PDA

View Full Version : The Defensive Tackle Thread

Baba Booey
03-21-2012, 09:01 PM
As excited as I am for the season, I am equally as worried about the situation in the middle of our defense.

@MikeKlis: Chekc that. DT Marcus Thomas is close to signing with another team. That means Broncos have HUGE holes at defensive tackle

@MikeKlis: Bunkley, Thomas, McBean? Oh my. If the Broncos don't take a DT with No. 25 pick there has to be an investigation.

Even if Warren is healthy (which is a huge 'if') we are in deep ****.

In my opinion, even if we resign Thomas and take a DT high, we still need another above-average talent at the position.

Discuss further.

That One Guy
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't ever want to imagine a DT coming late in the 1st being expected to start.

Either they'll pick up some guys in FA that are still out there or a trade will happen. I think they were banking on Bunkley coming back but they realize a rook and hopefully Warren won't get it done.

OBF1
03-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Is there any difference between where we are at this moment in time.... or any other time the past 5 years???

I think not. We have sucked at DT since I can remember.

That One Guy
03-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Is there any difference between where we are at this moment in time.... or any other time the past 5 years???

I don't remember exactly what stage of the season it was when Bunkley came in but in the past, we at least had enough warm bodies. I don't think they even have that this year.

Requiem
03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Broncos will indeed be drafting a defensive lineman. I'm just not sure who falls or where they end up. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and trade down to get one. There are plenty who will likely have similar grades.

Based on positioning I see Still, Worthy or Thompson being the likely targets. If Brockers fall, maybe -- but he's so young and raw to instantly start. Just get one of them I guess.

That One Guy
03-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Broncos will indeed be drafting a defensive lineman. I'm just not sure who falls or where they end up. I wouldn't be surprised if they try and trade down to get one. There are plenty who will likely have similar grades.

Based on positioning I see Still, Worthy or Thompson being the likely targets. If Brockers fall, maybe -- but he's so young and raw to instantly start. Just get one of them I guess.

I agree in that I think they might take one since they're not rushing to fill the roster but are you saying you're OK with one of them starting?

Ratboy
03-21-2012, 09:14 PM
There is no way EFX does NOT draft a DT.

snowspot66
03-21-2012, 09:15 PM

What if they aren't the BPA and it's not close?

Bmore Manning
03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
They need two draft two.. Who can they trade for?

Jesterhole
03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway McDaniels McDaniels Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Griese Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Griese McDaniels Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Tebow Manning Elway Sir Mawn Wilson

Requiem
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I agree in that I think they might take one since they're not rushing to fill the roster but are you saying you're OK with one of them starting?

Of course I'm OK with one of them starting. It has to happen. That's why even though I like Brockers, I want someone with more experience. I like Worthy.

bronco militia
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM

I think i've seen this post before.....LOLROFL!LOL

TD30
03-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Signing manning sure has helped us sign free agents lol our own players are picking the saints after the suspensions lol

Agamemnon
03-21-2012, 09:37 PM
What's a defensive tackle? Pretty sure we don't have those in Denver.

Agamemnon
03-21-2012, 09:42 PM

I'm sure they'll draft one somewhere, but you're kidding yourself if you think they draft one early while in "win now" mode.

Lestat
03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
at this point you almost have to trade up to make sure you get Brockers,Cox,Still or Poe.
i'd love Melvin Ingram but he's more of a DE type and while that would sexy to team up Doom,Ingram & Von, it won't help the run game.

strafen
03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
As excited as I am for the season, I am equally as worried about the situation in the middle of our defense.

@MikeKlis: Chekc that. DT Marcus Thomas is close to signing with another team. That means Broncos have HUGE holes at defensive tackle

@MikeKlis: Bunkley, Thomas, McBean? Oh my. If the Broncos don't take a DT with No. 25 pick there has to be an investigation.

Even if Warren is healthy (which is a huge 'if') we are in deep ****.

In my opinion, even if we resign Thomas and take a DT high, we still need another above-average talent at the position.

Discuss further.

For some reason, I'm ok with losing those guys.
I feel it's at this point a blessing in disguise.
Now that we have those holes to fill, let's bring in some football players to take their spots.
We need palymakers, we need impact players, and those aforementioned guys, weren't ones...

Lestat
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
well the list of quality FA DT's is dwindling and so the draft is about the only option.
I'm sure they'll draft one somewhere, but you're kidding yourself if you think they draft one early while in "win now" mode.

Bronco Yoda
03-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Broncos don't play the DT position. It was removed from all Defensive terminology years ago.

strafen
03-21-2012, 09:49 PM
at this point you almost have to trade up to make sure you get Brockers,Cox,Still or Poe.
i'd love Melvin Ingram but he's more of a DE type and while that would sexy to team up Doom,Ingram & Von, it won't help the run game.

Alabama has like half of their championship defense slated in the 1st round; Upshaw and Hightower the best known ones...

Our offense got good/better. Because of those consuming drives Peyton can engineer, our defense stand a good chance to rotate fresh. Of course we need players. A NT, DT would be good to start with...

Goobzilla
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
For some reason, I'm ok losing those guys.
I feel it's at this point a blessing in disguise.
Now that we have those holes to fill, let's bring in some football players to take their spots.
We need palymakers, we need impact players, and those aforementioned guys, weren't ones...

Who is better that's available? Pickins seem slim to me in FA, and I'm not a draft nerd. Someone talk me off the D-Line ledge please!

Agamemnon
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
well the list of quality FA DT's is dwindling and so the draft is about the only option.

It doesn't matter. They'll find what they can through free agency or a trade while drafting players early who can have a more immediate impact (running back, receiver, or linebacker most likely). Count on it.

That or they will trade their 1st and/or 2nd rounders for established players. Maybe even a DT, though I somehow doubt it.

Ratboy
03-21-2012, 10:03 PM

They'll take one some where in the draft.

bpc
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
We look terrible on paper at this position. I have noticed though, Fox and Co. seem more than equipped developing talent at the DL spots. They had great success with Peppers, Kris Jenkins, Rucker, Komeoteau, among others. We're in the worst spot to be pigeon holed into taking a specific position though. That's when you swing and miss on the draft board.

serious hops
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
What's a defensive tackle?

Agamemnon
03-21-2012, 11:08 PM
We look terrible on paper at this position. I have noticed though, Fox and Co. seem more than equipped developing talent at the DL spots. They had great success with Peppers, Kris Jenkins, Rucker, Komeoteau, among others. We're in the worst spot to be pigeon holed into taking a specific position though. That's when you swing and miss on the draft board.

