

baja
03-22-2012, 02:39 PM
if you read closely, there's a bit of lawyer speak involved. it's absolutely true that the Broncos had all the power. Tebow can't trade himself. it can also be true that Tebow was involved without picking the team.

in the end, i think you'll find that every side involved will be able to parse the language and claim that they were 100% truthful.

it doesn't really matter though. if JAX really wanted him, they had every chance to make a better deal and can still make a deal with NYJ. i don't see any way that the JAX organization can claim that he spurned them, if that's what they're claiming.

This is what I think too

Tebow has proved himself quite the word smith (He'll need it in NYC) He is careful to not burn bridges, past and future. Besides I think he would have chosen NYJ's anyway.

bpc
03-22-2012, 02:41 PM

I think somebody has an axe to grind on Tebow. Tebow didn't hold any cards. Never has. The kids works his ass off and led us to a division championship and Playoff win. Doesn't seem like the lying type. We should just nip that in the butt.

bronco militia
03-22-2012, 02:44 PM
translation: Tebow left it up to his agent

yawn...

BigPlayShay
03-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Tebow lied about what he said to Woody Paige in Training Camp regarding having the starting job taken away from him.

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Wish we traded him to the Jags. Would have been better.

That said, there's going to be 100x more drama from him going to the Jets and to a division where there's a team that already excels at stopping him (New England) thanks in large part to the Wildcat being prevalent in that division on account of Miami all those years.

AFC South and Jaguars would have been the best thing to happen to Tebow the player. Oh well.

{popcorn}

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Tebow lied about what he said to Woody Paige in Training Camp regarding having the starting job taken away from him.

He did? How do you know this?

Garcia Bronco
03-22-2012, 02:53 PM
He's not entitled to decide...so there you go. Welcome to contract life.

baja
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Actually, if you think about it, Elway threw Tim under the bus by saying publicly It was Tim's decision which team he went to. ;D

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Damn! I guess Tim just threw Elway under the bus with his lies, eh? That's a shame.

R8R H8R
03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
I really don't know why people are making a big deal out of this. Even if you buy into the fact that he lied, and I don't, it was more in the "white lie" category, because he didn't want to say that he would rather go to a team and coaching staff that values him more, because he knew that the Jags were doing it strictly for the owner. He also doesn't want Florida fans to think he is dissing them.

Here's an analogy for you:

When your wife or girlfriend asks you if the dress she just put on makes her butt look big, you had better know the answer to that and tell the white lie.
Same thing here.

CEH
03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Schefter reported that Tim had a say in where he wanted to do, and Schefter reported that Tim didn't feel the Jaguars wanted him as much as NY did. So according to Schefter, Tim DID choose the NYJ over Jacksonville.

Broncos_OTM
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Wish we traded him to the Jags. Would have been better.

That said, there's going to be 100x more drama from him going to the Jets and to a division where there's a team that already excels at stopping him (New England) thanks in large part to the Wildcat being prevalent in that division on account of Miami all those years.

AFC South and Jaguars would have been the best thing to happen to Tebow the player. Oh well.

{popcorn}that whole division faced that offense as well

Pendejo
03-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Schefter reported that Tim had a say in where he wanted to do, and Schefter reported that Tim didn't feel the Jaguars wanted him as much as NY did. So according to Schefter, Tim DID choose the NYJ over Jacksonville.

I heard the audio of the interview on ESPN. Tebow said the Donks were constantly in touch with his agent throughout the process, but was careful to insist that he didn't have "final" say. The interview corroborates what Elway said. Tebow is being a politician...which others in this thread figured.

There was no lie from either side. Just an over-saturation of media coverage. And some fun with words.

baja
03-22-2012, 03:19 PM
What did you expect Tebow to say anyway, "Ya I picked the most challenging locker room and media in the NFL because I hate those NASCAR loving rednecks in the South."

sazwaz
03-22-2012, 03:23 PM
There's a difference between picking between Jax and Jets BEFORE the trade was announced, and 8 hours later after things got messed up. I think Denver picked Jets without asking Tim, then when it stalled and Jax got into the mix and upped their offer Broncos go - "So Tim, totally your choice". Tim would look bad either way, and Denver gets to look like they were accommodating. Everything I've read, his "choice" was during the latter scenario.

Sounds like Tim has accepted it and moved on. Now let's get some damn DTs.

yerner
03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Tebow is such a freaking phony. Why does this closet case deserve better treatment than any other player? Hypocrisy. It's why all his teammates don't give a **** about losing his football skills. Dude can't play and they all know it, but are expected to give the media nice soundbites or else be subjected to unrelenting coverage and criticism.

BroncoBeavis
03-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I also don't buy this business about the Jags deal being better than what the Jets offered.

