PDA

View Full Version : ancient fossilized QB Joe Namath bitter and angry about Tebow trade to NYJ.

Gort
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7719820/joe-namath-blasts-new-york-jets-pursuit-tim-tebow

how is this clown in the HOF? if anyone ever needed proof of an east coast bias, it's this old geezer...

career completion % - 50.1%
career passing yards - 27663 over 13 seasons (that's barely 2100 yards a year)
career TDs - 173
career INTs - 220

even in his 1 SB, he was only 17 of 28 for 206 yards with 0 TD.

and yet, at age 68, he still can't stand the idea of sharing the NYC spotlight with Tebow.

TheReverend
03-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Lol at thread title.

Archer81
03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
No Kolber reference?

Pshaw, sirrah.

:Broncos:

lolcopter
03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
5* thread title

Spider
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
well you guys will get used to ganggreen ..........enjoy the jets ladies

broncosteven
03-21-2012, 06:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7719820/joe-namath-blasts-new-york-jets-pursuit-tim-tebow

how is this clown in the HOF? if anyone ever needed proof of an east coast bias, it's this old geezer...

career TDs - 173
career INTs - 220

and yet, at age 68, he still can't stand the idea of sharing the NYC spotlight with Tebow.

Watch SBIII, much better than any Miami SB, Griese should only be allowed near the HOF to hold the door for Czonka and Kick.

Gort
03-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Watch SBIII, much better than any Miami SB, Griese should only be allowed near the HOF to hold the door for Czonka and Kick.

since i grew up a Baltimore Colts fan, asking me to watch SB III would be like asking Michael Moore to order a small salad instead of the entire lefthand side of the menu at McDonalds.

broncosteven
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
since i grew up a Baltimore Colts fan, asking me to watch SB III would be like asking Michael Moore to order a small salad instead of the entire lefthand side of the menu at McDonalds.

For a day Namath was > Morall&Unitas. I didn't get it watching the NFL films hack job but when I saw the game in toto I could see why it was such a great game.

Man-Goblin
03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Struggguuulingk.

Garcia Bronco
03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I want to kiss you

barryr
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM

career TDs - 173
career INTs - 220

Wow, I never took the time to look up Namath's stats and no way would I have imagined they were that bad. Goes to show how winning a Super Bowl in NY can make a career. He even had a losing record as a QB too. I'd have to put him on the overrated list for QB's.

extralife
03-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Mark Sanchez is the most coddled athlete in professional sports. That locker room is going to blow up again because the rest of the team isn't going to be able to take it

loborugger
03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
"I do not agree with this situation," Namath said. "I can't agree with it. I just think it's a publicity stunt. I really think it's wrong. I can't go for it."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ccenFp_3kq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jetmeck
03-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Should be fun to watch but like a Chief fan coming on the Mane to brag, Namath should STFU. He is starting to believe all the hype and his stats clearly do not back up the hype.

orangeatheist
03-21-2012, 07:44 PM
It's funny Namath should call this a publicity stunt. Wasn't he the guy wearing ladies pantyhose?

Anikai
03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Wasn't he the guy wearing ladies pantyhose?

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs3/1835553_o.gif

orangeatheist
03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Anyone old enough to remember this:

http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrary/department/images/namathblogpic.jpg

colorado jones
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
LOL at that "HOF" resume

Bronco Bob
03-21-2012, 08:13 PM
No Kolber reference?

Pshaw, sirrah.

:Broncos:

Maybe Suzi can give Joe a kiss and make him feel better.

Gort
03-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Anyone old enough to remember this:

http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrary/department/images/namathblogpic.jpg

don't remember that, but do remember this...

http://factoidz.com/images/user/bradybunchnamathlooklinland.jpg

gunns
03-21-2012, 08:16 PM

career TDs - 173
career INTs - 220

While I agree his overall career was not HOF, I loved SBIII (first bet I won). He does understand the meaning of being the fan of the team and not a player and worrying about said player being more of a problem than a remedy. I guess you can label him a hater since he's a fan of the team and not just the player.

Spider
03-21-2012, 08:20 PM
It's funny Namath should call this a publicity stunt. Wasn't he the guy wearing ladies pantyhose?

these idiots comparing Namaths stats with Tebows are idiots , Namath played in an era where you could mug a wr down field , hit a defenseless wr over the middle .......but if they need to do this to feel better bout their new team let em have at it

Gort
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
While I agree his overall career was not HOF, I loved SBIII (first bet I won). He does understand the meaning of being the fan of the team and not a player and worrying about said player being more of a problem than a remedy. I guess you can label him a hater since he's a fan of the team and not just the player.

Rex and Namath don't much like each other. i'm sure Rex is enjoying Namath's meltdown just a little bit. i don't like either of them, but i thank Rex for giving us one of the most enjoyable moments of the past season.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/893086/ryan_medium.gif

v2micca
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
You know, I can kind of see where he is coming from on this rant. Right now, the New York Jets are about as much of a media circus as you can get. Adding Tebow to the mix isn't going to solve that problem, just exacerbate it. I'm certain he isn't the only Jets fan concerned about the state of the Jets Locker Room following Tebow' acquisition.

Bronco Bob
03-21-2012, 08:22 PM

career TDs - 173
career INTs - 220

Maybe there is a reason it is called the Hall of Fame, and not the Hall of the Players with the Best Statistics in Football.
I dare say Namath is more famous than the majority of player in the Hall of FAME.

ClamChowdah
03-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Comparing stats from players and football games 30+ years ago to todays players is comparing apples to oranges, teams actually played defense then and you couldn't go across the middle, go look at John Elways numbers and how inferior they are to Brady/Manning then think back even further for Namath.