First: You have to have talent on the roster to develop it. We presently have none at DT.

Second: We don't have the time to be developing talent when we are trying to "win now" with Manning.

I'm noticing a bit of disconnect with a lot of people between the Manning signing and what it actually means in terms of the team's approach to building the roster. So again, we are in all out "win now" mode. Do not expect us to draft players high in the draft who are going to be slow to have an impact (DT would be at the top of that list along with QB). Do not expect us to hold onto all our draft picks if we can trade them for established players. Our developmental players will almost certainly only come from lower rounds. It really is that simple.

Agamemnon
03-21-2012, 11:10 PM
What's a defensive tackle?

We had one, but we forgot they cost money, so we lost him.

bowtown
People keep forgetting that Vickerson is healthy again. He's the centerpiece of our defense.

Agamemnon
People keep forgetting that Vickerson is healthy again. He's the centerpiece of our defense.

Super Bowl.

Lestat
03-21-2012, 11:14 PM

if we're depending on Vickerson and Warren and no depth then we're gonna be boned like a episode of Oz.

serious hops
03-21-2012, 11:17 PM

He'll have to hold off Sealver Siliga first. Stand back!

Dexter
03-21-2012, 11:38 PM
He'll have to hold off Sealver Siliga first. Stand back!

How dare you forget about the one and only Mitch Unrein sir. How dare you.

uplink
03-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Signing manning sure has helped us sign free agents lol our own players are picking the saints after the suspensions lol

They are trying to get a cut of those bounties.

That One Guy
03-21-2012, 11:50 PM
First: You have to have talent on the roster to develop it. We presently have none at DT.

Second: We don't have the time to be developing talent when we are trying to "win now" with Manning.

I'm noticing a bit of disconnect with a lot of people between the Manning signing and what it actually means in terms of the team's approach to building the roster. So again, we are in all out "win now" mode. Do not expect us to draft players high in the draft who are going to be slow to have an impact (DT would be at the top of that list along with QB). Do not expect us to hold onto all our draft picks if we can trade them for established players. Our developmental players will almost certainly only come from lower rounds. It really is that simple.

I agree with the paragraph. I think we've all seen what the fantasy football-like squads produce through Snyder's teams over the years in Wash and what the Eagles fielded last year so they're trying to walk a fine line between win now and building up a team the right way. The problem is that with as many holes as this team currently has, the only solution to build continuity would've been to keep the players we had. It is quite perplexing and I'm hoping we would have the disappointment that those other teams have had when they decide to pursue win now strategies. They only seem to work when a new coach is bringing in his old guys in the way, say, Parcells and Sporano did when they went to Miami and picked the cowboys clean.

BowlenBall
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
"A defensive tackle killed my parents, OK?"
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Arizona+Cardinals+v+Denver+Broncos+7jyBb0v8717l.jp g

Atwater His Ass
03-22-2012, 01:03 AM

Heard the same thing last year.

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 01:50 AM
"A defensive tackle killed my parents, OK?"
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Arizona+Cardinals+v+Denver+Broncos+7jyBb0v8717l.jp g

:-)

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 02:02 AM
If Vickerson and Warren can both play all yr that helps a lot. Hard to count on that though.

cutthemdown
03-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Heard the same thing last year.

Eventually it will be true though........right???

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 02:09 AM
We really are ****ed though unless we hit some ****ing diamonds in the draft and UFA.

BroncoMan4ever
03-22-2012, 02:14 AM

this is a situation where it will become BPA at the position the need to fill. unless there is some insane situation where someone falls unexpectedly the pick has to be DT probably a few times.

eddie mac
03-22-2012, 03:35 AM
I expect that 4th rounder from the Jets to be bringing in a vet DT via trade any day now.

UberBroncoMan
03-22-2012, 03:43 AM
I expect that 4th rounder from the Jets to be bringing in a vet DT via trade any day now.

We could use our 4th to steel Hill from the Lions. That's what he was tendered for.

http://www.nfl.com/player/sammieleehill/79571/profile

BIG BOY

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 05:32 AM
this is a situation where it will become BPA at the position the need to fill. unless there is some insane situation where someone falls unexpectedly the pick has to be DT probably a few times.

You're kidding yourself.

Bmore Manning
03-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Its funny how Peyton has never had dependable DTs, this nightmare continues! In all seriousness, I was hoping Denver got Soliai.. I'm not sure about Hill..

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
Its funny how Peyton has never had dependable DTs, this nightmare continues! In all seriousness, I was hoping Denver got Soliai.. I'm not sure about Hill..

This is a Denver thing. Bowlen apparently hates the position with every fiber of his being.

g6matty
03-22-2012, 05:42 AM
this is a blessing in disguise. if our top 3 DTs all choose other teams we are forced to get new guys. i for one never cared for thomas and mcbean. bunkleys loss sucks but we can find a run stuffer. throw our new 4th at sammie hill from detroit that would be a good start. if the lord allows fletcher cox to fall to 25 that would be our wet-dream case scenario

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 05:44 AM
this is a blessing in disguise. if our top 3 DTs all choose other teams we are forced to get new guys. i for one never cared for thomas and mcbean. bunkleys loss sucks but we can find a run stuffer. throw our new 4th at sammie hill from detroit that would be a good start. if the lord allows fletcher cox to fall to 25 that would be our wet-dream case scenario

You could put a positive spin on someone raping your sister couldn't you? Hilarious!

Seriously dude, this is just ****. There's no blessing here.

g6matty
03-22-2012, 05:46 AM
You could put a positive spin on someone raping your sister couldn't you? Hilarious!

Seriously dude, this is just ****. There's no blessing here.

these guys are so average they were suposed to be our 4th and 5th string guys behind warren bunkley and vickerson. yet youre upset there gone. youre probably mad kyle mccarthy was cut too.

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 05:50 AM
these guys are so average they were suposed to be our 4th and 5th string guys behind warren bunkley and vickerson. yet youre upset there gone. youre probably mad kyle mccarthy was cut too.

No I'm talking about Bunkley and Thomas. We've lost our best DT and are about to lose our second best as well. Even if we draft a guy (which we won't), that guy isn't going to actually be worth a crap for several years, if ever. This is a ****ing mess.

Old Dude
03-22-2012, 06:22 AM
I'm sure that Del Rio and the front office are aware of the situation at DT and will address it well before the season starts. If we were in August, I'd be concerned. But we're nowhere near that point.

Bmore Manning
03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Two big body DTs, Hill (FA), Thompson (2) and Chapman (4). And draft a DE maybe Cam Johnson in the third.. My thoughts are Ayers can play DT on passing downs and DE on run downs.

