PDA

View Full Version : Senate to Hold Hearing on Bounties

Bronco_Beerslug
03-22-2012, 12:14 PM
How unnecessary is this? The NFL is handling it fine, I don't think we need Washington politicos getting involved...

--------------------------------------------------------------
Senate to hold hearing on bounties (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7722853/new-orleans-saints-senator-dick-durbin-sets-hearing-bounties-nfl)

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Dick Durbin is setting up a Judiciary Committee hearing about bounties in the NFL and other major sports in the wake of news that New Orleans Saints players received extra cash for hits that hurt particular opponents.

The assistant Senate majority leader, an Illinois Democrat, says he wants to examine whether federal law should make such bounty systems a crime.

Durbin's announcement Thursday comes a day after the NFL took a harsh stand on bounties, suspending Saints head coach Sean Payton for all of next season, and indefinitely banning their former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.

Payton is the first head coach suspended by the league for any reason.

Sending a message by taking a harsh stand, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell also banned Saints general manager Mickey Loomis for the first eight regular-season games next season -- believed to be the first time a GM was suspended by the NFL -- and assistant coach Joe Vitt for the first six games.

In addition, Goodell fined the Saints $500,000 and took away their second-round draft pick this year and in 2013.

Durbin calls the Saints' bounties a "disturbing practice." He plans to ask representatives of the NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA, NHL and NCAA to testify at the hearing.

Punishment for any Saints players involved will be determined later, because the league is still reviewing the case with the NFL Players Association.

"While I will not address player conduct at this time, I am profoundly troubled by the fact that players -- including leaders among the defensive players -- embraced this program so enthusiastically and participated with what appears to have been a deliberate lack of concern for the well-being of their fellow players," Goodell said.

CONT.

Dedhed
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
This is exactly what our govt should be spending their time debating. Well done Senator.

Archer81
03-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes. Because a law stopping bounties definately will impact the 99.9% of the population that does not play professional sports.

Way to go, Senate. Pass a ****ing budget first.

:Broncos:

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Another politician going, "Ooh, ooh! Get me on camera!"

lolcopter
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Dumbasses need to stop ****ing up this country and start worrying about **** that actually matters

bendog
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Please God, don't let Obama view this as a "teaching moment."

Rohirrim
03-22-2012, 12:22 PM

ROFL!

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Durbin

His name should be Dick Derpin

Yay government expansion and intrusion!

Bronco_Beerslug
03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Ha!

BroncoBen
03-22-2012, 12:35 PM
This is exactly what our govt should be spending their time debating. Well done Senator.

No Kidding.. I think Roger Goodell is doing a good job policing the NFL.

BroncoBeavis
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Another politician going, "Ooh, ooh! Get me on camera!"

That's Dick Durbin in a nutshell.

ghwk
03-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Idiot

Garcia Bronco
03-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Never let a "crisis" go to waste.

milehighJC
03-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Worthless pin headed low life parasitic four flushin scumbag clueless attention sucking meddling moron.

It appears our "leaders" do not have enough to do since this is near the top of the priority list. Whats next dickie? Maybe you could make it a federal offense to hurt someone's feelings?

As you can tell, I just LOVE politicians. :wiggle:

baja
03-22-2012, 03:26 PM

LOL

R8R H8R
03-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Durbin--what a blowhard. We need a committee to investigate why these pompous jerks are more concerned with football than they are unemployment and the $4.60 I just paid per gallon to fill my gas tank up.

ant1999e
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Politicians=idiots

houghtam
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Not that I disagree with a lot of what is being said about politicians in this thread, but as long as the US Govt is providing anti-trust protection for a sport they have every right to have an interest in how it's governed.

ColoradoDarin
03-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm always of 2 minds when they do stupid stuff like this. The first is that they are complete idiots, why aren't they doing real work. The second is that they are complete idiots and thank God they are doing this and not ****ing up the country worse.

Archer81
03-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Not that I disagree with a lot of what is being said about politicians in this thread, but as long as the US Govt is providing anti-trust protection for a sport they have every right to have an interest in how it's governed.

Gas prices around $4.00 a gallon, iffy economic recovery and it appears another year of $1 tril deficits plus situations in North Africa, the ME, Iran and Afghanistan leads me to think the NFL should not even be on the Senate's radar. More important things then a frivilous sport.

:Broncos:

Hotrod
03-22-2012, 09:06 PM
The only thing the federal government has constitutional right to do is protect our borders and do their interns.

What say you?

Honestly were ****ed.

OBF1
03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Worthless pin headed low life parasitic four flushin scumbag clueless attention sucking meddling moron.

It appears our "leaders" do not have enough to do since this is near the top of the priority list. Whats next dickie? Maybe you could make it a federal offense to hurt someone's feelings?

As you can tell, I just LOVE politicians. :wiggle:

I am not sure if you are talking about any US politician or our very own douchebag SPIDER

Jetmeck
03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Only in America. If any of my senators or reps become involved in this BS they will get an ear full............

milehighJC
03-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I am not sure if you are talking about any US politician or our very own douchebag SPIDER

I guess any quality rant could be multipurpose, but I tend to reserve my best for politicians. ;D

Vegas_Bronco
03-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Anything for a campaign dollar. I use to think people lived off the govt, now I know the govt lives to off the people.