You think Wes Welker dominates the NFL 30 years ago? I think he gets obliterated consistantly.

Anyway his point is completetly true, the Jets can't handle being the little brother to the Giants so need headlines.

Spider
03-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Comparing stats from players and football games 30+ years ago to todays players is comparing apples to oranges, teams actually played defense then and you couldn't go across the middle, go look at John Elways numbers and how inferior they are to Brady/Manning then think back even further for Namath.

You think Wes Welker dominates the NFL 30 years ago? I think he gets obliterated consistantly.

Anyway his point is completetly true, the Jets can't handle being the little brother to the Giants so need headlines.

you finally got something right , this is why most of us cant wait till these Teboners are gone , they are an embarrassment to the well the best afc team the Denver Broncos

Turd_Ferguson
03-21-2012, 09:54 PM

career TDs - 173
career INTs - 220

Wait wait wait... A Tebow fan is calling out Joe Namath on his stats? ROFL! Aren't Tebow fans supposed to throw most of those stats out the window and go with the athlete/winner argument?

errand
03-21-2012, 10:02 PM
these idiots comparing Namaths stats with Tebows are idiots , Namath played in an era where you could mug a wr down field , hit a defenseless wr over the middle .......but if they need to do this to feel better bout their new team let em have at it

Joe isn't in the HoF for his stats as much as his impact on the game......

He basically is why players are better compensated, and he help give the AFL credibility....as the merger came in 1970.

dsmoot
03-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Wow, I never took the time to look up Namath's stats and no way would I have imagined they were that bad. Goes to show how winning a Super Bowl in NY can make a career. He even had a losing record as a QB too. I'd have to put him on the overrated list for QB's.

Don't lose track of how bad the Jets became after the SB. When healthy, Namath had a great release ala Marino and was very accurate. He had real talent but was not supported well and played from behind. So the statistics are very misleading. I thought the same about Archie Manning. If he had stayed healthy and played under the current rules, there is no limit to what Namath could of done. His legacy is a little like Mickey Mantle.

I died when he beat the Colts in SB3. It was no fluke and I became a real fan of his.

Bronco Yoda
03-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Namath is one the coolest cats ever to play in the NFL. He was the only athlete on Nixon's enemy list. True story...lol

He may have played and won the most important game ever in pro football (SB III) & gave the AFL (AFC) respect. The Colts had a great Defense at the time.

He called his own plays and was known for his quick progressions. You'll never see a prettier ball thrown either. Super fast release. Could throw 40 yarders on a rope off balance back peddling. Known for his ability to read Defenses.Vince Lombardi once said he was almost the perfect passer.

If there was a time machine, IMO he'd be able to play in today's game.... and still out party everyone between practices. He was way ahead of his time.

He was the FIRST to throw for four-thousand yards in a season. (Remember the seasons were much shorter and D-rules much different back then) . He once had a game where he went 496 yards with only 15 completions. He could really air it out. People who look at his completion stats must realize that he was a long ball thrower in a time that wasn't meant for it (WR's and D-rules)

He played on really bad knees from college and played his entire pro career with a lot of pain. One tough SOB. Too bad because he was one of the great mobile QB's if not the greatest of his time until he got hurt. The doctors said he wouldn't play more than 3-4 years in the pro's if he was lucky. And yes he played it all up.

Everyone should watch the old ESPN Classics and NFL Sports Century etc. on Namath. It might just change some minds.

I've got a copy of SB3 on NBC (in living color... lol) airing converted to DVD. Interesting shifts at the LOS. Jim Turners straight on 2 step kicks. Bob Hope as special guest. Johny U. coming off the bench. Player of the game got a sweet red Dukes of Hazards Dodge Charger. The Colts furious attempted comeback at the end. Namath called a great game. One of the greatest upsets in sports history. Good stuff...

Spider
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Namath is one the coolest cats ever to play in the NFL. He was the only athlete on Nixon's enemy list. True story...lol

He may have played and won the most important game ever in pro football (SB III) & gave the AFL (AFC) respect. The Colts had a great Defense at the time.

He called his own plays and was known for his quick progressions. You'll never see a prettier ball thrown either. Super fast release. Could throw 40 yarders on a rope off balance back peddling. Known for his ability to read Defenses.Vince Lombardi once said he was almost the perfect passer.

If there was a time machine, IMO he'd be able to play in today's game.... and still out party everyone between practices. He was way ahead of his time.

He was the FIRST to throw for four-thousand yards in a season. (Remember the seasons were much shorter and D-rules much different back then) . He once had a game where he went 496 yards with only 15 completions. He could really air it out. People who look at his completion stats must realize that he was a long ball thrower in a time that wasn't meant for it (WR's and D-rules)

He played on really bad knees from college and played his entire pro career with a lot of pain. One tough SOB. Too bad because he was one of the great mobile QB's if not the greatest of his time until he got hurt. The doctors said he wouldn't play more than 3-4 years in the pro's if he was lucky. And yes he played it all up.

Everyone should watch the old ESPN Classics and NFL Sports Century etc. on Namath. It might just change some minds.

I've got a copy of SB3 on NBC (in living color... lol) airing converted to DVD. Interesting shifts at the LOS. Jim Turners straight on 2 step kicks. Bob Hope as special guest. Johny U. coming off the bench. Player of the game got a sweet red Dukes of Hazards Dodge Charger. The Colts furious attempted comeback at the end. Namath called a great game. One of the greatest upsets in sports history. Good stuff...
yeah but Tebow , raised the dead , cured the sick and ran 95 yards for a TD ....at the same time , while wearing a jock strap 1 size to big ...........yeaah ;D

Dendave
03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Maybe Tebow can ask to wear number 12?

Kaylore
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
I like Joe Namath. He's always been straight up with people.