TonyR
03-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Sammie Lee Hill (RFA), NT, Lions. Age: 25
Albert Haynesworth, DT, Buccaneers. Age: 31
Derek Landri, DT, Eagles. Age: 28
Antonio Garay, NT, Chargers. Age: 32
Antonio Dixon (RFA), DT, Eagles. Age: 27
Luis Castillo, DE/DT, Chargers. Age: 29
Amobi Okoye, DT, Bears. Age: 25
Desmond Bryant (RFA), DE/DT, Raiders. Age: 26
John Henderson, DT, Raiders. Age: 33
Justin Bannan, DE/DT, Rams. Age: 33
Kelly Gregg, NT, Chiefs. Age: 35
Fred Robbins, DT, Rams. Age: 35
Gerard Warren, DT, Patriots. Age: 34
Shaun Rogers, NT, Saints. Age: 33
Casey Hampton, NT, Steelers. Age: 34
Tony Hargrove, DT, Seahawks. Age: 29.
Aubrayo Franklin, NT, Saints. Age: 32.
Tommie Harris, DT, Chargers. Age: 29.
Rocky Bernard, DT, Giants. Age: 33.
Leger Douzable, DT, Jaguars. Age: 26.
Pat Sims, DT, Bengals. Age: 26.
Brandon McKinney, NT, Ravens. Age: 29.
Eric Foster, DT, Colts. Age: 27.
Kedric Golston, DE/DT, Redskins. Age: 29.
Trevor Laws, DT, Eagles. Age: 27.
Remi Ayodele, DT, Vikings. Age: 29.
Gary Gibson, DT, Rams. Age: 30
Aaron Smith, DE/DT, Steelers. Age: 36.
Anthony Adams, DT, Bears. Age: 32.
Howard Green, NT, Packers. Age: 33.
Vonnie Holliday, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 36.
Aaron Smith, DE/DT, Steelers. Age: 36
Tony Brown, DT, Titans. Age: 31.
Jimmy Kennedy, DT, Giants. Age: 32.
Nate Collins, DT, Jaguars. Age: 24.
Nick Hayden (RFA), DT, Bengals. Age: 26.
Mike Wright, DE/DT, Patriots. Age: 30.
DeMario Pressley, DT, Panthers. Age: 26

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012DT.php

cmhargrove
03-22-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm with the "blessing in disguise" crowd. There is still plenty of time, and the FO has been creative and diligent in checking out all avenues. I would definitely hope for a trade before the draft. It would be nice to see JDR pick a guy he actually wants and make an offer.

If we can manage to sign a good starting CB in free agency, I think the chances of picking multiple DT's in this year's draft goes up.

From Rotoworld, here is the "current" list of defensive linemenn FA's:

Defensive Linemen

Calais Campbell (Franchise Tagged on 3/2)
Mario Williams (Signed 6-year deal with BUF on 3/15)
Robert Mathis (Franchise Tagged on 3/5)
Sione Pouha (Signed 3-year deal on 3/12)
Jason Jones (Signed 1-year deal with SEA on 3/17)
Cliff Avril (Franchise Tagged on 3/5)
John Abraham (Signed 3-year deal on 3/16)
Paul Soliai (Signed 2-year deal on 3/14)
Kamerion Wimbley (Signed 5-year deal with TEN on 3/20)
Mark Anderson (Signed 4-year deal with BUF on 3/21)
Kendall Langford (Signed 4-year deal with STL on 3/17)
Jeremy Mincey (Signed 4-year deal on 3/13)
Brodrick Bunkley (Signed 5-year deal with NO on 3/21)
Matt Roth
Andre Carter
Aubrayo Franklin
Red Bryant (Signed 5-year deal on 3/13)
Luis Castillo
Trevor Laws
Cory Redding (Signed 3-year deal with IND on 3/14)
Israel Idonije Signed 1-year deal on 3/15)
Jarvis Moss
Kroy Biermann (Signed 3-year deal on 3/7)
Tony Brown
Albert Haynesworth
Colin Cole
Marcus Thomas
Letroy Guion (Signed 3-year deal on 3/13)
Pat Sims
Antonio Garay
Derek Landri
Trevor Scott (Signed 1-year deal with NE on 3/17)
Dave Ball
Dave Tollefson
Rocky Bernard
Shaun Rogers
James Hall
Anthony Hargrove
Juqua Parker (Signed 1-year deal with CLE on 3/15)
Jamaal Anderson
Amobi Okoye
Adam Carriker (Signed 4-year deal on 3/13)
Wallace Gilberry
William Hayes
Andre Fluellen (Signed 1-year deal on 3/20)
Raheem Brock
Brandon McKinney
Jovan Haye
Tommie Harris
Howard Green
Frostee Rucker (Signed 5-year deal with CLE on 3/14)
Aaron Smith
Tim Bulman
Jason Hunter
Turk McBride (Signed 1-year deal on 3/9)
Kelly Gregg
Kedric Golston
Jimmy Kennedy
Eric Foster
Vonnie Holliday
Derrick Harvey
Anthony Adams
Eric Moore
Igor Olshansky
Gary Gibson
C.J. Mosley (Signed 3-year deal on 3/13)
Shaun Ellis
Jeff Charleston
Fred Evans (Signed 2-year deal on 3/16)
Jayme Mitchell
Tyler Brayton
Fred Robbins
Darrion Scott (Signed 2-year deal on 2/27)
Gerard Warren
Amon Gordon (Signed 2-year deal on 3/12)
Jonathan Fanene (Signed 3-year deal with NE on 3/14)
Marcus Harrison (Signed undisclosed deal on 3/15)
Everette Brown
Ronald Fields
John Henderson
Justin Bannan
Victor Adeyanju
Daniel Muir
Jimmy Wilkerson
Victor Abiamiri

Bmore Manning
03-22-2012, 07:24 AM
I would target Brandon McKinney, Amboi Okoye, and Hill if they don't want to draft any. McKinney and Hill are huge and both young! Hill can even penetrate. Okoye and Ayers can be the DT on passing downs, and the DEs on run downs. But that means I would draft a DE with the first pick (Mercilus/Curry) to pair with Dumervill. So passing downs would be Dummervill, Okoye, Ayers, Mercilus.. Run downs Okoye, McKinney, Hill, Ayers.. And starting downs Dumervill, McKinney, Hill, Mercilus!

Beantown Bronco
03-22-2012, 07:39 AM
I don't remember exactly what stage of the season it was when Bunkley came in but in the past, we at least had enough warm bodies. I don't think they even have that this year.