From what I understand the Jags deal was essentially one 4th rounder NEXT draft (2013) with a possible conditional move up to the 3rd round... although I haven't heard any deets on those conditions.

The Jets deal offered both a 4th THIS YEAR and a jump up for the Broncos from 7th to 6th round.

For a team that has just adopted a win now at all cost mindset, which deal makes more sense is a no-brainer. The Jags offered essentially nothing that would have any impact this year. You could argue it was maybe better long-term value. But we all know that's not what the Broncos are about now.

Steve Sewell
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
I also don't buy this business about the Jags deal being better than what the Jets offered.

From what I understand the Jags deal was essentially one 4th rounder NEXT draft (2013) with a possible conditional move up to the 3rd round... although I haven't heard any deets on those conditions.

The Jets deal offered both a 4th THIS YEAR and a jump up for the Broncos from 7th to 6th round.

For a team that has just adopted a win now at all cost mindset, which deal makes more sense is a no-brainer. The Jags offered essentially nothing that would have any impact this year. You could argue it was maybe better long-term value. But we all know that's not what the Broncos are about now.

It couldn't have been that the Jags made a cursory offer with little interest of actually trading for Tebow, could it?

Also, you're a bad troll.

BroncoBeavis
03-22-2012, 03:43 PM
It couldn't have been that the Jags made a cursory offer with little interest of actually trading for Tebow, could it?

Also, you're a bad troll.

What does that have to do with anything?.

Some people, even Schef are trying to paint it like Timmy must've picked the Jets because the Broncos took it in the shorts on this deal.

The Jets deal was actually the better deal for the Broncos.

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 04:12 PM
It just occurred to me; It's kind of a shame that McGruder got banned just before all this stuff went down. We probably lost out on the epic meltdown of OM history. :pity:

DenverBrit
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
What does that have to do with anything?.

Some people, even Schef are trying to paint it like Timmy must've picked the Jets because the Broncos took it in the shorts on this deal.

The Jets deal was actually the better deal for the Broncos.

Got a source for both deals?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM
It just occurred to me; It's kind of a shame that McGruder got banned just before all this stuff went down. We probably lost out on the epic meltdown of OM history. :pity:

whatd he get banned for

baja
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM

My guess is he has over a 1000 posts on a Jets board my now.

R8R H8R
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM

And that is the key to the whole thing. I really don't know why any one would question his decision. All the Jags had to do was kick in an extra 6th and he is there, but apparently, they didn't want him that bad.

jbiel
03-22-2012, 04:25 PM
The deals were similar according to Alfred Williams. Jax offered to pay 3 mil though.

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
whatd he get banned for

I don't know. I think he was going nutso.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
With they way the entire story played out over these last few years, I'm not surprised the exit of tebow ended in drama.

DENVERDUI55
03-22-2012, 05:26 PM
How about who really cares.

Broncos dude
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM

Tebow is poser and phony . I trust elway

TonyR
03-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Tebow and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, absolutely had a choice on where the Broncos would trade Tebow, despite Tebow’s statement that only Denver controlled that. The Jags had a better fourth-round pick on the table than the Jets were offering—by seven draft slots. The Jags were offering $500,000 more than the Jets in compensation for the advances paid on his contract. But Denver was willing to deal Tebow to either team. And it was a very difficult choice for the young quarterback, because he is from Jacksonville. But the decision made sense. The Jets wanted him more, and would use him more, ostensibly. It’s simple.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/26/meetings/index.html

MacGruder
03-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Tebow may be keeping this info to himself for some reason but I don't see how anyone could trust Elway.. he hasn't been on the level ever since he took over as Broncos management...

baja
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM
thanks for posting that Tony.

bendog
03-26-2012, 08:15 AM
How about who really cares.

this. He's a nice kid who was in a bad spot. We should just wish him the best. He was the only excuse to even watch the team EFX inherited.

55CrushEm
03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I heard the audio of the interview on ESPN. Tebow said the Donks were constantly in touch with his agent throughout the process, but was careful to insist that he didn't have "final" say. The interview corroborates what Elway said. Tebow is being a politician...which others in this thread figured.

There was no lie from either side. Just an over-saturation of media coverage. And some fun with words.

This.

Meck77
03-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Add liar to the list of dumb and gay. Ha!

I can see why Tailgatenut had so much fun tebow bashing this season.

go_broncos
03-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Do you believe in our FO?...Only dumb person like manning believe in them.

CEH
03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
So Schefter and King and Elway are now liars and Tim is the good guy in all this.

Time for Tim to fess up that he was just covering his ass

Broncos4tw
03-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Then why are you complaining? Are you a Bronco fan or not?