As I've mentioned in a few other places, in March of 2011, Vickerson was the only DT on our roster with any NFL experience. The rest of our non practice squad DTs (Warren, Bunkley and Thomas) weren't signed until August. So, believe it or not, we were actually in worse shape last year at this time. And we still didn't draft a single one.

Requiem
03-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Maybe the Broncos are hoping there is some malcontent they can get from another team. None of this Jeremy Jarmon BS trade crap. Make a move for a legitimate player. I like the "win now" mentality, but with no quality DT it is going to be awfully, awfully tough.

sgbfan
03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
As I've mentioned in a few other places, in March of 2011, Vickerson was the only DT on our roster with any NFL experience. The rest of our non practice squad DTs (Warren, Bunkley and Thomas) weren't signed until August. So, believe it or not, we were actually in worse shape last year at this time. And we still didn't draft a single one.

You can't compare this year to last year at this time as there was no possibility to sign free agents at this time last year.

Bighorn
03-22-2012, 08:32 AM
What about Tommie Harris? Was'nt he pretty good with the Bears or am I thinking of someone else?

Rabb
03-22-2012, 08:36 AM
I have faith in the FO, they realize what we need

Dos Rios
03-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm assuming the Manning is effectively a second offensive coordinator and so we'll see the majority of Fox's attention for the next couple years focused on his real passion, defense. On offense, there's a system now, and it's mostly a matter of plugging in some new skill position players around Manning and the o-line. I think Fox will work on establishing that same continuity on the defensive side, and I assume d-line and MLB will be the main focus in the near future.

Beantown Bronco
03-22-2012, 08:52 AM
You can't compare this year to last year at this time as there was no possibility to sign free agents at this time last year.

I certainly can because the fact remains: we had ONE mediocre starting quality DT on our roster last March and we still chose not to draft a single one. There was no guarantee that we'd be able to sign any quality FA DTs or trade for any once the lockout lifted.

We were in worst shape last March than this March. I'm not saying we'll be in worse shape this August than last August. I'm just stating facts as they are today.

joe9999
03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Jarvis Moss and Albert Haynesworth are still unsigned according to Rotoworld.

That One Guy
03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
I certainly can because the fact remains: we had ONE mediocre starting quality DT on our roster last March and we still chose not to draft a single one. There was no guarantee that we'd be able to sign any quality FA DTs or trade for any once the lockout lifted.

We were in worst shape last March than this March. I'm not saying we'll be in worse shape this August than last August. I'm just stating facts as they are today.

I think there are probably slimmer pickings remaining this year than last because FA has already happened but as long as there are a few names out there that wouldn't repulse if they were core pieces, I think the point is valid that we were this bad before. Really, as long as the players make it in time for camps and whatnot, when they sign is really immaterial. Just the earlier it happens, the sooner we can all sigh the sigh of relief and not risk everyone signing elsewhere and us being left empty handed and having to rely on rookies.

BroncoBen
03-22-2012, 09:25 AM
I have faith in the FO, they realize what we need

John Elway was just on the Radio and talked about how they tried to re-sign Brodrick Bunkley and yes they realize that DT needs be address either thru Free Agency or the Draft.

So the FO is not 'clueless' like some people think.

That One Guy
03-22-2012, 09:26 AM
John Elway was just on the Radio and talked about how they tried to re-sign Brodrick Bunkley and yes they realize that DT needs be address either thru Free Agency or the Draft.

Well I realize that the US economy needs more jobs and kids in Africa need more food.

It doesn't help unless I have a solution, however.

BroncoBen
03-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Well I realize that the US economy needs more jobs and kids in Africa need more food.

True... I guess the 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating'.

Rabb
03-22-2012, 09:31 AM

Agreed, my point being...we have no idea what their plan is so let's just continue to believe in them and wait. I mean with Fox and Del Rio...we cannot possibly think they won't address the D can we?

eddie mac
03-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Should be FA and the draft not or.

Rabb
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM

yep

Lestat
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
should be multiples in both. but i do agree with what you said 100%.
the one thing i will say about Elway(sans Joe Mays deal) is that he has been very careful to not saddle the Broncos with a bad contract so far.
i like the way he's signed guys and structured deals.
it at times frustrates me to see guys get less than expected but still not sign here(like MeBane and others at DT last season) but he has made sure that our cap isn't doomed to hell like Shanahan's last few seasons with all the dead cap money from bad FA decisions.

sgbfan
03-22-2012, 10:22 AM

You can, but I think its comparing apples to oranges because we've had over a week of free agency to see some of the chips fall.

Beantown Bronco
03-22-2012, 10:29 AM
You can, but I think its comparing apples to oranges because we've had over a week of free agency to see some of the chips fall.

And how many DTs have we missed out on vs how many are still available? And, looking at last year, Marcus Thomas was literally the only FA DT we signed. The rest were trades. If this staff didn't value the FA crop from last year, which was the best in NFL history, I doubt they're going to go crazy this year. I could see us go the late round/future draft pick trade route again.

sgbfan
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
And how many DTs have we missed out on vs how many are still available? And, looking at last year, Marcus Thomas was literally the only FA DT we signed. The rest were trades. If this staff didn't value the FA crop from last year, which was the best in NFL history, I doubt they're going to go crazy this year. I could see us go the late round/future draft pick trade route again.

Warren was a FA If I remember correctly. The difference is last year there was a lot more hope at this time because there was still FA and there was a little better DT crop in FA. We've already missed out on a few this year.

Beantown Bronco
03-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Warren was a FA If I remember correctly

That's right. I'm still trying to block that entire signing out of my mind. Man, I hated it at the time and hate it even more now.

Bmore Manning
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Can't believe you guys don't like my idea.
Get Hill and McKinney and the middle is clogged. Could get Okoye as a pass down DT or run down DE and Ayers will have the same role. Draft Mercilus @25!

Mountain Bronco
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
I am bummed to loose Bunkley as I thought he was a solid player, but I wouldn't have given him the same 5 year deal that NO did. I thought they overpaid.

Hopefully Elway has some magic left and we can get a couple good rotational FA and some up and comers in the draft.

MABroncoFan
03-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Brandon Spano Show‏@BrandonSpanoReply

@Dmac is reporting that the Broncos have contacted Justin Bannan. He says other teams have as well.

Baba Booey
03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
McShay graded Marcus Forston from Miami as a fifth rounder. That would be a tremendous pick for us in the fifth.

Injury concerns and he was suspended for the Nevin Shapiro deal, but he has fringe first round potential.

bowtown
03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
McShay graded Marcus Forston from Miami as a fifth rounder. That would be a tremendous pick for us in the fifth.

Injury concerns and he was suspended for the Nevin Shapiro deal, but he has fringe first round potential.

But can he do a backflip?

g6matty
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM

@Dmac is reporting that the Broncos have contacted Justin Bannan. He says other teams have as well.

i really hope we dont bring this guy in

pricejj
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Another Xanders move...

Baba Booey
03-22-2012, 03:28 PM
But can he do a backflip?

You know, as I was typing that, I damn near put a Marcus Thomas reference in there. Definitely similar.

Agamemnon
03-22-2012, 03:32 PM

What a joke...

ZONA
03-22-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't know what they heck the Broncos are going to do but this is becoming a huge problem.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 04:18 PM
i just threw up in my mouth a little.

MABroncoFan
03-22-2012, 04:44 PM
How about Okoye, Trevor Laws, A.Franklin, Garay?

Lestat
03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Franklin and Garay are both NT types for a 3-4 D. if we run a hybrid or just require huge DT's up the middle(like Del Rio in his early Jacksonville days)then they could be pretty good signs for us.

Drunken.Broncoholic
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Xanders really likes to back up his "value signing" comment.

kappys
03-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Franklin and Garay are both NT types for a 3-4 D. if we run a hybrid or just require huge DT's up the middle(like Del Rio in his early Jacksonville days)then they could be pretty good signs for us.

2 Giants in the middle with no push in pass rush might be the best option for us at this point. Ayers turned it on by the end of the year rushing from the UT spot and we have good pass rushers on the outside. Plus it will help shield reckless Mays in the middle from even more whiffed tackles.

Jekyll15Hyde
03-22-2012, 05:03 PM

I was kind of hoping that Del Rio would go this route. I prefer behemoth DTs that just take up space and need to be double teamed routinely.

kappys
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I was kind of hoping that Del Rio would go this route. I prefer behemoth DTs that just take up space and need to be double teamed routinely.

At the moment I think this is the smartest move for us. We still have a liability at MLB and no tackling SS(I am not relying on Dawkins to return at this point). We need to have some beef up front to reduce the risk of a ball control offense keeping PM off the field.

BroncoMatt
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Bigger nightmare. Daryl Gardner tweeted that he will be a bronco by Sept. Bank on it he says.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 05:22 PM
that's part of the reason i wanna trade up for Poe. he's a 350 lb man child with freak athleticism and his job would be to attract double teams and any pass rush he gives us would be golden. you sit Ty Warren next to him as a 300 lb tackling and pass rushing DT and that frees up the ends to rush the passer.

his not dominating college at his skill worries me but i think he can be molded into a beast under Del Rio and Fox.

Bmore Manning
03-22-2012, 05:27 PM
I said the other day Del Rio likes NT in a two gap 4-3. I say Hill and McKinney, Hill can penetrate and both would come cheap.
Bring Okoye or Anderson in as a DT in passing downs or DEs in run downs.

elsid13
03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
that's part of the reason i wanna trade up for Poe. he's a 350 lb man child with freak athleticism and his job would be to attract double teams and any pass rush he gives us would be golden. you sit Ty Warren next to him as a 300 lb tackling and pass rushing DT and that frees up the ends to rush the passer.

his not dominating college at his skill worries me but i think he can be molded into a beast under Del Rio and Fox.

I think people are over drafting Poe because of his performance in Indy. He very raw and didn't have great tape in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he not sitting there on Day 2 of the draft.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Poe was a top 25 pick before the combine, he's a top 12-15 pick now after it.
there is always someone who get over drafted at this time because a team loves what they see and want to make sure they get "their guy".

honestly i'd be satisfied with Brockers,Poe,Cox or Still in the first round. Poe is a space eater with a ton of potential who hasn't lived up to it yet, Still also hasn't quite lived up to his but he's solid, Cox came out a year too early but is going to be a beast in the NFL. the only thing that worries me about Cox is can he get bigger and maintain his abilities since he could be a 3-4 tweener. Brockers is the safest bet and his game film speaks for itself, he gets it done and he might be the best fit depending upon the type of D we run under Del Rio. Brockers would be the start of that big 2 clog the gut DT tandem and force the opposing D to the corners.
I think people are over drafting Poe because of his performance in Indy. He very raw and didn't have great tape in college. I wouldn't be surprised if he not sitting there on Day 2 of the draft.

27atwater
03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
I like Still or Worthy in round 1 and Mike Martin or Jaye Howard some time later on in the draft. SL Hill would be a good get using our 4th. Lions are spending lotsa $$ on the dline and likely couldn't/wouldn't match.

cmhargrove
03-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Poe was a top 25 pick before the combine, he's a top 12-15 pick now after it.
there is always someone who get over drafted at this time because a team loves what they see and want to make sure they get "their guy".

honestly i'd be satisfied with Brockers,Poe,Cox or Still in the first round. Poe is a space eater with a ton of potential who hasn't lived up to it yet, Still also hasn't quite lived up to his but he's solid, Cox came out a year too early but is going to be a beast in the NFL. the only thing that worries me about Cox is can he get bigger and maintain his abilities since he could be a 3-4 tweener. Brockers is the safest bet and his game film speaks for itself, he gets it done and he might be the best fit depending upon the type of D we run under Del Rio. Brockers would be the start of that big 2 clog the gut DT tandem and force the opposing D to the corners.

I hope Poe is gone before our pick soo we don't make the mistake. Dn't get me wron, he may end up good somewhere down the line, or on a deep team, but he isn't the guy to help us turn around our d-line. Project guy.

I get the feeling it will be Brockers, because he is a big mofo and fits the JDR mold (Stroud & Henderson). I think his combine dropped him a little bit, and would be a solid pick at 25. I personally like Devon Still, but I won't complain if we get any of the top D-tackles.

extralife
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Guys, we got Peyton. We want to rush the passer, we want to push for a title, there's not much out there. It's time to take a shot.

Fat Albert.

yerner
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM

you're ****ing nuts. no matter what his real value, he is getting drafted in the first 2 rounds.

pricejj
03-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Bigger nightmare. Daryl Gardner tweeted that he will be a bronco by Sept. Bank on it he says.

...that was Darryl Reid...and he would have to beat out Jeremy Beal, which I doubt would happen.

Xanders needs to be fired immediately. We just signed Peyton Manning, we have $37M in cap space...and for some reason, we can't re-sign Marcus Thomas? What the heck is going on down there?

We are now going to have to find a FB, as well.