Personally, I can't have much sympathy for pro athletes. Dude will make MILLIONS for sitting on a bench. Do you really feel sorry for Tebow? LOL

I want all things that will improve the Broncos as a team. Goes to show where some fans hearts are, when they side with a player who is no longer even on the team, rather than for their Broncos.

go_broncos
03-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Then why are you complaining? Are you a Bronco fan or not?

Personally, I can't have much sympathy for pro athletes. Dude will make MILLIONS for sitting on a bench. Do you really feel sorry for Tebow? LOL

I want all things that will improve the Broncos as a team. Goes to show where some fans hearts are, when they side with a player who is no longer even on the team, rather than for their Broncos.

so...you believe whatever our coach/Front office blindly say?..
I believe you supported whatever Mcd did?..
Open your eyes and see the world.

EFX combination is one of the worst in the league.

bendog
03-26-2012, 08:54 AM

it's not from EFX. it's from reputable news sites. And Jax's 4th is better than the Jests. But who cares, except you're a tebowite with a hard on for EFX. GTFOI

go_broncos
03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
it's not from EFX. it's from reputable news sites. And Jax's 4th is better than the Jests. But who cares, except you're a tebowite with a hard on for EFX. GTFOI

Anything positive..you believe in them..Once they start negative about broncos, you start hating them..

Enjoy the season...It will be fun without any defense(AGAIN)

Kaylore
03-26-2012, 09:02 AM
translation: Tebow left it up to his agent

yawn...

Exactly.

bendog
03-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Anything positive..you believe in them..Once they start negative about broncos, you start hating them..

Enjoy the season...It will be fun without any defense(AGAIN)

Follow the Jests. You'll be happier for it. And I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and Tim in Jax.

Kaylore
03-26-2012, 09:12 AM
go_broncos does not believe in happiness.

go_broncos
03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Follow the Jests. You'll be happier for it. And I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and Tim in Jax.

Who cares about Jets?...If given a chance, i will trust Tebow over Elway.
We need to still upgrade Defense. Otherwise, it will be tough for Manning to win SB.
I am done.

Kaylore
03-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Who cares about Jets?...If given a chance, i will trust Tebow over Elway.
We need to still upgrade Defense. Otherwise, it will be tough for Manning to win SB.
I am done.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BTqgp6jKbqE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Broncos4tw
03-26-2012, 09:19 AM

I never supported McD past his first season Heck, not even into the first season. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I immediately hated his ideas of making the Broncos into his own personal Patriot team. He was terrible, and I was relieved when he was fired.

I don't care what EFX says - as a Bronco fan, I want results. I want the Broncos to get into the playoffs - to win a SB. I couldn't care less what happens to coaches or players once we let them go. I hope Tebow does well, but I don't really care, one way or the other. I hope we fleece any team / agent to get the best deal, every time.

EFX is leaps and bounds better than the McD experiment. They know what it takes to win football games, and are getting it done. Tebow's lack of normal NFL QB skills forced Fox to swallow his pride, and create a college-like offense he could actually play in. Elway did the right thing in getting Fox, and in getting Manning.

The team is moving in the right direction now. So sorry your boyfriend was cut, it happens.

Garcia Bronco
03-26-2012, 09:19 AM
LOL...Teebs decided on NY and then lied about not deciding on the Jags. LOL

R8R H8R
03-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Watching the Tebow PC right now, and he came clean on the so-called EFX/Tebow trade controversy. He pretty much admitted that the whole thing went down the way Elway described it.

I know that his detractors are going to want to point out that he admits to being a liar. No, he just found a better way to say he wanted to go to a team that wanted him without making it look like he was dissing the Jacksonville.

bendog
03-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Watching the Tebow PC right now, and he came clean on the so-called EFX/Tebow trade controversy. He pretty much admitted that the whole thing went down the way Elway described it.

I know that his detractors are going to want to point out that he admits to being a liar. No, he just found a better way to say he wanted to go to a team that wanted him without making it look like he was dissing the Jacksonville.

Just a thought, but in 2011, Fox moved the team's total defense from last in the league to 20. If Den can be in the upper third with that schedule, next year could be worth buying NFL ticket.

Broncofan_H
03-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Tebow may be keeping this info to himself for some reason but I don't see how anyone could trust Elway.. he hasn't been on the level ever since he took over as Broncos management...

What exactly has Elway lied about?

The only "lie" I can think of is saying "Tim will be the starting QB going into training camp".

Guess what, something somewhat unexpected happened and one of the best QBs of all time turned into a free agent. Things change.

What else has Elway "not been on the level" about, as you say?

R8R H8R
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Just a thought, but in 2011, Fox moved the team's total defense from last in the league to 20. If Den can be in the upper third with that schedule, next year could be worth buying NFL ticket.

Yep.