Even if we sign Marcus Thomas, Jeff Saturday, Joel Dreesen, and Caleb Hanie, we still won't even dip into the $26M in cap rollover. I guess Elway wasn't lying when he said we are only spending cash up to the salary cap, a couple months ago. If you are going to sign Peyton Manning, don't you think you would at least use SOME of the rollover?

This roster is even more pitiful than last year...which is fairly difficult to do.

elsid13
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
you're ****ing nuts. no matter what his real value, he is getting drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Second Day is round 2 now, since NFL change the Draft format for TV.

yerner
03-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Second Day is round 2 now, since NFL change the Draft format for TV.

semantics. gargle my hammer, nerd. he still goes in the first. dude is 350 and ran a sub 5 forty. somebody reaches. ****, i hope its the broncos that get a chance. high risk high reward is a perfect 25 pick.

elsid13
03-22-2012, 07:35 PM
semantics. gargle my hammer, nerd. he still goes in the first. dude is 350 and ran a sub 5 forty. somebody reaches. ****, i hope its the broncos that get a chance. high risk high reward is a perfect 25 pick.

Don't make me beat your ass with a 2X4. Now go get me a beer bitch.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Brockers isn't going to fall to #25. he's the top DT in the draft and even if Poe goes ahead of him they're both top 20 picks. if not top 15.
I hope Poe is gone before our pick soo we don't make the mistake. Dn't get me wron, he may end up good somewhere down the line, or on a deep team, but he isn't the guy to help us turn around our d-line. Project guy.

I get the feeling it will be Brockers, because he is a big mofo and fits the JDR mold (Stroud & Henderson). I think his combine dropped him a little bit, and would be a solid pick at 25. I personally like Devon Still, but I won't complain if we get any of the top D-tackles.

yerner
03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Brockers isn't going to fall to #25. he's the top DT in the draft and even if Poe goes ahead of him they're both top 20 picks. if not top 15.

lots of mock drafts have him falling. no pass rush skills.

cmhargrove
03-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Add to that poor combine + not as much starting experience. He's a little more raw than many first expected.

DENVERDUI55
03-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Kelly Gregg, Garay and Franklin get on the plane to Denver.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM

mock drafts have him falling because of his combine. front office people expected him to be a athletic freak and have that SEC speed going for him. but when you put on him game film you see what he does best, that's take up space, make plays and free up his LB's and DE's. he's not a pass rusher and wasn't advertised to be.

yerner
03-22-2012, 07:49 PM
mock drafts have him falling because of his combine. front office people expected him to be a athletic freak and have that SEC speed going for him. but when you put on him game film you see what he does best, that's take up space, make plays and free up his LB's and DE's. he's not a pass rusher and wasn't advertised to be.

fair enough. you are right, he is probably gone. i hope he falls to the broncos though.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 07:51 PM
if he falls to #25 i will be glad to be wrong. but i don't see it. too big, too strong and too much of a SEC pedigree to linger in the draft.
Add to that poor combine + not as much starting experience. He's a little more raw than many first expected.

27atwater
03-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Brockers falls because he didn't do anything at LSU. He surprised a bunch of folks by coming out and a kneejerk response made any LSU DT a top 10 pick. Til the research began...then the combine. Dude shoulda stayed in school.

oubronco
03-22-2012, 08:07 PM
I'd rather have Worthy or Still instead of Brockers he's just a product of good players around him making him look better

Lestat
03-22-2012, 08:09 PM
odd that you say that since that's the knock on Still because he's seen as extremely talented but since about two seasons ago has "coasted" on his talent and not gotten better.

i like Still too but i don't agree with the assessment that he's a product of the players around him only.
I'd rather have Worthy or Still instead of Brockers he's just a product of good players around him making him look better

pricejj
03-22-2012, 08:10 PM

If you're going to draft Brockers, Poe, Still, or Worthy, you might as well draft Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round, and start grooming him to be the QBOTF. You aren't going to win any Superbowls surrounding Peyton Manning with a bunch of scrubs on Offense, and a bottom 10 Defense.

We need a REAL RT, C, #1WR, FB, LG, TE, NT, UT, and MLB...you MIGHT...I repeat MIGHT be able to come close, if you surround Peyton Manning with weapons, and have him go for it Colts style.

oubronco
03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
odd that you say that since that's the knock on Still because he's seen as extremely talented but since about two seasons ago has "coasted" on his talent and not gotten better.

i like Still too but i don't agree with the assessment that he's a product of the players around him only.

He's got talent but I don't think he'll be as good as Worthy or Still

barryr
03-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Other than maybe Fletcher Cox, I don't see DT at #25 as being the BPA there and even if he is questionable as being BPA there. It would likely be CB, WR, RB, OL, or LB. That is why I have mentioned trading down for a while now.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
you also aren't going to win a super bowl if you don't address key areas of need in the draft and early. any player you take isn't going to come in and instantly be a top guy at his position with where we're drafting. you have to draft for the future and for now.
If you're going to draft Brockers, Poe, Still, or Worthy, you might as well draft Brock Osweiler in the 2nd round, and start grooming him to be the QBOTF. You aren't going to win any Superbowls surrounding Peyton Manning with a bunch of scrubs on Offense, and a bottom 10 Defense.

We need a REAL RT, C, #1WR, FB, LG, TE, NT, UT, and MLB...you MIGHT...I repeat MIGHT be able to come close if you surround Peyton Manning with weapons, and have him go for it Colts style.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 08:44 PM
i'm not sold on Worthy as a first round guy, or at least not as the main pick.
i've watched him play in many games due to being a B10 guy and a Michigan fan and he just seems like a guy who is bound to disappoint if taken higher than the 2nd. i'd rather take Reyes from Uconn over him at this point, but i don't like either as a 1st round pick.
He's got talent but I don't think he'll be as good as Worthy or Still

KCStud
03-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Michael Brockers is the best DT in this class and he isn't fall past 11. I'd be surprised if he fell past Carolina at 9.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Brockers also had a nice pro day, he improved on everything he did at the combine.

cmhargrove
03-22-2012, 08:51 PM

We need a REAL RT, C, #1WR, FB, LG, TE, NT, UT, and MLB...you MIGHT...I repeat MIGHT be able to come close if you surround Peyton Manning with weapons, and have him go for it Colts style.

Once again, this is just silly. So drafting young, talented players means you can't win? I don't understand your logic, because there isn't much of it.

A. Rookies can produce as rookies.
B. Not all NFL starters come from the first half of the first round.
C. We don't have to have the top player at every single position in order to win.

You're starting to get a bit "chicken little" about this team. I am seeing an organization get one key component at a time without overpaying for anyone (ok, they overpaid for Mays). The rest of this offseason has been solid. Let's just see what happens between here and the draft before talking about grooming Brock Osweiler (drama).

KCStud
03-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Brockers also had a nice pro day, he improved on everything he did at the combine.

He sure did. His 30 inch vertical was insane considering those long arms of his.

His 3 cone was faster than Poe too, showing that he has a better burst.

He has some major upside to him. I can see him being a very good NT.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
He sure did. His 30 inch vertical was insane considering those long arms of his.

His 3 cone was faster than Poe too, showing that he has a better burst.

He has some major upside to him. I can see him being a very good NT for the Broncos.

fixed that for you ;D

razorwire77
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Is there any word on Ty Warren? I gotta imagine EFX plan on him recovering and playing a significant role on the line, because we've got **** for depth right now. It's not like most drafted DT's are plug and play ready either. Gotta really wonder what Bunkley was thinking.

Shananahan
03-22-2012, 09:32 PM
His 30 inch vertical was insane considering those long arms of his.
Somebody explain this to me.

uplink
03-22-2012, 09:36 PM

Vertical Jump = Height * (radius of calf / 4inches ) * (footsize / arm length)

Lestat
03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
i agree 100%, the exact problem that the Colts had is what the other posting was suggesting we do.
they surrounded him with weapons, plugged holes in the D with lesser players who fit their scheme and it came back to bite them.

Manning is here for at least 3 years in my opinion, honestly i think he'll play 6 years and then retire with us. but you have to mix both the future and now when drafting. the foundation isn't fully built yet, you still have to add guys to the young core we have in place. that means drafting guys who are going to be with the franchise for 6+ seasons and producing at a high level, not just a instant satisfaction and then when Peyton leaves we go down the crapper.
Once again, this is just silly. So drafting young, talented players means you can't win? I don't understand your logic, because there isn't much of it.

A. Rookies can produce as rookies.
B. Not all NFL starters come from the first half of the first round.
C. We don't have to have the top player at every single position in order to win.

You're starting to get a bit "chicken little" about this team. I am seeing an organization get one key component at a time without overpaying for anyone (ok, they overpaid for Mays). The rest of this offseason has been solid. Let's just see what happens between here and the draft before talking about grooming Brock Osweiler (drama).

DBroncos4life
03-22-2012, 09:44 PM
**** it bring Fat Al in.

Lestat
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7199/obamahellnoya8.jpg
**** it bring Fat Al in.

DBroncos4life
03-22-2012, 10:03 PM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7199/obamahellnoya8.jpg
JDR will bring the AXE down on him if he gets out of line. I read that Denver inquired about him once last year.

KCStud
03-22-2012, 10:18 PM

It means he has a really good build to bat passes down and block FG's. He did it in college. Here's what that kind of athleticism can do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O32b2wG9j1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lestat
03-22-2012, 10:27 PM
allows him to play taller and force the QB out of the pocket or to throw where he can't fully see. even better it means batted balls, DT int's and tip drills to the LB's,DE's and DB's.

Beantown Bronco
03-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Is there any word on Ty Warren?

He hurt himself answering the phone earlier in the week. He'll be out for the year.

Hoosier Bronco
03-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Anyone know why we aren't talking to Pat Sims?

MABroncoFan
03-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Vic Lombardi‏@VicLombardi

RT @milehighmagic1: do u think they will beef up the middle of D in Fa????----yes, this weekend

Bmore Manning
03-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Anyone know why we aren't talking to Pat Sims?

Cause he's not very good...

Hoosier Bronco
03-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Cause he's not very good...

With this reasoning, is this why we also haven't talked to Brandon McKinney or Amobi Okoye?

We need some depth/competition/bodies in camp with NFL experience.

gyldenlove
03-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Brockers is an athlete, not a football player so it is no surprise he works out well. He is really not much different from Glenn Dorsey or Tyson Jackson, LSU produces highly athletic but technically lacking defensive linemen.

gyldenlove
03-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Right now I would really like Worthy in R1 and Derek Wolfe in R3 if he is still there.

Shananahan
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
It means he has a really good build to bat passes down and block FG's. He did it in college. Here's what that kind of athleticism can do.
Ok, that makes sense. The way it was worded I thought you were saying that long arms somehow made it difficult to jump high.

Bmore Manning
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
With this reasoning, is this why we also haven't talked to Brandon McKinney or Amobi Okoye?

We need some depth/competition/bodies in camp with NFL experience.

My suggestion was Hill, McKinney as the run cloggers. Okoye as a pass rushing DT along side Ayers as a DT. And then that duo can play run down DE with McKinney and Hill.

But they would be role players not studs.. I watched that bum Sims, he is a back up situational player.. Not that he can't improve

Hoosier Bronco
03-23-2012, 11:48 AM
My suggestion was Hill, McKinney as the run cloggers. Okoye as a pass rushing DT along side Ayers as a DT. And then that duo can play run down DE with McKinney and Hill.

But they would be role players not studs.. I watched that bum Sims, he is a back up situational player.. Not that he can't improve

I never said Sims was a stud. I think of him as a situational run stopper. As thin as we are, we should have a revolving door of defensive tackles coming in.

DBroncos4life
03-23-2012, 11:52 AM

I mentioned Hill before. Not sure he is worth the 4th tho, we got Bunkley for about the same so might as well.

ORANGEJARHEAD
03-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Exactly. I scream it at the tv every draft. Get a great D-Lineman! Who did we pick up in free agency back in the day that helped us win a Super Bowl, Niel Smith from the Chiefs. Excellent D-lineman. But, we are the Denver Broncos, we will keep picking up Cleveland Browns cast-offs to fill our D-line holes.

Bmore Manning
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I never said Sims was a stud. I think of him as a situational run stopper. As thin as we are, we should have a revolving door of defensive tackles coming in.

Yeah DTs are deff needed..

ayjackson
03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
DT's still available: Aubrayo Franklin, Antonio Garay, Kelly Gregg, Pat Sims, Amobi Okoye.

Bob
03-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Since Jumpy Geathers....;D

Ziggy
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I mentioned Hill before. Not sure he is worth the 4th tho, we got Bunkley for about the same so might as well.

Hill is well worth a 4th rounder. Now that the Lions have re-signed Tulloch and Avril, they may not have the money to match an offer from Denver to Hill.

TonyR
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Vic Lombardi tweeted that the Broncos would do something "this weekend". Let's hope he's right.

lonestar
03-23-2012, 12:51 PM

He came in late in the UFA signing period IIRC even after the other guy Warren(?) that did not play a snap.