CEH
03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
It's really about point differential and if you think Denver will score about 25+ a game not un realistic if Manning is healthly Denver can really get to 20 ppg which is middle of the pack. You get the defense up near top 10 with the same kind of offense 13-14 wins

DENVERDUI55
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM

That is with an Offense that led the league in 3 and outs too.

Pick Six
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Well, SOMEBODY screwed us out of a higher draft pick. I don't care who it was, but I'm not happy about Tebow going to the Jets...

DenverBrit
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
What exactly has Elway lied about?

The only "lie" I can think of is saying "Tim will be the starting QB going into training camp".

Guess what, something somewhat unexpected happened and one of the best QBs of all time turned into a free agent. Things change.

What else has Elway "not been on the level" about, as you say?

EFX are on track to get this team back to a SB, despite being liars, incompetent and working for an owner who is a broke and drunk. Ha!

The 'hate' roots go back to firing Shanny. ???

Miss I.
03-26-2012, 10:42 AM
panties in twist? why? non issue. Teebs did not lie. EFX did not lie. It was politics as NFL usual.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/1201/nothing-to-see-here-cars-demotivational-posters-1326549651.jpeg

gyldenlove
03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
LOL...Teebs decided on NY and then lied about not deciding on the Jags. LOL

He is claiming the Clinton defense - it depends what your definition of is is.

If the question came like this: Are you happy to go to the Jets, or we have an offer from Jacksonville?
Tebow said: I am happy to go to the Jets.

He never directly said he prefered the Jets over the Jags - just in case he ends up in a situation where he has to move again and the only team who wants him play in North Eastern Florida - but the implication is very clear.

bfoflcommish
03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/jags-owners-says-tebow-didnt-want-to-come-to-jacksonville/

Jags owners says Tebow didn’t want to come to Jacksonville

bronco militia
03-26-2012, 12:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/jags-owners-says-tebow-didnt-want-to-come-to-jacksonville/

yeah right.....Khan is just covering for Elway

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Sounds like Khan doesnt like Tebows preference.

Meck77
03-26-2012, 01:24 PM

How much more proof do we need that tebow isn't the saint he wants everyone to believe. This dishonestly just begs the question. What else is he not telling the truth about. Virgin by choice? or Pecker puffer?

bendog
03-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Jilted in Jacksonville

bendog
03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
How much more proof do we need that tebow isn't the saint he wants everyone to believe and that maybe he is pecker puffer.

Ah, the coaches didn't want him in Jax, and they'd already signed a guy whose skillset is pretty Ortonesque. It's even a smaller market than Den, and it's populated with annoying Tebowites.

New York is a bigger stage, the coach actually wants him, and it's a fair bet he'll be no1 by season's end .... though more so because Sanchez doesn't seem to have the greatest confidence to begin with.

But he doesn't want to tell all those Tebowites in Fla that he preferred the Jests. So, he fibbed.

Now if I'm gonna sin ....

bronco militia
03-26-2012, 01:41 PM
How much more proof do we need that tebow isn't the saint he wants everyone to believe. This dishonestly just begs the question. What else is he not telling the truth about. Virgin by choice? or Pecker puffer?

LOL

http://www.missvirginiadeepseafishing.com/bobber.gif

BroncoMan4ever
03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Tebow admitted in his interview with the Jets he preferred them. just goes to show Elway was truthful and Tebow was a lying bastard in the end.

bendog
03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, I don't buy it. I don't care, but seriously look at this kid's story. Rumors are he has no problem if girls want to him him a happy. "No, Sissy, I'm sorry but I must remain a virgin."

"But, Tim, I can see you're huge, and it's got to be difficult."

"Yes, Sissy, I feel like I've been hit down there."

"Tim, I can make it better, and you'll still be a virgin."

Bronco Yoda
03-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Tebow is a great kid. Wish him will. I'm a fan.

Elway is showing he's a great FO guy able to make the really tough calls. Even bigger fan of Mr. Bronco.

What have we learned. In five years Elway could be one of the best FO guys in the NFL and Tebow could be a top notch lawyer.

btw, reading 'Will to Win' (TEBOW)... Elway was the one who pulled the trigger to play him over Orton.

gunns
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
And they would have given a third. Damn.

BroncoBeavis
03-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Well, I don't buy it. I don't care, but seriously look at this kid's story. Rumors are he has no problem if girls want to him him a happy. "No, Sissy, I'm sorry but I must remain a virgin."

"But, Tim, I can see you're huge, and it's got to be difficult."

"Yes, Sissy, I feel like I've been hit down there."

"Tim, I can make it better, and you'll still be a virgin."

Wow, you've really thought this through.

The Moops
03-26-2012, 07:30 PM
I believe Tebow. Elway has proved he's a liar ... sorry, that's how I feel.