There are players to be had in UFA and trades available but do we want to pay those prices unless we get an all pro level guy out of one I'd rather draft and draft again..

There is no reason a 1st or 2nd round guy could not come in and contribute mightily to this squad.. It IS IMO devoid of talent IF MT does sign somewhere else and if he does not, well still lacking great starters..

IT is time to spend some top picks on the BASIC building blocks of your Defense the DL.

SO far we have one real DE that was drafted by us Ayers and while he has not been the guy that many projected him to be having major changes in concept and DL coaches over his career most likely hampered his developement.

I do not think he will ever be a Super Mario type guy for getting the to the passer, but for hold the edge in the run game, well not many better.. Something you want your #1 picks to be solid dependable starters for a long time..

Beyond him everyone is from somewhere else or scrubs..

It is time to build that position from the draft.. Using more than #4s to do it.

now for the morons that Think I'm dissing Doom, he is a great pass rushing DE but sucks in ALL other parts of his game..

lonestar
03-23-2012, 12:53 PM
i agree 100%, the exact problem that the Colts had is what the other posting was suggesting we do.
they surrounded him with weapons, plugged holes in the D with lesser players who fit their scheme and it came back to bite them.

Manning is here for at least 3 years in my opinion, honestly i think he'll play 6 years and then retire with us. but you have to mix both the future and now when drafting. the foundation isn't fully built yet, you still have to add guys to the young core we have in place. that means drafting guys who are going to be with the franchise for 6+ seasons and producing at a high level, not just a instant satisfaction and then when Peyton leaves we go down the crapper.

IMO manning is here to get one more ring maybe 2 If he does that in two years he is gonzo..

He knows that he is pushing the envelop on his health and wants to enjoy his billions while he can still walk..

uplink
03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Since Jumpy Geathers....;D

Didn't this guy break up ice with an ice pick before every home game? I remember something like that.

broncswin
03-23-2012, 02:05 PM
DT's still available: Aubrayo Franklin, Antonio Garay, Kelly Gregg, Pat Sims, Amobi Okoye.

"Look there's some DT's on the side of the road....well...pick em up"

Lestat
03-23-2012, 02:28 PM
i think that Peyton wants to play for quite a bit more, he's one of those types that loves football and he even said when sitting out last season that he had no idea what to do with his time because he's so used to his routine.

i also think that he wants to have more rings than Eli when he retires, not out of pettiness or anything but just competitive spirit.
IMO manning is here to get one more ring maybe 2 If he does that in two years he is gonzo..

He knows that he is pushing the envelop on his health and wants to enjoy his billions while he can still walk..

Lestat
03-23-2012, 02:31 PM
lol Brockers is not an athlete, that's what was expected of him at the combine and he didn't wow. Brockers is not a workout warrior and you have to watch the film in conjunction with his combine/pro day stats to get his full value as a player.

when he's on the field he does work. but Poe is the wow combine guy. i think both will be good in the NFL but each will bring different things to the table.
Brockers is an athlete, not a football player so it is no surprise he works out well. He is really not much different from Glenn Dorsey or Tyson Jackson, LSU produces highly athletic but technically lacking defensive linemen.

DENVERDUI55
03-24-2012, 11:12 AM
We all know that this will be our DT's going into this year. Every year it's the same story. Try and get 20K out of a retread that has only 5K left.

barryr
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
The Bronco will probably end up re-signing Thomas and maybe an Okoye type, but trading down to get guys like Reyes and Thompson would be ideal IMO. But that would require the Broncos to view DT more important than they seem to in recent years.

ayjackson
03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
The Bronco will probably end up re-signing Thomas and maybe an Okoye type, but trading down to get guys like Reyes and Thompson would be ideal IMO. But that would require the Broncos to view DT more important than they seem to in recent years.

Wholeheartedly agree.

TonyR
03-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Vic Lombardi tweeted that the Broncos would do something "this weekend". Let's hope he's right.

Um, Vic, what happened?

BroncoBen
03-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Well don't forget teams will be making cuts to get down to that 53-man roster. I'm not worried.. the Broncos still have plenty of time to get some big bodies.

Tombstone RJ
03-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Cox at 25 is probably a pipe dream too. I'd have no problem if the Broncos took best defensive player available at 25 (maybe offense player if it's a steal) and then draft interior defensive lineman in next few rounds and maybe a RB like Turbin in round 5. Then take a QB late in the draft.

TonyR
03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Adam Caplan reports that the Bengals have scheduled a free agent meeting with defensive tackle Amobi Okoye.

The visit will take place following this week’s NFL owners meetings.

Okoye, who’s still only 24 years old, tallied four sacks off the bench for the Bears last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/bengals-to-visit-with-amobi-okoye/

gyldenlove
03-26-2012, 01:21 PM
lol Brockers is not an athlete, that's what was expected of him at the combine and he didn't wow. Brockers is not a workout warrior and you have to watch the film in conjunction with his combine/pro day stats to get his full value as a player.

when he's on the field he does work. but Poe is the wow combine guy. i think both will be good in the NFL but each will bring different things to the table.

You didn't see his pro day then. Brockers is far behind where he should be in terms of technique and getting production out of his talent. If you stick him on the field now, he will be the next Tyson Jackson or Glenn Dorsey, if you let him work for it for a year or two and really whip him hard, he could be the next Richard Seymour.

ColoradoBuff
03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Adam Caplan reports that the Bengals have scheduled a free agent meeting with defensive tackle Amobi Okoye.

The visit will take place following this week’s NFL owners meetings.

Okoye, who’s still only 24 years old, tallied four sacks off the bench for the Bears last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/26/bengals-to-visit-with-amobi-okoye/

FOCK!

Lestat
03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Brockers is not the type you sit and develop. you throw him in the mix and coach him up on his mistakes and continue to coach him until he improves.
DT's always take awhile to fully develop and rarely do you see even the most dominant ones be that from day 1(Suh is just a straight up freak).

any DT the Broncos take in the top 2 rounds is going to immediately be in the mix for the two deep and depending on Vickerson and Warren will be in the mix to start. almost every DT has severe holes in their game or takes plays off, Brockers isn't where he needs to be but his potential will allow him to get there with coaching.
You didn't see his pro day then. Brockers is far behind where he should be in terms of technique and getting production out of his talent. If you stick him on the field now, he will be the next Tyson Jackson or Glenn Dorsey, if you let him work for it for a year or two and really whip him hard, he could be the next Richard Seymour.

oubronco
03-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut Warren

g6matty
03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
how can we have a thread on a position our team doesnt know exists